PDA

View Full Version : U Conn's 2002 move to I-A

terrierbob
October 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I didn't think much of the Huskies except for their BB teams. They're now ranked 16th in the big boy poll. Did they have a lot of playoff success when they were I-AA/

Dane96
October 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Nope

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM
1998 - Quarterfinalists (drew under 7000 for first rounder that they hosted)

That's their postseason history...

Seawolf97
October 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM
From what I understand as good as they are today -they could be a Top 10 team in 2008. Imagine UConn, Rutgers, USF and maybe West Virginia all in the top 15?

JohnStOnge
October 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM
One thing to realize about UConn is that they had the unique opportunity to go....after the transition period...from I-AA to a BCS league. Because they were basketball members of the Big East, they were assured of getting into the BCS football conference if they went I-A.

BlueHen86
October 30th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I didn't think much of the Huskies except for their BB teams. They're now ranked 16th in the big boy poll. Did they have a lot of playoff success when they were I-AA/
No they didn't, a few appearances, no real success.
It helps when you can move right into a BCS conference.

It's amazing to think that UConn at West Virginia could determine the Big East BCS entry.
Even more amazing to think that if West Virginia loses a game before then UConn might clinch the Big East title before it gets to WVU.
Officiating has been pretty good to UConn so far this year and they have made the most of it.

Seawolf97
October 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM
One thing to realize about UConn is that they had the unique opportunity to go....after the transition period...from I-AA to a BCS league. Because they were basketball members of the Big East, they were assured of getting into the BCS football conference if they went I-A.

Exactly-a luxury not many of the FCS elite teams have today.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Obviously with the money that has been invested in facilities for this program (new 40k stadium, new indoor practice facility, new football facility) and their proximity to NYC as well as a decent market in Hartford, they have access to every top level football athlete in New England as well as a fair number of blue chippers from around the country.

That's a far cry from what they had when they were in I-AA.

Seawolf97
October 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Both Uconn and Rutgers have been favorites with the New York media this season also- that helps big time.

aust42
October 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Their ranked 13th in the BCS rankings this week. UCONN was always a "middle of the pack" Yankee/A-10 football team. As Texas Terror pointed out only one 1AA playoff appearance in 1998. Good for UCONN this year and being ranked . Their move up to 1A was very unique and fortunate. They joined the Big East and already had national name recognition due to the basketball programs. Instant recruiting advantage and with some good coaching they could continue to be a player in the Big East. That South Florida game was a huge win for their program but they still have Rutgers and WVU to play.

PantherRob82
October 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM
UCONN still has a lot of football to play. Not that impressed so far.

BlueHen86
October 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Their ranked 13th in the BCS rankings this week. UCONN was always a "middle of the pack" Yankee/A-10 football team. As Texas Terror pointed out only one 1AA playoff appearance in 1998. Good for UCONN this year and being ranked . Their move up to 1A was very unique and fortunate. They joined the Big East and already had national name recognition due to the basketball programs. Instant recruiting advantage and with some good coaching they could continue to be a player in the Big East. That South Florida game was a huge win for their program but they still have Rutgers and WVU to play.

UConn's remaining schedule:
Rutgers
@ Cincinnati
Syracuse
@ West Virginia

I don't see them beating WVU, but they could win the first three. If they do, they could clinch Big East without having to beat WVU.

WVU has:
Louisville
@ Cincinnati
UConn
Pitt
WVU should win out, but you never know the way this season has gone.

ucdtim17
October 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
They obviously should have lost to Temple, so let's not get carried away.

UMass922
October 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm fairly certain that 1998 was UConn's only playoff appearance--at the very least it was the only year they ever won a playoff game and the only year they had a home game.

Of note regarding '98 is that UConn beat UMass twice in the regular season that year (UMass's only other loss was at Delaware in the season opener). The sudden departure of BU after the '97 season meant that A10 teams had to scramble to find another opponent, so UMass and UConn simply decided to do a home-and-home, with the second being essentially a non-conference game. Both games were close and exciting--UConn won in overtime in Storrs (44-41, I believe) and then again in Amherst in the season finale, 28-27 in the snow (I remember Marcel Shipp fumbling at the end of a long run very late in the game as we were poised to take the lead).

