PDA

View Full Version : First football game played in Japan in 1976 was between two HBCUs

bonarae
April 18th, 2022, 12:17 AM
In the Pioneer Bowl, Morgan State played Grambling.

https://andscape.com/features/back-in-the-day-40-years-ago-morgan-state-and-grambling-played-in-tokyo/

Tribe4SF
April 18th, 2022, 02:02 AM
W&M played in the Epson Ivy Bowl in Japan in both 1988 and 1992. In the press conference after the '88 game (won by the Tribe 73-3 over a team of Japanese college all-stars) some of the questions were hilarious.

Japanese reporter: "You came into this game known as a prolific passing team and I'm wondering why you chose to run the ball almost exclusively (Tribe rushed for over 400 yards)."

Jimmye Laycock: "Uhhh, it just seemed like the right thing to do."

Sader87
April 18th, 2022, 07:33 PM
Anybody else remember Grambling highlights on Sunday mornings in the '70s? They used to show both Grambling and ND highlights from the previous day's game on Boston TV.

I can still hear Lindsay Nelson saying: "Notre Dame could not sustain the drive and we'll take you further ahead in the game" or some such.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2022, 12:41 PM
W&M played in the Epson Ivy Bowl in Japan in both 1988 and 1992. In the press conference after the '88 game (won by the Tribe 73-3 over a team of Japanese college all-stars) some of the questions were hilarious.

Japanese reporter: "You came into this game known as a prolific passing team and I'm wondering why you chose to run the ball almost exclusively (Tribe rushed for over 400 yards)."

Jimmye Laycock: "Uhhh, it just seemed like the right thing to do."

I never heard any of this but it’s fascinating

Tribe4SF
April 20th, 2022, 05:18 AM
I never heard any of this but it’s fascinating

It was an interesting series of games played between 1988 and 1996. All but two of the games featured an Ivy League all-star team against the Japanese all-stars. W&M was invited twice as a "public Ivy" to send our team. The 1992 game was played against the Nihon University team and they proved a more formidable foe with the Tribe prevailing 35-19. Foregoing the playoffs to participate was determined by a team vote prior to the season. The '92 team finished the regular season 9-2 and could have made noise in the playoffs.

caribbeanhen
April 20th, 2022, 09:24 AM
It was an interesting series of games played between 1988 and 1996. All but two of the games featured an Ivy League all-star team against the Japanese all-stars. W&M was invited twice as a "public Ivy" to send our team. The 1992 game was played against the Nihon University team and they proved a more formidable foe with the Tribe prevailing 35-19. Foregoing the playoffs to participate was determined by a team vote prior to the season. The '92 team finished the regular season 9-2 and could have made noise in the playoffs.

I like this kind of stuff, reminds a bit of Bill Veeck in baseball

walliver
April 20th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Anybody else remember Grambling highlights on Sunday mornings in the '70s? They used to show both Grambling and ND highlights from the previous day's game on Boston TV.

I can still hear Lindsay Nelson saying: "Notre Dame could not sustain the drive and we'll take you further ahead in the game" or some such.

I remember the Notre Dame broadcasts. Watching them, it would seem ND won every game in a blow-out shut-out, even when they lost.

dgtw
April 20th, 2022, 05:33 PM

The baseball stadium at the University of Tennessee is named for him.

I remember him mostly from the Cotton Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk