PDA

View Full Version : Ball Cut in "Tactical Move"

UNH_ORACLE
September 20th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Looks like Ball will be resigned....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070920/SPORTS/709200313/1002

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the link

mebisonII
September 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm so confused by the whole drafting/signing/cutting/roster spots procedure...

Pauly LB
September 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
There is no doubt that the NFL teams are a cold-hearted business. In fact, the two terms go together: cold-hearted and business. The following came from Brian Milne -- the sportwriter for the San Luis Obispo Tribune regarding Kyle Shotwell who was cut from the Oakland Raiders. When you review the situation below it is clear that the Oakland Raiders were less than truthful with Shotwell. While one could surmize that this should be expected from Al Davis' Raiders, I believe that most (if not all) teams are less than forthright with their players.

Footnote: The only good thing that happened from this is that at least I am personally able to continue hating the Raiders since Shotwell is not there...

Wednesday, September 05, 2007
The real reason Shotwell didn't make the cut
I spoke to a couple Raiders beat writers over the last two days and got some more information on the mixup that had two Northern California papers publishing an Oakland practice squad list that mistakenly listed former Cal Poly linebacker Kyle Shotwell as making the squad.
They said the Raiders had Shotwell on their practice squad list when they released it to the local media around 11 a.m. Sunday.
The Raiders did not call Shotwell back to let him know he had not made the practice squad until around 3 p.m. Sunday, so obviously there was a change of heart between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and nobody from the Raiders informed the San Francisco Chronicle and Sacramento Bee of the change.
It's pretty obvious what happened now: The Raiders said Shotwell was not at Sunday's morning practice session because they were still working out the details of adding him to the practice squad.
But the real reason was: the Rams had surprisingly cut LB Jon Alston (a third-round pick in the 2006 draft) on Saturday and the Raiders were waiting until he cleared waivers Sunday to make a decision on their practice squad linebacker. Alston received offers from four teams and decided to go with the Raiders. That's when Oakland went with the former Stanford LB instead of the undrafted Shotwell, meaning the former Cal Poly standout was the last player cut from the Raiders. He was that close to making the team.

wildcat_fan
September 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I must say that I don't get it either. I guess there must be some size limit on the practice squad.

UNHFan99
September 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
you can only have 8 players on the practice squad. I dont think that this is an uncommon practice to cut certain players on a weekly basis to prepare for certain teams.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM
He's back, ......