View Full Version : Re: SoCon 2022 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 12

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2022, 11:02 AM
Saturday, November 19, 2022

Away
Home
Time
Here’s the story…

https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/mstate_logo.png?width=30Mississippi State (http://www.hailstate.com/)
12P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
12P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
12P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
1P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
1P

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
Still no movers between the GOT’s & NOT’s classifications this week, but Woffy & WCU would be making a run at Mercer, if the Bears hadn’t already slaughtered both of them this season.

Just so everyone knows, it is absolutely in the best interests of the SoCon, this season and longer term, for Mercer to beat Samford this week. Assuming Furman & Chattanooga are not upset by Woffy or WCU, respectively, if Mercer beats Samford, the SoCon will, most likely, get 4 Teams into the Playoffs. This will help those 4 Teams of course, but also it will help all SoCon Teams’ pre-season rankings next year. ALL SoCon Fans, including Samford Fans, should be rooting very hard for Mercer on Saturday. Feel free to offer your words of encouragement for our Bears in this thread.

GOT’s
1. Furman (6-1, 8-2 (#4 in FBS P5 ACC loss, Asterisked loss to highly-ranked FCS))
2. Samford (7-0, 9-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
3. Mercer (5-2, 7-3 (FBS P5 SEC loss, 2 losses to FCS Top 10))
4. Chattanooga (5-2, 7-3 (#17 in FBS P5 B1G loss, Loss to FCS Top 10, Loss to FCS that SHOULD HAVE BEEN Top 10))

———————————————
NOT’s
5. WCU (3-4, 5-5)
6. Wofford (3-4, 3-7)
7. CIT (2-5, 3-7)
8. ETSU (1-7, 3-7)
9. VMI (0-7, 1-9)

Mocs123
November 13th, 2022, 02:13 PM
ETSU - 7
Mississippi State – 48 – Furman fans see the score and are happy that Quarales is in Johnson City.

The Citadel – 21 – The Citadel wins the Silver Shako
VMI - 17

Wofford - 14
Furman – 35 – As much as the Terriers would like an upset, it’s not going to happen this year.

Chattanooga – 35 – The Mocs salvage what should be a playoff spot after losing hope of the SoCon Championship.
Western Carolina -24

Mercer - 27
Samford – 35 – Mercer really needs this win, but I’m not sure that they’ll get it this week. I think the Bulldogs edge the Bears at home and finish off a flawless SoCon season.

Power Rankings:
Samford – Undefeated in FCS play and have a chance to be the first undefeated team in SoCon play since 2016. I believe this season is Samford’s second ever SoCon Championship.
Furman – Fighting for that playoff spot. Win this week and they should be in.
Chattanooga – Can the Mocs reverse the fortunes of the past few years and finish the season strong.
Mercer – Looking for that marque win this season and this Saturday could be it.

Western Carolina – The Catamounts have looked really good at times. Can they get to a winning season (I hope not for the Mocs sake)
Wofford – The Terriers have surged late in the season.
The Citadel – Sorry, no credit given for thrashing a hapless D2.
ETSU – Are there any Bucs fans still on this board or have they all started talking about BB season?
VMI – Tough season for the Keydets. Would winning the Silver Shako make their season better?

SCPALADIN
November 13th, 2022, 02:33 PM
ETSU - 7
Mississippi State – 48 – Furman fans see the score and are happy that Quarales is in Johnson City.

The Citadel – 21 – The Citadel wins the Silver Shako
VMI - 17

Wofford - 14
Furman – 35 – As much as the Terriers would like an upset, it’s not going to happen this year.

Chattanooga – 35 – The Mocs salvage what should be a playoff spot after losing hope of the SoCon Championship.
Western Carolina -24

Mercer - 27
Samford – 35 – Mercer really needs this win, but I’m not sure that they’ll get it this week. I think the Bulldogs edge the Bears at home and finish off a flawless SoCon season.

Power Rankings:
Samford – Undefeated in FCS play and have a chance to be the first undefeated team in SoCon play since 2016. I believe this season is Samford’s second ever SoCon Championship.
Chattanooga – Can the Mocs reverse the fortunes of the past few years and finish the season strong.

Western Carolina – The Catamounts have looked really good at times. Can they get to a winning season (I hope not for the Mocs sake)
ETSU – Are there any Bucs fans still on this board or have they all started talking about BB season?
VMI – Tough season for the Keydets. Would winning the Silver Shako make their season better?

This is sarcasm right? You're delusional if you truly believe there's even a sliver of a chance a 9-2, top ~10-15, Furman team would be left out of the playoffs.

bonarae
November 13th, 2022, 04:03 PM
Mississippi State
The Citadel
Furman
UTC
Samford

843yapterrier
November 13th, 2022, 04:53 PM
Wofford by 90. Samford by 10.

Mocs123
November 13th, 2022, 05:10 PM
This is sarcasm right? You're delusional if you truly believe there's even a sliver of a chance a 9-2, top ~10-15, Furman team would be left out of the playoffs.

My belief is that the committee will not give the Paladins any credit for their win over D2 North Greenville so currently Furman has 7 D1 wins. If they win and get 8 D1 wins by beating Wofford this weekend, they are in for sure. If they lose, they only have 7 D1 wins and they will be clearly on the bubble - they may still get in, but it really depends on other teams resume.

I want the SoCon to get as many teams in as possible so I'll be pulling for the Paladins on selection Sunday (and the Mocs, and Bears). I'm just stating that the eyes of the committee they currently have 7 wins not 8.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2022, 06:04 PM
I'll be pulling for the Paladins on selection Sunday (…and Bears)
Sure, but how ‘bout on Selection-week Saturday?

