PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Portal Activity

Pages : 1 [2]

wcugrad95
December 1st, 2023, 03:35 PM
Couple of good ones from VMI in the portal. Twombly and Eller should get lots of attention.

Catbooster
December 1st, 2023, 07:37 PM
I suspect soon this thread will grow substantially.

Mike296
December 3rd, 2023, 04:42 AM
St Thomas WR Andrew McElroy(hope I spelled that right) entered the portal. Not surprised lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lionsrking2
December 3rd, 2023, 05:46 AM
New nomenclature once all the dust settles with realignment should be:

Professional College Football (PCF)
Semi Professional College Football (SPCF)
Amateur College Football (ACF)

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2023, 10:59 AM
[/B]
Yep. Totally illegal. NIL money cannot be offered by a school. It is an agreement between a player and company/business to use his likeness, etc., for $$$. It is absolute tampering and the NCAA won't do squat. They are a worthless organization at this point; totally at odds with their stated "mission".

Agree, but that’s rarely what’s happening. Virtually none of these kids are getting actual endorsement deals that is promoting the company. They all have “3rd party” NIL collectives. Coaches are no doubt working with the NIL collectives to secure the funds needed to land these kids. Hey, we need 800k to land Jim Bob Strongarm. This is who we want and you guys need to make it happen.

I wonder how long this will last, even in the insane world of college football boosters. Average to good players are getting 7 figures, all to lead dear old state U to another 7-5 record. Aren’t they going to wonder why they’re giving 100’s of thousands just to bring in some dud, or even average player?

Hammerhead
December 3rd, 2023, 11:10 AM
The coaches have to be involved if collectives offer big $ to players in the portal because I would be mad if I turned scholarships from other schools because I was promised a big payday and they didn’t sign me.

taper
December 3rd, 2023, 11:56 AM
[/B]
Yep. Totally illegal. NIL money cannot be offered by a school. It is an agreement between a player and company/business to use his likeness, etc., for $$$. It is absolute tampering and the NCAA won't do squat. They are a worthless organization at this point; totally at odds with their stated "mission".
Sorry, but this isn't even remotely illegal no matter how much we fans don't like it. No-poach agreements are a blatant violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the gov't actively prosecutes them. Offering someone more money than they're making now is a core component of capitalism and is not tampering.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 12:06 PM
https://collegefootballnetwork.com/transfer-portal-tracker/

Does anybody have a better link to the transfer portal, I use this one but it seems outdated or inaccurate, I know that NDSU has at least one guy in the portal that doesn't show up on this one

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2023, 12:12 PM

Does anybody have a better link to the transfer portal, I use this one but it seems outdated or inaccurate, I know that NDSU has at least one guy in the portal that doesn't show up on this one
I think for now only graduates can enter the transfer portal so that might be pretty accurate still. Peter Anderson at NDSU is an undergrad so, while he announced his intention to transfer already, I don't think he can officially enter the portal until tomorrow.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2023, 12:32 PM
I think for now only graduates can enter the transfer portal so that might be pretty accurate still. Peter Anderson at NDSU is an undergrad so, while he announced his intention to transfer already, I don't think he can officially enter the portal until tomorrow.
Ok. As to the site. I don’t like the search engine on this, do you know of a site that has better filters, such as conference affiliation or stuff like that.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2023, 12:35 PM
Ok. As to the site. I don’t like the search engine on this, do you know of a site that has better filters, such as conference affiliation or stuff like that.

probably easier to track who’s not in the portal

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2023, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure - I think any tracker is unofficial and based on news/social media chatter so I'd imagine trying to track it all has to be a nightmare.

uofmman1122
December 3rd, 2023, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure - I think any tracker is unofficial and based on news/social media chatter so I'd imagine trying to track it all has to be a nightmare.
Yes, it's not the official portal because some players are in there that haven't announced, or haven't been updated from social media, but it's as close as you can get without having actual access to the official transfer portal as a coach.

Hammerhead
December 3rd, 2023, 02:50 PM
I think they meant illegal as in against the rules/NCAA bylaws instead of breaking the law.

Sorry, but this isn't even remotely illegal no matter how much we fans don't like it. No-poach agreements are a blatant violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the gov't actively prosecutes them. Offering someone more money than they're making now is a core component of capitalism and is not tampering.

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2023, 03:06 PM
New nomenclature once all the dust settles with realignment should be:

Professional College Football (PCF)
Semi Professional College Football (SPCF)
Amateur College Football (ACF)

How would this apply across FBS conferences? FCS? Div II/III?

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2023, 05:54 PM

This is the ghost that Delaware saw and realized they needed to “Get Out” scary stuff

Puddin Tane
December 3rd, 2023, 09:32 PM

Well hell, i think they have every school but Lamar. I know we have a LB, Gotcher, in the portal. Led team in tackles in ‘22, 3rd string in ‘23. And a qb/wr, Chandler, on a hunt for a school that will play him at qb. Other than that, dunno. Nothing earth shattering……yet.

Puddin Tane
December 3rd, 2023, 09:35 PM

im thinking its a hybrid between #2 and #3…..a semi kinda sorta amateur for fcs

KPSUL
December 3rd, 2023, 10:50 PM
Heard today that Brosmer from UNH has been offered by the Minnesota Gophers.

Max Brosmer, UNH QB who completed his undergrad requirements a year ago but has 1 year of eligibility left, has 4 FBS offers and is visiting Minnesota. The NIL listed for him is available on portal websites - it is more than amounts that have been suggested here for FCS players. We also had two Defensive players who had graduated with eligibility left enter the portal. I believe tomorrow, December 4th the flood gates open.

peavy
December 4th, 2023, 03:45 AM
Max Brosmer, UNH QB who completed his undergrad requirements a year ago but has 1 year of eligibility left, has 4 FBS offers and is visiting Minnesota. The NIL listed for him is available on portal websites - it is more than amounts that have been suggested here for FCS players. We also had two Defensive players who had graduated with eligibility left enter the portal. I believe tomorrow, December 4th the flood gates open.

For those curious, he's listed on ON3 as the 9th best QB in the portal and their ON3 NIL valuation had him at $346k (info on how it's calculated here (https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/)). He committed to Minnesota Sunday night around 10pm cst per his twitter (https://twitter.com/maxtbro/status/1731519287884390786).

rhowdyram
December 4th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Four Rhode Island players have already announced for the portal, headlined by CAA Defensive Rookie of the Year Syeed Gibbs.

Sophomore third team CAA LB A.J. Pena has announced he'll be entering the portal. He was 4th in the conference in sacks this season.

Laker
December 4th, 2023, 08:17 AM
For those curious, he's listed on ON3 as the 9th best QB in the portal and their ON3 NIL valuation had him at $346k (info on how it's calculated here (https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/)). He committed to Minnesota Sunday night around 10pm cst per his twitter (https://twitter.com/maxtbro/status/1731519287884390786).

The Gopher starter and the backup have entered the portal. They must figure that Max will beat them out.

clenz
December 4th, 2023, 09:48 AM
The Gopher starter and the backup have entered the portal. They must figure that Max will beat them out.
Or they have been with Fleck for a few years and realize he's a fraud and a half.

SDFS
December 4th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Or they have been with Fleck for a few years and realize he's a fraud and a half.

Name anything associated with Minnesota that isn't a fraud. I say this as a Minnesota resident. The amount of fraud in this State is unbelievable. The amazing part is people are still shocked when more fraud is exposed and then they throw more money at it thinking it will fix the problem. Minnesota is some kind of delusional.

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2023, 10:36 AM
I would like to see A&T pursue Texas Southern's Andrew Body and Campbell's Hajj-Malik Williams. Williams specifically wanted to be an Aggie but our previous coaching staff pursed Yeager instead.

rhowdyram
December 4th, 2023, 10:36 AM
Bryant is losing Big South-OVC Offensive Player of the Year junior QB Zevi Eckhaus and second team senior DB Lake Ellis to the transfer portal

https://x.com/BillKoch25/status/1731692046849609970?s=20

KPSUL
December 4th, 2023, 12:40 PM

Well if he is a fraud he'll be exposed with Max at QB. The kid can understand and execute an overall offensive game plan and individual plays as well as anyone out there in college football land.

clenz
December 4th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Well if he is a fraud he'll be exposed with Max at QB. The kid can understand and execute an overall offensive game plan and individual plays as well as anyone out there in college football land.
Hope he likes handing off on most 1st and 2nd downs and then a number of third downs because "play for field position and not take unnecessary chances."

The guy transferring out after 2.5 years starting was the Illinois Gatorade POY" and set a ton of records in high school, averaged nearly 7 YPC when he did run in HS, 4 star recruit, top 15 ranked QB nationally, etc. and the Gophers are...well...the Gophers under Fleck.

KPSUL
December 4th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Hope he likes handing off on most 1st and 2nd downs and then a number of third downs because "play for field position and not take unnecessary chances."

If the MN playbook is that boring than they will be wasting Max Brosmer's talents. He is very good at getting the ball out of his hands quickly and efficiently, but he is also adept at finding more time in the pocket and locating his second, third and even fourth receivers in progression. He sees the field and reads the defense very well, both before and after the ball is snapped.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Or they have been with Fleck for a few years and realize he's a fraud and a half.This and more of this. That said, their starter this past year was atrocious but im.willing to bet most of that was due to Fleck.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2023, 01:39 PM
If the MN playbook is that boring than they will be wasting Max Brosmer's talents. He is very good at getting the ball out of his hands quickly and efficiently, but he is also adept at finding more time in the pocket and locating his second, third and even fourth receivers in progression. He sees the field and reads the defense very well, both before and after the ball is snapped.Let's just say this, if Brian Ferentz was running the Gophers offense versus Iowa's offense, I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2023, 02:06 PM

The guy transferring out after 2.5 years starting was the Illinois Gatorade POY" and set a ton of records in high school, averaged nearly 7 YPC when he did run in HS, 4 star recruit, top 15 ranked QB nationally, etc. and the Gophers are...well...the Gophers under Fleck.
When was the last time the Gophers had an impact QB. It seems like a wasteland for QBs.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2023, 02:08 PM
This and more of this. That said, their starter this past year was atrocious but im.willing to bet most of that was due to Fleck.

