PDA

View Full Version : UND Gets NCAA Extension on Sioux

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
This seems to have worked in UND's favor. They have three years to get the Sioux to agree to the name or they have to get rid of it...

North Dakota has three years to get approval of Fighting Sioux nickname
Associated Press

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- The state Board of Higher Education settled a lawsuit with the NCAA over the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux nickname, giving the school three years to get tribal approval or retire it.

The board voted unanimously Friday morning to approve the settlement after a closed-door briefing from Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem.

The NCAA in 2005 banned the use of the nickname in postseason play, labeling it hostile and abusive. UND sued to challenge the ban in last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3080540

bkrownd
October 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
How long until NCAA going to start banning the use of "Dakota" in the team name, as well? ;)

darell1976
October 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
UND did not win, they have to change the mind of tribes that strongly oppose the name so unless they bribe them like FSU and Central Michigan I see the name gone. Nov 30, 2010 will be the retirement date. Plus in the agreement if they do win support the tribes can withdraw support at any time and then the Sioux name must be gone in 1 year. So if they win the support in 2008 and say 2011 they change their minds a new name must be placed in 2012. So whats in UND's favor?? Oh yeah the NCAA must say the name and logo is not hostile and abusive...whoopty doo.

Hansel
October 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
The settlement could be approved as soon as this morning in a special meeting of the North Dakota Board of Higher Education. The proposal was outlined recently by Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem for the chairpeople of North Dakota's two Sioux tribes at a meeting in Bismarck, according to Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Ron His Horse is Thunder.

Stenehjem confirmed Thursday evening that he met two weeks ago with His Horse is Thunder and Spirit Lake Tribal Chairwoman Myra Pearson, but would not discuss details of the meeting. He did say that he'd had similar discussions with several people across the state in recent weeks.

Members of the Herald Editorial Board confirmed that they also met with Stenehjem about three weeks ago but would not reveal details about the discussion because it was "off the record."

Stenehjem will meet with the Board of Higher Education in a closed session this morning at the Alerus Center in Grand Forks, after which the board may act to approve a settlement agreement, according to an agenda from the university system office.

State board members would not answer questions Thursday about the details of a possible settlement. Student member Nate Martindale speculated that any settlement would have to include the NCAA admitting that its claim that UND is hostile and abusive to American Indians is incorrect, but would not comment further.

Shifting the burden

His Horse is Thunder said he told Stenehjem during their meeting that he does not support the three-year cooling off period and does not expect his tribal council to alter its resolution opposing the nickname during that time.

"I told him I didn't want the tribes to have to agree to the cooling-off period," His Horse is Thunder said. "I told him we're not going to change our position or withdraw our resolution saying we oppose the use of the nickname. . . . His hope is during the next three years we'll reconsider."

His Horse is Thunder said he thinks the proposed settlement unfairly shifts the burden of retiring the nickname from UND and the state to the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes.

"It takes the onus off him and puts it right back in my lap," he said. "They'll continue to try to get tribal members to go to UND and watch hockey games and treat them to great sky boxes. . . . They'll treat them really nice and get a few to come back and put political pressure on the tribal council."

His Horse is Thunder said Pearson echoed his own position during their meeting with Stenehjem.

"Her reaction was along the same lines as mine," he said. "It's trying to buy Indians by treating them nicely and giving them alcohol at hockey games that she objected to."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=55050&section=news

bkrownd
October 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM
New nickname: North Dakota Steam'n Sugarbeets!

NDSUFREAK
October 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Firetrucks xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM
How about the North Dakota "Fightin' Irish"

darell1976
October 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM
How about the North Dakota "Fightin' Irish"

Why not we have the same UND symbol.xlolx

How about Spuds that would go with our Potato Bowl.:)

Gil Dobie
October 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Hopefully UND can help the tribes raise the quality of life on the reservation, while still keeping their nickname. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
October 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM
UND did not win anything. They are continuing this whole saga further when in all actuality it should have been over long ago. Why in the hell is UND the ONLY school with a Native American mascot that is being persecuted? What about Florida State or Illinois? UND doesn't even do the "tomahawk chop" like I've seen FSU and Illinois do, and they're the ones who are getting slammed by these tribal activists? What a bunch of crap. I've been to a UND game recently, and I can say with great confidence that the Sioux mascot is not a mascot in the traditional sense. It is something that is respected as being much more than just a symbol for the school. Not once at a UND game will you hear slurs, chants, or any other kind of inflamatory act that defaces the Sioux tribe, or Native Americans in general. If these idiots want to attack UND for having a warrior as their symbol, then why not go after the teams that actually DO have offensive representations of Native Americans? Washington Redskins ring a bell? The term "redskin" is highly offensive, and yet nobody wants to do a damn thing about that. Get rid of the FSU Seminoles and Fighting Illini while you're at it. After all, this country was founded upon the principles of equality and justice. If UND is the only part involved here, neither of those principles are being served.