Are you responding affirmatively to FUBeAR’s Unity Call that all SoCon Fans should be pulling for Mercer to beat Samford this week?

gofurman
November 13th, 2022, 07:01 PM
My belief is that the committee will not give the Paladins any credit for their win over D2 North Greenville so currently Furman has 7 D1 wins. If they win and get 8 D1 wins by beating Wofford this weekend, they are in for sure. If they lose, they only have 7 D1 wins and they will be clearly on the bubble - they may still get in, but it really depends on other teams resume.

I want the SoCon to get as many teams in as possible so I'll be pulling for the Paladins on selection Sunday (and the Mocs, and Bears). I'm just stating that the eyes of the committee they currently have 7 wins not 8.

I hear you. But the wins for Furman over #7 Chatt and #12 Mercer (on road at Homecoming!) are just about locks. That's really all Furman could possibly do - well, apart from not schedule a D2...

SCPALADIN
November 13th, 2022, 08:08 PM

Your original post stated, "win this week and they should be in". Now you're saying, if they win and get 8 D1 wins by beating Wofford this weekend, they are in for sure".
Which is it?? Both of your statements involve a win over Wofford. xeyebrowx

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2022, 09:15 PM
Anyone know if the originator of a thread can edit the name of the thread? And, if so, how? As y’all can see, FUBeAR screwed this one up and it’s aggravating the heck out of FUBeAR’s OCD.

Already tried…
1) editing the thread name in original post. Only changes display name of thread on that post
2) changing the thread name on all of FUBeAR’s posts in the thread. Same result as above.
3) Searched FAQ’s for assistance - couldn’t find anything

Mocs123
November 14th, 2022, 04:37 AM
Your original post stated, "win this week and they should be in". Now you're saying, if they win and get 8 D1 wins by beating Wofford this weekend, they are in for sure".
Which is it?? Both of your statements involve a win over Wofford. xeyebrowx

Obviously, I'm not on the selection committee but I find it hard to believe that they leave out any SoCon team with 8 D1 wins......but while 8 D1 wins is generally all but a lock to get in from the SoCon, it's not always true (look at Chattanooga in 2013) and if Chattanooga, Furman, and Mercer all end up with 8 wins, they could decide to not give us 3 at large bids. It would be a travesty for any of the three to not make it (assuming the Mocs were to beat WCU, Furman beat Wofford, and Mercer beat Samford) but it COULD happen (again see Chattanooga 2013).

So, to answer your question, I guess the correct terminology is an 8 win SoCon team "should be in" - so that would be Furman, Chattanooga, and Mercer if they all win this week. Of course, it may depend on how the real answer may depend on how the selection committee views us compared to a 7 - win Montana, a 7 - win Idaho, or a 9 win Fordham. The selection committee could decide that they aren't going to let the SoCon get more than two or three teams in and in that case they will have to pick and choose between the three.

If any SoCon team just has 7 D1 wins, they will be on the bubble and could get in, but it's a long shot, particularly this year. Furman would probably have a better shot with 7 D1 wins than Chattanooga or Mercer.

PaladinNation
November 14th, 2022, 05:37 AM
I watched the FCS Fan Nation live playoff show last night. Watching them place the at-large bids and struggle towards the end of the bubble is concerning for the SoCon.

The more I watched the more concerned I am that a fourth SoCon team will NOT get a bid. There are a few games still to play plus the coin flip between UTM and SEMO that are going to eat a bid or two.

Chalupa Batman
November 14th, 2022, 06:26 AM
ALL SoCon Fans, including Samford Fans, should be rooting very hard for Mercer on Saturday. Feel free to offer your words of encouragement for our Bears in this thread.

A loss this weekend means Samford is all but out of the seed conversation. I know you think that it shouldn't matter, the Bulldogs should be seeded regardless of this weeks outcome, but we all know that's not the case. If the roles were reversed (Mercer having beaten Furman & Chattanooga and Samford having lost to Furman & Chattanooga), and knowing that a win gets Mercer a seed and a loss means Mercer is playing Thanksgiving weekend, would you be imploring ALL SoCon fans to cheer against your Bears?

I watched the FCS Fan Nation live playoff show last night. Watching them place the at-large bids and struggle towards the end of the bubble is concerning for the SoCon.

The more I watched the more concerned I am that a fourth SoCon team will NOT get a bid. There are a few games still to play plus the coin flip between UTM and SEMO that are going to eat a bid or two.

I caught bits and pieces of that show last night, am going to check it out fully when I get time. They picked outcomes of this weeks games before seeding and selecting the rest of the field, and in past years they tend to precict results that will cause the most chaos xlolx. I know they picked Montana over Montana State, but if the Bobcats win the Griz will be squarely on the bubble. I didn't see how they predicted the Samford-Mercer matchup this weekend.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2022, 07:38 AM
A loss this weekend means Samford is all but out of the seed conversation. I know you think that it shouldn't matter, the Bulldogs should be seeded regardless of this weeks outcome, but we all know that's not the case. If the roles were reversed (Mercer having beaten Furman & Chattanooga and Samford having lost to Furman & Chattanooga), and knowing that a win gets Mercer a seed and a loss means Mercer is playing Thanksgiving weekend, would you be imploring ALL SoCon fans to cheer against your Bears?

Those don’t feel like encouraging words

thought where the bizuns roam, never was heard discouraging words or something like that…no?

