PDA

View Full Version : Stephen F. Austin Joining the Texas Tech System?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2022, 07:37 PM
Anyone close to the situation have any additional information? How might this affect Lumberjack athletics in general? Their place within Texas's overall college athletic landscape?

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/10/26/texas-tech-invites-sfa-join-university-system/

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/10/26/the-blitz?ref=related_thumb

SFA 93
October 27th, 2022, 07:52 PM
Tons of discussion on the topic on the Sawmill

UT, Texas Tech, Texas State, or Texas A&M all in the running.

Tech wants this the most

https://sfasawmill.com/forums/5/topics/1389

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/university-system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Asx2Xg2geE

DFW HOYA
October 27th, 2022, 08:29 PM
"Texas Tech is not the only university system that has propositioned Stephen F. Austin with affiliation. SFA has also received offers from the university systems of Texas A&M, the University of Texas, and Texas State. All of which fielded questions from SFA regarding the merits of affiliation."

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2022, 08:39 PM
"Texas Tech is not the only university system that has propositioned Stephen F. Austin with affiliation. SFA has also received offers from the university systems of Texas A&M, the University of Texas, and Texas State. All of which fielded questions from SFA regarding the merits of affiliation."

Based on a quick gauge of the "temp in the room" it appears UT and Tech offer the two best landing spots? Seems like Tech has made a late push which slanted the narrative a bit? Today is the first time I really picked up on SFA's looming decision and that was after speaking with a faculty member at Lamar (Texas State System).

DFW HOYA
October 27th, 2022, 09:53 PM
Based on a quick gauge of the "temp in the room" it appears UT and Tech offer the two best landing spots? Seems like Tech has made a late push which slanted the narrative a bit? Today is the first time I really picked up on SFA's looming decision and that was after speaking with a faculty member at Lamar (Texas State System).

UT offers the biggest opportunity for endowment and state funding, but with the bureaucracy of the UT system to name presidents and leaders at the member schools. But, and they'll never say it publicly, they could one day turn SFA into UT-Nacogdoches and the school really wouldn't have much of a say, as what happened to West Texas State (now West Texas A&M) or Texas A&I (now Texas A&M-Kingsville)

Texas Tech doesn't have any presence in central or east Texas and its two systems schools are obscure even within Texas (Angelo State, Midwestern State). This would seem a better candidate if SFA wants to be absolutely sure to maintain its identity.

katss07
October 28th, 2022, 03:57 AM
I highly doubt SFA would ever be on board with a move that could put their university’s name in harms way. In fact, there may be legislation in place protecting it from being changed. About 15 years ago, the school now known as Texas State attempted to force SHSU and Lamar to change their names as well. “Texas State at Huntsville/Beaumont” wasn’t going over well, so legislation was put in place preventing name changes in regards to schools named after Texan heroes. Not sure if SFA was included. They weren’t in the TSUS at this point. Maybe an SFA fan can chime in on this one, but I doubt their name ever changes.

SFA 93
October 28th, 2022, 05:35 AM
Yes, SFA has their name protected under legislation.

Senate Bill 596

It was signed into law during Gov. Perry's administration in 2009.

https://www.sfaalumni.com/news/29453/Texas-Governor-to-sign-legislation-at-SFA-on-Aug.-24.htm

Catatonic
October 28th, 2022, 06:53 AM
TAMU’s pitch seems to focus on the forestry connection, promising a new building and moving several extension related offices to Nac.

UT promises money to raise faculty salaries and provide student scholarships to help turn around a declining enrollment.

Neither of the other systems can offer such financial incentives.

SFA 93
October 28th, 2022, 07:51 AM
Yes, the Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture at SFA is one of the best in the country and would be a big feather in the Texas A&M system.

But many at SFA don't feel that this department needs any improvement and is fine as is.

Yes, the UT system would bring the most money to the table.

Catatonic
October 28th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Yes, the Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture at SFA is one of the best in the country and would be a big feather in the Texas A&M system.

But many at SFA don't feel that this department needs any improvement and is fine as is.

Yes, the UT system would bring the most money to the table.

I just saw a tweet that SFA faculty and staff overwhelmingly support UT’s offer.

SFA 93
October 28th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Yes, I agree on the UT system as well, as it all comes down really to the money.

Catatonic
October 28th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Yes, I agree on the UT system as well, as it all comes down really to the money.
Plus you don’t have to wear orange.

