PDA

View Full Version : Next Yankees Manager Thread

CollegeSportsInfo
October 24th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Seems like it's worth having a single thread on this topic since the world Series thread will focus on the Rockies vs Red Sox series.

So to update, Girardi and Mattingly both interviewed and Tony Pena is interviewing right now. Mattingly has been called the frontrunner and based on his responses to the press yesterday and today, he apparently feels his interview went well.

The Yankees thus far aren't expected to interview any other candidates (Pena fulfills Selig's request for teams to interview minority candidates).

The Yankees are rumored to be naming their next manager on Friday.

putter
October 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
This is a tough call. Girardi has the managerial experience but Mattingly is a true Yankee and knows this team better than Joe and maybe better than Pena. I would think that George goes with Donny Baseball.

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Hank and Hal are running the team now.

Seahawks Fan
October 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Girardi may not have the right temperment to manage the high priced Yankees. I say they go with Donny Baseball.

TheValleyRaider
October 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Girardi learned a few things while managing the Marlins, but for all the talk of Mattingly's lack of experience, he's been bench coach for a couple of years now. Girardi was bench coach for all of 1 season before being hired.

And as much as the younger Steinbrenners are running the show, if George wants Donnie Baseball, then Donnie Baseball manages the team.

I would bet Mattingly's the guy, but I guess we'll find out Friday

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Mattingly has been bench coach for 1 year. He was hitting coach before that.

Also catchers have an added advantage when moving into managing because they already have a feel for handling the pitching side of the game that a 1st baseman wouldnt have.

That comes in handy for guys like Girardi, Pena and Eric Wedge.

JoltinJoe
October 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Hank and Hal are running the team now.

Son of Steinbrenner. xsmhx

danefan
October 24th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Any chance of the Yanks getting both Mattingly and Girardi on the staff? Probably a long shot, but that would be great.

I love Donny Baseball, but I think Girardi would do a better job.

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I dont think Girardi will take a backseat, not after the success he had in Florida, he would just assume look elsewhere or return to YES for another year and see what opens up midseason and after in 2008.

If Girardi is named manager, then I could see Mattingly staying as bench coach, though he maybe upset with being passed over. Of course the alternative could be the Steinbrenners tell Mattingly to go manage AAA or AA and when they feel he's ready he can be considered then...

I dont see the Yankees making a serious run at the World Series for the next few years and the manager will be held accountable. Torre had the winning to fall back on for the past few years to keep the job, such job security wont exist for the new manager.

The Steinbrenners may pick Girardi simply cause he will be easier to fire then Mattingly in 3 years if they fail to win the World Series.

Ivytalk
October 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Is Mattingly too placid? The Yankees just had 12 years of placid, albeit quality placid. I'm guessing that the fiery Joey G gets the nod.

CollegeSportsInfo
October 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Any chance of the Yanks getting both Mattingly and Girardi on the staff? Probably a long shot, but that would be great.

I love Donny Baseball, but I think Girardi would do a better job.

I touched on this in the Torre thread. If the Yankees do go with Mattingly, I wouldn't rule out the organization asking Girardi to join as bench coach even if it's just for a year. He makes sense in that he will be back in the dugout and preparing for whatever job he is offered after next season...since it's unlikely he'd take over a team in mid-season. Add to the mix that the tema could hire both Mattingly and Girardi for less than the Torre+Mattingly combo.

It might not be a long shot of an idea since Girardi has always been happy with the Yankee organization and knew going into the interview that Mattingly has already been labeled the favorite.

JoltinJoe
October 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I dont see the Yankees making a serious run at the World Series for the next few years and the manager will be held accountable.

This team will be the best in the AL next season:

C-Posada; 1b-Phillips/Mentkiewicz; 2b-Cano; ss-Jeter; 3b-Rodriguez; lf-Damon; cf-Cabrera; rf-Matsui;

sp-Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy; Mussina

closer-Rivera

The only need is a couple of middle inning guys.

Remember, the Yankees won 94 games this year despite the incredible run of injuries they had.

The 2007 Yankees remind me a lot of the 1975 Yankees. Probably the best team in the league but they had an injury-plagued season which derailed the team. But then they made five post-season appearancesin the next six years.