UConn beat Hampton in Storrs in the first round (I went, and it was indeed sparsely attended, though to be fair, most first-round games are--relatively, at least--because of Thanksgiving). The Huskies then lost to Georgia Southern in Statesboro in the next round. Had they pulled the upset, though, and won their semifinal game, that would have given us, unbelievably, a third UMass-UConn game in the same season--and for the national championship no less. I was definitely rooting for that to happen (though things turned out pretty well for us in the end nonetheless).

So '98 was a very memorable year for UConn as well as UMass, and it always makes me miss having the Huskies in the conference. A move to the Big East and a development/renewal of a rivalry with the Huskies is the only thing that could get me excited about UMass making the jump to FBS, should the chance ever come.

UMass922
October 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Exactly-a luxury not many of the FCS elite teams have today.

I believe that Villanova is the only FCS team right now that has membership in a BCS conference in other sports (the only one I can think of off the top of my head, anyway).

I wonder if the Big East would ever consider 'Nova for football, especially for the purposes of expanding to 12 teams and adding a championship game (which it seems to me is inevitably going to happen in every BCS league; it's only a matter of time).

BlueHen86
October 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
They obviously should have lost to Temple, so let's not get carried away.
I agree, they should have lost to Temple. They also got a lucky call against Louisville. But who is getting carried away? Like it or not, they have a legitimate change to win the Big East, although I think West Virginia will ultimately win it.

BlueHen86
October 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I believe that Villanova is the only FCS team right now that has membership in a BCS conference in other sports (the only one I can think of off the top of my head, anyway).

I wonder if the Big East would ever consider 'Nova for football, especially for the purposes of expanding to 12 teams and adding a championship game (which it seems to me is inevitably going to happen in every BCS league; it's only a matter of time).
Any chance UMass will try and follow UConn's lead and move up? I thought I read rumors a few years ago that UMass was thinking about it and could someday end up in a 12 team Big East football conference.

aust42
October 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm fairly certain that 1998 was UConn's only playoff appearance--at the very least it was the only year they ever won a playoff game and the only year they had a home game.

Of note regarding '98 is that UConn beat UMass twice in the regular season that year (UMass's only other loss was at Delaware in the season opener). The sudden departure of BU after the '97 season meant that A10 teams had to scramble to find another opponent, so UMass and UConn simply decided to do a home-and-home, with the second being essentially a non-conference game. Both games were close and exciting--UConn won in overtime in Storrs (44-41, I believe) and then again in Amherst in the season finale, 28-27 in the snow (I remember Marcel Shipp fumbling at the end of a long run very late in the game as we were poised to take the lead).

UConn beat Hampton in Storrs in the first round (I went, and it was indeed sparsely attended, though to be fair, most first-round games are--relatively, at least--because of Thanksgiving). The Huskies then lost to Georgia Southern in Statesboro in the next round. Had they pulled the upset, though, and won their semifinal game, that would given us, unbelievably, a third UMass-UConn game in the same season--and for the national championship no less. I was definitely rooting for that to happen (though things turned out pretty well for us in the end nonetheless).

So '98 was a very memorable year for UConn as well as UMass, and it always makes me miss having the Huskies in the conference. A move to the Big East and a development/renewal of a rivalry with the Huskies is the only thing that could get me excited about UMass making the jump to FBS, should the chance ever come.

Your are correct. 1998 was the only year UCONN made the playoffs. I did not realize UMASS & UCONN played twice that same season. I wonder if that has ever happened before in the regular season?

UMass922
October 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Any chance UMass will try and follow UConn's lead and move up? I thought I read rumors a few years ago that UMass was thinking about it and could someday end up in a 12 team Big East football conference.

