PDA

View Full Version : Did JSU's Jackson State collective pay $1 million for Travis Hunter?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 19th, 2022, 08:52 AM
That's what Nick Saban seems to think.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33942494/alabama-football-coach-nick-saban-says-texas-bought-every-player-questions-whether-current-nil-model-sustainable

"Hell, read about it in the paper. I mean, Jackson State (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2296/jackson-state-tigers) paid a guy $1 million last year that was a really good Division I player to come to the school. It was in the paper, and they bragged about it. Nobody did anything about it. I mean, these guys at Miami (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2390/miami-hurricanes) that are going to play basketball there for $400,000, it's in the newspaper. The guy tells you how he's doing it."

Last I heard there were no NIL deals for Travis Hunter per se. There were rumors that Barstool Sports (Deion's employer) was going to offer Hunter something. Of course, are such rules required by Mississippi State Law to be disclosed?

FUBeAR
May 19th, 2022, 09:01 AM
FUBeAR has a well-placed source in ATL who advised it was $2 million. FUBeAR cannot confirm this though & will not reveal any other details other than to say he has no reason to doubt this source - a LONG-time good friend with no agenda.

Panther88
May 19th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Like coach Prime said... "We as a PEOPLE don't have to pay O-U-R PEOPLE to play WITH our PEOPLE."

:D I stay(ed) preaching that abrasive truth. :D

Swallow. Gag. Accept. Brutal response to a butt-hurt p5 coach who lost several precious 5* "recruits."

Daytripper
May 19th, 2022, 12:15 PM
Saban is an ass.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 19th, 2022, 01:02 PM
Like coach Prime said... "We as a PEOPLE don't have to pay O-U-R PEOPLE to play WITH our PEOPLE."

:D I stay(ed) preaching that abrasive truth. :D

Swallow. Gag. Accept. Brutal response to a butt-hurt p5 coach who lost several precious 5* "recruits."

Did Barstool, Deion's employer, pay him?

Anthony215
May 19th, 2022, 02:08 PM
If Travis did indeed get a $1 or $2 million dollar deal he hasn't been paid yet as his mom isn't living lavishly she's still in the same 3 bedroom home with 5 children lol.

JSUSoutherner
May 19th, 2022, 02:12 PM
"Did Jackson State University's Jackson State"

I had a stroke reading this title.

Panther88
May 19th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Did Barstool, Deion's employer, pay him?
Unsure.

Most kids are $$$ driven and looking to capitalize off NIL, if not the precedent Cali is about to establish for others to follow.

POD Knows
May 19th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Unsure.

Most kids are $$$ driven and looking to capitalize off NIL, if not the precedent Cali is about to establish for others to follow.You just freaking said "We as a PEOPLE don't have to pay O-U-R PEOPLE to play WITH our PEOPLE."

So what the **** is it, are your kids whores or altruists? Make up your freaking mind.

FUBeAR
May 19th, 2022, 06:44 PM
You just freaking said "We as a PEOPLE don't have to pay O-U-R PEOPLE to play WITH our PEOPLE."

So what the **** is it, are your kids whores or altruists? Make up your freaking mind.Are whoredom & altruism mutually exclusive? FUBeAR feels as if he’s known some whores with strong altruistic characteristics. Ahh, alas, maybe they were just really good businesswomen.

POD Knows
May 19th, 2022, 06:59 PM
Are whoredom & altruism mutually exclusive? FUBeAR feels as if he’s known some whores with strong altruistic characteristics. Ahh, alas, maybe they were just really good businesswomen.Don't even know or care anymore. My opinion, and my opinion is more important than anybody elses on here because I said so and it is my opinion that Jackson State bought this kid because there is no rational reason why the supposedly best prospect in the nation would settle for that **** hole. There, I said it. Why would the best prospect in the country go there, does he think it helps his draft stock, it doesn't and it won't. They bought and Grifter Neon knows the shot.

BTW, did Grifter Neon issue a statement today that I missed.

Panther88
May 19th, 2022, 08:49 PM
Don't even know or care anymore. My opinion, and my opinion is more important than anybody elses on here because I said so and it is my opinion that Jackson State bought this kid because there is no rational reason why the supposedly best prospect in the nation would settle for that **** hole. There, I said it. Why would the best prospect in the country go there, does he think it helps his draft stock, it doesn't and it won't. They bought and Grifter Neon knows the shot.

POD saban or POD fisher? 😱😱😱😱

xlolx xlmaox

WestCoastAggie
May 19th, 2022, 09:01 PM
Don't even know or care anymore. My opinion, and my opinion is more important than anybody elses on here because I said so and it is my opinion that Jackson State bought this kid because there is no rational reason why the supposedly best prospect in the nation would settle for that **** hole. There, I said it. Why would the best prospect in the country go there, does he think it helps his draft stock, it doesn't and it won't. They bought and Grifter Neon knows the shot.

