PDA

View Full Version : WAC/ASUN Alliance

Pages : [1] 2 3

HootyHoo
May 19th, 2022, 05:24 PM
This is an interesting development. Especially since this arrangement is “for the foreseeable future”. Hooty wonders if this is a first step to an official merger between the two leagues? It’s obvious that both conferences are struggling to find new members after SHSU and JSU left for CUSA.

The Cats
May 19th, 2022, 06:42 PM
So, which schools are now happy they didn't take the bate and join the ASUN football?

walliver
May 23rd, 2022, 12:08 PM
I don't see a merger, although I wouldn't be surprised by a football-only league like CAA football or the MVFC. I don't see any of the non-football ASUN members wanting to travel out west.

EKU05
May 23rd, 2022, 01:56 PM
I think when people talk about a merger they're talking about the football schools primarily. I could see a scenario in which the current ASUN and WAC eventually end up as a football playing conference and a non-football playing conference...or potentially even three different conferences. No one can say anything for certain, but there are a lot of possibilities in play for sure.

EKU05
May 23rd, 2022, 01:57 PM
So, which schools are now happy they didn't take the bate and join the ASUN football?

As a fan of a school that took the bait...it was still the right move for us. Obviously every school's situation is different.

Daytripper
May 23rd, 2022, 02:27 PM
As a fan of a school that took the bait...it was still the right move for us. Obviously every school's situation is different.

If the ASUN/WAC sticks long term, I think it will be a good football conference.

BEAR
May 23rd, 2022, 04:21 PM
I don't care if the team is in any conference. A game is a game vs. FCS opponents. Plus road trips for away games are pretty adventurous. xdrunkyx

Utgrizfan
May 23rd, 2022, 07:22 PM
Personally would like to see another out west FCS Conference so I'm hoping the WAC doesn't fold. A quick and easy solution would be to add Cal Poly and UC-Davis (nothing against either school, they're just both Football only members). Would end up with a Conference looking like:

Cal Poly, UC-Davis, SUU, UT-Tech, SFA, ACU, UTRGV, Tarleton State, UIW?

That's not a bad looking football conference at all. Also depending on future shenanigans could maybe add Utah Valley (if they ever add Football) or San Diego (if they ever get smart and allow athletic scholarships).

Daytripper
May 23rd, 2022, 09:03 PM
Personally would like to see another out west FCS Conference so I'm hoping the WAC doesn't fold. A quick and easy solution would be to add Cal Poly and UC-Davis (nothing against either school, they're just both Football only members). Would end up with a Conference looking like:

That's not a bad looking football conference at all. Also depending on future shenanigans could maybe add Utah Valley (if they ever add Football) or San Diego (if they ever get smart and allow athletic scholarships).

Agree. If you had enough schools it could be divided into divisions to help on travel. Texas Division and a West Division. Of course it may make more sense for ACU to go with the West.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2022, 12:57 PM
It's less of an alliance than last year.

"Unlike last season, the ASUN and WAC will not have a scheduling alliance in 2022 as all of their schedules were previously completed. Both conferences will have their own championships and one of those winners will earn the ASUN-WAC automatic qualifier to the FCS Playoffs. The process for selecting the automatic qualifier will be announced at a later date."

https://fbschedules.com/asun-wac-renew-football-alliance-for-2022-season/

My translation is that they're making things up as they go along, which IMVHO doesn't really bode well for either conference. They are very lucky there is no NCAA leadership right now and they can get away with this crap.

EKU05
May 24th, 2022, 02:26 PM
It's less of an alliance than last year.

"Unlike last season, the ASUN and WAC will not have a scheduling alliance in 2022 as all of their schedules were previously completed. Both conferences will have their own championships and one of those winners will earn the ASUN-WAC automatic qualifier to the FCS Playoffs. The process for selecting the automatic qualifier will be announced at a later date."

https://fbschedules.com/asun-wac-renew-football-alliance-for-2022-season/

My translation is that they're making things up as they go along, which IMVHO doesn't really bode well for either conference. They are very lucky there is no NCAA leadership right now and they can get away with this crap.

Obviously this year was pretty set already. It would have been entirely unreasonable to expect schedule revisions. What I've taken away from all of this is that going forward they will schedule with the alliance in mind, whatever that ends up looking like. I mean, the MVFC is basically a joint venture between two conferences, and the CAA situation is complicated, so call me thoroughly unconvinced that such a venture "doesn't bode well." You say making it up as they go along, but I think you could just as easily call it adapting to a changing situation.

ST_Lawson
May 24th, 2022, 04:09 PM
I mean, the MVFC is basically a joint venture between two conferences

2.1, but pretty much correct

EKU05
May 25th, 2022, 07:10 AM
2.1, but pretty much correct

I didn't forget about you Leathernecks...just trying to make a concise point. :)

ST_Lawson
May 25th, 2022, 08:19 AM
I didn't forget about you Leathernecks...just trying to make a concise point. :)

the .1 is Youngstown State

Lehigh Football Nation
May 25th, 2022, 08:39 AM
If you can't determine HOW you're going to determine how your autobid is going to be determined, are you actually anything at all? The ASun will be crowning its own champion. The WAC will be crowning its own champion. So the alliance is... a way to get around the autobid rules? Somebody help me here. There's literally no other reason for this to exist? There's no unified champion? The champions might not play each other?

I have similar problems with the CAA, Big Sky and MVFC, but at least they make an attempt to crown an overall champion. They don't say "the Summit schools crown their own champion" nonsense.

Sir William
May 25th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Quite frankly, this alliance stuff is manure, except from a scheduling standpoint. No alliance (Big South/OVC, ASUN/WAC, or any other) should have an autobid to the FCS playoffs because they have an alliance. If your conference itself doesn't have 6 football-playing schools (and I would argue for at least 7) who are playing football under the same conference banner, then that conference should not be permitted any autobid in any scenario, including makeshift alliances with other conferences. Teams associated with such alliances should and do have full access to at-large invites. If the ASUN football schools and the WAC football schools want to form an ACTUAL football-playing conference (much like the MVFC), then they should do so...and in that scenario, they should be entitled to an autobid. Outside of that, nada.

It won't matter soon anyway. FCS is going to be remolded in the next few years due to the P5 greed associated with the transfer portal and NIL. The P5 will ultimately go their way and leave NCAA football (and they should!). The NCAA will form a playoff similar to FCS for the remaining FBS, and one would fully expect a handful of current FCS programs to "move up", as I'm sure current "move-up" requirements will be relaxed if not completely overhauled. Look for several current FCS conferences to be forced to revamp in the wake of all this, and greater FCS conference parity to result, at least for a few years.

walliver
May 25th, 2022, 12:37 PM
If you can't determine HOW you're going to determine how your autobid is going to be determined, are you actually anything at all? The ASun will be crowning its own champion. The WAC will be crowning its own champion. So the alliance is... a way to get around the autobid rules? Somebody help me here. There's literally no other reason for this to exist? There's no unified champion? The champions might not play each other?

I have similar problems with the CAA, Big Sky and MVFC, but at least they make an attempt to crown an overall champion. They don't say "the Summit schools crown their own champion" nonsense.

I suspect they hope that both "champions" get a bid. Possibly they will go with the lowest "champion" if that school is at risk of not getting an at-large. This alliance makes sure at least one school gets in, but somehow the committee will pick both.

EKU05
May 25th, 2022, 01:37 PM
the .1 is Youngstown State

That's right. I always forget about them being in the Horizon. They've been with that whole group since the Gateway days.

EKU05
May 25th, 2022, 01:40 PM
I suspect they hope that both "champions" get a bid. Possibly they will go with the lowest "champion" if that school is at risk of not getting an at-large. This alliance makes sure at least one school gets in, but somehow the committee will pick both.

I don't know anything for sure, but if I had to guess they'll agree on some computer ranking system or poll ahead of time and send whichever "champion" ranks higher for this year. In future years they can work out the scheduling part. There just wasn't time to do it this year.

ScrappytheOwl
May 25th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Is it just me or do the SOCON fans on this thread feel threatened by the WACSUN? I guess I can see why. I wouldnt be happy either if my conference was getting passed up by a couple of startup conferences.

Quite frankly, this alliance stuff is manure, except from a scheduling standpoint. No alliance (Big South/OVC, ASUN/WAC, or any other) should have an autobid to the FCS playoffs because they have an alliance. If your conference itself doesn't have 6 football-playing schools (and I would argue for at least 7) who are playing football under the same conference banner, then that conference should not be permitted any autobid in any scenario, including makeshift alliances with other conferences. Teams associated with such alliances should and do have full access to at-large invites. If the ASUN football schools and the WAC football schools want to form an ACTUAL football-playing conference (much like the MVFC), then they should do so...and in that scenario, they should be entitled to an autobid. Outside of that, nada.

It won't matter soon anyway. FCS is going to be remolded in the next few years due to the P5 greed associated with the transfer portal and NIL. The P5 will ultimately go their way and leave NCAA football (and they should!). The NCAA will form a playoff similar to FCS for the remaining FBS, and one would fully expect a handful of current FCS programs to "move up", as I'm sure current "move-up" requirements will be relaxed if not completely overhauled. Look for several current FCS conferences to be forced to revamp in the wake of all this, and greater FCS conference parity to result, at least for a few years.

FUBeAR
May 25th, 2022, 03:42 PM
Is it just me or do the SOCON fans on this thread feel threatened by the WACSUN? I guess I can see why. I wouldnt be happy either if my conference was getting passed up by a couple of startup conferences.
xconfusedx

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS952US952&hl=en-US&sxsrf=ALiCzsaSiKDiUaOd-iQA9mjkU4vDrzCRSQ:1653511164981&q=wacsun&nfpr=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnr_uMwfv3AhUwEEQIHeFHAY8QvgUoAXoECAEQA w&biw=810&bih=965&dpr=2#ip=1

HootyHoo
May 25th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Interesting points. Hooty agrees in particular with Sir William on the future of college athletics with the P5 breaking off….

Hooty surmises that what we are seeing in FCS is a phenomenon known as “Talent consolidation”. It is quite plain when the OVC/Southland and ASUN/WAC have joined into alliances which are precursors to football-only merged conferences. There are simply too many conferences in the division.

walliver
May 26th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Interesting points. Hooty agrees in particular with Sir William on the future of college athletics with the P5 breaking off….

Hooty surmises that what we are seeing in FCS is a phenomenon known as “Talent consolidation”. It is quite plain when the OVC/Southland and ASUN/WAC have joined into alliances which are precursors to football-only merged conferences. There are simply too many conferences in the division.

WAC and ASun football conferences were a decent idea at the time, but both were harmed by Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC and C-USA's near collapse. The WAC and ASun suffered, but only after decimating the OVC and Southland. The ASun in particular had the potential to eventually morph into a southern MVFC before C-USA began accepting any program with a pulse. ***** rolls downhill.

UNAPride
May 27th, 2022, 12:35 PM
Yes it does. Tarleton State is pretty much gone in a few years based on based on how they are doing everything they can to move up to FBS weakening the WAC further. Only hope for them would be to try and encourage some of the Big Sky schools or find some D2 move-ups to replenish.

Rumors still swirling that the WAC will look to reclaim their spot in FBS in a few years. Some say it's not possible Others say it is. We shall see.

So, maybe Tarleton (and others, including some in the ASUN) will just wait it out in the WAC.

Daytripper
May 27th, 2022, 01:46 PM
Rumors still swirling that the WAC will look to reclaim their spot in FBS in a few years. Some say it's not possible Others say it is. We shall see.

So, maybe Tarleton (and others, including some in the ASUN) will just wait it out in the WAC.

I have no inside knowledge, but I would imagine that if there was a real statistical possibility of the WAC making the jump in a relatively short amount of time (say, within 5 years), I don't think Sam Houston would have bolted for CUSA. We would have preferred that few extra years to be more ready.

UNAPride
May 27th, 2022, 01:57 PM
I have no inside knowledge, but I would imagine that if there was a real statistical possibility of the WAC making the jump in a relatively short amount of time (say, within 5 years), I don't think Sam Houston would have bolted for CUSA. We would have preferred that few extra years to be more ready.

I hear ya, but I'm being told that Jax State was made aware of this scenario and didn't want to wait. I mean, I get it. They've been waiting for years to finally get an invite. SHSU, maybe not so much.

I think folks were afraid not to take the invites from CUSA.

JSUSoutherner
May 27th, 2022, 03:17 PM
I hear ya, but I'm being told that Jax State was made aware of this scenario and didn't want to wait. I mean, I get it. They've been waiting for years to finally get an invite. SHSU, maybe not so much.

I think folks were afraid not to take the invites from CUSA.
JSU was 100% going to jump on the first FBS opportunity that popped up. It was a surprise that it came so soon. From what Seitz has said, from being contacted by CUSA to guage our interest and us signing the dotted line was less than a week.

Catatonic
June 1st, 2022, 06:29 AM

apart from Tarleton I don’t believe any of the schools in the WAC have current FBS aspirations.

UNAPride
June 5th, 2022, 01:28 PM
apart from Tarleton I don’t believe any of the schools in the WAC have current FBS aspirations.

That's not what I'm hearing, even since your reply.

Check this out: https://unapride.proboards.com/thread/1569/cusa-wac-asun

Libertine
June 5th, 2022, 09:11 PM

Now, that's funny. C-USA talked to the four teams they did invite (Liberty, Jax State, Sam and New Mex St) and two others that they chose not to invite (EKU and Tarleton). At this point, that's the end of the list. Anything beyond that -- especially some multi-conference conspiracy theory featuring commissioner musical chairs that would take years to pull off -- is tin foil hat stuff.

katss07
June 5th, 2022, 11:34 PM
I wouldn’t go as far as saying SHSU “hasn’t been waiting for this”. To the extent of Jacksonville State? No way. But SHSU ran feasibility studies when TXST did in 2007, as well as in 2009 when the Bobcats moved into the WAC. Keep in mind, the athletic regime has more or less been the same for decades. Bobby Williams had always said his intent was to go FBS, as outlandish as it seemed until CUSA came calling 15 years later.