UMass does have an FBS exploratory committee together at the moment, I believe, but according to the president that's something that's done as a matter of routine every few years and should not be taken as a sign that an upgrade is seriously in the works.

In any case, I would love to see it, and I certainly think (my obvious bias and all notwithstanding) that UMass would be a good fit in a 12-team Big East. With BC departing for the ACC, UConn is the lone New England team in the Big East, and so could use a natural geographic rival. Especially since UConn and BC are not playing OOC at the moment (and I'm not sure when they'll begin doing it, though I'm sure they will eventually), college football doesn't have an FBS rivalry in New England. I would love to see UMass and UConn fill that void and have it become one of those big-time "rivalry week" games. For that to happen, though, New England sports fans would have to start giving a rat's arse about college football. Perhaps what BC and UConn are doing this year might start to spark that, but we'd still have a long way to go, and I'm not getting my hopes up (much as I'd like to).

I believe Central Florida has its sights on joining the Big East eventually. That would provide a natural rivalry for USF. Add UMass, perhaps Marshall (to join West Virginia), and pluck one of the Ohio teams out of the MAC to give Cincinnati a natural rival, and that might be your 12-team Big East right there.

UMass922
October 30th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Your are correct. 1998 was the only year UCONN made the playoffs. I did not realize UMASS & UCONN played twice that same season. I wonder if that has ever happened before in the regular season?

I wonder about it too. I would bet it happened in the "old timey" days of college football, but in the modern era, it's the only instance I know of. Does anyone know any others?

terrierbob
October 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM
UMass does have an FBS exploratory committee together at the moment, I believe, but according to the president that's something that's done as a matter of routine every few years and should not be taken as a sign that an upgrade is seriously in the works.

In any case, I would love to see it, and I certainly think (my obvious bias and all notwithstanding) that UMass would be a good fit in a 12-team Big East. With BC departing for the ACC, UConn is the lone New England team in the Big East, and so could use a natural geographic rival. Especially since UConn and BC are not playing OOC at the moment (and I'm not sure when they'll begin doing it, though I'm sure they will eventually), college football doesn't have an FBS rivalry in New England. I would love to see UMass and UConn fill that void and have it become one of those big-time "rivalry week" games. For that to happen, though, New England sports fans would have to start giving a rat's arse about college football. Perhaps what BC and UConn are doing this year might start to spark that, but we'd still have a long way to go, and I'm not getting my hopes up (much as I'd like to).

I believe Central Florida has its sights on joining the Big East eventually. That would provide a natural rivalry for USF. Add UMass, perhaps Marshall (to join West Virginia), and pluck one of the Ohio teams out of the MAC to give Cincinnati a natural rival, and that might be your 12-team Big East right there.

How many "flagship" state universities are not in FBS?

BlueHen86
October 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
How many "flagship" state universities are not in FBS?
Quite a few...

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Delaware, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska
off the top of my head.

pete4256
October 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM

UConn beat Hampton in Storrs in the first round (I went, and it was indeed sparsely attended, though to be fair, most first-round games are--relatively, at least--because of Thanksgiving). The Huskies then lost to Georgia Southern in Statesboro in the next round. Had they pulled the upset, though, and won their semifinal game, that would given us, unbelievably, a third UMass-UConn game in the same season--and for the national championship no less. I was definitely rooting for that to happen (though things turned out pretty well for us in the end nonetheless).

Yes, the last I-AA game that UConn played was a loss to Georgia Southern in which the then-undefeated Eagles scored 50+ and ran for a then-playoff record 500+ yards, including about 230 by freshman Adrian Peterson. Ahh . . . the good old days. Of course I have no memory of what happened after we blasted Western Illinois in the semi-final and moved to 14-0.

UMass922
October 30th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Yes, the last I-AA game that UConn played was a loss to Georgia Southern in which the then-undefeated Eagles scored 50+ and ran for a then-playoff record 500+ yards, including about 230 by freshman Adrian Peterson. Ahh . . . the good old days. Of course I have no memory of what happened after we blasted Western Illinois in the semi-final and moved to 14-0.