All the QBs at that school are atrocious and it was to be game planning.

clenz
December 4th, 2023, 05:09 PM
When was the last time the Gophers had an impact QB. It seems like a wasteland for QBs.
Adam Weber was fairly solid from 07-12...but when he's your high water mark you certainly have issues.

Leidner and Morgan were decent enough but far from being great or even good - Leidner more so than Morgan

However, none of them could touch Kaliakmanis for pure arm talent.

His dad was reached out to by a paper in MSP early in the week and all he would say is

“Trying very hard not to comment on a program that our family decided to cut ties with,” Alex wrote on X. “But want to set the record straight and will start with this. Competition with a mythical inbound QB was absolutely not a factor in entering the transfer portal.”

It's pretty clear that the relationship between Fleck and Alex went to ****, and having watched Gopher football (due to where I grew up, having MN family, following the B10, etc.) I know the Gopher history far more than I want to know. Alex wasn't a perfect QB, but he's going to end up at another power conference school. He isn't transferring and transferring down to the FCS, MAC, CUSA, etc. because he isn't as good as you thought he was coming out of HS. Another power program is going to take a shot on him because of his arm talent. The issue is Fleck is a fraud that caught lightning in a bottle at WMU and used it to get the Minnestoa job. Snake Oil salesmen. 2019 it looked like he might be a legit coach when he won the outback bowl. Outside of that 1 season he is sub .500 in conference play and has 2 winning seasons in 6 (6-3 5-4) and has finished 4th or worse in the west every year. He has built his record entirely on OOC schedules against MAC and FCS schools.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2023, 05:31 PM
All the QBs at that school are atrocious and it was to be game planning.The problem is, Fleck is a one trick pony and their QB this past year actually has the talent. Put him on a decent/good G5 school and they become contenders for their conference overnight.

KPSUL
December 4th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Adam Weber was fairly solid from 07-12...but when he's your high water mark you certainly have issues.

Leidner and Morgan were decent enough but far from being great or even good - Leidner more so than Morgan

However, none of them could touch Kaliakmanis for pure arm talent.

His dad was reached out to by a paper in MSP early in the week and all he would say is
“Trying very hard not to comment on a program that our family decided to cut ties with,” Alex wrote on X. “But want to set the record straight and will start with this. Competition with a mythical inbound QB was absolutely not a factor in entering the transfer portal.”

It's pretty clear that the relationship between Fleck and Alex went to ****, and having watched Gopher football (due to where I grew up, having MN family, following the B10, etc.) I know the Gopher history far more than I want to know. Alex wasn't a perfect QB, but he's going to end up at another power conference school. He isn't transferring and transferring down to the FCS, MAC, CUSA, etc. because he isn't as good as you thought he was coming out of HS. Another power program is going to take a shot on him because of his arm talent. The issue is Fleck is a fraud that caught lightning in a bottle at WMU and used it to get the Minnestoa job. Snake Oil salesmen. 2019 it looked like he might be a legit coach when he won the outback bowl. Outside of that 1 season he is sub .500 in conference play and has 2 winning seasons in 6 (6-3 5-4) and has finished 4th or worse in the west every year. He has built his record entirely on OOC schedules against MAC and FCS schools.

Apparently Daddy didn't try hard enough. Of course we all should give great credence to comments a father makes concerning his college football playing son - they are always so completely objective.

Athan showed better judgment than his Dad by deciding to truly not comment. While I wish him the best of luck finding a new home, a power conference may be a bit of a reach, Athan Kaliakmanis is currently ranked 65th among QBs in the portal. The mythical inbound QB is 10th.

JacksFan40
December 4th, 2023, 06:04 PM
Tanner Morgan was borderline elite in 2019. Unfortunately he declined hard each year after.

bonarae
December 4th, 2023, 07:12 PM
Oops... time to reopen the Gophers thread on the Other Sports category here on AGS? Seems like it's gone that way.

Paladin1aa
December 4th, 2023, 07:21 PM
I miss Marshall. We played 3 Natty against them winning two. Had become a big time rivalry.

JacksFan40
December 4th, 2023, 10:49 PM
SDSU got a transfer OL from Oklahoma. Marcus Hicks, brother of current SDSU DE Quinton Hicks. Was a former 4 star DE recruit who battled injuries. Will be interesting to see if he can make an impact if he stays healthy. I’d imagine he didn’t transfer with the intention of riding the bench as a 6th year senior.

Houndawg
December 5th, 2023, 07:56 AM
SIU has lost two of their best, WR Isaiah Hartrup and LB Branson Combs. Replacing QB Nick Baker will be Job 1

clenz
December 5th, 2023, 09:13 AM
SDSU got a transfer OL from Oklahoma. Marcus Hicks, brother of current SDSU DE Quinton Hicks. Was a former 4 star DE recruit who battled injuries. Will be interesting to see if he can make an impact if he stays healthy. I’d imagine he didn’t transfer with the intention of riding the bench as a 6th year senior.
If you're on scholarship at OU you have talent.

Looking at his career/articles about him are very confusing, though.

He switched from OL to DL and back.
Played about 5 total series in 5 years in 3 total games.
Battled a bunch of injuries it seems.
Then just apparently decided he wasn't going to play this past year. I didn't see anything that he was hurt, that he was in the doghouse, etc. just that he decided to talk away from the team in August.

Big body that clearly has/had talent. Seems like low-risk high reward.

UNI's first transfer was our long snapper transferring to Iowa State

ysubigred
December 5th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Anyone find a good link to the TFP? I've found plenty but not with FCS players?

YSU had a few entries.. seems a few upper-class men D side of the ball, to either get exposure or run from a dismal D coordinator and / or other coaches..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

technocat
December 5th, 2023, 10:49 AM
MSU has lost 3 off OL already. Jacob Kettles, Omar Aigbedion, and Rush Reimer. Not altogether surprising but still sucks...

Silenoz
December 5th, 2023, 11:20 AM
MSU has lost 3 off OL already. Jacob Kettles, Omar Aigbedion, and Rush Reimer. Not altogether surprising but still sucks...
Reimer might be addition by subtraction. I know that's a harsh take, and he's been a part of three dominate lines for three years as a starter, and has all sorts of accolades, and all of that speaks for itself, but I didn't see the same mean streak you see in guys like Omar or Perkins or Sain. Just my opinion.

Paladin1aa
December 5th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Anyone find a good link to the TFP? I've found plenty but not with FCS players?

YSU had a few entries.. seems a few upper-class men D side of the ball, to either get exposure or run from a dismal D coordinator and / or other coaches..

Neither reason is correct. This is about $$$$$$$$, plain and simple. I’m shocked but the offers keep rolling in. Michigan St, West Virginia , Georgia Tech, Liberty, etc. These are better players who are very good, FBS ready as talents who will collect from NIL. YSU hasn’t got the money to keep them. The gold rush is on !

ysubigred
December 5th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Neither reason is correct. This is about $$$$$$$$, plain and simple. I’m shocked but the offers keep rolling in. Michigan St, West Virginia , Georgia Tech, Liberty, etc. These are better players who are very good, FBS ready as talents who will collect from NIL. YSU hasn’t got the money to keep them. The gold rush is on !Agree, I forgot to add that. Crazy how free school, room, and board isn't enough anymore.

Paladin1aa
December 5th, 2023, 11:43 AM
BTW, the playoff teams have the better players in FCS. All should expect to potentially lose some of their better players to FBS. $$$$$$$ talks as D-I look to raid FCS for talent ready players.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2023, 11:54 AM
BTW, the playoff teams have the better players in FCS. All should expect to potentially lose some of their better players to FBS. $$$$$$$ talks as D-I look to raid FCS for talent ready players.
Yep... happened to NDSU last year when 3 contributors left right before the playoffs started and then 3 more would-be returning starters left after the national championship. So far this year it's been quiet for NDSU but we'll see once their season ends if it stays that way. If your school hasn't been raided by the portal yet it'll happen eventually - if not this year then in one of the upcoming years. I do know that multiple current NDSU players have received 6 figure offers to transfer with one as high as 250k.

You can either shrug your shoulders and let it happen or try to compete. NDSU recently launched an NIL collective and I've heard that YSU already has one that's raising more than $200k annually - more FCS programs will need to follow suit unless/until the NCAA is able to put guardrails up or else they'll be constantly pilfered by the programs that are. At most FCS schools this money is likely used more for retention than recruiting.

Paladin1aa
December 5th, 2023, 12:00 PM
Yep... happened to NDSU last year when 3 contributors left right before the playoffs started and then 3 more would-be returning starters left after the national championship. So far this year it's been quiet for NDSU but we'll see once their season ends if it stays that way. If your school hasn't been raided by the portal yet it'll happen eventually - if not this year then in one of the upcoming years. I do know that multiple current NDSU players have received 6 figure offers to transfer with one as high as 250k.

You can either shrug your shoulders and let it happen or try to compete. NDSU recently launched an NIL collective and I've heard that YSU already has one that's raising more than $200k annually - more FCS programs will need to follow suit unless/until the NCAA is able to put guardrails up or else they'll be constantly pilfered by the programs that are. At most FCS schools this money is likely used more for retention than recruiting.

Correct. We have an NIL collective. The problem is many FBS have more money to offer than we do.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2023, 12:15 PM
Correct. We have an NIL collective. The problem is many FBS have more money to offer than we do.
That's going to be every FCS teams issue but even a little $$$$ might keep an impact player or 2. As PC said it's more about retention then recruiting at this level.

ST_Lawson
December 5th, 2023, 01:34 PM

Good point. I'm not personally all that concerned about losing players from our team that hasn't won a game since October 2021.