They’ve been planning on an expanded Bowers and an indoor practice facility for years, two things that will be essential to success in the FBS. Pg 66 in the 2013 Master Plan update. https://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr:65dd7b5b-8b42-4d44-b1e1-7bef6253830f/SHSU%20-%202013%20Campus%20Master%20Plan%20UPDATE.pdf

Is SHSU ready for the FBS? I don’t think so, we’ll see how it goes though. Still, Bobby Williams and the athletic department have indeed been waiting for this moment for some time.

katss07
June 5th, 2022, 11:52 PM

Not happening. CUSA just passed up on EKU, as well presumably other schools on this list. Why would they turn around and work with the Atlantic Sun to merge? If CUSA teams don’t want EKU, why would they agree to play Central Arkansas or Austin Peay?

Almost as dumb as the rumor that UNA and EKU rejected a CUSA invite.

Catatonic
June 6th, 2022, 07:40 AM

The original plan for reviving WAC football was to develop Western and Southwestern Divisions. The problem has been that no Big Sky teams other than Southern Utah are remotely interested.

atthewbon
June 6th, 2022, 07:58 AM
https://twitter.com/coachtyronenix/status/1533195718785220608?s=21&t=nYBUZtrvKZE_h3reypNDLw

This seems to be hinting at something…

Daytripper
June 6th, 2022, 11:00 AM
https://twitter.com/coachtyronenix/status/1533195718785220608?s=21&t=nYBUZtrvKZE_h3reypNDLw

Seems like more than an hint. Sounds like he is making a statement with his #FBS.

UNAPride
June 6th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Not happening. CUSA just passed up on EKU, as well presumably other schools on this list. Why would they turn around and work with the Atlantic Sun to merge? If CUSA teams don’t want EKU, why would they agree to play Central Arkansas or Austin Peay?

Almost as dumb as the rumor that UNA and EKU rejected a CUSA invite.

I don't want UNA to be in FBS but I'm just relaying what I read from a guy that's been right on about 90% of everything he posts about expansion. I hope he's wrong on this one.

UNAPride
June 6th, 2022, 12:26 PM

Yeah, Tarleton is chomping at the bit to get to FBS. I'm not sure why. LOL. Texas A&M only has about 45K more students (and a bazillion more dollars) than Tarleton State does.

Catatonic
June 6th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Matt Brown, the definitive source for FCS realignment news had this to say about FCS to FBS

“ Officials at WAC, Southland and ASUN institutions, as well as conference offices, confirmed to me that low-level conversations have been had about additional ways the three leagues can work together. One idea that had been discussed would be to find ways to facilitate allowing any of their interested members to pursue FBS membership immediately, while maintaining membership in their current conferences for the rest of their sports. Those institutions would then enter into a scheduling agreement, seek to secure bowl invites, etc. “
Think of it as not-quite-but-almost a new conference. Sort of.”

No mention of working working with CUSA

- - - Updated - - -

Daytripper
June 6th, 2022, 01:31 PM
Yeah, Tarleton is chomping at the bit to get to FBS. I'm not sure why. LOL. Texas A&M only has about 45K more students (and a bazillion more dollars) than Tarleton State does.

Tarleton is part of the TAMU system, with potential access to all of that money. If TAMU wants them to go FBS, money will be the last thing standing in their way.

Sir William
June 6th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Matt Brown, the definitive source for FCS realignment news had this to say about FCS to FBS

“ Officials at WAC, Southland and ASUN institutions, as well as conference offices, confirmed to me that low-level conversations have been had about additional ways the three leagues can work together. One idea that had been discussed would be to find ways to facilitate allowing any of their interested members to pursue FBS membership immediately, while maintaining membership in their current conferences for the rest of their sports. Those institutions would then enter into a scheduling agreement, seek to secure bowl invites, etc. “

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an idea. Why not let the remaining WAC, Southland and ASUN secede from FCS, and have their own little mini-FCS playoff. it's not as if the rest of FCS would really care.

That's your cue, Hooty. xnodx Fire away.

UNAPride
June 6th, 2022, 02:39 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Did he tweet this?

EDIT: I see now. This is in his blog post from over a month ago before the ASUN and WAC announced their extended alliance. But, that's interesting info about trying to find a way for some schools to go FBS in football but not move to another conference.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/the-latest-on-fcs-realignment-including-the-wac-southland-meac-and-more/

katss07
June 6th, 2022, 04:35 PM
I wonder which schools would be interested in entertaining an FBS move? Don’t seem like too many likely candidates in either conference aside from Tarleton and EKU respectively.

Daytripper
June 6th, 2022, 04:43 PM
I wonder which schools would be interested in entertaining an FBS move? Don’t seem like too many likely candidates in either conference aside from Tarleton and EKU respectively.

If they had any institutional leadership at all, Lamar would be a good candidate with their metro area, oil money and recruiting area. But, they lack that leadership from top to bottom. Central Arkansas is also a possible candidate but I am not sure if they even want to make the jump.

UNAPride
June 6th, 2022, 05:07 PM

UCA and Kennesaw State.

Catatonic
June 6th, 2022, 06:18 PM
McNeese from the Southland. I don’t think any other school from the WAC is interested

Utgrizfan
June 6th, 2022, 06:30 PM
When looking over the teams from both Conferences the A-SUN schools definitely have more chances of getting called up then the Western ones. If CUSA was able to get the ASUN schools (outside of Austin Peay) and split with the WAC could have a Conference looking like:
EAST:
Liberty, WKU, EKU, FIU, KSU
STATES: (VA, KY, FL, GA)

WEST
UCA, JSU, UNA, LT, MTSU
STATES: (AL, LA, TN, AR)

Ideally you'd make the cut off at Louisiana and Arkansas and focus East from there unless the CUSA is dead set on staying in Texas. However going off the cooperation talks they'd have to throw the WAC a bone.

The WAC would then HAVE to convince schools from the MVFC and Big Sky to make the move in order to make the FBS jump which would be a much harder proposition. The Western CUSA schools they'd be left over with:

NMSU, UTEP, SHSU

The best FCS schools they could add or schools that would want to be FBS:

NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, Tarleton State, SFA, UTRGV, UT-Tech, NAU, Missouri State, UNI, Idaho, Weber State, North Dakota, South Dakota

Pretty unlikely but they could form a pretty solid conference out of the list of those teams.

Libertine
June 6th, 2022, 10:24 PM
McNeese from the Southland.

But why would they right now? The deal that the Southland gave them to stay home gives McNeese an unprecedented level of control over their own conference. Basically, it's become the Southland Conference presented by McNeese State, directed by McNeese State and starring McNeese State. Contractually, McNeese literally has the right to change the name of the Southland to anything they choose, including Rowdy and The Inconsequential's if they want. On their best day, not even Texas had that kind of influence in their conference. Why would McNeese bail on that amount of power so soon after getting it?

Catatonic
June 7th, 2022, 05:33 AM
But why would they right now? The deal that the Southland gave them to stay home gives McNeese an unprecedented level of control over their own conference. Basically, it's become the Southland Conference presented by McNeese State, directed by McNeese State and starring McNeese State. Contractually, McNeese literally has the right to change the name of the Southland to anything they choose, including Rowdy and The Inconsequential's if they want. On their best day, not even Texas had that kind of influence in their conference. Why would McNeese bail on that amount of power so soon after getting it?

Depends on how badly they want to move to FBS.

Speaking of McNeese’s unprecedented power, if I were UIW I’d want nothing to do with the Southland given the amount of power McNeese now holds.

UNAPride
June 7th, 2022, 12:44 PM
Depends on how badly they want to move to FBS.

Speaking of McNeese’s unprecedented power, if I were UIW I’d want nothing to do with the Southland given the amount of power McNeese now holds.

I was surprised (for the reason you mention) to read in the blog you shared that they are considering staying in the Southland. I get it but the deal the conference gave McNeese to stay is pretty wild.

UNAPride
June 8th, 2022, 04:06 PM
From STATS FCS Football:

Having never met previously, Austin Peay and Stephen F. Austin have scheduled a home-and-home series:

at Nacogdoches, Texas on Aug. 31, 2024
at Clarksville, Tennessee, on Sept. 20, 2025

The Cats
June 8th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Did he tweet this?

EDIT: I see now. This is in his blog post from over a month ago before the ASUN and WAC announced their extended alliance. But, that's interesting info about trying to find a way for some schools to go FBS in football but not move to another conference.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/the-latest-on-fcs-realignment-including-the-wac-southland-meac-and-more/

Please tell me which FBS conference would take a football only member?

Daytripper
June 8th, 2022, 07:16 PM

I heard the Big 10 was trying to pull NDSU as a football only member...xcoffeex

katss07
June 8th, 2022, 07:25 PM
If NDSU and SDSU have any interest in the FBS at all, CUSA should extend them both fb-only invites (neither would likely accept but worth a shot).

The Cats
June 8th, 2022, 07:25 PM
I heard the Big 10 was trying to pull NDSU as a football only member...xcoffeex

sure....xpopcornx

EKU05
June 8th, 2022, 07:26 PM

If I recall correctly, the post from Matt Brown suggested the teams attempting to go FBS as independents when they are ready and forming some kind of a scheduling alliance with each other. I'm not in favor of approaching it this way I don't think, but it's an innovative thought.

Libertine
June 8th, 2022, 09:46 PM

The American has one but Navy's is a unique circumstance.

taper
June 8th, 2022, 09:58 PM
If NDSU and SDSU have any interest in the FBS at all, CUSA should extend them both fb-only invites (neither would likely accept but worth a shot).
Why would the CUSA do that? NCAA requires 8 all sports members to be an FBS conference. CUSA is on the ragged edge of keeping that. FB affiliates are useless. Navy and Hawaii are the only G5 affiliates and I hope you can see why those two are different.

katss07
June 8th, 2022, 11:07 PM
Why would the CUSA do that? NCAA requires 8 all sports members to be an FBS conference. CUSA is on the ragged edge of keeping that. FB affiliates are useless. Navy and Hawaii are the only G5 affiliates and I hope you can see why those two are different.
Idk, maybe to try and improve as a football conference? Seems like an important thing to do given it’s current state.

Catatonic
June 9th, 2022, 04:59 AM
Matt Brown reported officials from the WAC, ASUN, and Southland Conferences had held ‘low level” discussions about this idea.

UNAPride
June 9th, 2022, 01:07 PM

I'm not sure what he's meaning really. Here's that part of his blog post:

Any additional defections would put the WAC in a tricky position, football-wise, and they're not the only league facing a potential number crunch. And that's lead to some interesting, out-of-the-box conversations

Should IWU decide to remain in the Southland (as of this writing, that is an open question), the WAC would have just five football playing-members: Dixie State, Southern Utah, Abilene Christian, SFA and Tarleton State. A sixth school, UTRGV, is planning on starting an FCS football program, but won't be ready until 2025.

One potential option, I'm told, is to renew the league's previous agreement to combine with the ASUN. The ASUN's current FCS members for 2022 include Austin Peay, Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Kennesaw State and North Alabama. At least three of those programs are considered by industry analysts as potential FBS candidates in the near future.

Officials at WAC, Southland and ASUN institutions, as well as conference offices, confirmed to me that low-level conversations have been had about additional ways the three leagues can work together. One idea that had been discussed would be to find ways to facilitate allowing any of their interested members to pursue FBS membership immediately, while maintaining membership in their current conferences for the rest of their sports. Those institutions would then enter into a scheduling agreement, seek to secure bowl invites, etc.

Think of it as not-quite-but-almost a new conference. Sort of.

There are several logistical and administrative challenges to this proposal. Could those independents potentially secure revenue from the next College Football Playoff plan? Would bylaws permit this move? If those bylaws are being rewritten, do the current bylaws even matter?

The auto-bid math is a major challenge for several FCS leagues. The OVC and Big South solved their problem, at least in the short term, by combining leagues. Over the last several months, I'm told officials at the Southland and ASUN had similar conversations with each other, as well as the Big South and OVC.

Finding a way to simply say, let EKU, Central Arkansas, Tarleton State and Kennesaw jump to FCS now, ask for forgiveness instead of permission, and figure out the rest of the bylaw stuff later, could end up being a potential option down the line.

Catatonic
June 14th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Matt Brown is reporting this morning that it looks like UIW will follow through with its planned move to the WAC.

Daytripper
June 14th, 2022, 09:46 AM
Matt Brown is reporting this morning that it looks like UIW will follow through with its planned move to the WAC.

It's a better fit than the Southland, which now includes a bunch of planets the revolve around the McNeese sun.

caribbeanhen
June 14th, 2022, 09:50 AM
It's a better fit than the Southland, which now includes a bunch of planets the revolve around the McNeese sun.

This Post is like a flashback to the Age of Aquarius

UNAPride
June 14th, 2022, 01:00 PM

Good. I would assume that, barring some additions over the next few months, the alliance will continue in 2023 with a full combined "conference" schedule.

The last time UNA played ACU was at Jerry World in Dallas in 2011. Both were highly ranked in D2 for the LSC Challenge in Dallas.

This is a fun video of the ACU fan experience at the game.

https://youtu.be/LlK0VznLvHI?t=127

Utgrizfan
June 14th, 2022, 11:56 PM
Smart decision on UIWs part, seems to be more upside in the WAC then the Southland. Hopefully Tarleton State and UT-Tech will get the waiver to be eligible sooner.

Daytripper
June 15th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Smart decision on UIWs part, seems to be more upside in the WAC then the Southland. Hopefully Tarleton State and UT-Tech will get the waiver to be eligible sooner.

Mark my words, Tarleton will be a top three football team in that league in short order..

Libertine
June 16th, 2022, 08:06 AM
Mark my words, Tarleton will be a top three football team in that league in short order..

QFT. The Texans are merely passing through FCS.

UNAPride
June 17th, 2022, 09:57 PM
Four ASUN/WAC games mentioned in this article.