Daytripper
October 28th, 2022, 02:01 PM

UT and TAMU have all of that Permanent University Fund oil and gas money.

Catatonic
October 28th, 2022, 02:25 PM
And Sam doesn’t get any of it and still has to wear orange. :)

SFA 93
October 28th, 2022, 04:14 PM

There is that! :)

JacksFan40
October 28th, 2022, 04:30 PM
I never realized that all the UT schools wear orange until now. Interesting.

dbackjon
October 28th, 2022, 05:02 PM
I never realized that all the UT schools wear orange until now. Interesting.

It's the mark of servitude.

Panther88
October 28th, 2022, 09:12 PM
Only those two or is it three w/ the third being an outlier w/ the smaller cut?

Daytripper
October 29th, 2022, 01:07 AM
There is that! :)
https://gobearkats.com/images/2021/5/16/Podium.jpg?width=942&quality=80&format=jpg

Catatonic
October 29th, 2022, 05:34 AM
Only those two or is it three w/ the third being an outlier w/ the smaller cut?
Only those two, with TAMU receiving a smaller cut that UT.

SFA 93
October 29th, 2022, 12:57 PM
Exciting time to be a Lumberjack right now, with a new President coming in (still to be determined), joining a major university system that will bring growth to SFA, upgrades going up all over the campus in academics and sports.

Axe'Em!

Panther88
October 29th, 2022, 09:14 PM
Only those two, with TAMU receiving a smaller cut that UT.

Oh no. I thought it was 3 w/ ut-austin #1 followed closely by tamu/b-cs and then such and such?? xconfusedx

Panther88
October 30th, 2022, 07:42 AM
I'll stop jacking around. The E&DSF fund distribution is in this order, per the citizens of tejas: 1. ut-austin 2. ta&m-b/cs 3. PVAMU 4. ut-system 5. txa&m system, by name and order.

texas' legislators & voters amended and accepted the current distribution yet too many are unaware of the distribution heirarchy? xconfusedx That 5th state of the art engineering building ($70M) we are bordering completion looks great in our engineering complex.

Catatonic
October 30th, 2022, 08:38 AM
I'll stop jacking around. The E&DSF fund distribution is in this order, per the citizens of tejas: 1. ut-austin 2. ta&m-b/cs 3. PVAMU 4. ut-system 5. txa&m system, by name and order.

texas' legislators & voters amended and accepted the current distribution yet too many are unaware of the distribution heirarchy? xconfusedx That 5th state of the art engineering building ($70M) we are bordering completion looks great in our engineering complex.

It’s great that we live in a state with multiple sources of funding. However, the funding source you are citing is separate from the one we have been discussing, which is based on oil and gas money. Here is a link to the PUF website- https://www.utsystem.edu/puf

Panther88
October 30th, 2022, 08:43 AM
It’s great that we live in a state with multiple sources of funding. However, the funding source you are citing is separate from the one we have been discussing, which is based on oil and gas money. Here is a link to the PUF website- https://www.utsystem.edu/puf
E&DSF distribution is via the PUF.

I think you need to go read what the legislature proposed and amended decades ago.

Catatonic
October 30th, 2022, 09:04 AM
E&DSF distribution is via the PUF.

I think you need to go read what the legislature proposed and amended decades ago.

You are correct but prairie view is part of the A&M system, no? Funding for your institution comes from Texas A&M’s share, no? So funding is still limited to the UT and A&M systems. Texas State, Texas Tech, Texas Southern, NTSZu, Houston and numerous other schools don’t have access to these monies.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2022, 09:05 AM
MAYBE...SF..SHOOD JOIN.....UTAH TECH'S SYSTEM...........WHOSE YER DADDY.....AUSTIN.....???......AWK!

Catatonic
October 30th, 2022, 09:09 AM
MAYBE...SF..SHOOD JOIN.....UTAH TECH'S SYSTEM...........WHOSE YER DADDY.....AUSTIN.....???......AWK!
That was a bit of a surprise. Good one.

Panther88
October 30th, 2022, 09:16 AM
You are correct but prairie view is part of the A&M system, no? Funding for your institution comes from Texas A&M’s share, no? So funding is still limited to the UT and A&M systems. Texas State, Texas Tech, Texas Southern, NTSZu, Houston and numerous other schools don’t have access to these monies.

I'm speaking to the distribution of PUF's E&DSF. It ranks the heirarchy, by name specifically. Although we are a part of the *vomiting in my mouth* "a&m system," it ranks the distributions by name from 1 to 5. We are #3, behind the school in bryan/college station.