The Cats
November 14th, 2022, 07:58 AM
ETSU at Mississippi State
Chattanooga at Western Carolina
Wofford at Furman
The Citadel at VMI
Mercer at Samford

Power Rankings (last week's ranking in parenthesis):

1. (1) Samford (9-1, 7-0 SoCon)
Next: Mercer

2. (3) Furman (8-2, 6-1 SoCon)
Next: Wofford

3. (4) Chattanooga (7-3, 5-2 SoCon)
Next: at Western Carolina

4. (2) Mercer (7-3, 5-2 SoCon)
Next: at Samford

5. (5) Western Carolina (5-5, 3-4SoCon)
Next: Chattanooga

6. (6) Wofford (3-7, 3-4 SoCon)
Next: at Furman

7. (7) The Citadel (3-7, 2-5 SoCon)
Next: at VMI

8. (8) ETSU (3-7, 1-7 SoCon)
Next: at Miss. State

9. (9) VMI (1-9, 0-7 SoCon)
Next: The Citadel

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2022, 11:26 AM
Tragic news from the University of Virginia - Former Football Player, allegedly, shoots and kills 3 former Teammates and wounds (1 critically) 2 other people. Unsure if the 2 wounded are Football Players or not. News says the shootings occurred on a bus while they were returning from a class trip to see a play in DC.

Posted here because UVA’s Head Coach, Tony Elliott, spent a few seasons at Furman before returning to his Alma Mater, Clemson. Also, Taylor Lamb, Bobby’s son, and former Appy QB is UVA’s QB Coach and former Furman WR, Dez Kitchings is Virginia’s OC. Some SoCon extended families definitely affected by this tragedy. Prayers and prayers for all involved and their families.

OrangeAndBlack
November 14th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Obviously the biggest game for Mercer since the relaunch of football in 2013. Samford has already locked up the SoCon championship. If Mercer can come out hot, is there any scenario where Samford starts resting players? I think it's unlikely but not impossible. They are playing for the best possible playoff seed, but any key injury would be devastating. Also if there's any key players that are banged up it could be an opportunity to get healthy before the playoff run. Mercer will be throwing everything they have at Samford, I just wonder if Samford might play this like a Week 18 in the NFL when it's all locked up (if things go poorly early)?

Mercer was favored by 11 in Vegas last week and they barely scored 11 points themselves. I'm interested to see how many points Mercer is getting this week as the underdog.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Obviously the biggest game for Mercer since the relaunch of football in 2013. Samford has already locked up the SoCon championship. If Mercer can come out hot, is there any scenario where Samford starts resting players? I think it's unlikely but not impossible. They are playing for the best possible playoff seed, but any key injury would be devastating. Also if there's any key players that are banged up it could be an opportunity to get healthy before the playoff run. Mercer will be throwing everything they have at Samford, I just wonder if Samford might play this like a Week 18 in the NFL when it's all locked up (if things go poorly early)?
No.

A seed is, essentially, worth 1.5-2.5 Playoff WINS (which is way too much of a reward, but that’s a different topic).

Chris Hatcher might be willing to offer up one of his testicles if it would ensure the Hounds prevail on Saturday.

Chalupa Batman
November 14th, 2022, 03:55 PM
Those don’t feel like encouraging words

thought where the bizuns roam, never was heard discouraging words or something like that…no?

I'm encouraging Samford to actually root for their own team! xlolx

I do get the sentiment for the rest of the conference wanting Mercer to win though.

OrangeAndBlack
November 14th, 2022, 03:57 PM
No.

A seed is, essentially, worth 1.5-2.5 Playoff WINS (which is way too much of a reward, but that’s a different topic).

Chris Hatcher might be willing to offer up one of his testicles if it would ensure the Hounds prevail on Saturday.

That makes sense and what I expected. Nothing wrong with that, Mercer has to earn it.

The good news for Mercer: They're 3-1 against Samford in their last 4 meetings. The only loss coming during the COVID spring season.

Samford hasn't been pressed in many games at all this year. In fact, they've scored 121 points in the 2nd quarter (38% of their points). They put people away early and often (only 64 points in the 4th quarter). For that reason, the big key to the game is not allowing explosive plays early. Get Samford into a game situation they aren't used to: A tight game late in the 3rd, into the 4th quarter. Easier said than done.

ElCid
November 14th, 2022, 04:08 PM
That makes sense and what I expected. Nothing wrong with that, Mercer has to earn it.

The good news for Mercer: They're 3-1 against Samford in their last 4 meetings. The only loss coming during the COVID spring season.

Samford hasn't been pressed in many games at all this year. In fact, they've scored 121 points in the 2nd quarter (38% of their points). They put people away early and often (only 64 points in the 4th quarter). For that reason, the big key to the game is not allowing explosive plays early. Get Samford into a game situation they aren't used to: A tight game late in the 3rd, into the 4th quarter. Easier said than done.

That's been their MO. But there D always failed them in the second half. The difference this year, is their D has held on. Only 91 points given up in 10 games in second half. Not bad.

OrangeAndBlack
November 14th, 2022, 04:17 PM
More Samford stats:

Only 3 interceptions thrown all year.

Opponents have a rough 12 passing TD / 9 INT ratio.

Samford is only 5/8 on FG kicking. (Mercer only 7/9). Too many touchdowns between the teams.

Both teams are cooking on 3rd down: nearly 49% conversion rate for each school.

A key difference is 3rd down conversion allowed: Samford allowing 40%, while Mercer allowing only 32%.

Last stat, Mercer is smoking on 4th down making it 15/18 times. I have a feeling Mercer will be lining up on offense on 4th down this Saturday.

Milktruck74
November 14th, 2022, 05:47 PM
So, the committee has the final decision....but....One Old O Lineman's ( full on center bar!!) opinion is any less than 4 from the SoCon is a travesty!!! Sammy, Furple, Mercer and Chattanooga all DESERVE to get in....There may be three, but who is left out (probably my Mocs),,,but they can beat about half of those with AQs.

