PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame to play first ever FCS team - Tennessee State in 2023

dbackjon
April 5th, 2022, 03:58 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-football-schedule-irish-add-first-ever-fcs-opponent-will-face-tennessee-state-in-2023-opener/

Notre Dame (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/teams/ND/notre-dame-fighting-irish/) has scheduled an FCS opponent for the first time in program history, as the Fighting Irish announced on Tuesday they will welcome HBCU Tennessee State (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/teams/TNST/tennessee-state-tigers/) to Notre Dame Stadium on Sept. 2, 2023.
Adding the HBCU power to the schedule comes just four months after Notre Dame hired Marcus Freeman as the second Black coach in program history. Tennessee State is led by College Football (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football) Hall of Fame running back Eddie George. Both Freeman and George were All-Big Ten players at Ohio State (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/teams/OHIOST/ohio-state-buckeyes/), and George won the Buckeyes' sixth Heisman Trophy in 1995.

taper
April 5th, 2022, 06:02 PM
Wow, didn't see that coming. I think that leaves UCLA as the only FBS to have never played an FCS.

Chalupa Batman
April 5th, 2022, 08:05 PM
Wow, didn't see that coming. I think that leaves UCLA as the only FBS to have never played an FCS.

USC Trojans haven’t either. They were scheduled to play UC Davis a couple years ago but cancelled because too many fans threw a temper tantrum.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/24/usc-turned-away-from-the-fcs-today-but-tomorrow-might-be-different/

bonarae
April 5th, 2022, 08:28 PM

Barring further problems, UCLA will play Alabama State for reasons unknown to us on September 10, 2022.

Panther88
April 6th, 2022, 08:18 AM
UCLA is playing the SWAC's Alabama St Univ fall '22 and I think they are playing the SWAC's Southern Univ fall '23 or '24.

ASU33
April 6th, 2022, 09:44 AM
UCLA is playing the SWAC's Alabama St Univ fall '22 and I think they are playing the SWAC's Southern Univ fall '23 or '24.

UCLA is playing NCCU in 2023. Southern is going out west to play Frenso State in 2023. They have no games scheduled with UCLA

centraljerseycat
April 6th, 2022, 10:32 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-football-schedule-irish-add-first-ever-fcs-opponent-will-face-tennessee-state-in-2023-opener/

Notre Dame (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/teams/ND/notre-dame-fighting-irish/) has scheduled an FCS opponent for the first time in program history, as the Fighting Irish announced on Tuesday they will welcome HBCU Tennessee State (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/teams/TNST/tennessee-state-tigers/) to Notre Dame Stadium on Sept. 2, 2023.
Adding the HBCU power to the schedule comes just four months after Notre Dame hired Marcus Freeman as the second Black coach in program history. Tennessee State is led by College Football (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football) Hall of Fame running back Eddie George. Both Freeman and George were All-Big Ten players at Ohio State (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/teams/OHIOST/ohio-state-buckeyes/), and George won the Buckeyes' sixth Heisman Trophy in 1995.

Can't wait for this game if I'm a Notre Dame season ticket holder. I assume it will be dubbed "The Woke Bowl'...

ASU33
April 6th, 2022, 06:38 PM
Can't wait for this game if I'm a Notre Dame season ticket holder. I assume it will be dubbed "The Woke Bowl'...

Is woke the new proxy for black or something?

FUBeAR
April 6th, 2022, 07:10 PM
Uh oh. Y’all gonna get in trouble. This is the FCS Forum.

Taking this to the Political Forum under a topic titled something like … “The Woke Points System in Sports Today” might be interesting to discuss there.

NY Crusader 2010
April 6th, 2022, 07:15 PM
USC Trojans haven’t either. They were scheduled to play UC Davis a couple years ago but cancelled because too many fans threw a temper tantrum.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/24/usc-turned-away-from-the-fcs-today-but-tomorrow-might-be-different/

I remember they cancelled that game when someone pointed out to the AD that USC was one of three schools never to have played an FCS, and the other two schools were their two main football rivals UCLA and ND.

