PDA

View Full Version : Hero Sports FCS 2022 Attendance

GAD
November 24th, 2022, 08:07 AM
Hero Sports 2022 attendance
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-attendance-leaders-bzbz/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR0gxyupmZyXRJFt3SicvdjC1s9u4u2iklcaiz0qO llyo9ux41XEQ_dhtSA

MUMD
November 24th, 2022, 09:13 AM
Hero Sports 2022 attendance
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-attendance-leaders-bzbz/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR0gxyupmZyXRJFt3SicvdjC1s9u4u2iklcaiz0qO llyo9ux41XEQ_dhtSA

Not sure where these figures are from. Mercer's official attendance figures show 53,024 for 5 games or 10,605/game. That would place Mercer in the top 20 on this list...

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Half our stadium is closed for construction and we still outdrew 125 of y'all.

ElCid
November 24th, 2022, 11:30 AM

Have our stadium is closed, you have nearly four times as many undergrads as us and yet we had around 60% of your attendance. Hmm. LOL.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Have our stadium is closed, you have nearly four times as many undergrads as us and yet we had around 60% of your attendance. Hmm. LOL.
I like to think of it more like Charleston is a 10x bigger town than Jacksonville and we still drew double what y'all did.

katss07
November 24th, 2022, 12:36 PM
45th and 68th in attendance. Man that just SCREAMS FBS football.

ElCid
November 24th, 2022, 01:12 PM
I like to think of it more like Charleston is a 10x bigger town than Jacksonville and we still drew double what y'all did.

Except "most" local folks not affiliated with schools don't go to games. Right? So local populations aren't that important except that there might be more alum living close. So changing the measure from school population to the local one is really irrelevant.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Except "most" local folks not affiliated with schools don't go to games. Right?
That might be true for the Citadel.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2022, 04:56 PM
45th and 68th in attendance. Man that just SCREAMS FBS football.
I still don't understand how y'all can't draw more.

And spare me the "But Texas A&M and UT" thing. TAMU fans aren't even going to TAMU games at this point.

JacksFan40
November 24th, 2022, 05:03 PM
SDSU attendance numbers took a hit because of the Illinois State game only drawing 8,160. Without that game we would’ve placed 8th at 17,041. Still a great season for attendance.

JacksFan40
November 24th, 2022, 05:10 PM

And spare me the "But Texas A&M and UT" thing. TAMU fans aren't even going to TAMU games at this point.
A&M was still drawing over 90k at all games, and UT drew over 100k for all but one home game. SHSU is right in that area, so it’s not surprising they can’t draw much. Throw in being right next to Houston who draws 25-30k per game, as well as DFW with TCU and SMU, and San Antonio with a growing UTSA program. It’s really hard for a school like SHSU to compete.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2022, 05:42 PM
A&M was still drawing over 90k at all games, and UT drew over 100k for all but one home game. SHSU is right in that area, so it’s not surprising they can’t draw much. Throw in being right next to Houston who draws 25-30k per game, as well as DFW with TCU and SMU, and San Antonio with a growing UTSA program. It’s really hard for a school like SHSU to compete.

Right, because Jacksonville State isn't within 4 hours of UGA, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Florida State, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State.

Clearly we benefit from not having UT and TAMU in our backyard.

I mean look at how stuffed Kyle Field was this weekend.

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1594044674154586112

katss07
November 24th, 2022, 09:15 PM

Because Sam is a commuter school that has only turned into a more ”traditional campus/experience” within the past 10-15 years. Therefore, there is no prior fan culture and still little student engagement. We play in a high school-quality stadium. What kinda sicko shows up to “Bowers Stadium” for SHSU v Houston Baptist when they could drive home and watch SEC ball? AD makes no effort to get students to the games or bring alumni back to Huntsville on Saturdays. I know damn well that if I wasn’t raised a Bearkat fan, I wouldn’t attend games now as a student, let alone sit around for an entire game. And don’t expect this to change.

