PDA

View Full Version : Why not Delaware?

Pages : 1 [2]

ElCid
November 27th, 2023, 10:26 PM
When I said “why not Delaware” 1.5 years ago, this FBS move was not really what I had in mind

it was about a much needed fresh start
It was about a new head coach
It was about a new facilities going up at the University of Delaware.
It was about a coach who was using the portal aggressively and getting talent to Delaware
It was about being tired of the North Dakota State dynasty (now replaced by South Dakota State)
it was about Delaware becoming the new JMU of FCS, a team from the east that could compete with the Farm boys of the Midwest

Things were going according to plan. Delaware was attracting much better talent through the portal and through high school recruiting. Delaware made the playoffs and won a playoff game in Ryan Cartys first year and repeated that in his second year with a heck of a rebuilding job

And now it’s officially over, I’m standing at the alter with no Hens game to watch

The majority of Delaware fans support this move
The new and improved CAA was not there cup of tea, the fans suddenly turned and wanted out of the CAA and in a hurry
Long time season-ticket holders had grown tired of FCS and just didn’t wanna go anymore
North Dakota St came to town in 2019 and didn’t move the attendance needle one bit
this might’ve been the wake up call behind the scenes when they realized FCS was no longer working, no growth

As for me, I don’t like the move really but that is for my own selfish reasons as I am a big FCS fan. I have not watched FBS game for over 10 years or more. I have no affiliation with the University of Delaware, I was just a football fan. Having said that, I do understand this move as they are looking out for the long term interest of the University and themselves of course. I keep hearing things like they didn’t want to get stuck at that third level of college football.

I’ll be putting my want add in soon

Looking for a new FCS team

Fire those canons buddy. Semper Paratus, proud to have you on board!

The Yo Show
November 27th, 2023, 10:31 PM
When I said “why not Delaware” 1.5 years ago, this FBS move was not really what I had in mind

It was about a coach who was using the portal aggressively and getting talent to Delaware
It was about being tired of the North Dakota State dynasty (now replaced by South Dakota State)
it was about Delaware becoming the new JMU of FCS, a team from the east that could compete with the Farm boys of the Midwest

Things were going according to plan. Delaware was attracting much better talent through the portal and through high school recruiting. Delaware made the playoffs and won a playoff game in Ryan Cartys first year and repeated that in his second year with a heck of a rebuilding job

And now it’s officially over, I’m standing at the alter with no Hens game to watch

The new and improved CAA was not there cup of tea, the fans suddenly turned and wanted out of the CAA and in a hurry
Long time season-ticket holders had grown tired of FCS and just didn’t wanna go anymore
North Dakota St came to town in 2019 and didn’t move the attendance needle one bit
this might’ve been the wake up call behind the scenes when they realized FCS was no longer working, no growth

As for me, I don’t like the move really but that is for my own selfish reasons as I am a big FCS fan. I have not watched FBS game for over 10 years or more. I have no affiliation with the University of Delaware, I was just a football fan. Having said that, I do understand this move as they are looking out for the long term interest of the University and themselves of course. I keep hearing things like they didn’t want to get stuck at that third level of college football.

Penguins are around. CarribeanPenguin just has an interesting ring to it

ST_Lawson
November 27th, 2023, 10:51 PM

How about CaribbeanLeatherneck...I can promise we won't be jumping to the FBS anytime soon.

bonarae
November 27th, 2023, 10:59 PM

I might be switching teams again and/or pruning my teams to support for... if:

The Ivy League switches to a NESCAC-style football schedule
ETSU continues its football collapse that started with Sanders' retirement and Quarles' hiring
A California-based ex-football school revives its program (if those schools aren't back by my 40th birthday in 2029, I'm looking at you, UC Davis; I started following your program closely in 2021 I believe)

Meanwhile, aside from Delaware, who are the losers in their move to the G5? Villanova, Delaware State, who else?

Go...gate
November 28th, 2023, 02:45 AM
I might be switching teams again and/or pruning my teams to support for... if:

The Ivy League switches to a NESCAC-style football schedule
ETSU continues its football collapse that started with Sanders' retirement and Quarles' hiring
A California-based ex-football school revives its program (if those schools aren't back by my 40th birthday in 2029, I'm looking at you, UC Davis; I started following your program closely in 2021 I believe)

Meanwhile, aside from Delaware, who are the losers in their move to the G5? Villanova, Delaware State, who else?

