PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-31

JALMOND
October 31st, 2022, 08:36 PM
On the eve of November, the month when the conference race will be decided and the Big Sky still has four teams setting a strong pace, with two others just waiting for someone to fall off. Four teams took last week off, but only one was among the leaders. Some great matchups coming down the stretch that will decide who gets the automatic bid into the playoffs. This week is no exception. That said, here are the power rankings for the conference this week (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona---With the stretch run looming, the Bobcats took last week off in order to prepare. They have what looks like on paper a couple easy games to play before their big Brawl with their huge rivals. Still, they cannot look past any of the games and with this game on the road, it may be troublesome.

2. Sacramento State (2)---Last week beat Idaho at home 31-28, this week at Weber State---Playing the conference upstart, the Hornets knew it was going to be a tough game, even at home, and they did get the win. They go on the road the next two games before meeting their rival in the big Classic. They do need to get this road win this week, however.

3. Idaho (3)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 31-28, this week Eastern Washington at home---No harm for the Vandals in getting a tough loss on the road to a strong team last week. They have two winnable home games before meeting up with their in-state brethren. Getting all three should propel them into the playoffs, but they can't overlook anyone.

4. Weber State (4)---Last week beat Montana at home 24-21, this week Sacramento State at home---The Wildcats got a good home win last week and stay at home with another conference heavy hitter coming to town. After that, the schedule is relatively easy at the end, but they cannot overlook this game this weekend, nor the others left to play.

5. UC Davis (6)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 59-17, this week Idaho State at home---The Aggies are making a late charge towards respectability and a possible playoff berth if things break right for them. They win out and they may have a shot but with two tough road games still left, it may be tough, but they should get this game.

6. Montana (5)---Last week lost at Weber State 24-21, this week Cal Poly at home---The Grizzlies seem to have taken a stumble. Close losses may look good but they need some wins. They get some gimme games in these next two weeks and then the big Brawl on the road. Wins may be enough to get them in the playoffs, but they have to be wins.

7. Portland State (8)---Last week won at Eastern Washington 38-35, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Vikings headed on the Barney bus and stole the Dam Cup away from their rivals last week in a feel good day. Playing out the string, they still have one game that they can play spoiler, but first it would be nice to get this win.

8. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week lost to Portland State at home 38-35, this week at Idaho---Falling behind big early on is not a recipe for success in the conference, but the Eagles put a gallant effort to steal a win, only to come up short. They get a couple opportunities to play spoiler in the next two weeks, but they were hoping for bigger things.

9. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---The Lumberjacks were also hoping for better things this year but just could not put it all together. After taking last week off, they have two chances to ruin a couple of the heavy hitter's seasons. It starts this week and continues through next week.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week bye, this week at Portland State---The Bears also took last week off to get ready for a big push to end the season. Looking at the schedule, with their tough games already played, they have the opportunity to end the season on a good note. All three games are winnable. They just need to play like they are.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week bye, this week at UC Davis---The Bengals also took last week off, but their remaining schedule is daunting. They end the year with three games against three different heavyweights in the conference. Well, they can only play what is on the schedule. The first heavyweight is this weekend. The rest come later.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost at UC Davis 59-17, this week at Montana---Are the Mustangs up for the challenge of the ultimate spoiler? By the indication of their recent games, the answer is probably no. Although, after the game this week, they stay home for the last two games so they may be able to surprise some. Or maybe not.

RECAP: 1-5 contenders, 6 desperately trying to hold on, 7-12 pretenders.

SeattleCat
November 1st, 2022, 09:40 AM
On the eve of November, the month when the conference race will be decided and the Big Sky still has four teams setting a strong pace, with two others just waiting for someone to fall off. Four teams took last week off, but only one was among the leaders. Some great matchups coming down the stretch that will decide who gets the automatic bid into the playoffs. This week is no exception. That said, here are the power rankings for the conference this week (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona---With the stretch run looming, the Bobcats took last week off in order to prepare. They have what looks like on paper a couple easy games to play before their big Brawl with their huge rivals. Still, they cannot look past any of the games and with this game on the road, it may be troublesome.

2. Sacramento State (2)---Last week beat Idaho at home 31-28, this week at Weber State---Playing the conference upstart, the Hornets knew it was going to be a tough game, even at home, and they did get the win. They go on the road the next two games before meeting their rival in the big Classic. They do need to get this road win this week, however.

3. Idaho (3)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 31-28, this week Eastern Washington at home---No harm for the Vandals in getting a tough loss on the road to a strong team last week. They have two winnable home games before meeting up with their in-state brethren. Getting all three should propel them into the playoffs, but they can't overlook anyone.

4. Weber State (4)---Last week beat Montana at home 24-21, this week Sacramento State at home---The Wildcats got a good home win last week and stay at home with another conference heavy hitter coming to town. After that, the schedule is relatively easy at the end, but they cannot overlook this game this weekend, nor the others left to play.