BlueGoldAg
December 5th, 2023, 02:47 PM
Teddye Buchanan, the outstanding LB from UC Davis, has committed to Cal as a 5th year grad transfer. He'll be playing against his former teammates since the Aggies open their 2024 season at Cal next year.

ysubigred
December 5th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Good point. I'm not personally all that concerned about losing players from our team that hasn't won a game since October 2021.Was that against YSU?

BlueGoldAg
December 5th, 2023, 04:13 PM
In the past few days, 4 current NDSU players (3 of whom saw significant snaps this year) have announced that they're entering the transfer portal. Their timing means that they will not be participating in the upcoming playoffs. Any other FCS schools seeing similar developoments? I personally have mixed feelings about this... their careers/best interests vs. loyalty to their program and their teammates.

Personally, I think it's a lousy thing to do. Of course, there may be something going on beyond the scenes that these players feel alienated from the team. If not, and it's just for personal gain, then I think it's a pretty brutal slap in the face of their teammates and coaches. There's a lot of "me, me, me" in college athletics nowadays and loyalty is becoming an afterthought.

ST_Lawson
December 5th, 2023, 04:31 PM
Was that against YSU?

Illinois State, 10/30/21, in a year that the Redbirds finished 4-7 overall.

Paladin1aa
December 5th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Now an All - MVFC DE is in the portal. YSU is getting destroyed.

ysubigred
December 5th, 2023, 07:29 PM
Now an All - MVFC DE is in the portal. YSU is getting destroyed.Link?

bonarae
December 5th, 2023, 07:48 PM
Voy boards are forbidden at the work network. Any updates from the Patriot or Ivy Leagues about transfers out?

bulldog10jw
December 5th, 2023, 08:55 PM
Voy boards are forbidden at the work network. Any updates from the Patriot or Ivy Leagues about transfers out?

I think Ivy League transfers have been mostly, but not exclusively, graduating seniors with a year of eligibility left.

Clay Patterson of Yale is reportedly headed to Illinois for his extra year.

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2023, 06:50 AM
https://twitter.com/AthLinkd/status/1731871018036441423
...or even 'better'...
https://twitter.com/CoachHudAmherst/status/1731900974837449189

https://youtu.be/bwCeBhkjJbM?feature=shared

Paladin1aa
December 6th, 2023, 10:14 AM
The number of YSU D players in the portal has now grown to 10. Something is wrong in Guinville !

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2023, 10:15 AM
The number of YSU D players in the portal has now grown to 10. Something is wrong in Guinville !

No
just a sign of the crazy times

wcugrad95
December 7th, 2023, 08:34 AM
Looks like Desmond Reid from WCU is in the portal. Probably shouldn’t be a shock to anybody. Some on our board speculate that Kade Bell may be leaving for a bigger OC job and that is what prompted Reid to put his name in, but no hard evidence I can find showing Bell going anywhere (latest rumor is interest from Pitt). I expect Reid had opportunities already lined up and was going regardless of Kade’s situation. Reid was a legit all-American type player through the first 5 games before his injury.

Big loss for a Catamount team that had a lot of really good pieces coming back for 2024.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2023, 10:39 AM
MSU just lost Valdez. Another one of their best players...

I was thinking they would be the preseason #1 next year. That seems less and less likely with each passing day.

Mocdaddy
December 7th, 2023, 11:16 AM
I wonder how many players will not find a new landing spot or even "improve" their situation?

McNeese75
December 7th, 2023, 11:20 AM
I wonder how many players will not find a new landing spot or even "improve" their situation?

I would bet at least 50% on the conservative side.

clenz
December 7th, 2023, 11:31 AM

Not even close

https://x.com/farrellportal/status/1731862587501944888?s=46&t=gu_OVi2qbbOohgDXvCwx4g

Milktruck74
December 7th, 2023, 11:46 AM

FCS specific: about 1/3 of players who entered in 2019-22 were on scholarship the next season, and 36% were on a roster.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2023, 11:47 AM
Not even close

https://x.com/farrellportal/status/1731862587501944888?s=46&t=gu_OVi2qbbOohgDXvCwx4g

92% of what?

This study says only 36% of FCS players in the portal landed anywhere with a scholarship.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-transfer-portal-numbers-risky-move-for-athletes

Catbooster
December 7th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Not even close

That says 92% found a new "home". Is the corollary that 8% effectively quit football through the portal? It seems so. If they didn't find a new home it would seem they aren't plating football anywhere.

It doesn't provide any information on how many "improved" their position.

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2023, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=wcugrad95;3165667]Looks like Desmond Reid from WCU is in the portal. Probably shouldn’t be a shock to anybody. Some on our board speculate that Kade Bell may be leaving for a bigger OC job and that is what prompted Reid to put his name in, but no hard evidence I can find showing Bell going anywhere (latest rumor is interest from Pitt). I expect Reid had opportunities already lined up and was going regardless of Kade’s situation. Reid was a legit all-American type player through the first 5 games before his injury.

DELAWHERE?.................BAWK!...BUK-BUK-BUK!

clenz
December 7th, 2023, 01:03 PM
[FONT=Verdana]
That says 92% found a new "home". Is the corollary that 8% effectively quit football through the portal? It seems so. If they didn't find a new home it would seem they aren't plating football anywhere.

It doesn't provide any information on how many "improved" their position.
Define improved

Catbooster
December 7th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Define improved
That's why it's in quotes.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2023, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=wcugrad95;3165667]Looks like Desmond Reid from WCU is in the portal. Probably shouldn’t be a shock to anybody. Some on our board speculate that Kade Bell may be leaving for a bigger OC job and that is what prompted Reid to put his name in, but no hard evidence I can find showing Bell going anywhere (latest rumor is interest from Pitt). I expect Reid had opportunities already lined up and was going regardless of Kade’s situation. Reid was a legit all-American type player through the first 5 games before his injury.

DELAWHERE?.................BAWK!...BUK-BUK-BUK!

stop teasing Mr C

Has it been 10 years since Kade invaded Delaware Stadium now…

wcugrad95
December 7th, 2023, 03:00 PM
In other WCU news, one of our best guys on D is also in the portal. Andreas Keaton was 2nd team All-Socon this year and I am pretty sure has started every game he has been healthy since coming to Cullowhee 3 years ago. Reid apparently has 6 or 7 offers (most from G5 teams) and Keaton looks to have offers from Charlotte, Ga State, and Tulane.

And since typing this up, in the last hour I also see where our top WR Censere Lee is in the portal. Now look to be down RB1, WR1, and a top defender. The promising 2024 season keeps getting more challenging for my Cats.

Milktruck74
December 8th, 2023, 11:59 AM
In other WCU news, one of our best guys on D is also in the portal. Andreas Keaton was 2nd team All-Socon this year and I am pretty sure has started every game he has been healthy since coming to Cullowhee 3 years ago. Reid apparently has 6 or 7 offers (most from G5 teams) and Keaton looks to have offers from Charlotte, Ga State, and Tulane.

And since typing this up, in the last hour I also see where our top WR Censere Lee is in the portal. Now look to be down RB1, WR1, and a top defender. The promising 2024 season keeps getting more challenging for my Cats.

Does this mean the lustre is coming off the Bell?

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Does this mean the lustre is coming off the Bell?
Maybe, perhaps, those Players are seeking their Liberty FROM Coach Bell …

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Liberty_Bell_icon.svg/930px-Liberty_Bell_icon.svg.png?20171031083134

Libertine
December 8th, 2023, 02:55 PM
Maybe, perhaps, those Players are seeking their Liberty FROM Coach Bell …

xsighx xbangx

I hate you.

And I love you.

bulldog10jw
December 11th, 2023, 10:20 AM
Two Ivy League players, OL Jonathan Mendoza of Yale and Harvard DL Thor Griffith commit to Louisville.

wcugrad95
December 11th, 2023, 10:45 AM
I put it in the coaching thread around Kade Bell leaving to take the OC job at Pitt, but Censere Lee (WR1 from WCU) also got an offer from Pitt this week. Hasn't signed yet AFAIK, but hard to think he won't. I also put in there that I expect Kerwin to now be the de facto OC. RB and WR were the positions we were deepest at, so we will probably be OK there. Losing Keaton is tough for a defense that got incrementally better, but has a long way to go.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2023, 01:35 PM
Marcus Harrison and Anthony Woods entered from Idaho.

I have a feeling there will be quite a few more (possibly Hatten, Jackson, and McCoy) from that team this week.

Edit: McCoy officially in the portal, as well!

acbearkat
December 11th, 2023, 01:49 PM
The majority of guys who commit to FBS schools and top FCS schools are offered and verbally committed well before their senior season starts. As far as needing them to be seniors move it to 9/15 or 10/1 then. They do it in basketball with an early signing period 4-5 months before the late signing period.

Or just get rid of the early signing period altogether... I was all for it at first just because the Nick Sabans of the world were against it so I thought it must be good for the littler guys but I didn't anticipate it causing this cluster**** of player and coach movement in late November/early December that would be so disruptive to the FCS playoffs.

I believe the early signing period needs to be for early enrollees only. In my opinion, that would be a good change for the NCAA to make and I believe that would make it much less likely you would see head coaches being fired so early in the season (Michigan State being an outlier; Mel Tucker would have been fired early in the season even without the leak to USA Today).

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2023, 02:05 PM

I have a feeling there will be quite a few more (possibly Hatten, Jackson, and McCoy) from that team this week.

Idaho is going to suck next year.

KPSUL
December 11th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Dymere Miller WR from Monmouth has a boatload of FBS offers: Rutgers, Pitt, FAU, Texas Tech, UAB, N Texas, Memphis, and I probably missed a couple. I don't think he has committed yet.

Silenoz
December 11th, 2023, 02:31 PM

Basically sums up FCS.

Work hard to have a good team for the first time in decades. Watch it vanish overnight.

acbearkat
December 11th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Basically sums up FCS.

