PDA

View Full Version : Team Name List Changes for 2022 FCS

ursus arctos horribilis
July 9th, 2022, 07:45 PM
This thread only concerns FCS conferences. It is not about the AGS Poll. I will create another soon for that purpose.

lately I have been running a community exercise that needs to be done yearly at this point but it serves to help me straighten out some clerical work around here and it also gets us working together in regards to some FCS stuff for the season. So, here is the list from last season of teams in the FCS Conferences. If you could help out by doing something like this for me:

Sam Houston Bearkats -moved to FBS and no longer in the WAC
Murray State Racers-move from OVC to MVFC in July 2022.

*We are only concerned with the upcoming 2022 season for these changes btw.

ASUN
Central Arkansas Bears
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
Jacksonville State Gamecocks
Kennesaw State Owls
North Alabama Lions

Big Sky
Cal Poly Mustangs
Eastern Washington Eagles
Idaho State Bengals
Idaho Vandals
Montana Grizzlies
Montana State Bobcats
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
Northern Colorado Bears
Portland State Vikings
Sac State Hornets
Southern Utah Thunderbirds
UC Davis Aggies
Weber State Wildcats

Big South
Campbell Fighting Camels
Charleston Southern Buccaneers
Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
Hampton Pirates
Monmouth Hawks
North Carolina A&T Aggies
Robert Morris Colonials

CAA
Albany Great Danes
Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
Elon Phoenix
James Madison Dukes
Maine Black Bears
New Hampshire Wildcats
Rhode Island Rams
Richmond Spiders
Stony Brook Seawolves
Towson Tigers
Villanova Wildcats
William & Mary Tribe

Ivy League
Brown Bears
Columbia Lions
Cornell Big Red
Dartmouth Big Green
Harvard Crimson
Pennsylvania Quakers
Princeton Tigers
Yale Bulldogs

MEAC
Delaware State Hornets
Howard Bison
Morgan State Bears
Norfolk State Spartans
North Carolina Central Eagles
South Carolina State Bulldogs

MVFC
Illinois State Redbirds
Indiana State Sycamores
Missouri State Bears
North Dakota Fighting Hawks
North Dakota State Bison
Northern Iowa Panthers
South Dakota Coyotes
South Dakota State Jackrabbits
Southern Illinois Salukis
Western Illinois Leathernecks
Youngstown State Penguins

NEC
Bryant Bulldogs
Central Connecticut Blue Devils
Duquesne Dukes
Long Island University Sharks
Merrimack Warriors
Sacred Heart Pioneers
St. Francis Red Flash
Wagner Seahawks

OVC
Austin Peay Governors
Eastern Illinois Panthers
Murray State Racers
Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
Tennessee State Tigers
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks

Patriot League
Bucknell Bison
Colgate Raiders
Fordham Rams
Georgetown Hoyas
Holy Cross Crusaders
Lafayette Leopards
Lehigh Mountain Hawks

Pioneer League
Butler Bulldogs
Davidson Wildcats
Dayton Flyers
Drake Bulldogs
Marist Red Foxes
Morehead State Eagles
Presbyterian Blue Hose
San Diego Toreros
St. Thomas Tommies
Stetson Hatters
Valparaiso Beacons

SoCon
Chattanooga Mocs
East Tennessee State Buccaneers
Furman Paladins
Mercer Bears
Samford Bulldogs
The Citadel Bulldogs
Virginia Military Institute Keydets
Western Carolina Catamounts
Wofford Terriers

Southland
Houston Baptist Huskies
Incarnate Word Cardinals
McNeese Cowboys
Nicholls Colonels
Northwestern State Demons
Southeastern Louisiana Lions

SWAC
Alabama A&M Bulldogs
Alabama State Hornets
Alcorn State Braves
Arkansas Pine Bluff Golden Lions
Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
Florida A&M Rattlers
Grambling State Tigers
Jackson State Tigers
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils
Prairie View A&M Panthers
Southern Jaguars
Texas Southern Tigers

WAC
Abilene Christian Wildcats
Dixie State Trailblazers
Lamar Cardinals
Sam Houston Bearkats
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
Tarleton Texans

Independent

UAalum72
July 9th, 2022, 09:06 PM
Dixie State changed their name to Utah Tech University (still Trailblazers) as of July 1

James Madison is now FBS in the Sun Belt, not the CAA

Monmouth and Hampton moved from the Big South to the CAA

ElCid
July 9th, 2022, 09:30 PM
I'll use this to update the map as well. Already done most of them, but doesn't hurt to double check.

atthewbon
July 10th, 2022, 03:06 PM
I believe there are three new fcs teams this year:
Texas A&M Commerce Lions (Southland)
Lindenwood Lions (Ohio Valley)
Stonehill Skyhawks (NEC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFA 93
July 10th, 2022, 03:47 PM
I think the Southern Utah Thunderbirds are officially a WAC team now.

aceinthehole
July 11th, 2022, 08:40 AM
Stonehill Skyhawks will begin play in the Northeast Conference this season (2022)

aceinthehole
July 11th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Bryant Bulldogs have moved from the NEC to the Big South effective this season (2022).