10 Best Season-Opening Games in FCS College Football

SIU @ UIW
SFA @ Jax State
MO St @ UCA
KSU @ Samford

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/06/10-best-season-opening-games-in-fcs-college-football/

BEAR
June 18th, 2022, 02:55 PM

SIU @ UIW
SFA @ Jax State
MO St @ UCA
KSU @ Samford

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/06/10-best-season-opening-games-in-fcs-college-football/

Mo State vs UCA is always a good close game. I've seen last minute TDs to a 53 yard field goal for the win. Good games between the two.

Daytripper
June 18th, 2022, 05:12 PM

SIU @ UIW
SFA @ Jax State
MO St @ UCA
KSU @ Samford

SFA is going to hammer JSU.

Catatonic
June 19th, 2022, 08:42 AM
Seems likely, but not this year. I’m thinking 6th for 2022.

1. Sam Houston
2. SFA
3. UIW
4. ACU tie
4. Southern Utah
6. Tarleton
7. Utah Tech
8. Lamar

UNAPride
June 24th, 2022, 11:12 AM
One less to worry about in the WAC.

https://crescentcitysports.com/university-of-the-incarnate-word-staying-in-the-southland-conference/

Laker
June 24th, 2022, 11:27 AM
Any movement on UTRGV for football yet? I thought that they were starting in 2023 and then got moved to 2024.

Lion-Fan
June 24th, 2022, 01:11 PM
Is the WAC dead in the water?

Utgrizfan
June 24th, 2022, 01:37 PM
I think the WAC will be fine in the short term, however they seriously need to step up their school recruiting and only add members who have Football. Options include:

-Big Sky boots Cal Poly and UC-Davis they then join the WAC (unlikely)
-Try to add Big Sky schools like UNC, NAU (unlikely)
-Convince some more D2 schools to move up such as WTA&M
-Encourage current members to add Football (GCU, UVU)

caribbeanhen
June 24th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Is the WAC dead in the water?

The Rebel WAC

UNAPride
June 24th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Well, not as part of the ASUN/WAC alliance. Also, in 2025, UTRGV will add football and the two schools complete transition from D2, they'll have their six for a full AQ.

ACU
SFA
Tarleton
Southern Utah
UTRGV
Utah Tech

Daytripper
June 24th, 2022, 07:06 PM
Well, not as part of the ASUN/WAC alliance. Also, in 2025, UTRGV will add football and the two schools complete transition from D2, they'll have their six for a full AQ.

ACU
SFA
Tarleton
Southern Utah
UTRGV
Utah Tech

The WAC is just a quick layover for Tarleton. They are eyeing FBS.

Catatonic
June 25th, 2022, 05:24 AM
I think the WAC will be fine in the short term, however they seriously need to step up their school recruiting and only add members who have Football. Options include:

-Big Sky boots Cal Poly and UC-Davis they then join the WAC (unlikely)
-Try to add Big Sky schools like UNC, NAU (unlikely)
-Convince some more D2 schools to move up such as WTA&M
-Encourage current members to add Football (GCU, UVU)

Cal Poly and UCD. The California law banning state supported agencies and institutions frim travel to Texas makes this option extremely unlikely.
Big Sky Schools- Add Weber State to the list of schools that would be a logical fit but are unlikely to move.
WTAMU is highly unlikely to be receptive to a WAC invite under its current president. Central Oklahoma might be worth a phone call.
add UTA to the list of current WAC members to encourage to add football. Unless there is a change of heart by one if these schools, color this scenario unlikely as well.

Libertine
June 30th, 2022, 01:40 PM
More potential trouble for the WAC on the horizon. ESPN is quoting a source that says USC and UCLA are looking to bolt the Pac-12 for the B1G as early as 2024 (https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34173688/source-usc-ucla-considering-move-pac-12-big-ten). If that happens, the Pac-12 would likely raid the Mountain West for at least two more members -- my best guess says San Diego State and Boise, at a minimum -- meaning that the MWC would turn around and raid C-USA, the Sun Belt or even the Big Sky to get those numbers back; whichever conference is on the losing end of that deal would more than likely raid the WAC.

Go Green
June 30th, 2022, 01:43 PM
the Pac-12 would likely raid the Mountain West for at least two more members -- my best guess says San Diego State and Boise, at a minimum -- meaning that the MWC would turn around and raid C-USA, the Sun Belt or even the Big Sky to get those numbers back; whichever conference is on the losing end of that deal would more than likely raid the WAC.

They could also raid the Big 12 for replacements.

Or several schools from both conferences could leave their weaker brethren to form a new conference.

Libertine
June 30th, 2022, 02:11 PM
They could also raid the Big 12 for replacements.

True. While I don't see a current Big XII candidate that the Pac-12 would go for, I could easily see BYU and Houston abandoning their Big XII plans to jump to the Pac-12. But, that just means the Big XII raids the MWC instead and the conference food chain still follows from there.

Given the TV $$$ tied up in FBS football, I really don't see any current FBS conference members setting out to form an entirely new conference without a hefty TV contract in hand.

jajfitz
June 30th, 2022, 05:04 PM
Most likely is the Pac-12 minus two adding up to six schools. Kansas, Houston, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU are my guess. BYU has the "no events on Sunday" rule which has caused problems with the Pac-12 in the past. The Pac 12-2 doesn't need the San Diego market, much less Boise.

Daytripper
June 30th, 2022, 05:13 PM
Most likely is the Pac-12 minus two adding up to six schools. Kansas, Houston, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU are my guess. BYU has the "no events on Sunday" rule which has caused problems with the Pac-12 in the past. The Pac 12-2 doesn't need the San Diego market, much less Boise.

I can see the Big 12 poaching Colorado, and the two Arizona schools...and maybe Utah. I don't think the PAC 12 is a better conference than the Big 12. The biggest drawback to PAC 12 membership, especially for football, is the late game-time starts that lose TV eyeballs. The Big 12 doesn't have that problem.

Utgrizfan
June 30th, 2022, 05:32 PM
I'm personally hoping it allows Montana, MSU and maybe the Dakota State schools to get into the MWC. Think they'd go after UTEP and NMSU first though.

Utgrizfan
June 30th, 2022, 05:34 PM
That's a pretty strong rumor going around, the Big12 adds CU, UT and the AZ schools solidifying the Western wing of the Conference. If Kansas goes Independent for Football and Big East for Basketball (another discussion happening) the Big12 could add Memphis or USF.

UNHWildcat18
June 30th, 2022, 11:24 PM
IMO we are going to a power 4 conference, none of the PAC12 schools want to stay in the pac12 now that UCLA and USC are gone.
Oregon Stanford CAL Washington ->Big Ten
Arizona Arizona State UTAH Colorado -> Big 12
Washington state, Oregon state -> MWC (better than independant or AAC IMHO)
Clemson and FSU-> SEC
2 of Navy, Memphis, UCONN, Temple, South Florida ->ACC

I really hate this move, its all greed and money. No more geographical and historical tradition, this is going to have a ripple that's really going to ruin college football IMO

Sir William
July 1st, 2022, 07:28 AM
I think we’re ultimately headed toward 3 superconferences: SEC, BIG10 and BIG12.

The BIG12 will not be as big as the SEC or BIG10, but they will survive and thrive with at least 2-4 PAC12 schools joining them in the aftermath. This move by USC and UCLA, preceded by Texas and OU’s move to the SEC, will result in major upheaval for both the PAC12 and the ACC. Even with grants of rights, teams like Clemson, FSU, etc, will leave for much bigger paychecks. Look for both the SEC and BIG10 to poach the ACC into irrelevance. Will be real interesting to see what the ACC looks like in 6-7 years, and which schools get left behind.

Go Green
July 1st, 2022, 08:14 AM
I think we’re ultimately headed toward 3 superconferences: SEC, BIG10 and BIG12.

The BIG12 will not be as big as the SEC or BIG10, but they will survive and thrive with at least 2-4 PAC12 schools joining them in the aftermath. This move by USC and UCLA, preceded by Texas and OU’s move to the SEC, will result in major upheaval for both the PAC12 and the ACC. Even with grants of rights, teams like Clemson, FSU, etc, will leave for much bigger paychecks. Look for both the SEC and BIG10 to poach the ACC into irrelevance. Will be real interesting to see what the ACC looks like in 6-7 years, and which schools get left behind.

This is my prediction as well. While I can see the Big 10 taking Stanford, Washington, and Oregon, I believe that they would offer a spot to North Carolina before they do to Cal.

FUBeAR
July 1st, 2022, 08:24 AM

The BIG12 will not be as big as the SEC or BIG10, but they will survive and thrive with former PAC12 schools joining them in the aftermath. This move by USC and UCLA, preceded by Texas and OU’s move to the SEC, will result in major upheaval for both the PAC12 and the ACC. Even with grants of rights, teams like Clemson, FSU, etc, will leave for much bigger paychecks. Look for both the SEC and BIG10 to poach the ACC into irrelevance. Will be real interesting to see what the ACC looks like in 6-7 years, and which schools get left behind.
Like UNHWildcat18, FUBeAR sees the ‘end game’ as 4 SuperConferences - SEC, ACC, B1G, and BIGXII…with 16 Teams in each conference and those 64 schools separating themselves from the rest…with their own rules, finances, etc. And 4 16-Team Conferences sets up a nicely structured Football Playoff and MarchMadness/Big Dance.

With the OU, UTx, USC, and UCLA moves, the B1G & SEC have their 16. ACC needs to add 1. Maybe they get UCF or Cindy to ‘swing’ from the BIGXXII. That leaves the BIGXXII with 11…so they pick up 5 of the remaining 10 PAC12 schools…which leaves 5 PAC12 schools looking for a ‘home’…So…maybe, each Conference goes to 17 Teams and they kick one school…Houston, maybe, (back) to the curb.

FUBeAR
July 1st, 2022, 08:38 AM
Maybe FUBeAR is naive or biased due to his upbringing in the center lane of Tobacco Road…but as important as Football Money is, ACC Basketball and the traditions of ACC Basketball still mean A LOT to UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. Might even put Virginia and maybe even Georgia Tech into that group.

Just don’t see those 4, 5, or possibly 6 (GT might leave if returning to the SEC was offered) schools having any interest leaving the ACC and would see them doing everything in their power to hold the ACC together. Also, while FUBeAR thinks Clemson & FSU would be open to leaving the ACC, he thinks they would only do so to join the SEC.

Go Green
July 1st, 2022, 09:03 AM
ACC Basketball and the traditions of ACC Basketball still mean A LOT to UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. Might even put Virginia and maybe even Georgia Tech into that group.

It meant a lot to Maryland as well.

But...

caribbeanhen
July 1st, 2022, 09:08 AM
Maybe FUBeAR is naive or biased due to his upbringing in the center lane of Tobacco Road…but as important as Football Money is, ACC Basketball and the traditions of ACC Basketball still mean A LOT to UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. Might even put Virginia and maybe even Georgia Tech into that group.

Just don’t see those 4, 5, or possibly 6 (GT might leave if returning to the SEC was offered) schools having any interest leaving the ACC and would see them doing everything in their power to hold the ACC together. Also, while FUBeAR thinks Clemson & FSU would be open to leaving the ACC, he thinks they would only do so to join the SEC.

I left home 40 years ago knowing ACC basketball games were legendary in my ever expanding mind

7 teams With first player from that era that popped into my head
Maryland - Brian Magid
North Carolina - Phil Ford of Rocky Mount
North Carolina state Monte Towel
Wake Forest Skip Brown
Duke Jim Spanarkle
Clemson Tree Rollins
Virginia Jeff Lamp

Georgia Tech was the Johnny Steppe come lately

My apologies for the diversion but 70s ACC basketball gets a pass

FUBeAR
July 1st, 2022, 10:42 AM
It meant a lot to Maryland as well.

But...
Nah…More of a love/hate thing with Maryland & ACC Hoops. They always viewed themselves (and were viewed by many ACC Fans) as the ‘outsider,’ the interloper, the ‘yankee’ team…and when they made the move to the B1G, their Athletics Dept was having serious financial challenges…

“As a result of a committee's recommendation to cut athletics costs, funding for eight teams was eliminated on November 21, 2011, a move supported by University President Wallace Loh. However, the president also showed support for a "Save the Programs Campaign", which gave the teams a chance to raise eight years of total program costs by June 30, 2012. The affected teams were men's cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track, men's swimming and diving, men's tennis, women's acrobatics and tumbling, women's swimming and diving, and women's water polo. On July 1, 2012, the University officially cut seven of those teams. The men's outdoor track team raised $888,000 of a target amount of $940,000, which was deemed sufficient to avoid elimination. On November 19, 2012, the University of Maryland's Board of Regents voted to withdraw from the ACC to join the Big Ten Conference effective July 1, 2014.”

Libertine
July 1st, 2022, 10:45 AM

I think we'd all like to believe that but, in 2022, which really means more: decades of tradition or a billon dollars a year?

atthewbon
July 1st, 2022, 03:15 PM
Nah…More of a love/hate thing with Maryland & ACC Hoops. They always viewed themselves (and were viewed by many ACC Fans) as the ‘outsider,’ the interloper, the ‘yankee’ team…and when they made the move to the B1G, their Athletics Dept was having serious financial challenges…

“As a result of a committee's recommendation to cut athletics costs, funding for eight teams was eliminated on November 21, 2011, a move supported by University President Wallace Loh. However, the president also showed support for a "Save the Programs Campaign", which gave the teams a chance to raise eight years of total program costs by June 30, 2012. The affected teams were men's cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track, men's swimming and diving, men's tennis, women's acrobatics and tumbling, women's swimming and diving, and women's water polo. On July 1, 2012, the University officially cut seven of those teams. The men's outdoor track team raised $888,000 of a target amount of $940,000, which was deemed sufficient to avoid elimination. On November 19, 2012, the University of Maryland's Board of Regents voted to withdraw from the ACC to join the Big Ten Conference effective July 1, 2014.”

