PDA

View Full Version : Week 9 SOUTHLAND Conference Pick ‘em

McCowboys
October 24th, 2022, 08:06 AM
Week 9 SOUTHLAND Conference Pick ‘em
No awards or prizes. Keep track of your own record during the season. When all is said and done, we will recognize the winner or winners. I hope to have a poll, but if not, just copy and paste and bold your selections.

Seven SLC teams are in action in week #9, three are conference matchups. The Demons take a break. HCU hosts OVC UT Martin.
The most interesting matchup is in Commerce, Texas, where the Lions will host the UIW Cardinals. A win would put Commerce firmly in the driver’s seat and give the Cardinals two losses in conference. A win by the Cardinals would keep the idle Demons atop the SLC standings, and cause a logjam for second place with one-loss conference teams, depending on the outcomes of the other contests.
Southeastern Louisiana made a big statement with its decisive victory over Jacksonville State Saturday. That is not good news for struggling McNeese.
Here are the matchups for this week.

UT Martin at HCU 10/29/2022 2:00 PM
UIW at Texas A&M University - Commerce 10/29/2022 2:00 PM
Nicholls at Lamar 10/29/2022 3:00 PM
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese 10/29/2022 7:00 PM

McNeese72
October 24th, 2022, 10:03 AM
Dammit! I accidentally hit McNeese on the poll when I meant SLU. For the record, I vote for SLU in this poll not McNeese.

Doc

Edit: There is now way that I would be picking McNeese over SLU right now. :(

McCowboys
October 24th, 2022, 05:09 PM
Hey, Commerce Lion fans, you received votes (one of them was mine) in this week's AGS poll: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?315754-AGS-Poll-Results-2022-SEASON-Wk-8

If you want to vote on the poll in this thread, just scroll up. Check the four boxes of the ones you choose to win, and then click "vote now."

WE_ARE_LIONS
October 24th, 2022, 06:40 PM
Hey, Commerce Lion fans, you received votes (one of them was mine) in this week's AGS poll: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?315754-AGS-Poll-Results-2022-SEASON-Wk-8

If you want to vote on the poll in this thread, just scroll up. Check the four boxes of the ones you choose to win, and then click "vote now."

We appreciate the love. Our boys get a chance to put the entire conference on notice this week, and it’s exciting as a fan to see our school in that position. A win this week puts us in the rankings to stay.

Puddin Tane
October 24th, 2022, 11:39 PM
To whomever picked Lamar…just a heads up

we are badddddddddd. Worst college team I’ve ever seen. Nichols wins by 3 tds.

McCowboys
October 25th, 2022, 05:43 AM
We appreciate the love. Our boys get a chance to put the entire conference on notice this week, and it’s exciting as a fan to see our school in that position. A win this week puts us in the rankings to stay.

Visit other threads and make your case. I would say most people on here are knowledgeable about things, but some may not know much about your Lions.

McCowboys
October 25th, 2022, 06:02 AM

I hear you, but Nicholls isn't so hot either. They barely beat McNeese in Thibodaux.

WE_ARE_LIONS
October 27th, 2022, 12:47 PM
I read through the conference tie breaker rules, and, IF UIW can somehow defeat Commerce the tiebreaker is extremely messy. And yes, I realize that a UIW win is highly unlikely ;-)

Assuming SLU and UIW win out, and Commerce wins every conference game except UIW, then there is a 3-way tie that cannot be decided by head-to-head. Instead, they compare schedules. Here are the differences:

TAMUC plays HCU and Nicholls in Conference
SLU plays Lamar and Nicholls in conference
UIW plays Lamar and HCU in conference
*NOTE* UIW beat Nicholls, but it won't matter for a tiebreaker since it was technically a non-conference game. That becomes EXTREMELY important.

If I understood the tiebreaker correctly, then the team with the best win moves on unless something happens to drop the tiebreaker back down to two teams where head-to-head can be the decider. In that case, current standings suggest Nicholls would be the best team listed. At that point, TAMUC and SLU are compared head-to-head, and TAMUC wins the conference. Then SLU and UIW are compared head-to-head, so SLU wins the AQ. All because UIW played the same team, but not as a conference matchup. For UIW to win the tiebreaker they need to beat Commerce and have HCU surpass Nicholls.

So, question for those who have been around FCS a long time - How often does a team get seeded if they finish 3rd in conference? The city of Commerce, current students and alums would love to know that we messed this thing up. If the NCAA won't invite us to their party, then as least we can mess up the invitations.