Work hard to have a good team for the first time in decades. Watch it vanish overnight.

They could end up getting some good players from Oregon State or Washington State.

Silenoz
December 11th, 2023, 02:56 PM
They could end up getting some good players from Oregon State or Washington State.
Idaho: "Do you accept NIL payments in potato?"

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Basically sums up FCS.

I've talked about this on eGriz, but I think the only way you can get ahead on this is to actively embrace it and become a sort of "feeder school" on purpose.

Go after borderline P5/G5 guys that would be monsters in FCS and promise "You'll start immediately, and we'll do everything we can to get you into the Big 10/SEC after 2-3 years."

Plenty of holes in that theory, but preaching "team-first" and "commitment" while dragging on the portal just gets you nowhere as an FCS coach now.

That said, I think I saw somewhere that it's still at least 2:1 the number of FBS dropdowns vs. FCS move-ups, so as long as you heavily recruit FBS guys, you should be okay.

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2023, 04:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned if they want to have the portal there should be some penalty for utilizing that like lose a year of eligibility. It would put the brakes on this **** going on. They used to make players sit out a year when transferring up. Getting rid of that rule ****ed the smaller schools.

taper
December 11th, 2023, 07:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned if they want to have the portal there should be some penalty for utilizing that like lose a year of eligibility. It would put the brakes on this **** going on. They used to make players sit out a year when transferring up. Getting rid of that rule ****ed the smaller schools.
The trouble is that pesky 13th Amendment that outlaws slavery. Courts are consistently taking a dim view of non-complete and anti-poaching contracts in the private world. The portal is just a stopgap to keep the courts from upsetting everything. Imagine no limits on recruiting periods.

Vandal03
December 11th, 2023, 08:35 PM
Idaho: "Do you accept NIL payments in potato?"
Idaho potatoes are not grown anywhere near Moscow. Idaho’s NIL payments will need to be wheat, lentils, and garbanzo beans. Could make a delicious soup for payment.

Vandal03
December 11th, 2023, 08:39 PM
Idaho is going to suck next year.

I disagree. Good programs can expect to lose great players each year. Losing good players doesn’t make a good program suck the next season. We were fortunate to have Woods, Harris, and McCoy and now there are opportunities for others to fill their roles.

Paladin1aa
December 11th, 2023, 08:47 PM
YSU is losing starters -

DE Wudke an ALL MVFC player
LB Howard with offers from Mich St. and Pitt, who we play next year
DE Lehrman
DB Trowers
DB Augustin
DLJohnson

Also losing backups-

DL Treadwell
DB Blake

and we lose our kick off man and backup PK Medvec

The D takes a major league hit.

Sitting Bull
December 11th, 2023, 08:50 PM
John Pius, our all CAA DL, will be going to Wisconsin. Great move for him. I think he is one of two Tribe players who entered the portal.

Looks like on the other direction we have some strong interest from the K at Cornell, apparently all Ivy.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2023, 09:45 PM
So all of these good FCS players are entering the portal to play college football at an FBS school and most likely start… no fun at all for the fans of FCS teams

So where will the displaced FBS players go to be able to Start/play? Lateral FBS move is risky so send em on down to FCS

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2023, 09:49 PM
Kansas State QB Jake Rubley is heading to Illinois State. This kid has some pedigree but was stuck behind Howard and Avery. I think he'll push for the starting gig right away in Normal...

gofurman
December 11th, 2023, 11:56 PM
Nope but I am a “don’t let the door hit you on your ass on the way out”. The company I used to work for early on would not hire people back if they left the company and wanted back in. Now it is a revolving door, I knew some people that left two or three times and were hired back and most were dip****s.

POD KNOWS. I like the quote at the bottom as your signature. Furman and NDSU agree on important matters !

Dusty Kitten
December 12th, 2023, 12:04 AM
You gotta admit the portal activity is fascinating - I'm not 100% sure its bad for FCS just yet

gofurman
December 12th, 2023, 12:08 AM
Furman dips into the transfer portal for very targeted needs.
Furman returns 38 players from its 44-man two-deep, lost both NG's to graduation.

So far Sirod Cook is Furman's only transfer pick-up.
Sirod Cook (5-11, 271 DT/NG) played for Wingate (D-II).
Has one year of eligibility left.
Career stats; 126 tackles, including 33.5 for-loss and 18.5 sacks.

with better players we are losing a lot of quality this year to the portal. DBs. LBs. DL. We could be decimated by graduation and portal.

*** part of our issue is we don’t have many masters programs. No MBA or masters in IT ETC. That is EXACTLY why a few are leaving. Need a masters in their field. Can’t hold that against them. We are just a small school of 2500 and about 500 grad students with only about 7 grad programs. Like I said no MBA or masters in IT etc. No engineering etc

y’all saw our defense vs Montana. (And Montana D theirs vs our O !). Neither team could move the ball. We beat UTC 26-7 in second round. SEVEN POINTS ALLOWED. So these guys are going to be sought after

Several D players have announced and one already has an offer from Georgia Tech etc. Of course you can enter the portal and return. Our best DB did that last year

gofurman
December 12th, 2023, 12:25 AM
let me ask. Do you all think the portal will create parity among FCS ??? Going forward ,….

I say that as the better teams SHOULD THEORETICALLY lose more quality players to G5 or P5. I mean NDSU or SDSU or Montana ( Furman somewhat this year ) or whichever team…. if they truly have more players of G5 and P5 quality vs teams that don’t really have that quality then the top teams should get “raided” more by the FBS. Leaving less difference between the top ten of FCS and say numbers 11 -30

thoughts? I am really curious here. I mean does Cooper Kupp leave for FBS in this environment and even the playing field. Does Trey lance leave as a junior for a P5 to get $$$

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2023, 05:41 AM
John Pius, our all CAA DL, will be going to Wisconsin. Great move for him. I think he is one of two Tribe players who entered the portal.

Looks like on the other direction we have some strong interest from the K at Cornell, apparently all Ivy.

Tribe also has a commitment from DE Breyden Byrd from Navy. Had 21 offers out of high school and we wanted him then. 4 years to play.

Sitting Bull
December 12th, 2023, 07:21 AM
So all of these good FCS players are entering the portal to play college football at an FBS school and most likely start… no fun at all for the fans of FCS teams

So where will the displaced FBS players go to be able to Start/play? Lateral FBS move is risky so send em on down to FCS

I think it depends on the school more than the classification. W&M I think has actually been ok, bringing more in than losing. We have few that enter the portal and the grad study opportunities are a big asset.

ngineer
December 12th, 2023, 08:21 PM
I think it depends on the school more than the classification. W&M I think has actually been ok, bringing more in than losing. We have few that enter the portal and the grad study opportunities are a big asset.

That is an opportunity Lehigh could have but can't because of PL policy against, as most of the other schools in the football portion of the PL do not have grad programs. Therefore, Lehigh would have an advantage in the portal game.

MUHAWKS
December 12th, 2023, 09:31 PM
I have an entirely different idea/theory for replacing portal losses at smaller FCS schools. Rather than try and grab the leftovers and FBS drop downs (which sometimes mean something is wrong with them) go the other way. Go after D-2 and eve D-3 STUDS who were under recruited or had monster years and would be HONORED to go to an FCS school. Think about this- all these FCS kids who were not good enough to go FBS but after 2-3 years are good enough to go FBS- That probably means there are a ton of NAIA, D-2 and even D-3 guys who would think of Monmouth or UNH or whatever as an FCS kid thinks of FBS..You have to really know what you are doing. Another idea is to take flyers on possible non qualifiers..For example- someone tell me how Monmouth landed this kid:

Willy Love from Camden NJ Eastside HS- a 3 and 4 star (depending on where you look) kid 6-4, 215 lb "athlete" who played DB and WR and had offers (yes grain of salt) from Georgia, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt, Michigan State and like 20 others..The Georgia guy who took Cuse job wanted him bad and something happened. I can tell you it is NOT a character issue..Must be academics.. I am sure if he is eligible he will use Monmouth as a stepping stone, but just throwing it out there. Anyway I suspect we will see more and more D-2 and D-3 and NAIA studs land in FCS,

Mike296
December 13th, 2023, 08:45 AM
APSU losing their HC again to a FBS school. This time it’s UTEP, last time it was Charlotte. Didn’t really work out for our old ball coach at Charlotte but he did turn us around for the better. I’m curious how Faris does. This new staff could lead to some weird portal shenanigans hence me posting this here.

Mocs123
December 13th, 2023, 08:58 AM
I see Furman QB Tyler Huff is in the portal - Great player. I thought he was a senior this year already but apparently, he has another year (COVID year I guess). Not that I'm going to miss seeing him line up against the Mocs, I really hate not seeing him finish his career as a Paladin. I'm not a fan of the portal at all, especially multiple transfers during a career.

neverobeyed
December 13th, 2023, 03:01 PM
You gotta admit the portal activity is fascinating - I'm not 100% sure its bad for FCS just yet

It would make for some really great info graphics.

Grizzlies82
December 13th, 2023, 03:21 PM
APSU losing their HC again to a FBS school. This time it’s UTEP, last time it was Charlotte. Didn’t really work out for our old ball coach at Charlotte but he did turn us around for the better. I’m curious how Faris does. This new staff could lead to some weird portal shenanigans hence me posting this here.

I'd wish the guy well. El Paso has been the home for awful football for multiple generations.
If he can create some consistent winning down there he will be in SEC before you know it. xcoolx

acbearkat
December 13th, 2023, 03:37 PM
I'd wish the guy well. El Paso has been the home for awful football for multiple generations.
If he can create some consistent winning down there he will be in SEC before you know it. xcoolx

UTEP is one of the worst jobs in the FBS. There's no natural recruiting base as there is little talent in that part of Texas. UTRGV will be fielding their first football team next year and that job will be one of the toughest in the FCS for the same reasons as UTEP. The area around the Mexican border has little talent, but this year one of the Brownsville schools made it to the state semifinals when typically Rio Grande Valley schools don't make it out of the second round just simply because they are outclassed in talent. In most years, El Paso schools don't get out of the first round of the playoffs. Also just like UTEP, UTRGV is a long drive from both Houston and Dallas.

