PDA

View Full Version : Merrimack Football in playoffs

downbythebeach
October 28th, 2022, 11:49 AM
They are having a surprisingly good year and could win the NEC. All their games are pretty tight whether they play a playoff level team or a doormat.
Does anyone know if they are eligible for the playoffs this year. If not, how would their games effect any tie breaker scenarios?

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2022, 11:54 AM
Sounds like they would be: https://merrimackathletics.com/news/2022/6/28/athletic-department-northeast-conference-decision-grants-merrimack-postseason-eligibility.aspx

They were a D1 startup program correct? Not a transitioning D2 program? I think that means they're eligible right away for at-large consideration and for conference championships/autobids at the conference's discretion.

EDIT: Nevermind - looks like they are in the D2->D1 transition period. So I'm pretty sure they could be declared NEC champs but wouldn't be eligible for the autobid.

Libertine
October 28th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Merrimack won't be eligible for NCAA post-season until the 2023-24 academic year. Starting this year, they can be declared an NEC champion but the runner-up would be the conference representative to any NCAA playoffs.

dbackjon
October 28th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Sucks they aren't eligible, but they knew the rules

MTfan4life
October 28th, 2022, 04:29 PM
Yet another batch of transitioning college athletes disallowed from competing at the highest level... xrotatehxxsmiley_wix

(Don't make this political. Please just learn to laugh.)

JacksFan40
October 28th, 2022, 04:31 PM
Sucks they aren't eligible, but they knew the rules
Doesn’t change the fact that they’re dumb rules.

dbackjon
October 28th, 2022, 05:01 PM

For the most part agree - the rationale behind them was that D2 has lower admission standards than DI - this was to prevent a school from loading up on players that wouldn't qualify for DI academically, and then come in and compete.

I would waive that if they could show that all their athletes would have qualified as DI athletes at the time of admission.

Libertine
October 28th, 2022, 09:51 PM

But...they aren't dumb. The rules are designed to A) make sure that everyone competing for a title is competing by the same rules and B) protect the integrity of the championship tournament. Can you imagine the uproar if Winston-Salem St had loaded up on enough good players under D2 rules to compete for a D1 title, knocked a few existing FCS teams out of the playoffs and then called "whoopsie" and immediately gone back to D2?

Just because the purpose of something isn't immediately obvious doesn't mean it doesn't have one.

Redbird 4th & short
October 28th, 2022, 10:12 PM
But...they aren't dumb. The rules are designed to A) make sure that everyone competing for a title is competing by the same rules and B) protect the integrity of the championship tournament. Can you imagine the uproar if Winston-Salem St had loaded up on enough good players under D2 rules to compete for a D1 title, knocked a few existing FCS teams out of the playoffs and then called "whoopsie" and immediately gone back to D2?

Just because the purpose of something isn't immediately obvious doesn't mean it doesn't have one.

Well stated .. always assume there are good reasons and you will be right 90% of the time or more.

ElCid
October 28th, 2022, 10:55 PM

Exactly. Most rules, regardless of the activity or subject, are in place for a good reason that may not be apparent to everyone. And usually for the worst case. When you dig into it, they make more sense.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2022, 07:35 AM
I think this rule, like some other NCAA rules such as having to sit out a year when you transfer up/sideways as an undergrad (which now has the one-time exception), has an ulterior motive of passively dissuading schools to reclassify until they're really committed to it. Without it you'd see a similar uptick of reclassifications to what we've seen with the undergrad transfer restrictions loosened.

Now what would really be interesting is if the NCAA adopted some kind of X year "transition period" with no postseason eligibility for conferences movies. xsmiley_wix

Not promoting it or necessarily agreeing with it... I just think it would be interesting with all the musical chairs being played in all conferences right now.

NY Crusader 2010
October 29th, 2022, 09:01 AM
Look up North Dakota State's 2007 season. They finished #3 in I-AA that year but were ineligible for the tournament. I think they beat Minnesota AND Central Michigan that year. If eligible, they probably could've beaten anyone outside of App State that year.

dewey
October 29th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Look up North Dakota State's 2007 season. They finished #3 in I-AA that year but were ineligible for the tournament. I think they beat Minnesota AND Central Michigan that year. If eligible, they probably could've beaten anyone outside of App State that year.

IMHO the 2006 NDSU team was better. Either 2006 or 2007 probably could have beaten anyone outside of Appalachian State.

I do agree with PC that the transition period is meant to dissuade teams from moving up so much.

Dewey

downbythebeach
October 29th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Saint Francis seems to have locked up the NEC autobid today after beating SHU. Barring any weird tiebreaker rules and with Merrimack ineligible, SFU could lose their final conference games and be 5-2. The only playoff eligible team that could reach 5-2 in conference is SHU if they won out. SFU beat SHU head to head.