Regardless of the committee's decision 2, 3, or 4...those in have got to bring the heat and garner the respect that SoCon deserves. Gotta win those first round games. A SoCon that is 4-0 in their first round will send notice!!!! in the eternal words of my Uncle Al Davis "Just Win Baby!!!!"

Chalupa Batman
November 14th, 2022, 06:10 PM
So, the committee has the final decision....but....One Old O Lineman's ( full on center bar!!) opinion is any less than 4 from the SoCon is a travesty!!! Sammy, Furple, Mercer and Chattanooga all DESERVE to get in....There may be three, but who is left out (probably my Mocs),,,but they can beat about half of those with AQs.

Regardless of the committee's decision 2, 3, or 4...those in have got to bring the heat and garner the respect that SoCon deserves. Gotta win those first round games. A SoCon that is 4-0 in their first round will send notice!!!! in the eternal words of my Uncle Al Davis "Just Win Baby!!!!"

A lot will depend on matchups too. If a team plays the loser of the Richmond/William & Mary game (most likely on the road) and loses 24-20 it wouldn't be a bad look. But if a team plays Davidson and wins 24-20 that would be a worse look than the hypothetical loss to Richmond or William & Mary.

FU_Paladin08
November 15th, 2022, 11:01 AM
ETSU loss at Mississippi State
Chattanooga win at Western Carolina
Wofford loss at Furman
The Citadel win at VMI
Mercer loss at Samford

That will give the SoCon 3 teams in with Samford securing a seed (Mercer out with no signature wins). As much as I’d like 4 teams in, I’d rather have 1 team with a seed. The SoCon needs playoff wins.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 15th, 2022, 09:49 PM
ETSU - 7

How much longer Quarles is in Johnson City remains to be seen as ETSU axed their softball coach the question today. I will not be surprised that Quarles get axed the question by this time next week.

Power Rankings:

This Buc fan lost any and all hope we had after the Wofford game. As far as BB season is concerned, things are looking up for both men's and women's teams. ETSU's volleyball team won the conference title and avenged their only conference loss a week or so ago.

bonarae
November 16th, 2022, 05:09 AM
How much longer Quarles is in Johnson City remains to be seen as ETSU axed their softball coach the question today. I will not be surprised that Quarles get axed the question by this time next week.

Autry Denson treatment, you say ye? xchinscratchx

Mocs123
November 16th, 2022, 05:27 AM

This Buc fan lost any and all hope we had after the Wofford game. As far as BB season is concerned, things are looking up for both men's and women's teams. ETSU's volleyball team won the conference title and avenged their only conference loss a week or so ago.

Does ETSU have the money to buy him out in the first year of his contract?

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2022, 06:19 AM
A lot will depend on matchups too. If a team plays the loser of the Richmond/William & Mary game (most likely on the road) and loses 24-20 it wouldn't be a bad look. But if a team plays Davidson and wins 24-20 that would be a worse look than the hypothetical loss to Richmond or William & Mary.

No consolation game in the playoffs

Milktruck74
November 16th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Does ETSU have the money to buy him out in the first year of his contract?

They might as well get rid of him, it seems as if they are paying salaries to more coaches NOT on their staffs than they are paying those that are.

kdinva
November 17th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Miss. State 53, ETSU 14
Furman 37; Wofford 21
UTC 41; WCU 35
Samford 35; Mercer 27
VMI 24; The Citadel 20

FUBeAR
November 17th, 2022, 07:23 PM

Away
Home
Time
And now you know………………………..the REST of the story…

https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/mstate_logo.png?width=30Mississippi State (http://www.hailstate.com/)
12P
MissState needs to recover from the whippin’ Georgia put on them last week and they might be tempted to rest their best to get ready for the Egg Bowl next week, but Mike Leach would love to get to 9 wins for the 1st time in his tenure and since 2017 for MSU. He will not be taking any chances. They throw it all over the yard. The MountainPirates are DeadA$$ Last in the SoCon in Pass Defense. StarkvillePups name the score.

FINAL SCORE: Mississippi State 69 - ETSU 6

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
12P
The Dildo Hat is on the line in this late season matchup of also-walked Teams. No one cares about this game except the Teams & the Alumni from both schools and they care a lot. Brent Thompson is Coaching his final game for the bellhops and he knows it. The BabyBlueBoyz HC has resembled those 1000 monkeys sitting at 1000 typewriters hoping to happen to type all the works of Shakespeare in a 1000 years - hunting & pecking for an Offense all season. The Keydets are still game, but they are ready to wake up from this nightmare of a season. Both Teams will appear to be inspired, but there’s gonna be A LOT of just going through motions on Alumni Field this Saturday. Coach W. is coming back next season and he’s gonna rally his youngsters to go hard and protect their turf. In a close one that’s still a yawner, the Dildo Hat goes to…

FINAL SCORE: VMI 24 - The Citadel 17

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
12P
Well, these UnConklinized YardBarkers sure have played like lions since Coach Androcles Watson removed that thorn from their paw, haven’t they…gave SoCon Champion, Samford, a bit of a tussle on short notice and then winning 3 of 4 against the SoCon NOT’s. Impressive! But, the FleaFlingers remain at or near the bottom of almost every statistical category 5 games into Coach Androcles tenure. So, yes, impressive, but not impressive enough to be competitive with the soon-to-be SoCon Champion Paladins. Furman sends a pre-playoff message and dominates.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 52 - Wofford 13