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2023, 04:11 PM
JERRY KILL.....TOOK 'UM....(UTEP)....TA C-USA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME vs LIBERTY....FINISHRD 10-4....AN' HAVE UH BOWL GAME.....UTEP'S....3RD STRING QB.....PASSED FO' TWO TD'S....AGIN' FLAMES.....AFTERAH FIRST TWO....WERE DOWN
......WHIFF INJURIES.........SO TANK AIN'T EMPTY..........BRAWK!

unknown-swac
December 13th, 2023, 05:40 PM
UTEP is one of the worst jobs in the FBS. There's no natural recruiting base as there is little talent in that part of Texas. UTRGV will be fielding their first football team next year and that job will be one of the toughest in the FCS for the same reasons as UTEP. The area around the Mexican border has little talent, but this year one of the Brownsville schools made it to the state semifinals when typically Rio Grande Valley schools don't make it out of the second round just simply because they are outclassed in talent. In most years, El Paso schools don't get out of the first round of the playoffs. Also just like UTEP, UTRGV is a long drive from both Houston and Dallas.

If New Mexico State can win, UTEP can win.

Mike296
December 14th, 2023, 12:01 AM
If New Mexico State can win, UTEP can win.

It’s going to take a true mastermind to get anything going in UTEP(side note this also applies to UTRGV in FCS)

BisonBacker
December 14th, 2023, 08:42 AM
The trouble is that pesky 13th Amendment that outlaws slavery. Courts are consistently taking a dim view of non-complete and anti-poaching contracts in the private world. The portal is just a stopgap to keep the courts from upsetting everything. Imagine no limits on recruiting periods.

Oh give me a ****ing break. Are you really that dense that you compare a football scholarship and the chance to get an education to be the equivalent of slavery. SMFH.

FUBeAR
December 14th, 2023, 09:50 AM
Oh give me a ****ing break. Are you really that dense that you compare a football scholarship and the chance to get an education to be the equivalent of slavery. SMFH.
FUBeAR could be off-base here (wouldn’t be the 1st or last time), but he doesn’t really think that’s what taper was saying.

FUBeAR thinks, possibly, taper was referring, perhaps with just a bit of hyperbole, to the positions recent courts have taken regarding ANY restrictions that the organizing body (in this case, the NCAA) have tried to put upon individual student athletes, as well as with private sector non-compete agreements. He is not wrong. Courts are, and have been in recent years, swinging heavily to the ‘side’ of the individual over the organization in these types of cases.

OTOH - if taper believes receiving an Athletics Scholarship is anything akin to “slavery,” then he needs to buy a pair of Solomon Northrup’s shoes and walk around in them for about 12 years.

taper
December 14th, 2023, 10:58 AM
https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/15/johnson-v-ncaa-court-hearing-employment-status

The NCAA also uses a case, Vanskike v. Peters, as a legal precedent for their argument about why a multifactor employment test should not be performed. That case relates to whether prisoners are employees of a prison and its ruling cites the 13th Amendment and a so-called slavery loophole that states slavery isn’t legal unless it’s being used as punishment for a crime. The NCAA is not directly comparing college athletes to slave labor, but it is using that case as an example of a unique carve-out to avoid running an employment test.
Considering the NCAA is explicitly claiming they're exempt from the 13th in court filings, yes, I am apparently that dense.

BisonFan02
December 14th, 2023, 12:03 PM
https://youtu.be/Z5ZZ8bO9-Ig?si=01raJu2n7sUgjtGY

FUBeAR
December 14th, 2023, 12:33 PM
https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/15/johnson-v-ncaa-court-hearing-employment-status

Considering the NCAA is explicitly claiming they're exempt from the 13th in court filings, yes, I am apparently that dense.
FUBeAR, being a might bit cynical, likes to dig in deeper when he learns of such claims that become widely published, widely believed, and widely recirculated as ‘common knowledge.’

FUBeAR will admit that he doesn’t think he’s taken this all the way back to its root, but he may have.

And, FUBeAR will admit there is some nuance between your characterization of “the NCAA is explicitly claiming they’re exempt from the 13th in court filings” and what FUBeAR has uncovered has, perhaps, actually been the case with regard to your assertion.

Finally, FUBeAR will admit, documents may exist that support your claim - the actual court filings - but FUBeAR didn’t locate them with a fairly brief search.

What FUBeAR did locate is the NCAA citing prior court rulings where THE COURTS CITED VANSKIKE (1992) as 1 case, among others, as precedents for their ruling against applying a multi factor employment test to the student athlete situation.

And FUBeAR found dozens and dozens of articles repeating your assertion with varying degrees of inflammatory language - more or less all claiming that the NCAA is comparing student athletes to prisoners and/or slaves. FUBeAR believes even the legal scholar and obvious athlete, Rev. Al Sharpton, weighed in with a predictable opinion piece in the avalanche of similar opinions.

FUBeAR would be interested in reviewing any NCAA filings where the NCAA/their Atty’s specifically & directly cite Vanskike in their filings. Not citing precedent cases that cited Vanskike among other precedents, but the NCAA citing Vanskike directly and, explicitly, as you and a host of others have claimed.

FUBeAR was able to go as far back as the 2016 Berger v NCAA 7th District Court of Appeals ruling in which THE COURT CITED VANSKIKE as part of their opinion affirming the lower court ruling…

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca7/16-1558/16-1558-2016-12-05.html

OPINION SUMMARY
Former students who participated on Penn’s women’s track and field team, regulated by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) sued Penn, the NCAA, and more than 120 other NCAA Division I member schools, alleging that student athletes are “employees” within the meaning of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), 29 U.S.C. 201 and violated the FLSA by not paying their athletes a minimum wage. The district court dismissed, holding that the plaintiffs lacked standing to sue any of the defendants other than Penn, and failed to state a claim against Penn because student athletes are not employees under the FLSA. The Seventh Circuit affirmed. The plaintiffs did not plausibly allege any injury traceable to, or redressable by, any defendant other than Penn. Citing the Department of Labor Field Operations Handbook, the court reasoned that NCAA-regulated sports are “extracurricular,” “interscholastic athletic” activities and that the Department did not intend the FLSA to apply to student athletes.

Although “[t]he Supreme Court has instructed the courts to construe the terms ‘employee’ and ‘employer’ expansively under the FLSA,” Vanskike v. Peters, 974 F.2d 806, 807 (7th Cir. 1992) (citing Nationwide Mut. Ins. Co. v. Darden, 503 U.S. 318, 326 (1992)), the Court has also held that the definition of “employee” “does have its limits.” Tony & Susan Alamo Found. v. Sec’y of Labor, 471 U.S. 290, 295 (1985). “Because status as an ‘employee’ for purposes of the FLSA depends on the totality of circumstances rather than on any technical label, courts must examine the ‘economic reality’ of the working relationship” between the alleged employee and the alleged employer to decide whether Congress intended the FLSA to apply to that particular relationship. Vanskike, 974 F.2d at 808.

Looking forward to reviewing the documentation you find to, unquestionably, support your claim.

taper
December 14th, 2023, 12:45 PM
<snip>
Looking forward to reviewing the documentation you find to, unquestionably, support your claim.
I believe pay for play is inevitable. SCOTUS kept the Alston verdict narrow, but if you read the brief they were all but begging for more cases to be sent their way. The documentation will be readily available after the House, Johnson, and NLRB lawsuits finish. Courts take time though.

FUBeAR
December 14th, 2023, 12:59 PM
I believe pay for play is inevitable. SCOTUS kept the Alston verdict narrow, but if you read the brief they were all but begging for more cases to be sent their way. The documentation will be readily available after the House, Johnson, and NLRB lawsuits finish. Courts take time though.
Unrelated - FUBeAR wholly agrees that College Football is going to find a way to implode from the greed of almost all involved.

Just want to see that the NCAA / NCAA Attorney’s were stupid enough to compare their Members directly to slaveholders or jailers. Doubt they did, but obviously the media has construed that they did and this has become the popular narrative.

FUBeAR has a nettling desire to separate fact from fiction.

Paladin1aa
December 14th, 2023, 03:27 PM
YSU DB Augustin transfers out of the portal to FBS USF ( South Florida)

Puddin Tane
December 14th, 2023, 04:31 PM
JERRY KILL.....TOOK 'UM....(UTEP)....TA C-USA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME vs LIBERTY....FINISHRD 10-4....AN' HAVE UH BOWL GAME.....UTEP'S....3RD STRING QB.....PASSED FO' TWO TD'S....AGIN' FLAMES.....AFTERAH FIRST TWO....WERE DOWN
......WHIFF INJURIES.........SO TANK AIN'T EMPTY..........BRAWK!

huh?

Paladin1aa
December 14th, 2023, 07:37 PM
Losing Augustin to South Florida , Howard to WVU or Mich St. and Johnson to Pitt or Mich.St.

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2023, 09:41 PM
huh?

.....HUH?.....OOOPS!......MIXED UP NEW MEXICO STATE....&...UTEP...xembarrassedx.......DID AH MENTION...AH'M OLD?......AWK!

KPSUL
December 14th, 2023, 10:39 PM
.....HUH?.....OOOPS!......MIXED UP NEW MEXICO STATE....&...UTEP...xembarrassedx.......DID AH MENTION...AH'M OLD?......AWK!