As a Maryland fan idk if I’d say we viewed ourselves as outsiders. But there we’re definitely some in the ACC who did. A lot of Maryland fans were pissed when they left. As a younger fan I wasn’t as much (Duke are still cowards for never scheduling us since tho) I bet a lot of those fans are now glad Maryland left though myself included. The move was undoubtedly money oriented and I bet if North Carolina gets offered by the Big Ten or SEC and can find a way out of the grant of rights they’d jump all over it.

walliver
July 1st, 2022, 03:16 PM
Wake Forest should just come back to the SoCon ( they would probably be uppity and look for the CAA, however). In the long term, is there a place for a school that small at the big boy table?

atthewbon
July 1st, 2022, 03:18 PM
It’s going to be interesting to see the ramifications of this are on fcs football. Seems to early to tell what they’ll be though. It’s going to be a very interesting couple of months in the college sports landscape.

FUBeAR
July 1st, 2022, 03:55 PM
Wake Forest should just come back to the SoCon ( they would probably be uppity and look for the CAA, however). In the long term, is there a place for a school that small at the big boy table?
Love to have the Deacons & the Devils back in the SoCon, but you know those big-time schools like Chatt, ETSU, and WCU would thumb their noses at having 2 small privates like Wake & Duke join their SoCon.

bonarae
July 6th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Kennesaw State rumored to build a new ~40,000 seat stadium as part of its multi-sport complex. Thoughts?

JSUSoutherner
July 6th, 2022, 08:25 PM
Kennesaw State rumored to build a new ~40,000 seat stadium as part of its multi-sport complex. Thoughts?
Gonna make their 4,000 person crowds look even more pathetic.

Libertine
July 6th, 2022, 08:43 PM
Gonna make their 4,000 person crowds look even more pathetic.

Seriously. Their current (soccer) stadium capacity is just over 8K and they haven't come close to hitting that in three years.

FUBeAR
July 6th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Rumor emerged from 1 Tweet by 1 guy.

Land he cites for multi-sport complex was purchased by KSU over 7 years ago… https://news.kennesaw.edu/stories/2015/Board-of-Regents-approves-Kennesaw-States-acquisition-of-BrandsMart-property.php

“KENNESAW, Ga. (Feb. 11, 2015) — In the final phase of Kennesaw State University’s acquisition of the property formerly occupied by the Kennesaw BrandsMart USA store, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia today approved $12.55 million for the purchase.
The Kennesaw State University Foundation previously acquired the property — approximately 16.775 acres at 3305 Busbee Drive — in 2014 on behalf of the University. Today’s action formally transfers ownership of the property to the University. The BOR’s approval came nearly a year after it authorized the University’s lease of the retail store and its expansive parking lot from the Foundation in order to allow development to begin.
The development includes repurposing the retail building to create space for a student health center, additional space for labs and classrooms, a new marching band program and critically needed storage. In addition, the property will add 720 new parking spaces that will be accessible through Kennesaw State’s park-and-ride bus shuttle program.”

Some of this stuff has been done - parking, park-and-ride bus shuttle facility, something called the “KSU Center” which is also denoted as a Holocaust Museum.

No indications, at this point, of stadium / “mixed-use sports complex” under construction at this site.

JSUSoutherner
July 6th, 2022, 10:11 PM
Rumor emerged from 1 Tweet by 1 guy.

Land he cites for multi-sport complex was purchased by KSU over 7 years ago… https://news.kennesaw.edu/stories/2015/Board-of-Regents-approves-Kennesaw-States-acquisition-of-BrandsMart-property.php

“KENNESAW, Ga. (Feb. 11, 2015) — In the final phase of Kennesaw State University’s acquisition of the property formerly occupied by the Kennesaw BrandsMart USA store, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia today approved $12.55 million for the purchase.
The Kennesaw State University Foundation previously acquired the property — approximately 16.775 acres at 3305 Busbee Drive — in 2014 on behalf of the University. Today’s action formally transfers ownership of the property to the University. The BOR’s approval came nearly a year after it authorized the University’s lease of the retail store and its expansive parking lot from the Foundation in order to allow development to begin.
The development includes repurposing the retail building to create space for a student health center, additional space for labs and classrooms, a new marching band program and critically needed storage. In addition, the property will add 720 new parking spaces that will be accessible through Kennesaw State’s park-and-ride bus shuttle program.”

Some of this stuff has been done - parking, park-and-ride bus shuttle facility, something called the “KSU Center” which is also denoted as a Holocaust Museum.

No indications, at this point, of stadium / “mixed-use sports complex” under construction at this site.
My brother lives about half a mile from this spot. They aren't doing jack with it other than using it as a band storage unit and practice field. They could demo the property and build a stadium.

But why?

WestCoastAggie
July 7th, 2022, 10:01 AM
My brother lives about half a mile from this spot. They aren't doing jack with it other than using it as a band storage unit and practice field. They could demo the property and build a stadium.

But why?

Their current stadium was built to be expanded to 30K. Why would they build a whole new facility in this economic environment?

Sir William
July 7th, 2022, 10:46 AM
Hey, not throwing shade at Kennesaw, but I can’t see a financially sound reason to expand current stadium or build new one with 30k capacity (or even 20k), when you can only get about 4k fans to show up currently.

Unless…Kennesaw is in process of making the decision to move up to FBS and join CUSA with Jacksonville St and Sam Houston.

Kenny is a commuter school with approx 37-40k students, the vast majority likely being Georgia, Alabama or Auburn fans. When you consider the football success they’ve had in their short history and (in particular) the accolades and rankings they’ve received, coupled with the fact that the vast majority of their student body doesn’t show up on Saturdays, it seems there is little interest in Kenny outside of Craig Haley and a handful of loyal alumni. Again, this isn’t a criticism, just the apparent reality. Seems the likely way to get a bigger crowd to show up is to move up and start scheduling mainly FBS teams, and even then it’s probably an enormous crap shoot.

Am I missing something here?

EKU05
July 7th, 2022, 02:01 PM

I'm seeing the same rumor, but the spots I've seen it has it at 30,000. Either way it's a pretty bold move with seemingly no lead-up fundraising.

JSUSoutherner
July 7th, 2022, 04:18 PM
I'm seeing the same rumor, but the spots I've seen it has it at 30,000. Either way it's a pretty bold move with seemingly no lead-up fundraising.
If Kennesaw wants it, they can afford it. The question is would it pay off? The answer is most certainly not. Not unless they change some things around there.

UNAPride
July 12th, 2022, 07:37 PM
With Lamar's surprise announcement, the ASUN/WAC Alliance is down to just 8 playoff-eligible participants (5 ASUN/3 WAC). I'm eager to hear how the AQ will be chosen.

https://footballscoop.com/news/conference-realignment-continues-to-spin-at-the-fcs-level-lamar-southland-wac

Daytripper
July 12th, 2022, 10:05 PM
With Lamar's surprise announcement, the ASUN/WAC Alliance is down to just 8 playoff-eligible participants (5 ASUN/3 WAC). I'm eager to hear how the AQ will be chosen.

https://footballscoop.com/news/conference-realignment-continues-to-spin-at-the-fcs-level-lamar-southland-wac

However they decide, I will put my money on SFA for the AQ.

SFA 93
July 13th, 2022, 07:30 AM
This move will cost Lamar $2 million to the WAC.

SFA will not have a home game now until Oct. 8, unless Ivey can find a replacement game.

The Jacks will need to do better on the road to pull this off.

2021: HOME: 5-0; AWAY: 3-3
2020: HOME: 4-0; AWAY: 1-4
2019: HOME: 1-3; AWAY: 2-5

JACKSONVILLE STATE (MONTGOMERY)
@ALCORN STATE
@LOUISIANA TECH
SAM HOUSTON STATE (HOUSTON)
@SOUTHERN UTAH
@ACU

SFA 93
July 13th, 2022, 08:58 AM
SFA had a record in revenue in its first season in the WAC, so SFA probably staying right where they are.

Catatonic
July 13th, 2022, 10:41 AM
This move will cost Lamar $2 million to the WAC.

SFA will not have a home game now until Oct. 8, unless Ivey can find a replacement game.

The Jacks will need to do better on the road to pull this off.

2021: HOME: 5-0; AWAY: 3-3
2020: HOME: 4-0; AWAY: 1-4
2019: HOME: 1-3; AWAY: 2-5

JACKSONVILLE STATE (MONTGOMERY)
@ALCORN STATE
@LOUISIANA TECH
SAM HOUSTON STATE (HOUSTON)
@SOUTHERN UTAH
@ACU

I’m pretty sure replacement games will be found. I mean SLC teams need to drop a bunch of OOC games to work Lamar and UIW into their schedules, and if that doesn’t work out there is always the option of playing a second game against another WAC team.

McCowboys
July 13th, 2022, 11:03 AM
I’m pretty sure replacement games will be found. I mean SLC teams need to drop a bunch of OOC games to work Lamar and UIW into their schedules, and if that doesn’t work out there is always the option of playing a second game against another WAC team.

That is (most likely) not true.
The original SLC schedule had each team playing another SLC team twice. UIW stays and replaces that duplicate SLC team.
Lamar re-enters. Each SLC school will not play one SLC team this season.
For example, McNeese was to play Nicholls twice in a home-and-home. Now UIW will replace one of those Nicholls games.
McNeese was scheduled to play Northwestern State. Most likely, Lamar will replace the Demons on the McNeese schedule.
I've been told that due to season ticket sales being completed at McNeese, the OOC games will not change.
I guess we will see.

Lion-Fan
July 13th, 2022, 11:33 AM
Agreed, basically the only additional game needed will be for Lamar since UIW will replace one of the 2 game series each team had. I believe schedules will be ready next week. HBU has already removed the 2nd game in Commerce from their online schedule. So apparently the schools already have an idea what will happen.

SFA 93
July 13th, 2022, 11:43 AM
SFA vs. SHSU home and home for 2022 :)

Daytripper
July 13th, 2022, 11:58 AM
SFA vs. SHSU home and home for 2022 :)
i'm in for this.

lionsrking2
July 13th, 2022, 03:23 PM

SLC schools not dropping anybody.

Sir William
July 13th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Southland is looking pretty stable. Any chance UCA comes back too?

Catatonic
July 13th, 2022, 04:38 PM
SLC schools not dropping anybody.

‘’Oh well, so much for that idea

BEAR
July 13th, 2022, 09:30 PM
Southland is looking pretty stable. Any chance UCA comes back too?

No. We have a new recruiting base in Florida and the Southeast (instead of just Texas and Louisiana) and our conference headquarters is in Atlanta.

ASUN only needs one more team for football. It won't be that hard to find one IMO.
I think with the way the SLC was run when we left will pretty much lock us into the ASUN. IMO too.

Catatonic
July 14th, 2022, 05:29 AM
No. We have a new recruiting base in Florida and the Southeast (instead of just Texas and Louisiana) and our conference headquarters is in Atlanta.

ASUN only needs one more team for football. It won't be that hard to find one IMO.
I think with the way the SLC was run when we left will pretty much lock us into the ASUN. IMO too.

Right now both the ASUN and the WAC are on the edge. We are both just short of six teams and we each have one school that wants to move to FBS (EKU and Tarleton). That’s why the WAC/ASUN football alliance makes so much sense for the next few years. The alliance provides us both with the stability we need and allows us to add new schools that make sense for our leagues rather than picking up anyone who expresses an interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now both the ASUN and the WAC are on the edge. We are both just short of six teams and we each have one school that wants to move to FBS (EKU and Tarleton). That’s why the WAC/ASUN football alliance makes so much sense for the next few years. The alliance provides us both with the stability we need and allows us to add new schools that make sense for our leagues rather than picking up anyone who expresses an interest.

BEAR
July 14th, 2022, 09:05 AM
I just think if things don't work out for UCA in the ASUN/WAC then it may be best for the Bears to go Sunbelt. I'm not a big fan of that conference but it is FBS and the teams are regional. Yeah, some are in Louisiana and Texas but overall the travel wouldn't be too bad.

Arkansas State, ULM, South Alabama, Louisiana, Texas State in the West.
Georgia Southern, Troy, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, and App State in the East.

A few long trips but the map doesn't look much different than it did when we were division II in the GC and playing West Florida and teams in Georgia.

Big thing for us is upgrading those last few facilities like our small football stadium. The rest are good for division I small conference play. IMO.

https://sunbeltsports.org/images/2022/2/28/SBC_2022_Map_Complete_1920x1080.jpg?width=1440&quality=80%

SFA 93
July 14th, 2022, 11:23 AM
The WAC football schedule has been updated

https://wacsports.com/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/22footballskedupdate

SFA gets NAIA Warner (never heard of them) who just started up their football program to play in the Sun Conference.

Oh boy, this should be a barn burner xrolleyesx

We do get a home and home with ACU

FUBeAR
July 14th, 2022, 11:53 AM
The WAC football schedule has been updated

https://wacsports.com/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/22footballskedupdate

SFA gets NAIA Warner (never heard of them) who just started up their football program to play in the Sun Conference.

Oh boy, this should be a barn burner xrolleyesx

We do get a home and home with ACU
Warner started Football - https://warnerroyals.com/sports/football - in 2013, the same year Mercer did. Mercer beat them 61-0 that year, but the game wasn’t that close.

Here’s a quick highlight from that matchup…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHWxi2B9YMg

SFA 93
July 14th, 2022, 12:11 PM
They played Stetson in 2016 losing only 15-30. Warner went 8-2 that season, their only winning season.

Catatonic
July 14th, 2022, 12:57 PM
My bold prediction for both ACU-SFA games is that the team in purple will win.

SFA 93
July 14th, 2022, 05:25 PM
ALL RIGHT, YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS! TIME TO FEAR THE AXE! WE WANT WARNER!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXqLh9jVQAQumUn?format=jpg&name=large

The Cats
July 14th, 2022, 06:09 PM

They've been looking for that "one more team" since they announced the original group to form ASun football.... it's been a while now, I don't think anyone is interested.

UNAPride
July 15th, 2022, 09:47 AM
They've been looking for that "one more team" since they announced the original group to form ASun football.... it's been a while now, I don't think anyone is interested.

That's not what I'm hearing.