5. UC Davis (6)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 59-17, this week Idaho State at home---The Aggies are making a late charge towards respectability and a possible playoff berth if things break right for them. They win out and they may have a shot but with two tough road games still left, it may be tough, but they should get this game.

6. Montana (5)---Last week lost at Weber State 24-21, this week Cal Poly at home---The Grizzlies seem to have taken a stumble. Close losses may look good but they need some wins. They get some gimme games in these next two weeks and then the big Brawl on the road. Wins may be enough to get them in the playoffs, but they have to be wins.

7. Portland State (8)---Last week won at Eastern Washington 38-35, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Vikings headed on the Barney bus and stole the Dam Cup away from their rivals last week in a feel good day. Playing out the string, they still have one game that they can play spoiler, but first it would be nice to get this win.

8. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week lost to Portland State at home 38-35, this week at Idaho---Falling behind big early on is not a recipe for success in the conference, but the Eagles put a gallant effort to steal a win, only to come up short. They get a couple opportunities to play spoiler in the next two weeks, but they were hoping for bigger things.

9. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---The Lumberjacks were also hoping for better things this year but just could not put it all together. After taking last week off, they have two chances to ruin a couple of the heavy hitter's seasons. It starts this week and continues through next week.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week bye, this week at Portland State---The Bears also took last week off to get ready for a big push to end the season. Looking at the schedule, with their tough games already played, they have the opportunity to end the season on a good note. All three games are winnable. They just need to play like they are.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week bye, this week at UC Davis---The Bengals also took last week off, but their remaining schedule is daunting. They end the year with three games against three different heavyweights in the conference. Well, they can only play what is on the schedule. The first heavyweight is this weekend. The rest come later.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost at UC Davis 59-17, this week at Montana---Are the Mustangs up for the challenge of the ultimate spoiler? By the indication of their recent games, the answer is probably no. Although, after the game this week, they stay home for the last two games so they may be able to surprise some. Or maybe not.

RECAP: 1-5 contenders, 6 desperately trying to hold on, 7-12 pretenders.

I'd say I got the same. One note on Montana State, I've followed them for a really long time, and his years squad is becoming exceptional, especially on the offense. We lost a lot of talent on the defense and Oline from last years team but they aren't missing a beat. They do a lot of the little things that get overlooked, like blocking and everyone has been doing it even the WRs. I have not seen a team at our level block as well as we are right now at this level aside from NDSU. I always thought NDSU did great recruiting their O line, not always the biggest guys, but mobile and strong.

Watch this big man move:

https://twitter.com/BSullytyme/status/1584051656291160064?s=20&t=UU7GbKU-AuHgkXpc8t5MGg (https://twitter.com/BSullytyme/status/1584051656291160064?s=20&t=UU7GbKU-AuHgkXpc8t5MGg)

Team blocking:

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats_FB/status/1583929214658818048?s=20&t=gKEhGKrMopqBilMpGFgvIA

Defense is a little less exceptional, but its not without really bright spots:
D-line has been killing it this year, Seabass is a wrecking ball and Ends Grebe and Eiden really fast and strong.
Linebackers and secondary are a growing unit, for the most part really young and still learning. It takes them time to settle and in and figure things out but they eventually do.

This team is priming for another deep playoff run, and a lot of credit should go to coach Vigen, he is a very good coach.

wapiti
November 1st, 2022, 10:20 AM
Once again the home teams prevailed in the two big matchups and PSU took down a suddenly struggling EWU team.
8 Div 1 wins will secure a playoff spot in the Big Sky, 7 will get you good consideration, 6 will need help.

1. Sac State (1) - Barely beat Idaho in Sac. But they did what was needed to remain number 1. In and now gunning for a seed.

2. Montana State (2) - Had a bye. Getting ready for NAU. Most likely in the playoffs, needs 1 more W to secure, 3 games remaining

3. Weber (3) - Took down the mighty griz in Odgen. Needs 2 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 3 games remaining.

4. Idaho (4) - Oh so close, but still a loss to the number 1 team at their place. Must win out to secure, 3 games remaining.

5. Montana (5) - Another tough loss for the griz, and all 3 losses have been oh so close. Needs 3 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 3 games remaining

6. UC Davis (6) - Did what they needed to against lowely CP. Needs to win 3 games to earn playoff consideration. 3 games remaining.

7. PSU (9) - Beat a @EWU team that is going downhill. Out of the playoff picture.

8. EWU (7) - Lost in Cheney to an improving Viking team. Meanwhile EWU seems to have unimproved. Out of the play picture.

9. NAU (8) - Had a bye Needs to win remaining 3 games and have help.

10. NC (10) - Had a bye. Out of the playoff picture.

11. ISU (11) - Had a bye. Out of the playoff picture.

12. CP (12) - Crushed @Davis. Out of the playoff picture.

Recap: 1-4 contenders; 5 a half step behind the contenders; 6-7 Middle of the pack; 8-9 A step above the bottom dwellers; 10-12 Bottom of the barrel

VandalBasher
November 1st, 2022, 11:14 AM
To put IDAHO at 3rd or 4th, for now, in the BSC is fair. I think it is acceptable for even 5th, for now, as the Vandals get through the next three games. To end the season at 8-3 would be epic considering what we have gone through in the last five seasons.

MSUBobcat
November 1st, 2022, 02:05 PM
I'd say I got the same. One note on Montana State, I've followed them for a really long time, and his years squad is becoming exceptional, especially on the offense. We lost a lot of talent on the defense and Oline from last years team but they aren't missing a beat. They do a lot of the little things that get overlooked, like blocking and everyone has been doing it even the WRs. I have not seen a team at our level block as well as we are right now at this level aside from NDSU. I always thought NDSU did great recruiting their O line, not always the biggest guys, but mobile and strong.

Watch this big man move:

https://twitter.com/BSullytyme/status/1584051656291160064?s=20&t=UU7GbKU-AuHgkXpc8t5MGg (https://twitter.com/BSullytyme/status/1584051656291160064?s=20&t=UU7GbKU-AuHgkXpc8t5MGg)

Team blocking:

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats_FB/status/1583929214658818048?s=20&t=gKEhGKrMopqBilMpGFgvIA

Defense is a little less exceptional, but its not without really bright spots:
D-line has been killing it this year, Seabass is a wrecking ball and Ends Grebe and Eiden really fast and strong.
Linebackers and secondary are a growing unit, for the most part really young and still learning. It takes them time to settle and in and figure things out but they eventually do.

This team is priming for another deep playoff run, and a lot of credit should go to coach Vigen, he is a very good coach.

That play Omar made really stuck out to me, as we were row 12 on the 50 on the Bobcats' side of the field so it was right in front of me. I commented to the ladyfriend about how #32 wanted exactly none of the freight train bearing down on him. xlolx

VandalBasher
November 1st, 2022, 02:24 PM
Sacramento State

Montana State

Weber State

Idaho

Montana

UC Davis

PSU

EWU

NAU

Idaho State

Northern Colorado

Cal Poly

This is from Tubs at the Club

https://www.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/yim3ob/big_sky_podcast_network_power_rankings_week_9/

SeattleCat
November 1st, 2022, 02:26 PM
That play Omar made really stuck out to me, as we were row 12 on the 50 on the Bobcats' side of the field so it was right in front of me. I commented to the ladyfriend about how #32 wanted exactly none of the freight train bearing down on him. xlolx

Who would? I think we should give Omar some snaps at FB, he can move!

SeattleCat
November 1st, 2022, 02:29 PM
To put IDAHO at 3rd or 4th, for now, in the BSC is fair. I think it is acceptable for even 5th, for now, as the Vandals get through the next three games. To end the season at 8-3 would be epic considering what we have gone through in the last five seasons.

Hey Vandal! The clouds over Moscow have cleared and the sun is shinning brightly! You guys have a great coach and McCoy.... oh boy, he's good, he looks more like a Senior than a Freshman. You guys are going to be a force for a while!

Green Cookie Monster
November 1st, 2022, 04:44 PM

Amazing what a good coach and staff can do. Pretty much same players, different result.
Hope we can retain both of our very successful coaches.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2022, 10:47 AM
1. MSU (1) - had a bye to prepare for a trip to NAU/Walkup Skydome
2. Sac State (2) - claimed another nice W, but another 3 point margin at home wasn't enough to jump MSU. A victory at Weber and they reclaim the top spot.
3. Idaho (3) - debated flip flopping with Weber, but Idaho beat the Griz by 7 on the road with Lucas Johnson at the helm while Weber beat them by 3 at home with Kris Brown.
4. Weber (4) - got a decent win over UM, but expected a larger margin so no movement.
5. UM (5) - hung tougher than I expected @BBQ with a backup QB, so after a bit of debate, I opted to leave them as is.
6. UC-Davis (6) - after a tough start to the year, Davis is murdering inferior opponents. If they beat Sac in the Causeway and UM loses in the Brawl I think the Aggies may be a better option for a 5th BSC team at 7-4. But time will tell
7. PSU (8) - ran out to a big lead over EWU and held off a fierce rally to get a nice road win.
8. EWU (7) - The Schmeagles are just looking for the end of the season with 2 more likely road losses upcoming.
9. NAU (9) - had a bye, as did 2 teams below them, so no movement
10. UNC (10) - see #9.
11. ISU-o (11) - see #10.
12. CP (12) - been a rocky run at Poly for Baldwin. Is his seat already getting hot?

1-4 strong contenders with only Idaho needing to win out to feel real good about their chances
5-6 could still make the playoffs, but the margin for error is slim and will depend on the strength of the bubble if one or both end up 7-4
7-12 "next year is our year", a phrase I'm all too familiar with as a Cubs fan.