Yeah you did, about 50 times this season - you're 77, but is that in chicken years or human? You know they say the memory is the second thing to go!

gofurman
December 15th, 2023, 12:53 AM
I have an entirely different idea/theory for replacing portal losses at smaller FCS schools. Rather than try and grab the leftovers and FBS drop downs (which sometimes mean something is wrong with them) go the other way. Go after D-2 and eve D-3 STUDS who were under recruited or had monster years and would be HONORED to go to an FCS school. Think about this- all these FCS kids who were not good enough to go FBS but after 2-3 years are good enough to go FBS- That probably means there are a ton of NAIA, D-2 and even D-3 guys who would think of Monmouth or UNH or whatever as an FCS kid thinks of FBS..You have to really know what you are doing. Another idea is to take flyers on possible non qualifiers..For example- someone tell me how Monmouth landed this kid:

Willy Love from Camden NJ Eastside HS- a 3 and 4 star (depending on where you look) kid 6-4, 215 lb "athlete" who played DB and WR and had offers (yes grain of salt) from Georgia, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt, Michigan State and like 20 others..The Georgia guy who took Cuse job wanted him bad and something happened. I can tell you it is NOT a character issue..Must be academics.. I am sure if he is eligible he will use Monmouth as a stepping stone, but just throwing it out there. Anyway I suspect we will see more and more D-2 and D-3 and NAIA studs land in FCS,

this is where Furman got our TE 89 Pline who did very well all year and scared Montana with several catches including that amazing final catch in regulation. He was D2 national champ in football and a big basketball player at D2. Six foot 7 inch.

now going to the Hula Bowl and declared for NFL draft !

gofurman
December 15th, 2023, 01:02 AM
Anyway. What other portal activity for anyone???

Furman lost yet ANOTHER all conference offensive lineman (Wyatt Hughes) to the portal today

McNeese75
December 15th, 2023, 10:54 AM
Nothing new for McNeese. Anticipaing a couple possibly but a winless team does not inspire, lol

clenz
December 15th, 2023, 12:31 PM
Nothing new for McNeese. Anticipaing a couple possibly but a winless team does not inspire, lol
Good news - everyone from last year is coming back. No one is transfering
Bad news - everyone from last year is coming back. No one is transfering

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Anyway. What other portal activity for anyone???

Furman lost yet ANOTHER all conference offensive lineman (Wyatt Hughes) to the portal today

Join the club, we've lost 4 lineman... DT all-big sky, OT all-american, OG all-bigsky, OG backup. Portal fing sucks sometimes.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2023, 01:41 PM
Join the club, we've lost 4 lineman... DT all-big sky, OT all-american, OG all-bigsky, OG backup. Portal fing sucks sometimes.
Though this may not matter to many, FUBeAR believes that all Furman Players currently in the portal have already earned their undergraduate degrees. Furman has a relatively narrow range of Graduate programs, particularly not offering any graduate programs in business or information technology.

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 02:55 PM
Though this may not matter to many, FUBeAR believes that all Furman Players currently in the portal have already earned their undergraduate degrees. Furman has a relatively narrow range of Graduate programs, particularly not offering any graduate programs in business or information technology.

I have less of a problem with kids that get their degree, I feel like doing so fulfills their scholarship obligation. All of our transfers are underclassmen.

clenz
December 15th, 2023, 03:27 PM
I have less of a problem with kids that get their degree, I feel like doing so fulfills their scholarship obligation. All of our transfers are underclassmen.
Scholarships are year to year.

Completing a year fulfills their scholarship obligation.

Many in the portal were encouraged to enter the portal because of such instances.

The portal and NIL have a **** ton of issues, no question. The idea of "kids are dumb, getting bad advice, no loyalty, etc." are vastly overblown for the majority of players in the portal. Look at Colorado and how they've been the last 12 months with Sanders. Now, note every program is as obvious and just egregious with it as they are, but you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think those same conversations don't happen at every school in the country with at least a couple players.

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2023, 05:07 PM

Many in the portal were encouraged to enter the portal because of such instances.

The portal and NIL have a **** ton of issues, no question. The idea of "kids are dumb, getting bad advice, no loyalty, etc." are vastly overblown for the majority of players in the portal. Look at Colorado and how they've been the last 12 months with Sanders. Now, note every program is as obvious and just egregious with it as they are, but you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think those same conversations don't happen at every school in the country with at least a couple players.

That's a good point about year to year, its just sad it's a free for all right now. I don't have a huge problem with the portal in general, but it can still suck from a fans prospective and hopefully the moves are what's best the kids. All of our big losses were to NIL paydays, hope it works out.

gofurman
December 15th, 2023, 11:02 PM
Any other SOCON portal or just graduations? Damn COVID I don’t even know who is done with eligibility. Trying to see the overall picture for 2024 for our conference.

Samford Peeps. Is Heirs QB done or Portal ? … WR Chandler Smith? …. RB Stanton? … LB Noah Martin?
All conference Center Jabari Brooks? —Gone to UCF

Chattanooga guys. I see Jamoi Mayes All conference WR is in portal. Y’all return a LOT on offense. Artopeus at QB and a lot on the OL. No more Ailym Ford but still…
What about **Jay Person** is he graduating ? That dude is a STUD. TWICE the D player of the year for the whole conference.

Mercer guys. What about all conference WR Ty James and all conference WR Harper? Have they graduated or portal? Or does either return? I see starting QB Carter Peevy is in the Portal w two years left

Western guys. I see these in the portal -
Desmond Reid killer RB. BIG HIT
Andres Keaton all conference DB. BIG HIT
Censere Lee best really good WR. BIG HIT
Giovanni Ricciardi. LB
Cade Snotherly WR
Hudson Jones OL
Terrance Horne. WR

BisonFan02
December 15th, 2023, 11:59 PM
I think the only thing that really annoys me about the portal is the wave of "COMMITTED" tweets programs send out for players (or players themselves) that are on their 3rd or 4th teams. xlolx

ngineer
December 16th, 2023, 12:49 PM
I think the only thing that really annoys me about the portal is the wave of "COMMITTED" tweets programs send out for players (or players themselves) that are on their 3rd or 4th teams. xlolx

Hah! Great point. The one term that our society has abandoned to the detriment of many things. "Commitments" to each other (marriage), social service programs (i.e. Optimist, Lions Clubs, Rotary, Kiwanis), religious institutions, and many more. The "C" word is to be avoided at all costs. I won't go further, otherwise, this gets shunted to the "political thread" in the Lounge!!xsmiley_wix

KPSUL
December 16th, 2023, 12:51 PM
Any Albany players in the portal yet? Many, if not most, of their best players transferred in so they may have to sit out a year if they transfer again.

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Any Albany players in the portal yet? Many, if not most, of their best players transferred in so they may have to sit out a year if they transfer again.
Nope - prolly not - that rule was just ‘temporarily restrained’

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/restraining-order-ncaa-transfer/#

Ain’t no rules man. Mercenaries charging open market 1 year rental fees is what we got now.

SFA 93
December 16th, 2023, 02:24 PM
SFA

OL: Justice Guillory 6-4; 325 (Sr.) graduate transfer to North Texas

2021 - All-American
2020 - Offensive Lineman and Offensive Newcomer of the Year (SLC)

KPSUL
December 16th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Nope - prolly not - that rule was just ‘temporarily restrained’

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/restraining-order-ncaa-transfer/#

Ain’t no rules man. Mercenaries charging open market 1 year rental fees is what we got now.

Wow, that is real bad news for college sports! We might end up with players using 4 years of eligible and earning few if any college credits.

BlueGoldAg
December 16th, 2023, 09:07 PM
UC Davis' outstanding nose tackle, Chubba Maae, has signed with Arizona.

CrunchGriz
December 16th, 2023, 09:52 PM

On the flip side of that, the thing that annoys me from the portal players is how they invariably put out a tweet that says something to the effect of "I am forever grateful to X University for the opportunity they gave me, am thankful to the coaches who trained me and gave me a chance, and will love my brothers on the X University team for life!"

Just not grateful enough, thankful enough, or with enough love to stay and fight with your 'brothers', apparently. Money talks, BS walks. It invariably sounds disingenuous as hell. Just say you're running after the money and be done with it. We can understand that.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2023, 05:11 PM
LB Alex Howard just fooled everyone. He finally committed to Texas A&M out of the portal. Had been considering WVU or Mich St. out of all his offers. Big loss for YSU.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2023, 09:23 PM
DL Anthony Johnson also fools everyone. Instead of going to Pitt or Mich. St he has committed to Illinois of the B1G.

wcugrad95
December 18th, 2023, 09:13 AM
Not surprising, but WCU's Dez Reid and Censere Lee show as commits to Pitt, following OC Kade Bell to the Panthers. Andreas Keaton looks to be signing with Temple.

topher99
December 18th, 2023, 09:28 AM
Elon TE Johncarlos Miller to Texas Tech. RB Jalen Hampton also has an offer from Texas Tech.

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2023, 12:50 PM
YSU DB Blake has accepted an offer to Toledo .

etiger
December 18th, 2023, 01:17 PM
Towson picked up UMASS QB Carlos Davis. Maybe the start of the transfer down pipeline? Let's hope so.

FUBeAR
December 18th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Towson picked up UMASS QB Carlos Davis. Maybe the start of the transfer down pipeline? Let's hope so.
LOL - he transferred to UMass from WCU and transferred to WCU from East Mississippi Community College and transferred to EMCC from Fort Scott Community College. Before that - Mergenthaler Vo-Tech HS in Baltimore - so he’s comin’ home after wandering in the wilderness for 40 years at 40 different schools … or so.

https://youtu.be/wREBD2og5iY?feature=shared

KPSUL
December 18th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Albany DL players Elijah Hills and Anton Juncaj both have entered to portal. Hills already has a wild and wonderful offer from West Virginia.

SeattleCat
December 18th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Any NDSU players hit the portal yet? I thought I had heard 5 or 6 of them were getting big NIL looks.

MSUBobcat
December 18th, 2023, 03:45 PM

How many players who were on scholarship (part or full) are being told their level of financial aid was being reduced tho? Colorado did it much different than most I would think. My assumption is that a very small % of those entering the portal are doing so because the coaches told them they were losing some or all of their funding (i.e. encouraging them to leave).

