PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared - Week 9, Fall 2022

Preferred Walk-On
October 29th, 2022, 11:14 PM
After a long, hard day of chemically-induced cognitive impairment and attempting to exert my influence on one particular contest outcome as an active spectator, I am about to go and "sleep it off".

But before I do that, I present to you this week's How They Fared sheet. CLICK HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gAxwEBjeTtEg97BU7frWDbZHcvunAUxbx7kB0AeeetA/edit?usp=sharing) to see how your favorite team, your least favorite team's opponent, and all of the rest of the games shook out on this beautiful football Saturday to end October.

DISCLAIMER: Due to slowed mental capacity, it is possible that a mistake or two could have occurred in compiling this data. If so, and as always, please let me know.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2022, 11:48 PM
Man... the CAA.

Elon beats W&M, Richmond, and Delaware but loses to UNH and URI
W&M beats Delaware and URI but loses to Elon
Delaware beats URI but loses to W&M and Elon
URI beats Elon but loses to W&M and Delaware
UNH beats Elon but hasn't really played anyone else and lost to NC Central
Richmond lost to Elon in double OT but hasn't really played (or beaten) anyone else of note
And then there's Nova lurking at 5-3

And of course I can't watch the vast majority of these games since they're on the wasteland known as Flo Sports.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/RLUyfJnogtXK44pm9t/giphy.gif

Catbooster
October 29th, 2022, 11:49 PM
PWO: That's dedication. Thanks!

PC, I have no idea how I'll end up placing CAA teams this week. I wonder if any two voters will have them in the same order xlolx

smilo
October 29th, 2022, 11:54 PM
Thank you as always!

I would like to note on top of this, I was having a lot of trouble selecting between 10 mediocre teams for the last spot of my unfinalized poll. I couldn't really rationalize voting for any of them standing above the others.

For now, I am giving a serious look to St. Francis (PA), who is now playoff bound already, despite not being anywhere on this sheet. I've generally had a major anti-NEC bias in my poll history, but these in-conference results are pretty impressive and the losses at Richmond and at Akron are close enough that I may reward them over teams with more bumps on the resume. (Compare that resume with UT-Martin, y'all. But that one may sort itself out next week.)

ElCid
October 30th, 2022, 12:41 AM
Thank you as always!

I would like to note on top of this, I was having a lot of trouble selecting between 10 mediocre teams for the last spot of my unfinalized poll. I couldn't really rationalize voting for any of them standing above the others.

For now, I am giving a serious look to St. Francis (PA), who is now playoff bound already, despite not being anywhere on this sheet. I've generally had a major anti-NEC bias in my poll history, but these in-conference results are pretty impressive and the losses at Richmond and at Akron are close enough that I may reward them over teams with more bumps on the resume. (Compare that resume with UT-Martin, y'all. But that one may sort itself out next week.)

Not a bad option, but I think their overall schedule is still a bit weak (112/130 in Massey; 254/261 in Sagarin, both not updated for today yet). I had a seriously hard time flushing out 20-25. Just like I had a hard time sorting the CAA mess.

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2022, 02:06 AM
Man... the CAA.

Richmond lost to Elon in double OT but hasn't really played (or beaten) anyone else of note

And of course I can't watch the vast majority of these games since they're on the wasteland known as Flo Sports.

Even us CAA fans don't know what to think........... and I have Flo sports, its so infuriating that over 90% of FCS games are now on ESPN+ except for the CAA......

hope UNH keeps rolling thoughxdrunkyx

bonarae
October 30th, 2022, 02:06 AM

When does Flo's contract with the CAA end?

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2022, 06:32 AM
Should learn a lot in the next two weeks with UNH playing Richmond and Richmond playing WM and UNH.

There are too many teams in this league.

Tribe4SF
October 30th, 2022, 06:42 AM
Should learn a lot in the next two weeks with UNH playing Richmond and Richmond playing WM and UNH.

There are too many teams in this league.

Ha! Wait till next year when A&T and Campbell come in.

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2022, 07:29 AM
Call me crazy but I think the SoCon will get more at-large bids than the CAA at this rate.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 30th, 2022, 07:50 AM
Ha! Wait till next year when A&T and Campbell come in.

Yep, it's going to be even more difficult ranking teams within the conference with fewer games between members. With 15 members and 8 league games, each team will not play 7 schools. Will there be three pods of five where you play four members of your pod every season (for cost containment)? Scheduling will be so random, I foresee crossover games not always giving us enough games to accurately evaluate the best teams.

