PDA

View Full Version : CAA 2022 Pre-Season Discussion

KPSUL
March 24th, 2022, 05:42 PM
Since the old CAA Fall 2021 In-Season Discussion has transitioned to talk of 2022, I thought it was time for a new CAA Thread.

NEW HAMPSHIRE 2022 SCHEDULE

Date
Opponent

Thursday, Sept. 1
MONMOUTH*

Saturday, Sept. 10
at UAlbany*

Saturday, Sept. 17
NC CENTRAL

Saturday, Sept. 24
at Towson*

Saturday, Oct. 1
at Western Michigan

Saturday, Oct. 8
STONY BROOK*

Saturday, Oct. 15
at Dartmouth

Saturday, Oct. 22
ELON*

Saturday, Oct. 29
Open Week

Saturday, Nov. 5
at Richmond*

Saturday, Nov. 12
RHODE ISLAND*

Saturday, Nov. 19
at Maine*

*CAA game

mainejeff
March 24th, 2022, 08:39 PM
MAINE 2022 SCHEDULE

Sept. 3 at New Mexico
Sept. 10 vs. Colgate
Sept. 17 at Boston College
Oct. 1 vs. Villanova
Oct. 8 at Hampton
Oct. 15 vs. Monmouth
Oct. 22 at Stony Brook
Oct. 29 vs. Richmond
Nov. 5 at Rhode Island
Nov. 12 at UAlbany
Nov. 19 vs. New Hampshire

Henny
March 25th, 2022, 06:58 AM
Full 2022 Schedule
Delaware

Sept. 3 at Navy
Sept. 10 Delaware State
Sept. 17 at Rhode Island *
Sept. 24 Hampton *
Oct. 1 Towson *
Oct. 8 at William & Mary *
Oct. 15 BYE
Oct. 22 Morgan State
Oct. 29 at Elon *
Nov. 5 Monmouth *
Nov. 12 Richmond *
Nov. 19 at Villanova *

As posted by Carib on the 2021 thread.

KPSUL
March 25th, 2022, 09:56 AM
I think we are going to have a very competitive conference this season. I wouldn't expect any team to end with a record better than 6-2. It will be interesting to see how well new CAA football members, Monmouth and Hampton will fare. Looking at the scheduling division between North and South, at this point I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on which grouping is "stronger". In fact, I expect to see that it is pretty well balanced.

caribbeanhen
March 25th, 2022, 10:01 AM
I think we are going to have a very competitive conference this season. I wouldn't expect any team to end with a record better than 6-2. It will be interesting to see how well new CAA football members, Monmouth and Hampton will fare. Looking at the scheduling division between North and South, at this point I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on which grouping is "stronger". In fact, I expect to see that it is pretty well balanced.

I think Monmouth will be very competitive and Hampton not so much

North Carolina A&T will be very competitive next year

As Yogi once said ...The CAA ain’t as bad as it is right now”

MR. CHICKEN
March 25th, 2022, 10:02 AM

......5 SQWADS......WHIFF 4-4 CONF.....RECORDS......LAST SEASON...........BRAWK!

KPSUL
March 30th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Anyone ready to make a case for which CAA teams have the best chance of winning the conference this Fall? Which team should be considered the sleeper of dark horse going into the season? What do you know about the team(s) you follow closely that the rest of us might not?

MR. CHICKEN
March 30th, 2022, 09:46 PM

......AH GET DUH FEELIN'.....BILL & MARE.....PUT IT TOGETHER DIS YEAR.....MADE NOISE LAST SEASON......SOME UH TRIBE MENTIONED..."D" IS RETURNIN' INTACT........AN' 'NOVA ALWAYS LURKS IN TOP TEN......AWK!

Tribe4SF
March 31st, 2022, 06:10 AM

......AH GET DUH FEELIN'.....BILL & MARE.....PUT IT TOGETHER DIS YEAR.....MADE NOISE LAST SEASON......SOME UH TRIBE MENTIONED..."D" IS RETURNIN' INTACT........AN' 'NOVA ALWAYS LURKS IN TOP TEN......AWK!