Don't look now. The Ivy League is increasingly moving in that direction. Future schedules do not look promising.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2023, 03:06 AM
Looking for a new FCS teamYou’re timing may be excellent. FUBeAR just checked and each of his 2 Teams has recently opened up a new position for a uniquely qualified fan. FUBeAR has connections and can put you into the mix for either, or possibly both, opportunities this week.

Are you available for meetings with decision-makers this Thursday and/or Friday?

We will move quickly once the process starts. FUBeAR is thinking we could get this done in time for you to hate Montana 2 weeks in a row or give you an opportunity to be part of the ‘shock the world’ unseating of the defending FCS champion. Which of those sounds more exciting to you?

Ping FUBeAR before noon today and we’ll put it all in motion.

Go Green
November 28th, 2023, 04:43 AM
Don't look now. The Ivy League is increasingly moving in that direction. Future schedules do not look promising.

Dartmouth is playing Army in 2024.

However, with Army's move to the AAC and orders to clear its schedule in favor of conference-matchups, it is far from certain whether that game will go forward... :(

dbackjon
November 28th, 2023, 10:28 AM

Caribbean Lumberjack (or Caribbean Jack) has a nice ring to it.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2023, 10:39 AM
Caribbean Lumberjack (or Caribbean Jack) has a nice ring to it.Foolishness.

Caribbean 'Din rhymes ... kinda

and

CaribBear is great wordplay .... (get it, "CareBear" kinda riff)

https://birdinhand.com/cdn/shop/products/image_8884be3c-3512-47cd-b8ac-9f878f9812f8_711x711.jpg?v=1643925204

dbackjon
November 28th, 2023, 10:45 AM
Foolishness.

Caribbean 'Din rhymes ... kinda

and

CaribBear is great wordplay .... (get it, "CareBear" kinda riff)

https://birdinhand.com/cdn/shop/products/image_8884be3c-3512-47cd-b8ac-9f878f9812f8_711x711.jpg?v=1643925204

He is in the Caribbean. You know who else was in the Caribbean? Pirates!!

Like Capitan JACK!

ysubigred
November 28th, 2023, 10:54 AM
Ummm.. I'm wondering WGAF [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Ummm.. I'm wondering WGAF [emoji848]

caribiguens ?

ysubigred
November 28th, 2023, 11:03 AM
caribiguens ?This we can live with [emoji56]

ngineer
November 28th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Which FCS school has the "Best facilities " is in the eye of the beholder. There are dozens of schools that have stadiums generally comparable to Delaware - each one has its own great characteristics. Locker rooms and indoor training facilities may have some impact on recruiting but I doubt it is the deciding factor in most decisions.

I think it is very premature to speculate which team(s) have a chance of ending the NDSU dynasty. Delaware would not be the first team that comes to mind for most of us. There was a bit of unbridled enthusiasm for Delaware's future when Danny Rocco was hired as well. A reasonable argument could be made that Rocco was fired a year or two too early. He had an overall winning record during his five seasons (31-23 ?) and made the playoffs twice, including the 2021 Spring season, semi-finals appearance.

Carty seem like a good hiring action, but with the risk associated with selecting someone with no head coaching experience. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that has a more impressive OC credibility at the FCS level. But I don't think I'd be buying my 2022 season National Championship Game tickets yet.

Buh, Del-A-Ware has ah PEE WALL par excellence!!xsmiley_wix

WestCoastAggie
November 28th, 2023, 04:15 PM
We have a band you might like.

Go...gate
November 28th, 2023, 04:32 PM
Dartmouth is playing Army in 2024.

However, with Army's move to the AAC and orders to clear its schedule in favor of conference-matchups, it is far from certain whether that game will go forward... :(

Princeton also is looking for a replacement for a future Army game.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2023, 09:11 PM
Fire those canons buddy. Semper Paratus, proud to have you on board!

Haha I love it

much obliged but Sorry El Cid

already been to boot camp

and I’m to old for the the rebuilding

hopefully it wasn’t your coach and what’s really necessary is an influx of talent

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2023, 09:18 PM
Penguins are around. CarribeanPenguin just has an interesting ring to it

I have a picture somewhere of me drinking a PBR with a Penguin out on the Antarctic ice, didn’t know I could just go to Youngstown to do that. Lot's of history between Delaware and Youngstown State but you would have to be pushing 60 to remember it. 1979 was what I remember most but I’ll save ya from having to hear that again.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2023, 06:52 PM
How about CaribbeanLeatherneck...I can promise we won't be jumping to the FBS anytime soon.