Yikes!

POD Knows
May 19th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Yikes!
Dude. There were all sorts of rumors about this kid going there that revolved around NIL. Did it happen or not. I am just trolling for truth.

POD Knows
May 19th, 2022, 09:12 PM
POD saban or POD fisher? 

xlolx xlmaox
Neither. They are both scumbags. I don’t wallow in the same cesspool they do but feel free to assume that Grifter Neon is above all this. 😂

Lehigh Football Nation
May 20th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Are whoredom & altruism mutually exclusive? FUBeAR feels as if he’s known some whores with strong altruistic characteristics. Ahh, alas, maybe they were just really good businesswomen.

Reps for this. I think this is a strong candidate for post of the year.

POD Knows
May 20th, 2022, 11:44 AM
https://nypost.com/2022/05/20/deion-sanders-refuses-to-take-nick-sabans-call-after-lies/

Deion Sanders refuses to take Nick Saban’s call after $1 million ‘lie’

More info and response from Sanders on the Saban deal. The million dollars was a lie, it was only 250K or so. xlolx

GAD
May 20th, 2022, 02:25 PM

One of the best cover corners and kick returners of all time tells you "You got the talent I will teach you right here right on side of my own son"

POD Knows
May 20th, 2022, 02:45 PM
One of the best cover corners and kick returners of all time tells you "You got the talent I will teach you right here right on side of my own son"
Yea. He also got NIL to go there. Would he have went there without it? Never know because he got paid to go there. So Neon is going to micro manage the D Backs as head coach? I wish the kid the best of luck. He seems like a decent kid.

I see Sagan got slapped down by the SEC and has apologized for this remark. Good. The Saban comments are pot meet kettle awesomeness.

unknown-swac
May 20th, 2022, 04:06 PM

And this is coming from a dude that's a fan of a team in North Dakota...whose claim to fame has basically been them being an obvious FBS team beating up on a lower division. Go figure.

POD Knows
May 20th, 2022, 04:11 PM
And this is coming from a dude that's a fan of a team in North Dakota...whose claim to fame has basically been them being an obvious FBS team beating up on a lower division. Go figure.
We are bullies, it is the North Dakota way. I was just trolling for truth and clarity. We now know that the recruit in question went to JSU because he likes Neon and got paid. Everything else is window dressing.

Ridge1982
May 20th, 2022, 07:53 PM
Let’s see, Jackson State where you can be coached by the GOAT of cornerbacks or Siberia.

Man, that’s tough.

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2022, 08:21 PM
Let’s see, Jackson State where you can be coached by the GOAT of cornerbacks or Siberia.

Man, that’s tough.

LOL....who said we were recruiting him? We can't afford that kind of NIL monies.

Bisonoline
May 20th, 2022, 10:39 PM

Man, that’s tough.

One position does not a championship make.

JacksFan40
May 21st, 2022, 05:17 PM
Who cares if they did or didn’t. I think it’s funny to see Saban upset over the smaller schools taking his recruits away.

Good for the kid to go out and get the bag.

Ridge1982
May 21st, 2022, 05:50 PM
Alabama will be fine, but their days of collecting titles like candy will be over. The state just doesn’t have enough money to compete with USC, Texas, Florida, Georgia..

Which brings me to the FCS. The programs that are in the top 25 media and MSA markets are going to leave everyone else behind.

Bisonoline
May 21st, 2022, 09:41 PM
Alabama will be fine, but their days of collecting titles like candy will be over. The state just doesn’t have enough money to compete with USC, Texas, Florida, Georgia..

Which brings me to the FCS. The programs that are in the top 25 media and MSA markets are going to leave everyone else behind.

You are severely underestimating the money in Alabama. Plus Bama boosters will give till it hurts. They are serious down there.

Ridge1982
May 22nd, 2022, 06:48 AM
I didn’t say they were hurting for money. It’s that they won’t be enough against Hollywood and oil money in the Southwest. The Longhorns in particular are the most valuable and profitable college football program in the world and would make the New York Yankees blush now that NIL is legal.

ASU33
May 22nd, 2022, 06:44 PM

I mean tell us how you really feel!

POD Knows
May 22nd, 2022, 07:05 PM
I mean tell us how you really feel!
I don’t like Sanders, he is a punk and a hotdog and is not the GOAT at his position. Give me Lott, Woodson and a few others, Sanders is a little bitch. Hunter would not have went to JSU without the NIL, prove me wrong, you can’t because he got it

My comments about JSU were out of line but it was mostly a troll.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2022, 08:18 AM

Should I be concerned about Fordham winning 7 of the next 10 national championships?