If the Tribe can produce more through the air we should be a threat. Darius Wilson was CAA ROY at QB but Hollis Mathis seems fully recovered from shoulder surgery on throwing arm in spring last year. Starter yet to be determined. Three lost starters on OL leaves the biggest question mark. The three stepping in all have experience but depth could use transfer help. Major depth at RB with Donavyn Lester, Bronson Yoder and Malachi Imoh joined by redshirted Martin Lucas (6'2" 245). Defense is set with 10 starters back and depth everywhere.

The other sleepers in my mind are Richmond and Elon. Transfer portal QBs seem to have solved their biggest issues.

caribbeanhen
March 31st, 2022, 07:02 AM
Richmond has really helped themselves with the addition of QB that was at VMI a few years ago and VMI WR Jakob Herres

KPSUL
March 31st, 2022, 04:23 PM
So who's the QB that Elon picked-up through the portal? The big question marks for both Elon and Richmond for me was replacing excellent career QBs. Both teams have been notably better with Mancuso or Check playing over recent seasons, notably worse without them.

Tribe4SF
April 1st, 2022, 05:24 AM
So who's the QB that Elon picked-up through the portal? The big question marks for both Elon and Richmond for me was replacing excellent career QBs. Both teams have been notably better with Mancuso or Check playing over recent seasons, notably worse without them.

Matthew Mckay from Montana State. Started career at NC State.

Played the 2018 and 2019 seasons at North Carolina State, redshirting in 2017, before moving on to Montana State to play the 2021 fall campaign
Played in 11 games at NC State, starting five times in 2019, throwing for as many as 308 yards in a game against East Carolina
Threw for almost 1,000 yards in his career at NC State
Was the starting quarterback at Montana State, leading the team to the FCS playoffs in a 12-3 season that included a 7-1 conference mark
Was 153-of-248 (61.7 percent) passing for 2,037 yards to go with 17 touchdowns and only three interceptions
Was 19-of-29 for 202 yards and two touchdowns in a near upset of FBS Wyoming, a program that advanced to, and won, the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

KPSUL
April 1st, 2022, 05:03 PM
Matthew Mckay from Montana State. Started career at NC State.

Played the 2018 and 2019 seasons at North Carolina State, redshirting in 2017, before moving on to Montana State to play the 2021 fall campaign
Played in 11 games at NC State, starting five times in 2019, throwing for as many as 308 yards in a game against East Carolina
Threw for almost 1,000 yards in his career at NC State
Was the starting quarterback at Montana State, leading the team to the FCS playoffs in a 12-3 season that included a 7-1 conference mark
Was 153-of-248 (61.7 percent) passing for 2,037 yards to go with 17 touchdowns and only three interceptions
Was 19-of-29 for 202 yards and two touchdowns in a near upset of FBS Wyoming, a program that advanced to, and won, the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

Wow, excellent resume. Good pick-up for the Arachnids!

caribbeanhen
April 1st, 2022, 05:49 PM

So this is the QB that entered the portal right before the playoffs?

After he was replaced by the TD Tommy kid?

Tribe4SF
April 2nd, 2022, 06:44 AM
So this is the QB that entered the portal right before the playoffs?

After he was replaced by the TD Tommy kid?

Yup.

Tribe4SF
April 2nd, 2022, 06:45 AM

Elon, not Richmond.

KPSUL
April 2nd, 2022, 07:10 AM
Elon, not Richmond.

Senior moment!

So it seems like Reece Udinski will be the #1 Richmond QB. They also have Beau English returning who played last season when Mancuso was injured. I guess it makes sense to bring a guy like Udinski or McKay in for a one grad student year, but I wouldn't want to be a Sophomore or Junior QB for either team. Both Udinski and McKay will be playing for their 3rd school this fall.