So soon they'll be the only FBS school never to have played an FCS.

FUBeAR
April 6th, 2022, 07:24 PM
I remember they cancelled that game when someone pointed out to the AD that USC was one of three schools never to have played an FCS, and the other two schools were their two main football rivals UCLA and ND.

So soon they'll be the only FBS school never to have played an FCS.
This seems like a perfect situation for a Coach Prime ‘callout’ to the Trojans, as he recently did for NFL Teams not in attendance at Jackson State’s Pro Day.

Pretty sure if Jackson State wanted a game with USC in LA, that would happen.

Grambling might be ‘in the mix’ for USC’s 1st FCS opponent also. Might be more there from a ‘historic’ perspective…and with Hue Jackson being born & raised in LA…a West Coast guy most of his career, including 4 years as the Trojans OC.

Panther88
April 6th, 2022, 09:40 PM
UCLA is playing NCCU in 2023. Southern is going out west to play Frenso State in 2023. They have no games scheduled with UCLA

They did some type of 2-yr pay-in deal w/ a west coast school, if memory serves correct. Thought it was UCLA (advanced payment).

If Fresno St, I stand corrected on the opponent.

Panther88
April 6th, 2022, 09:47 PM

The inherent pilgrim ignorance... xlolx

bonarae
April 6th, 2022, 10:00 PM
They did some type of 2-yr pay-in deal w/ a west coast school, if memory serves correct. Thought it was UCLA (advanced payment).

Are they searchable via HBCU-related sources? FBSchedules doesn't have the California opponents for Southern U yet (EWU is listed on the site as Fresno State's FCS for 2023.)

But per the same site (UCLA future schedules page), both Alabama State and NC Central are listed.

NY Crusader 2010
April 7th, 2022, 05:59 AM

Was a dumb comment by our respected friend from VU. But I think the "woke" reference is because there is a feeling that perhaps Notre Dame and UCLA scheduled these games for positive PR. Which is fine by me -- the end result is a good thing for FCS football.

The uninformed college football fan might view this as a noble move by Notre Dame, an act of generosity. The fact is that HBCU's all for the most part regularly schedule body-bag games against FBS schools, including some P5 opponents. And they all play a bunch of $$$ games in Men's Basketball. A P5 school playing on the road against Jackson State, that would be a real story. To be fair, I think a few PAC 12 schools did commit to road basketball games against MEAC and SWAC opponents.

As far as I'm concerned, HBCU football as an essential piece of the fabric that makes up FCS football and Division I athletics in general. So I'm excited for the student athletes at Tennessee State to get the opportunity to play in South Bend.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 7th, 2022, 02:03 PM
Folks, be real careful on the FCS board. If you want to see absolute intolerance I will be sure and embody it as far as politics on these threads. Keep any political type stuff off of here. I don't even want a whiff of it.

walliver
April 8th, 2022, 01:38 PM
I’m not surprised the Drunken Irish chose to play a HBCU, but was somewhat surprised they picked “HBCU power” TSU instead of a more nationally-known school like Grambling or Dion’s Aflac State.

NY Crusader 2010
April 9th, 2022, 12:22 PM
I’m not surprised the Drunken Irish chose to play a HBCU, but was somewhat surprised they picked “HBCU power” TSU instead of a more nationally-known school like Grambling or Dion’s Aflac State.

It's because Eddie George is the head coach there. Newly promoted Notre Dame head coach Marcus Freeman played at Ohio State, about a decade after George did but there seems to be a connection of some kind there.

unknown-swac
April 9th, 2022, 06:40 PM
The inherent pilgrim ignorance... xlolx

I cannot lie. Some of these comments bruh... If I everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... let me log off.

Gil Dobie
April 10th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Go TSU!!!!!

