PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 returning FCS QBs for 2022

bonarae
June 30th, 2022, 02:06 AM
From NCAA.com

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-06-15/top-5-returning-fcs-quarterbacks-2022

Discuss. This list may surprise you... just like it did to me.

caribbeanhen
June 30th, 2022, 07:45 AM
From NCAA.com

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-06-15/top-5-returning-fcs-quarterbacks-2022

Discuss. This list may surprise you... just like it did to me.

Bonarae, What surprised you about this list?

I was happy to see Nolan Henderson mentioned. Having missed the majority of the season last year, it would have been easy for some national writer to forget about him. If he can stay on the field look out.... Ryan Carty has added several playmakers to the roster and it was needed if Delaware is really serious about winning.

bonarae
June 30th, 2022, 08:36 AM
Bonarae, What surprised you about this list?

I was happy to see Nolan Henderson mentioned. Having missed the majority of the season last year, it would have been easy for some national writer to forget about him. If he can stay on the field look out.... Ryan Carty has added several playmakers to the roster and it was needed if Delaware is really serious about winning.

Oh. Some of them were not even mentioned and/or discussed on this board yet they contributed quality stats last season...

AmsterBison
June 30th, 2022, 11:08 AM
My key takeaway is that there are a lot of very good QBs in the FCS again.

Not that I'd take any other team's QB over NDSU's Cam Miller and his 174 passing efficiency. Of course, he doesn't have Christian Watson to throw to this year so we'll see.

Daytripper
June 30th, 2022, 11:12 AM
Muskett from Monmouth should at least be in the "just missed the cut" section.

Go Green
June 30th, 2022, 03:41 PM
No love for Dartmouth's Nick Howard, who was first-team All Ivy last season. :(

Admittedly, Howard is a Tim Tebow type-QB. Maybe those aren't Stan Becton's thing.

Redbird 4th & short
June 30th, 2022, 04:12 PM
Looks ot be a very strong year at QB in MVFC in 2022 .. got 4 of the top 10 per this analyst. And he didn't even include NDSU's Cam Miller who took over the helm mid season to post the top QBR in MVFC last season with a 174. Not to mention, Gronowski was out injured last fall after a very strong 2020-21, and his replacement was SR Chris Oladokun who finished 2nd to Miller in QBR in MVFC, barely ahead of Camp, Baker, and Shelly. Nor can you sleep on WIU Conner Sampson who threw for 3,100+ yards playing for a bad WIU team who had no run game (last by far) or defense (2nd to last).

#4 Jason Shelley, MoST
#5 Nic Baker, SIU
#9 Carson Camp, USD
#10 Mark Gronowski, SDSU

ISUr is desperate for a QB and hanging our hopes on new OC Tony Peterson and MN spring transfer Zack Annexstad ... he is reportedly looking good so far. So we might see him emerge. And our OC is actually someone with a track record ... we'll see. Our pass game and QB play has been bad to mediocre since 2016.

KPSUL
June 30th, 2022, 04:25 PM
No love for Dartmouth's Nick Howard, who was first-team All Ivy last season. :(

Admittedly, Howard is a Tim Tebow type-QB. Maybe those aren't Stan Becton's thing.

Tebow type? Maybe more like a John Riggins type. He's one heck of a power running back but didn't throw more than 20 passes last season did he? I'd think Derek Kyler would have been top of the FCS list if he could have stayed at Dartmouth. Just guessing but Buddy T probably has another passing QB waiting in the wings who will take most of the 2022 snaps.

caribbeanhen
June 30th, 2022, 06:45 PM
What about the all guts short on talent Holy Cross QB

or the Nichols st quarterback that transfer to Incarnate Word

The VMI quarterback that transferred to Maryland and now back to Richmond

Did the Brown QB graduate? I think he did

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 30th, 2022, 08:43 PM
What about the all guts short on talent Holy Cross QB

or the Nichols st quarterback that transfer to Incarnate Word

The VMI quarterback that transferred to Maryland and now back to Richmond

Did the Brown QB graduate? I think he did

What about Tyler Riddell who returns after setting a program record 11 wins and first outright SoCon title?

lionsrking2
June 30th, 2022, 10:08 PM
Cephus Johnson has a chance to have a monster year in our offense. Potential 3000 yard passer/1000 yard rusher playing full-time.

