PDA

View Full Version : Utah Tech (formerly Dixie State) unveils new logos and branding

hebmskebm
May 16th, 2022, 07:53 PM
https://utahtech.edu/brand/

I have to say it all looks pretty damn clean. Like the color scheme, the lettering. The shape of the state within the "U" was a nice touch. It's nice that there are no other prominent schools out there using the UT moniker. At least not any with football teams of note in recent years! :D

Panther88
May 16th, 2022, 10:50 PM
I firmly cannot believe "that" school, like numerous others in the recent-like past, caved in to societal pressure for the lying facade of "diversity" just to attract dumm... I mean colored athletes who are not mentally astute and only want to "run de ball fo' coach." lol

Trailblazers, trendsetters, abnormal-normalcy, ... that name game to appease has been played decades ago. I would've given more respect if they stayed true to their grassroots cause; notwithstanding though, I, my $$$, or my downstreamers would never step foot on their campus under nil circumstances. xreadx

katss07
May 16th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Funny how Utah Tech’s new logo is divided into two parts (north and south) with their respective colors being blue and red… for a school that is trying to distance itself from the mock slave auctions, confederate uniforms, ect, that’s an interesting design choice.

dgtw
May 17th, 2022, 03:49 AM
Wokeness likely played a role in the name change. However, I think it is a good move as it lets people know where it is and the “Tech” part highlights their academic mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Crusader 2010
May 17th, 2022, 05:13 AM
"Dixie" just sounds like a ridiculous name for a state university in Utah.

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2022, 08:16 AM
Wokeness likely played a role in the name change.

As it should. Good job by my fellow woke folk out there.

- - - Updated - - -

It is and was.

SDFS
May 17th, 2022, 09:18 AM
I like it - nicely done.

Daytripper
May 17th, 2022, 09:21 AM
It looks good. I bet their uniforms will be pretty sweet.

POD Knows
May 17th, 2022, 09:21 AM
The mascot looks awesome.

dgtw
May 17th, 2022, 09:44 AM

Exactly why it should have changed.

Daytripper
May 17th, 2022, 11:55 AM
Wokeness likely played a role in the name change. However, I think it is a good move as it lets people know where it is and the “Tech” part highlights their academic mission.

This is not some sudden "wokeness." According the the Salt Lake Tribune, they have been distancing themselves from their confederate past for while.

The school had already dropped its use of the Confederate flag in 1993 and Rodney the Rebel mascot in 2007. It removed a statue of a Confederate soldier in 2012. And the slave auctions and minstrel shows and blackface that students did up until the 1990s — which fill the pages of the yearbooks there (https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2021/11/09/dixie-state-university/)— ended, too.

__________________________________________________ __
Yes, they had minstrel shows and slave auctions.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2022/05/16/dixie-state-will-soon-be/

POD Knows
May 17th, 2022, 12:25 PM
This is not some sudden "wokeness." According the the Salt Lake Tribune, they have been distancing themselves from their confederate past for while.

The school had already dropped its use of the Confederate flag in 1993 and Rodney the Rebel mascot in 2007. It removed a statue of a Confederate soldier in 2012. And the slave auctions and minstrel shows and blackface that students did up until the 1990s — which fill the pages of the yearbooks there (https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2021/11/09/dixie-state-university/)— ended, too.

I am pretty sure the high school I went to had slave auctions as part of freshman initiation back in the 60's and 70's, the school was all white and basically it was done in order to make a freshman do your bidding for the week. I don't think it had any real reference to the confederacy or it was racist. This Dixie place on the other hand, with the rebel flag and open acknowledgement to the "south" might have been a different matter.

Libertine
May 17th, 2022, 12:43 PM
https://utahtech.edu/brand/
The shape of the state within the "U" was a nice touch. It's nice that there are no other prominent schools out there using the UT moniker. At least not any with football teams of note in recent years! :D

Ha! I didn't even see the state shape outline. I see the word "LIT".

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2022, 01:02 PM
Anybody leaning in on the political aspects on this should probably take a turn toward developing a thread on the other board.

This ain't the place for it.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2022, 01:05 PM
The mascot looks awesome.

I am never overly impressed at first with any of them...just get used to it for the most part until I think "yeah, I guess it's good" but I do like all of the work I saw at the link posted. Pretty solid job on it and it is all gonna look good on clothing.

FormerPokeCenter
May 17th, 2022, 01:15 PM
Well, BYU will probably be next in line to make some changes. Brigham Young personally brough slaves to Utah, in defiance of Mexico's ban, and then when Utah was part of the US, he was governor when slavery in Utah was legalized.

Bye Brigham!

POD Knows
May 17th, 2022, 01:48 PM
I am never overly impressed at first with any of them...just get used to it for the most part until I think "yeah, I guess it's good" but I do like all of the work I saw at the link posted. Pretty solid job on it and it is all gonna look good on clothing.
Agree. I think they did a pretty decent job on the branding.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Agree. I think they did a pretty decent job on the branding.

Additionally when we were talking last year about their scheduling etc. we all toook notice that they seem to have front office stuff pretty tied down...just more proof of what seems to be pretty good management.

POD Knows
May 17th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Additionally when we were talking last year about their scheduling etc. we all toook notice that they seem to have front office stuff pretty tied down...just more proof of what seems to be pretty good management.
NDSU played those guys in MBB last winter and it was a pretty tough game. I wouldn't mind have a H&H with them in FB as the country down there in Utah is pretty nice.