ElCid
April 10th, 2022, 09:08 AM
It's obviously a big distinction, but just for the record and gee whiz purposes, ND has played many schools who are currently FCS, but played no FCS schools since the split in 1978. The last ones were Drake in 37, and a couple Ivies in the 40s and 50s. Looks like at least Butler, Valparaiso, SD as well in the 1910s and 20s. Probably a few others.

POD Knows
April 10th, 2022, 09:28 AM
Go TSU!!!!!
That would be awesome if TSU beat them, it would probably be the greatest upset in the history of sports.

caribbeanhen
April 10th, 2022, 11:33 AM
That would be awesome if TSU beat them, it would probably be the greatest upset in the history of sports.ly w

it would but what about the North Dakota State, now that would be a Notre Dame game I would actually watch

ASU33
April 10th, 2022, 02:23 PM

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2021/7/13/fresno-state-football-adds-historic-contest-against-southern-university-to-future-nonconference-schedules.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2021/7/13/fresno-state-football-adds-historic-contest-against-southern-university-to-future-nonconference-schedules.aspx

NY Crusader 2010
April 10th, 2022, 08:53 PM
It's obviously a big distinction, but just for the record and gee whiz purposes, ND has played many schools who are currently FCS, but played no FCS schools since the split in 1978. The last ones were Drake in 37, and a couple Ivies in the 40s and 50s. Looks like at least Butler, Valparaiso, SD as well in the 1910s and 20s. Probably a few others.

Pre-WWII I'm sure every P5 not only played a bunch of current FCS schools but many schools that are NAIA, DII or DIII today. Back at the turn of the 20th century, you'd even see records of college teams playing against high school and prep school teams. Also local athletic clubs and collegiate squads. Anyone within a train ride, steamboat ride or horse-and-buggy ride I guess.

This is why if you look up the old yearly records from those really old times, you'll often find scores in the range of 120-0.

NDSU1980
April 10th, 2022, 09:33 PM
ly w

it would but what about the North Dakota State, now that would be a Notre Dame game I would actually watch
Maybe Notre Dame should schedule NDSU and if we won we could say we beat both ND's in the same year. :)

Ridge1982
April 10th, 2022, 09:41 PM
Pre-WWII I'm sure every P5 not only played a bunch of current FCS schools but many schools that are NAIA, DII or DIII today. Back at the turn of the 20th century, you'd even see records of college teams playing against high school and prep school teams. Also local athletic clubs and collegiate squads. Anyone within a train ride, steamboat ride or horse-and-buggy ride I guess.

This is why if you look up the old yearly records from those really old times, you'll often find scores in the range of 120-0.

For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1901_Saint_Louis_Blue_and_White_football_team

OhioHen
April 11th, 2022, 06:33 AM
Maybe Notre Dame should schedule NDSU and if we won we could say we beat both ND's in the same year. :)
Or that would be the one year in twenty that the Fighting Sues beat the Bizun.

Panther88
April 12th, 2022, 06:45 AM
I cannot lie. Some of these comments bruh... If I everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... let me log off.

We are witnessing dweeb nerds @ ags hiding behind keyboards who ride iron poles w/out a seat on bicycles every w/e. "Blah blah blah I rides 10 mile fah' canca' - helps me." xlolx

They, most, are realistically a weak lot.

Bisonoline
April 12th, 2022, 10:31 AM
We are witnessing dweeb nerds @ ags hiding behind keyboards who ride iron poles w/out a seat on bicycles every w/e. "Blah blah blah I rides 10 mile fah' canca' - helps me." xlolx

They, most, are realistically a weak lot.

And here you are.xthumbsupx

Panther88
April 12th, 2022, 10:36 AM
And here you are.xthumbsupx
And yet you naturally and inherently lol glossed over pilgrim ignorance to comment towards me. How sway. :D

Bisonoline
April 12th, 2022, 11:08 AM
And yet you naturally and inherently lol glossed over pilgrim ignorance to comment towards me. How sway. :D

And here you are being hypocritical----------again. (nice attempt at deflection)

ElCid
April 12th, 2022, 01:49 PM

What part of Ursus' warning didn't you understand?