Tribe4SF
April 2nd, 2022, 07:40 AM
So is Daniel Smith done at Nova? If so he leaves a sizable void for the Wildcats.

caribbeanhen
April 2nd, 2022, 08:14 AM
So is Daniel Smith done at Nova? If so he leaves a sizable void for the Wildcats.

if so they will find another capable QB like they always do

centraljerseycat
April 2nd, 2022, 10:55 AM
Yes Daniel Smith finished his MBA and is gone. His replacement right now is Junior Connor Watkins, former 1st team all state of Pennsylvania. He's a little undersized which is why he only had FCS offers. Better passer than Smith but not as mobile or dynamic.

MR. CHICKEN
April 2nd, 2022, 11:22 AM
....SMITTY....NOW DRAWS UP.....DUH DRIVER SKED.....FO' MAINLINE PIZZERIA.......OURAH SECONDARY.....WILL MAKE CONNOR....UH....PAYTON CANDIDATE.....:(.....AWK!

Tribe4SF
April 2nd, 2022, 11:26 AM
No Daniel Smith finished his MBA and is gone. His replacement right now is Junior Connor Watkins, former 1st team all state of Pennsylvania. He's a little undersized which is why he only had FCS offers. Better passer than Smith but not as mobile or dynamic.

Undersized? Roster lists him at 6'3" 215.

caribbeanhen
April 2nd, 2022, 11:53 AM
....SMITTY....NOW DRAWS UP.....DUH DRIVER SKED.....FO' MAINLINE PIZZERIA.......OURAH SECONDARY.....WILL MAKE CONNOR....UH....PAYTON CANDIDATE.....:(.....AWK!

No Mr C, with that dangling pierced earring I saw him sporting in playoff game, I think he’s working at the POT Caribbean ride at Disney.... my favorite by the way

MR. CHICKEN
April 2nd, 2022, 11:58 AM
No Mr C, with that dangling pierced earring I saw him sporting in playoff game, I think he’s working at the POT Caribbean ride at Disney.... my favorite by the way

...HOPE HIS TATS.....ARE BELOW DUH COLLAR LINE....OR HE NEVER GETS OUT UH MAIL [email protected] & MASON...:D....AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
April 2nd, 2022, 12:48 PM
.....AS PER BYES...INNAH 'NOTHERAH THREAD (ASSUMIN' ESPN SKEDS ARE CORRECT):

ELON................NO BYE.........SEASON ENDS 11/12........BYE ESSENTIALLY AFTER SEASON IS OVERAH........OR B/4 PLAYOFFS.........(AWK!
STONY BROOK...BYE IN WEEK 2...9/10
MONMOUTH......BYE IN NEXT TA LAST WEEK..11/12

MONMOUTH PLAYS THURSDAY 9/1.....HAS 9 DAYS TIL WEEK#2
STONY BROOK PLAYS 9/1 THURSDAY...NEXT GAME 9/17

SO ELON GOES STRAIGHT THRU.........STONY RESTS AFTER IST GAME........MONMOUTH RESTS WEEK B/4 REG SEASON ENDS

.....WOOD IT BE MO' FAIR...........IFFIN' YA COOD REGROUP....IN MIDDLE UH SEASON.........FWIW........AWK!

KPSUL
April 11th, 2022, 08:48 PM

ELON................NO BYE.........SEASON ENDS 11/12........BYE ESSENTIALLY AFTER SEASON IS OVERAH........OR B/4 PLAYOFFS.........(AWK!

SO ELON GOES STRAIGHT THRU.........STONY RESTS AFTER IST GAME........MONMOUTH RESTS WEEK B/4 REG SEASON ENDS

.....WOOD IT BE MO' FAIR...........IFFIN' YA COOD REGROUP....IN MIDDLE UH SEASON.........FWIW........AWK!

I'm thinking 13 teams makes it tough to balance out the bye weeks. Also, teams schedule most their out of conference game before the CAA schedule is produced.