TheValleyRaider
October 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
This team will be the best in the AL next season:

C-Posada; 1b-Phillips/Mentkiewicz; 2b-Cano; ss-Jeter; 3b-Rodriguez; lf-Damon; cf-Cabrera; rf-Matsui;

sp-Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy; Mussina

closer-Rivera

The only need is a couple of middle inning guys.

Remember, the Yankees won 94 games this year despite the incredible run of injuries they had.

The 2007 Yankees remind me a lot of the 1975 Yankees. Probably the best team in the league but they had an injury-plagued season which derailed the team. But then they made five post-season appearancesin the next six years.

Matsui in right? I'm pretty sure they're going to pick up Abreu's option for next year. And doesn't Godzilla hit better as a DH? xconfusedx

JoltinJoe
October 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Matsui in right? I'm pretty sure they're going to pick up Abreu's option for next year. And doesn't Godzilla hit better as a DH? xconfusedx

I'm not sure they pick up the Abreu option. In that case, don't you have to move Matsui to right? His arm's pretty average but Damon is not going to play right with his arm.

As the season progresses and the team is doing well, you may want to start to introduce Sardinha here and there in RF and DH Matsui. Damon looked fine in left this year. Sardinha looked great defensively in the OF when he played this year and with Jeter/Rodriguez in the IF, his future is plainly in the OF.

Reed Rothchild
October 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I think it will be Girardi and he will do a much better job with the pitchers than Torre did. But, they REALLY need someone else not named Brian Cashman to to find pitchers for them

Reed Rothchild
October 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Godzilla was playing on 1 knee all year. Guys with knees like that are disastrous to hold on to.

I'd say get rid of Abreu and Matsui.

appfan2008
October 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
i think mattinly will get the job... my 2cents

UNHWildCats
October 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Speculation around New York is that negotiations with Joe Girardi could begin as soon as this afternoon and an announcement could come as soon as Tuesday.

CollegeSportsInfo
October 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
And Mattingly supposedly won't be working for Girardi either.
:(

danefan
October 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
It would be very disapointing to lose Donny Baseball.

Seahawks Fan
October 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Local radio stations and newspapers are all saying it's Girardi.

UNHWildCats
October 29th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Girardi has been offered the job

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3085167

CollegeSportsInfo
October 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM
And like I posted, Mattingly is said to be leaving as well.

Sad that Yankees fans have lost both Torre and Mattingly in the same 2 weeks.

JoltinJoe
October 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Tough choice. I hate to see Mattingly get jilted.

But I knew as far back as 1996 that Joe Girardi would manage the Yankees some day.

As great as Jorge Posada has been, the Yankees were better with Girardi behind the plate. He understands baseball like few do.

UNHWildCats
October 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Tough choice. I hate to see Mattingly get jilted.

But I knew as far back as 1996 that Joe Girardi would manage the Yankees some day.

As great as Jorge Posada has been, the Yankees were better with Girardi behind the plate. He understands baseball like few do.

That was definatly an advantage for him. Mattingl;y had no Managing experience and while he has been a hitting coach for a few years and Girardi only managed for 1 year, he has all that experience with pitchers that Mattingly doesnt, and with the young pitching staff NY will hjave next year, that will be important.

I wonder if Mattingly will be offered a front office job, because if he leaves the orginization all together more outcry from the fans will follow.

He could always go bench coach for Torre in Los Angelas.

UNHWildCats
October 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM
do i win anything about being right that the Yanks would choose Girardi?

Im having a year... Beggining of April I picked the Sox and Rockies in the World Series and from about the day Girardi left Florida after 2006 I said he would be the Yanks manager in 2008... I think I need to buy a lottery ticket :p

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM
do i win anything about being right that the Yanks would choose Girardi?

Im having a year... Beggining of April I picked the Sox and Rockies in the World Series and from about the day Girardi left Florida after 2006 I said he would be the Yanks manager in 2008... I think I need to buy a lottery ticket :p

Right, UNHWC... you're a friggin' Nostradamus!:pxrolleyesx xcoolx