PDA

View Full Version : Why not Delaware?

Pages : [1] 2

caribbeanhen
June 13th, 2022, 10:48 AM
FCS fans outside of Fargo have not had much to cheer about over what is now entering a second decade.

What North Dakota State has done over the past 12 years is unprecedented and very special but you know what ....I’ve had enough ....I can’t put up with it anymore (SPM 1978)

With the recent hiring of Ryan Carty, a fresh breeze is blowing into Newark, Delaware. A back up Delaware quarterback who played on the 2003 national championship team under his mentor KC Keeler and later was hired by KC as OC at Sam Houston. Ironically, he beat out KC for the job.

Carty wasted no time recognizing that Delaware needed a big talent upgrade if they were serious about winning and competing with the best teams in FCS. You could back up a step and also say serious about beating Villanova. It’s refreshing to see a coach understand it’s about talent first and not some feel good holistic bed time story. Carty knows Nova is our rival.

Ryan understands what it takes to beat North Dakota St, as most reading this know his Sammy team actually did it with a big assist from Jaqueez Ezzard of Oz. He knows he has to improve the interior defense and Olines, not necessarily in that order.

He was hired because he understands how important it is to recognize the prestigious history of the Delaware football program and how to do things the Delaware way, Which is ironically just the opposite of what his predecessor stubborn Danny Rocco practiced.

Delaware now has probably the best facilities at the FCS level and hopefully it will soon pay off with recruiting, Not to mention that Carty is recruiting much more aggressively on a national level.

JMU is gone!

Somebody has to knock off the Bison and although it will be a very challenging task....

I ask you AGS .... Why not Delaware?

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2022, 10:54 AM
Delaware now has probably the best facilities at the FCS level and hopefully it will soon pay off with recruiting, Not to mention that Carty is recruiting much more aggressively on a national level.

Best facilities? Princeton says hello.

https://www.princetontigersfootball.com/facilities-gallery/

https://www.princetontigersfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Stadium-Corner.jpg

kdinva
June 13th, 2022, 11:23 AM
top notch facilities amongst programs who participate in playoffs.

https://www.princetontigersfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Stadium-Corner.jpg

MR. CHICKEN
June 13th, 2022, 11:29 AM
...TWO UNHAPPY X-FER HOYAS....VIE FO' OL TIME....HMMM......AH MEMBERAH....WHEN TUBBY TOOK UH QB X-FER FROM IONA.......DOWN INSIDE DUH 5.....HE KEEPS UH FAKE HANDOFF.....SPRINTS...ALL ALONE TA LEFT.....AN'...IS BROUGHT DOWN....BAH AN EARTH WORM.....NO OPPOSIN' PLAYERS ANYWHERE IN VICINITY........AH'D PREFER MAH X-FERS....FROM DUH TOP 25....NOT DUH BOTTOM UH BARREL.......BAH DUH TIME OURAH LINE GELS......HENDERSON......WILL BE........BALANCIN' PORTFOLIOS....FO' MERRILL.......BRAWK!

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2022, 11:48 AM
The CAA is definitely up for grabs with no more JMU and Delaware has the infrastructure and support to be the top dog in that conference. The question is will the CAA as a whole continue it's downward trajectory from the level the MVFC and Big Sky are competing at? If so, the CAA winner might find it tough to crack the top 4 seeds and it's pretty tough to contend with 2 potential road games before Frisco.

centraljerseycat
June 13th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Why not Delaware???

Probably because 9 times out of 10 the Hens lose their last game of the regular season. Hard to go for FCS domination when that happens....

taper
June 13th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Always happy to see a program wanting to better itself. There's nothing magical about NDSU's success, just a lot of hard work. We have the same 63 scholarship limit as everyone else and while a large budget, that's mostly due to fan support built up over time. No reason any school can't do the same if they want to. I think it's worth mentioning South Dakota State never even made the playoffs once in D2, but decided to go D1 and build the program and are now perennial contenders.

FUBeAR
June 13th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Why not E*Loan?

I mean the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians ALMOST beat Winless-in-the-SoCon Wofford last year while finishing just behind Villanova, the only (remaining) Team ahead of Elon in the CAA.

Staying somewhat in the game last year vs. the SoCon’s caboose clearly qualifies Elon as a contender for this year’s CAA Championship.

So, extending your postulate and rhetorical question…If Delaware, why not E*Loan?

MR. CHICKEN
June 13th, 2022, 12:23 PM
Always happy to see a program wanting to better itself. There's nothing magical about NDSU's success, just a lot of hard work. We have the same 63 scholarship limit as everyone else and while a large budget, that's mostly due to fan support built up over time. No reason any school can't do the same if they want to. I think it's worth mentioning South Dakota State never even made the playoffs once in D2, but decided to go D1 and build the program and are now perennial contenders.

.....BIZONSSS....HAVE BEEN IN RELOAD MODE....FO' SEVERAL YEARS NOW.....TALENT CLAMOURS.......TA GET IN....DAT'S LIKE MAGIC.....WHIFF OUT DUH SMOKE/MIRRORS.......DOODLE-DOO!

Henny
June 13th, 2022, 12:33 PM

Carib is also referring to the Whitney Athletic Center. The nicest facility of its kind in the FCS and if there's another in the division that rivals it , please let us know.

Whitney Athletic Center (bluehens.com) (https://bluehens.com/feature/WAC)

Daytripper
June 13th, 2022, 12:33 PM
The CAA is definitely up for grabs with no more JMU and Delaware has the infrastructure and support to be the top dog in that conference. The question is will the CAA as a whole continue it's downward trajectory from the level the MVFC and Big Sky are competing at? If so, the CAA winner might find it tough to crack the top 4 seeds and it's pretty tough to contend with 2 potential road games before Frisco.

Expanding on Caribbeanhen's initial post, you can look to Sam Houston (and Jacksonville State) to find a potential answer. Sam Houston in the Southland and JSU in the OVC just beat the hell out of their conference competition (JMU used the same formula). Along with having a legit OOC FCS game, it's the only way to break the top 4, but it can be done..

KPSUL
June 13th, 2022, 12:42 PM
top notch facilities amongst programs who participate in playoffs.

Which FCS school has the "Best facilities " is in the eye of the beholder. There are dozens of schools that have stadiums generally comparable to Delaware - each one has its own great characteristics. Locker rooms and indoor training facilities may have some impact on recruiting but I doubt it is the deciding factor in most decisions.

I think it is very premature to speculate which team(s) have a chance of ending the NDSU dynasty. Delaware would not be the first team that comes to mind for most of us. There was a bit of unbridled enthusiasm for Delaware's future when Danny Rocco was hired as well. A reasonable argument could be made that Rocco was fired a year or two too early. He had an overall winning record during his five seasons (31-23 ?) and made the playoffs twice, including the 2021 Spring season, semi-finals appearance.

Carty seem like a good hiring action, but with the risk associated with selecting someone with no head coaching experience. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that has a more impressive OC credibility at the FCS level. But I don't think I'd be buying my 2022 season National Championship Game tickets yet.

caribbeanhen
June 13th, 2022, 01:07 PM
Which FCS school has the "Best facilities " is in the eye of the beholder. There are dozens of schools that have stadiums generally comparable to Delaware - each one has its own great characteristics. Locker rooms and indoor training facilities may have some impact on recruiting but I doubt it is the deciding factor in most decisions.

I think it is very premature to speculate which team(s) have a chance of ending the NDSU dynasty. Delaware would not be the first team that comes to mind for most of us. There was a bit of unbridled enthusiasm for Delaware's future when Danny Rocco was hired as well. A reasonable argument could be made that Rocco was fired a year or two too early. He had an overall winning record during his five seasons (31-23 ?) and made the playoffs twice, including the 2021 Spring season, semi-finals appearance.

Carty seem like a good hiring action, but with the risk associated with selecting someone with no head coaching experience. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that has a more impressive OC credibility at the FCS level. But I don't think I'd be buying my 2022 season National Championship Game tickets yet.

This is about the decade going forward more so than 2022 and you have to be kidding when you say now is a bit premature to start speculating .... That should of started years ago

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2022, 01:26 PM
Carib is also referring to the Whitney Athletic Center. The nicest facility of its kind in the FCS and if there's another in the division that rivals it , please let us know.

Whitney Athletic Center (bluehens.com) (https://bluehens.com/feature/WAC)
Tough to compare a lot of these facilities since they all have different nuances depending on need based on other facilities at each campus. UD's facility looks like a combination of what NDSU did when they renovated the Sanford Health Athletic Complex (link (https://gobison.com/facilities/sanford-health-athletic-complex/38) - dropdown at the top allows you to access everything it houses) and the big new addition which is an 117,000 square foot indoor practice facility with a full football field in it that's currently being built and scheduled to be completed this fall: https://gobison.com/facilities/indoor-football-practice-facility/41.

SDSU has a pretty nice indoor facility as well that's basically attached to their football stadium called the Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Complex: https://www.sdstate.edu/buildings/sanford-jackrabbit-athletic-complex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSLPc48D0A

I wouldn't say either of them is better than the Whitney Athletic Center but there's definitely some competition although I doubt Delaware will be in many recruiting battles with NDSU and SDSU anyway.

Henny
June 13th, 2022, 02:06 PM
Delaware has an indoor practice facility as well. It's an older building that will go through extensive renovations in the next couple years. This includes housing football offices and a new locker room. The Jacks indoor facility is a beauty.

Delaware Field House (adobe.com) (https://express.adobe.com/page/zbYkh45obv0R4/)

UNAPride
June 13th, 2022, 03:19 PM

I've always been curious what happened to NDSU their last 13 seasons in D2 and their first 7 in FCS. The Bison went 20 years without a title after doing so well in the 80's. What happened? Was it just a lack of hard work?

POD Knows
June 13th, 2022, 03:49 PM
I've always been curious what happened to NDSU their last 13 seasons in D2 and their first 7 in FCS. The Bison went 20 years without a title after doing so well in the 80's. What happened? Was it just a lack of hard work?
Made the playoffs multiple times in the 90s but couldn’t get over the hump. Also had multiple years in the D1 transition where they had good teams but not playoff eligible.

NY Crusader 2010
June 13th, 2022, 04:01 PM
Made the playoffs multiple times in the 90s but couldn’t get over the hump. Also had multiple years in the D1 transition where they had good teams but not playoff eligible.

I forgot how good a couple of those teams were. The 2006 and 2007 teams both finished 10-1 and could've taken on anyone in the country outside of maybe App State. The 2007 team probably finishes the year ranked #2 in the polls, ahead of national runner-up Delaware, if they don't lose the finale to SDSU.

UNAPride
June 13th, 2022, 05:36 PM
I forgot how good a couple of those teams were. The 2006 and 2007 teams both finished 10-1 and could've taken on anyone in the country outside of maybe App State. The 2007 team probably finishes the year ranked #2 in the polls, ahead of national runner-up Delaware, if they don't lose the finale to SDSU.

But, then they lost 13 games the next two seasons. And then something switched on in 2010. Just had me curious.

POD Knows
June 13th, 2022, 05:39 PM
I forgot how good a couple of those teams were. The 2006 and 2007 teams both finished 10-1 and could've taken on anyone in the country outside of maybe App State. The 2007 team probably finishes the year ranked #2 in the polls, ahead of national runner-up Delaware, if they don't lose the finale to SDSU.That 2006 team only lost to the Gophers and the Bison totally dominated that game, lost 10-9, 23 first downs to 12 for the Gophers, 380 total yards of offense vs 249 for the Gophers. We dont talk much about 08 and 09. :D

UNAPride
June 13th, 2022, 05:42 PM
That 2006 team only lost to the Gophers and the Bison totally dominated that game, lost 10-9, 23 first downs to 12 for the Gophers, 380 total yards of offense vs 249 for the Gophers. We dont talk much about 08 and 09. :D

Do you think the four-year transition hurt recruiting for those two lackluster seasons? Do you recall?

POD Knows
June 13th, 2022, 06:17 PM
Do you think the four-year transition hurt recruiting for those two lackluster seasons? Do you recall?I don't think so, we had quality people at a lot of positions, inconsistent QB play, a couple of those loses in that period were to FBS teams, lot of close games, I don't know, those teams seemed better than their records. The 2010 team sort of backed into the playoffs and then played well in the playoffs (lost (got screwed) to the eventual Natty champ. I always felt that these teams underperformed for some reason, it was hard to put a finger on it. I do know that the Bison defenses back then were not what they are now. That, and the QB play are two of the major differences now in this run.

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2022, 06:39 PM
Do you think the four-year transition hurt recruiting for those two lackluster seasons? Do you recall?
IIRC former head coach Craig Bohl said a few years after the fact that they got lackadaisical in their recruiting during those 10-1 seasons thinking the program success would allow then to get away with it and it bit them 2008 and 2009. It also didn't help that 2008 was their first year playing a full MVFC schedule and they didn't have the depth for the physical grind that entailed. It got so bad that they had to move an RB to LB mid-season and pull the redshirt on an RB because of it. They learned their lesson and may have put together the best recruiting class (at least in terms of caareer success) in FCS history after their 3-8 season in 2009.

KPSUL
June 13th, 2022, 07:14 PM

The Big Sky? On what are you basing your conclusion that the CAA is on a "downward trajectory" when compared to the Big Sky? There is very little inter-conference play between the two conferences; however, JMU had little or no trouble beating the best of the Big Sky. JMU's CAA opponents played JMU much tougher than the Sky guys, I attended three JMU games last year, Montana, Villanova and UNH. I was really looking forward to the Montana vs JMU game - but what a disappointment! Montana looked about the same as Bobby Morris playing JMU. However, Villanova beat them in Harrisonburg and CAA 11th place UNH lost by two points and had an opportunity to win in the last minute of the game. W&M, Richmond, and Delaware all gave JMU a better game than Montana or Weber State (which was played in Ogden UT). I think the Big Sky is significantly over-rated. The top few teams benefit from a very weak bottom 5 or 6 teams and roll up better win-loss records come playoff selection time. The CAA has much better overall conference strength top to bottom.

Utgrizfan
June 13th, 2022, 07:18 PM
Think Montana has yall beat in terms of facilities
especially in regards to the football stadium

Libertine
June 13th, 2022, 07:24 PM
Delaware now has probably the best facilities at the FCS level and hopefully it will soon pay off with recruiting,

"Best facilities in FCS" is subjective because it requires a comparison to things that are alike and unalike at the same time. Also, it's at absolute best a temporary comparison because the arc of time from state-of-the-art to average to obsolete is shockingly short.

In my experience, however, there's a real pitfall when it comes to discussions of facilities, especially when it comes from fans and/or administrators (aka, people paid to be fans). Facilities can either be a tool or a crutch and people forget that no family-named scoreboard or shiny glass lobby ever won a damn thing. Eventually, facilities become more of a university marketing element and there's often a nearly arbitrary expectation that school's fanbase "deserves" a certain level of results on the field given the school's "commitment to facilities", many of which may or may not actually contribute to the development of the program. A lot of coaches have been done in because the university built a glossy new building around them.