SFA 93
July 15th, 2022, 01:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1547967503128612864/5HM3mqdo?format=jpg&name=900x900
WAC Football Media Day Set for July 19

UNAPride
July 15th, 2022, 02:27 PM
https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2022-23/photos/asun-football-media-day-promotion-article-graphic.png

The ASUN Conference hosts its 2022 Football Media Day on Friday, July 22 at the Omni Hotel at the Battery Atlanta. The event will begin with a press conference featuring comments from ASUN Deputy Commissioner Jerome Rodgers and the head coaches for each of the league's six programs that will be streamed live on ESPN+. A luncheon follows the press conference during which the 2022 Preseason All-Conference honors will be announced. A Q&A session with the coaches and student-athletes from each team will be available to view on Facebook and YouTube live streams. A complete breakdown of the ESPN+ press conference is listed below.

2022 Football Media Day Schedule

11:00 AM - 11:03 AM ET - Welcome
11:03 AM - 11:10 AM ET - ASUN Deputy Commissioner Jerome Rodgers
11:14 AM - 11:19 AM ET - Austin Peay Head Coach Scotty Walden
11:20 AM - 11:25 AM ET - Central Arkansas Head Coach Nathan Brown
11:26 AM - 11:31 AM ET - Eastern Kentucky Head Coach Walt Wells
11:32 AM - 11:37 AM ET - Jacksonville State Head Coach Rich Rodriguez
11:38 AM - 11:43 AM ET - Kennesaw State Head Coach Brian Bohannon
11:44 AM - 11:49 AM ET - North Alabama Head Coach Chris Willis

https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/20220712jrobwn

Daytripper
July 15th, 2022, 03:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1547967503128612864/5HM3mqdo?format=jpg&name=900x900
WAC Football Media Day Set for July 19

A bit awkward that it is in The Woodlands. We bailed on the WAC while The Woodlands is just south of Huntsville, is part of Sam Houston's "I-45 Corridor" where a huge chunk of their students come from, and is the home town of natty-winning QB Eric Schmid.

caribbeanhen
July 15th, 2022, 04:23 PM
A bit awkward that it is in The Woodlands. We bailed on the WAC while The Woodlands is just south of Huntsville, is part of Sam Houston's "I-45 Corridor" where a huge chunk of their students come from, and is the home town of natty-winning QB Eric Schmid.

QB Eric Schmid and Bluehen Cartys offense was really fun to watch, gonna miss you guys

FUBeAR
July 15th, 2022, 04:33 PM
https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2022-23/photos/asun-football-media-day-promotion-article-graphic.png

The ASUN Conference hosts its 2022 Football Media Day on Friday, July 22 at the Omni Hotel at the Battery Atlanta. The event will begin with a press conference featuring comments from ASUN Deputy Commissioner Jerome Rodgers and the head coaches for each of the league's six programs that will be streamed live on ESPN+. A luncheon follows the press conference during which the 2022 Preseason All-Conference honors will be announced. A Q&A session with the coaches and student-athletes from each team will be available to view on Facebook and YouTube live streams. A complete breakdown of the ESPN+ press conference is listed below.

2022 Football Media Day Schedule

11:00 AM - 11:03 AM ET - Welcome
11:03 AM - 11:10 AM ET - ASUN Deputy Commissioner Jerome Rodgers
11:14 AM - 11:19 AM ET - Austin Peay Head Coach Scotty Walden
11:20 AM - 11:25 AM ET - Central Arkansas Head Coach Nathan Brown
11:26 AM - 11:31 AM ET - Eastern Kentucky Head Coach Walt Wells
11:32 AM - 11:37 AM ET - Jacksonville State Head Coach Rich Rodriguez
11:38 AM - 11:43 AM ET - Kennesaw State Head Coach Brian Bohannon
11:44 AM - 11:49 AM ET - North Alabama Head Coach Chris Willis

https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/20220712jrobwnseems like Birmingham would make more sense, but The Battery is cool and the Braves are hosting the Angels, so maybe they can catch a game while they are in town. Maybe FUBeAR will go the few miles over to heckle the Kennesaw & JaxState peeps. Maybe APSU too after the way they treated my Paladins a few years ago.

Daytripper
July 15th, 2022, 04:43 PM
QB Eric Schmid and Bluehen Cartys offense was really fun to watch, gonna miss you guys

Schmid was just a winner. He wasn't great at any one thing, but he made the play when it needed to be made. Carty seemed to put him in good positions to succeed (when he wasn't getting crushed by d-linemen or a blitzer). We have a new grad transfer QB in Jordan Yates from Georgia Tech. Looks like a baller. Looks like Lafayette transfer Keegan Shoemaker will have to wait another season.

BEAR
July 15th, 2022, 07:37 PM

They’ve had this ASUN lineup for one year. If JSU had stayed then we’d have six. I don’t know what you define as awhile. But one year ain’t it. 😂

UNAPride
July 16th, 2022, 01:20 PM
seems like Birmingham would make more sense, but The Battery is cool and the Braves are hosting the Angels, so maybe they can catch a game while they are in town. Maybe FUBeAR will go the few miles over to heckle the Kennesaw & JaxState peeps. Maybe APSU too after the way they treated my Paladins a few years ago.

ASUN Headquarters is now in Atlanta. So, I'm sure that's why it's there.

UNAPride
July 16th, 2022, 01:24 PM
They’ve had this ASUN lineup for one year. If JSU had stayed then we’d have six. I don’t know what you define as awhile. But one year ain’t it. 

I'm hearing that the ASUN wants to stay at 14 schools and is currently vetting 9 schools (6 FCS/3 D2) to fill the two spots that will be left by Liberty and Jax State. Also, word is that UNF has been visiting all of the ASUN football schools as part of their potential quest to start football there. That would make 8 ASUN schools with football. We shall see.

Sir William
July 16th, 2022, 01:44 PM
I'm hearing that the ASUN…is currently vetting 9 schools (6 FCS/3 D2) to fill the two spots that will be left by Liberty and Jax State.

Name them.

Catatonic
July 16th, 2022, 02:43 PM
I'm hearing that the ASUN wants to stay at 14 schools and is currently vetting 9 schools (6 FCS/3 D2) to fill the two spots that will be left by Liberty and Jax State. Also, word is that UNF has been visiting all of the ASUN football schools as part of their potential quest to start football there. That would make 8 ASUN schools with football. We shall see.

is this from the same source who was saying the ASUN was dead and the WAC was moving up to FBS

CUSA, WAC AND ASUN are working together...

CUSA is eventually getting all the ASUN football schools over a period of time.

When this happens, the WAC will take back their spot on FBS. New Mexico State and UTEP will move to the WAC.

The ASUN will drop FCS football, because nobody will play football in the ASUN at that point.... (Gumbart will be the new commissioner of CUSA)

What I have heard from 3 different people from 2 different schools athletic clubs today...

- - - Updated - - -

is this from the same source who was saying the ASUN was dead and the WAC was moving up to FBS

CUSA, WAC AND ASUN are working together...

CUSA is eventually getting all the ASUN football schools over a period of time.

When this happens, the WAC will take back their spot on FBS. New Mexico State and UTEP will move to the WAC.

The ASUN will drop FCS football, because nobody will play football in the ASUN at that point.... (Gumbart will be the new commissioner of CUSA)

What I have heard from 3 different people from 2 different schools athletic clubs today...

UNAPride
July 16th, 2022, 02:58 PM
is this from the same source...

Yes, now a UNA Athletic Club board member. It looks like the latest WAC deflections have likely killed any of that now. Things change, obviously, looking at FBS right now. We shall see.

Catatonic
July 16th, 2022, 03:55 PM
His most recent realignment fantasy sounds way more realistic than the last one.

The Cats
July 16th, 2022, 06:54 PM

Me thinks this post should have been made in the "Bold Predictions" thread...

Catatonic
July 17th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Most FCS ‘experts’ have Kennesaw as the top team in the ASUN and SFA as the top team in the WAC, with Kennesaw getting the autobid and SFA picking up an at large playoff invite.

concur or disagree? Who are the surprise teams on each side of the alliance that will finish better than expected?

UNAPride
July 17th, 2022, 10:01 AM
Me thinks this post should have been made in the "Bold Predictions" thread...

LOL. Bold? Nothing bold about that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Most FCS ‘experts’ have Kennesaw as the top team in the ASUN and SFA as the top team in the WAC, with Kennesaw getting the autobid and SFA picking up an at large playoff invite.

concur or disagree? Who are the surprise teams on each side of the alliance that will finish better than expected?

I think KSU is gonna get a rude awakening playing a full ASUN schedule this year. They barely escaped UNA with a last minute win last year.

FUBeAR
July 17th, 2022, 11:10 AM
North Florida still starting up their Football Program? They’ve been doing that for about 10 years now…

UNF’s undefeated football team - https://unfspinnaker.com/94050/features/unfs-undefeated-football-team/ - October 2021

Ospreys scrapping plans to add football program - https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/college/north-florida-ospreys/2013/04/05/ospreys-scrapping-plans-add-football-program/15832923007/ - April 2013

SFA 93
July 17th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Tuesday, July 19 live on ESPN+

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FX4P8TXVUAEuNcs?format=jpg&name=medium

The Cats
July 17th, 2022, 01:16 PM
LOL. Bold? Nothing bold about that one.

[QUOTE]That would make 8 ASUN schools with football.

The 8 ASUN football schools is beyond bold, they can't get 6....

Daytripper
July 17th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Tuesday, July 19 live on ESPN+

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FX4P8TXVUAEuNcs?format=jpg&name=medium

For the near future, I see SFA and Tarleton being conference rivals based on geography. Not sure what will happen when Tarleton inevitably goes FBS. Will SFA nut up and make the move or will they stick with the WAC and hope that the entire conference will move up?

SFA 93
July 17th, 2022, 01:26 PM
Well, remember SFA is a basketball school, and we made the most revenue to date that first basketball season in the WAC.

Ivey likes where we are right now, and SFA ain't ready for FBS football, need some more time and success in the FCS ranks first.

UNAPride
July 17th, 2022, 03:20 PM
The 8 ASUN football schools is beyond bold, they can't get 6....

The ASUN actually has 8 schools with football now (7 FCS and 1 FBS) and will until July 1, 2023. Lots will happen over the next calendar year in almost every conference. And, as long as the WAC is needing an alliance, there's no rush.

Daytripper
July 17th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Well, remember SFA is a basketball school, and we made the most revenue to date that first basketball season in the WAC.

Ivey likes where we are right now, and SFA ain't ready for FBS football, need some more time and success in the FCS ranks first.

Fair enough.

Sir William
July 17th, 2022, 04:20 PM
The ASUN actually has 8 schools with football now (7 FCS and 1 FBS) and will until July 1, 2023. Lots will happen over the next calendar year in almost every conference. And, as long as the WAC is needing an alliance, there's no rush.

Let’s be a little more accurate. The ASUN actually has 6 teams playing ASUN football, and one of those moving up to FBS. This does not include Liberty or Stetson, neither of which play ASUN football. Unless they add more, the ASUN will be down to 5 schools playing ASUN football at the end of the 2022 season.

Previously, you stated that the ASUN was “vetting” 6 FCS schools for possible expansion. As previously asked, can you name those programs, or is this just wishful speculation based on some unknown booster in Muscle Shoals?

The Cats
July 17th, 2022, 04:23 PM

per the NCAA:
ASUNOnce Jacksonville State officially goes to the FBS, the ASUN will be left with five teams in 2023 — Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Austin Peay, Kennesaw State and North Alabama remain.

FUBeAR
July 17th, 2022, 04:48 PM
Let’s be a little more accurate. The ASUN actually has 6 teams playing ASUN football, and one of those moving up to FBS. This does not include Liberty or Stetson, neither of which play ASUN football. Unless they add more, the ASUN will be down to 5 schools playing ASUN football at the end of the 2022 season.

Previously, you stated that the ASUN was “vetting” 6 FCS schools for possible expansion. As previously asked, can you name those programs, or is this just wishful speculation based on some unknown booster in Muscle Shoals?
…but, but…North Flawida…

UNAPride
July 17th, 2022, 05:04 PM
per the NCAA:
ASUN

Once Jacksonville State officially goes to the FBS, the ASUN will be left with five teams in 2023 — Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Austin Peay, Kennesaw State and North Alabama remain.

Correct. ASUN member Stetson plays football in the PFL.

UNAPride
July 17th, 2022, 05:11 PM

It was posted on the UNA forums. https://unapride.proboards.com/post/15543/thread

Sir William
July 17th, 2022, 05:44 PM
It was posted on the UNA forums. https://unapride.proboards.com/post/15543/thread

Ok, saw the list. Thanks.

A lot could be said about the likelihood of any of those programs moving to ASUN, but that’s too much texting for a Sunday afternoon.

Best of luck (and I don’t say that sarcastically).

Catatonic
July 17th, 2022, 06:36 PM
For the near future, I see SFA and Tarleton being conference rivals based on geography. Not sure what will happen when Tarleton inevitably goes FBS. Will SFA nut up and make the move or will they stick with the WAC and hope that the entire conference will move up?
Maybe but ACU is closer and was a Tarleton rival dating back to their Lone Star Conference days. Neither of us will be rivals long term. Tarleton is gone as soon as they can move to FBS

The Cats
July 17th, 2022, 06:39 PM

Why would any of those teams move to such an unstable league as the ASUN?

Almost all of the current football SoCon teams are just biding their time till ready to move like JSU is doing. KSU and UNA would leave at the drop of a hat for the CUSA if offered. Why would any team seeking stability, go willingly to the ASUN?

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 09:17 AM

I'm confident in SFA and the talent they bring to the field for 2022, but they are still learning how to win as a program, and going 3-9, 6-4, 8-4 in Coach Carthel's three seasons they are doing just that.

As always it will be tough winning on the road, and during the off-season Carthel had to replace some coaches who left for other coaching jobs in the FBS, mainly DC Scott Powers, OL coach Nathan Young, DB coach Marcus Walker all left for Louisiana Tech, while DT coach Jamarcus McFarland for TCU, so lots of new faces with staff personnel.

With departing coaches you will have departing players who follow or just go elsewhere.