It is what it is. There will be kids at FBS schools that are way down the depth charts who will wind up at FCS schools for the playing time. The portal is more like a re-evaluation of talent. Out of HS, we thought you were FBS, turns out FCS is more your level, and vice versa (same with FCS and DII, etc.).

clenz
December 18th, 2023, 04:08 PM
How many players who were on scholarship (part or full) are being told their level of financial aid was being reduced tho? Colorado did it much different than most I would think. My assumption is that a very small % of those entering the portal are doing so because the coaches told them they were losing some or all of their funding (i.e. encouraging them to leave).

It is what it is. There will be kids at FBS schools that are way down the depth charts who will wind up at FCS schools for the playing time. The portal is more like a re-evaluation of talent. Out of HS, we thought you were FBS, turns out FCS is more your level, and vice versa (same with FCS and DII, etc.).
At the FCS level I bet there is a lot more, by a significant amount, kids being told "the partial you were getting is even more partial next year should you continue with us" or "next year you will only get "books" from us should you stay".

Schools can't put kids on scholarship that earned it - or increase scholarship to keep a kid - without something giving on the other end. Same thing with bringing in kids on scholarship beyond what the senior class may have freed up.

Professor Chaos
December 18th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Any NDSU players hit the portal yet? I thought I had heard 5 or 6 of them were getting big NIL looks.
Not yet but the new coach was just announced on Sunday and is still going through meetings with all the players so I'd guess they're holding off for now but wouldn't be surprised to see some big names (and big numbers) from NDSU hitting the portal soon.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Not yet but the new coach was just announced on Sunday and is still going through meetings with all the players so I'd guess they're holding off for now but wouldn't be surprised to see some big names (and big numbers) from NDSU hitting the portal soon.

Big numbers would surprise me after listening to Coach Polasek this afternoon

SeattleCat
December 18th, 2023, 05:25 PM
Montana State All-Big Sky DT

https://x.com/SebastianVldez/status/1736876624615006292?s=20 (https://x.com/SebastianVldez/status/1736876624615006292?s=20)

Professor Chaos
December 18th, 2023, 06:06 PM
Big numbers would surprise me after listening to Coach Polasek this afternoon
I hope you're right... his enthusiasm is infectious but I think there's just too much money sitting out there for some of these guys to say no to especially with the uncertainty around which of the current coaches will and won't be back. Will be important for them to keep one, ideally both, of their top QBs. Might be a ripple either way depending on what those 2 decide.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Albany takes another haymaker:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1737622246875676754

FUBeAR
December 20th, 2023, 06:32 PM
Wow, that is real bad news for college sports! We might end up with players using 4 years of eligible and earning few if any college credits.
Chattanooga thinks it was fantastic news…

https://twitter.com/thefieldof68/status/1737300647286804690

SFA 93
December 20th, 2023, 08:55 PM
SFA signs

DL: TREVION SNEED 6-1; 260 Mineola, Texas (Northwestern State)

WR: TYJUAN ATKINS 6-1; 190 St. Louis, Missouri (Southern Illinois)

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2023, 09:09 PM

From the NDSU Bison Fans Nation on Facebook

North Dakota State
QB Peter Anderson
WR Jake Lippe
DB Jenaro Ocama
DB Reggie King

Catbooster
December 20th, 2023, 11:52 PM
Summary of MSU transfer portal activity through National Signing Day (credit catsrgrood on bobcatnation):

Losses

Likely due to NIL opportunities:

Omar Aigbedion- OL- signed with Baylor
Rush Reimer- OL- signed with Cal
Sebastian Valdez- DL- signed with Washington

Likely personal/looking for more playing time:

Jacob Kettels- OL- signed with Kennesaw State
Jace Fitzgerald- LB - signed with UM Western
Kendric Bailey- S
Kade Cutler- DB

Additions

Rohan Jones- TE from Maine

Peems
December 21st, 2023, 09:06 AM
Summary of MSU transfer portal activity through National Signing Day (credit catsrgrood on bobcatnation):

Losses

Likely due to NIL opportunities:

Omar Aigbedion- OL- signed with Baylor
Rush Reimer- OL- signed with Cal
Sebastian Valdez- DL- signed with Washington

Likely personal/looking for more playing time:

Jacob Kettels- OL- signed with Kennesaw State
Jace Fitzgerald- LB - signed with UM Western
Kendric Bailey- S
Kade Cutler- DB

Additions

Rohan Jones- TE from Maine

Valdez is a beast, good luck to him next to year

POD Knows
December 21st, 2023, 09:24 AM
From the NDSU Bison Fans Nation on Facebook

North Dakota State
QB Peter Anderson
WR Jake Lippe
DB Jenaro Ocama
DB Reggie King
Heard Anderson ended up at Winona D2, none of the guys were really contributors at NDSU.

ElCid
December 21st, 2023, 09:35 AM

Except they aren't employees or workers. They are voluntarily committing to an extracurricular activity. So your trying to label it as slavery is ridiculous and nothing but narrative. Noncompetes and anti-poaching apply to employees, not voluntary participants in an activity. There are evil forces who have been pushing this. I hope they choke on their ill-gotten gains.

unknown-swac
December 22nd, 2023, 06:30 PM
An "extracurricular activity" that the institutions use them to make money from. If that's not the case, have your institution to just recruit kids with 4.0 GPA's and see how long your fans keep showing up for games. No one here would want that either.

Born a Rabbit
December 22nd, 2023, 07:49 PM
An "extracurricular activity" that the institutions use them to make money from. If that's not the case, have your institution to just recruit kids with 4.0 GPA's and see how long your fans keep showing up for games. No one here would want that either.

if the schools are ONLY using these kids to make money then WHY do they offer so many sports that lose money for the school? and they did it LONG before Title 9 rules so dont throw that out. for most schools EVERY sport other than football loses money
obviously it is different for every school and some do fine in an additional sport or two and some dont do very well at football

for the schools that make money on football the biggest use of the money is to pay for the rest of the athletic department. and yes i also know that most coaches at D1 level get paid well and some very very well. that has just become the price of doing business. if the market says that is what top schools have to pay a top coach then that is what they pay.

i am not saying there are not some people benefitting from school sports, but your argument is making it sound like the entire reason for the invention of college athletics was to be some sort of abusive system where one group of people lived high on the hog off the backs of another group. and that is completely dishonest!

individual sports, team sports, and even club sports were offered by colleges because there are a LOT of benefits for students being part of a team. i am not gonna try to list everything. you should be able to figure out plenty of the benefits. other students and college town residents enjoyed watching the activities and eventually a few of the sports could make some amount of money for different reasons

for the most part and ALMOST ALL college athletics the reason for their existence has NOTHING to do with making money. lets not try to act like everyone associated with college football is a modern day slave owner. lets also not act like a free college education is nothing just because a few schools and sports can make enough to give full scholarships and still make a profit

bonarae
December 23rd, 2023, 04:08 PM
Multiple-time transfers can play immediately in 2024...

https://footballscoop.com/news/multi-time-transfers-can-play-immediately-in-fall-2024-ncaa-memo-says

ngineer
December 23rd, 2023, 08:51 PM

The great majority of schools do not make money from athletics. It's either viewed as part of the educational process and/or a means by which to keep your alumni engaged with the school. It shouldn't be their 'mission' to create semi-professional sporting events. The ridiculous amount of money spent by collegiate athletics in the face of the education deficit we have is unjustified. We can still have high quality athletics in college without all the excessive accouterments that have appeared; and, unfortunately, it has infiltrated our high schools.

bonarae
January 23rd, 2024, 04:05 AM
Now... the coaches are saying that a Pandora's box has been opened... xsmhx

https://www.on3.com/news/weve-opened-pandoras-box-college-coaches-staffers-sound-off-on-untenable-calendar-the-lack-of-guardrails-around-the-transfer-portal/

FUBeAR
January 23rd, 2024, 06:17 AM

https://www.on3.com/news/weve-opened-pandoras-box-college-coaches-staffers-sound-off-on-untenable-calendar-the-lack-of-guardrails-around-the-transfer-portal/And it's an expensive box...

https://gridironheroics.com/ohio-state-buckeyes-nil-13-million/

REPORT: Ohio State Buckeyes Spent $13 Million and Counting in NIL Money in Attempt to Field Elite Roster
By Andrew Kusleika (https://gridironheroics.com/author/andrewkusleika/) January 18, 2024

The Boosters and NIL collectives of the Ohio State Buckeyes (https://gridironheroics.com/?s=ohio+state) have reportedly spent $13 million in NIL money to retain and/or add elite players to their 2024 roster, according to CFB Focus.

This $13 million number is what they’ve spent at this point. They are still looking to add Alabama Crimson Tide (https://gridironheroics.com/?s=alabama) transfer defensive back Caleb Downs (https://247sports.com/player/caleb-downs-46097147/). They are also looking to a couple more offensive linemen.

Miller Nash law firm partner Max Forer said in an article on Inside Higher Ed (https://www.insidehighered.com/news/students/athletics/2023/06/07/two-years-nil-fueling-chaos-college-athletics) that the current state of NIL is akin to an arms race, especially when considering the legislation that has become present in the NIL world.

Redbird 4th & short
January 23rd, 2024, 08:19 AM

https://www.on3.com/news/weve-opened-pandoras-box-college-coaches-staffers-sound-off-on-untenable-calendar-the-lack-of-guardrails-around-the-transfer-portal/

This !!!

Apologies if someone already highlighted these 2 situations .. this is completely nuts that this would be allowed. This portal thing is even worse than I thought. Isn't this blatant tampering ??

... #1 hit program on FCS to FBS list .. 10 of 15 Austin Peay FBS transfers were to UTEP, who just hired the Austin Peay HC Scott Walden

... #1 hit program on FCS to FCS list .. Gardner Webb lost 20 of 21 to ETSU ... and yes, ETSU just hired GW's HC Tre Lamb.