Dane96
June 13th, 2022, 07:29 PM

Very debatable.

bonarae
June 13th, 2022, 08:09 PM
Meanwhile...

Do we need to sort the "best FCS-based" facilities by region to prevent debates at the national level? xchinscratchx

Frankly, FCS is regionally biased towards the Midwest, South and Intermountain West, but not as biased as other football divisions of the NCAA and even NAIA. What do you think of my opinion? xrulesx

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2022, 08:39 PM
The Big Sky? On what are you basing your conclusion that the CAA is on a "downward trajectory" when compared to the Big Sky? There is very little inter-conference play between the two conferences; however, JMU had little or no trouble beating the best of the Big Sky. JMU's CAA opponents played JMU much tougher than the Sky guys, I attended three JMU games last year, Montana, Villanova and UNH. I was really looking forward to the Montana vs JMU game - but what a disappointment! Montana looked about the same as Bobby Morris playing JMU. However, Villanova beat them in Harrisonburg and CAA 11th place UNH lost by two points and had an opportunity to win in the last minute of the game. W&M, Richmond, and Delaware all gave JMU a better game than Montana or Weber State (which was played in Ogden UT). I think the Big Sky is significantly over-rated. The top few teams benefit from a very weak bottom 5 or 6 teams and roll up better win-loss records come playoff selection time. The CAA has much better overall conference strength top to bottom.
The Big Sky is simply deeper. JMU was a better program recently than any Big Sky program but the Big Sky with the Montana schools, EWU, and Weber St having all recently made quarterfinal or deeper playoff runs has much more recent playoff success than the CAA minus JMU. Last year specifically the CAA had a good number of weeks with only 2 teams ranked in the top 25 and now the conference torch bearer is gone. I don't think it's crazy to question whether the CAA will remain among the elite FCS conferences with MVFC and Big Sky or fit into the next tier with the SOCON, WAC/ASUN, et al.

NDSU1980
June 13th, 2022, 08:41 PM
IIRC former head coach Craig Bohl said a few years after the fact that they got lackadaisical in their recruiting during those 10-1 seasons thinking the program success would allow then to get away with it and it bit them 2008 and 2009. It also didn't help that 2008 was their first year playing a full MVFC schedule and they didn't have the depth for the physical grind that entailed. It got so bad that they had to move an RB to LB mid-season and pull the redshirt on an RB because of it. They learned their lesson and may have put together the best recruiting class (at least in terms of caareer success) in FCS history after their 3-8 season in 2009.Bohl seemed to think he only needed to recruit a quarterback once every 5 years in those days.

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2022, 10:41 PM
Frankly, FCS is regionally biased towards the Midwest, South and Intermountain West, but not as biased as other football divisions of the NCAA and even NAIA. What do you think of my opinion?

It doesn't have to be, but the erosion in Eastern football over the decades has played into this perception. It's also biased by non-flagship state funded universities.

Libertine
June 13th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Frankly, FCS is regionally biased towards the Midwest, South and Intermountain West

Sooooooo....places where people actually show up to games?

bonarae
June 14th, 2022, 12:32 AM
It doesn't have to be, but the erosion in Eastern football over the decades has played into this perception. It's also biased by non-flagship state funded universities.

I believe my perception was caused by the former... xcoffeex

Sooooooo....places where people actually show up to games?

And also people that accept the fact that the programs mostly have nowhere to go up. :(

caribbeanhen
June 14th, 2022, 06:37 AM

PC, I think you raise a valid question about the CAA but did you just use Big Sky and MVFC in the same sentence? MVFC is by far and away the better conference. Actually if you conjoined the CAA and Big Sky in a sentence it would be less controversial. How many hyped up Weber State beatings by the CAA do we need to squash the bias?

To use a Yogism, the CAA is not as bad as it is right now

As far as facilities, I’m speaking about the new state of the art weight room and training facility that have just recently been completed, it’s top notch and long overdue. Today’s kids and parents are attracted to these type of facilities.

The stadium photos are nice though.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2022, 07:59 AM
PC, I think you raise a valid question about the CAA but did you just use Big Sky and MVFC in the same sentence? MVFC is by far and away the better conference. Actually if you conjoined the CAA and Big Sky in a sentence it would be less controversial. How many hyped up Weber State beatings by the CAA do we need to squash the bias?

To use a Yogism, the CAA is not as bad as it is right now

As far as facilities, I’m speaking about the new state of the art weight room and training facility that have just recently been completed, it’s top notch and long overdue. Today’s kids and parents are attracted to these type of facilities.

The stadium photos are nice though.
I'd agree that the MVFC is clearly above the Big Sky overall but I'm basing my grouping off the fact that post-App St/GSU the FCS has had 3 conferences head and shoulders above the rest. It might just be two now. I don't think I agree that right now the CAA is closer to the Big Sky than the Big Sky is to the MVFC (but I reserve the right to change my opinion after seeing how the CAA shakes out post-JMU). Just look at the preseason polls coming out now... you have to get down to #8 or so before you find a team outside of the MVFC or Big Sky. The CAA has some work to do in order to get back into that conversation.

Disclaimer: I realize preseason polls are nothing but offseason fodder but that's what we're relegated to in mid-June.

KPSUL
June 14th, 2022, 08:26 AM
The Big Sky is simply deeper.

I couldn't disagree more. The top 4 or 5 teams in the Big Sky fatten up their Win-Loss record on the bottom half of the conference. The lack of DEPTH leads to the larger number of teams ending up in the top 25. It is almost impossible to compare the Big Sky and CAA in a meaningful way, consequently, I wouldn't state that either conference is measurably better. However, it is simply wrong to describe the Big Sky as deep.

caribbeanhen
June 14th, 2022, 09:07 AM
I'd agree that the MVFC is clearly above the Big Sky overall but I'm basing my grouping off the fact that post-App St/GSU the FCS has had 3 conferences head and shoulders above the rest. It might just be two now. I don't think I agree that right now the CAA is closer to the Big Sky than the Big Sky is to the MVFC (but I reserve the right to change my opinion after seeing how the CAA shakes out post-JMU). Just look at the preseason polls coming out now... you have to get down to #8 or so before you find a team outside of the MVFC or Big Sky. The CAA has some work to do in order to get back into that conversation.

Disclaimer: I realize preseason polls are nothing but offseason fodder but that's what we're relegated to in mid-June.

Recently, besides the JMU and Maine drubbings of Weber State, I don’t remember any CAA vs Big Sky games. Probably won’t see one this year unless it’s a deep playoff game unfortunately. Wait, Montana got whipped by JMU but it’s time to stop talking about the Doggie Duke that’s not coming back home.

No question about it though, the point you made about the JMUless CAA needing to prove themselves is solid.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2022, 12:17 PM
I couldn't disagree more. The top 4 or 5 teams in the Big Sky fatten up their Win-Loss record on the bottom half of the conference. The lack of DEPTH leads to the larger number of teams ending up in the top 25. It is almost impossible to compare the Big Sky and CAA in a meaningful way, consequently, I wouldn't state that either conference is measurably better. However, it is simply wrong to describe the Big Sky as deep.
Well, we're looking at this from different perspectives then I guess. If you want to argue that the bottom half of the CAA is better than the bottom half of the Big Sky so be it but I think that's a pretty shaky argument even if it's true. From my vantage point the Big Sky looks to have more playoff worthy and seed worthy teams... but a lot can change between now and Thanksgiving. As far as padding wins goes keep in mind the CAA will now have more teams total (13) than the Big Sky (12 with SUU's move to the WAC) so if you're going to claim the top Big Sky schools pad their win totals with unbalanced conference schedules the same can be said for the CAA.

Recently, besides the JMU and Maine drubbings of Weber State, I don’t remember any CAA vs Big Sky games. Probably won’t see one this year unless it’s a deep playoff game unfortunately. Wait, Montana got whipped by JMU but it’s time to stop talking about the Doggie Duke that’s not coming back home.

No question about it though, the point you made about the JMUless CAA needing to prove themselves is solid.
Yeah, won't be much opportunity for head-to-head comparisons since the playoffs keep getting more and regional (until the quarters at least).

Sitting Bull
June 14th, 2022, 07:10 PM

W&M throttled Weber 38-0 in the FCS 1st round playoffs 2009. It’s the only game I think we have ever played against a Big Sky team.

FUBeAR
June 14th, 2022, 07:29 PM
W&M throttled Weber 38-0 in the FCS 1st round playoffs 2009. It’s the only game I think we have ever played against a Big Sky team.
Everybody does it…Big Sky’s gets treated like red-headed stepchildren when they step outside their bubble.

WEBER STATE VS CHATTANOOGA

Team
F

WSU

UTC

DATE: 11/26/2016 1st round of FCS Playoffs

The Cats
June 15th, 2022, 06:27 AM

As does the MVFC, and now, the CAA is framed to do the same...

ElCid
June 15th, 2022, 08:29 AM

This is very true and obvious. So many want to say they are deep, but it's hard to say that when just basing it off of conference play. Yeah, occasionally a bottom team gets wins over their conferences best. A good win here or there doesn't equate to depth necessarily. Familiarity, history, and rivalries play big parts in conf games. But people want to equate the team with a conf record of 2-7 knocking off one of their conf leaders, for the first time in years, as depth. Doesn't necessarily work that way.

I will say this though, for competitiveness in conference, I'm not sure their is another conf as close as the SOCON. It truly has been anyone's opportunity the last 8 or so years. I'll admit we have been a bit down, but it's demise has been greatly exaggerated. In the last 9 years (post APP/GASO), out of the 9 conf teams, 6 different teams have claimed the auto bid, and 7 teams have claimed a piece of the championship. The only two who haven't have been WCU and Mercer. And Mercer has been right there and WCU has had it moments. Not sure any other conf has as many teams in the hunt over that time. But I haven't looked closely.

caribbeanhen
June 15th, 2022, 08:44 AM

That was back when the CAA dominated FCS like we’ve never seen

talk about depth

FUBeAR
June 15th, 2022, 09:30 AM
I will say this though, for competitiveness in conference, I'm not sure their is another conf as close as the SOCON. It truly has been anyone's opportunity the last 8 or so years. In the last 9 years, out of the 9 conf teams, 6 different teams have claimed the auto bid, and 7 teams have claimed a piece of the championship. The only two who haven't have been WCU and Mercer. And Mercer has been right there and WCU has had it moments. Not sure any other conf has as many teams in the hunt over that time. But I haven't looked closely.
Neither has the Playoff Selection Committee.

Just to cite the 2 you mentioned who haven’t grabbed at least a piece of the SoCon Championship…Mercer should have been in the Playoffs last season and WCU should have been selected in 2014 & 2015 and would have been in in 2017…except they got nipped by 2 in their final FCS regular season game…by Mercer.

#NoWeeksOff

Sitting Bull
June 15th, 2022, 11:02 AM
That was back when the CAA dominated FCS like we’ve never seen

talk about depth

We had many good teams that year. The National Championship that year was ironically CAA vs Big Sky: Villanova vs Montana.

Maybe 2009 was simply the best year any specific league has EVER had in FCS playoffs. We had W&M, UNH, Villanova and Richmond all in. W&M and Villanova were in a semifinal match-up. I think the other was Montana/App State.

atthewbon
June 15th, 2022, 11:06 AM

Except that the bottom and middle MVFC teams do better ooc than the bottom or middle of any other conference. Last year Youngstown st who was tied for last in the MVFC beat a good quarterfinalist UIW team. 3-5 in conference Indiana st beat a bubble team in EKU on the road. 4-4 in conference UNI beat eventual 4 seed Sac st on the road (who lost to another valley team in the playoffs). And no one in the conference had what would be considered a bad ooc loss. The only 2 regular season fcs ooc loses anyone in the conference had were western Illinois who was 2-6 in conference and lost to two playoff teams in Montana and EWU. No other conference can say anything close to that.

Sader87
June 15th, 2022, 12:48 PM
I would put Holy Cross' overall football facilities: stadium, indoor/outdoor practice fields, training facilities, coaching/film rooms etc up against anybody in the FCS.

It's not perfect...Fitton could use some amenities, bettah visiting locker-room etc but overall, very few FCS schools have the football facilities HC does imo.

https://goholycross.com/news/2020/5/12/athletics-hart-center-at-the-luth-athletic-complex.aspx

KPSUL
June 15th, 2022, 01:33 PM
I would put Holy Cross' overall football facilities: stadium, indoor/outdoor practice fields, training facilities, coaching/film rooms etc up against anybody in the FCS.

It's not perfect...Fitton could use some amenities, bettah visiting locker-room etc but overall, very few FCS schools have the football facilities HC does imo.

https://goholycross.com/news/2020/5/12/athletics-hart-center-at-the-luth-athletic-complex.aspx

Fitton has some very good features that makes it a nice place to watch a football game. The stands are very close to the field and are rather steep, affording a very good view of the action. There is a very large grass field close to the stadium for tailgating. I don't recall whether or not they had a video board, or how large it is. But the last time we played there I do remember we could not see that the HC player who recovered the game winning TD in the UNH end zone was clearly out of bounds when he got possession of the ball until seeing the game highlights on video the following day. So a state of the art video board might be nice.

https://youtu.be/2VJuN5sTC5o?t=82

KPSUL
June 15th, 2022, 01:42 PM
Except that the bottom and middle MVFC teams do better ooc than the bottom or middle of any other conference. Last year Youngstown st who was tied for last in the MVFC beat a good quarterfinalist UIW team. 3-5 in conference Indiana st beat a bubble team in EKU on the road. 4-4 in conference UNI beat eventual 4 seed Sac st on the road (who lost to another valley team in the playoffs). And no one in the conference had what would be considered a bad ooc loss. The only 2 regular season fcs ooc loses anyone in the conference had were western Illinois who was 2-6 in conference and lost to two playoff teams in Montana and EWU. No other conference can say anything close to that.

Exactly on point. I'd say that the two conferences with the best depth and conference parity at this point are the MVFC and SOCON in that order. Due to the upcoming changes the next couple of seasons the CAA has some questions to be answered. IMO opinion Monmouth and NC A&T have a good chance of being competitive from the start, not comfortable saying the same about Hampton.
But the Big Sky? Not really deep top to bottom.

atthewbon
June 15th, 2022, 04:34 PM
Exactly on point. I'd say that the two conferences with the best depth and conference parity at this point are the MVFC and SOCON in that order. Due to the upcoming changes the next couple of seasons the CAA has some questions to be answered. IMO opinion Monmouth and NC A&T have a good chance of being competitive from the start, not comfortable saying the same about Hampton.
But the Big Sky? Not really deep top to bottom.

Yea the CAA has a big question mark with JMU leaving but very good potential in Monmouth and NC A&T. It’ll be interesting to see how the dynamics between the conferences develop in the next few years.

