Week 10 Schedule
James Madison at Delaware
Villanova at Richmond
Big action is in the South next week. xeyebrowx

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Big action is in the South next week. xeyebrowx

Yea.

Hoftra's loss today pretty much guarantees there wont be 6 teams from the CAA in the playoffs.

The could win out and get in, but UNH prolly needs to beat Umass to get in and thus UMass would prolly not get in if UNH and Hofstra both beat them.

If I were to rank the teams it would be as follows.

1. Massachusetts
2. New Hampshire
3. Delaware
4. Richmond
5. James Madison
6. Hofstra
7. Villanova
8. William & Mary
9. Towson
10. Maine
11. Northeastern
12. Rhode Island

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I'll say it now, officially...the CAA is a 5-team league, particularly in light of some of the other games today (Northern Colorado over Montana State, GA. Southern over The Citadel...assuming UNI hangs on over YSU). I don't understand how any of UMass, UNH, Richmond, JMU or Delaware could be left out of the playoffs, at this juncture. If these five aren't five of the best in the country, I don't know what to think.

The UNH/UMass game looks huge, but goodness, I can't imagine it eliminating either team from contention. Richmond got the win they needed, and so did Delaware. I know it defies logic, but how can you not take all five of these teams? Villanova is making things interesting, too. I'm ready to pronounce Hofstra dead.

UNHWildCats
October 28th, 2007, 12:44 AM
My predictions for next week

Northeastern at New Hampshire - UNH is gonna whoop Northeastern, why? Because of last years game. :p

Massachusetts at Rhode Island - This game will be close, UMass fans have been going on and on for a few weeks now about all the penalties UMass commits, URI could steal one here.

James Madison at Delaware - Delaware is gonna continue where they left off today.

Towson at Maine - Maine is bad...very bad, but not as bad as Northeastern.

William & Mary at Hofstra - Hofstra is a fraud

Villanova at Richmond - Coming off the big win against James Madison, Richmond suffers a letdown.

Cobblestone
October 28th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Rhode Island 36 at New Hampshire 49

Much better than I expected.

Here are some photos... http://gorhody.cstv.com/view.gal?id=17468&template=player_gallery

Fire Stowers.

bluehenbillk
October 28th, 2007, 07:23 AM
JMU could be in some trouble, with a loss to UD, they're squarely the 3rd team in the South.

ChickenMan
October 28th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Villanova at Richmond - Coming off the big win against James Madison, Richmond suffers a letdown.

I saw the Hofstra/Nova game.. HU is not a playoff caliber team.. Nova has no offense.. they won with special teams and turnovers.. as they had about 200 yrds of total offense and less than 60 yrds passing.

I expect Richmond to win 'easily' next week and that's NOT my Nova bias talking.. it's just reality.

Old Cage
October 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM
"Massachusetts at Rhode Island - This game will be close, UMass fans have been going on and on for a few weeks now about all the penalties UMass commits, URI could steal one here."

I love how so many folks here predict our demise every week. We have won seventeen in a row in our division in the regular season. Keep it coming, guys.

blukeys
October 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I saw the Hofstra/Nova game.. HU is not a playoff caliber team.. Nova has no offense.. they won with special teams and turnovers.. as they had about 200 yrds of total offense and less than 60 yrds passing.

I expect Richmond to win 'easily' next week and that's NOT my Nova bias talking.. it's just reality.

YOU HAVA A NOVA BIAS????!!!!???????!!!!!!! xconfusedx xconfusedx

It just so tough to believe!xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

I hope it's contagious.

Uncle Buck
October 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM
No way nova beats Richmond. HU held them to 201 yards of offense, scored 31 looking like garbage, but loses because nova returned an INT, kickoff, and fumble for td's.

Are we a fraud, not in all facets of the game, but i will say that we are not a playoff caliber team. This week however, we handed nova the win, they will not beat Richmond.

WrenFGun
October 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
If it weren't for how much I want to absolutely pulverize Northeastern for what happened last season, I would clearly be looking ahead to the UMass/UNH matchup. Boy, what a game.

ngineer
October 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM
JMU could be in some trouble, with a loss to UD, they're squarely the 3rd team in the South.

I agree. A close loss like that at home can work headgames on the players. With Delaware up next, it will be very tough bouncing back from this one. If they beat the Hens in the Hen House, it will be a very impressive comeback.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I agree. A close loss like that at home can work headgames on the players. With Delaware up next, it will be very tough bouncing back from this one. If they beat the Hens in the Hen House, it will be a very impressive comeback.