I do support 1 free mulligan transfer plus a grad transfer, or if you get your schollie taken away of course. But outgoing coaches taking 10 to 20 players with them is nuts. Coaches will now get hired based on how many guys they can poach from their current team .. this is just awful.

NCAA ... do you have any power left at all ??

FYI to ETSU and UTEP ... if they did it to their prior school, uh yeah, they will do it to you.

WestCoastAggie
January 23rd, 2024, 08:27 AM
This !!!

Apologies if someone already highlighted these 2 situations .. this is completely nuts that this would be allowed. This portal thing is even worse than I thought. Isn't this blatant tampering ??

... #1 hit program on FCS to FBS list .. 10 of 15 Austin Peay FBS transfers were to UTEP, who just hired the Austin Peay HC Scott Walden

... #1 hit program on FCS to FCS list .. Gardner Webb lost 20 of 21 to ETSU ... and yes, ETSU just hired GW's HC Tre Lamb.

I do support 1 free mulligan transfer plus a grad transfer, or if you get your schollie taken away of course. But outgoing coaches taking 10 to 20 players with them is nuts. Coaches will now get hired based on how many guys they can poach from their current team .. this is just awful.

FYI to ETSU and UTEP ... if they did it to their prior school, uh yeah, they will do it to you.

At the end of the day, many kids do not choose to attend our institutions and play sports there because of the institution alone. They're there because of the relationships with the current coaching staff. If those players want to play for that coach at another school, and they are eligible to do so, there should be no barrier in their way from their current school or the NCAA.

It's a new day and alumni/fans, as well as schools, have to adjust to the new environment.

Redbird 4th & short
January 23rd, 2024, 08:49 AM
At the end of the day, many kids do not choose to attend our institutions and play sports there because of the institution alone. They're there because of the relationships with the current coaching staff. If those players want to play for that coach at another school, and they are eligible to do so, there should be no barrier in their way from their current school or the NCAA.

It's a new day and alumni/fans, as well as schools, have to adjust to the new environment.

I think there are broader repercussions that outweigh giving in to kids to do whatever they want. For starters, who is getting pushed out of the way to make room for these 10 or 20 new scholarship players. So they just lose their scholarship and starting spot because a coach got hired and brought 10-20 kids with him ? And you can bet he didn't bring the 3rd stringers. Where does it end .. can no boundaries can be drawn when coaches change teams ?

Combine this with NIL, and you now have blown past the tipping point of no return. And these things are ruining college sports.

Tribe4SF
January 23rd, 2024, 09:42 AM
The truth is that the NCAA was set up for this by violating anti-trust and labor laws since its inception. A new model must be put in place and the NCAA must stop seeking an anti-trust exemption because they're not going to get it.

DFW HOYA
January 23rd, 2024, 09:53 AM
The truth is that the NCAA was set up for this by violating anti-trust and labor laws since its inception. A new model must be put in place and the NCAA must stop seeking an anti-trust exemption because they're not going to get it.

There are 1,100 schools in the NCAA. Try finding a new model for that.

caribbeanhen
January 23rd, 2024, 10:35 AM

Yep, either adjust to the new environment or just stay home

how many current fans will choose the latter?

My bet would be overall attendance continues to dwindle

Libertine
January 23rd, 2024, 10:38 AM

To regulate transfers, no. None at all.

FUBeAR
January 23rd, 2024, 10:56 AM
..and will soon lose any power to regulate eligibility.

kdinva
January 23rd, 2024, 10:59 AM

.....and we'll see more and more 24 and 25 year olds playing, some will wind up playing 70+ games in their "career".

Redbird 4th & short
January 23rd, 2024, 11:40 AM
Then the wheels and the brakes have all fallen off, if that remains the case. This is just nuts. Now a HC can leave school A and essentially take the best of both rosters and combine them at School B.

Or even worse, can threaten School A to give him a raise, or he will do that for School B. Then they can get in a bidding war over that HC .. with "student-athletes" all waiting in the balance to see who is transferring where, and who all is losing schollies or not.

Sheer lunacy.

caribbeanhen
January 23rd, 2024, 11:42 AM

You could play again xlolx

Milktruck74
January 23rd, 2024, 11:47 AM

You do realize there is a reason there is not an "alumni" football game at homecoming or a Seniors Tour in the NFL? NOBODY wants to witness that carnage!!!!

caribbeanhen
January 23rd, 2024, 12:09 PM
You do realize there is a reason there is not an "alumni" football game at homecoming or a Seniors Tour in the NFL? NOBODY wants to witness that carnage!!!!

I never even thought about that… and for the good reasons you mentioned

ST_Lawson
January 23rd, 2024, 01:23 PM

You'd have to have a busload of joint replacement surgeons on standby ready to go at a moment's notice.

FUBeAR
January 23rd, 2024, 04:12 PM
FUBeAR could snap for FG’s & XP’s … better than all these “4 Stars” who snap the ball into the holders’ bodies (cuz they have more leeway to miss the target with an ‘inside pitch’ and put the onus on the Holder to get the ball down) and hardly ever get the laces right. When FUBeAR snapped FG & XP’s, the Holder just had to stop the ball - it was over the tee/spot, laces out, perfect e’rytime 💯 💯 💯!!!

Can’t do Punt Snaps though … that would require running and contact and prolly can’t snap it 15 yards with pace anymore.

7 yards is no sweat…prolly do that until FUBeAR is as old as a President.

Think Poli-Grip, Depends, and Viagara have some NIL $’s in their marketing budgets?

We comin’!!!

ElCid
January 23rd, 2024, 06:58 PM

That is only the current interpretation. If it applies to college athletics then it could apply to any and all amateur sports organizations. The reason it doesn't is just due to money, not the law. That should confirm my first sentence.

Tribe4SF
January 24th, 2024, 05:34 AM
That is only the current interpretation. If it applies to college athletics then it could apply to any and all amateur sports organizations. The reason it doesn't is just due to money, not the law. That should confirm my first sentence.

As far as I know it does apply to all amateur sports organizations. High school kids are now getting NIL money.

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2024, 08:42 AM
Then the wheels and the brakes have all fallen off, if that remains the case. This is just nuts. Now a HC can leave school A and essentially take the best of both rosters and combine them at School B.

Or even worse, can threaten School A to give him a raise, or he will do that for School B. Then they can get in a bidding war over that HC .. with "student-athletes" all waiting in the balance to see who is transferring where, and who all is losing schollies or not.

Sheer lunacy.

This has happened. A major example is Coach Simmons leaving FAMU for Duke. He was seeking to get a salary close to what he received from Duke as a RB coach. However, their AD balked at this multiple times when his agent approached to renegotiate the contract.

So now, players are threatening to enter the portal this spring if they do not promote a coach from the staff. There was a near mutiny when she recommended former A&T Assistant and current Fort Valley State Head Coach Shawn Gibbs to the position. This after her #1 candidate Trei Oliver from NCCU used that open position to get a new contract from the Eagles.

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2024, 08:45 AM
As far as I know it does apply to all amateur sports organizations. High school kids are now getting NIL money.

And don't get me started on High School. In Los Angeles, the CIF LA City Section has been stripped down to its bones regarding talent. The best talent that would be playing at the public schools in LA (Many in South LA at primarily Black or Latino schools) are now at the elite private schools in the suburbs.

In football, it's Mater Dei and St. John Bosco, then everyone else. In basketball, it's Prolific Prep, Sierra Canyon, Harvard-Westlake, then everybody else. Just sad.

Redbird 4th & short
January 24th, 2024, 09:34 AM
This has happened. A major example is Coach Simmons leaving FAMU for Duke. He was seeking to get a salary close to what he received from Duke as a RB coach. However, their AD balked at this multiple times when his agent approached to renegotiate the contract.

So now, players are threatening to enter the portal this spring if they do not promote a coach from the staff. There was a new mutiny when she recommended former A&T Assistant and current Fort Valley State Head Coach Shawn Gibbs to the position. This after her #1 candidate Trei Oliver from NCCU used that open position to get a new contract from the Eagles.

yeesh ... this is exactly why all kids need boundaries.

Money always corrupts. Which is why no college athlete should get anything more than their tax free 30-40k schollie per year working a part time job, so to speak. Maybe 1-2% are "worth" more. The rest are paid adequately or over-paid. Plus most will have a college degree when they are done.

Transfers should be limited to following: 1 free mulligan, 1 grad transfer, and/or if you have your schollie taken away ... no more than that.

But .. the toothpaste is out of the tube now, what a mess !!!!!!

BEAR
January 24th, 2024, 10:50 AM
Ok. I know Montana fans find this interesting:

Clifton McDowell, QB:
2019 and 2020: Louisiana Lafayette QB.
2021: Kilgore College (Texas) QB
2022: UCA QB
2023: Montana QB
2024: Temple QB

Travelin' man. xlolx

caribbeanhen
January 24th, 2024, 11:29 AM
Ok. I know Montana fans find this interesting:

Clifton McDowell, QB:
2019 and 2020: Louisiana Lafayette QB.
2021: Kilgore College (Texas) QB
2022: UCA QB
2023: Montana QB
2024: Temple QB

Travelin' man. xlolx

Clifton was a rolling stone

wherever he set his helmet down was his home

and when he died, he left the Temple campus all alone…

TribeNomad1
January 24th, 2024, 03:16 PM
Clifton was a rolling stone

wherever he set his helmet down was his home

and when he died, he left the Temple campus all alone…

Good one! He falls easily to Tempations!

Redbird 4th & short
January 24th, 2024, 04:04 PM
very well played, sir !

FUBeAR
January 24th, 2024, 04:13 PM
As Coach Rick “SuperFreak” James once lustily implored…TEMPTATIONS SING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5xAtsXb8Vs

caribbeanhen
January 24th, 2024, 04:26 PM

oh that was good

and you’re in the over 60 club