UConn was actually still I-AA for at least a year or two more after that . . . I know we throttled them in the season finale in '99. That might have actually been their last game as a full-fledged I-AA (it was the last time we played them, anyhow); I think they started the transition the year after that, though they were a I-A independent for a few years before joining the Big East.

mathman
October 30th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I think Georgetown is another. That's another team that should "move up".

Teams like Villanova and Georgetown might be squandering their opportunity. They are sitting in a BCS conference and continue playing FCS. I'm sure everyone here knows that at lot of FCS teams are just dying to move to FBS where the big money and national exposure is. Even Kennesaw State is talking about starting football and going straight to FBS in the Big East. D'yeeeeahhh....I don't think so. xoopsx

UMass922
October 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM

Teams like Villanova and Georgetown might be squandering their opportunity. They are sitting in a BCS conference and continue playing FCS. I'm sure everyone here knows that at lot of FCS teams are just dying to move to FBS where the big money and national exposure is. Even Kennesaw State is talking about starting football and going straight to FBS in the Big East. D'yeeeeahhh....I don't think so. xoopsx

That's right; I forgot about Georgetown. An upgrade for them would be extremely unlikely, though, as they're struggling enough as it is in the Patriot League. I'm not sure the Big East would be terribly interested.

mathman
October 30th, 2007, 11:06 PM

In addition to geography and markets, conferences also look if the school's academic reputation fits in with the other conference schools. UMass would be fine but UCF is a little on the weak side academcially.

Blue Hen Nation
October 31st, 2007, 07:41 AM

Not really

CollegeSportsInfo
October 31st, 2007, 11:40 AM

Exactly. that's one of the issues that came up with UMass. It's like some people at UMass think a similar situation will magically appear for them. If UMass were to ever upgrade, it's MAC-City or being an indy. UConn had a great situation and took full advantage of it. Good for them.

CollegeSportsInfo
October 31st, 2007, 11:44 AM

The opportunity that UConn, Villanova, Georgetown and St. Johns had at the time (upgrade and you're in) was accepted only by UConn. That formal opportunity doesn't exist anymore as it was a 1 time thing.

Cobblestone
October 31st, 2007, 11:47 AM
To answer the question. UCONN actually had some success in the old Yankee Conference. The original YC was made up of New England schools and UCONN usually finished near or at the top.

Since moving to FBS they deserve credit for the facilities they have built and the head coach they hired (Randy Edsall). They are starting to have some success in the Big East. Unfortunately most of their fans are too busy getting drunk in the parking lots around Rentschler Field in order to care.

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2007, 11:51 AM
To answer the question. UCONN actually had some success in the old Yankee Conference. The original YC was made up of New England schools and UCONN usually finished near or at the top.

Since moving to FBS they deserve credit for the facilities they have built and the head coach they hired (Randy Edsall). They are starting to have some success in the Big East. Unfortunately most of their fans are too busy getting drunk in the parking lots around Rentschler Field in order to care.

You say that like it's a bad thing.;) xlolx

bkrownd
October 31st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Connecticut wouldn't have been in the 1998 playoffs if it wasn't for improvements resulting from their move to 1-A.

Connecticut was second in the all-time conference standings, fairly even with Massachusetts.

UMass922
October 31st, 2007, 04:45 PM
It's like some people at UMass think a similar situation will magically appear for them.

Not sure which UMass people you're referring to, but just to be clear, I'm well aware of the differences between our situation and UConn's. It's a wish of mine for UMass to be in the Big East someday, but it's nothing more than a wish. I wouldn't put money on it happening, and I'm not keeping my hopes up. I'm very content with our situation right now in the CAA.

bkrownd
October 31st, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have no interest in losing any more of our traditional regional opponents. I'd rather see Massachusetts play the ivies and patriots and Albanies and Stony Brooks and Hofstras than going to the BEast. Heh, that sounds a lot like our lacrosse schedule, actually. :)