Catatonic
July 11th, 2022, 09:12 AM
Sam Houston is an FBS transition team and ineligible for the FCS playoffs even though they will play a full WAC schedule.

McCowboys
July 11th, 2022, 11:55 AM
Add Lamar to the Southland Conference. They were to return after this (2022-2023) season, but they will return immediately.

atthewbon
July 11th, 2022, 12:24 PM
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-realignment-conference-membership-bzbz/

This might be helpful

ursus arctos horribilis
July 11th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Dixie State changed their name to Utah Tech University (still Trailblazers) as of July 1

James Madison is now FBS in the Sun Belt, not the CAA

Monmouth and Hampton moved from the Big South to the CAA

Thank you for the help. I know the JMU one was obvious but I wanted people to start jumping in so I figured that might be some good bait.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 11th, 2022, 02:33 PM
I believe there are three new fcs teams this year:
Texas A&M Commerce Lions (Southland)
Lindenwood Lions (Ohio Valley)
Stonehill Skyhawks (NEC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, now we are getting down to the nitty gritty. Anyone feel like confirming or refuting any of these?

Nice work atthewbon

ursus arctos horribilis
July 11th, 2022, 02:34 PM
I think the Southern Utah Thunderbirds are officially a WAC team now.

I believe you are correct. Thanks.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 11th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Stonehill Skyhawks will begin play in the Northeast Conference this season (2022)

Thank you, will they be eligible for the conference title?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 11th, 2022, 02:38 PM
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-realignment-conference-membership-bzbz/

This might be helpful

Definitely. I like discussing all these in house but that is an excellent resource.

UAalum72
July 11th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Stonehill began its four-year NCAA reclassification July 1 on its way to becoming an official member of the conference in 2026-27.
Stonehill will be incorporated into NEC athletic schedules beginning with the 2022-23 season. During its reclassification Stonehill will be able to participate in NEC championships in NCAA non-automatic qualifier sports (cross country, swimming and diving, and indoor and outdoor track and field) only in 2022-23 and 2023-24, and in all sports beginning in 2024-25. However, Stonehill is ineligible for NCAA postseason competition until it completes its reclassification

Lindenwood is set to begin its reclassification process to the NCAA Division I level during the 2022-23 academic year. The Lions will be included in OVC regular season schedules and be eligible to compete in OVC Championships. Eligibility for Lindenwood to earn automatic bids to NCAA Championships begins in 2026-27, its first full season of full Division I membership.

All Texas A&M - Commerce varsity sports and individual athletes are immediately eligible to compete for SLC Championships. A&M-Commerce becomes full Division I member in 2026-27

aceinthehole
July 11th, 2022, 09:41 PM
Stonehill will play a full NEC schedule and will count in the standings and tiebreakers. However, the Skyhawks are ineligible for FCS playoffs until the 2026 season.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 12th, 2022, 12:32 PM
Stonehill will play a full NEC schedule and will count in the standings and tiebreakers. However, the Skyhawks are ineligible for FCS playoffs until the 2026 season.

There are two parts to this though. One is the FCS Playoffs, the other is if they are eligible to win the NEC Conference. Most new teams coming in to a conference do count for other teams etc. But they need to be eligible to win the NEC to be eligible for the AGS Poll. Do you know if that will be the case?

aceinthehole
July 12th, 2022, 12:53 PM
There are two parts to this though. One is the FCS Playoffs, the other is if they are eligible to win the NEC Conference. Most new teams coming in to a conference do count for other teams etc. But they need to be eligible to win the NEC to be eligible for the AGS Poll. Do you know if that will be the case?

Copy. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure.

I think because it is just a regular season title, yes they can "win the conference title" but won't be awarded the AQ to the playoffs.

Will have to wait to the Preseason poll and press release to see how the NEC explains their eligibility for the title.