Sader87
June 15th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Fitton has some very good features that makes it a nice place to watch a football game. The stands are very close to the field and are rather steep, affording a very good view of the action. There is a very large grass field close to the stadium for tailgating. I don't recall whether or not they had a video board, or how large it is. But the last time we played there I do remember we could not see that the HC player who recovered the game winning TD in the UNH end zone was clearly out of bounds when he got possession of the ball until seeing the game highlights on video the following day. So a state of the art video board might be nice.

https://youtu.be/2VJuN5sTC5o?t=82

Video board was put in at Fitton last Fall. It's nice but I think they were still working out the kinks of it last season....hopefully it will be utilized bettah this upcoming season.

caribbeanhen
June 16th, 2022, 09:23 AM
and 41-3 in the FCS playoffs is just insanely good

but by the tone of the thread, everyone has pretty much thrown in the towel and accepted another decade of this

Not one poster even tried to make a case for their team so we are either a very realistic or beaten down bunch of fans

FUBeAR
June 16th, 2022, 09:59 AM

but by the tone of the thread, everyone has pretty much thrown in the towel and accepted another decade of this

Not one poster even tried to make a case for their team so we are either a very realistic or beaten down bunch of fans
Hey now…FUBeAR made a case for Elon (post #8)

KPSUL
June 16th, 2022, 10:59 AM

41-3 pretty much says it all. Combine that with the fact that the team that gave NDSU their biggest challenge, JMU, has now moved to the G5 Sun Belt, advocating that any one remaining team is in a position to challenge the Bison just seems like folly. What is insane is that a so totally dominant team has not moved up when there is a level of competition clearly higher. I've heard all the rationalizations for why NDSU can't or won't pursue FBS football, but the fact remains that it absurd that the NCAA doesn't have process in place to ensure a team eventually plays at the appropriate level.

Daytripper
June 16th, 2022, 11:08 AM
41-3 pretty much says it all. Combine that with the fact that the team that gave NDSU their biggest challenge, JMU, has now moved to the G5 Sun Belt, advocating that any one remaining team is in a position to challenge the Bison just seems like folly. What is insane is that a so totally dominant team has not moved up when there is a level of competition clearly higher. I've heard all the rationalizations for why NDSU can't or won't pursue FBS football, but the fact remains that it absurd that the NCAA doesn't have process in place to ensure a team eventually plays at the appropriate level.

The last team to beat NDSU in the playoffs was Sam Houston.

POD Knows
June 16th, 2022, 11:16 AM
The last team to beat NDSU in the playoffs was Sam Houston.And all three teams that beat NDSU in the playoffs won the Natty. The only remaining FCS team to beat NDSU in the playoffs is EWU.

KPSUL
June 16th, 2022, 11:29 AM

Point well taken. So both the teams that gave NDSU their biggest challenge are moving to FBS!

taper
June 16th, 2022, 01:13 PM
The NCAA in some way does have a system for the appropriate level. NDSU has the same 63 scholarships, recruiting windows, academic requirements, etc as everyone else. We generally have good to great facilities but I don't think we have the best at anything. Our enrollment is under 13k which is nothing special and we get far less money from the state than a lot of people think we do. The NCAA doesn't have a relegation system I don't think it should. Conference membership is much more than just how good you currently are at a specific sport. Point is there's no reason anybody can't build a program to challenge us, and we should be proud of schools that are doing that now. SDSU, Missouri St, Delaware, both Montanas(coming out of a down period but always respectable). Kennesaw is going to get there along with several others.

I absolutely despise people that want NDSU to either leave or be neutered. I really don't have strong enough words for how much I hate people that want to tear down others instead of improving themselves.

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Point is there's no reason anybody can't build a program to challenge us, and we should be proud of schools that are doing that now. SDSU, Missouri St, Delaware, both Montanas(coming out of a down period but always respectable). Kennesaw is going to get there along with several others.

If this is the case, why are there so few private schools that are competitive?

taper
June 16th, 2022, 01:27 PM
I'd say it's because most of them emphasize basketball over football. Not a bad financial decision for low enrollment schools, but still their decision.

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2022, 01:45 PM
I'd say it's because most of them emphasize basketball over football. Not a bad financial decision for low enrollment schools, but still their decision.

Except most of them don't. Richmond spends $2 million more on football than basketball. When was the last time you think of Holy Cross and "basketball"? When you think Furman, is it for football or basketball?

ElCid
June 16th, 2022, 01:53 PM
When you think Furman, is it for football or basketball?

Actually they have been decent at both. Probably not a good example. At least in the past. Might change. I'm not sure it is a private characteristics as much as part of a schools historic nature. Some schools have always been bigger on one or the other.

Bill
June 16th, 2022, 02:07 PM

I'd say primarily by choice and institutional "concern" for athletics, and certain programs in particular. I realize some of my other posters here do not agree with me, but I have no doubt in my mind that a school like Princeton could win the national title if they actually wanted to.

ST_Lawson
June 16th, 2022, 02:09 PM

There is no case to be made for my team at this point in time.

caribbeanhen
June 16th, 2022, 02:11 PM

True, but Sammy took some beatings vs the Bison, JMU always gave them a good game. As you've said, those blowouts made KC realize to beat them you had to build up the interior lines. Carty knows this but if Delaware or anyone else is going to compete with the Bison, getting it done somehow will be the key and it’s not going to be easy.

Daytripper
June 16th, 2022, 02:15 PM
True, but Sammy took some beatings vs the Bison, JMU always gave them a good game. As you've said, those blowouts made KC realize to beat them you had to build up the interior lines. Carty knows this but if Delaware or anyone else is going to compete with the Bison, getting it done somehow will be the key and it’s not going to be easy.

This is true, but it will always be nice to know that the last time we played the Bison at the FCS level, we won. (I hope the FBS version of SH doesn't schedule them!)

FUBeAR
June 16th, 2022, 02:22 PM
The NCAA in some way does have a system for the appropriate level. NDSU has the same 63 scholarships, recruiting windows, academic requirements, etc as everyone else. We generally have good to great facilities but I don't think we have the best at anything. Our enrollment is under 13k which is nothing special and we get far less money from the state than a lot of people think we do. The NCAA doesn't have a relegation system I don't think it should. Conference membership is much more than just how good you currently are at a specific sport. Point is there's no reason anybody can't build a program to challenge us, and we should be proud of schools that are doing that now. SDSU, Missouri St, Delaware, both Montanas(coming out of a down period but always respectable). Kennesaw is going to get there along with several others.

I absolutely despise people that want NDSU to either leave or be neutered. I really don't have strong enough words for how much I hate people that want to tear down others instead of improving themselves.
Nice post.

NDSU has certainly had some nice Jimmy’s and Joe’s, maybe a few hairs above other Top 20 FCS Teams, but, if you know Football, and you watch the Bizuns play, they clearly out X & O, by a full head & shoulders, any Team in the Subdivision.

Now, FUBeAR may have a different definition of X & O than others, as it includes everything that is not raw God-given talent - so strategy, schemes, EFFORT, play-calling, Players’ Football IQ’s, technique, and other things may fall into the “FUBeAR X & O” bucket. Furman won 1 Natty and played in 2 others relying almost solely on what we/they could scoop out of that kind of bucket, cuz we sure weren’t better, overall, than almost anyone’s “Jimmy’s & Joe’s.”

If you hire FUBeAR to Coach your FCS Team, you might as well change the colors to Green & Gold cuz we are gonna do everything we can to look & play exactly like NDSU plays…and even try to find some ways to do that even a little teeny-tiny-bit better. Yeah, FUBeAR is going to try to get the best J’s&J’s he can find (maybe we’ll adapt some Coach Prime methodologies on that front), but we know we can’t always count on having the best Players, but there is NO reason our Players can’t PLAY BETTER than your Players even if your Players are better Players. Make sense? Don’t care if it does to you or not. It does to FUBeAR and he’s lived it and seen it.

No reason for NDSU to move out of FCS if they don’t want to. Other Teams need to play better!

*One note on this though. Playing almost every playoff game in that infernal dome IS an unfair advantage and it’s up to the rest of the MVFC Teams to ensure that ish is taken away from the bizuns. Y’all have been letting the rest of FCS down in that regard. Do better!

caribbeanhen
June 16th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Hey now…FUBeAR made a case for Elon (post #8)

If that was a “case” you need to go back to law school Counselor

FUBeAR
June 16th, 2022, 03:50 PM
If that was a “case” you need to go back to law school Counselor
So you don’t think the summation tagline…

”Staying somewhat in the game last year vs. the SoCon’s [otherwise winless] caboose clearly qualifies Elon as a contender for this year’s CAA Championship…”…

…is as strong as…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_apIbmsUwU

UNHWildcat18
June 16th, 2022, 04:09 PM

I've been saying that on our UNH board and here for quite some time. A handful of teams can definitely compete with the bison.........at every position except OL/DL....They are just overall larger and stronger.

When Carty was at UNH the offense performed well but had some horrible choices of plays in key moments. I hope he's learned, but overall UD will get much better in the next few years IMO

SUPharmacist
June 16th, 2022, 06:36 PM
No reason for NDSU to move out of FCS if they don’t want to. Other Teams need to play better!

*One note on this though. Playing almost every playoff game in that infernal dome IS an unfair advantage and it’s up to the rest of the MVFC Teams to ensure that ish is taken away from the bizuns. Y’all have been letting the rest of FCS down in that regard. Do better!

I don't think we agree on much, but I have nothing but respect for programs and fans that just want to improve. I would love to have a future game with Mercer.

FUBeAR
June 16th, 2022, 08:26 PM
I don't think we agree on much, but I have nothing but respect for programs and fans that just want to improve. I would love to have a future game with Mercer.
Mercer, Furman, or any other SoCon Team can’t afford to schedule challenging FCS games, really. The Playoff Selection Committee doesn’t care if a SoCon Team goes into Fargo, give the Bizuns all they want for 4 quarters and loses on a late, missed FG. That’s just another L (1) in their eyes…that is going to go with the very likely L (2) that comes from playing Alabama or Clemson…and then with 9 SoCon Teams that, honestly, really could beat each other on AGS(aturday), you gotta figure at least 1 SoCon L (3), but probably gonna catch another in-conference L (4) also…and a 7-4 SoCon Team doesn’t get their name called on Selection Sunday. We ain’t UNI, y’know!

No thanks - give FUBeAR a Drake W or Valpo W or a Dixie State W instead and an almost sure Playoff bid @ 8-3, maybe 9-2.

Would love to play those games in reality, but until the selection committee starts digging in deep vs. only looking at records, accepting bogus polls, and relying on computer programs with built-in circular logic, schedule for record; not for fans of great Football.

SUPharmacist
June 16th, 2022, 08:59 PM
Mercer, Furman, or any other SoCon Team can’t afford to schedule challenging FCS games, really.

I get it, every program has to do whats in their best interest. That is why I understand the choice the HBCUs make to maximize fan interest and revenue through their classics and the celebration bowl. Although in the long run I think it may be better for those teams and the FCS in general to have them in the playoffs.

However, screw the Ivies. Their administrations just don't want to run the risk that they won't measure up against the 2nd tier of college football. It's a shame as I think their top teams could be competitive and I think the players and coaches want the challenge.

That is the delight of the FCS playoffs for the conferences that participate. At a minimum the autobid from every conference is at least given a chance. While running the gauntlet on the road for teams from 'weaker' conferences is a real challenge, solid performance will hopefully lead to better chances in the future and a trancendent team could overcome.

bonarae
June 16th, 2022, 09:29 PM
I get it, every program has to do whats in their best interest. That is why I understand the choice the HBCUs make to maximize fan interest and revenue through their classics and the celebration bowl. Although in the long run I think it may be better for those teams and the FCS in general to have them in the playoffs.

However, screw the Ivies. Their administrations just don't want to run the risk that they won't measure up against the 2nd tier of college football. It's a shame as I think their top teams could be competitive and I think the players and coaches want the challenge.

That is the delight of the FCS playoffs for the conferences that participate. At a minimum the autobid from every conference is at least given a chance. While running the gauntlet on the road for teams from 'weaker' conferences is a real challenge, solid performance will hopefully lead to better chances in the future and a trancendent team could overcome.

I agree with those points. But if the NCAA forces their hand on the HBCU and Ivy Presidents and force their conferences' champions to play in the playoffs or risk losing affiliation, what would their responses be? xchinscratchx

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2022, 09:34 PM
I agree with those points. But if the NCAA forces their hand on the HBCU and Ivy Presidents and force their conferences' champions to play in the playoffs or risk losing affiliation, what would their responses be? xchinscratchx

The NCAA can't agree on a rule book right now, but what does "risk losing affiliation" mean? There are plenty of nonaffiliated teams just short of club status regularly playing NCAA teams, from Virginia-Lynchburg to North American University to Lincoln College.

If you propose the NCAA somehow ban them from all NCAA opponents, and that's a reach given how little they invest in the FCS, The Ivies would have a seven game schedule and do just fine.

bonarae
June 16th, 2022, 09:43 PM
The NCAA can't agree on a rule book right now, but what does "risk losing affiliation" mean? There are plenty of nonaffiliated teams just short of club status regularly playing NCAA teams, from Virginia-Lynchburg to North American University to Lincoln College.

If you propose the NCAA somehow ban them from all NCAA opponents, and that's a reach given how little they invest in the FCS, The Ivies would have a seven game schedule and do just fine.

The quote I suggested is that if they "risk losing affiliation with the FCS", which is quite a long shot, the Ivies will relegate themselves to a NESCAC-type or club-level schedule. If they get relegated from the FCS, I prefer moving on from them and cheer for actual playoff-participating teams. xsighx

Sir William
June 16th, 2022, 10:15 PM
Mercer, Furman, or any other SoCon Team can’t afford to schedule challenging FCS games, really. The Playoff Selection Committee doesn’t care if a SoCon Team goes into Fargo, give the Bizuns all they want for 4 quarters and loses on a late, missed FG. That’s just another L (1) in their eyes…that is going to go with the very likely L (2) that comes from playing Alabama or Clemson…and then with 9 SoCon Teams that, honestly, really could beat each other on AGS(aturday), you gotta figure at least 1 SoCon L (3), but probably gonna catch another in-conference L (4) also…and a 7-4 SoCon Team doesn’t get their name called on Selection Sunday. We ain’t UNI, y’know!

No thanks - give FUBeAR a Drake W or Valpo W or a Dixie State W instead and an almost sure Playoff bid @ 8-3, maybe 9-2.

Would love to play those games in reality, but until the selection committee starts digging in deep vs. only looking at records, accepting bogus polls, and relying on computer programs with built-in circular logic, schedule for record; not for fans of great Football.

Well said.

Daytripper
June 17th, 2022, 08:16 AM
I've been saying that on our UNH board and here for quite some time. A handful of teams can definitely compete with the bison.........at every position except OL/DL....They are just overall larger and stronger.

When Carty was at UNH the offense performed well but had some horrible choices of plays in key moments. I hope he's learned, but overall UD will get much better in the next few years IMO

He has not learned.

caribbeanhen
June 17th, 2022, 08:59 AM
He has not learned.

C’mon now DT, you guys were putting up 70 points a game

Mfergy4
June 17th, 2022, 10:07 AM
Nice post.

NDSU has certainly had some nice Jimmy’s and Joe’s, maybe a few hairs above other Top 20 FCS Teams, but, if you know Football, and you watch the Bizuns play, they clearly out X & O, by a full head & shoulders, any Team in the Subdivision.