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2022, 09:30 AM
WHAA'S UP....WHIFF DUH SKEDULERS...xconfusedxxdontknowxxconfusedx..NOTICE D....DELAWARE TRAVELS TA RHODE ISLAND.....FOR FOUTH STRAIGHT SEASON......2019/20/21/22.........OWNLAH SO MANY TRINKETS.....YA CAN BUY.....THERE.....BRAWK!

CenMEBlackBearFan
April 26th, 2022, 11:00 AM

Maine with a bye in week 4 after two FBS games and Colgate sandwhiched between them. Couldn't ask for anything better then 1st home league game with Nova on 10/1 after the bye. Fans pretty excited with alot returning and depth but have to make up for the loss of the Millers who were all conference one at WR and the other at Middle LB. Don't think anyone will pick us to do anything which always seems to be a recipe for success for this program. Both RB's had off season foot surgery but should be ready for season opener. New Coach and former UMaine LB is getting great reviews so far.

caribbeanhen
April 30th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Delaware picks up another wide receiver transfer

Chandler Harvin from Sam Houston State

Henny
April 30th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Delaware picks up another wide receiver transfer

Chandler Harvin from Sam Houston State

It's an interesting pick up but a good one. This is the third WR transfer UD has in three months. Hopefully now on to other areas of need!

centraljerseycat
May 1st, 2022, 02:02 PM
Undersized? Roster lists him at 6'3" 215.

He's not that big...but he's very talented

Gangtackle11
May 6th, 2022, 08:26 AM
Smith has a Jets tryout coming up.

Watkins had some G5 offers. Like CJ Cat says better arm not as mobile.

xpeacex

Gangtackle11
May 6th, 2022, 08:31 AM
Nova 2022 Schedule
9/2 - Lehigh
9/10 - @LIU
9/17 - @Army
9/24 - Monmouth
10/1 - @Maine
10/15 - @Richmond
10/22 - Albany
10/29 - Hampton
11/5 - @Towson
11/12 - @W&M
11/19 - Dirty Filthy Birds

xpeacex

Anthony215
May 6th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Nova 2022 Schedule
9/2 - Lehigh
9/10 - @LIU
9/17 - @Army
9/24 - Monmouth
10/1 - @Maine
10/15 - @Richmond
10/22 - Albany
10/29 - Hampton
11/5 - @Towson
11/12 - @W&M

xpeacex

Depending on QB play I can see Nova winning 9-10 games. Does Ricky Ortega stand a chance of winning the job or has Connor Watkins run away as the opening game starter.

caribbeanhen
May 6th, 2022, 04:38 PM
Nova 2022 Schedule
9/2 - Lehigh
9/10 - @LIU
9/17 - @Army
9/24 - Monmouth
10/1 - @Maine
10/15 - @Richmond
10/22 - Albany
10/29 - Hampton
11/5 - @Towson
11/12 - @W&M

xpeacex

9/24 a special day GT?

or are they waiting until Nova heads up towards Asbury Park?

UNHWildcat18
May 6th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Nova 2022 Schedule
9/2 - Lehigh
9/10 - @LIU
9/17 - @Army
9/24 - Monmouth
10/1 - @Maine
10/15 - @Richmond
10/22 - Albany
10/29 - Hampton
11/5 - @Towson
11/12 - @W&M

xpeacex

I’m pretty pissed UNH hasn’t been getting Villanova more. We haven’t played since 2019…

Sitting Bull
May 10th, 2022, 12:55 PM
W&M breaks ground on $67m of major athletic renovations and enhancements. All sports programs will benefit though the cap will be a full update of Kaplan Arena.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/william-and-mary/new-67-million-facilities-initiative-designed-to-amplify-athletics-at-william-mary/article_dffd9a86-d9df-5efc-afd8-6ccc4e4cef07.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_RTDNEWS

TribeNomad1
May 10th, 2022, 01:04 PM
W&M breaks ground on $67m of major athletic renovations and enhancements. All sports programs will benefit though the cap will be a full update of Kaplan Arena.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/william-and-mary/new-67-million-facilities-initiative-designed-to-amplify-athletics-at-william-mary/article_dffd9a86-d9df-5efc-afd8-6ccc4e4cef07.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_RTDNEWS

Gotta love President Rowes comment, "As we say in Williamsburg, it took us a minute to get here". Classic.