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2022, 01:33 PM
I read through the conference tie breaker rules, and, IF UIW can somehow defeat Commerce the tiebreaker is extremely messy. And yes, I realize that a UIW win is highly unlikely ;-)

Assuming SLU and UIW win out, and Commerce wins every conference game except UIW, then there is a 3-way tie that cannot be decided by head-to-head. Instead, they compare schedules. Here are the differences:

*NOTE* UIW beat Nicholls, but it won't matter for a tiebreaker since it was technically a non-conference game. That becomes EXTREMELY important.

If I understood the tiebreaker correctly, then the team with the best win moves on unless something happens to drop the tiebreaker back down to two teams where head-to-head can be the decider. In that case, current standings suggest Nicholls would be the best team listed. At that point, TAMUC and SLU are compared head-to-head, and TAMUC wins the conference. Then SLU and UIW are compared head-to-head, so SLU wins the AQ. All because UIW played the same team, but not as a conference matchup. For UIW to win the tiebreaker they need to beat Commerce and have HCU surpass Nicholls.

So, question for those who have been around FCS a long time - How often does a team get seeded if they finish 3rd in conference? The city of Commerce, current students and alums would love to know that we messed this thing up. If the NCAA won't invite us to their party, then as least we can mess up the invitations.

You can tell you are new to fcs! When a playoff spot is in doubt, always assume that the spot will go to M fricking VFC team. You will usually be correct.

Daytripper
October 27th, 2022, 01:33 PM
To whomever picked Lamar…just a heads up

we are badddddddddd. Worst college team I’ve ever seen. Nichols wins by 3 tds.

It looks like if you don't beat Nicholls that this will be a winless season. Surely, Morgan's seat is hot?

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2022, 01:50 PM
Im just a lowly holder of 20 yd line tix, but I would think so, especially after the pvamu game. I believe the crowd woulda canned him at halftime.

i think the powers that be are going to give him another year to sing his “we are so young” song.

lionsrking2
October 27th, 2022, 02:45 PM

Still some season to play out, and anything could still happen, but playing along with the hypothetical, there has been no clear clarification from the SLC as it relates to breaking a three-way tie involving a team ineligible for the playoffs. While Commerce is eligible to win the SLC championship, they are not eligible to receive the autobid. As the rules read, the logical assumption would be to eliminate Commerce from the autobid discussion. The tiebreaker rules are written to determine the autobid—not the champion—as outlined in the opening paragraph (7.03.02) of the tiebreaker rules. In the case of a three-way tie, all three are considered co-champs, but the autobid would go to the winner of the tiebreaker. If Commerce were eligible, a three-way tie between SLU, UIW and Commerce would go to UIW because they would likely be the highest rated team using the SRS formula. But Commerce is not eligible so it's logical to assume they would be eliminated from the tiebreaker discussion, leaving SLU and UIW. SLU would get the autobid due to their head-to-head win.

But again, there are rivalry games still to be played and nothing can be assumed. There are other three and four way tie scenarios that are still possible involving two-loss teams but my head hurts just thinking about it.

7.03.02 Tie-Breaking Procedures. The following procedures shall be utilized to determine the automatic bid recipient when NCAA Championship-eligible teams are tied for the top position.

7.03.02.01 Tie Between Two Teams.
(a) Results of head-to-head (won-lost percentage) competition during the regular season.
(b) If the two (2) tied teams split their games during the regular season, the NCAA automatic qualifier shall be determined by a comparison of each tied team’s record vs. the team(s) occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings that they both played the same number of times, and then continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage. When arriving at another group of tied teams that both played the same number of times, use each tied team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
(c) Should the above tiebreaking procedures not resolve the tie(s) and determine the automatic bid, the Conference shall utilize the computerized ranking of the NCAA Simple Ratings System (SRS) following the completion of the Conference schedule to designate the Conference’s highest-rated team and automatic bid recipient. [5/14]
(d) Drawing conducted by the Commissioner or designee following the completion of regular-season play.

7.03.02.02 Tie Between Three or More Teams.
(a) Results of head-to-head (won-lost percentage) competition during the regular season among the tied teams, if the tied teams played each other the same number of times.
(b) If more than two teams are still tied, each of the tied team’s records (won-lost percentage) vs. the team(s) occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings they all played the same number of times shall be compared, and then continuing down through the standings, eliminating tied teams with inferior records until one team gains an advantage. When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record (won-lost percentage) against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams. After one team has an advantage and is seeded, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tie-breaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure.
(d) When the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedures will be applied.
(e) Should the above tiebreaking procedures not resolve the tie(s) and determine the automatic bid, the Conference shall utilize the computerized ranking of the NCAA Simple Ratings System (SRS) following the completion of the Conference schedule to designate the Conference’s highest-rated team and automatic bid recipient. [5/14]
(f) Drawing conducted by the Commissioner or designee following the completion of regular-season play.