Delaware and Richmond have been league mates with UNH, Maine and Rhody since 1986. Villanova and W&M for over 25 years IIRC. Having these long time football rivals, for me has taken some of the sting out of losing UConn, UMass, Northeastern and Boston University as football league mates. Having fewer games going forward with Nova, UD, Richmond and W&M also makes me unhappy as a season ticket holder and road trip enthusiast.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2022, 07:52 AM
When does Flo's contract with the CAA end?
I thought I recall hearing this was the last season of their current media deal.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2022, 08:10 AM
I thought I recall hearing this was the last season of their current media deal.

....DID MARTY....HAVE HIS GRUBB HOOKS...IN DAT PIE....xchinscratchx.....BRAWK!

crusader11
October 30th, 2022, 08:13 AM
The additions of Hampton, A+T and Campbell are destroying the football component of the CAA.

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2022, 08:14 AM
I hope we move fully to CBS Sports or ESPN with the ability to sell our second tier or tertiary rights to local companies or streaming platforms.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2022, 08:16 AM
Man... the CAA.

Relax, things will be less confusing when the regular season ends. Rank the CAA teams however you'd like - it will all change again
next weeks any way. Also in addition Albany, Towson, Maine and Monmouth could all play the spoiler in upcoming games.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2022, 08:23 AM
Relax, things will be less confusing when the regular season ends. Rank the CAA teams however you'd like - it will all change again
next weeks any way. Also in addition Albany, Towson, Maine and Monmouth could all play the spoiler in upcoming games.

....IFIN' DRAKE/UTAH TECH/GEORGETOWN.....ETC.......... CAN DO IT.....................ANYBODY CAN........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2022, 08:24 AM
Man... the CAA.

Oh come on professor ...you know what to do

Just rank every good CAA team that you mentioned below every good Big Sky team. Haha

KPSUL
October 30th, 2022, 08:27 AM
Call me crazy but I think the SoCon will get more at-large bids than the CAA at this rate.

The SoCon is going pretty much the way th CAA is this year, it's hard to tell who will be at the top week to week.

Nothing wrong, and in fact a lot right with highly competitive conferences.

I agree with other poster on this thread - the CAA is too large, and next year with 15 teams. The only answer is divide the CA Association into two conferences and get an auto-bid for each of them. Otherwise, I'd advise NC A&T and Campbell to stay in the Big South.

The Cats
October 30th, 2022, 08:39 AM
After a long, hard day of chemically-induced cognitive impairment and attempting to exert my influence on one particular contest outcome as an active spectator, I am about to go and "sleep it off".

But before I do that, I present to you this week's How They Fared sheet. CLICK HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gAxwEBjeTtEg97BU7frWDbZHcvunAUxbx7kB0AeeetA/edit?usp=sharing) to see how your favorite team, your least favorite team's opponent, and all of the rest of the games shook out on this beautiful football Saturday to end October.

DISCLAIMER: Due to slowed mental capacity, it is possible that a mistake or two could have occurred in compiling this data. If so, and as always, please let me know.

Thanks for doing this. It really helps.

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2022, 09:03 AM
The SoCon is going pretty much the way th CAA is this year, it's hard to tell who will be at the top week to week.

Nothing wrong, and in fact a lot right with highly competitive conferences.

I agree with other poster on this thread - the CAA is too large, and next year with 15 teams. The only answer is divide the CA Association into two conferences and get an auto-bid for each of them. Otherwise, I'd advise NC A&T and Campbell to stay in the Big South.

Money has been paid by A&T. That Big South ship has sailed for us.

TribePride52
October 30th, 2022, 09:08 AM
The additions of Hampton, A+T and Campbell are destroying the football component of the CAA.
Adding Monmouth was awful, too, I think. Their defense would have a hard time stopping a snail.
Giving up 52 to that inept Towson offense is just ridiculous.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Adding Monmouth was awful, too, I think. Their defense would have a hard time stopping a snail.
Giving up 52 to that inept Towson offense is just ridiculous.

LET US SEE IFIN' DEY...STOP OURAH....SLOTH LIKE BACKFIELD..........AWK!

Tribe4SF
October 30th, 2022, 09:35 AM

Disagree. All three are committed not only to building their football programs but all their sports. May not love having so many members but the conference is secure with the new all-sport additions. Lots of people moaned when Elon came in and look at them now.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2022, 09:40 AM

...EVERAH CONFERENCE.....HAS UH DRAKE/LAMAR/IDAHO STATE/WOFFY.....OR STONY BROOK.....BRAWK!