Now, FUBeAR may have a different definition of X & O than others, as it includes everything that is not raw God-given talent - so strategy, schemes, EFFORT, play-calling, Players’ Football IQ’s, technique, and other things may fall into the “FUBeAR X & O” bucket. Furman won 1 Natty and played in 2 others relying almost solely on what we/they could scoop out of that kind of bucket, cuz we sure weren’t better, overall, than almost anyone’s “Jimmy’s & Joe’s.”

If you hire FUBeAR to Coach your FCS Team, you might as well change the colors to Green & Gold cuz we are gonna do everything we can to look & play exactly like NDSU plays…and even try to find some ways to do that even a little teeny-tiny-bit better. Yeah, FUBeAR is going to try to get the best J’s&J’s he can find (maybe we’ll adapt some Coach Prime methodologies on that front), but we know we can’t always count on having the best Players, but there is NO reason our Players can’t PLAY BETTER than your Players even if your Players are better Players. Make sense? Don’t care if it does to you or not. It does to FUBeAR and he’s lived it and seen it.

FUBeAR - you get it. Football comes down to very basic things of scheme's, execution, and play reads. If you do not teach these to your player I do not care how great you are athletically, you are going to get beat. Players on the field of play need to 1] know what to look for in those final few seconds before the ball is snapped; 2] Recognize what they are seeing, and 3] then executing the on-field adjustments needed to make the play a success. Whether you are the QB, O-linesmen, or Defensive Back. All have reads that need to be made, play call adjustments needed to be decided upon, and communicating with the other players on the necessary adjustments are all BIG keys to a successful play completion. Football is as much a brain task as it is a physical task.

caribbeanhen
June 17th, 2022, 01:58 PM
FUBeAR - you get it. Football comes down to very basic things of scheme's, execution, and play reads. If you do not teach these to your player I do not care how great you are athletically, you are going to get beat. Players on the field of play need to 1] know what to look for in those final few seconds before the ball is snapped; 2] Recognize what they are seeing, and 3] then executing the on-field adjustments needed to make the play a success. Whether you are the QB, O-linesmen, or Defensive Back. All have reads that need to be made, play call adjustments needed to be decided upon, and communicating with the other players on the necessary adjustments are all BIG keys to a successful play completion. Football is as much a brain task as it is a physical task.

I would say all that is true up to a point but none of these super coaches are volunteering to go to Dover, Delaware and take over Delaware state.

They recruit hard for a reason

Any average coach can call an average play but it’s talent that takes it all the way

Nothing was more evident than this when Jaquez Ezzard broke out the cape and beat North Dakota State, but sure the coaches won that game for recruiting him

KPSUL
June 17th, 2022, 02:49 PM

To me all the criticism Carty got at both UNH and SHSU was a mystery. You can't out-think'em every play, but he seemed to do it enough times to be very successful at both programs.

NDSU1980
June 17th, 2022, 06:12 PM
I would love to hire you as the NDSU athletic director. We fans (most fans) are ready to move up. Just a few narrow minded individuals that won't cooperate.

caribbeanhen
June 18th, 2022, 09:49 AM
To me all the criticism Carty got at both UNH and SHSU was a mystery. You can't out-think'em every play, but he seemed to do it enough times to be very successful at both programs.

Well stated, the only example I’ve seen is the swinging gate...

Carty will be calling the plays as the head coach

Daytripper
June 18th, 2022, 09:54 AM

I know we had a great offense and Carty played a huge role in that....but, he chose to get clever (hello, swinging gate!!) at the most inopportune and head-scratching points in a game (down late deep in North Dakota territory, for one). I don't have all of the games memorized, but I could probably argue that while he won us a bunch of games with play calling within the normal flow of the game (he is really good at adjusting on the fly), he lost us at least 3-4 games by calling idiotic trick plays late in games or at other pivotal moments.

caribbeanhen
June 20th, 2022, 09:09 AM
I know we had a great offense and Carty played a huge role in that....but, he chose to get clever (hello, swinging gate!!) at the most inopportune and head-scratching points in a game (down late deep in North Dakota territory, for one). I don't have all of the games memorized, but I could probably argue that while he won us a bunch of games with play calling within the normal flow of the game (he is really good at adjusting on the fly), he lost us at least 3-4 games by calling idiotic trick plays late in games or at other pivotal moments.

When the chips were down in your national championship game, the Ryan Carty lead offense executed the biggest drive in the history of the Sam Houston State football. That’s really all that matters!

Daytripper
June 20th, 2022, 09:40 AM
When the chips were down in your national championship game, the Ryan Carty lead offense executed the biggest drive in the history of the Sam Houston State football. That’s really all that matters!

This is true.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2022, 10:15 AM
I’m sticking by my prediction

you guys better get ready for what’s gonna happen in Newark this year

But I must say, this thread is really not about 2022, it’s more about the next decade.

FUBeAR
August 12th, 2022, 10:18 AM
I’m sticking by my prediction

you guys better get ready for what’s gonna happen in Newark this year

But I must say, this thread is really not about 2022, it’s more about the next decade.
So…we can expect the Diamond State Yardbirds to be good again in 2032?

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2022, 10:34 AM
So…we can expect the Diamond State Yardbirds to be good again in 2032?

it’s happening as we speak

Recruiting like its 2022 for starters and all made easier by the state of the art WAC....

Henny
August 12th, 2022, 12:11 PM
it’s happening as we speak

Recruiting like its 2022 for starters and all made easier by the state of the art WAC....

Carib, not making any bold predictions but it's sounding like the 65 Million dollar Whitney Athletic Center was just a start. Phase two will be an 80 Million building in the North End Zone that will house a new indoor practice facility and coaches offices and meeting rooms.

We are getting the commitment from the admin. Let's hope Carty is the right guy. I think he is.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Carib, not making any bold predictions but it's sounding like the 65 Million dollar Whitney Athletic Center was just a start. Phase two will be an 80 Million building in the North End Zone that will house a new indoor practice facility and coaches offices and meeting rooms.

We are getting the commitment from the admin. Let's hope Carty is the right guy. I think he is.

You can leave the bold predictions to me Henny, I have nothing to lose. But make no mistake, you are the brains behind this prediction 😂

speaking of predictions, HR might need a reminder about that gohens pick ems, The ones you always win

UNHWildcat18
August 12th, 2022, 12:44 PM

Think you will expand seating in that endzone? I remember old drawings of the north Endzone having a bowl enclosure seating.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2022, 01:18 PM
Think you will expand seating in that endzone? I remember old drawings of the north Endzone having a bowl enclosure seating.

you remember those... wow

they were under a different regime a long time ago, The seating capacity of Delaware stadium was decreased somewhat with the recent Stadium renovations. I don’t think there is any plan to do so right now.

Tribal
August 12th, 2022, 08:16 PM
Key to being a FCS Powerhouse:

Isolated campus far away from competing funness

Admissions Dept gives the thumbs up across the board

Students/fans who are happy to pay for whatever the program wants

Go...gate
August 13th, 2022, 01:23 AM

I love Princeton Stadium, but I still miss old Palmer Stadium.

Henny
August 13th, 2022, 08:35 AM
you remember those... wow

they were under a different regime a long time ago, The seating capacity of Delaware stadium was decreased somewhat with the recent Stadium renovations. I don’t think there is any plan to do so right now.

Correct, no more bowled in North End Zone. Not sure how they would add seats to the stadium. Maybe that's in a future plan but phase two will be for more football facilities.

UNHWildcat18
August 13th, 2022, 09:32 AM
Correct, no more bowled in North End Zone. Not sure how they would add seats to the stadium. Maybe that's in a future plan but phase two will be for more football facilities.

Yeah just figured if they plan to put a building outside the north endzone, many teams use that to build seating in the north endzone as well and bowl it in. Stinks that wont happen though, but even then it will feel more enclosed. Just not sure how the FBS plan really works without the ability to add any seating in that endzone.

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2022, 06:00 PM
The poor showing by FCS teams on Saturday gives this prognostication a little more fuel

The Yo Show
August 29th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Poor showing? Austin Peay played a good game against WKU. Florida State is a tough out. FAMU had how many ineligible players and still looked ok against UNC? I mean I'm not trying to sugar coat anything, but I don't think this past weekend looked all that bad for the FCS.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2022, 07:05 PM
Poor showing? Austin Peay played a good game against WKU. Florida State is a tough out. FAMU had how many ineligible players and still looked ok against UNC? I mean I'm not trying to sugar coat anything, but I don't think this past weekend looked all that bad for the FCS.
Completely disagree on the FAMU situation. That is a complete embarrassment for the division regardless of their play on the field

The Yo Show
August 29th, 2022, 08:16 PM
Completely disagree on the FAMU situation. That is a complete embarrassment for the division regardless of their play on the field

Yes, I do think that was an embarrassment for the FCS, should have never happened.

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2022, 09:00 PM

Let’s see what happens this weekend

KPSUL
August 29th, 2022, 10:42 PM

Austin Peay certainly played like they belonged on the same field with WKU; however, if you saw the graphic that was put up on TV early in the game highlighting how frequently WKU has lost to FCS teams it puts AP's performance in perspective. As far as quality P5 FBS teams playing FCS games, it almost always depends on how hard and for how long the P5 team keeps its foot on the gas peddle. I wouldn't make any definitive decisions on the FCS teams playing P5 games we saw this past weekend.

Daytripper
September 4th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Why not Delaware, indeed?

Great win over Navy. Great F bomb by Carty. It came across as genuine and in good spirit. Happy for him to get the scalp.

Gangtackle11
September 4th, 2022, 03:41 PM
It’s been reported to be below sea level?

One win over an offensively challenged AAC team does not make this thread worthy.

Plus major resistance sits annually on the 3rd week of November for the U of New-ark.

Enjoy your win. You were giddy about Rocco then ran him out on a rail. Carty is a NJ native & U of New-ark grad. Anything less than an F-bomb is unacceptable with that combo.

xpeacex

JacksFan40
September 4th, 2022, 09:38 PM
It’s been reported to be below sea level?

One win over an offensively challenged AAC team does not make this thread worthy.

Plus major resistance sits annually on the 3rd week of November for the U of New-ark.

Enjoy your win. You were giddy about Rocco then ran him out on a rail. Carty is a NJ native & U of New-ark grad. Anything less than an F-bomb is unacceptable with that combo.

xpeacex
I think Nova should be more worried about the service academy they have to play then a game that’s not for 2 months.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2022, 09:03 AM

I’m sticking to what I said, a poor opening week for FCS all around minus my Bluehens and the Tribe

The bottom half of FCS is almost unwatchable at this point. I say that knowing the reason I say that is because I’m watching more more now than I used to before...

MUHAWKS
September 5th, 2022, 09:21 AM
I’m sticking to what I said, a poor opening week for FCS all around minus my Bluehens and the Tribe

The bottom half of FCS is almost unwatchable at this point. I say that knowing the reason I say that is because I’m watching more more now than I used to before...

I think we need to quantify first, just how much weight "we" put into FBS. I use "we" in quotes b/c it is clear that a layman, or even the committee looks at it very positively regardless of the situation. But there are some very savvy fans on here who know that the bottom 30 ish teams (and maybe more) are on par with ad in some cases worse then the top 20 FCS teams. I would even go as far to say that a middle of the road FBS (say 60-70 ranked) is not a huge difference. And the very bottom of FBS is flat out just worse than the FCS top 10, maybe the top 20 and even 30-40 ranked type teams can compete.

Let me give you an example using my team, Monmouth or the team we played, UNH. If week 1 we had lost to Bryant or St Francis people would be like "wow same old mediocre inconsistent crap". Even though SF and Bryant are not bad teams, but you get my drift? Yet they go and take 2 FBS teams to OT and its like "ahh whatever"-- We put more weight in a "supposed" good FCS losing to a "lesser" FCS than we do to that lesser FCS going and playing an even game with dog sht FBS... which says a lot IMO..

I would argue Delaware beating Navy was more predictable than had Delaware played Mercer, William and Mary etc etc..There is a fair amount of psychology and the like that goes into week 1 fcs/fbs- Delaware to a man probably has the better athletes and players..

I guess I do not have a great point other than to say it is hard to win football games, period. I watched so many FCS players go to FBS and look very good, like they belonged, it is truly hard to judge stuff these days I think. Meaning- Delaware may lose a game this year to a average CAA team, and Navy may beat a decent FBS team but that does not mean the team Del lost to would beat Navy or not get smoked by the team Navy may beat? Its week to week, situational, but I feel like the FCS had a decent showing. Even though they were losses, 2 NEC teams took FBS to OT.. Nobody here gives the NE too much credit and especially not a team that is perhaps middle of the road NEC..

MUHAWKS
September 5th, 2022, 09:29 AM

Hey I guess I take back what I said b/ I see now you posted what you did after week 0- so my bad..

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Hey I guess I take back what I said b/ I see now you posted what you did after week 0- so my bad..

ha

Well when I was reading your long winded good post, I was saying dude I’ve been saying this forever... At least for the most part

My key point was the bottom half of FCS is becoming unwatchable

And certainly the top 30 or so FCS teams are just as good or better than the bottom 30 FBS teams

MUHAWKS
September 5th, 2022, 10:01 AM
ha

Well when I was reading your long winded good post, I was saying dude I’ve been saying this forever... At least for the most part

My key point was the bottom half of FCS is becoming unwatchable

And certainly the top 30 or so FCS teams are just as good or better than the bottom 30 FBS teams

Fair enough but also is in the eye of the beholder- As a UD fan you EXPECT to compete for a National title, you have been there and have the ability to be there in a given year. You would be upset @ 6-5 or 7-4 and no playoffs.. Whereas when you say bottom half I guess I would say bottom 25% b/c in that bottom half would be teams like Monmouth, an Ivy or two, Fordham, a good NEC team and those types to ME are still exciting and every ow and then step up and do well. But yeah I think I am with you..

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2022, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=MUHAWKS;3070264]I think we need to quantify first, just how much weight "we" put into FBS. I use "we" in quotes b/c it is clear that a layman, or even the committee looks at it very positively regardless of the situation. But there are some very savvy fans on here who know that the bottom 30 ish teams (and maybe more) are on par with ad in some cases worse then the top 20 FCS teams. I would even go as far to say that a middle of the road FBS (say 60-70 ranked) is not a huge difference. And the very bottom of FBS is flat out just worse than the FCS top 10, maybe the top 20 and even 30-40 ranked type teams can compete.

Let me give you an example using my team, Monmouth or the team we played, UNH. If week 1 we had lost to Bryant or St Francis people would be like "wow same old mediocre inconsistent crap". Even though SF and Bryant are not bad teams, but you get my drift? Yet they go and take 2 FBS teams to OT and its like "ahh whatever"-- We put more weight in a "supposed" good FCS losing to a "lesser" FCS than we do to that lesser FCS going and playing an even game with dog sht FBS... which says a lot IMO..

I would argue Delaware beating Navy was more predictable than had Delaware played Mercer, William and Mary etc etc..There is a fair amount of psychology and the like that goes into week 1 fcs/fbs- Delaware to a man probably has the better athletes and players..