The university of texas @ Nacogdoches. The good folk in austin are highly "woke" these days w/ their pancake factory NIL and Lambo-Luster NIL and all. Gotta' keep the natives wearing the horn heads on their helmet decently happy. xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2022, 09:42 AM
That was a bit of a surprise. Good one.

WHERE'S DUH REPPIES....xlovex.....AWK!

katss07
October 30th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Utah Tech-Nacogdouches has a nice ring to it

SFA 93
October 30th, 2022, 11:05 AM
I'm speaking to the distribution of PUF's E&DSF. It ranks the heirarchy, by name specifically. Although we are a part of the *vomiting in my mouth* "a&m system," it ranks the distributions by name from 1 to 5. We are #3, behind the school in bryan/college station.

The university of texas @ Nacogdoches. The good folk in austin are highly "woke" these days w/ their pancake factory NIL and Lambo-Luster NIL and all. Gotta' keep the natives wearing the horn heads on their helmet decently happy. xlolx

I think it is unlikely that is comes down to getting that UT name, as it seems to be a buyers market for SFA and pretty much getting what they want (being so desirable to these University systems) in terms of keeping their identity and culture.

But we will see.

SFA 93
October 30th, 2022, 12:49 PM
Looks like SFA Regents meet at 1:00 P.M. today, this thing is close.

Catatonic
October 30th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Looks like SFA Regents meet at 1:00 P.M. today, this thing is close.
If some of the fans over on the Sawmill had their way the meeting would be to fire Carthel and hire yourselves a good fb coach. xcoffeex

SFA 93
October 30th, 2022, 04:39 PM
If some of the fans over on the Sawmill had their way the meeting would be to fire Carthel and hire yourselves a good fb coach. xcoffeex

Naw, you mean one fan as in singular.

SFA 93
November 8th, 2022, 11:24 AM
The Board of Regents have a special meeting on Tuesday, November 29.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2022, 08:58 AM
The Board of Regents have a special meeting on Tuesday, November 29.

So, does this mean you are joining the Tech system?

SFA 93
November 10th, 2022, 04:57 PM
I have no clue, but the feeling is a lean towards joining UT.

We will see.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2022, 06:07 PM
I have no clue, but the feeling is a lean towards joining UT.

We will see.

UT will have a LOT more money...but you will lose a LOT of your independence and autonomy...TAMU seems a better fit with forestry and such.

SFA 93
November 18th, 2022, 08:50 PM
A formed sub-committee has studied all the system affiliations in consideration and they have made a recommendation to the board.

Looks like we will know what system was selected on Nov. 29 during the board meeting.

SFA 93
November 28th, 2022, 01:57 PM
SFA Board just showed the summary of financial benefit over the next 4 years

University of Texas $124.3 Million
Texas A&M $33.7 Million
Texas State $7.4 Million
Texas Tech $357,000

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/university-system

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2022, 02:57 PM
Some of those numbers don't pass the small test. No shared services savings with the TT System? Do they not consolidate shared services?

The short answer is that the PUF provides resources the other systems can't match. Still, becoming the nominative UT-Piney Woods or TAMU-Nacogdoches may not be worth the effort.

Daytripper
November 28th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Some of those numbers don't pass the small test. No shared services savings with the TT System? Do they not consolidate shared services?

The short answer is that the PUF provides resources the other systems can't match. Still, becoming the nominative UT-Piney Woods or TAMU-Nacogdoches may not be worth the effort.

Agree. They would just be the second cousin twice removed of the system. No real identity. Just another nondescript member of the family.

SFA 93
November 28th, 2022, 05:17 PM
more detail in the numbers

https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/financial-proposal-values-summary.pdf

SFA 93
November 28th, 2022, 06:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FiriyBtXkAA-tAs?format=jpg&name=large

SFA 93
November 29th, 2022, 10:09 AM
SFA board meeting going on today, and the subcommittee says they think UT is the system for SFA and why (basically the money) and now everyone on the board must vote.

"The PUF is the second largest endowment fund in the country…reported to shortly overtake Harvard as the largest."

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2022, 10:16 AM
It has been said in the past that UT will never, never interfere with the SFA branding and logo. Don't buy it.

Every one of their previous acquisitions eventually brands to UT. Purple and burnt orange is a future to be avoided.

