PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Expansion Close to happening?

Pages : 1 [2]

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM
I don't think that any team should be allowed into the playoffs with less than 7 DI wins regardless of AQ.

Ditto. I've said that before, no matter what the conference. The 8 AQs should have always been contingent upon 7 Div I wins. No way Lafayette should have gotten in last yr at 6-5

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
Could not disagree more strongly. xnonox

Conference champs are conference champs. They earned their play-off spot. There is no other way to look at it. The NCAA divides the country into regions and conferences. They set standards for the teams within that conference & that has nothing to do with W-L record. The reason they do this is to ensure equal representation nationally. If you want more DI wins, require more FCS/I-AA games ...disallow FCS/I-AA teams from playing BCS and sub-FCS/I-AA teams.

If you say that conference champs cannot go to the post-season, teams will begin jumping into different conferences.

It wouldn't be saying conference champs couldn't go to the post season except on what should be a RARE occasion when the conference champ didn't make the minimum requirement. Going 5-1 in conference and 1-4 in a relatively weak OOC schedule I might add (none against I-A I might add) doesn't warrant an AQ. If It happens a couple more times, and the Patriot AQ starts going 6-5, 7-4 every other season, the Patriot Will be in jeopardy of losing their AQ, especially if another conference appreared more deserving and the playoff field hadn't/wasn't expanding.

Tod
September 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
Ditto. I've said that before, no matter what the conference. The 8 AQs should have always been contingent upon 7 Div I wins. No way Lafayette should have gotten in last yr at 6-5

I disagree. One of the things that may draw a student-athlete to a school/conference may be that AQ and the playoffs. You can't just take that away.

There will always be down years for a conference. How do you suddenly change the rules, or are you saying the AQ's should go away all-together?

That a conference could lose its AQ is always a possibility. But the NCAA will think long and hard before doing so.

xtwocentsx

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
But 55, if I was a middle class parent of a kid who had a few Big Sky or Southland Scholly offers, it could be like, pay 40k, or even qualify for some aid package and pay 20k a year to go to USD, or have him go to school x, which might be a half notch or notch below USD, but where he could still get a good education for $0.00 tuition/room/board/books. Its really a no brainer IMHO.

Well I guess that comes down to parenting decision making. My parents let me decide where I wanted to go. I don't think you should ever force your kid to go some where based off of cost. He won't be happy there, and that will eventually lead to dropping out. College choices should not entail bargain shopping.

Tod
September 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
Well I guess that comes down to parenting decision making. My parents let me decide where I wanted to go. I don't think you should ever force your kid to go some where based off of cost. He won't be happy there, and that will eventually lead to dropping out. College choices should not entail bargain shopping.

Easy to say when it's not you paying the bill! xmadx

FCSFAN
September 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
Well I guess that comes down to parenting decision making. My parents let me decide where I wanted to go. I don't think you should ever force your kid to go some where based off of cost. He won't be happy there, and that will eventually lead to dropping out. College choices should not entail bargain shopping.Must be nice to be so rich that money is not an obstacle. xcoffeex

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Must be nice to be so rich that money is not an obstacle. xcoffeex

Actually I fronted the bill myself, thank you very much.

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Easy to say when it's not you paying the bill! xmadx

If it were my child I would find a way. Education is very important. There are enough resources out there to help pay for schooling. You just have to dig a little to find them.

FCSFAN
September 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Actually I fronted the bill myself, thank you very much.That's what I said. Must be nice to be so rich that money is not an obstacle.

eaglesrthe1
September 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Must be nice to be so rich that money is not an obstacle. xcoffeex

Gotta agree. That's so off the wall, it made me laugh.

I'm going to get me one of those 6mil mansions in Palm Springs. I don't think you should ever force yourself to live some where based off of cost.

When I get sick, only the best care in the world will suffice.I don't think you should ever force yourself to chose care based off of cost.

Only the finest restaurants for me from now on. I don't think you should ever force yourself to limit your meals based off of cost.

xlolx xlolx It must be nice.

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
That's what I said. Must be nice to be so rich that money is not an obstacle.

By fronting the bill, I meant taking out my own loans. My parents didn't pay a dime. xmadx

Tod
September 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
If it were my child I would find a way. Education is very important. There are enough resources out there to help pay for schooling. You just have to dig a little to find them.

Dig a little? Good for you. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM

55, maybe if you come from a wealthy family. But $ doesn't grow on trees. You can't say that $ shouldn't be a major factor when deciding colleges for any family that falls under wealthy (which I know people have different definitions of). I wouldn't force him to go to school x or the schools that offered schollys, but I would say choose between the scholly schools and in state public (usually 10-15k), or even out of state public, which usually is is upper teens/low 20s, (plenty of public colleges & universities where you can get GOOD, QUALITY educations) vs privates which are usually in the 30-40k range nowadays.

dawwggboy
September 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
The game is for the players not the money. Inclusion of more teams in the playoff will create more national interest in FCS.
McNeese will not support an expansion, which will devalue the top 16.

Keep it tough to acheive, Keep it of value.