JMU would be the 3rd team in the CAA South, but even if they finish with just 2 conference losses, they should be an at large bid.

Delaware is the front runner at this point as they get JMU and UR at home the next two weeks. Say UD wins both of these games and finish with 1 conference loss and JMU/UR have two, then the UNH @ UMASS game would be huge in the playoff scenario.

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2007, 10:40 AM
JMU would be the 3rd team in the CAA South, but even if they finish with just 2 conference losses, they should be an at large bid.

Delaware is the front runner at this point as they get JMU and UR at home the next two weeks. Say UD wins both of these games and finish with 1 conference loss and JMU/UR have two, then the UNH @ UMASS game would be huge in the playoff scenario.

If JMU, UR and UNH all finish 8-3, JMU or UNH could be left out. I doubt the committee will want 5 CAA teams in the field (although it would be justifiable), and UR would have wins over the other two. If UNH beats UMass, I think JMU will be out at 8-3, which would be a damn shame.

If JMU beats UD, and UNH beats UMass, the case for 5 CAA teams will be very strong.

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I agree with Chickenman, saw JMU kill Nova at home and then get upended by UR. UR is definitely a couple of notches better than Nova. Unless UR just totally doesn't show up, which I don't see happening due to the fact they're going to want revenge for last season's embarrassment @ Nova that officially eliminated them from playoff contention with a 4th loss, I think UR wins comfortably.

BDKJMU
October 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Nice win for UD. 59-52! Holy cow- what were they using on defense for both teams- cardboard cutouts? Congrats to UR on the win, esp the gameplan that they had for dealing with JMU's offense.

JMU-UR was a shocker. Not the one point loss, but the way in which it occurred. The sun broke out that morning, 65 and sunny with only a slight breeze. Perfect weather for football. JMU in the 1st half had three 3 and outs along with 2 fumbles lost. After recovering one fumble at the JMU 36 UR drove it down to the JMU one. The JMU defense stuffed UR on 3 straight running plays from 2nd & goal at the 1. But JMU ended up fumbling it right back again, UR recovered at the 10, and the exhausted JMU de couldn't keep UR out of the endzone. On JMU's 1st 5 possessions of the 1st half they totaled 37 I think it was yards before adding 71 yards, mostly by way of a 61 yard TD strike from landers to Bosco Williams with 16 seconds left in the half to make it 17-7.

The second half was more of the same. JMU got the ball at the UR 23 after Hightower fumbled on UR's 1st play from scrimmage of the 2nd half, but could only manage a field goal. JMU then stopped a short UR drive by intercepting Ward at the JMU 36, and did put together their best sustained drive of the game, which was only 32 yards, before being held to another field goal. Then it was 4 straight JMU possessions that ended in punts, 2 coming after 3 and outs and 2 after one 1st down, then Landers threw an interception at the UR 44 with 58 seconds left as JMU was trying to move into winning field goal range.

Coming into the game it was JMU's defense that hadn't done well at all the previous 2 games against NU and URI, and against URI JMU's offense rolled. So I was worried about JMU's defense, not offense. JMU's defense repeatededly had their backs to the wall due to JMU's ineptitude on offense, yet played an outstanding game, shutting out UR in the 2nd half and forcing 2 turnovers. Hightower was held to 102 yards on 28 carries, and UR was held to 245 total yards despite running 72 plays from scrimmage and controlling the ball for over 36 minutes. If I had been told before the game that UR would be held to 245 yards and 17 points, with Hightower held to 102/about 3.6 a carry, never in a million years would I have thought JMU would lose this game.

JMU's offense could only muster 256 yards on 54 plays. UR appeared to have JMU well scouted, taking away the flares, screens, and bubble screens. In past games JMU has thrown the majority of its passes at the line scrimmage and has relied on its athletic receivers and backs to get yards after the catch. Rodney appeared to throw more intermediate passes than I'd seen, and a number of them, I'd say at least 5, were high. Of the 5 games I've seen him play, his worse one passing wise. To his credit, he did face some major heat at times, yet wasn't ever sacked in part to his sometime Houdini like escapes. In addition, a few passes that were on were dropped. He was JMU's leading rusher again with 79.

The JMU message board is lit up with angry fans about the play calling. Of JMU's 1st 9 plays (all 3 and outs) 5 were up the middle or off tackle to Antoinne Bolton, who is generously listed at 5'7" and 160 lbs. JMU has 3 other schlorship backs listed from 195-205, yet utilized them little. (One of them Sullivan had JMU's 1st fumble. I don't recall him getting another carry). Why on a 3rd and 2 would JMU run Bolton up the middle, who of course got stuffed, when he gets no yards after contact due to his small stature?