KPSUL
October 30th, 2022, 10:19 AM
....DID MARTY....HAVE HIS GRUBB HOOKS...IN DAT PIE....xchinscratchx.....BRAWK!

Hardly. In fact I'm sure he was instrumental in getting UNH football covered regionally in New England by NESN and then NBC Sports Boston. Neither of which we have this season.

Sorry most of you can't see CAAFB on FLO without paying 12.99 bucks month. You're missing a lot of good games.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Disagree. All three are committed not only to building their football programs but all their sports. May not love having so many members but the conference is secure with the new all-sport additions. Lots of people moaned when Elon came in and look at them now.

It's fine with me, IF, we go to a 2 conference alignment. NC A&T and Campbell are both quality FCS programs this year, maybe not good enough yet to challenge for a CAA title, but they'd win some games. Hampton is already a member so any discussion about that is pointless. In fact we should look for one final CAA Football member to get to an even 16. Probably a football only member would work best.

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2022, 10:33 AM

Look for details about A&T’s plan and $80 million+ goal Capital Campaign next year.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Look for details about A&T’s plan and $80 million+ goal Capital Campaign next year.

You guys have proven your value as an FCS program, that's just a little gravy on top. Why I welcome you playing football in the CAA, I do think the break-up of the MEAC is unfortunate. It seems inconsistent that at a time the HBCU community is generally gaining in admissions, graduates and resources, a traditionally HBCU conference has lost membership. Wouldn't a strategy of improving the entire conference's competitiveness been preferable to leaving for NC A&T, Hampton and possibly Howard? What issues kept that from happening?

Preferred Walk-On
October 30th, 2022, 10:57 AM
Oh come on professor ...you know what to do

Just rank every good CAA team that you mentioned below every good Big Sky team. Haha

You know, on second thought, that really does not seem like that outrageous of an idea. After all, it was but two weeks ago that someone stated how Delaware was drastically better than Rhode Island. Heck, a week 3 game/score said so.

Then, more recently, two weekends ago, or week 7 for those of you playing at home, that lowly Rams team beat Elon. Granted that Rams team also played essentially equal to Monmouth last week, but the amazingly better-than-the-Rams Blue Hens just got thumped, in week 3 Ram-like fashion, by the team the Rams beat just two weeks ago.

The point…the CAA is putting the “cluster” in clusterf***. You really can’t separate them, so if you put them in front of the Big Sky biggies, you really have to put all of them in front of the Big Sky biggies. And that there is the f*** part that the CAA is also contributing to the term clusterf***.

Maybe one can help sort this out with some sort of logical argument for (a) how to sort the CAA teams and (b) how to justify separating them (and placing them above some teams, but not others). This could be a case of really good CAA teams with a bunch of parity, or it could be a bunch of really average CAA teams with a bunch of parity. Please help the voters with how to make these distinctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KPSUL
October 30th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Money has been paid by A&T. That Big South ship has sailed for us.

I'm pretty sure that CAAFB will go to something like the split alignment I've mentioned here; so should be no problem.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2022, 05:03 PM
You know, on second thought, that really does not seem like that outrageous of an idea. After all, it was but two weeks ago that someone stated how Delaware was drastically better than Rhode Island. Heck, a week 3 game/score said so.

Then, more recently, two weekends ago, or week 7 for those of you playing at home, that lowly Rams team beat Elon. Granted that Rams team also played essentially equal to Monmouth last week, but the amazingly better-than-the-Rams Blue Hens just got thumped, in week 3 Ram-like fashion, by the team the Rams beat just two weeks ago.

The point…the CAA is putting the “cluster” in clusterf***. You really can’t separate them, so if you put them in front of the Big Sky biggies, you really have to put all of them in front of the Big Sky biggies. And that there is the f*** part that the CAA is also contributing to the term clusterf***.

Maybe one can help sort this out with some sort of logical argument for (a) how to sort the CAA teams and (b) how to justify separating them (and placing them above some teams, but not others). This could be a case of really good CAA teams with a bunch of parity, or it could be a bunch of really average CAA teams with a bunch of parity. Please help the voters with how to make these distinctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don’t see what the fascination is about Rhode Island, they are always a day late and a dollar short

Preferred Walk-On
October 30th, 2022, 07:04 PM
I just don’t see what the fascination is about Rhode Island, they are always a day late and a dollar short

No real fascination with the Rams. Just using them for a comparison with other CAA teams, because while they don't appear to be world beaters, they are really no worse in the grand scheme of each top CAA team beating one another.