SFA was returning basically all the starters for 2022, but now we lost starting CB's Myles Brooks and Willie Roberts to Louisiana Tech. Also on defense we took a big hit on the interior line with the losses DTs Rayshad Nichols to the NFL, Dennis Osagiede to Liberty and Caleb Fox to TCU. Lost starting LB Bert Morris as well, to graduation.

SFA will still be OK at CB with All-WAC player Jeremiah Walker and Bruce Harmon, who has started some games, but after that, lots of youth at that position with not a lot of reps. The Jacks did bring in a couple of CB's transfers in Nebraska's Malik Williams and Houston's Dylan Dixon, but they are only red shirt freshmen with limit playing time.

Don't get me wrong the defense should still be solid with BJ Thompson and Amad Murray on the edges, Brevin Randle at LB, Myles Heard and Tkai Lloyd at safeties, just concerned a little about the defensive front up the middle, and the depth at corner.

I'm not worried at all about the offensive side of the ball, with the return of QB Trae Self, RB Miles Reed, and WR Xavier Gipson.

And SFA still has yet to break the curse of SHSU :)

We've been close the last two seasons, so maybe 2022 we finally break through.

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 10:02 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FX6VBupUYAEyfzQ?format=jpg&name=medium

WR Xavier Gipson of SFA is the WAC Football Preseason Offensive Player of the Year!
- 3X All-Conference
- 3X All-American
- 2021 WAC OPOY
- 2021 Walter Payton Finalist
G:32;REC:178;YDS:3,148;TD:30

https://twitter.com/WACsports/status/1549050107676573705?s=20&t=LR2AgZpiLBPd6IlX7W1RTg

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 10:37 AM
DL Markel Perry of SHSU is the WAC Football Preseason Defensive Player of the Year!

https://twitter.com/WACsports/status/1549053883808452608?s=20&t=9Xp9yvO5BPd2K16aYHIYYA (https://twitter.com/WACsports/status/1549053883808452608?s=20&t=9Xp9yvO5BPd2K16aYHIYYA)

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 10:50 AM
K Chris Campos of SFA is the WAC Football Preseason Special Teams Player of the Year!

https://twitter.com/WACsports/status/1549057657843187718?s=20&t=f1niP-wswIN1aY0ZFOj22g

Catatonic
July 18th, 2022, 11:57 AM
It’s nice to see ACU picked second, even if it’s picking blind. The Cats have a totally new staff and an abnormally large amount of roster turnover. Too many unknowns to be very confident

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Southern Utah has their field ready for the WAC.

Good looking fiend and a nice view.

https://twitter.com/delanefitz/status/1532426504218501120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1532426504218501120%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsfasawmill.com%2Fforums%2F7% 2Ftopics%2F1953%2F23

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 12:44 PM
So, I guess the first meeting in Oct. between SFA and ACU will be a non-conference game, and the second meeting will be the one that is the actual conference game.

Here is to SFA and ACU sitting at the top of the standing come Nov. for a nationally televised conference championship game in Abilene.

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 12:47 PM
As for the ASUN, wow look out

KENNESAW STATE 11-2 (FCS PLAYOFFS)
NORTH ALABAMA 3-8 (DID WIN 3 OF THEIR LAST 5, LOST TO KENNESAW BY 4
AUSTIN PEAY 6-5 (RIDING A 3-GAME WIN STREAK; 4 OF THEIR LAST 5, 1 POINT LOSS TO #12 UTM)
EASTERN KENTUCKY 7-4
CENTRAL ARKANSAS 5-6 (Always a good football program, will rebound)

caribbeanhen
July 18th, 2022, 12:50 PM

AUSTIN PEAY 6-5 (RIDING A 3-GAME WIN STREAK; 4 OF THEIR LAST 5, 1 POINT LOSS TO #12 UTM)
EASTERN KENTUCKY 7-4

Central Arky had too much talent to be 5-6

At least it sure seemed that way

UNAPride
July 18th, 2022, 12:54 PM
Why would any of those teams move to such an unstable league as the ASUN?

Almost all of the current football SoCon teams are just biding their time till ready to move like JSU is doing. KSU and UNA would leave at the drop of a hat for the CUSA if offered. Why would any team seeking stability, go willingly to the ASUN?

Personally, I'd like for it to be the two D2 callups from the Gulf South Conference - West Florida and Valdosta State. I live in Pensacola and would love for ASUN sports to be in town. Other than that, both schools are larger than most FCS schools (12K+ enrollment) and have great rivalries with UNA. Both the Argos and Blazers have won a D2 football national championship within the past five seasons. They would be great additions for the ASUN.

The others don't interest me as a fan (except for SELA).

UNAPride
July 18th, 2022, 01:01 PM

EASTERN KENTUCKY 7-4

Compared to the WAC...

SFA 8-4
ACU 5-6
Tarleton 6-5
Dixie State 1-10
Southern Utah 1-10

Also of note: Unlike in the WAC, Jax State is eligible for the ASUN title this season.

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Yes, the ASUN is the strongest of the two football conferences IMO

UNAPride
July 18th, 2022, 01:12 PM
Yes, the ASUN is the strongest of the two football conferences IMO

It will certainly make for some interesting matchups this season.

2022 WACSUN Crossover Games

*Jacksonville State vs. SFA (8/27)
*Tarleton State @ UNA (9/24)
Southern Utah @ EKU (10/1)
*Sam Houston State @ EKU (10/15)
Central Arkansas @ SFA (11/12)

*Not official ASUN/WAC opponent; team in transition

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 01:51 PM
SFA has been holdings its own against the ASUN.

W @ EKU 24-6
L @ #24 JACKSONVILLE ST. 24-28
W #19 EKU 31-17
W @ UCA 27-14

Would like to see a SFA vs. Kennesaw State matchup.

SFA 93
July 18th, 2022, 02:33 PM
2022 Preseason Football Coaches Poll

Rank
Team (1st Place Points)

Stephen F. Austin (4)

Abilene Christian

Tarleton (1)

Southern Utah

Utah Tech

Sam Houston is transitioning to FBS and is not eligible for conference title

2022 Preseason Offensive Player of the Year: *Xavier Gipson (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4458), Sr., WR Stephen F. Austin
2022 Preseason Defensive Player of the Year: Markel Perry, Sr., DL, Sam Houston
2022 Preseason Special Teams Player of the Year: Chris Campos (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4440), So., K, Stephen F. Austin

2022 Preseason All-WAC Offense
QB – Trae Self (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4517), Gr., Stephen F. Austin
RB – Dezmon Jackson, Gr., Sam Houston
RB – *Miles Reed (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4507), Gr., Stephen F. Austin
WR – *Ife Adeyi, Jr., Sam Houston
WR – Kobe Clark, Sr., Abilene Christian
WR – Cody Chrest, Gr., Sam Houston
WR – *Xavier Gipson (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4458), Sr, Stephen F. Austin
TE – Chad Aune (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4429), Sr., Stephen F. Austin
OL – Kendall Dearth, Sr., Tarleton
OL – *Ethan Hagler, Sam Houston
OL – Blake Haynes, Jr., Tarleton
OL – Keegan Holm (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4468), Sr., Stephen F. Austin
OL – *Clint Lapic (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2102), Sr., Stephen F. Austin
OL – *Reese Moore, So., Abilene Christian

2022 Preseason All-WAC Defense
DL – Francis Bemiy, Gr., Southern Utah
DL – Javier Duran, Sr., Tarleton
DL – Jevon Leon, Jr., Sam Houston
DL – *Markel Perry, Sr. Sam Houston
DL – *B.J. Thompson, Sr., Stephen F. Austin
LB – D.J. Harris, Jr., Tarleton
LB – Will Leota, So., Utah Tech
LB - *Brevin Randle (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4506), Sr., Stephen F. Austin
LB - *Trevor Williams, Sr., Sam Houston
DB – Kameryn Alexander, Jr., Sam Houston
DB – Donovan Banks, Sr., Tarleton
DB – Tyrell Grayson, So., Utah Tech
DB – Myles Heard (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4464), Sr., Stephen F. Austin
DB – *Jeremiah Walker (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4534), Jr., Stephen F. Austin

2022 Preseason All-WAC Special Teams
K - Chris Campos (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4440), So., Stephen F. Austin
P – Max Quick (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2106), Sr., Stephen F. Austin
LS – Chase Ruiz (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2107), Sr., Stephen F. Austin
RET – Xavier Gipson (https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4458), Sr., Stephen F. Austin

Players are listed in alphabetical order with positions that have more than one honoree,
*Unanimous selection

UNAPride
July 19th, 2022, 12:59 AM
SFA looking great in those preseason awards especially by sweeping special teams and with several unanimous selections. Congrats!

lionsrking2
July 19th, 2022, 01:25 AM
Personally, I'd like for it to be the two D2 callups from the Gulf South Conference - West Florida and Valdosta State. I live in Pensacola and would love for ASUN sports to be in town. Other than that, both schools are larger than most FCS schools (12K+ enrollment) and have great rivalries with UNA. Both the Argos and Blazers have won a D2 football national championship within the past five seasons. They would be great additions for the ASUN.

Only chance the ASUN gets Southeastern Louisiana is if Nicholls and McNeese—and probably Northwestern State (and UNO for hoops)—are included. A West Florida move up would make it even more palatable from a geography standpoint. That way you could have an east/west construct to help with scheduling. I've been proposing something like this for years to get us out of the Texas stranglehold, and back to some our old conference roots. But our president doesn't give a @$*T about athletics and isn't going to allow anything that involves growth or forward thinking.

SFA 93
July 19th, 2022, 07:45 AM
Yes sir, it is weird being a SFA fan and after having your football program in the dumps for so long, to now be highly regarded, and favored to win.

Got to win it on the field, ready to go!

SFA 93
July 19th, 2022, 07:47 AM
https://fbschedules.com/stephen-f-austin-texas-am-commerce-schedule-2023-24-football-series/

Home and home scheduled with Texas A&M - Commerce (2023-24) staring in Nacogdoches for 2023.

With the Lions now in the FCS, this should become a new rivalry.

UNAPride
July 21st, 2022, 03:59 PM
UNA swept both fan-voted awards for tomorrow's Media Day release.

Parker Driggers - ASUN Preseason Offensive Player of the Year (Fan Vote)
Kyree Fields - ASUN Preseason Defensive Player of the Year (Fan Vote)

UNAPride
July 22nd, 2022, 05:18 PM
I wrote a bit of an update on ASUN Football including today's media day.

https://asunfootball.com/2022/07/22/asun-football-is-here-media-day-hypes-inaugural-season/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYR2NTDWIAEvpUh?format=jpg&name=medium

JSUSoutherner
July 23rd, 2022, 11:09 AM
I wrote a bit of an update on ASUN Football including today's media day.

https://asunfootball.com/2022/07/22/asun-football-is-here-media-day-hypes-inaugural-season/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYR2NTDWIAEvpUh?format=jpg&name=medium
EKU at 2?

That's... Bold.

Catatonic
July 23rd, 2022, 12:34 PM
Random fact of the day- ACU lost 41 players to the Portal since last season and has added 50 new players, including walk ons. I hate it that FCS teams don’t routinely put the names of players on jerseys. I’m not going to have a clue about who did what.

FUBeAR
July 23rd, 2022, 01:03 PM
Random fact of the day- ACU lost 41 players to the Portal since last season and has added 50 new players, including walk ons. I hate it that FCS teams don’t routinely put the names of players on jerseys. I’m not going to have a clue about who did what.
In case you’re interested (and haven’t seen it), FUBeAR put together some Returning Players / New Players / Transfers stats for 8 of the 9 SoCon Teams (ETSU’s online roster format was too much trouble to slice/dice). Post #374 in the SoCon Off-season Thread.

FUBeAR’s biggest takeaway…If College Football doesn’t ‘watch itself,’ it’s going to find out if fans are interested in cheering for nothing more than their favorite colors of laundry on Saturdays vs. supporting Players we have watched grow, develop, and, in some ways, come to know over several years on our favorite campuses. For example, one SoCon Team had almost 60 Players depart and is showing 65 New Players on their Roster.

We’ll see…

Catatonic
July 24th, 2022, 06:10 AM
Yes sir, it is weird being a SFA fan and after having your football program in the dumps for so long, to now be highly regarded, and favored to win.

Got to win it on the field, ready to go!
Carthel has been slowly building a powerhouse. Sure looks like this is SFA’s year. It will be interesting to see if you can beat ACU twice.

Catatonic
July 24th, 2022, 06:48 AM
In case you’re interested (and haven’t seen it), FUBeAR put together some Returning Players / New Players / Transfers stats for 8 of the 9 SoCon Teams (ETSU’s online roster format was too much trouble to slice/dice). Post #374 in the SoCon Off-season Thread.

FUBeAR’s biggest takeaway…If College Football doesn’t ‘watch itself,’ it’s going to find out if fans are interested in cheering for nothing more than their favorite colors of laundry on Saturdays vs. supporting Players we have watched grow, develop, and, in some ways, come to know over several years on our favorite campuses. For example, one SoCon Team had almost 60 Players depart and is showing 65 New Players on their Roster.

We’ll see…

We’ll see is exactly right. My fear is teams may wind up with nothing more than roving bands of mercenaries with little connection to their schools beyond football. Or, FCS teams could wind up with a bunch of guys anxious to prove themselves on the field and off.

SFA 93
July 27th, 2022, 04:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYs6ML-XkAE8jAF?format=jpg&name=medium

UNAPride
July 28th, 2022, 03:56 PM
This opening game will be big for the alliance. Even though Jax State isn't technically in the alliance this season, I think any (or all) of these WAC/ASUN crossover games could likely sway which conference gets the AQ.