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 12th, 2022, 06:36 AM
CAA announces starting times for league games. 2 nite games on Thursday 9/1 and slew of FBS games on 9/3.
Does anyone know how start times are determined, is up to the host team? Maine seems to like early start games, alot of fans would like the 3 or 6pm start games for at least the September games and early October games, what's your favorite start time?

https://caasports.com/news/2022/5/11/game-times-announced-for-2022-caa-football-schedule.aspx

KPSUL
May 12th, 2022, 07:25 AM
Our first 3 games are in the evening, 2 home, 1 at Albany. Our homecoming (OCT 8) is always at 3:30, which accommodates other activities and gives the students an opportunity to get good and drunk before game time. UNH schedules Homecoming earlier in the season than most schools. Later in the season most of our games are at 1:00 pm and the last game @ Maine is scheduled for noon. In the Northeast it makes sense to schedule that way. Maine and New Hampshire in particular are so far North, and East in the time zone that starting later than 1pm in late October, November and December can result in very cold temperatures and darkness in parking and tailgate areas.

caribbeanhen
June 8th, 2022, 07:06 AM
Anyone ready to make a case for which CAA teams have the best chance of winning the conference this Fall? Which team should be considered the sleeper of dark horse going into the season? What do you know about the team(s) you follow closely that the rest of us might not?

Delaware and new head coach Ryan Carty are doing everything they can to fill the void left by JMU.

It’s refreshing they now have a Head Coach who gets ....it’s talent first. They now have top notch facilities in Newark and Hen fans are ready to see some winning football again.

Rip Van Rocco “holistically” bored the fan base to death and thankfully was sent back up to The Poconos to continue his 20 year nap and soon CAA fans will wake up to find a new powerhouse in town... Brawk,,,

KPSUL
June 8th, 2022, 09:33 AM
Delaware and new head coach Ryan Carty are doing everything they can to fill the void left by JMU.

It’s refreshing they now have a Head Coach who gets ....it’s talent first. They now have top notch facilities in Newark and Hen fans are ready to see some winning football again.

Rip Van Rocco “holistically” bored the fan base to death and thankfully was sent back up to The Poconos to continue his 20 year nap and soon CAA fans will wake up to find a new powerhouse in town... Brawk,,,

I'm not sure where Rip Van Rocco is resting, but Rip Van Winkle took his nap in the Catskills, not the Poconos.

caribbeanhen
June 8th, 2022, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure where Rip Van Rocco is resting, but Rip Van Winkle took his nap in the Catskills, not the Poconos.

You are correct and good on you for getting that Rip reference

KPSUL
June 8th, 2022, 10:53 AM
You are correct and good on you for getting that Rip reference

Didn't Danny Rocco take an assistant coaching position at Penn State? Did Delaware have to pay him anything to end his contract?

MR. CHICKEN
June 8th, 2022, 11:12 AM
Didn't Danny Rocco take an assistant coaching position at Penn State? Did Delaware have to pay him anything to end his contract?

.....WIKIPEDIA....HAS ROCCO LISTED....AS AN ANALYST...........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
June 9th, 2022, 09:02 AM

I’m not sure of the details. I think they had to pay him maybe one year of salary but that will be crumbs when compared to the pay off Delaware is going to get without him there

Hens are preparing for Blast off

KPSUL
June 9th, 2022, 09:41 PM
It's going to be very interesting to see how the CAA lines up now that JMU has left for FBS. JMU's 6 year dominance was unprecedented in CAA football. Prior to that about half of the teams in the conference were frequently in the conference championship and FCS playoff picture over a 15 year period.