PDA

View Full Version : Rumors Swirling in Big XII land

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Franchione may be out at Texas A&M today.

Callahan is basically a lame duck at Nebraska now, will finish out the year. How bout this for a possible replacement since Osborne will be making the call.....Turner Gill.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Hey, Turner Gill has perpetually moribound Buffalo at almost .500 and actually 3-1 in the MAC, so if he can win some games there that says something.

walliver
October 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I though the Big XII was going to kick our Colorado and Colorado State and add App State and Montana:)

brownbear
October 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I though the Big XII was going to kick our Colorado and Colorado State and add App State and Montana:)

Colorado State is in the Mountain West, not the Big XII

andy7171
October 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM

NIT PICKY!!! :D

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Mr. Correcty Correcting Man xcoolx :p xsmiley_wix :p

813Jag
October 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
If Baylor is still in then everyone else is safe. xlolx

GoGuins
October 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hey, Turner Gill has perpetually moribound Buffalo at almost .500 and actually 3-1 in the MAC, so if he can win some games there that says something.

Nice point, Nebraska needs to go back to their roots and get away from the west coast offense and back to an upgraded veer option like they used to run. They are not a finesse type team. The Blackshirts need revived bigtime also

Appaholic
October 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Can't happen.....Montana won't leave Wa/Griz to play away games....xrotatehx

putter
October 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Can't happen.....Montana won't leave Wa/Griz to play away games....xrotatehx

:pumpuke:
xblahblahx xblahblahx xlolx

GannonFan
October 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Nice point, Nebraska needs to go back to their roots and get away from the west coast offense and back to an upgraded veer option like they used to run. They are not a finesse type team. The Blackshirts need revived bigtime also

To be honest, I have no idea what Gill runs at Buffalo - does he indeed run a veer option?

Marcus Garvey
October 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM
What about somebody from WVU's staff for the Nebraska job, including maybe even Rich Rodriguez (though he'd be an idiot to leave his alma mater for the Nebraska gig)?
That offense they run uses the type of players that Osborne and Solich had.

bkrownd
October 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM
You hire the coaches for their coaching, not for their offensive scheme. Doesn't matter what offense/defense they use, as long as it's staffed and executed well.

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
What about somebody from WVU's staff for the Nebraska job, including maybe even Rich Rodriguez (though he'd be an idiot to leave his alma mater for the Nebraska gig)?
That offense they run uses the type of players that Osborne and Solich had.

He already turned down Alabama, doubt he would go to Nebraska.

Casey_Orourke
October 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
If Baylor is still in then everyone else is safe. xlolx

I happen to work with a family member of Baylor's OC. That person says that after every loss he is afraid he might be fired. So far he is still there, but now Baylor is meeting ite toughest compitition.

813Jag
October 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I happen to work with a family member of Baylor's OC. That person says that after every loss he is afraid he might be fired. So far he is still there, but now Baylor is meeting ite toughest compitition.
I have a soft spot in my heart for Baylor, that was my first choice for college. Until the Branch Davidians.............. xnonono2x

Gil Dobie
October 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Just so the Nebraska admin doesn't look north for a coach.
Former Nebraska DC and player, Craig Bohl is fine at NDSU.

bkrownd
October 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Just so the Nebraska admin doesn't look north for a coach.
Former Nebraska DC and player, Craig Bohl is fine at NDSU.

Since Bohl was widely blamed for the decline of Solich's program, it would be an unlikely choice.

OB55
October 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Word around here is Wyoming Coach Joe Glenn is at the top of Osborne's list for Nebraska Head Coach no later than end of this season. xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
October 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Since Bohl was widely blamed for the decline of Solich's program, it would be an unlikely choice.

They had to fire someone, so they fired a couple assistants.
Solich followed the next year after a 9 win season. xrolleyesx

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Franchione may be out at Texas A&M today.

Callahan is basically a lame duck at Nebraska now, will finish out the year. How bout this for a possible replacement since Osborne will be making the call.....Turner Gill.

If I were a Nebraska fan I'd want Paul Johnson.

brownbear
October 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Has Paul Johnson been offered jobs by BCS schools before?

Marcus Garvey
October 18th, 2007, 06:56 PM

My opinion of Husker fans declined considerably after Solich's firing. They were the only people who thought it was the right call. To top that off, when he was arrested for DUI a couple of years ago, a couple of Nebraska grads I worked with laughed and thought that was great!!!!

As far as I'm concerned, Nebraska deserves a *****ty team.

Eyes of Old Main
October 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Maybe Nebraska could hire Brian Van Gorder. xnodx

He really knows how to turn a program around. xrotatehx

bkrownd
October 19th, 2007, 12:41 AM

Bohl wasn't a token firing - he was the foremost to go, and everyone knew it was coming after the huge defensive collapses of 2001 and 2002. He was considered to be a talented guy that just wasn't able make his defensive system work.