OTHER WISE, IT's JUST ANOTHER BUNCH OF POST SEAON BOWL GAMES.

I"D rather the NCAA get financial support for the existing 16 teams and reqard those.

24 is just too many teams to make it financially rewarding.

Example: Each of the top 16 teams get a $50,000 check plus expenses once they reach the playoffs;

The 8 Quarter finalists get $100,000 each; bring the total to 100K for those that make it to this point;

Semi-Finalists should get another $150,000

Finalists should get another $300,000 each to bring the grand total of possible rewards to $600,000, which is on par with what the bottom tierd bowls get now.

One of the biggest complaints we get from the teams that bolt for the FBS is that the financial rewards (or costs) for the playoffs is not worth their time.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM

I'm going to get me one of those 6mil mansions in Palm Springs. I don't think you should ever force yourself to live some where based off of cost.

When I get sick, only the best care in the world will suffice.I don't think you should ever force yourself to chose care based off of cost.

Only the finest restaurants for me from now on. I don't think you should ever force yourself to limit your meals based off of cost.

I also could not agree more. I wish I would have thought of this living outside my means thing earlier but thanks to the previous post by USD I will no longer be limiting myself to my quasi budget. Look out world, here I come. restraints due to money will no longer be an issue for me. I will be living the life of the unrestrained checkbook from here on out.

FCSFAN
September 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
The game is for the players not the money. Inclusion of more teams in the playoff will create more national interest in FCS.xconfusedx How so?

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
I also could not agree more. I wish I would have thought of this living outside my means thing earlier but thanks to the previous post by USD I will no longer be limiting myself to my quasi budget. Look out world, here I come. restraints due to money will no longer be an issue for me. I will be living the life of the unrestrained checkbook from here on out.

All I am saying is if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. It's called sacrafice. I wasn't about to bargain with my education, and my future. Plain and simple, if an employer comes accross two applicants that have equal qulifications the deciding factor is more times than none going to be where he went to school. I've seen people get hired based off of where they went to school, and how highly regarded that school is academically.

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM

You're comparing apples to oranges. In my eyes a fine education is a necessity..... a fine restaurant or an expensive house is a luxury. Now as far as health care goes, most are limited by their insurance..... but if it were a life and death situation wouldn't money be no object for you?

FCSFAN
September 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM
All I am saying is if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen.Sort of how that handful of teams (had at least 7 D-I wins but were not selected for the playoffs in 2006: San Diego (10-0), Monmouth (10-1), Central Connecticut State (8-3), Duquesne (7-3). Albany (7-4)) that didn't get selected for the playoffs and aren't in AQ conferences want to expand the field so they get it in, right? We'll see how that works out. xsmiley_wix

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Sort of how that handful of teams (had at least 7 D-I wins but were not selected for the playoffs in 2006: San Diego (10-0), Monmouth (10-1), Central Connecticut State (8-3), Duquesne (7-3). Albany (7-4)) that didn't get selected for the playoffs and aren't in AQ conferences want to expand the field so they get it in, right? We'll see how that works out. xsmiley_wix

Exactly.... expand the field. I'm not saying to 24, but if there is an FCS confrence that meets the requirements then they should be allowed an AQ. Wether that confrence is good or not. FCS is FCS plain and simple. This exclusion crap is BS. xmadx
How many FCS (I-AA back then) conferences were there when the AQ conferences were selected?

Cap'n Cat
September 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Regarding doing math, Norton, I believe there were exactly 3 less teams that would meet the criteria in 1986 as there are today. Incredible growth huh (BTW, the member said it was growing as in present tense, not that it grew)? Heck let's expand the playoffs! xsmhx

29 eligible teams in 1986 had at least 7 wins of any kind
32 eligible teams in 2006 had at least 7 wins of any kind

Matter of fact we've always had around 50% of the playoff field make it from that group over the years.

But, Ralph, math said that there are significantly more teams in I-AA than in 1986. That's what some of us're talking about, not # of playoff eligible teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
All I am saying is if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. It's called sacrafice. I wasn't about to bargain with my education, and my future. Plain and simple, if an employer comes accross two applicants that have equal qulifications the deciding factor is more times than none going to be where he went to school. I've seen people get hired based off of where they went to school, and how highly regarded that school is academically.

Well then I'm sure the NEC and the PFL will be upping their scholarships and there level of competition so that they can make their dreams of being legitimate in the FCS for an AQ right?

FCSFAN
September 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM
But, Ralph, math said that there are significantly more teams in I-AA than in 1986. That's what some of us're talking about, not # of playoff eligible teams.Hey Norton and the anonymous "us," the thread title is "Playoff Expansion Close to happening?" BTW you are talking about 21 years ago! If you have something to add to the discussion (like facts) then go right ahead. xrolleyesx If they were going to expand the playoffs they should have done it a decade ago because not much has changed in the recent past.

skinny_uncle
September 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
As more leagues become eligible for autobids, our choices become:
1. Expand the playoff field
2. Reduce the number of at-large bids.
3. Deny autobids to leagues who meet all the requirements.

danefan
September 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
But, Ralph, ......

xcoffeex :p xlolx

blukeys
September 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM

How about

4. Award autobids only to conferences that have demonstrated playoff success.

FCSFAN
September 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM
How about

4. Award autobids only to conferences that have demonstrated playoff success.That's a tough one. What do you measure? Championships? The OVC has two with their members and the MEAC has one. The Southland has zero among its current members. The NEC and the PFL (the only conferences not getting an AQ now) teams have never been selected. Recent wins? Who have the teams played and how does that factor in? MEAC plays SoCon or CAA and OVC plays Gateway etc. so that's rough too. So right now it's hard to judge because only the eight AQ leagues and those not eligible have supplied playoff teams.

