PDA

View Full Version : Yale-Harvard a sellout

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2022, 02:10 PM
My question for Ivytalk, what is a sellout at Harvard stadium?

Per the article in the YDN

The official capacity of Harvard Stadium is 25,884

The capacity was always over 30k. Did they shut down parts of the stadium? Can you still sit in the colonnade area?

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2022/11/02/yale-harvard-tickets-sell-out-after-accidental-early-release/

(https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2022/11/02/yale-harvard-tickets-sell-out-after-accidental-early-release/)

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 3rd, 2022, 02:20 PM
An unheard of issue in FCS, not enough tickets for the students, nice problem to have for surexdrunkyx

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2022, 02:25 PM
An unheard of issue in FCS, not enough tickets for the students, nice problem to have for surexdrunkyx

Unfortunately it's the only game they show up for. I guess one game is better than none.

NY Crusader 2010
November 3rd, 2022, 05:44 PM
I thought the Harvard crowd was decent for the HC game considering the horrendous forecast for the day (it didn't actually rain though). Even as I got off the T in Cambridge coming from Logan, I was shocked how many people walking off my train were dressed in Crimson gear headed to the game. After all Holy Cross is supposed to be a mere warmup heading into Ivy play.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2022, 06:01 PM
After all Holy Cross is supposed to be a mere warmup heading into Ivy play.

Can't just be happy you have a good team?

crusader11
November 3rd, 2022, 06:28 PM
Can't just be happy you have a good team?

My associate isn’t wrong with his post.

Don’t think many casual Yale and Harvard football fans think much of Holy Cross.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2022, 06:35 PM

Don’t think many casual Yale and Harvard football fans think much of Holy Cross.

I think the casual Yale and Harvard fan pretty much became extinct as can be seen by attendance figures over the last couple of decades.

And they certainly wouldn't be Browsing AGS.

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2022, 06:38 PM
This is news to me, bulldog. I thought the capacity was 30,323. Back in the Stone Age when you and I were students, Harvard Stadium could seat 41,000 for the Yale game with the portable bleachers in place. At one point, it held over 57,000. According to gocrimson.com, 25,884 is correct for the”reconfigured” total. Just one more sign of the end of western civilization.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2022, 07:01 PM
This is news to me, bulldog. I thought the capacity was 30,323. Back in the Stone Age when you and I were students, Harvard Stadium could seat 41,000 for the Yale game with the portable bleachers in place. At one point, it held over 57,000. According to gocrimson.com, 25,884 is correct for the”reconfigured” total. Just one more sign of the end of western civilization.

I'll be curious to see how many tickets they actually sell. In 1984 my wife and I sat on wooden bleachers they put at field level in the closed end of the horseshoe. Maybe they will do that again.

UAalum72
November 3rd, 2022, 07:09 PM
The latest renovations include "a new accessible press box, club seating facility for 350 spectators comprising restrooms and concession areas, function/gathering space, and a small terrace". Maybe they replaced some of the original seating. I'd read that would result in reduced capacity, but 4.400 is quite a drop.

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2022, 08:52 PM
At its peak, Harvard Stadium sat 57,000.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~PsAAOSwMIxf93z8/s-l500.jpg

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2022, 09:09 PM

I Don’t think any casual Yale and Harvard football fan ever thinks about Holy Cross.

But why do you care?

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2022, 10:14 PM
I Don’t think any casual Yale and Harvard football fan ever thinks about Holy Cross.

I don’t think many casual Yale and Harvard football fans ever think about Cornell, either.

Sader87
November 3rd, 2022, 10:48 PM
I think there are are very, very few "casual" Yale or Harvard fans in 2022...you've either bought in at this point or not at all. This isn't 1968.

KPSUL
November 4th, 2022, 02:14 PM

This picture reminds me that I went to Patriot games at Harvard Stadium for a season or two around 1970. The patriots rented the stadium but not the services. One game it snowed a foot - the parking lot was packed down by cars and people, It was announced on local radio stations to bring a shovel to clear out our seats. The field had been plowed but only 7 yards into each end zone. Kids were standing on top of the snow banks in the end zone pelting the Viking's players with snowballs. when the got in the Red Zone. I can't recall whether or not the End Zones were both enclosed by stands.

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2022, 03:06 PM
This picture reminds me that I went to Patriot games at Harvard Stadium for a season or two around 1970. The patriots rented the stadium but not the services. One game it snowed a foot - the parking lot was packed down by cars and people, It was announced on local radio stations to bring a shovel to clear out our seats. The field had been plowed but only 7 yards into each end zone. Kids were standing on top of the snow banks in the end zone pelting the Viking's players with snowballs. when the got in the Red Zone. I can't recall whether or not the End Zones were both enclosed by stands.

Sounds like the Patriots had as bad an experience at the Stadium as the Giants did the two seasons they played in the Yale Bowl. One of my buddies, a huge Giants fan, bought season tickets those two years. The Giants only won one game in the Bowl those two years and it was the only game he missed.

KPSUL
November 4th, 2022, 03:35 PM
Sounds like the Patriots had as bad an experience at the Stadium as the Giants did the two seasons they played in the Yale Bowl. One of my buddies, a huge Giants fan, bought season tickets those two years. The Giants only won one game in the Bowl those two years and it was the only game he missed.
That's a good one! Sounds like Columbia a few decades ago. After I posted I googled the Patriots at Harvard - it was only one season (although they played there in 1960 also) and the Patriots only won 2 games in 1970.

JacksFan40
November 4th, 2022, 05:06 PM

Always loved that design, looks like a smaller Roman Colosseum.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2022, 05:48 PM
What's the over/under on minutes of delay due to protest? Id say opening line is around 90!!!

dbackjon
November 4th, 2022, 06:38 PM
I'll be curious to see how many tickets they actually sell. In 1984 my wife and I sat on wooden bleachers they put at field level in the closed end of the horseshoe. Maybe they will do that again.

Florence? What did you do?

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Florence? What did you do?

I moved to AZ in 1990. My last Y-H game in person was 1989. And it is very likely my last because even though I go back to CT periodically, going back in November is out.

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2022, 08:47 PM
I moved to AZ in 1990. My last Y-H game in person was 1989. And it is very likely my last because even though I go back to CT periodically, going back in November is out.

My last H-Y game in person at the Bowl was 1999, with my daughter. I took my son in ‘97. My last H-Y game at Harvard was in 1976. I doubt I’ll ever see another one live. When I went in ‘99, I sat near a group of old Harvard alums (and their wives) from the class of 1938. They were all in their mid-80s, and a jolly bunch, but I remember thinking how old they were. Now I’m pushing 70 myself, and life is on fast-forward.

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2022, 09:05 PM
My last H-Y game in person at the Bowl was 1999, with my daughter. I took my son in ‘97. My last H-Y game at Harvard was in 1976. I doubt I’ll ever see another one live. When I went in ‘99, I sat near a group of old Harvard alums (and their wives) from the class of 1938. They were all in their mid-80s, and a jolly bunch, but I remember thinking how old they were. Now I’m pushing 70 myself, and life is on fast-forward.

My last game at the Stadium was 1988. I went every even numbered year from 1978 through that game in '88. I really enjoyed games at the stadium. Great sightlines, but usually cold and windy. We would always eat at the Publik House in Sturbridge after. Even saw Cozza there one year.

VandalBasher
November 4th, 2022, 09:57 PM
I love having Ivy fans here. And, fans from the Patriot League. They bring the real smack. I could only hope that more fans will eventually bring the Ivy League into the FCS fold (playoffs). It would be epic. My guess is it would be a recruiting advantage for the Ancient Eight.