PDA

View Full Version : Former Lehigh Coach Andy Coen has Passed Away

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 15th, 2022, 09:02 PM
Terrible loss for the Lehigh football community. The rapid decline of a man Andy's age (like Pat Summit) was something truly awful to watch unfold. He was a vibrant, up-beat coach, father, husband, mentor just a few years ago before Alzheimer's took that all away from him. Just devastating :(

Strictly from a Lehigh football perspective, Andy's illness and subsequent resignation was a devastating blow to the program given the time and, imo, who ultimately followed in his footsteps. Andy was not the "greatest" coach ever given his Mack Brown CEO style yet he was the "perfect" type of coach for Lehigh and the Patriot League. While he'd produce a clunker season now and again, suffer a bad loss, overall he produced teams with a high ceiling and developed quality assistants. Lehigh was set up for a helluva run from 2016-2018 but it never came about due to horrible fate. I promise you, Holy Cross is not 3-peating (likely 4-peating) with a healthy Andy Coen leading Lehigh football....

bonarae
April 15th, 2022, 09:35 PM
Condolences to the Mountain Hawks. :(

To look back, did his sudden resignation open the door for Holy Cross? xchinscratchx

Bill
April 15th, 2022, 10:35 PM
I am saddened to hear this. I was never his biggest supporter... but I never got a chance to know him either. I took too many shots at his decisions without knowing what was going on in the background - and I have nothing but prayers and condolences to those who actually knew him!

Southsider
April 16th, 2022, 07:46 AM
Owl pretty much summed it up. Right coach at the right school. I too was very critical at times, but given what we have today, I would roll out the red carpet for Andy. Boy, if there was ever a time for a total overhaul for LU FB, it is now!

NY Crusader 2010
April 16th, 2022, 08:53 AM
A legend gone way too soon. My heart breaks for his family and friends and what he and they had to endure with the Alzheimers' setting in. At least they have the peace of now knowing that Coach Coen is now in a better place.

Lehigh'98
April 16th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Andy was a great coach and even better person. He pushed me everyday for 4 years to get the most out. He was a fierce competitor. Those great memories of him will last as long as I do. He had some extremely competitive top 10 teams as a head coach (2011 being the best). RIP Coach :(

kdinva
April 16th, 2022, 05:25 PM
Rest in Peach, Coach

Go...gate
April 17th, 2022, 12:41 AM
Condolences to the Lehigh Family. Coen was a credit to his university and to the Patriot League.

BEAR
April 17th, 2022, 09:27 AM
Rest in peace coach. What a horrible disease. :( Condolences to the Lehigh family.

caribbeanhen
April 17th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Really tough to hear how this sad day came so quick

RIP Coach!