I think that by you saying they are a "day late and a dollar short", you are indicating the CAA is full of average teams with a lot of parity. I don't think you really believe that, but if you think Rhode Island is average, I just am not sure how you surmise the others are that much better.

What would probably be helpful is if someone, especially someone following the CAA closely, could explain how the teams can/should be differentiated AND perhaps some evidence that they are really good and/or the Big Sky teams are not as good as they appear. Until then, your (I'm hoping sarcastic) remark to Chaos about ranking them after most of the Big Sky teams probably holds as much validity as any other ranking strategy.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2022, 07:38 PM
No real fascination with the Rams. Just using them for a comparison with other CAA teams, because while they don't appear to be world beaters, they are really no worse in the grand scheme of each top CAA team beating one another.

I think that by you saying they are a "day late and a dollar short", you are indicating the CAA is full of average teams with a lot of parity. I don't think you really believe that, but if you think Rhode Island is average, I just am not sure how you surmise the others are that much better.

What would probably be helpful is if someone, especially someone following the CAA closely, could explain how the teams can/should be differentiated AND perhaps some evidence that they are really good and/or the Big Sky teams are not as good as they appear. Until then, your (I'm hoping sarcastic) remark to Chaos about ranking them after most of the Big Sky teams probably holds as much validity as any other ranking strategy.

Just let the season play out and final scores should help us do the differentiations

my Rhode Island comment wasn’t directed at you, it actually goes back to last year.

Tribal
October 30th, 2022, 08:09 PM
Yes, Northern Division and Southern Division with AQ from each, go to 16 CAAF teams, and call it a day.

And, I am happy with the additions. They offer a lot across the board and prove, once again, the CAA isn’t a “sinking ship.” The only people who think the CAA is dying are stuck in 2005.

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2022, 09:55 PM
SoCon deserves 3 At-Large bids unless…
* Chattanooga loses to The Citadel or WCU
* Samford loses to VMI
* Furman loses to Wofford

If those 3 Teams win those 4 games, regardless of ANY other outcomes, and the SoCon doesn’t have 4 Teams in the Playoffs, then the Playoffs are nothing but an f’in joke and shouldn’t be legitimized by anyone.

ALSO …. Although it won’t happen because of the BS pre-season bias, at least 2 SoCon Teams should be seeded.

semobison
October 31st, 2022, 07:58 AM
* Samford loses to VMI

If those 3 Teams win those 4 games, regardless of ANY other outcomes, and the SoCon doesn’t have 4 Teams in the Playoffs, then the Playoffs are nothing but an f’in joke and shouldn’t be legitimized by anyone.

ALSO …. Although it won’t happen because of the BS pre-season bias, at least 2 SoCon Teams should be seeded.

Bias? Seeds? History matters, SoCon has had only 4 teams make the quarter’s and none in the semi’s since GS in 2012!

FUBeAR
October 31st, 2022, 09:03 AM
Bias? Seeds? History matters, SoCon has had only 4 teams make the quarter’s and none in the semi’s since GS in 2012!
How much “history matters?” As much as you think should or should not?

Each season is an independent occurrence. The only history that should matter is that which has been written since Week 0 of 2022.

atthewbon
October 31st, 2022, 09:35 AM
* Samford loses to VMI

Agree with Chattanooga, Samford , and Furman if they end 8-3 or better (which they would under your scenario) they should all definitely make it. If Mercer loses to Furman and Samford to finish 7-4 having lost 3 out of the last 4 idk if they get in with what is looking like may be a competitive bubble. That’s the only chance those 3 teams winning those 4 games can have of the SoCon not getting 4 teams in. I think the SoCon is in a very good position to get 4 teams in baring any upsets. Which of course means there will be some upsets.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 31st, 2022, 10:41 AM
Voting closes in 20 min. so get them in if you have not yet.

Chalupa Batman
October 31st, 2022, 12:19 PM
* Samford loses to VMI

I said somewhere else last week that any of the top 4 SoCon teams with 7 wins and at least 1 win over the other 3 top teams will be in the playoffs, and any SoCon team with 7 wins and 0 wins against the other 3 top teams will be sweating it out on the bubble with other 7 win teams from the Big Sky, Valley, & CAA (teams like Montana should they lose the Brawl, North Dakota, etc.) Furman, Samford, & Chattanooga all have 1 such win, so as long as Mercer wins 1 of their final two games against Samford & Furman they'll be in. Lose out they'll be on the bubble. I also think should Furman lose to Mercer, they'll need to beat Wofford and get to 8 wins to feel completely safe since they have the non-counter against North Greenville.