I guess I do not have a great point other than to say it is hard to win football games, period. I watched so many FCS players go to FBS and look very good, like they belonged, it is truly hard to judge stuff these days I think. Meaning- Delaware may lose a game this year to a average CAA team, and Navy may beat a decent FBS team but that does not mean the team Del lost to would beat Navy or not get smoked by the team Navy may beat? Its week to week, situational, but I feel like the FCS had a decent showing. Even though they were losses, 2 NEC teams took FBS to OT.. Nobody here gives the NE too much credit and especially not a team that is perhaps middle of the road NEC..[/QUOTE

NAVY WON 4 GAMES IN 2021.....DEY LOST 4 GAMES BY 8 POINTS OR LESS......11 OF 12 TEAMS NAVY PLAYED......WENT TO BOWL GAMES.....MOST PICKERS.....WENT WHIFF NAVY....IN DUH CAA PICK GAME....KNOWIN' DIS INFO GOIN' IN.....AH WENT WHIFF NAVY.....WOOD BE VERAH HARD TA PREDICT UH DELAWARE DUBBYA.....(NEW COACH/OFFENSE).....'CEPTIN' AN OUTRIGHT HOMER PICK.......BUT IT WOOD BE VERAH HARD TA PREDICT MERCER/BILL & MARE ALSO........DAT'S WHAA WE LOOK AT DUH SKEDS FO' TRAPS AN' STUFF....INJURIES......TURMOIL @ UH SKOOL....MAGNETIC FIELDS.......UH ET FLY-BY.......FO' AN EDGE.......IT'S STILL UH GUESSIN' GAME.....AWK!

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Fair enough but also is in the eye of the beholder- As a UD fan you EXPECT to compete for a National title, you have been there and have the ability to be there in a given year. You would be upset @ 6-5 or 7-4 and no playoffs.. Whereas when you say bottom half I guess I would say bottom 25% b/c in that bottom half would be teams like Monmouth, an Ivy or two, Fordham, a good NEC team and those types to ME are still exciting and every ow and then step up and do well. But yeah I think I am with you..

No, Fordham and Monmouth are watchable teams

By the way, that’s one of the games I’ll be watching this weekend

POD Knows
September 5th, 2022, 11:37 AM
I think we need to quantify first, just how much weight "we" put into FBS. I use "we" in quotes b/c it is clear that a layman, or even the committee looks at it very positively regardless of the situation. But there are some very savvy fans on here who know that the bottom 30 ish teams (and maybe more) are on par with ad in some cases worse then the top 20 FCS teams. I would even go as far to say that a middle of the road FBS (say 60-70 ranked) is not a huge difference. And the very bottom of FBS is flat out just worse than the FCS top 10, maybe the top 20 and even 30-40 ranked type teams can compete.

I guess I do not have a great point other than to say it is hard to win football games, period. I watched so many FCS players go to FBS and look very good, like they belonged, it is truly hard to judge stuff these days I think. Meaning- Delaware may lose a game this year to a average CAA team, and Navy may beat a decent FBS team but that does not mean the team Del lost to would beat Navy or not get smoked by the team Navy may beat? Its week to week, situational, but I feel like the FCS had a decent showing. Even though they were losses, 2 NEC teams took FBS to OT.. Nobody here gives the NE too much credit and especially not a team that is perhaps middle of the road NEC..
This. And I am starting to penalize these early FCS poll leaders for losses to the bottom feeders at the G5 level and maybe the bottoms feeders at the P5 levels. There is some pretty bad football being played at the FBS level and giving a high rated FCS a pass for losing to a Charlotte, UConn, Vandy or a bunch of others may not be sound.

MUHAWKS
September 5th, 2022, 12:39 PM
No, Fordham and Monmouth are watchable teams

By the way, that’s one of the games I’ll be watching this weekend

Yep- it is interesting. I have been telling my fellow MU fans for weeks watch out for the Fordham game regardless of how we fare against UNH. This Fordham team is a squad who mentally feels they have "arrived". It is their time to dethrone Holy Cross and just be thought of as a top 25 type team. They have 3 CAA teams and an FBS on schedule and I am 100% sure they are NOT just trying to win the PL but beat CAA teams and gain more of a national prominence. NO EXCUSES at all but man they types of teams Fordham is bringing in are dangerous. High powered, passing offense that takes shots led by NFL caliber QB. We had ZERO pass rush against UNH and if and when we start to blitz The Rams it worries me.. A couple big plays and Fordham goes up 17-3 or something and then BOOM , the doubt begins to creep in like "wow we thought we would be good we cannot go 0-2 with a loss to a PL team (not downplaying PL at all but supposed to win this game)... I honestly believe this is one of the biggest games in the history of our program b/c if we lose it could really set off a downward spiral- But if we win, I think Fordham in the end will be looked at as a good team and we go 1-1 with Georgetown the comin in the next week, all things being equal that is a win and just like that we are 2-1, have some confidence, the UNH debacle in rear view mirror as we travel to Philly with nothing to lose to try and take down Nova. Football can be a mental game (so long as talent is relatively equal) and believe me having been a part of Monmouth Football for 25 years, attitude matter for us- momentum, etc stuff like that Partly b/c every time we think we have "arrived" we get shut down (Northern Iowa and JMU playoff games and last year vs KSU)... so now we are back to trying to prove ourselves and 0-2 would be very bad- I am not saying this b/c we are playing them but I think Fordham is one of those sneaky good teams this year that can beat HC and make playoffs and with that offense maybe even make noise. with that said if we want to be taken seriously this is a must win..

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2022, 12:48 PM
Yep- it is interesting. I have been telling my fellow MU fans for weeks watch out for the Fordham game regardless of how we fare against UNH. This Fordham team is a squad who mentally feels they have "arrived". It is their time to dethrone Holy Cross and just be thought of as a top 25 type team. They have 3 CAA teams and an FBS on schedule and I am 100% sure they are NOT just trying to win the PL but beat CAA teams and gain more of a national prominence. NO EXCUSES at all but man they types of teams Fordham is bringing in are dangerous. High powered, passing offense that takes shots led by NFL caliber QB. We had ZERO pass rush against UNH and if and when we start to blitz The Rams it worries me.. A couple big plays and Fordham goes up 17-3 or something and then BOOM , the doubt begins to creep in like "wow we thought we would be good we cannot go 0-2 with a loss to a PL team (not downplaying PL at all but supposed to win this game)... I honestly believe this is one of the biggest games in the history of our program b/c if we lose it could really set off a downward spiral- But if we win, I think Fordham in the end will be looked at as a good team and we go 1-1 with Georgetown the comin in the next week, all things being equal that is a win and just like that we are 2-1, have some confidence, the UNH debacle in rear view mirror as we travel to Philly with nothing to lose to try and take down Nova. Football can be a mental game (so long as talent is relatively equal) and believe me having been a part of Monmouth Football for 25 years, attitude matter for us- momentum, etc stuff like that Partly b/c every time we think we have "arrived" we get shut down (Northern Iowa and JMU playoff games and last year vs KSU)... so now we are back to trying to prove ourselves and 0-2 would be very bad- I am not saying this b/c we are playing them but I think Fordham is one of those sneaky good teams this year that can beat HC and make playoffs and with that offense maybe even make noise. with that said if we want to be taken seriously this is a must win..

.....YER GONNA NEED........STOMACH LININ' MEDS......IFIN' YA GO THRU DIS ALL SEASON.....xsighx....AWK!

KPSUL
September 5th, 2022, 03:23 PM

.....YER GONNA NEED........STOMACH LININ' MEDS......IFIN' YA GO THRU DIS ALL SEASON.....xsighx....AWK!

Yep, the poor lad is a bit too invested.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Yep, the poor lad is a bit too invested.

need more like him

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2022, 04:47 PM
...MAYBE....INTRODUCE HIM...TA DUH......YOUNGSTOWN COUPLE.............:D:p:D.......BRAWK!

paward
September 5th, 2022, 08:48 PM
Why not?

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 08:17 AM
Why not?

nobody has answered that question yet

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2022, 08:26 AM
WHY NOT DELAWARE?.....ROLY POLYS/FG KICKER.....&....CARTY.......HAS UH GAMBLIN' PROBLEM.........xcoolx...........AWK!

Daytripper
September 6th, 2022, 08:40 AM
nobody has answered that question yet

If there is an answer to this question it probably includes the phrase "swinging gate."

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 08:44 AM
If there is an answer to this question it probably includes the phrase "swinging gate."

But the question really wasn’t about this year, it was who is the best FCS team primed to take down the Bizon realm over the next several years... or at least compete with them like JMU did

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 08:48 AM
WHY NOT DELAWARE?.....ROLY POLYS/FG KICKER.....&....CARTY.......HAS UH GAMBLIN' PROBLEM.........xcoolx...........AWK!

I think the biggest problem for Carty will be how to get the kind of players he needs on that Oline to compete with a few Midwest teams...Nova too Of course

Daytripper
September 6th, 2022, 08:49 AM
But the question really wasn’t about this year, it was who is the best FCS team primed to take down the Bizon realm over the next several years... or at least compete with them like JMU did

The Hens are certainly capable of becoming that team that competes with the Bison, but they will never get over the hump because when the Hens are down by 4 at the Bison 15 yard line with 39 seconds left Carty will call the Swinging Gate. Then, something bad will happen.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 08:54 AM
The Hens are certainly capable of becoming that team that competes with the Bison, but they will never get over the hump because when the Hens are down by 4 at the Bison 15 yard line with 39 seconds left Carty will call the Swinging Gate. Then, something bad will happen.

His playcalling has already caught the attention of the blue hen faithful, in a FBS win game

But he did manage to beat the Bizon in the 2021 playoffs, so if anybody left in FCS knows how to beat em ...it’s him

I saw one of his plays where he lined up three receivers wide left and three receivers wide right leaving 4 on the OL

it was a play down on the goal line.... Not sure if that’s the swinging gate or not

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2022, 09:07 AM
WE NEED CORN-FED BEEF....DAT OWN-LAH IS RAISED ON DUH PRAIRIE...........BRAWK!

CAN WE GET 'EM TA....LEAVE DUH RANGE....&....HOOK 'EM ON GROTTO'S...........................DOODLE-DOO!

Daytripper
September 6th, 2022, 09:11 AM
His playcalling has already caught the attention of the blue hen faithful, in a FBS win game

But he did manage to beat the Bizon in the 2021 playoffs, so if anybody left in FCS knows how to beat em ...it’s him

I saw one of his plays where he lined up three receivers wide left and three receivers wide right leaving 4 on the OL

it was a play down on the goal line.... Not sure if that’s the swinging gate or not

This is it. the center, QB and RB/WR are in the middle of the field. The offensive line is positioned out wide with a WR behind them.
https://thirddowndraw.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/swinging-gate.jpg

KPSUL
September 6th, 2022, 09:59 AM

I've seen other teams do the same - UNH last year for one. (ask me how that worked for us) The reason a penalty was called for "illegal formation" was that the three players lined up to the far right of the center/QB were almost a yard behind the line of scrimmage. At least two of them were O-Linemen.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 10:30 AM
This is it. the center, QB and RB/WR are in the middle of the field. The offensive line is positioned out wide with a WR behind them.

oh thanks !

well it sure is original, Does Carty take credit for inventing this?

Daytripper
September 6th, 2022, 10:37 AM
oh thanks !

well it sure is original, Does Carty take credit for inventing this?

No. It's been around a while. You usually only see it in Jr. High games.

Libertine
September 6th, 2022, 03:32 PM

It's fairly common for teams at all non-NFL levels to initially line up in this formation for XP attempts with the holder at the QB spot and the kicker at the RB spot just to see if there's a mismatch available or if the defense is unprepared. The center is allowed to snap it to anyone in the backfield, including sideways to the back behind the line so there's a variety of play calls you can make out of it. But, 90 times out of a 100, the offense will simply motion back into the standard FG formation and kick it; it's always fun when they don't though.

The Yo Show
September 6th, 2022, 03:43 PM
carribeanhen, I stand corrected. Why not Delaware indeed

Daytripper
September 6th, 2022, 04:20 PM
It's fairly common for teams at all non-NFL levels to initially line up in this formation for XP attempts with the holder at the QB spot and the kicker at the RB spot just to see if there's a mismatch available or if the defense is unprepared. The center is allowed to snap it to anyone in the backfield, including sideways to the back behind the line so there's a variety of play calls you can make out of it. But, 90 times out of a 100, the offense will simply motion back into the standard FG formation and kick it; it's always fun when they don't though.

Unless it is your team and they ARE NOT going for an XP but instead line up during a game winning drive on the road deep in the opponent's territory...and run the play. It failed, of course.

Gangtackle11
September 6th, 2022, 04:26 PM
I think Nova should be more worried about the service academy they have to play then a game that’s not for 2 months.

Its an FBS game. Win it & u get giddy (sans NDSU). Its about the CAA & hopefully the FCS playoffs. Last time Nova won an FBS was 2018 over a bowl bound Temple team. Last time they beat Temple was the season they won it all. We were thinking they would go far and they went 5-6 with some bad CAA losses.

Army win would be nice, but certainly nothing to worry about win or lose. Excited to see a game there and the pageantry of West Point.

xpeacex

KPSUL
September 6th, 2022, 04:32 PM
Its an FBS game. Win it & u get giddy (sans NDSU). Its about the CAA & hopefully the FCS playoffs. Last time Nova won an FBS was 2018 over a bowl bound Temple team. Last time they beat Temple was the season they won it all. We were thinking they would go far and they went 5-6 with some bad CAA losses.

Army win would be nice, but certainly nothing to worry about win or lose. Excited to see a game there and the pageantry of West Point.

xpeacex

After beating Virginia Tech in 2010, JMU preceded to lose 5 CAA conference games.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 07:10 PM
carribeanhen, I stand corrected. Why not Delaware indeed

what did you say?

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 07:13 PM

Well as you already know Carty comes from a coaching family, his father is a High school legend in the state of New Jersey.

NY Crusader 2010
September 6th, 2022, 07:21 PM
After beating Virginia Tech in 2010, JMU preceded to lose 5 CAA conference games.

And this was a Top 25 Virginia Tech team. I believe at the time JMU was only the 2nd FCS team to beat an AP Top 25 ranked team, with the first obviously being App State over #5 Michigan in 2007.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 09:44 PM
I've seen other teams do the same - UNH last year for one. (ask me how that worked for us) The reason a penalty was called for "illegal formation" was that the three players lined up to the far right of the center/QB were almost a yard behind the line of scrimmage. At least two of them were O-Linemen.

Yep, there was only three offensive lineman, QB and a running back, three WR split wide left and three split wide right and you’re right, initially on the right side it was 1 WR and 2 OL went over there before the snap. They didn’t look too happy about it

They ran it twice, one of them got called for a penalty. It appeared to me that Navy actually scouted Delaware (SHS games) very well

HensRock
September 7th, 2022, 11:55 AM

The last 2 times Delaware has beaten Navy, they have gone to the NC game.
2003 W (Colgate)
2007 L (App State)

KPSUL
September 7th, 2022, 12:59 PM
2003 W (Colgate)
2007 L (App State)

I don't expect Delaware to lose 5 conference games, but there is no assurance that winning a FBS game will lead to a very successful season. Best of luck though !