Go Green
July 1st, 2022, 08:12 AM
Tebow type? Maybe more like a John Riggins type. He's one heck of a power running back but didn't throw more than 20 passes last season did he? I'd think Derek Kyler would have been top of the FCS list if he could have stayed at Dartmouth. Just guessing but Buddy T probably has another passing QB waiting in the wings who will take most of the 2022 snaps.

Howard has told the press several times that he's a threat with his arm as well. He's actually at the Manning Passing Academy this summer working on technique.

I'm sure he will get every opportunity to be the "full-time" guy at Dartmouth next season. If he doesn't impress with his arm, we do have potential options to replace Kyler and continue the "rotating QB" system.

caribbeanhen
July 1st, 2022, 08:20 AM
What about Tyler Riddell who returns after setting a program record 11 wins and first outright SoCon title?

Watching the Kennesaw St game my initial impression was kind of this guy is weak but as the game progressed my opinion did as well

Final answer: Let’s see how he does without Holmes

FUBeAR
July 1st, 2022, 08:28 AM
Watching the Kennesaw St game my initial impression was kind of this guy is weak but as the game progressed my opinion did as well

Final answer: Let’s see how he does without HolmesHe’s a very, very tough one to assess. Looks fair to middlin’ most of the time, but finds a way to pull some miracles out of, um, somewhere, in the clutch.

crusader11
July 1st, 2022, 09:25 AM
Muskett from Monmouth should at least be in the "just missed the cut" section.

He was very unimpressive the one time I saw him against HC. In fact, the entire Monmouth team looked hungover that day. Perhaps too much time spent at D'jais on Friday night.

Daytripper
July 1st, 2022, 09:47 AM
He was very unimpressive the one time I saw him against HC. In fact, the entire Monmouth team looked hungover that day. Perhaps too much time spent at D'jais on Friday night.

All I know is that he was very impressive and almost single-handedly beat us in the playoffs.

caribbeanhen
July 1st, 2022, 09:50 AM
He’s a very, very tough one to assess. Looks fair to middlin’ most of the time, but finds a way to pull some miracles out of, um, somewhere, in the clutch.

thats a fair assessment, and as far as pulling out games, that’s why I said we’ll see how he does without Holmes Because it was ole Johnny who made a living by pulling it out

FUBeAR
July 1st, 2022, 10:31 AM
thats a fair assessment, and as far as pulling out games, that’s why I said we’ll see how he does without Holmes Because it was ole Johnny who made a living by pulling it out
Well, ETSU still has Jacob Saylors, who is an excellent All-American RB, but…yeah, he doesn’t quite measure up to Holmes.

caribbeanhen
July 1st, 2022, 10:54 AM
Well, ETSU still has Jacob Saylors, who is an excellent All-American RB, but…yeah, he doesn’t quite measure up to Holmes.

This is in more ways than one, balls on

TribeNomad1
July 1st, 2022, 12:09 PM
This is in more ways than one, balls on

And the other Holmes made a living not only by pulling it out, .....but putting it, well you know.

kdinva
July 1st, 2022, 01:42 PM
Seth Morgan @ VMI can/should have a fine season. Top 5? maybe not, definitely top 15

caribbeanhen
July 1st, 2022, 02:06 PM
Cephus Johnson has a chance to have a monster year in our offense. Potential 3000 yard passer/1000 yard rusher playing full-time.

Transfer?

lionsrking2
July 1st, 2022, 02:10 PM
Transfer?

Yes, former starter at South Alabama, but he's been here since spring season '21. Backed up Cole Kelley and played occasionally in hybrid role, similar to how we used Cole in 2019. Just didn't get many opportunities in the passing game, but he's got an absolute cannon. 6'5, 225, runs a 4.5 and can spin it 70 yards downfield.

caribbeanhen
July 1st, 2022, 04:26 PM
Yes, former starter at South Alabama, but he's been here since spring season '21. Backed up Cole Kelley and played occasionally in hybrid role, similar to how we used Cole in 2019. Just didn't get many opportunities in the passing game, but he's got an absolute cannon. 6'5, 225, runs a 4.5 and can spin it 70 yards downfield.

Sounds interesting for sure, thanks LK2