PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh-7, Villanova-5 in Lacrosse

ngineer
April 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM
The Mountain Hawks stunned nationally ranked Villanova in lacrosse last night at Ulrich Stadium. Lehigh has been making steady improvement over the last two years, previously knocking off Penn (then in the top 20), and giving nationally ranked Navy, Army and Bucknell competitive games. With a win on Saturday night against blood-rival Lafayette, they will make the PL championship tourney.

colgate13
April 22nd, 2005, 07:19 AM
Congrats! PL lax as a whole is getting better...

Anovafan
April 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Congrats on a nice win. I didn't even realize Nova was ranked. Lax is a great sport, and a fickle one sometimes. The better team doesn't always win, often the one with the better goalie does.

PAllen
April 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
The better team doesn't always win, often the one with the better goalie does.

A great goalie can certainly keep an otherwise inferior team in the game, but I'll take an excellent face-off middy any day of the week. There's nothing like getting the ball back after every score.

saint0917
April 22nd, 2005, 01:29 PM
Congrats Lehigh. Umass has a big game this weekend. #9 Umass Plays #3 Georgetown.

#3 Georgetwon at #9 Umass (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/041905aag.html)

LetsGoNova
April 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Villanova's men's lacrosse team has come on strong in the last few years, after many years foundering at the bottom of the CAA. It never made sense to me, as our location and student body make-up would seem to be ideal for being good in lacrosse, golf, tennis, etc. We finally started dedicating some resources to lax, and it has paid off.

ngineer
April 22nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
Check out this week's edition of Sports Illustrated. Big feature on the LAX being the fastest growing sport in America. It's a great sport. I just wish my HS had it when I was young. When I got to Lehigh a bunch of football players played lax in the spring, but they had come from private schools which had always played. Times have changed.
Saturday night it's Lafayette at Lehigh. A Lehigh win puts them in the PL playoffs. Currently, Navy, Bucknell and Army all in the top 20.

igo4uni
April 22nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Check out this week's edition of Sports Illustrated. Big feature on the LAX being the fastest growing sport in America. It's a great sport. I just wish my HS had it when I was young. When I got to Lehigh a bunch of football players played lax in the spring, but they had come from private schools which had always played. Times have changed.
Saturday night it's Lafayette at Lehigh. A Lehigh win puts them in the PL playoffs. Currently, Navy, Bucknell and Army all in the top 20.

I saw that SI article. Very interesting. LAX is indeed growing, but they get the big percentage increases because of the relatively low number of schools participating. Not saying anything bad about LAX, but it's easier to grow (in terms of percentage) when few schools are offering it.

peace

igo4uni

umassfan
April 23rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Congrats Lehigh. Umass has a big game this weekend. #9 Umass Plays #3 Georgetown.

#3 Georgetwon at #9 Umass (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/041905aag.html)

UMass pulled the upset 13-12 and now wins the AUTO bid if they beat Rutgers in a couple weeks.

ngineer
April 23rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
UMass pulled the upset 13-12 and now wins the AUTO bid if they beat Rutgers in a couple weeks.
Wow--Nice job. Can't hurt to dream of Philadelphia...