Gil Dobie
October 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Bohl wasn't a token firing - he was the foremost to go, and everyone knew it was coming after the huge defensive collapses of 2001 and 2002. He was considered to be a talented guy that just wasn't able make his defensive system work.

As you can see by this years team, Nebraska hasn't been getting the recruits it once was. Sure a few here and there, but not the depth due to NCAA rules changes. Even the great instate kids get recruited heavy by other Big 12 schools, and they get them sometimes.

bkrownd
October 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
As you can see by this years team, Nebraska hasn't been getting the recruits it once was.

You're right, but not in the way I think you mean. Failure to recruit "blue-chip" players was one of the big knocks on Solich's program. (Osborne, too) Recruiting lots of "blue-chip" players every year is the one thing Callahan has easily accomplished. Nebraska has stockpiles of blue chippers now, and the walk-on program was gutted. (It wasn't quite what it once was back when you could have 175 players on the team, though)

I don't understand it, but some people are rabid about recruiting above all else. My dad enjoys watching recruiting far more than the actual games. Those kind of people danced in the streets when Solich was fired. However, recruiting doesn't automatically win games. *cough*Notre Dame*cough*

Personally I liked the identity of the home-grown hard-working teams of old. Nebraska was at their best when the fullback was a key game-breaking player and the offensive linemen were stars. (Ironically, Solich was a fullback, but the fullback position was de-emphasized under his tenure) Callahan says he wants players who aspire to be in the NFL. I think most Nebraskans want players who aspire to be Cornhuskers. Playing at Memorial Stadium should be THE highlight of your life. When I lived in Nebraska playing in the Orange Bowl was what every little boy dreamed of. (before the BCS ruined the New Year's Day bowls)

appfan2008
October 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
recruiting is the most important thing at a major school like that and they used to get anyone they wanted but not anymore and that is killing them... if they can start keeping all the stars from their own state then they can go back to their dominance... if i am osborne i go after a star recruiter

bkrownd
October 20th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Wow...wow...OMG...I just read something I can hardly believe. Apparently Nebraska's defense has had most of its practices without full pads - in shorts - pretty much non contact! What the hell are these coaches thinking? Did they hire basketball coaches or something? No wonder they're getting rolled over on game day! Holy sheeeit what a nightmare! The defensive staff will be on the street two days after Thanksgiving - that much we already know.

UCAMonkey
October 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM
What about former NFL star Lawrence Phillips? Osborne has always had a soft spot for him? xwhistlex

Seriously there is also a great coach over at NW Missouri St. that knows his stuff. He already recruits that region. He has been extremely successful at every level and is always in the hunt for a national championship. He also runs a very clean program.

http://www.nwmissouri.edu/sports/football/coachingstaff.htm

Mel Tjeerdsma

Bearcats ended the 2006 season at 14-1 overall and its second straight National Championship appearance. Since 1994, the Northwest Missouri State University football program has evolved from a winless team to a national powerhouse, winning NCAA Division II National Championships in both 1998 and 1999. Much of the credit for this turnaround belongs to Bearcat head coach Mel Tjeerdsma.

Tjeerdsma guided Northwest to back-to-back NCAA Division II National Championships in 1998 and 1999. The Bearcats have also won five straight MIAA Championships. Tjeerdsma has been named MIAA Coach of the Year in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000. and was named American Football Coaches Association National Coach of the Year for both 1998 and 1999.

Prior to coaching at Northwest, Tjeerdsma was the head coach at Austin College in Sherman, Texas from 1984 through 1993. He compiled a 60-38-4 record while at Austin College and was the school's winningest coach. Tjeerdsma guided Austin College to three Texas Intercollegiate Athletic Association Championships and made two trips to the NAIA Division II Playoffs.

He was selected TIAA Coach of the Year three times and 16 first- and second-team All-America selections as well as 11 Academic All-America picks.

Before his time at Austin College, Tjeerdsma was the offensive coordinator at Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa for eight years. He was also the head track and field coach at Northwestern. The Red Raiders earned four trips to the NAIA Division II Playoffs while Tjeerdsma was there, including a national championship in 1983. His offense twice led the nation in total offense and scoring.

His track and field teams won three Tri-State Conference titles and five consecutive NAIA District 15 indoor championships.

He also served as head football coach at Denison (Iowa) High School, where he guided his team to a 9-0 record in 1975 and a berth in the state playoffs. He earned Northwest Iowa Football Coach of the Year honors in 1972 and was the Northwest Iowa Track and Field Coach of the Year in 1973, 1974 and 1975.

Tjeerdsma earned his bachelor's degree in physical education from Southern State of Texas in 1967 and his master's degree in physical education at Northwest Missouri State in 1977.

Tjeerdsma, his wife Carol reside in Maryville. They have three grown children.

bkrownd
October 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
lights out in lincoln.....

bkrownd
October 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
dennis franchione gotta be giddy about his luck in getting to visit lincoln this week

th0m
October 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Tjeerdsma, now there's a good Dutch (Frisian really) last name if I ever saw one.