Catatonic
November 29th, 2022, 10:48 AM
It has been said in the past that UT will never, never interfere with the SFA branding and logo. Don't buy it.

Every one of their previous acquisitions eventually brands to UT. Purple and burnt orange is a future to be avoided.

the past isn’t always prologue.

SFA 93
November 29th, 2022, 11:02 AM
UT swears up and down they are not changing the name, or logo, etc. but we will see.

They really want to diversify and SFA does that for them with our school of Forestry and AG Department.

SFA 93
November 29th, 2022, 12:17 PM
https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/local/sfa-board-of-regents-votes-join-ut-system/501-eb38783f-1a79-4175-805a-974d158293c4

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fiv0CqnWIAg2b3z?format=jpg&name=medium
The Board votes yes for SFA to join UT.

Still some legal things to pass, but this a new era for SFA, watch us grow!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 29th, 2022, 01:31 PM
I always hate to see an institution lose a level of autonomy. Hopefully this truly benefits SFA moving forward.

SFA 93
November 30th, 2022, 12:26 PM
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/29/stephen-f-austin-state-university-system-vote/

"We committed what we thought was responsible, as well as fair, to our System components and universities, but the UT System committed almost four times as much money, "Sharp said. "I congratulate the UT System and SFA. Well played, Lumberjacks!

Texas A&M System Chancellor John Sharp

UT SYSTEM
- Immediate $1 million more annual student scholarships
- $5.5 million more in faculty salaries
- $124 Million in additional value

Regents said they chose the UT System because of its access to the Permanent University Fund, which consists of oil and gas assets.

They made a deal hard to resist.

ST_Lawson
November 30th, 2022, 01:53 PM
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/29/stephen-f-austin-state-university-system-vote/

"We committed what we thought was responsible, as well as fair, to our System components and universities, but the UT System committed almost four times as much money, "Sharp said. "I congratulate the UT System and SFA. Well played, Lumberjacks!

UT SYSTEM

Hey Illinois...want a campus on the west side of the state?

Daytripper
November 30th, 2022, 07:13 PM

UT SYSTEM

Regents said they chose the UT System because of its access to the Permanent University Fund, which consists of oil and gas assets.

I get why you guys did this, but you have absolutely lost any autonomy that you had. The money will be there, for sure, but you will be told exactly how and where to spend it. I hope you can keep the name, but UT rules the Texas higher education universe with an iron hand. They get what they want.

Now, it makes me wonder if TAMU might want to counter this fairly significant move by their rival and come courting Sam Houston to join their system (The same oil and gas money, but just less)?

I would seriously consider it only if we could keep our name. Tarleton is part of the their system and continue with their original brand.

SFA 93
November 30th, 2022, 07:20 PM
I think we will be alright, thanks for your concern. lol

You know you would take this deal in a heart beat.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 30th, 2022, 07:40 PM
Hey Illinois...want a campus on the west side of the state?

University of Illinois at Macomb? Hopefully it does not come to that. I know WIU faces some significant financial hurdles but there are answers out there which can solidify their autonomy. WIU needs to figure out a way to attract kids from the Quad Cities and St. Louis....

ST_Lawson
November 30th, 2022, 10:35 PM
University of Illinois at Macomb? Hopefully it does not come to that. I know WIU faces some significant financial hurdles but there are answers out there which can solidify their autonomy. WIU needs to figure out a way to attract kids from the Quad Cities and St. Louis....

Actually, our enrollment has been relatively stable the last couple of years and up 2.52% this last year. The problem is, it seems like we can't keep anyone here. Employees that are good get headhunted and go elsewhere. Athletes who actually show a little promise decide to hit the portal (which, I know is not a problem unique to us). Despite the fact that we're getting more from the state than we have the last few years, in terms of inflation-adjusted amounts, we're getting less than half what we did 20 years ago. As an alumni, employee, and fan, it just gets kinda depressing sometimes. Having our first winless football season in 78 years is also not helping.

Daytripper
December 1st, 2022, 06:11 AM
I think we will be alright, thanks for your concern. lol

You know you would take this deal in a heart beat.

No doubt.

SFA 93
December 6th, 2022, 05:05 PM
The UT System Regents have authorized James B. Milliken to lead next steps in affiliating with SFA.

To honor SFA, the Chancellor wore a purple tie to a UT System event this afternoon and drew resounding applause from 500+ employees from UT institutions upon sharing today's big news.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjU2rZMWYA4CLhE?format=jpg&name=medium