Sounds like another excuse for a few people to screw a larger group of people out of a whole bunch of money. This country can be pretty screwed up. I wouldn't live anywhere else, but this country can be pretty screwed up.

mainejeff
October 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I think a good compromise would be to allow North Dakota to keep Sioux and the logo (which I think is very classy and respectful) while dropping the word "Fighting".

North Dakota Sioux.

If they don't agree to something then screw 'em......let their tribe slip into oblivion.....North Dakota sports teams are about the last reminder of that tribe.

I like Coyotes or Prairie Dogs if they need to get a new mascot.

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM
North Dakota Sued.

Fixed it for ya'. xsmiley_wix

swaghook
October 26th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I like Coyotes or Prairie Dogs if they need to get a new mascot.The U of South Dakota has the "coyotes" nickname locked up. But UND can always revert back to being the Flickertails. And while they are at it they should use their real school colors as well Green and PINK

tribe_pride
October 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
UND did not win anything. They are continuing this whole saga further when in all actuality it should have been over long ago. Why in the hell is UND the ONLY school with a Native American mascot that is being persecuted? What about Florida State or Illinois? UND doesn't even do the "tomahawk chop" like I've seen FSU and Illinois do, and they're the ones who are getting slammed by these tribal activists? What a bunch of crap. I've been to a UND game recently, and I can say with great confidence that the Sioux mascot is not a mascot in the traditional sense. It is something that is respected as being much more than just a symbol for the school. Not once at a UND game will you hear slurs, chants, or any other kind of inflamatory act that defaces the Sioux tribe, or Native Americans in general. If these idiots want to attack UND for having a warrior as their symbol, then why not go after the teams that actually DO have offensive representations of Native Americans? Washington Redskins ring a bell? The term "redskin" is highly offensive, and yet nobody wants to do a damn thing about that. Get rid of the FSU Seminoles and Fighting Illini while you're at it. After all, this country was founded upon the principles of equality and justice. If UND is the only part involved here, neither of those principles are being served.

Sounds like another excuse for a few people to screw a larger group of people out of a whole bunch of money. This country can be pretty screwed up. I wouldn't live anywhere else, but this country can be pretty screwed up.

Not that I support getting rid of any of these nicknames (W&M Tribe - we need to get rid of our feathers in the logo - how stupid), but FSU was able to keep their name because the Seminole tribe said they could keep it just like the Utes allowed Utah to keep their nickname and the Chippewa allowed Central Michigan. That is what the Sioux needs to do now to keep theirs. As people above said, the settlement is really delaying the inevitable. In no way is it a win for UND.

As for Illinois, they were able to keep Illini and Fighting Illini because it could be said that it is derived from the name of the state not Indians (like W&M could keep Tribe because it didn't definitely mean Indian Tribes) but they had to and already have given up their mascot Chief Illiniwek.

All that said, the NCAA has better things to deal with and should give up with this PC crap.

TheValleyRaider
October 26th, 2007, 11:20 PM
From the article Hansel posted:

His Horse is Thunder said he thinks the proposed settlement unfairly shifts the burden of retiring the nickname from UND and the state to the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes.

Actually, it shifts the burden away from the NCAA from actually having to enforce legislation they came up with. This is par for the course with them, really. Either they say it's okay for UND to use the name, or it's not. Quite frankly, I don't think it's any of the NCAA's business what North Dakota or any other school calls its team, but if you're going to pass the resolution like that, either force the school to get rid of the name or drop it. This is a cheap "surrender" on their part. xtwocentsx

spelunker64
October 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Dakota and Lakota tribal leaders spurned a settlement announced Friday that would allow the University of North Dakota time to seek approval to keep using the controversial “Fighting Sioux” nickname and logo.

“I think they’re going to try to buy use of the name,” said Jesse Taken Alive, a Standing Rock tribal council member. “They’ve already tried to do that here at Standing Rock.”

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=181944&section=news