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
1P
Welp…here we are again. First came “ChattaQuitta, Part I - Coming Up Shorter Than Short.” Then, last year, we saw the sequel, “ChattaQuitta, Part II - Agent Orange, Kill me Twice.” Are we, this week, going to see Act III, the final act, of “ChattaQuitta, Part III - The Final Letdown?” Every Team in the SoCon and their fan base (except WCU), is pulling for the Mocs to win this game. The Cats are not nearly as talented or as experienced as the SnakeBirds and this game should be a rout. But, the streaky Cats are on a hot streak and it just doesn’t seem we have any good reason to trust that the Mocks aren’t gonna show the same colors we’ve seen the past 2 seasons. A HEARTBREAKER for Chattanooga and for the SoCon…

FINAL SCORE: WCU 30 - Chattanooga 24

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
1P
Samford is an excellent Football Team that FUBeAR expects will have a nice Playoff run, unless they have to face Furman in the 2nd Round. Mercer is also an excellent Football Team. In the Bears’ 2 SoCon losses, they only scored 1 less Offensive TD than their opponents. While Mercer struggled to run the ball in both of those games, facing 2 of the Top 3 Rush D’s in the SoCon (Mercer is #2), the games turned, mostly on other issues - turnovers, special Teams, etc. Point is…there are 4 excellent Football Teams in the SoCon, and right now, it may appear that Mercer is a distant 4th on that list, but the width of the distance between Top Team all the way to Team4 can best be measured by the total width of 1 to 3 certain type of human body hairs. So…on to the game. Mercer has played for their Playoff lives before. They dang near pulled it off last year against a Quarterfinalist. Samford has never played while they’ve already clinched the SoCon Championship & the AutoBid. That’s gonna be enough of a motivational difference to get the Bears over the top in this one, pull off the upset, and make their 1st appearance in the FCS Playoffs in Maconga next Saturday.

FINAL SCORE: Mercer 38 - Samford 35

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
Still no movers between the GOT’s & NOT’s classifications this week, but Woffy & WCU would be making a run at Mercer, if the Bears hadn’t already slaughtered both of them this season.

Just so everyone knows, it is absolutely in the best interests of the SoCon, this season and longer term, for Mercer to beat Samford this week. Assuming Furman & Chattanooga are not upset by Woffy or WCU, respectively, if Mercer beats Samford, the SoCon will, most likely, get 4 Teams into the Playoffs. This will help those 4 Teams of course, but also it will help all SoCon Teams’ pre-season rankings next year. ALL SoCon Fans, including Samford Fans, should be rooting very hard for Mercer on Saturday. Feel free to offer your words of encouragement for our Bears in this thread.

GOT’s
1. Furman (6-1, 8-2 (#4 in FBS P5 ACC loss, Asterisked loss to highly-ranked FCS))
2. Samford (7-0, 9-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
3. Mercer (5-2, 7-3 (FBS P5 SEC loss, 2 losses to FCS Top 10))
4. Chattanooga (5-2, 7-3 (#17 in FBS P5 B1G loss, Loss to FCS Top 10, Loss to FCS that SHOULD HAVE BEEN Top 10))

———————————————
NOT’s
5. WCU (3-4, 5-5)
6. Wofford (3-4, 3-7)
7. CIT (2-5, 3-7)
8. ETSU (1-7, 3-7)
9. VMI (0-7, 1-9)

Chalupa Batman
November 17th, 2022, 09:00 PM
No consolation game in the playoffs

I was talking more about the conference as a whole. Villanova struggling with Holy Cross was used as ammo for people to say the CAA was overrated, but people didn’t use Montana getting manhandled by JMU to make the same argument about the Big Sky.

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2022, 09:14 PM
I was talking more about the conference as a whole. Villanova struggling with Holy Cross was used as ammo for people to say the CAA was overrated, but people didn’t use Montana getting manhandled by JMU to make the same argument about the Big Sky.

Yea I know what you were saying kinda but do you know what I was saying ?

Chalupa Batman
November 17th, 2022, 10:16 PM

I do, as far as each team goes I don’t disagree with it.

FUBeAR
November 17th, 2022, 11:47 PM

FUBeAR sure did make that argument…and do you 2 need to get a room somewhere…else?

Chalupa Batman
November 18th, 2022, 05:57 AM
FUBeAR sure did make that argument…and do you 2 need to get a room somewhere…else?

I'm sure there were a few people using that Montana game to criticize the Big Sky and a few people defending the CAA after that Villanova game but I remember most people doing the opposite, defending the Big Sky and ragging on the CAA.

UNHWildcat18
November 18th, 2022, 07:28 AM
Furman wins to get in at 9-2, Samford beats mercer and gets in at 10-1, UTC wins and gets in at 8-3

Socon gets
Samford as a seed at 10-1
Furman and UTC as at larges
Mercer stays home at 7-4

FUBeAR
November 18th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Furman wins to get in at 9-2, Samford beats mercer and gets in at 10-1, UTC wins and gets in at 8-3

Socon gets
Samford as a seed at 10-1
Furman and UTC as at larges
Mercer stays home at 7-4quite possible, but in a righteous, true & just world…

SoCon gets
Samford as a seed at 9-2
Furman as a seed at 9-2
Chattanooga and Mercer as at larges

FUBeAR
November 18th, 2022, 07:43 AM
I'm sure there were a few people using that Montana game to criticize the Big Sky and a few people defending the CAA after that Villanova game but I remember most people doing the opposite, defending the Big Sky and ragging on the CAA.
Nah…FUBeAR never misses an opportunity to point out the fallacious ‘strength’ of the Big Lie Conference. That’s why, he’s very quick to recall the most recent matchup (in the Playoffs) between a Big Lie perennial powerhouse and a SoCon Team…

WEBER STATE -VS- CHATTANOOGA

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Weber State

Chattanooga

Qtr
Time
WSU
UTC

1st
09:36

1st
04:29

2nd
13:51

2nd
02:17

3rd
10:39

3rd
03:34

4th
13:53

4th
05:39

4th
03:32

31-0 & 45-7 at points during the game. The 45-14 Final Score doesn’t even begin to tell the story of what a rout and a mismatch this game was from kickoff to final whistle.