Laker
May 17th, 2022, 05:42 PM
NDSU played those guys in MBB last winter and it was a pretty tough game. I wouldn't mind have a H&H with them in FB as the country down there in Utah is pretty nice.

One of my former Nicollet athletes played QB at Rochester JC. They played in a bowl game in St George against Dixie State when they were still a JC too. It would be a great road game to go to. Be sure to visit Bryce and Zion if you go there. Impressive.

I'll have to get a new cap for my collection. I think that I'll wait until they have fitted ones though.

POD Knows
May 17th, 2022, 06:35 PM
One of my former Nicollet athletes played QB at Rochester JC. They played in a bowl game in St George against Dixie State when they were still a JC too. It would be a great road game to go to. Be sure to visit Bryce and Zion if you go there. Impressive.

I'll have to get a new cap for my collection. I think that I'll wait until they have fitted ones though.
I have been to Bryce and Zion multiple times, really nice part of the country.

Panther88
May 17th, 2022, 07:02 PM

Minstrel shows, confederate flags, rebel mascots, and still attracted "them" to their campus to "run de ball fo' coach?" xlolx

There is an obvious mental illness in that cross-section of the B community. xlolx xlolx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

wapiti
May 18th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Minstrel shows, confederate flags, rebel mascots, and still attracted "them" to their campus to "run de ball fo' coach?" xlolx

There is an obvious mental illness in that cross-section of the B community. xlolx xlolx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Why are you laughing at mental illness???? Mentally ill need help, not someone to laugh and make fun of them. You need help.

OhioHen
May 18th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Don't forget Cedar Breaks National Monument on your trek between the two NPs.

Panther88
May 18th, 2022, 10:23 AM
Why are you laughing at mental illness???? Mentally ill need help, not someone to laugh and make fun of them. You need help.
Great affirmation admitting that those who embellished in their evil historical practices AND those who chose to bow down to those same practices are mentally dysfunctional. Couldn't agree more. xthumbsupx

wapiti
May 18th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Great affirmation admitting that those who embellished in their evil historical practices AND those who chose to bow down to those same practices are mentally dysfunctional. Couldn't agree more. xthumbsupx

But why ae you laughing and making fun of mental illness? That is a mental illness. You need help.

Panther88
May 18th, 2022, 12:35 PM
But why ae you laughing and making fun of mental illness? That is a mental illness. You need help.

Why are you too concerned what someone lol's @? Are you mentally dense, shallow, and ill? xreadx Are you a "dixie state" xlolx graduate? xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 18th, 2022, 01:23 PM
I've put up with enough of the political bent/style **** on this board so there won't be another warning to STFU with those arguments. I hope that is clear enough to everyone, I mean anyone carrying on with it.

The next post about it goes on a long summer vacation from FCS board. That **** does not belong here. Put it on the political boards if you want to.

Nickels
May 20th, 2022, 02:42 PM
FYI Southern Utah is referred to as Dixie and has been for a long time for those that dont understand the original name. The alumni and most in the state were very much against the name change. Academics made the decision for everyone. Not looking to argue with anyone about it and frankly dont care.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2022, 03:14 PM
FYI Southern Utah is referred to as Dixie and has been for a long time for those that dont understand the original name. The alumni and most in the state were very much against the name change. Academics made the decision for everyone. Not looking to argue with anyone about it and frankly dont care.

As much as I like ya Nick, I stand behind what I said previously so it may not make any difference to you anyway but FCS Discussion is off for a while now.

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 23rd, 2022, 09:07 AM
Utah Tech sounds like a fake university name.

Whatever. Not my money.

Daytripper
May 23rd, 2022, 01:44 PM
Utah Tech sounds like a fake university name.

Whatever. Not my money.

As opposed to Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech?? What makes it sound fake?

FUBeAR
May 23rd, 2022, 01:58 PM
As opposed to Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech?? What makes it sound fake?
To St. Francis peeps, unless there are at least 4 states which have schools with the same name, then it must not be legit.

UAalum72
May 23rd, 2022, 08:33 PM
To St. Francis peeps, unless there are at least 4 states which have schools with the same name, then it must not be legit.
Cal Tech

FUBeAR
May 23rd, 2022, 09:53 PM
Cal Tech
LOL - that’s 4, but, um, no. It would need to be something like…

Utah Tech (PA)
Utah Tech (NY)
Utah Tech (IN)
Utah Tech (IL)

…to be legit enough for the SFU peeps.

caribbeanhen
May 24th, 2022, 07:21 AM
Del Tech
Georgetown campus
standing in line to pay my tuition in 1981 with my own hard earned money, in a come to Jesus moment, I stuffed that money back in my pocket and walked out and never looked back until today. Best decision I ever made

Henny
May 24th, 2022, 08:55 AM
Del Tech
Georgetown campus
standing in line to pay my tuition in 1981 with my own hard earned money, in a come to Jesus moment, I stuffed that money back in my pocket and walked out and never looked back until today. Best decision I ever made

The first and last time Del Tech will ever be mentioned on these boardsxlolx

caribbeanhen
May 24th, 2022, 10:13 AM
The first and last time Del Tech will ever be mentioned on these boardsxlolx

Yes indeed, That was a perfect opportunity to squeeze Del Tech in there