2010 was probably the high point of CAA prowess.

Daytripper
September 7th, 2022, 02:14 PM
2003 W (Colgate)
2007 L (App State)

Anything is possible. You have to stay healthy and get most all of the lucky breaks.

Gangtackle11
September 9th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Anything is possible. You have to stay healthy and get most all of the lucky breaks.

Yes especially if Villanova doesn’t show for their final regular season game.

xpeacex

Libertine
September 9th, 2022, 03:26 PM
And this was a Top 25 Virginia Tech team. I believe at the time JMU was only the 2nd FCS team to beat an AP Top 25 ranked team, with the first obviously being App State over #5 Michigan in 2007.

VT was #13 in the AP poll that day having just lost a squeaker to #3 Boise State in a Monday night neutral site game just five days before. Playing an in-state top-25 FCS team having had maybe two practice (one practices is more likely) when your team wasn't an offensive powerhouse to begin with may be the single dumbest scheduling decision in the history of college football.

Interestingly, VT didn't lose again that calendar year, winning eleven straight before getting blown out by Stanford in the Orange Bowl. But, losing to an FCS team weighed down their ranking and they never climbed above #12.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2022, 08:50 PM
FCS fans outside of Fargo have not had much to cheer about over what is now entering a second decade.

What North Dakota State has done over the past 12 years is unprecedented and very special but you know what ....I’ve had enough ....I can’t put up with it anymore (SPM 1978)

With the recent hiring of Ryan Carty, a fresh breeze is blowing into Newark, Delaware. A back up Delaware quarterback who played on the 2003 national championship team under his mentor KC Keeler and later was hired by KC as OC at Sam Houston. Ironically, he beat out KC for the job.

Carty wasted no time recognizing that Delaware needed a big talent upgrade if they were serious about winning and competing with the best teams in FCS. You could back up a step and also say serious about beating Villanova. It’s refreshing to see a coach understand it’s about talent first and not some feel good holistic bed time story. Carty knows Nova is our rival.

Ryan understands what it takes to beat North Dakota St, as most reading this know his Sammy team actually did it with a big assist from Jaqueez Ezzard of Oz. He knows he has to improve the interior defense and Olines, not necessarily in that order.

He was hired because he understands how important it is to recognize the prestigious history of the Delaware football program and how to do things the Delaware way, Which is ironically just the opposite of what his predecessor stubborn Danny Rocco practiced.

JMU is gone!

Somebody has to knock off the Bison and although it will be a very challenging task....

I ask you AGS .... Why not Delaware?

Ive been saying this thread is not really about this season but The Hens looked real good today

The Sling T is getting reved up

Nolan Henderson had a big day

long way to go yet but things are looking up

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2022, 01:12 PM
And Nolan Henderson is your FCS player of the week!

well deserved

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2022, 05:27 PM
12 players caught passes yesterday, Nolan Henderson has been let out of the Rocco coop

The D is looking special

tough games are on back end is schedule so one week at a time but the Hens just might be special this year

October 8th in Williamsburg will tell us a lot

KPSUL
September 25th, 2022, 07:12 PM
- -

12 players caught passes yesterday, Nolan Henderson has been let out of the Rocco coop

The D is looking special

tough games are on back end is schedule so one week at a time but the Hens just might be special this year

October 8th in Williamsburg will tell us a lot

We already know a lot. Delaware is the team to beat in the CAA this season.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2022, 09:08 PM
- -

We already know a lot. Delaware is the team to beat in the CAA this season.

Richmond is smokin hot too..

Elon tough

one loss doesn’t end the season for William

and of course the Nova Prepa will always be a tough

Gangtackle11
September 25th, 2022, 09:22 PM

Elon tough

Nah….this isnt Nova’s year. The Dirty Filthy Birds have a really good chance of winning our November tilt too…..xpeacex

KPSUL
September 25th, 2022, 09:25 PM

Elon tough

And 3-0 UNH is in sole possession of 1st place!xhurrayxxbeerchugxxhurrayx

caribbeanhen
September 26th, 2022, 08:16 AM
And 3-0 UNH is in sole possession of 1st place!xhurrayxxbeerchugxxhurrayx

Stony
Albany
Towson

yuck

but what you said is a fact

KPSUL
September 26th, 2022, 10:29 AM
MONMOUTH
Albany
Towson

yuck

but what you said is a fact

FIFY, We already beat Monmouth (current CAA darlings), not Stony Brook.

WARNING Will Robinson, WARNING: Don't take Albany lightly!

Towson? A bunch of good players, not much team yet. I don't understand a coach bringing in more than 40 transfers in 2 years. They might win some conference games later in the season.

UNHWildcat18
September 26th, 2022, 10:41 AM

Towson? A bunch of good players, not much team yet. I don't understand a coach bringing in more than 40 transfers in 2 years. They might win some conference games later in the season.

Going to be an interesting second half of the season for sure, it was nice to see WMU crumbling as well as Dartmouth drop the ball vs Sacred Heart, I like UNH's chances in both but could definitely see 0-2 as well xdrunkyx

KPSUL
September 26th, 2022, 11:17 AM
I'm not anticipating a win @ Western Michigan, but my Magic 8 Ball is saying "It is decidedly So" about a victory in Hanover!

caribbeanhen
September 26th, 2022, 12:02 PM

thanks for correction... was going off memory and not a good idea

AmsterBison
September 27th, 2022, 03:37 PM
I'd like to figure out why Delaware says they've had 43 ties but it adds up to 45 for me, 46 here: List of Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens head football coaches - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Delaware_Fightin%27_Blue_Hens_head_footbal l_coaches), and 44 here: List of Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens football seasons - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Delaware_Fightin%27_Blue_Hens_football_sea sons)

Anyway, Delaware is flirting with getting their all-time win percentage over .600 - that and their 700+ wins puts them in a very small group of FCS programs.

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2022, 08:48 AM
Well close the thread because when I said ...why not Delaware? I was not talking about FBS but becoming the next dynasty at FCS

maybe Delaware still has time for one more championship before it’s over

Daytripper
October 14th, 2022, 11:28 AM
Well close the thread because when I said ...why not Delaware? I was not talking about FBS but becoming the next dynasty at FCS

Would be a hell of a way to go out.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2022, 11:30 AM
Would be a hell of a way to go out.

Doesn't have the OL capable of doing it this year. Should still be a playoff team, and a good one at that. Winning it all, though, looks to be too optimistic.

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 11:30 AM

I still don't know what conference y'all think you're moving to.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 11:39 AM
I still don't know what conference y'all think you're moving to.

......MAC WHIFF YOUNGSTOWN......OR ONE NOT BORN YET.....GONNA TAKE UH FEW YEARS....FO' STUFF...........AWK!

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 11:40 AM
......MAC WHIFF YOUNGSTOWN......OR ONE NOT BORN YET.....GONNA TAKE UH FEW YEARS....FO' STUFF...........AWK!
Yeah because that's what the MAC needs. Another irrelevant nobody team from Ohio.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Yeah because that's what the MAC needs. Another irrelevant nobody team from Ohio.

.....IFIN' YA MISSED DUH MAC MID WEEK GAMES LAST YEAR.....YA LOST OUT ON SOME GOOD PIGGY.....CRAZY HIGH SCORIN'....AN' SEVERAL SLOBBER-KNOCKERS.......PLENTY BAD WEATHER (ALWAYS FUN)..........NUFFIN' BUT ACTION............DUH ESPN'S....WERE SHOWIN' TWO/THREE...... @ UH TIME.......THEN WHEN OURAH TALONS ARE WET....MORPH INTA...UH NEW-BORN......AWK!

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 11:45 AM
.....IFIN' YA MISSED DUH MAC MID WEEK GAMES LAST YEAR.....YA LOST OUT ON SOME GOOD PIGGY.....CRAZY HIGH SCORIN'....AN' SEVERAL SLOBBER-KNOCKERS..........NUFFIN' BUT ACTION.......THEN WHEN OURAH TALONS ARE WET.....MORPH...INTA UH NEW BORN........AWK!
If y'all get into the MAC it's because someone told them y'alls campus is 20 miles north of Columbus.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 11:48 AM
If y'all get into the MAC it's because someone told them y'alls campus is 20 miles north of Columbus.

ALREADY...UH NEWARK....AN' UH DELAWARE.....DOVER....MILFORD.....MIDDLETOWN.....I N OHIO............WONDER IFIN' DEY GOT UH...KITTS HUMMICK......xconfusedx..........AWK!

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 12:03 PM
ALREADY...UH NEWARK....AN' UH DELAWARE.....DOVER....MILFORD.....MIDDLETOWN.....I N OHIO..................AWK!
Yeah Newark, Ohio has a pretty damn big basket.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=JSUSoutherner;3082417]Yeah Newark, Ohio has a pretty damn big basket.[/QUO

....MAYBE WE GET TA PLAY YA'S.......IN DUH DRAINO BOWL.........IN UH COUPLE.......AWK!

TribeNomad1
October 14th, 2022, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=JSUSoutherner;3082417]Yeah Newark, Ohio has a pretty damn big basket.[/QUO

....MAYBE WE GET TA PLAY YA'S.......IN DUH DRAINO BOWL.........IN UH COUPLE.......AWK!

In Flushing, New York?

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 12:14 PM
In Flushing, New York?

......AN' BILL & MARE.....CAN COME TA NEW-ARK......FO' UH PAY DAY.......$$$$$$$$$$.........BRAWK!

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 12:19 PM
In Flushing, New York?

......AN' BILL & MARE.....CAN COME TA NEW-ARK......FO' UH PAY DAY.......$$$$$$$$$$.........BRAWK!

Wouldn't recommend that. Florida State wasn't super thrilled about paying us hundreds of thousands of dollars to whup their ass.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't recommend that. Florida State wasn't super thrilled about paying us hundreds of thousands of dollars to whup their ass.

......YER DUH ROLLIN' STONES...UH DUH SOUFF........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2022, 01:09 PM
Doesn't have the OL capable of doing it this year. Should still be a playoff team, and a good one at that. Winning it all, though, looks to be too optimistic.

agree but we might be FBS for how many more years

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Update: FBS is definitely on the table at Delaware, it’s just a matter of time and destination and if someone knows they’re not telling. An FBS move pours cold water over the general theme of what this thread was about.

Clarifications: this was never about winning the title last year or this year. It was about getting Delaware back as a serious contender, necessary talent upgrades to challenge The Bison. Now you can add South Dakota State and Montana State. I should add Sluka to the list for this year.

This was about how the big time upgrades in the facilities, and not necessarily the stadium itself, but the WAC we’re going to boost recruiting and help make Delaware a destination for top FCS talent. That theme is starting to take root and Ryan Carty is getting some talent now and JMU left a big gap so who will fill it….

Again, not predicting any National Championship for the Hens this year but change for the good is in the air.

The question is will Delaware be around long enough to see another championship before it’s to late …

Sitting Bull
September 30th, 2023, 11:47 AM
In Flushing, New York?

You couldn’t pay us enough. W&M will keep playing an annual FBS, they won’t be wasting the slot for a MAC team.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2023, 12:00 PM
You couldn’t pay us enough. W&M will keep playing an annual FBS, they won’t be wasting the slot for a MAC team.

.....LIKE....YA'S...KNOCKED OFF...UH FBS......LEMONADE STAND...FROM C-USA......LAST SEASON.....&...MOST UH MAC.....WOODAH HUNG 75....ON 'EM.....BRAWK!

Sitting Bull
September 30th, 2023, 12:19 PM
.....LIKE....YA'S...KNOCKED OFF...UH FBS......LEMONADE STAND...FROM C-USA......LAST SEASON.....&...MOST UH MAC.....WOODAH HUNG 75....ON 'EM.....BRAWK!

Sorry, Tribe not wasting an FBS slot for Newark. You need to work on your in state rival, Delaware State.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2023, 12:21 PM
HOW MUCH YA'S MAKE @ CHARLOTTE......GAS MONEY?...........BRAWK!

Sitting Bull
September 30th, 2023, 12:25 PM
HOW MUCH YA'S MAKE @ CHARLOTTE......GAS MONEY?...........BRAWK!

Charlottes a bit more exciting than Delaware. Plus no tolls and the atmosphere is actually a bit more exciting than a bunch of old people in walkers wearing Blue Hen sweatshirts,

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2023, 12:29 PM
Charlottes a bit more exciting than Delaware. Plus no tolls and the atmosphere is actually a bit more exciting than a bunch of old people in walkers wearing Blue Hen sweatshirts,

.........GUESS...WHEN YA'S PARTY LIKE 1693...IN DUH 'BURG.....CHARLOTTE'S LIKE L.A............BRAWK!

Sitting Bull
September 30th, 2023, 03:57 PM
.........GUESS...WHEN YA'S PARTY LIKE 1693...IN DUH 'BURG.....CHARLOTTE'S LIKE L.A............BRAWK!

Your geriatric fans love it.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2023, 04:19 PM
One other point on Why not Delaware…. The CAA is getting worse

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2023, 06:09 PM

THUD!...........YER RIGHT.......WE LOVE IT!..............BRAWK!​

........LOOKS LIKE DOSE TRACTOR-PULLERS...OUT IN TUMBLE-WEED LAND........KNOCKED IT ALL OUTTAH YOUSE..........AWK!

Sitting Bull
September 30th, 2023, 06:26 PM
THUD!...........YER RIGHT.......WE LOVE IT!..............BRAWK!​

........LOOKS LIKE DOSE TRACTOR-PULLERS...OUT IN TUMBLE-WEED LAND........KNOCKED IT ALL OUTTAH YOUSE..........AWK!

Thud is right. Still 4-1, I’ll take it,

Now let’s see how you guys progress after your annual sweep of NEC and MEAC schools as you pump out your chests. Who’s next for you - another NEC team?

If your team was half as good as the bluster from your elderly fan base, you could book a room in Frisco.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2023, 06:49 PM
Thud is right. Still 4-1, I’ll take it,

Now let’s see how you guys progress after your annual sweep of NEC and MEAC schools as you pump out your chests. Who’s next for you - another NEC team?

If your team was half as good as the bluster from your elderly fan base, you could book a room in Frisco.

....AN' YOUSE WENT TA SOUFF CAROLINA....AN' PICKED ON.....DUH SMALLEST DOG.....DEN...OVERAH TA CHUCK SOUFF......UH BIG SOUFF/OVC PIN-YATTAH.......AN' IFIN' AH'M NOT MISTAKEN.....HAMPTON LURKS......AWK!

Sitting Bull
September 30th, 2023, 07:28 PM

....AN' YOUSE WENT TA SOUFF CAROLINA....AN' PICKED ON.....DUH SMALLEST DOG.....DEN...OVERAH TA CHUCK SOUFF......UH BIG SOUFF/OVC PIN-YATTAH.......AN' IFIN' AH'M NOT MISTAKEN.....HAMPTON LURKS......AWK!