7.03.02.03 Computer Rankings. Should the above tiebreaking procedures not resolve the tie(s) and determine the automatic bid, the Conference shall utilize the final computerized ranking of the NCAA Simple Ratings System (SRS) to designate the Conference’s highest-rated team and automatic bid recipient. [5/14]

7.03.02.05 Tie-Breaker Drawing. If a tie remains after the procedures outlined in 7.03.02, a drawing shall be conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

Panther88
October 27th, 2022, 04:36 PM
Im just a lowly holder of 20 yd line tix, but I would think so, especially after the pvamu game. I believe the crowd woulda canned him at halftime.

i think the powers that be are going to give him another year to sing his “we are so young” song.

Not to add more fuel to the fire but we had 10 starters (jrs/srs) who were suspended for that specific game. LU was playing against a bevy of true frosh and a soph here or there.

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2022, 08:18 PM
Not to add more fuel to the fire but we had 10 starters (jrs/srs) who were suspended for that specific game. LU was playing against a bevy of true frosh and a soph here or there.

No, “the we are young excuse” is taken

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2022, 08:26 PM
Im gonna go with “we are young and have very little d1 talent”?
or
”we are young and just plain SUCK”?
or
”we just plain SUCK”?
or
“WE SUCKKKKKKKKKK”

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2022, 08:27 PM
Whens baseball season?

hey! Our girls won soccer championship!

McCowboys
October 28th, 2022, 05:41 AM
The UIW at TAMUC game is the biggie (read the above thread about championship and playoff possibilities).

McNeese hosts SLU for homecoming and the last few games between the two have been close losses for the Cowboys. Coach Goff says that overall he feels the SLU Lions are the most talented team in the SLC. A close loss by depth-depleted and spotty (and now injury related) play by the McNeese QB makes this a scary Halloween Homecoming for McNeese.

Nicholls certainly has more to play for than Lamar. Lamar could still pick up a win in Lake Charles in the final game of the regular season.

If you haven't voted in this week's poll, you have about 24 hours from now.

Looking forward to an exciting week of FCS football!

McCowboys
October 28th, 2022, 09:45 AM
or
or
”we just plain SUCK”?
or
“WE SUCKKKKKKKKKK”

Vegas has Nicholls favored by only 4 points. They have SLU favored over McNeese by 18 1/2. UIW is favored over TAMUC by 15.

McNeese72
October 28th, 2022, 05:51 PM
or
or
”we just plain SUCK”?
or
“WE SUCKKKKKKKKKK”

The “WE SUCKKKKKKKKKK” one has already been claimed by McNeese. Hopefully, it is just for this year.

Doc

Puddin Tane
October 28th, 2022, 06:11 PM
The “WE SUCKKKKKKKKKK” one has already been claimed by McNeese. Hopefully, it is just for this year.

Doc

ha! Wait till ye olde Battle of the Border! We shall reclaim our slogan

McCowboys
October 28th, 2022, 06:19 PM

The Battle for the Suckiest. Sad.

Puddin Tane
October 28th, 2022, 08:07 PM
Vegas has Nicholls favored by only 4 points. They have SLU favored over McNeese by 18 1/2. UIW is favored over TAMUC by 15.

i would be tempted to bet my house…..truck…first born…

WE_ARE_LIONS
October 29th, 2022, 02:33 PM
The offensive showdown in Commerce, TX is tied at 0 to end the 1st quarter.

Lions are in FG range thanks to multiple drive extending UIW penalties.

McCowboys
October 30th, 2022, 05:53 AM
i would be tempted to bet my house…..truck…first born…

You should have! Way to go Cards! I'm glad y'all came back to the SLC.

P.S. I hate Lamar!

P.P.S. McNeese is now the suckiest.

McCowboys
October 30th, 2022, 06:43 PM
Puddin Tane, where are you? Did you have a heart attack from the shock of a LU win???

McNeese72
October 30th, 2022, 11:02 PM

You guys done screwed that up by beating Nicholls. ;)

Doc

McNeese72
October 30th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Went 3-1 this week. Now I am 34-22 for the season

Doc