Panther88
April 12th, 2022, 02:54 PM
And here you are being hypocritical----------again. (nice attempt at deflection)

Moi? Never. Speak to pilgrim descendant w/ the initial remark. Can you try to reach that one, he with short arms.

WestCoastAggie
April 12th, 2022, 03:09 PM
This seems like a perfect situation for a Coach Prime ‘callout’ to the Trojans, as he recently did for NFL Teams not in attendance at Jackson State’s Pro Day.

Pretty sure if Jackson State wanted a game with USC in LA, that would happen.

Grambling might be ‘in the mix’ for USC’s 1st FCS opponent also. Might be more there from a ‘historic’ perspective…and with Hue Jackson being born & raised in LA…a West Coast guy most of his career, including 4 years as the Trojans OC.

Makes sense. No wonder he's pulling in all of those CA recruits to Grambling. He's a Dorsey High QB. Man, those Crenshaw v. Dorsey Games were the big time games in South Central growing up. It's too bad I Went to Westchester where I couldn't stand both programs. They felt we looked down upon them as they felt the black kids bused to Westchester and other HS on the westside looked down upon them.

It led to some tense games between us and them.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2022, 03:22 PM
Moi? Never. Speak to pilgrim descendant w/ the initial remark. Can you try to reach that one, he with short arms.

This pilgrim mentions things once, maybe twice once in a while but it a pretty short leash when I say knock it the **** off, I mean it. You are gonna take a brief vacation from FCS for a while. Hopefully we can move forward in a better way on FCS discussions going forward.

I will suggest that anybody that wants to taint this side of the board with **** from the poli side and you will be shown the door on the FCS side and possible all of the board if you persist.

POD Knows
April 12th, 2022, 03:25 PM
Maybe it was mentioned in this thread but I am too lazy to look but are their plans to televise this game nationally?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2022, 03:25 PM

Olline, this sort of thing isn't really helpful to me either when I'm trying to get something to stop I don't need gas poured on the thing. There are a lot of times in these situations when just not hitting "post reply" will help both of us out.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Maybe it was mentioned in this thread but I am too lazy to look but are their plans to televise this game nationally?

Boy, you would sure think so with it being ND.

POD Knows
April 12th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Boy, you would sure think so with it being ND.I think all ND games are seen on some pay deal, they probably have their own channel. Not a domer fan so I don't really follow them but this game might be interesting, for a while.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2022, 03:37 PM
I think all ND games are seen on some pay deal, they probably have their own channel. Not a domer fan so I don't really follow them but this game might be interesting, for a while.

I'm living in the past I guess as I just went right to NBC of the oldern days. I obviously don't watch much FBS, I should say I don't watch any so my authority on where to watch any of it is greatly lacking.

Bisonoline
April 12th, 2022, 04:56 PM
Olline, this sort of thing isn't really helpful to me either when I'm trying to get something to stop I don't need gas poured on the thing. There are a lot of times in these situations when just not hitting "post reply" will help both of us out.

No problem. It my fault as I wasnt paying attention to the thread where it was posted. xthumbsupx

atthewbon
April 12th, 2022, 10:50 PM
I think all ND games are seen on some pay deal, they probably have their own channel. Not a domer fan so I don't really follow them but this game might be interesting, for a while.

I think Notre Dame has a deal with NBC.

OhioHen
April 13th, 2022, 06:15 AM
I think Notre Dame has a deal with NBC.
All Notre Dame home games are on NBC. The Tennessee State Tigers will have their game on network TV.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 13th, 2022, 12:43 PM
All Notre Dame home games are on NBC. The Tennessee State Tigers will have their game on network TV.

Well hell, even though my thinking was 20 yrs. in the past I guess it still holds.