PDA

View Full Version : Playing GM

UNHWildCats
October 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
What would you do this offseason to better your favorite team if you were its General Manager?

andy7171
October 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Freeze all financial assets of the New York Yankee and Boston Red Sox organizations.

UNHWildCats
October 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Boston Red Sox

1. Don't re-sign Curt Schilling. He's a Hall of Famer and has given the Red Sox some very good games, but he is no longer of value to the Boston Red Sox.

2. By letting Schilling go I can now fire Terry Francona. He was only hired to get Schilling to waive his no trade waiver in the 2003 offseason.

3. Swoop in and hire Joe Girardi as my new manager.

4. Trade Coco Crisp... at this point I would take a roll of pennies for him. Aside from his defense he's a useless underperforming center fielder.

5. Make it known to the Sox Faithful. Jacoby Ellsbury will be batting leadoff next season.

6. Sign Alex Rodriguez.

7. Trade Julio Lugo (if I can) It will require eating a chunk of the salary, but Omar Minaya loves him, sure something can be worked out.

8. Trade Manny Ramirez to the Angels for Orlando Cabrera and a couple minor leaguers. The Red Sox never should have let Cabrera leave after 2004.

9. Personally drive Eric Gagne to the bus station and making sure he leaves.

10. Sign Brad Wilkerson to play left field.

11. Re-sign Matt Clement to an incetive based contract.

Go into 2008 with this lineup

CF Jacoby Ellsbury
2B Dustin Pedroia
DH David Ortiz
3B Alex Rodriguez
LF Brad Wilkerson
1B Kevin Youkilis
RF JD Drew
SS Orlando Cabrera
C Jason Varitek

And this rotation

Josh Beckett
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Clay Buchholz
Tim Wakefield
Jon Lester

andy7171
October 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
#3 would be a great move. I'm not sure he'd go though.

NE MT GRIZZ
October 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
St. Louis Cardinals

1. Find a power hitting SS and move Eckstien to 2B
2. Find a #1 starting pitcher- Carpenter is on the shelf until the end of 08

3. One more big bat in the outfield. The OF crew will be good in a couple years, but we need a proven guy right now.

The brass have committed another $15 million to the payroll so hopefully a couple of these come true.

UNHWildCats
October 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
if NY dont hire him hes not gonna sit waiting another year.

With the Red Sox being relatively young if they traded Manny and let Schilling go, hes the type of Manager you want, one who will let the players know whos in charge, plus in Boston its like having a second pitching coach with Varitek there and a second bench coach with Alex Cora...

UNHWildCats
October 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
St. Louis Cardinals

1. Find a power hitting SS and move Eckstien to 2B
2. Find a #1 starting pitcher- Carpenter is on the shelf until the end of 08

3. One more big bat in the outfield. The OF crew will be good in a couple years, but we need a proven guy right now.

The brass have committed another $15 million to the payroll so hopefully a couple of these come true.

They re-signed Joel Piniero xlolx xlolx

bandl
October 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Boston Red Sox

1. Don't re-sign Curt Schilling. He's a Hall of Famer and has given the Red Sox some very good games, but he is no longer of value to the Boston Red Sox.

2. By letting Schilling go I can now fire Terry Francona. He was only hired to get Schilling to waive his no trade waiver in the 2003 offseason.

4. Trade Coco Crisp... at this point I would take a roll of pennies for him. Aside from his defense he's a useless underperforming center fielder.

5. Make it known to the Sox Faithful. Jacoby Ellsbury will be batting leadoff next season.

6. Sign Alex Rodriguez.

7. Trade Julio Lugo (if I can) It will require eating a chunk of the salary, but Omar Minaya loves him, sure something can be worked out.

8. Trade Manny Ramirez to the Angels for Orlando Cabrera and a couple minor leaguers. The Red Sox never should have let Cabrera leave after 2004.

CF Jacoby Ellsbury
2B Dustin Pedroia
DH David Ortiz
3B Alex Rodriguez
LF Brad Wilkerson
1B Kevin Youkilis
RF JD Drew
SS Orlando Cabrera
C Jason Varitek

And this rotation

Josh Beckett
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Clay Buchholz
Tim Wakefield
Jon Lester

Really? xconfusedx That's all you'd do?? xsmhx What a lazy conservative POS GM you'd be!!! xmadx xmadx

;)

NE MT GRIZZ
October 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
They re-signed Joel Piniero xlolx xlolx

I was actually happy with that. He'll be a good #4 or #5 guy to eat up some innings.
He'll do well if LaRussa and Duncan stay.

andy7171
October 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM
if NY dont hire him hes not gonna sit waiting another year.

With the Red Sox being relatively young if they traded Manny and let Schilling go, hes the type of Manager you want, one who will let the players know whos in charge, plus in Boston its like having a second pitching coach with Varitek there and a second bench coach with Alex Cora...

Well I hope it happens. I like Giardi. I would hate to have to consider him Yankee scum (again).

griz37
October 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
If I was the Michigan AD I would hire Les Miles to be the co-head coach of Michigan football until Lloyd Carr decides to retire, after Lloyd is gone, the job is his.

brownbear
October 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
If I was the Michigan AD I would hire Les Miles to be the co-head coach of Michigan football until Lloyd Carr decides to retire, after Lloyd is gone, the job is his.

Would Les Miles take the job of co-head coach. I know the Michigan coaching job is his dream job, but I think being a co-head coach would be a big step down from his current position.

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Boston Red Sox

6. Sign Alex Rodriguez.

CF Jacoby Ellsbury
2B Dustin Pedroia
DH David Ortiz
3B Alex Rodriguez
LF Brad Wilkerson
1B Kevin Youkilis
RF JD Drew
SS Orlando Cabrera
C Jason Varitek

And this rotation

Josh Beckett
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Clay Buchholz
Tim Wakefield
Jon Lester

Impressive list, but you negate every good move by doing #6. The guy is a cancer & has never won anywhere he's been.