BDKJMU
September 22nd, 2007, 12:33 AM

4 would be up the league requirements. You've got a few AQ leagues that have only 7 teams (Gateway & Patriot) although the Gateway will soon be 9 right (aren't NDSU and SDSU going to the Gateway)? I guess 7 is now the minimum, or is it 6 teams?
CAA: 12 teams
OVC: 10
MEAC: 10
Big Sky:9
Socon: 8
Southland 8
Gateway 7 (soon to be 9?)
Patriot: 7

Leagues who want in:
NEC: 7
PFL: 8

Its a lot harder to win the CAA, 1 team of 12 full scholly, vs say the Patriot, one team of 7 non athletic scholly but rather equivalencies.

Could make it say 8 teams and full scholly would grant an automatic AQ.

AppMan
September 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Have not looked at the entire thread, but has anyone considered how an expanded playoff works? Unless you give four seeded teams a first round bye, the only option is to double the field to 32. Who thinks 7 teams outside the top 25 deserve a playoff berth? Either way you are adding another week and playing the championship game 4-5 days before Christmas. Does anyone think university presidents will actually accept a 16 week long schedule?

nmatsen
September 22nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
How many NAIA teams with 24 scholarships are going to defeat top 10, fully funded, Illinois State University, at ISU like Drake did with ZERO scholarships?

That depends Flyer... How many times would the Illinois State Quarterback throw the ball to that NAIA team's defense instead of his own guys. Oh, and how many times would Illinois State's defense give up the biggest blown coverage let down in the history of I-AA football to allow that NAIA team to score in the final minute of the game. If these things would happen I can find you plenty of NAIA teams with 24 scholarships that could have walked into Illinois State that night and beat them.

Before you come back on me hating on the PFL. I am a firm beleiver that if you want in the playoffs make the schedule and WIN. Drake has done that. If Drake hands UNI a loss today (sorry ain't happening, but if) they would be a lock for the playoffs at 10-1 or 9-2. An absolute lock. We don't need to have 24 teams to get PFL's in the post season. They just need to schedule and win. They (PFL) don't need an auto bid either, are there some years where they might deserve one, yes, one out of a hundred. But not every year. If for some reason they do get an auto bid though can you please send the winner of the automatic bid from the PFL to the UNI Dome in the first round?

USDFAN_55
September 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
That depends Flyer... How many times would the Illinois State Quarterback throw the ball to that NAIA team's defense instead of his own guys. Oh, and how many times would Illinois State's defense give up the biggest blown coverage let down in the history of I-AA football to allow that NAIA team to score in the final minute of the game. If these things would happen I can find you plenty of NAIA teams with 24 scholarships that could have walked into Illinois State that night and beat them.

Before you come back on me hating on the PFL. I am a firm beleiver that if you want in the playoffs make the schedule and WIN. Drake has done that. If Drake hands UNI a loss today (sorry ain't happening, but if) they would be a lock for the playoffs at 10-1 or 9-2. An absolute lock. We don't need to have 24 teams to get PFL's in the post season. They just need to schedule and win. They (PFL) don't need an auto bid either, are there some years where they might deserve one, yes, one out of a hundred. But not every year. If for some reason they do get an auto bid though can you please send the winner of the automatic bid from the PFL to the UNI Dome in the first round?

Is it really fair that some conferences play-off hopes depend on how they do in 4 ooc games, while others can tank in their ooc games and still win their conference and go to the play-offs?

brownbear
September 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Is it really fair that some conferences play-off hopes depend on how they do in 4 ooc games, while others can tank in their ooc games and still win their conference and go to the play-offs?

If they win their conference, I don't see any problem. If the 0-4 ooc team is an at-large team, then it's wrong.

BigApp
September 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM

Is life fair?

USDFAN_55
September 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
If they win their conference, I don't see any problem. If the 0-4 ooc team is an at-large team, then it's wrong.

For the PFL or the NEC the play-off hopes come down to the strength of just 4 ooc games, because winning the conference doesn't mean jack. So one off game and your whole play-off chances for the season are basically blown. What's the point o having a conference if that conference's champ doesn't get a chance to represent in the play-offs. In every sport the conference champ is rewarded with post season play. Why is the FCS different? Expand the field to allow all elligible conferences to be represented.

USDFAN_55
September 22nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Is life fair?

Oh please, don't give me that cr@p. What a copout...... Can we come back with something a little more intelligent than "is life fair?"