UNAPride
July 28th, 2022, 04:00 PM
ASUN Football Preseason All-Conference Team

Offensive Player of the Year: Xavier Shepherd, Kennesaw State
Defensive Player of the Year: Matthew Jackson, Eastern Kentucky

OFFENSE
QB | Xavier Shepherd, Kennesaw State, Jr., Nashville, Tenn.
RB | Darius Hale, Central Arkansas, So., Pearland, Texas
RB | Parker Driggers, North Alabama, So., Brantley, Ala.
TE | Corson Swan, North Alabama, Gr., Spanish Fort, Ala.
WR | Drae McCray, Austin Peay, So., Tallahassee, Fla.
WR | Takairee Kenebrew, North Alabama, Jr., Childersburg, Ala.
WR | Cortez Hall, North Alabama, Gr., Hoover, Ala.
OL | Payton Collins, Eastern Kentucky, So., Columbus, Ohio
OL | Zion Katina, Kennesaw State, Sr., Franklin, Tenn.
OL | Jaylin Hendrix, Central Arkansas, Sr., Everman, Texas
OL | Terrell Paxton, Kennesaw State, Sr., Stone Mountain, Ga.
C | Howard Watkins Jr., Eastern Kentucky, Sr., Cincinnati, Ohio
C | Matt Olson, Kennesaw State, Gr., Cumming, Ga.

DEFENSE
DL | *Logan Jessup, Central Arkansas, Jr., Wynne, Ark.
DL | Kelton Dawson, Eastern Kentucky, Sr., Stockbridge, Ga.
DL | Chuck Manning, Austin Peay, Gr., Durham, N.C.
DL | Jaylen Swain, Jacksonville State, So., Oxford, Ala.
DL | Micah Bland, North Alabama, Jr., Louisville, Ky.
LB | *Matthew Jackson, Eastern Kentucky, Sr., Nashville, Tenn.
LB | Stevonte Tullis, Jacksonville State, Sr., Dothan, Ala.
LB | Markail Benton, Jacksonville State, Sr., Phenix City, Ala.
LB | Eli Hairston, Eastern Kentucky, Jr., Columbus, Ohio
DB | Tamuarion Wilson, Central Arkansas, So., Bryant, Ark.
DB | Joseph Sayles, Eastern Kentucky, Sr., Alpharetta, Ga.
DB | Kyree Fields, North Alabama, Sr., Columbus, Miss.
DB | Shamari Simmons, Austin Peay, Jr., Ashland, Ala.

SPECIAL TEAMS
K | Maddux Trujillo, Austin Peay, So., Flowery Branch, Ga.
P | Jack Dawson, Jacksonville State, So., Sylvania Waters, Australia
RS | Kobe Warden, North Alabama, So., Killen, Ala.
- A tie in voting resulted in a 29-man Preseason All-Conference Team
* - Unanimous Selection to Preseason All-Conference Team

2022 Preseason Football Coaches Poll

Place
Team (1st-Place Votes)

Kennesaw State (4)

T2.
Central Arkansas (1)

T2.
Eastern Kentucky

Jacksonville State

Austin Peay (1)

North Alabama

Additionally, the ASUN took to social media to poll the fans for the conference preseason superlative awards. A total of 2,690 votes were cast for student-athletes across the league. North Alabama running back Parker Driggers (389 votes) was named the Fan-Voted Offensive Player of the Year while UNA defensive back Kyree Fields (570 votes) garnered the Fan-Voted Defensive Player of the Year nod.

https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/20220719hjy33c

HootyHoo
July 28th, 2022, 06:25 PM

It makes sense but KSU will never allow Valdosta State into the ASUN. South GA is a crucial pimple for the Owls recruiting. Valdosta St going D1 would put that in jeopardy.

Hooty believes the ASUN and the WAC should do away with the pretense of an alliance and just merge the two conferences into one. A 10 team conference with divisions to mitigate travel makes too much sense.

HootyHoo
July 28th, 2022, 06:27 PM
It makes sense but KSU will never allow Valdosta State into the ASUN. South GA is a crucial pimple for the Owls recruiting. Valdosta St going D1 would put that in jeopardy .

Pipeline* lol the danger of the autocorrect. Although Valdosta is a pimple of a city so it works.

Puddin Tane
July 28th, 2022, 10:38 PM
It makes sense but KSU will never allow Valdosta State into the ASUN. South GA is a crucial pimple for the Owls recruiting. Valdosta St going D1 would put that in jeopardy.

Hooty believes the ASUN and the WAC should do away with the pretense of an alliance and just merge the two conferences into one. A 10 team conference with divisions to mitigate travel makes too much sense.

be careful what you wish for….seattle to the rio grande to cali to utah….

katss07
July 29th, 2022, 12:44 AM
be careful what you wish for….seattle to the rio grande to cali to utah….
I disliked the WAC move as much as anyone, and still don’t think SHSU has made a smart conference decision yet, but a WAC/ASUN FB only wouldn’t look too much worse than any other college football conference these days geographically.

Eastern Div: Austin Peay/Eastern Kentucky/Kennesaw State/North Alabama/Central Arkansas
Western Div: SFA/Tarleton/ACU/Utah Tech/Southern Utah

Play all four divisional schools and three cross division schools. If stated goal of both leagues is to get the schools invites into an FBS league, or move up as a whole, then 4 games of flexibility allows for plenty of FBS games and OOC FCS games. It’d be competitive in the FCS too. Better than the SLC.

Catatonic
July 29th, 2022, 05:18 AM

If you are talking about a football conference, much like the MVFC, a merger makes a lot of sense.

Libertine
July 29th, 2022, 07:28 AM

Unless you're talking about creating a parallel football-specific conference a' la the Pioneer, merging the ASUN and WAC would be actually be a 23-team conference.

FUBeAR
July 29th, 2022, 10:18 AM
If this is already asked/answered here, please point FUBeAR to that post number…

How is the WHACK-A-SUN determining which one of the 8 Eligible (is that the correct total number?) Teams gets the one AQ bid? Last FUBeAR saw is that it was being “worked out” sometime in May.

Seems enough time woulda passed to complete that ‘work out’…unless they just have decided to wait and just subjectively (with lots of words justifying the subjective selection) pick the AQ ‘earner’ at the end of the regular season…with which, they COULD use that flexibility to wrangle an extra At-Large pick for their “Alliance” by selecting the ‘next best’ / ‘1st Team (believed to be) out’ as their AQ Team.

The feckless NCAA shouldn’t, but definitely would, allow this to happen.

Catatonic
July 29th, 2022, 11:19 AM
If this is already asked/answered here, please point FUBeAR to that post number…

How is the WHACK-A-SUN determining which one of the 8 Eligible (is that the correct total number?) Teams gets the one AQ bid? Last FUBeAR saw is that it was being “worked out” sometime in May.

Seems enough time woulda passed to complete that ‘work out’…unless they just have decided to wait and just subjectively (with lots of words justifying the subjective selection) pick the AQ ‘earner’ at the end of the regular season…with which, they COULD use that flexibility to wrangle an extra At-Large pick for their “Alliance” by selecting the ‘next best’ / ‘1st Team (believed to be) out’ as their AQ Team.

The feckless NCAA shouldn’t, but definitely would, allow this to happen.

I don’t believe the formula for determining the autobid has been released. The only right answer is to designate the team with the highest AGS rank as Champ. But seriously, it’s highly likely that two strong teams will emerge from this alliance and will wind up in the playoffs. Virtually every preseason ranking I’ve seen has both KSU and SFA in the top 15 or so.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

[

FUBeAR
July 29th, 2022, 12:49 PM
I don’t believe the formula for determining the autobid has been released. The only right answer is to designate the team with the highest AGS rank as Champ. But seriously, it’s highly likely that two strong teams will emerge from this alliance and will wind up in the playoffs. Virtually every preseason ranking I’ve seen has both KSU and SFA in the top 15 or so.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

[
Fine - then 2 strong Teams should be in the Playoffs vs. 2 strong Teams + a 3rd that was determined to be the WackySun AQ by some Fakakta formula created ex post facto specifically to get that 3rd Team in the Playoffs.

”Yes, Committee, Whatsamatta U, based on Total Tackles for Loss against OOC opponents multiplied by home attendance plus height in feet of the tallest building on each campus, is our Automatic Qualifier. Although, their record overall is 6-5, please consider granting them a seed as strongly as you will our other 2 At-Large selections with much better records, but, alas, shorter buildings”

The methodology to determine the WACSUN AQ needs to be PUBLISHED before the 1st Week 0 game kicks off. If it is not, the WACASUN should not receive an AQ bid.

FUBeAR was born one day, but it wasn’t yesterday. A Conference/Alliance would definitely run this kinda scam if no controlling entity prevents them from doing so. Pretty hard to see the abdicating NCAA as a ‘controlling entity’ these days though. This will be interesting to watch…

UNAPride
July 29th, 2022, 02:24 PM

If KSU wants the ASUN to have an AQ in football, I doubt they block anyone.

PS...this is the slowest loading message board of any I frequent. Anyone else notice that?

Catatonic
July 29th, 2022, 02:53 PM
Fine - then 2 strong Teams should be in the Playoffs vs. 2 strong Teams + a 3rd that was determined to be the WackySun AQ by some Fakakta formula created ex post facto specifically to get that 3rd Team in the Playoffs.

”Yes, Committee, Whatsamatta U, based on Total Tackles for Loss against OOC opponents multiplied by home attendance plus height in feet of the tallest building on each campus, is our Automatic Qualifier. Although, their record overall is 6-5, please consider granting them a seed as strongly as you will our other 2 At-Large selections with much better records, but, alas, shorter buildings”

The methodology to determine the WACSUN AQ needs to be PUBLISHED before the 1st Week 0 game kicks off. If it is not, the WACASUN should not receive an AQ bid.

FUBeAR was born one day, but it wasn’t yesterday. A Conference/Alliance would definitely run this kinda scam if no controlling entity prevents them from doing so. Pretty hard to see the abdicating NCAA as a ‘controlling entity’ these days though. This will be interesting to watch…

‘catatonic agrees. State the criteria for designated autobid before the season starts.

SFA 93
August 4th, 2022, 10:32 AM
The field is ready for 2022

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/1434628355706572801/1654879595/1500x500

McCowboys
August 4th, 2022, 02:19 PM
The field is ready for 2022

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/1434628355706572801/1654879595/1500x500

One good thing about your, ACU, and UCA leaving is that the SLC sure is a lot less purple now.

SFA 93
August 4th, 2022, 02:36 PM
You know with SFA being in the middle of the pineywoods and being Lumberjacks (it was almost the Pine Cones) and all, I've always thought forest green, black, and white would have made for some good school colors, and it would have been more unique.

I mean our uniforms are kind of evolving into that, minus the forest green.

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/sidearm.sites/sfajacks.com/images/2022/3/17/2.png

Mocs123
August 4th, 2022, 02:47 PM

That does OK for football assuming the schools could agree on a way to determine who gets the autobid, but it would suck for all the other sports that would have long and expensive travel. The WAC and A-SUN don't exactly have a friendly geographical footprint if combined.

Puddin Tane
August 4th, 2022, 04:14 PM
One good thing about your, ACU, and UCA leaving is that the SLC sure is a lot less purple now.

xdrunkyx

McCowboys
August 4th, 2022, 06:08 PM
xdrunkyx

But now we have too much red and too many Cardinals. Sigh.
LOL!

EKU05
August 4th, 2022, 08:16 PM
That does OK for football assuming the schools could agree on a way to determine who gets the autobid, but it would suck for all the other sports that would have long and expensive travel. The WAC and A-SUN don't exactly have a friendly geographical footprint if combined.

I think he might be referring to a football-only merger. Both conferences have too many non-football members to just merge straight-up.

bonarae
August 4th, 2022, 09:28 PM
UNA is now full Division I.

http://www.roarlions.com/news/2022/8/3/football-una-given-full-division-i-status.aspx

HootyHoo
August 5th, 2022, 10:21 AM
UNA is now full Division I.

http://www.roarlions.com/news/2022/8/3/football-una-given-full-division-i-status.aspx

Congrats to North Alabama! Now this Owl vs Lion rivalry can really kick off.

UNAPride
August 8th, 2022, 02:06 PM
Less than three weeks until the ASUN vs. WAC to open the season!!

https://montgomerykickoffgames.com/fcskickoff/

https://montgomerykickoffgames.com/guardiankickoffclassic/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2022/06/nLPcr0yg.png

FUBeAR
August 8th, 2022, 03:00 PM

https://montgomerykickoffgames.com/guardiankickoffclassic/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2022/06/nLPcr0yg.png
And the WAC/ASUN AutoBid Team to the FCS Playoffs will be determined how, exactly?

The Cats
August 8th, 2022, 03:56 PM
And the WAC/ASUN AutoBid Team to the FCS Playoffs will be determined how, exactly?

Probably by a toss of the coin... If they have enough schools staying till the end of the season!!!

HootyHoo
August 8th, 2022, 05:05 PM

We still do not know.

SFA 93
August 8th, 2022, 08:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZo_RkzWQAEvM_m?format=jpg&name=large

Daytripper
August 8th, 2022, 09:07 PM

I am looking forward to this game. It will be high scoring and competitive. SFA by a touchdown.

SFA 93
August 9th, 2022, 09:46 AM
With Rich Rodriguez at head coach, the game in Alabama, North Carolina State R-Fr. transfer QB Aaron McLaughlin 6-5; 230 and with all the starters they return, it will be a tough one for the Jacks.

JACKSONVILLE STATE (18)

OFFENSE (7/11)
QB: 0/1
RB: 0/1
OL: 3/5
WR: 3/3
TE: 1/1
DEFENSE (9/11)
DL: 1/3
LB: 3/3
DB: 5/5
SPECIAL TEAMS (2/2)
P: 1/1
K: 1/1

Catatonic
August 11th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Hero Sports breaks down the ASUN-WAC, with SFA coming up with the autobid and KSU picking up an at large invite. They see this as a potential three bid conference with the third team ‘on the bubble.’ They lean toward EKU for this pick.
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-asun-wac-football-preview-bzbz/

UNAPride
August 11th, 2022, 10:03 PM
Hero Sports breaks down the ASUN-WAC, with SFA coming up with the autobid and KSU picking up an at large invite. They see this as a potential three bid conference with the third team ‘on the bubble.’ They lean toward EKU for this pick.
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-asun-wac-football-preview-bzbz/

Thanks for sharing, Cat!

