PDA

View Full Version : Bill Leckonby, former Lehigh coach, passes away

The Historian
October 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
Former Lehigh Athletic Director and head football coach William B. “Bill” Leckonby passed away on Monday October 22 at the age of 90. Leckonby served as Lehigh’s head football coach from 1946-61 and remains the program’s all-time winningest coach with 85 victories. “Leck” also led the Brown and White to a pair of Lambert Cup Trophies, including the first-ever in 1957. Following his time as head coach, Leckonby served as Athletic Director from 1962-84.

ngineer
October 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Former Lehigh Athletic Director and head football coach William B. “Bill” Leckonby passed away on Monday October 22 at the age of 90. Leckonby served as Lehigh’s head football coach from 1946-61 and remains the program’s all-time winningest coach with 85 victories. “Leck” also led the Brown and White to a pair of Lambert Cup Trophies, including the first-ever in 1957. Following his time as head coach, Leckonby served as Athletic Director from 1962-84.

Sorry to hear it. "Leck" was the AD when I played at Lehigh and was a legend. Coached the ONLY undefeated team in Lehigh history-1950--going 9-0 and turned down an invite to the Tangerine Bowl, I'm told. Yes, Lehigh had a few undefeated regular season teams, but they ended up losing in the playoffs. He played a short while for one of the old New York pro teams, too, in the 1940's. Back in August he was involved in a car accident and his health deteriorated from there. He was unable to attend the 1957 reunion of his first Lamber Cup Champions back in September. He will be missed.

ngineer
October 22nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Nice article on "Leck" up on the Lehigh website:www.lehighsports.com

He played three years for the old Brooklyn Dodgers of the NFL as a tailback in the old single wing under Jock Sutherland. Also the youngest Lehigh HC ever--even beating out Lembo who many thought was too young at the time.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Added my own take on a Lehigh coaching legend.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

ngineer
October 25th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Added my own take on a Lehigh coaching legend.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Excellent insight into the visionary the Leck was regarding what has become the Patriot League as well as what became I-AA..xthumbsupx

carney2
October 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM
"Leck" saved the best for last. His final game, a 17-14 win over Lafayette, was one of the greatest college football games I ever saw. It was one of the few times that I recall the lunacy in the stands that was prevalent in those days was very low key. The game was so good that even the drunks couldn't be distracted from it.

Go...gate
October 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Well written article about Bill Leckonby, LFN!

Mr. Leckonby also knew how to hire people who could coach and mold young men. He hired and stuck by Fred Dunlap, Colgate '50, one of the biggest coaching figures in the history of both Lehigh and Colgate Football, as well as John Whitehead. In addition, he game Pete Carril his first college head coaching job.

May he rest in peace.

lizrdgizrd
October 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
RIP Bill Leckonby. xprayx

ngineer
October 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Well written article about Bill Leckonby, LFN!

Mr. Leckonby also knew how to hire people who could coach and mold young men. He hired and stuck by Fred Dunlap, Colgate '50, one of the biggest coaching figures in the history of both Lehigh and Colgate Football, as well as John Whitehead. In addition, he game Pete Carril his first college head coaching job.

May he rest in peace.

At "Leck's" funeral service today, it was mentioned that he was very loyal to a fault. Upon his resignation as HC to become AD he hired his longtime friend and assistant Mike Cooley to be the new HC, despite expressing reservations over his ability to handle the job, but believing that Cooley, because of his loyalty to him over the many years, deserved the shot. Cooley promptly took the year's prior Lambert Cup Champions and went 5-21-1, over the next three years. The program was in tatters and Leck had to change horses--which even Cooley agreed. They remained close friends thereafter. Leck hired the young Fred Dunlap to get things turned around, and it took Fred a little while to do so (5-32 over the next four years), but by 1969, Lehigh was competitive again, going 4-5-1. The follow year, Lehigh went 4-6, but with some very close losses AND a huge upset of then #1 small college ranked Delaware in Taylor Stadium--still one of the greatest upsets of all-time in Lehigh lore. Fred then took Lehigh into the present day mindset of thinking of playoffs and when his alma mater called in 1976, Leckonby persuaded President Lewis of Lehigh to hire Whitehead over another assistant that Lewis was leaning toward as he was viewed as being 'smoother' in schmoozing alumni, etc. But Leck saw the virtues that Whitehead had in building men from boys as a fellow Navy man, and the rest is history with Lehigh winning it's NCAA Championship in 1977.xnodx