Libertine
July 12th, 2022, 01:46 PM
All Texas A&M - Commerce varsity sports and individual athletes are immediately eligible to compete for SLC Championships. A&M-Commerce becomes full Division I member in 2026-27

This couldn't possibly blow up in the Southland's face...again. Could it?

??? xoopsx???

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (Santayana, 1905).

caribbeanhen
July 12th, 2022, 01:52 PM
So many dumb rules and regs

College football is upside down right now, if they win the Conference just given the AQ

McCowboys
July 12th, 2022, 01:54 PM
This couldn't possibly blow up in the Southland's face...again. Could it?

??? xoopsx???

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (Santayana, 1905).

You can check with UCA fans about this.

FUBeAR
July 12th, 2022, 03:07 PM
So many dumb rules and regs

College football is upside down right now, if they win the Conference just given the AQFUBeAR, a Bear of little brain, is hopelessly confused by the combo’s/moves of the Whack-A-Sun, the SouthWestLand, and the Big OyVeh See South Conferences…but if he did cipher correctly, there’s only 3 Teams remaining in the WAC (ACU, SFA, and SUU) that are eligible for the Playoffs 2022. Are you suggesting that a Conference of 3 deserves an Autobid or is FUBeAR just way, way, way off track?

caribbeanhen
July 12th, 2022, 03:56 PM
FUBeAR, a Bear of little brain, is hopelessly confused by the combo’s/moves of the Whack-A-Sun, the SouthWestLand, and the Big OyVeh See South Conferences…but if he did cipher correctly, there’s only 3 Teams remaining in the WAC (ACU, SFA, and SUU) that are eligible for the Playoffs 2022. Are you suggesting that a Conference of 3 deserves an Autobid or is FUBeAR just way, way, way off track?

My basic point is, if your conference champion gets an AQ, anybody that wins that conference should be eligible for the playoffs. (Minus teams transitioning to FBS)

Confused? Count me in

FUBeAR
July 12th, 2022, 04:27 PM
My basic point is, if your conference champion gets an AQ, anybody that wins that conference should be eligible for the playoffs. (Minus teams transitioning to FBS)

Confused? Count me inso…maybe someone or somethree here can ‘splain the who gets what and how of auto bids 2022 to us…

FUBeAR will take the easy ones…(Ivy (8), MEAC (6), SWAC (12) won’t accept Autobids for their Champions)

1. SoCon - Conference Champion - all 9 Teams eligible for Autobid
2. Patriot - Conference Champion - all 7 Teams eligible for Autobid
3. Big Sky - Conference Champion - all 12 Teams eligible for Autobid
4. MVFC - Conference Champion - all 11 Teams eligible for Autobid

that’s all he’s got…7 Conferences & 65 Teams out of however many.

L’il Help.

FUBeAR
July 14th, 2022, 12:40 PM
so…maybe someone or somethree here can ‘splain the who gets what and how of auto bids 2022 to us…

FUBeAR will take the easy ones…(Ivy (8), MEAC (6), SWAC (12) won’t accept Autobids for their Champions)

1. SoCon - Conference Champion - all 9 Teams eligible for Autobid
2. Patriot - Conference Champion - all 7 Teams eligible for Autobid
3. Big Sky - Conference Champion - all 12 Teams eligible for Autobid
4. MVFC - Conference Champion - all 11 Teams eligible for Autobid

that’s all he’s got…7 Conferences & 65 Teams out of however many.

L’il Help.
Sorry for the self-quote, but this article is a pretty helpful summary for those, if any, as dazed & confused as FUBeAR…

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-07-11/making-sense-fcs-conference-realignment

ursus arctos horribilis
July 21st, 2022, 04:27 PM
Stonehill began its four-year NCAA reclassification July 1 on its way to becoming an official member of the conference in 2026-27.
Stonehill will be incorporated into NEC athletic schedules beginning with the 2022-23 season. During its reclassification Stonehill will be able to participate in NEC championships in NCAA non-automatic qualifier sports (cross country, swimming and diving, and indoor and outdoor track and field) only in 2022-23 and 2023-24, and in all sports beginning in 2024-25. However, Stonehill is ineligible for NCAA postseason competition until it completes its reclassification

Lindenwood is set to begin its reclassification process to the NCAA Division I level during the 2022-23 academic year. The Lions will be included in OVC regular season schedules and be eligible to compete in OVC Championships. Eligibility for Lindenwood to earn automatic bids to NCAA Championships begins in 2026-27, its first full season of full Division I membership.

Thank you for this excellent informational post btw 72. Very helpful, concise, and useful.xthumbsupx