JSU’s ability to draw given their relation to P5 programs is an exception in the FCS. You know that. TAMU being 40 mins up the road absolutely plays a part.

tldr: AD blows, stadium blows, fanbase doesn’t exist

gofurman
November 24th, 2022, 10:54 PM
Furman (2700 students and many not from the area) draws almost 4X its student population to games .. 9700 or so. Attendance to student ratio that has to be top 10 maybe top 5. Many of the state universities with 10K students draw 11K or so.
Anyway, again hoping everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!

-though our attendance will probably stink for the playoff game. Our students are out - as most schools... that is to be expected. But also we have a real power in FBS Clemson (top 10 this year, still a chance at CFP, but a traditional National Title Player) 45 minutes away playing at the exact same time as our palyoff game! Most FCS don't have a recent national champion playing within 45 minutes of the campus. Bama or Clemson or UGA are the only 3.. Not only that they are playing their rival USC which will draw a full 80,000 fans and keep people home on TV as it isn't Clemson vs Miami Fl. Some Gamecock fans would come usually but now this game will draw them in too. Its everyone in our state and means everything to them. I bet we only draw 5-6K this weekend. Eh, it is what it is

ElCid
November 25th, 2022, 08:21 AM
That might be true for the Citadel.

Probably for all schools. We might actually bring in more non affiliated folks than most others considering the pageantry, but that segment is still very small. The local population isn't a significant factor in pulling people in. The local population of alum and their relatives, both within easy travel distance, is. Just so happens we have a boatload in the low country.

EKU05
November 25th, 2022, 11:24 AM
SDSU attendance numbers took a hit because of the Illinois State game only drawing 8,160. Without that game we would’ve placed 8th at 17,041. Still a great season for attendance.

I feel that. Our last game against Kennesaw State was only about half of what we'd averaged to that point.

clenz
November 25th, 2022, 04:11 PM
You guys have people go to your games?

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2022, 04:16 PM
You guys have people go to your games?
You draw more than 2 of the 3 FBS bound programs.

GAD
November 25th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Furman (2700 students and many not from the area) draws almost 4X its student population to games .. 9700 or so. Attendance to student ratio that has to be top 10 maybe top 5. Many of the state universities with 10K students draw 11K or so.
Anyway, again hoping everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!

-though our attendance will probably stink for the playoff game. Our students are out - as most schools... that is to be expected. But also we have a real power in FBS Clemson (top 10 this year, still a chance at CFP, but a traditional National Title Player) 45 minutes away playing at the exact same time as our palyoff game! Most FCS don't have a recent national champion playing within 45 minutes of the campus. Bama or Clemson or UGA are the only 3.. Not only that they are playing their rival USC which will draw a full 80,000 fans and keep people home on TV as it isn't Clemson vs Miami Fl. Some Gamecock fans would come usually but now this game will draw them in too. Its everyone in our state and means everything to them. I bet we only draw 5-6K this weekend. Eh, it is what it is
LSU won the 2019 FBS Championship, Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond La is about 35 minutes down I-12

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2022, 07:41 PM
Harvard way out in front of the Ivy with the Yale home game. But Cornell nosed out Penn for second place by 22, and Yale edged Princeton for fourth place by 1 (one).

Daytripper
November 25th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Right, because Jacksonville State isn't within 4 hours of UGA, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Florida State, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State.

This pic was taken in the second half. Everybody left to go back to the tailgates at halftime.

- - - Updated - - -

This pic was taken in the second half. Everybody left to go back to the tailgates at halftime.

OhioHen
November 28th, 2022, 09:21 AM

Because there's NOTHING else to do anywhere near Jacksonville, AL?

Or maybe it's because folks show up to see the Marching Southerners then vacate the premises.

MR. CHICKEN
November 28th, 2022, 09:27 AM

....WAS IT................. FREE MUSKRAT PROMO DAY?.....xdontknowx.....AWK!

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Because there's NOTHING else to do anywhere near Jacksonville, AL?

Or maybe it's because folks show up to see the Marching Southerners then vacate the premises.
You may be on to something with this one.

All I'm gonna say is I moved to Michigan for a reason.

clenz
November 28th, 2022, 12:16 PM
You may be on to something with this one.

All I'm gonna say is I moved to Michigan for a reason.
Money?