Catamount87
November 18th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Catamount spent this week in Vegas, he came home a little poorer. So, takes these predictions with a grain of salt.

Predictions
ETSU at Mississippi State: Long gone is the day the pirates whipped an SEC team
Chattanooga at Western Carolina: Mocs bounce back but the Cats give them all they can handle
Wofford at Furman: Terriers keep it interesting
The Citadel at VMI: always a "flip a coin" prediction
Mercer at Samford: Bears make a game of it as they try to stay off the bubble but the Dogs hold on, barely.

Power Rankings
1. Samford - Still the top dog
2. Furman - surging ahead like they have something to prove but still a bit suspect in my book
3. Chattanooga - a little fade of late
4. Mercer - not very impressive against the other top SoCon teams
5. Western Carolina - could be better with more discipline
6. Wofford - becoming dangerous now they understand the forward pass
7. The Citadel - smoldering dumpster
8. ETSU - 3 alarm dumpster fire
9. VMI - location as expected

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2022, 07:04 AM

JMU was different, Montana getting manhandled by them was no surprise and really shouldn’t of had an effect on the way people view the Big Sky.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 07:31 AM
JMU was different, Montana getting manhandled by them was no surprise and really shouldn’t of had an effect on the way people view the Big Sky.
https://soconsports.com/images/2020/10/1/SoCon_primary_logo.jpg?width=1416&height=797&mode=crop&format=jpg&quality=90

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 09:42 AM
https://twitter.com/paladinfootball/status/1593771795206881282

Holding the Memorial Service at UVa today. Prayers for all involved. Nice touch by the good people at FU.

8 men in the Virginia Football Program with deep Furman ties. FUBeAR knows most and is definitely praying for them as they lead the program thru this. Everyone there is blessed to have these men in leadership at this most difficult time.

Tony Elliott
Dez Kitchings
Adam Mims
Jaylan Reid
Carroll McCray
Taylor Lamb
Adam Smotherman
Eddie Chavez

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Watching Wofford go up and down the field against Furman on the first two drives makes me hate Conklin.

I was wrong about this team. Our defense is not good. Our offense is actually a solid 6.5 out of 10 post-Conklin. Our defense probably looked better to start the season because teams didn't need to run it up on us.

I don't expect Wofford to win this one. Our defense isn't good with shoot outs. More likely Furman adjusts and wins comfortably.

If we can improve our defense with a defensive minded HC hire, retain Watson, and build on the progress of the last 6 weeks of the season, no doubt in my mind we can be a team with a winning record next year.

Who we hire though, is the key. I don't think Watson has earned having the interim tag removed, but he's definitely earned retention as OC. That's just my powerless opinion though.

ElCid
November 19th, 2022, 02:26 PM
My Dogs hang on with late INT in end zone. Great win, but saddened by the hurt VMI player. It is very serious and his status is unknown. Taken off on a stretcher right before end of game.

Catamount87
November 19th, 2022, 04:01 PM
https://twitter.com/paladinfootball/status/1593771795206881282

Holding the Memorial Service at UVa today. Prayers for all involved. Nice touch by the good people at FU.

8 men in the Virginia Football Program with deep Furman ties. FUBeAR knows most and is definitely praying for them as they lead the program thru this. Everyone there is blessed to have these men in leadership at this most difficult time.

Tony Elliott
Dez Kitchings
Adam Mims
Jaylan Reid
Carroll McCray
Taylor Lamb
Adam Smotherman
Eddie Chavez

Top shelf move by Furman! Well done Dins!

OrangeAndBlack
November 19th, 2022, 04:08 PM
Samford played a near perfect game and won in 2 OT over Mercer. They earned the win, but I still say Mercer is a playoff caliber team. It’s a shame they couldn’t get to 8 wins this year. Mercer fumbled on the goal line for a missed TD, and two missed field goals, along with 2 turnovers. All of that to lose in 2 OT.

Both teams suffered key injuries in OT. Mercer losing Ty James, while Samford lost their star Hiers. Really a devastating OT for both teams considering the injuries.

congrats to Samford on pulling off a near impossible win after Mercer had 1st and goal to win in regulation.

UNHWildcat18
November 19th, 2022, 04:11 PM
The Socon went from potentially 4 teams in to probably just 2. UTC really blew it, Mercer also. Making that FAMU selection that much “easier”

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2022, 04:12 PM
Samford played a near perfect game and won in 2 OT over Mercer. They earned the win, but I still say Mercer is a playoff caliber team. It’s a shame they couldn’t get to 8 wins this year. Mercer fumbled on the goal line for a missed TD, and two missed field goals, along with 2 turnovers. All of that to lose in 2 OT.

Both teams suffered key injuries in OT. Mercer losing Ty James, while Samford lost their star Hiers. Really a devastating OT for both teams considering the injuries.

congrats to Samford on pulling off a near impossible win after Mercer had 1st and goal to win in regulation.

What made that goal line stand even more incredible was that there was PI on 3rd and goal and gave Mercer 3 more tries.