I see UD as far as JMU is concerned in Cuff like facing another Hightower & high powered running game, but with a much better passing QB and receivers. On defense UR is probably a little better than UD. If the same JMU defense shows up next week UD will be held "somewhat" in check. However, if the same JMU offense shows up along with the same horrible playcalling, JMU has no chance. And just think, the week before I would have been saying just the opposite, worried about the defense and not the offense. This JMU team I can't even figure out, so I won't even bother with a prediction this week other than to say UD by a field goal to a TD.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_sunday_details.php?AID=13010&CHID=52&sub=James%20Madison%20University
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_sunday_details.php?AID=13012&CHID=52&sub=James%20Madison%20University
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_sunday_details.php?AID=13011&CHID=52&sub=James%20Madison%20University
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/richmond.htm?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400
http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/sports/colleges.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-10-28-0229.html

spdram
October 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Tremendous win UD, looking forward to the trip to UD, but know it could be for the Division title so wish it was at Richmond. Are you calling for turf pbs again? ;)

BDK, classy post, thanks! JMU has a good team, but has a few flaws (what FCS teams does not?). Our D was able to expose some yesterday. This young UR D continues to amaze me and they get better each week. I think our wounded count is 8 right now (it has been 10), I only hope we can continue to win and be healthy by the playoffs. BTW I'm only counting the injured players that cannot play. Landers is a special player, not looking forward to facing him for the next two years, and I'm glad we've faced LaZotte for the last time. Your D played great yesterday, it made our O look average at best. Ward was rushed the entire game and never got into the flow. Hightower had only an average game for him. Your D caused that. Best of Luck the rest of the way, the only time I want to face JMU again this year would be in Chatty.

Spider
October 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM

ain't gonna happen, SPIDAHS OVER NOVA, payback for last year....xthumbsupx

GrizRchattybound
October 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Girls...girls. No way that 5 CAA teams are getting in, no matter how you look at it. A shame?...could be, but there are other teams out there that would justifiably scream bloody murder. You guys went a long ways yesterday thanks to the wacky cats losing to the UNC boys in John Denver Memorial Stadium yesterday, I'd say 4 teams are a lock...5?

No way. Just my 2 cents- not saying I agree or disagree, just my 2 cents.

blur2005
October 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM
The JMU game irritated the hell out of me. JMU definitely could've and maybe should've won that game. Oh well. Richmond made the big play at the end to hold on. That loss was completely the offense's fault.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
All I have to say is that Delaware still needs to win 2 out of 3 against top CAA competition to be assured a playoff spot. Certainly no easy task. UMass is the closest in the CAA to wrapping up a playoff spot, and even they still have UNH and Hofstra on the horizon. Still lots of football to be played...

BlueHen86
October 28th, 2007, 06:57 PM
All I have to say is that Delaware still needs to win 2 out of 3 against top CAA competition to be assured a playoff spot. Certainly no easy task. UMass is the closest in the CAA to wrapping up a playoff spot, and even they still have UNH and Hofstra on the horizon. Still lots of football to be played...
Agreed.
CAA teams better finish 9 - 2 or better to be assured of the playoffs. I think only 4 can do that.
UD has one loss, but plays both JMU and Richmond
JMU and Richmond have two losses.
One of those three must lose 3 games (or more).
UMass has one loss, but plays UNH and Hofstra
UNH and Hofstra have two losses.
One of those three must lose 3 games (or more).

I think that CAA is looking at at most, 4 playoff teams.

saint0917
October 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Massachusetts [/B]at Rhode Island - This game will be close, UMass fans have been going on and on for a few weeks now about all the penalties UMass commits, URI could steal one here.

Umass could have 100 penalties and this game still wont be close. xcoffeex

GannonFan
October 28th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Not this year - UMass makes every game closer than it should be this year - certainly won't be a nailbiter, but it won't be a blowout either. It's the year of sleepwalking for UMass and it'll probably continue.

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
"Massachusetts at Rhode Island - This game will be close, UMass fans have been going on and on for a few weeks now about all the penalties UMass commits, URI could steal one here."

I love how so many folks here predict our demise every week. We have won seventeen in a row in our division in the regular season. Keep it coming, guys.

xcoolx

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2007, 01:59 PM
uh huh, yup......