ST_Lawson you are by far the most dedicated to your team poster on AGS. I have admired your educated and wise postings over the years. Hopefully your Leathernecks will get it together after leaving the Valley.

Is there hope?

Mocs123
November 29th, 2023, 07:55 PM

What about sticking similar colors and becoming a Chattanooga Mocs fan? Caribbeanmoc - has a nice ring to it?

GRIZ1948
November 29th, 2023, 08:28 PM
FCS fans outside of Fargo have not had much to cheer about over what is now entering a second decade.

What North Dakota State has done over the past 12 years is unprecedented and very special but you know what ....I’ve had enough ....I can’t put up with it anymore (SPM 1978)

With the recent hiring of Ryan Carty, a fresh breeze is blowing into Newark, Delaware. A back up Delaware quarterback who played on the 2003 national championship team under his mentor KC Keeler and later was hired by KC as OC at Sam Houston. Ironically, he beat out KC for the job.

Carty wasted no time recognizing that Delaware needed a big talent upgrade if they were serious about winning and competing with the best teams in FCS. You could back up a step and also say serious about beating Villanova. It’s refreshing to see a coach understand it’s about talent first and not some feel good holistic bed time story. Carty knows Nova is our rival.

Ryan understands what it takes to beat North Dakota St, as most reading this know his Sammy team actually did it with a big assist from Jaqueez Ezzard of Oz. He knows he has to improve the interior defense and Olines, not necessarily in that order.

He was hired because he understands how important it is to recognize the prestigious history of the Delaware football program and how to do things the Delaware way, Which is ironically just the opposite of what his predecessor stubborn Danny Rocco practiced.

Delaware now has probably the best facilities at the FCS level and hopefully it will soon pay off with recruiting, Not to mention that Carty is recruiting much more aggressively on a national level.

JMU is gone!

Somebody has to knock off the Bison and although it will be a very challenging task....

I ask you AGS .... Why not Delaware?

Montana has the best facilities at the FCS for football and it has a capacity over 26,000

GRIZ1948
November 29th, 2023, 08:31 PM
The Big Sky? On what are you basing your conclusion that the CAA is on a "downward trajectory" when compared to the Big Sky? There is very little inter-conference play between the two conferences; however, JMU had little or no trouble beating the best of the Big Sky. JMU's CAA opponents played JMU much tougher than the Sky guys, I attended three JMU games last year, Montana, Villanova and UNH. I was really looking forward to the Montana vs JMU game - but what a disappointment! Montana looked about the same as Bobby Morris playing JMU. However, Villanova beat them in Harrisonburg and CAA 11th place UNH lost by two points and had an opportunity to win in the last minute of the game. W&M, Richmond, and Delaware all gave JMU a better game than Montana or Weber State (which was played in Ogden UT). I think the Big Sky is significantly over-rated. The top few teams benefit from a very weak bottom 5 or 6 teams and roll up better win-loss records come playoff selection time. The CAA has much better overall conference strength top to bottom.

Montana is 1-1 for playing JMU in their dog house

nodak651
November 29th, 2023, 08:38 PM
Montana has the best facilities at the FCS for football and it has a capacity over 26,000
Coolest stadium. But best facilities? Aren't you building a bubble? Have you seen NDSU's new indoor facility?

POD Knows
November 29th, 2023, 08:43 PM
Montana has the best facilities at the FCS for football and it has a capacity over 26,000Your stadium is nice but both NDSU and SDSU have far better overall football facilities. The IPF's at both SDSU and NDSU are second to none and the outdoor field at SDSU is pretty freaking nice. Doesn't hold 26K but it is neater and cleaner than Montana.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2023, 08:59 PM

Well I don’t believe you’ve visited the Whitney Athletic Center (The WAC) have you? Although I’m not sure if it is still considered an FCS facility next year

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2023, 09:04 PM
What about sticking similar colors and becoming a Chattanooga Mocs fan? Caribbeanmoc - has a nice ring to it?

Heeeey Macarenaooga Hen

1996 dance sensation

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2023, 09:03 PM
We have a band you might like.

She likes the boys in the band
she says that I’m her all time favorite

RJ

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2023, 09:40 PM

Now we get to repay the ass beating y'all gave us back in 21.