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 23rd, 2022, 09:09 AM
If Travis did indeed get a $1 or $2 million dollar deal he hasn't been paid yet as his mom isn't living lavishly she's still in the same 3 bedroom home with 5 children lol.

Or maybe he is smart enough to realize that most players go bankrupt subsidizing their families and so he has hidden the money away!

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 23rd, 2022, 09:11 AM
I guess this means the Saban/Deion Aflac commercials are over.

Thank God!

caribbeanhen
May 23rd, 2022, 09:44 AM
Should I be concerned about Fordham winning 7 of the next 10 national championships?

Nope

Columbia

POD Knows
May 23rd, 2022, 09:52 AM
Nope

Columbia
Villanova. Ivy’s don’t participate.

walliver
May 23rd, 2022, 10:52 AM

How many FCS teams in top 25 markets don't compete with P5 teams in the same market?
Many of the most successful FCS teams are in smaller markets with no local P5 teams where the FCS team is the big dog.

Panther88
May 23rd, 2022, 01:07 PM
How many FCS teams in top 25 markets don't compete with P5 teams in the same market?
Many of the most successful FCS teams are in smaller markets with no local P5 teams where the FCS team is the big dog.

*drumroll*

Must be nice being a very small minnow in a small pond. xreadx FBS $$$ > fcs pretense.

Bisonoline
May 23rd, 2022, 01:09 PM
I didn’t say they were hurting for money. It’s that they won’t be enough against Hollywood and oil money in the Southwest. The Longhorns in particular are the most valuable and profitable college football program in the world and would make the New York Yankees blush now that NIL is legal.

Hollywood money????? LOL

Ridge1982
May 25th, 2022, 05:08 PM
I won’t go that far, but If they begin to care and pour more resources into the program, then they’ll be a tough out.

Ridge1982
May 25th, 2022, 05:10 PM
Villanova. Ivy’s don’t participate.
And maybe Lindenwood after their transition period is done.

POD Knows
May 25th, 2022, 05:25 PM
And maybe Lindenwood after their transition period is done.
I was joking. I don’t necessarily agree with your premise at the FCS level.

walliver
May 26th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Wofford is in the 35th largest TV market. But other D-I schools in the same market include Furman, Western Carolina, Presbyterian, UNC-Asheville, USC-Upstate and Clemson.

The combined population of Greenville and Spartanburg counties is larger than that of North Dakota or South Dakota (Montana is somewhat larger, but will likely be passed in the 2030 census). On the other hand, practically all the money is going to Clemson and USC-Columbia, and a small amount to UNC-Chapel Hill.

Outside of Big Sky Country and the upper midwest, financially successful FCS programs move to FBS. The most successful FCS programs are state universities in small markets with no FBS competition.

Mocs123
May 26th, 2022, 11:00 AM
All the south eastern FCS schools are in saturated P5 markets despite having some good TV Markets. As walliver noted - Greenville-Spartanburg is right in Wofford and Furman's back yard but despite that I imagine it's got exponentially more Clemson fans than Furman and Wofford fans combined. Mercer - I assume would be in the huge Atlanta TV market, but very few people in Atlanta care about Mercer sports - They are all UGA, Auburn, Alabama, GT, Florida, etc fans. Chattanooga is a decent size TV market, but there are WAY more UTK, UGA, and Alabama fans in the city than Moc fans.

Either way, we can't compete with the SEC (and ACC to some degree).

I'm not against players being able to do NIL deals fundamentally, but somehow I don't think the current NIL environment is what the NCAA intended, nor is it good for college sports.

Ridge1982
May 26th, 2022, 04:38 PM
I was joking. I don’t necessarily agree with your premise at the FCS level.
There’s no longer an NFL team in St. Louis. Not saying what I said will come to fruition, but the potential for success shouldn’t be brushed off.

Libertine
May 26th, 2022, 11:26 PM
I don't think the current NIL environment is what the NCAA intended,

To be clear, the NCAA never intended for NIL to exist at all. NIL only exists because the NCAA lost a lawsuit.

ASU33
May 27th, 2022, 04:41 PM
Or maybe he is smart enough to realize that most players go bankrupt subsidizing their families and so he has hidden the money away!

This is the most #TwoAmericas answer ever!

unknown-swac
May 28th, 2022, 07:13 PM

Oh there's a better word for it most definitely.

caribbeanhen
May 29th, 2022, 05:22 AM

he’s entitled to keep his money... no sharing necessary

DEX
May 29th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Looks like Coach Prime and JSU didn't receive the memo about staying in their lane?
No contact with any recruits ranked in the top 500.......and that includes his own kids!

ASU33
June 2nd, 2022, 11:55 AM
he’s entitled to keep his money... no sharing necessary

This is true. However there's #TwoAmericas and things work very differently between the two.