Are we supposed to be impressed that St Francis and Duquesne have larger enrollments? For a team that wants to go FBS? Such a joke. It’s so Delaware.

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2023, 07:33 PM
One other point on Why not Delaware…. The CAA is getting worse

It's definitely a swoon that began before the additions. Of course, these things do come in cycles.

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2023, 07:19 AM
It's definitely a swoon that began before the additions. Of course, these things do come in cycles.

the swoon started about 12 years ago

Henny
October 1st, 2023, 07:53 AM

I didn’t realize a JMU fan came back to AGS! 😂

UD is in a good situation but have Elon and Nova still. Long, long way to go!

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2023, 08:52 PM
I didn’t realize a JMU fan came back to AGS! 

UD is in a good situation but have Elon and Nova still. Long, long way to go!

Henny, this thread was supposed to be about the long term and I started to basically say Delaware is in great position to become the next JMU, a new coach, improved recruiting with great facilities that will attract better players and a staff that understands the transfer portal but now, I'm not sure we have enough time left in FCS to see it through. As you know, the fan base has really turned on the new CAA and FCS in general. Some even want to go the independent route just to get out. Anyway, I hope we don't go to the MAC.... Dreadful to even think about it for me but I have no skin in the game.... A more southern destination would grow on me as sun and fun are drawing people out of the NE so I have hope that the powers at UD might have something else in mind besides the MAC

Go...gate
October 4th, 2023, 01:40 AM
Independence while UD searches for an FBS conference?

UNHWildcat18
October 4th, 2023, 06:19 AM
I'll miss you guys that's for sure. I like UNH playing schools that represent their entire state.....

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2023, 06:49 AM
I'll miss you guys that's for sure. I like UNH playing schools that represent their entire state.....

ha entire state I like that too but were still here and I have no idea for how long and neither does anyone else that's talking

I'm open to hearing some educated guesses and wild rumors

MR. CHICKEN
October 4th, 2023, 07:19 AM
WILD RUMOR......BG1O....WE DO PLAY PENN STATE......AWK!

EDUCATED GUESS........IN UH BACK-ROOM BAR..SEEDY PART UH NEW ENGLAND....UCONN/UMASS.....DEALIN' FROM BOTTOM UH DECK......PLOTTIN' DUH OVER-THROW....UH INDEPENDENCE.......BRAWK!.

UNHWildcat18
October 4th, 2023, 07:38 AM
ha entire state I like that too but were still here and I have no idea for how long and neither does anyone else that's talking

I'm open to hearing some educated guesses and wild rumors

One thing I do find funny is UD fans trying to figure out where they belong and who their peers are... I mean academically and geographically and similar type/vision........ at FCS or no football.... UNH URI UVM(R2) Maine Drexel SUNY Albany SBU BING UMBC a bunch of R1 universities that represent their state....... at FBS UConn Umass Buffalo

Yeah you could throw in George Mason and ODU but if you want it georgraphically tighter like virginia to Maine as the max distance... UD doesn't really have many FBS peers. You could say UD belongs in the Sunbelt from an athletics spending and stadium size etc... athletics vision yada yada but academically or vision they don't align that well...only GSU and southern Miss are R1 in the sun belt

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2023, 09:56 AM
One thing I do find funny is UD fans trying to figure out where they belong and who their peers are... I mean academically and geographically and similar type/vision........ at FCS or no football.... UNH URI UVM(R2) Maine Drexel SUNY Albany SBU BING UMBC a bunch of R1 universities that represent their state....... at FBS UConn Umass Buffalo

Yeah you could throw in George Mason and ODU but if you want it georgraphically tighter like virginia to Maine as the max distance... UD doesn't really have many FBS peers. You could say UD belongs in the Sunbelt from an athletics spending and stadium size etc... athletics vision yada yada but academically or vision they don't align that well...only GSU and southern Miss are R1 in the sun belt

And don't forget about us in Greensboro, NC. R1 is definitely in A&T's future as soon as they get around to performing the reclassifications in 2024, IIRC.

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2023, 11:42 AM

UD fans and alumni for the most part just don’t want to get stuck in the FCS or the third level of college football. They are kind of panicked like being in quick sand, sinking fast and soon will be no way out

wcugrad95
October 4th, 2023, 11:54 AM
Serious question - do UD fans seriously think that we didn't already have three levels for the last 10+ years? P5, G5, and then FCS has been true for quite some time now. It is just the evolution to a P4 means that very top set of schools will totally split-off and go have their own rules. FCS will still be the 2nd level of NCAA-sanctioned football. Those other guys will be playing in a level that will be named after whichever TV deal pays the most (the ESPN/CBS/NBC/Fox league).

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2023, 12:05 PM
Serious question - do UD fans seriously think that we didn't already have three levels for the last 10+ years? P5, G5, and then FCS has been true for quite some time now. It is just the evolution to a P4 means that very top set of schools will totally split-off and go have their own rules. FCS will still be the 2nd level of NCAA-sanctioned football. Those other guys will be playing in a level that will be named after whichever TV deal pays the most (the ESPN/CBS/NBC/Fox league).

I think the majority (A very Interesting poll was posted on gohens.net) see it like circa 2010 is when the FCS started to sink into the third level known as the abyss, but before that the CAA and top tier FCS were the second level of college football because they were so dominant at this level and comparable to G5. FCS has lost some great programs over that span as well.

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2023, 07:26 AM
....RULE CHANGE.......BACK THEN....YOUSE COOD X-FER TA I-AA AN' PLAY IMMEDIATELY....BUT X-FER TO D-I....YOU'D SIT ONE YEAR.......SO I-AA....GOT SOME REALY GOOD PLAYERS.......AWK!

wcugrad95
October 5th, 2023, 07:47 AM
I assume the new rule changes about the fee ($5M to go FBS) and scholarship requirements (fund something like 200+ scholarships in 16 sports) will make some schools reconsider. Will that be another roadblock in Delaware’s plans, or will that matter?

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2023, 07:51 AM
I assume the new rule changes about the fee ($5M to go FBS) and scholarship requirements (fund something like 200+ scholarships in 16 sports) will make some schools reconsider. Will that be another roadblock in Delaware’s plans, or will that matter?

....HENS HAVE MONEY TREES....ALL OVERAH CAMPUS...........SOME OF 'EM...NEED PRUNIN'..........AWK!

Sitting Bull
October 5th, 2023, 08:55 AM
I think the majority (A very Interesting poll was posted on gohens.net) see it like circa 2010 is when the FCS started to sink into the third level known as the abyss, but before that the CAA and top tier FCS were the second level of college football because they were so dominant at this level and comparable to G5. FCS has lost some great programs over that span as well.

To be fair, post 2010, I think there was more sinking of the Delaware program than there was in the CAA overall. JMU was rolling, Towson made it to the Championship and Villanova, Maine and Richmond were all fielding solid teams into the playoffs,

I wouldn’t even buy the comment on FCS. Yes,App State and Ga Southern moved away but were replaced by the Dakota schools. I think the Bison brought exposure to FCS with their dominance and rabid fan base that wasn’t there prior.

And I know an unpopular opinion with Hens fans but the line between FCS and G5 is as thin as a razor blade. I witnessed it in Charlotte last year.

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 09:25 AM
To be fair, post 2010, I think there was more sinking of the Delaware program than there was in the CAA overall. JMU was rolling, Towson made it to the Championship and Villanova, Maine and Richmond were all fielding solid teams into the playoffs,

I wouldn’t even buy the comment on FCS. Yes,App State and Ga Southern moved away but were replaced by the Dakota schools. I think the Bison brought exposure to FCS with their dominance and rabid fan base that wasn’t there prior.

And I know an unpopular opinion with Hens fans but the line between FCS and G5 is as thin as a razor blade. I witnessed it in Charlotte last year.

No doubt Delaware fell the hardest post 2010
Towson was a one hit wonder on the back of running back West
Villanova and Richmond are nowhere near as good as they were when they won those titles in 2008 and 2009

JMU was great but without them, you have what we have now and that is not one team that is ready to win a championship

Sitting Bull
October 5th, 2023, 09:36 AM
No doubt Delaware fell the hardest post 2010
Towson was a one hit wonder on the back of running back West
Villanova and Richmond are nowhere near as good as they were when they won those titles in 2008 and 2009

JMU was great but without them, you have what we have now and that is not one team that is ready to win a championship

I wouldn’t argue that but JMU didn’t leave until 2021 and I think their teams up to that point were about as strong as the CAA has ever had. If the last two years have been down, I don’t believe that’s permanent. We will have a better feel once the playoffs start on how the league stacks this year,

There are programs on the upswing; W&M, URI, Elon, UAlbany and Delaware. Of course, there’s always Villanova.

No doubt 2009 was a pretty special year. It will always stand out.

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 09:49 AM
I wouldn’t argue that but JMU didn’t leave until 2021 and I think their teams up to that point were about as strong as the CAA has ever had. If the last two years have been down, I don’t believe that’s permanent. We will have a better feel once the playoffs start on how the league stacks this year,

There are programs on the upswing; W&M, URI, Elon, UAlbany and Delaware. Of course, there’s always Villanova.

No doubt 2009 was a pretty special year. It will always stand out.

for me, it was just the balance of the CAA had back then as a lot of teams could challenge for a title. More recently recently, JMU was the only one

Was that the year you lost to Nova in the Semi final? I watched it

Sitting Bull
October 5th, 2023, 10:11 AM
for me, it was just the balance of the CAA had back then as a lot of teams could challenge for a title. More recently recently, JMU was the only one

Was that the year you lost to Nova in the Semi final? I watched it

Yes I was there. Freezing. We had a 10-0 HT lead and lost 13-14. Nova then beat Montana in championship. Villanova won by inches on key plays - had a guy named Szuzar? Guy was a warrior.

Since the Bison came on board, everyone has had a problem winning a championship. From 2012 on, the MV has won them all minus the year JMU best Youngstown 2016 (?)

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Yes I was there. Freezing. We had a 10-0 HT lead and lost 13-14. Nova then beat Montana in championship. Villanova won by inches on key plays - had a guy named Szuzar? Guy was a warrior.

Since the Bison came on board, everyone has had a problem winning a championship. From 2012 on, the MV has won them all minus the year JMU best Youngstown 2016 (?)

Yes I definitely remember that game and Matt Szusar was a joy to watch, later played for the Chicago Cubs and Padres, but football was his sport although that sounds weird to say

You had a beast on the DL as well

as the old song said... these are the good ole days ...........is just not true for the new CAA

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2023, 10:46 AM

......WHEN YA FIRE KEELER....WHOM HAD 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCES.....IN 7 YEARS.....UP TO.........&....INCLUDIN' 2010.........AN' REPLACE HIM....WHIFF......SEVERAL BAD HIRES.......WHAT WOOD YOUSE EXPECT?.......KEELER STAYS.....WE'RE JMU TOO!.......KC WANTED....WHAT DUKES WERE GETTIN'.....FACILITIES ETC....WAS LOSIN' RECRUITIN' RACE....TA HARRISONBURG....HE SQWAKED.......AGIN'....AH'M FINE WHIFF FCS.....BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 11:05 AM
......WHEN YA FIRE KEELER....WHOM HAD 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCES.....IN 7 YEARS.....UP TO.........&....INCLUDIN' 2010.........AN' REPLACE HIM....WHIFF......SEVERAL BAD HIRES.......WHAT WOOD YOUSE EXPECT?.......KEELER STAYS.....WE'RE JMU TOO!.......KC WANTED....WHAT DUKES WERE GETTIN'.....FACILITIES ETC....WAS LOSIN' RECRUITIN' RACE....TA HARRISONBURG....HE SQWAKED.......AGIN'....AH'M FINE WHIFF FCS.....BRAWK!

Mr C, Whats in it for the fans? a move up to FBS… only answer I heard was well we don’t want to get stuck with Marist games… When I said but our rivals ain’t like Marist was told they would not be opposed to an occasional game with some of the old traditional rivals

Sitting Bull
October 5th, 2023, 12:08 PM
Mr C, Whats in it for the fans? a move up to FBS… only answer I heard was well we don’t want to get stuck with Marist games… When I said but our rivals ain’t like Marist was told they would not be opposed to an occasional game with some of the old traditional rivals

I wonder if Hens fans would be happier beating Marist than losing to Akron.

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 01:29 PM

much happier losing to Akron apparently

our next game is against Duquesne who actually beat Ohio in 2021

Sitting Bull
October 5th, 2023, 02:15 PM
much happier losing to Akron apparently

our next game is against Duquesne who actually beat Ohio in 2021

I’ve never met a Delaware fan that was happy with any loss. I think they are so accustomed to winning and often by blowouts. Besides Marist isn’t someone you have to play. Neither is Duquesne or St Francis. Your AD controls that and can always upgrade the OOC.

JacksFan40
October 5th, 2023, 02:54 PM
Akron would not beat Delaware. Akron would struggle to reach 6 wins in the CAA.

Houndawg
October 5th, 2023, 07:11 PM

Better to be a big duck in a small pond rather than a mid-level MAC team

Houndawg
October 5th, 2023, 07:24 PM

Do they throw to the Center?

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 07:49 PM
I’ve never met a Delaware fan that was happy with any loss. I think they are so accustomed to winning and often by blowouts. Besides Marist isn’t someone you have to play. Neither is Duquesne or St Francis. Your AD controls that and can always upgrade the OOC.

Yes I hear you

Marist was just tossed out there to make a point

NY Crusader 2010
October 5th, 2023, 10:01 PM

Delaware will be at the geographic edge of whichever FBS league might invite them. IMO, the Sun Belt is the landing spot that makes the most sense. The schools Delaware should want to align with are JMU, ODU, App State, Georgia Southern and Coastal.

The MAC doesn't seem to have interest in expansion. At least that's the vibe I got when MTSU and Western Kentucky approached that league as CUSA was being gutted two years ago.

The Boogie Down
October 20th, 2023, 02:44 PM
Delaware will be at the geographic edge of whichever FBS league might invite them. IMO, the Sun Belt is the landing spot that makes the most sense. The schools Delaware should want to align with are JMU, ODU, App State, Georgia Southern and Coastal.

The MAC doesn't seem to have interest in expansion. At least that's the vibe I got when MTSU and Western Kentucky approached that league as CUSA was being gutted two years ago.

In terms of school memberships the MAC has probably been the most stable G-5, if not most stable of all FBS leagues. I haven't heard any changes to that stability but, as with every league, there are always internet rumors. To me, if Delaware was able to bring some Northeastern neighbors along with them, they'd make more sense in the MAC than down in the Sunbelt.

Which brings me to more internet rumors...