UNHWildCats
October 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Impressive list, but you negate every good move by doing #6. The guy is a cancer & has never won anywhere he's been.

I'd settle for Atkins from Colorado. Though that might mean needing to hold onto Manny, unless they get another big bat.

AZGrizFan
October 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
AZ Diamondbacks:

1) Trade Chad "My Knee Hurts" Tracy to Boston for Coco Crisp and a roll of pennies
2) Throw in Connor "Frying Pan Hands" Jackson to make the deal equal
3) Give Tony Clark 500 AB's at first base
4) Show Livan Hernandez the door
5) Maybe include Carlos "I'm a .196 Hittin' Phenom'" Quentin in the Tracy/Jackson/Crisp deal
6) Get Micah Owings 250-300 AB's (75 as a pitcher, the other 200 as the backup first baseman to Tony Clark).
7) Send Chris Young to instructional winter league to learn how to hit something besides a fastball
8) Put Mark Reynolds in his suitcase to get him to learn how to stop swinging at fastballs at eye-level
9) Extend Orlando Hudson's deal
10) Trade Jose Valverde while his trade value is at it's highest level....he's got NOWHERE to go but down at this point.

There....that ought to keep me busy for a while.

After that fun and frivolity, I'd begin looking for some pitching help to follow Webb/Davis/Owings in the rotation....

citdog
October 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM
i'd be sure that there wasn't anyone around me who pretended to be my friend, and then behind my back reported me to the authorities when i made a minor lapse in judgement. that's what i'd do!

UNHWildCats
October 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
AZ Diamondbacks:

1) Trade Chad "My Knee Hurts" Tracy to Boston for Coco Crisp and a roll of pennies
2) Throw in Connor "Frying Pan Hands" Jackson to make the deal equal
3) Give Tony Clark 500 AB's at first base
4) Show Livan Hernandez the door
5) Maybe include Carlos "I'm a .196 Hittin' Phenom'" Quentin in the Tracy/Jackson/Crisp deal
6) Get Micah Owings 250-300 AB's (75 as a pitcher, the other 200 as the backup first baseman to Tony Clark).
7) Send Chris Young to instructional winter league to learn how to hit something besides a fastball
8) Put Mark Reynolds in his suitcase to get him to learn how to stop swinging at fastballs at eye-level
9) Extend Orlando Hudson's deal
10) Trade Jose Valverde while his trade value is at it's highest level....he's got NOWHERE to go but down at this point.

There....that ought to keep me busy for a while.

After that fun and frivolity, I'd begin looking for some pitching help to follow Webb/Davis/Owings in the rotation....

No you gotta give us the roll of pennies so we can have them in our fist when we punch coco as he's leaving :p

griz37
October 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Would Les Miles take the job of co-head coach. I know the Michigan coaching job is his dream job, but I think being a co-head coach would be a big step down from his current position.

With the money I am willing to throw at him he would be. xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
October 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM
6. Sign Alex Rodriguez.

Not if he agrees to an extension in NY first xnodx

mcveyrl
October 17th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Braves GM...

1. Pay the cleanest contract killer in the world to eliminate Scott Boras (surely you could get some kick-ins from other teams). Pin it on JoJo Reyes (that will be the most helpful he's been to the team all year).

2. Sign Mark Texiera (this has to happen AFTER Boras demise, otherwise you'll miss out on the savings!)

3. Using the money saved by the signing of Texiera in Boras' absence, find a good 4 or 5 starter and replenish the minor leagues to their pre-Texiera trade status.

That's what Michael Scott calls win-win-win

Go...gate
October 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM
New York Mets

1. Glavine is done. Do not re-sign him. Try to land Dontrelle Willis.

2. Fire Rickey Henderson as first-base coach.

3. Try to make a deal for a replacement for Carlos Delgado.

4. The bullpen needs to be revamped badly.

5. Get a bit younger.

6. Let LoDuca go and sign another capable catcher if one is available.

kardplayer
October 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM
New York Mets

1. Glavine is done. Do not re-sign him. Try to land Dontrelle Willis.

I think Glavine has a player's option - not sure its the Mets choice

kardplayer
October 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Yankees -

This isn't exactly in priority order, but this is what I'd be thinking about...

1. Keep Joe
2. Sign ARod to an extension
3. Trade ARod to Minnesota for Johann Santana - pay enough of ARod's salary to make this work for Minnesota
4. Resign Mo (I wanted to let him go, but his numbers are still too good - looks like he'll retire a Yankee)
5. Tell Joba to he's still got setup duties - only now he's going to pitch the 7th and 8th, ala Mo in 1996 (Mo had 107.2 IP in 61 relief appearances)
6. Sign Mike Lowell (he's a free agent, right?)
7. Resign Andy Pettitte
8. Sign Torii Hunter
9. Take a close look at Carlos Silva to see if he'd be a good #4 - same goes for Kyle Lohse
10. Resign Jorge
11. Find an everyday 1B
12. Resign Abreu too

2008 lineup
C - Jorge
1B - TBD (possibly move one of the OF's)
2B - Robby
3B - Mike Lowell
SS - DJ
OF - Hunter, Matsui, Damon, Abreu, Cabrera, Shelley Duncan

SP - Santana, Wang, Pettite, Hughes, Lohse/Silva
RP - Joba, a few others...
Closer - Mo

Payroll - about $300MM but who cares

kardplayer
October 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Oh yeah, I'd also figure out a way to not build the new Yankee Stadium...