HERO Sports’ Power Ranking

Because the renewed partnership wasn’t announced until May, these teams are not all playing each other. We don’t currently know how the auto-bid will be decided if two teams share the same record. So instead of doing our usual Predicted Order of Finish here, we will rank the playoff-eligible teams.

1. Stephen F. Austin
2. Kennesaw State
3. Eastern Kentucky
4. Central Arkansas
5. Austin Peay
6. Abilene Christian
7. North Alabama
8. Southern Utah

FUBeAR
August 12th, 2022, 05:50 PM
We still do not know.
https://twitter.com/craighaley/status/1558056355679846401
Not the final answer, Regis…

Maybe the WAC-A-SUN needs to phone a friend…

UNAPride
August 15th, 2022, 03:25 PM
The AFCA Preseason Top 25 poll has been released. Four ASUN teams and two WAC teams were mentioned including Utah Tech (Dixie State). Interesting...

American Football Coaches Association FCS Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll – August 15, 2022
Rank School (1st votes) | Record | Points

1. North Dakota St. (24) | 14-1 | 624
2. Montana | 10-3 | 567
3. South Dakota St. (1) | 11-4 | 566
4. Montana St. | 12-3 | 560
5. Villanova | 10-3 | 493
6. Kennesaw St. | 11-2 | 453
7. Sacramento St. | 9-3 | 452
8. Missouri St. | 8-4 | 405
9. Southern Illinois | 8-5 | 379
10. Stephen F. Austin | 8-4 | 362
11. East Tennessee St. | 11-2 | 352
12. Eastern Washington | 10-3 | 337
13. Chattanooga | 6-5 | 294
14. UIW | 10-3 | 277
15. UT Martin | 10-3 | 257
16. Southeastern Louisiana | 9-4 | 254
17. Jackson St. | 11-2 | 245
18. Holy Cross | 10-3 | 184
19. Delaware | 5-6 | 172
20. Weber St. | 6-5 | 141
21. Northern Iowa | 6-6 | 119
22. UC Davis | 8-4 | 101
23. Mercer | 7-3 | 78
T24. Rhode Island | 7-4 | 66
T24. Richmond | 6-5 | 66

Others Receiving Votes: South Dakota, 49; Florida A&M, 44; Harvard, 38; South Carolina St., 38; Princeton, 29; Central Arkansas, 23; Eastern Kentucky, 18; Dartmouth, 17; Nicholls, 8; Furman, 6; North Carolina A&T, 6; William & Mary, 6; Murray St., 5; Davidson, 3; Fordham, 3; Southeast Missouri St., 3; North Dakota, 2; Utah Tech, 2; Austin Peay, 1; Elon, 1.

caribbeanhen
August 15th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Utah Tech 2 votes... tough schedule maybe

SFA 93
August 15th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Utah Tech returns more than anybody

UTAH TECH (20)

OFFENSE (9/11)
QB: 1/1
OL: 4/5
WR: 4/4
DEFENSE (8/11)
DL:2/3
LB:1/3
DB:5/5
SPECIAL TEAMS (3/3)
P:1/1
K:2/2

caribbeanhen
August 15th, 2022, 04:53 PM
Utah Tech returns more than anybody

UTAH TECH (20)

OFFENSE (9/11)
QB: 1/1
OL: 4/5
WR: 4/4
DEFENSE (8/11)
DL:2/3
LB:1/3
DB:5/5
SPECIAL TEAMS (3/3)
P:1/1
K:2/2

OK but that’s not always a good thing

BEAR
August 15th, 2022, 09:47 PM
I'm ready to see Missouri State for game one! Not sure how we will do but it will mean football is back! xthumbsupx

Catatonic
August 16th, 2022, 12:44 PM
Bear’s post is a reminder that the season is just around the corner.

Predictions for week 0/1 games?

SFA v Jax State
Austin Peay @ Western KY

Lamar @ ACU
St Thomas @ Southern Utah
Sam @ TAMU
SFA @ Alcorn
Utah Tech @ Sacramento State

UNA @ Indiana State
MO State @ UCA
EKU @ Eastern Michigan
Davidson @ Jax State
Presbyterian @ Austin Peay

Catatonic
August 16th, 2022, 12:48 PM

Bear’s post is a reminder that the season is just around the corner.

Predictions for week 0/1 games?

SFA v Jax State
Austin Peay @ Western KY

Lamar @ ACU
Sam @ TAMU
SFA @ Alcorn

UNA @ Indiana State
MO State @ UCA
EKU @ Eastern Michigan
Davidson @ Jax State

Daytripper
August 16th, 2022, 01:25 PM
SFA v Jax State
Austin Peay @ Western KY

Lamar @ ACU
Sam @ TAMU -- Let me dream, will ya??!!
SFA @ Alcorn

UNA @ Indiana State
MO State @ UCA
EKU @ Eastern Michigan
Davidson @ Jax State

katss07
August 16th, 2022, 02:13 PM
SFA v Jax State
APSU @ WKU

Lamar @ ACU
Sam @ Texas A&M
SFA @ Alcorn
Utah Tech @ Sac State

UNA @ Indiana State
MO State @ UCA
EKU @ EMU
Davidson @ Jax State
Presby @ Austin Peay

The Cats
August 16th, 2022, 07:45 PM
SFA v Jax State
Austin Peay @ Western KY

Lamar @ ACU
Sam @ TAMU
SFA @ Alcorn

UNA @ Indiana State
MO State @ UCA
EKU @ Eastern Michigan
Davidson @ Jax State

Puddin Tane
August 16th, 2022, 08:26 PM
SFA v Jax State
Austin Peay @ Western KY

Lamar @ ACU
Sam @ TAMU
SFA @ Alcorn

UNA @ Indiana State
MO State @ UCA
EKU @ Eastern Michigan
Davidson @ Jax State

UNAPride
August 16th, 2022, 11:13 PM
All in with the ASUN!

SFA v Jax State
Austin Peay @ Western KY

Lamar @ ACU
Sam @ TAMU
SFA @ Alcorn

UNA @ Indiana State
MO State @ UCA
EKU @ Eastern Michigan
Davidson @ Jax State

acbearkat
August 20th, 2022, 10:05 AM
I’d like to have Rev’s and SFA93’s thoughts on the Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel report that SFA is looking into joining a university system. For those who don’t know, SFA is one of the few public universities in the state not affiliated with a university system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2022, 10:14 AM
https://twitter.com/craighaley/status/1558056355679846401
Not the final answer, Regis…

Maybe the WAC-A-SUN needs to phone a friend…Another week (and a day) closer to kickoff of the 2022 FCS Regular season. Any announcement yet on the WHACK-A-SUN AQ plan…which, apparently, is harder to figger out than cold fusion?

2 WAC/ASUN Teams kickoff next Saturday. If the AQ scheme is not announced to the public before those kickoffs, the NCAA FCS Playoff Committee should not allow an AQ from this alliance. They SHOULD NOT, but they won’t do that. Too weak to enforce any rules these days.

SFA 93
August 20th, 2022, 05:31 PM
I’d like to have Rev’s and SFA93’s thoughts on the Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel report that SFA is looking into joining a university system. For those who don’t know, SFA is one of the few public universities in the state not affiliated with a university system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which ever system provides the most in benefits for SFA while going forward into the future is fine with me.

UT would have the most in money, but then it would be The University of Texas - Nacogdoches

It will probably be A&M or Tech.

I don't want Texas State.

katss07
August 20th, 2022, 10:03 PM
Another week (and a day) closer to kickoff of the 2022 FCS Regular season. Any announcement yet on the WHACK-A-SUN AQ plan…which, apparently, is harder to figger out than cold fusion?

2 WAC/ASUN Teams kickoff next Saturday. If the AQ scheme is not announced to the public before those kickoffs, the NCAA FCS Playoff Committee should not allow an AQ from this alliance. They SHOULD NOT, but they won’t do that. Too weak to enforce any rules these days.
Why?

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2022, 11:43 PM
Why?
See post #197 in this thread

Catatonic
August 21st, 2022, 06:13 AM
Which ever system provides the most in benefits for SFA while going forward into the future is fine with me.

UT would have the most in money, but then it would be The University of Texas - Nacogdoches

It will probably be A&M or Tech.

I don't want Texas State.

This move looks like SFA is hoping for a sugar daddy to help fund a move to FBS. Is this an accurate read?

SFA 93
August 21st, 2022, 10:52 AM
This move looks like SFA is hoping for a sugar daddy to help fund a move to FBS. Is this an accurate read?

I don't know, but it does seem plausible.

Personally, I like the FCS level when it comes to football (much better chance at winning a NC, with a greater field for the playoffs, than the FBS), and the football program is finally getting some traction in winning, so I'd like to see more success on this level, but I know this is a business, and decisions will be made to try and better a business.

Although probably in the future, the FBS will be the new FCS.

katss07
August 21st, 2022, 10:52 AM
See post #197 in this thread
Fair points, would not surprise me to see something like that happen should the NCAA allow it to go that far into the season. However, I think now is a bit early to say "no AQ" to the AQ7. We had conferences picking their AQs in the spring season to leverage extra at-larges. Give them a later cutoff date. But I agree, it can't be late Oct./November.

katss07
August 21st, 2022, 11:08 AM
Sounds like it to me, although I'd be curious to know how Ivey and SFA leadership feel about going FBS. SHSU had looked into the move in the past, and administration clearly wanted to be in the Sun Belt or CUSA. But I heard SFA is very happy with the WAC. We know they led the charge to get there. And SFA is about as "FBS-ready" as SHSU is (not good). Still, I'd think SFA will be driven to follow SHSU and look to move up, sooner rather than later. Keeping the BOTPW alive, moving it back on campus, and getting bball into a top mid-major league should be top priorities for them as realignment continues. If that's going to happen they'll need upgrades.

I'd bet on Tech. TSUS won't do **** for SFA. And A&M seems to be preoccupied with Tarleton, WTAMU, TAMU-SA, TAMU-CC.

SFA 93
August 21st, 2022, 12:23 PM
Tech is very interested in expanding further east in Texas, making SFA very attractive for them.

But SFA and A&M have already teamed up in educational courses from the two Universities, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was A&M, plus SFA has the School of Forestry and Agriculture which matches more with A&M's goals.

But we will see, bottom line is that SFA does need the money as an independent, and things need to change.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2022, 03:26 PM

No.

SFA has seen a decline in enrollment over the past few years, and the BOR hasn't done much to address that with the exception of firing Scott Gordon and us paying over 800k to buy him out. Would it benefit athletics? Perhaps. Would it benefit academic programs and help bring students to SFA? Absolutely.

The front-runner is Texas Tech. The TTU president is a Lumberjack as well.

BEAR
August 23rd, 2022, 12:21 PM
No.

SFA has seen a decline in enrollment over the past few years, and the BOR hasn't done much to address that with the exception of firing Scott Gordon and us paying over 800k to buy him out. Would it benefit athletics? Perhaps. Would it benefit academic programs and help bring students to SFA? Absolutely.

The front-runner is Texas Tech. The TTU president is a Lumberjack as well.

SFA needs to rehire Clamp Crank. He'll back door them into the FBS. :D

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2022, 09:21 AM
Well it looks like power rankings will determine the auto bid

The Cats
August 24th, 2022, 09:55 AM
Why not flip a coin?

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Well it looks like power rankings will determine the auto bid
Yep - a “power ranking” formula they have devised COULD be used as a tertiary tie-breaker to determine the AQ … but that’s after Teams’ qualifying wins (over FCS, FBS, & FBS Transitioning Teams only) and losses (only to teams other than FBS and FBS-transitioning teams) give each Team a Won/Loss Record/% and a tie (if other necessary factors (equal number of games vs. ‘categories’ of Teams) are ‘aligned’) is not broken by a head-to-head result.
https://twitter.com/fcs_stats/status/1562132152208220160
That’s fine … and if the article is correct, they’ve sussed out the math…so it should be all good…

1) The ASUN-WAC Challenge standings will count FCS results and wins over FBS or FBS-reclassifying teams.

2) If a reclassifying team finishes first in the standings, the next-highest eligible team would earn the AQ.

3) If the top-two eligible teams are tied after playing the same number of countable games and met during the regular season, the AQ would be earned by the head-to-head winner.

4) If another tie-breaker is necessary, an ASUN-WAC power ranking – a mathematical calculation of countable games – would determine the AQ.

a) Seventy percent of the power ranking would be based on each team’s win percentage,

b) 15 percent would go to an opponents’ win percentage and…

c) …another 15 percent would go to the opponents’ opponents win percentage.

BEAR
August 24th, 2022, 10:26 AM
UCA football preview... https://open.spotify.com/episode/6CBnyXolYTdyN39lvxxMoz

BEAR
August 24th, 2022, 10:42 AM
That’s fine … and if the article is correct, they’ve sussed out the math…so it should be all good…

1) The ASUN-WAC Challenge standings will count FCS results and wins over FBS or FBS-reclassifying teams.

2) If a reclassifying team finishes first in the standings, the next-highest eligible team would earn the AQ.

3) If the top-two eligible teams are tied after playing the same number of countable games and met during the regular season, the AQ would be earned by the head-to-head winner.

4) If another tie-breaker is necessary, an ASUN-WAC power ranking – a mathematical calculation of countable games – would determine the AQ.

a) Seventy percent of the power ranking would be based on each team’s win percentage,

b) 15 percent would go to an opponents’ win percentage and…

c) …another 15 percent would go to the opponents’ opponents win percentage.

Ok. So if I am reading those lines right then Jacksonville State and Sam Houston are not eligible for the AQ. ( See #2 )
That leaves 10 teams I believe.
Which of these 10 teams are in transition UP to division I? I know UNA is now a full member.
If a team has to play two transitional teams (or 3) then that will really make for an interesting view of that team!

SFA 93
August 24th, 2022, 12:27 PM
Coach Carthel talks about the upcoming game with Jacksonville State.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2022/8/23/football-game-preview-no-10-stephen-f-austin-vs-jacksonville-state.aspx (https://sfajacks.com/news/2022/8/23/football-game-preview-no-10-stephen-f-austin-vs-jacksonville-state.aspx)