This hoops thread (https://csnbbs.com/post-19139146.html#pid19139146) is over a month old and is about Charlotte moving to the A-10. But at some point it gets into the MAC "going big" and making a push to the East coast. I think the first school mentioned is Delaware but Fordham, Stony Brook, UMass and URI all get mentions too.

caribbeanhen
October 20th, 2023, 04:24 PM
https://www.globaltimes.cn/img/comment.png

https://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/attachment/2021/2021-09-02/ead08b9e-8b17-45aa-95b9-d28336d262a2.jpegABBA waxworks at Madame Tussauds in London, the UK Photo: IC

When we go FBS you’ll hear me singing something like this

Whatever happened to our Hens
I wish I understood
FCS used to be so nice
Tuesday night just ain’t no good

Where are those Happy Saturdays
The wins seem so hard to find
Why do I have to go
Up to Buff a lo
We’re stinking Oh and 9

So when you’re near me
you will hear me crying
Please no F B S

Sitting Bull
October 20th, 2023, 06:44 PM
In terms of school memberships the MAC has probably been the most stable G-5, if not most stable of all FBS leagues. I haven't heard any changes to that stability but, as with every league, there are always internet rumors. To me, if Delaware was able to bring some Northeastern neighbors along with them, they'd make more sense in the MAC than down in the Sunbelt.

Which brings me to more internet rumors...

This hoops thread (https://csnbbs.com/post-19139146.html#pid19139146) is over a month old and is about Charlotte moving to the A-10. But at some point it gets into the MAC "going big" and making a push to the East coast. I think the first school mentioned is Delaware but Fordham, Stony Brook, UMass and URI all get mentions too.

Charlotte just joined the AAC and left the A10 about a decade ago. If that’s part of this article, not sure there’s any credibility to consider here. There’s a whole network of folks who seem to make a living on these phantom realignments. It’s like a blogging industry that has no base in actual fact.

I have said before, UD would be better served championing an FBS mid Atlantic league. Half the pieces are already there among the upper tier of CAA football. While FBS might be a vision for UD, I really don’t think they want to drag the rest of their athletic teams into any of the current G5 leagues. No upside there and the travel would be ridiculous.

The Boogie Down
October 20th, 2023, 09:07 PM
No worries, caribbeanhen, with the right surroundings, UD in the FBS works. More importantly let's not forget that the blonde from Abba had a seriously underrated bod.

Charlotte just joined the AAC and left the A10 about a decade ago. If that’s part of this article, not sure there’s any credibility to consider here. There’s a whole network of folks who seem to make a living on these phantom realignments. It’s like a blogging industry that has no base in actual fact.

I have said before, UD would be better served championing an FBS mid Atlantic league. Half the pieces are already there among the upper tier of CAA football. While FBS might be a vision for UD, I really don’t think they want to drag the rest of their athletic teams into any of the current G5 leagues. No upside there and the travel would be ridiculous.
Meant to say Charleston. Football point is the same tho. An FBS mid Atlantic league, or an entire "Mid Atlantic Division" to the MAC is a better move than the Sunbelt or CUSA.

KPSUL
October 20th, 2023, 09:11 PM

Post 2010 = 2011 thru 2021 (last JMU CAA season) Play off appearances and the round eliminated. The list includes only teams with more than 2 appearances

UNH 7 Playoff Appearances: 2 Semifinals, 1 Quarterfinal, 3 2nd Rounds, 1 1st Round
NOVA 5 Playoff Appearances: 1 Quarterfinal, 1 2nd Round, 3 1st Rounds
TOWSON 3 Playoff Appearance: 1 Final, 1 2nd Round, 1 1st Round
MAINE 3 Playoff Appearances: 1 Semifinal, 1 Quarterfinal, 1 2nd Round
RICHMOND 1 Semifinal, 1 Quarterfinal, 1 2nd Round

Sitting Bull
October 29th, 2023, 10:41 AM
This newest rumor about Delaware leaving for CUSA seems to be gaining steam. Even the UMass proponents are now looking at an all sports entry into a CUSA “East division”.

Here would be the new layout for all sports in the east potentially:

UMass
Delaware
Liberty
Kennesaw State
Florida International
Jacksonville State

West Division
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
UTEP
Louisiana Tech
Sam Houston
New Mexico State

It does seem workable though whether it’s appealing is I guess up to the individual. You would assume the league would have to maintain keeping all their October games on Tuesday or Wednesday nights to cash in on the ESPN dollars. Of course, this also would mean moving all sports over - basketball as well.

To me, it seems a steep price to pay, I know some of the UD proponents belittle some of the new CAA entries (Hampton, Campbell) but it looks like there are some shoulder shrugs here too. If truly desperate for G5, I could see UD jumping aboard.

caribbeanhen
October 29th, 2023, 07:46 PM
I know most of you don’t have a FloSports, but the first quarter of yesterdays game between Delaware and Towson is a must see

Delaware offense absolutely clicking on all cylinders

smilo
October 29th, 2023, 10:23 PM
That conference gets an "Ick" from me. Good luck to them. The east division is an abomination, and then you have to play regularly in Ruston, Huntsville and Las Cruces. Rough. I would like to be with the big boys - on betting boards and with a tv deal in place, scores on the ticker - but that is several bridges too far. FIU is a nightmare of a program, and Kennesaw faces an uphill climb. Do not associate.

I'll just accept a role that hopefully involves bullying regional "peers" like URI, Towson and SBU and embrace UNH as our de facto rival (even if we get Monmouth for rivalry week) before I ever consider that alignment.

Sitting Bull
October 30th, 2023, 05:27 AM
I know most of you don’t have a FloSports, but the first quarter of yesterdays game between Delaware and Towson is a must see

I watched a the 1H highlights on the CAA recap. Very impressive. I felt a bit sorry for the Towson announcer who, by the 3rd TD in Q1, was quite irritated and depressed.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2023, 07:26 AM
I watched a the 1H highlights on the CAA recap. Very impressive. I felt a bit sorry for the Towson announcer who, by the 3rd TD in Q1, was quite irritated and depressed.

Also, he was irritated by the “fake Michigan helmets” …. His words …

Libertine
October 30th, 2023, 12:25 PM
This newest rumor about Delaware leaving for CUSA seems to be gaining steam. Even the UMass proponents are now looking at an all sports entry into a CUSA “East division”.

Here would be the new layout for all sports in the east potentially:

UMass
Delaware
Liberty
Kennesaw State
Florida International
Jacksonville State

West Division
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
UTEP
Louisiana Tech
Sam Houston
New Mexico State

I'd be down with Delaware; it would be a decent day trip from anywhere in the mid-Atlantic and, unlike Kennesaw and FIU, it's not a soccer stadium. However, I never want to set foot in that tractor pull arena that UMass plays in ever again.

ncspiderfan
October 30th, 2023, 05:53 PM

Quite impressive by the Hens. The Yarns kid is incredible.

If you have not seen it, watch Richmond/Campbell 4th quarter. I knew Spider defense was good, but holding Campbell down the way they did was something.

Spider defense, if you count a scoop and score on a blocked punt has outscored their last two opponents 24-23.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2023, 06:34 PM
Quite impressive by the Hens. The Yarns kid is incredible.

If you have not seen it, watch Richmond/Campbell 4th quarter. I knew Spider defense was good, but holding Campbell down the way they did was something.

Spider defense, if you count a scoop and score on a blocked punt has outscored their last two opponents 24-23.

thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out. I’m surprised Richmond has picked themselves up off the deck and dusted themselves off after that bad start, but I’ve been reading your post and I kind of understand why. And to think I called them Stony Brook lite …

ngineer
October 30th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Also, he was irritated by the “fake Michigan helmets” …. His words …

Little does he know that, that helmet design is known as the "Princeton Helmet". Originally worn by the "Tiggers" in 1935. Princeton Coach Fritz Crisler left for Michigan in 1938 and transported the 'winged helmet' motif to maize and blue.xsmiley_wix

ncspiderfan
October 30th, 2023, 07:03 PM
thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out. I’m surprised Richmond has picked themselves up off the deck and dusted themselves off after that bad start, but I’ve been reading your post and I kind of understand why. And to think I called them Stony Brook lite …

Heck, they might be Stony lite after the bye week. Huesman said today on conference call the freshman QB might not be back by Elon after going out last week, though the original starter is a lot better than he showed versus Morgan State, first start jitters maybe, and Morgan State being better than most give them credit for (except Yale they been in every game), but still no excuses for Spiders looking past them, if that is what happened.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2023, 07:26 PM
Heck, they might be Stony lite after the bye week. Huesman said today on conference call the freshman QB might not be back by Elon after going out last week, though the original starter is a lot better than he showed versus Morgan State, first start jitters maybe, and Morgan State being better than most give them credit for (except Yale they been in every game), but still no excuses for Spiders looking past them, if that is what happened.

haha no the Stony lite comment was totally wrong on my part

hope your Freshman QB gets healthy

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2023, 07:32 PM
Little does he know that, that helmet design is known as the "Princeton Helmet". Originally worn by the "Tiggers" in 1935. Princeton Coach Fritz Crisler left for Michigan in 1938 and transported the 'winged helmet' motif to maize and blue.xsmiley_wix

Love the history and this annoying announcer should definitely study up

Henny
October 30th, 2023, 08:47 PM
And UD’s former coaches Davey Nelson and Tubby Raymond played for Fritz Crisler , both college football hall of famers, brought the helmet to Delaware.

it’s a respect thing that has to do with coaching lineage but I wouldn’t expect Towson announcers to understand.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2023, 08:58 PM

...NELSON.....ALSO COACHED @ HILLSDALE COLLEGE/HARVARD/MAINE.....AN' AT EACH STOP........THOSE TEAMS HAD DUH HELMET TOO!..........BRAWK!

HensRock
October 31st, 2023, 08:40 AM
"Helmets" were made of leather (and all of them were brown) when Crisler had the idea to color parts of the leather so his QB could more easily distinguish his receivers from enemy defenders at a distance (uniforms also got pretty muddy in those days too!). He painted the front pieces of leather so QB could also tell which way the receiver was facing. That "Wing" design actually just followed the stitching pattern of the leather helmets used by Princeton.

MR. CHICKEN
October 31st, 2023, 08:45 AM
"Helmets" were made of leather (and all of them were brown) when Crisler had the idea to color parts of the leather so his QB could more easily distinguish his receivers from enemy defenders at a distance (uniforms also got pretty muddy in those days too!). He painted the front pieces of leather so QB could also tell which way the receiver was facing. That "Wing" design actually just followed the stitching pattern of the leather helmets used by Princeton.

...WOW!....DID NOT KNOW....xdontknowx..........INTERESTIN'.......CLAS S IN HELMET 101...............THKS ROCK!...................AWK!

caribbeanhen
October 31st, 2023, 08:57 AM

Great stuff HR!

MR. CHICKEN
October 31st, 2023, 09:04 AM

.....NEED TA SEND HR'S.....REPORT ON GOURD GUARDS........TA FLY-OVERAHS...AN' LEFT COASTERS.......BRING 'EM....UP TA SPEED.......TUMBLE WEED AN'.....FRUIT SMOOTHIES......DISTORT REALITY.....AWK!

ngineer
October 31st, 2023, 11:13 AM

Yes, Some other schools began painting their helmets as well, some copying the 'wing' design, and others creating other patterns. Note Dartmouth has had for decades the large "D" on the front of their helmets, going back to the leather days when they used the letter rather than wings. My uncle played for Delaware under Nelson back in the early '50's and I remember visiting and holding his helmet. After awhile they got cracked from being wet from sweat and rain, then repeatedly drying. I think, though, if the game returned to them, there would be return to tacking with the shoulder and not leading with the head, and less serious concussion issues.

blukeys
October 31st, 2023, 03:44 PM
Yes, Some other schools began painting their helmets as well, some copying the 'wing' design, and others creating other patterns. Note Dartmouth has had for decades the large "D" on the front of their helmets, going back to the leather days when they used the letter rather than wings. My uncle played for Delaware under Nelson back in the early '50's and I remember visiting and holding his helmet. After awhile they got cracked from being wet from sweat and rain, then repeatedly drying. I think, though, if the game returned to them, there would be return to tacking with the shoulder and not leading with the head, and less serious concussion issues.

Agree 100%!! More important, Tubby Raymond and Dave Nelson both decried the decline in "Shoulder Skills" which leads to the use of the head in blocking and tackling. I bet those old leather helmets did get gamey.

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2023, 03:48 PM
Agree 100%!! More important, Tubby Raymond and Dave Nelson both decried the decline in "Shoulder Skills" which leads to the use of the head in blocking and tackling. I bet those old leather helmets did get gamey.

A blukeys sighting! Ahoy, there, Matey!

blukeys
November 2nd, 2023, 04:41 PM
A blukeys sighting! Ahoy, there, Matey! LOL Thanks for the recognition Ivy!!! Sorry to be so absent, but, I have been busy staying alive. I had to direct energies to doctor's appointments and hospital stays.

On my path to becoming the eagle scout of healthcare, I earned my merit badge in organ transplant and then my merit badge in heart surgery 3 years later. I'm still a UD season ticket holder, although I missed last year's playoff game, as I began work on my Cancer survivor merit badge last November. I'm told this is a 5 year effort.

I have popped in on the AGS crew as they are the best at figuring out what is really happening in FCS. I will be at my usual seat in the stands on Saturday as well at my family's tailgate. Go Hens!!!

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2023, 06:58 PM
LOL Thanks for the recognition Ivy!!! Sorry to be so absent, but, I have been busy staying alive. I had to direct energies to doctor's appointments and hospital stays.

On my path to becoming the eagle scout of healthcare, I earned my merit badge in organ transplant and then my merit badge in heart surgery 3 years later. I'm still a UD season ticket holder, although I missed last year's playoff game, as I began work on my Cancer survivor merit badge last November. I'm told this is a 5 year effort.

I have popped in on the AGS crew as they are the best at figuring out what is really happening in FCS. I will be at my usual seat in the stands on Saturday as well at my family's tailgate. Go Hens!!!

I was glad to see you post as well Bluekeys, something special seems to be forming up for our Hens this year.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2023, 10:21 PM
When I said “why not Delaware” 1.5 years ago, this FBS move was not really what I had in mind

it was about a much needed fresh start
It was about a new head coach
It was about a new facilities going up at the University of Delaware.
It was about a coach who was using the portal aggressively and getting talent to Delaware
It was about being tired of the North Dakota State dynasty (now replaced by South Dakota State)
it was about Delaware becoming the new JMU of FCS, a team from the east that could compete with the Farm boys of the Midwest

Things were going according to plan. Delaware was attracting much better talent through the portal and through high school recruiting. Delaware made the playoffs and won a playoff game in Ryan Cartys first year and repeated that in his second year with a heck of a rebuilding job

And now it’s officially over, I’m standing at the alter with no Hens game to watch

The majority of Delaware fans support this move
The new and improved CAA was not there cup of tea, the fans suddenly turned and wanted out of the CAA and in a hurry
Long time season-ticket holders had grown tired of FCS and just didn’t wanna go anymore
North Dakota St came to town in 2019 and didn’t move the attendance needle one bit
this might’ve been the wake up call behind the scenes when they realized FCS was no longer working, no growth

As for me, I don’t like the move really but that is for my own selfish reasons as I am a big FCS fan. I have not watched FBS game for over 10 years or more. I have no affiliation with the University of Delaware, I was just a football fan. Having said that, I do understand this move as they are looking out for the long term interest of the University and themselves of course. I keep hearing things like they didn’t want to get stuck at that third level of college football.

I’ll be putting my want add in soon

Looking for a new FCS team