The Cats
November 19th, 2022, 04:33 PM
https://twitter.com/CatamountsFB/status/1594081579399204864

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 04:57 PM
The Socon went from potentially 4 teams in to probably just 2. UTC really blew it, Mercer also. Making that FAMU selection that much “easier”
UTC “blew it,” losing to a SoCon also-ran.

Mercer lost a flat-out 2OT war vs. a Top 4 FCS Team in their stadium.

Those 2 things are quite different no matter how much you don’t want them to be.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 05:00 PM
UTC “blew it,” losing to a SoCon also-ran. Mercer lost a flat-out 2OT war vs. a Top 4 FCS Team in their stadium.

Those 2 things are quite different no matter how much you don’t want them to be.

The problem with this statement is there isn't a top 4 team in the SoCon.

The Cats
November 19th, 2022, 05:07 PM
UTC “blew it,” losing to a SoCon also-ran.

I hate to bust your bubble FUbear, but Chattanooga didn't "blew it" - they damn well got beat on the gridiron. Maybe you should watch the game for yourself, and see the score at the end of the game...

..and I guess you forgot about the Mocs beating those Bears???? ...actually, it was more like a blowout of the bears...

Oh yeah, I guess you forgot, it was Chattanooga's job to win the game if they wanted in the playoffs, it wasn't WCU job to just lay down for then to put then in the playoffs. I hope the Mocs and Bears both make it, on the strength of their season, which includes a loss by UTC,. to the Cats!!!!

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 05:17 PM
The problem with this statement is there isn't a top 4 team in the SoCon.
Show us 4 better ‘resumes’ than Samford’s.

Don’t put SDSU in there - Samford’s loss to #1 FBS, their only loss, is better than SDSU’s loss to random unranked FBS Team.

Don’t bring up Montana State - blown the F out by barely ranked FBS

SacState, if they don’t lose to UC-Davis today, is the only Team with a comparable resume to Samford.

BTW - Don’t you have another division to go be even more irrelevant in?

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 05:23 PM
I hate to bust your bubble FUbear, but Chattanooga didn't "blew it" - they damn well got beat on the gridiron. Maybe you should watch the game for yourself, and see the score at the end of the game...

..and I guess you forgot about the Mocs beating those Bears???? ...actually, it was more like a blowout of the bears...

Oh yeah, I guess you forgot, it was Chattanooga's job to win the game if they wanted in the playoffs, it wasn't WCU job to just lay down for then to put then in the playoffs. I hope the Mocs and Bears both make it, on the strength of their season, which includes a loss by UTC,. to the Cats!!!!
Watched the game … meh

Your vernacular beef is with UNHWildcat18 … just quoted that post. Chatt was favored big. Mercer was underdog.

Underdog’s don’t get accused of blowing games when they take a Top 4 Seed to 2 OT’s.

When Teams favored to win the Conference are favored in their final game to win & make the Playoffs and come up short vs. a Team that came into the game .500, that is often characterized as ‘blowing it.’

Go fight someone else. You’ll feel better.

SU DOG
November 19th, 2022, 05:27 PM
Hats off to the Mercer Bears, that is a GOOD team. They will be a nightmare for some team in the Playoffs. I certainly hope they are chosen. What a travesty if they aren't. In my many decades of watching games in Seibert Stadium I can't remember a better slobber-knocker than what I saw today. Samford was very fortunate yes, but also very deserving.

Hope injuries are not too severe, because we sure got scads of them, and I know that Mercer did also.

ElCid
November 19th, 2022, 06:05 PM
Kdinva, if you hear how Max Brimigion is doing let me know. Can't find any update. Didn't look like a very hard hit, but difficult to tell on TV.

The Cats
November 19th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Go fight someone else. You’ll feel better.

Nope. Fighting you is much more satisfying!!!!

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Nope. Fighting you is much more satisfying!!!!
Well, losing does seem to be part of the Catamount tradition

kdinva
November 19th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Kdinva, if you hear how Max Brimigion is doing let me know. Can't find any update. Didn't look like a very hard hit, but difficult to tell on TV.

First, congrats to the Bulldogs, they made on more play (that INT in the end zone with one minute to play.....Seth had no business trying to force that pass on first down), and that "new" offense (pistol formation with the option plays). you could hear the hit on Brimigeon all over the stadium. Looked like as he dove to catch the pass, his head hit a citadel players shoulder pad. And Wach trying for two 2-pt conversions that failed. Hindsight being 20/20, if nothing else changed, VMI would have needed only a FG late to win.

The Cats
November 19th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Well, losing does seem to be part of the Catamount tradition

Not this season, and not against you!

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Not this season, and not against you!
You need to lay off the hallucinogenics

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Mercer Player
Rec.
Yds.
TD
Long

Ty James (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9510)

OMG!

https://media.tenor.com/ivv5dTKvV4AAAAAC/hee-haw.gif

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 06:37 PM
Show us 4 better ‘resumes’ than Samford’s.

Don’t put SDSU in there - Samford’s loss to #1 FBS, their only loss, is better than SDSU’s loss to random unranked FBS Team.

Don’t bring up Montana State - blown the F out by barely ranked FBS

SacState, if they don’t lose to UC-Davis today, is the only Team with a comparable resume to Samford.

BTW - Don’t you have another division to go be even more irrelevant in?
Wanna make a bet?

I'd bet you an avatar for a year that there isn't a SoCon team in the semifinals.

MUMD
November 19th, 2022, 06:45 PM
Mercer is who "blew it." Fumble into the end zone. Missed FG. Can't score in 6 plays from the 2. That game never should have gone to OT. Yeah Mercer hung tough but they could't close the deal. Sure wish they could figure that out. Last year at ETSU, this year at Samford. All in all prolly the best Mercer team ever but they will be watching the playoffs on TV because they aren't yet a top tier SoCon team. Or probably won't watch along with everyone else.

The Cats
November 19th, 2022, 06:51 PM
Mercer is who "blew it." Fumble into the end zone. Missed FG. Can't score in 6 plays from the 2. That game never should have gone to OT. Yeah Mercer hung tough but they could't close the deal. Sure wish they could figure that out. Last year at ETSU, this year at Samford. All in all prolly the best Mercer team ever but they will be watching the playoffs on TV. Or probably not.

Gee, you haven't been contaminated by FUbear... Seems Chattanooga had some of the same problems, couldn't close the deal when it counted (i.e. the last game of the season), for the second or maybe third year in a row.

MUMD
November 19th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Gee, you haven't been contaminated by FUbear... Seems Chattanooga had some of the same problems, couldn't close the deal when it counted (i.e. the last game of the season), for the second or maybe third year in a row.

Exactly. And they shouldn't be a playoff team either. Chatty's loss today was bad for the SoCon and bad for Mercer's SOS. Congrats to the Cats. I grew up in Valdosta where Bell won a Natty, and Mercer beat his Jax team in the best game I ever saw in Maconga when both teams were in the Pioneer.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 07:10 PM
Wanna make a bet?

I'd bet you an avatar for a year that there isn't a SoCon team in the semifinals.
So, no, you can’t come up with 4 better resumes?

Thought not.

Perfectly OK if you exit with a whimper. No bang necessary.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 08:23 PM
So, no, you can’t come up with 4 better resumes?

Thought not.

Perfectly OK if you exit with a whimper. No bang necessary.
I don't have to prove anything. That's what the playoffs are for.

I see you didn't take my bet.

Not willing to back up your BS?

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 08:29 PM
I don't have to prove anything. That's what the playoffs are for.

I see you didn't take my bet.

Not willing to back up your BS?you made a claim

back up your claim

show us the 4 better resumes than Samford or, very simply, STFU

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 08:32 PM
you made a claim

back up your claim

show us the 4 better resumes than Samford or, very simply, STFU
Resumes don't win playoff games.

But hey, when you can't win playoff games I guess you hold on to what you can.

kdinva
November 19th, 2022, 08:45 PM
Exactly. And they shouldn't be a playoff team either. Chatty's loss today was bad for the SoCon and bad for Mercer's SOS. Congrats to the Cats. I grew up in Valdosta where Bell won a Natty, and Mercer beat his Jax team in the best game I ever saw in Maconga when both teams were in the Pioneer.

both mercer and UTC losing ain't good for SoCon, they may get 3 slots at the most....

Mocs123
November 19th, 2022, 09:39 PM
Congrats to Western Carolina.

ElCid
November 20th, 2022, 03:01 PM
Oh my. Just heard VMI might be losing its coach. We will be looking for a new one as well. Interesting. Not sure anything from official sources yet though.

Mocs123
November 20th, 2022, 03:52 PM
As profoundly disappointed as I am with the way our season ended no making the playoffs again and sorry that we couldn't get another team in the playoffs for the SoCon, I want to wish both Furman and Samford good luck in the playoffs - go make the rest of us in the SoCon proud.

The Cats
November 20th, 2022, 04:42 PM
As profoundly disappointed as I am with the way our season ended no making the playoffs again and sorry that we couldn't get another team in the playoffs for the SoCon, I want to wish both Furman and Samford good luck in the playoffs - go make the rest of us in the SoCon proud.

I'll second that, good luck to both Furman & Samford.

gofurman
November 20th, 2022, 11:18 PM
I'll second that, good luck to both Furman & Samford.

Good people - class post; go SoCon !

I do think Furman got a little shafted - and Elon got shafted TOO - BOTH of em. With GWebb and Davidson within 2+ hours many think Furman and Elon are the two better teams and Furman shoulda been paired with Davidson /GWebb and Elon take the other.. either way.

IE, Furman and Elon are numbers 11/13 (STATS) or so and with 8 seeded teams... so 9-24 are playing you would think they would avoid 11 playing number 13 in round 1 ... but hey that's FCS !! Whomever loses FU/Elon got shafted. Yes, even if that is Elon. I am being objective, not Pro-Furman

ElCid
November 20th, 2022, 11:19 PM
Good people - class post; go SoCon !

Furman sucks...but I hope you win.:D

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2022, 08:45 AM
Brett Thompson will not have his contract renewed and Scott Wachenheim will not return to VMI next season

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 09:17 AM
Brett Thompson will not have his contract renewed and Scott Wachenheim will not return to VMI next season
Ahhh…BUT…will Coach Wachenheim turn to CIT next season?

Catamount87
November 21st, 2022, 12:18 PM

UTC's loss was more damaging to the SoCon for sure. Mercer didn't help themselves, and to a much lesser degree didn't help the SoCon, by going 0-3 against the other 3 top SoCon teams with two of those not being all that close.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2022, 12:39 PM
Weirdly enough, at Mercer won, Chattanooga could have shaken that loss off. It wouldn't have been a bad loss, and they would have had a quality win over Mercer. Either way, the socon played themselves out.

Catamount87
November 21st, 2022, 03:20 PM
Weirdly enough, at Mercer won, Chattanooga could have shaken that loss off. It wouldn't have been a bad loss, and they would have had a quality win over Mercer. Either way, the socon played themselves out.

Not the first time either. Toss in how the SoCon has a tendency to schedule local D2 programs then create playoff selection issues for themselves. Yes, I am looking right at WCU on that one for sure (example 2014 with Bevard AND Catawba) and Mercer last year.