PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 1995 season

AmsterBison
January 20th, 2022, 09:39 AM
From 1995 to 2000, the FCS seeded all 16 teams in the playoffs.

I was making a list of all the seeds from Wikipedia and 1995 looks off.

1995 NCAA Division I-AA football season - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)

If you scroll down to the bracket, you can see that #1 is not playing #16 in the first round (and almost everything is off from there.) So I'm guessing the seedings are wrong, but I can't find the 1995 bracket anywhere. Does anybody know where to find one?

ST_Lawson
January 20th, 2022, 09:45 AM

1995 NCAA Division I-AA football season - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)

If you scroll down to the bracket, you can see that #1 is not playing #16 in the first round (and almost everything is off from there.) So I'm guessing the seedings are wrong, but I can't find the 1995 bracket anywhere. Does anybody know where to find one?

Here's a clipping from the News Journal (Wilmington, Delaware) from November 20, 1995 that shows the same seedings that are shown on wikipedia (see below). So, I think that's correct. I'm not sure why they did that...maybe some kind of semi-regionalization, but it looks like it's accurate, or if it's incorrect, then it was incorrect in their newspaper back then too.

https://i.imgur.com/XBEWYoc.png

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2022, 09:47 AM
Here's the newspaper clip from 1995.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2022, 09:52 AM
Here's a clipping from the News Journal (Wilmington, Delaware) from November 20, 1995 that shows the same seedings that are shown on wikipedia (see below). So, I think that's correct. I'm not sure why they did that...maybe some kind of semi-regionalization, but it looks like it's accurate, or if it's incorrect, then it was incorrect in their newspaper back then too.

Thanks - you beat me to it. My recollection of that time period (or at least by the late 1990s) is that even though they were "seeding them 1-16" the rankings were frequently fudged somewhat to make more regional matchups in some cases. Ex. maybe Hofstra was "really" a 14 seed, but they might have bumped them up a bit so that they would get a bus trip vs. Delaware than, say, a flight to SFA.

ElCid
January 20th, 2022, 09:57 AM

Pretty sure it was a hybrid, seeding/regionalization.

walliver
January 20th, 2022, 09:58 AM
I know nothing of the 1995 playoffs, but am struck by the teams in the bracket that have moved on to FBS, dropped football, or become somewhat irrelevant.

AmsterBison
January 20th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Thanks!

I'll get the seeding data onto a Google doc or something in case anybody else is interested.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 20th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Pretty sure it was a hybrid, seeding/regionalization.

I think this is correct from what I remember. Even back then it was only a certain number (4?) that had home games. After that it was paritally left up to bids just like now. I remember McNeese traveling to Missoula but being pissed about it due to a slightly higher ranking/seed that year. I would bet if either Montana (Missoulian) or the paper of record for Lake Charles are searched that might help with more of an answer too.

In FCS seeding will not and never will mean jack **** outside of the top 2 or 4 seeds due to cost considerations for the division. Rules will be in place to contain costs in the playoffs and like it or not that will mean true seeding just isn't likely until money is bigger.

You can look back further and see that even when seeding was done it seemed that most of the time, at least as much as now, teams ended up in slots that made for less travel.

bobcathpdevil56
January 20th, 2022, 10:33 AM
This brought back my sad 9 year old self, not understanding why the Griz were soo good and the Bobcats so bad.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2022, 10:49 AM
This brought back my sad 9 year old self, not understanding why the Griz were soo good and the Bobcats so bad.

I was sitting at home wondering how Keith Marsh ran all over Lehigh's defense!

100%GRIZ
January 20th, 2022, 11:29 AM
:)

DFW HOYA
January 20th, 2022, 12:21 PM
1995: Just one private school invited. And it's no longer in the game.

FormerPokeCenter
January 20th, 2022, 12:24 PM
This makes me sad.....I think we qualify as "largely irrelevant" now....

95 was a great season, aside from that last game...

EKU05
January 20th, 2022, 01:27 PM
I know nothing of the 1995 playoffs, but am struck by the teams in the bracket that have moved on to FBS, dropped football, or become somewhat irrelevant.

If anything, I was kind of surprised that the number now in FBS (or officially headed there) is only five if I counted correctly. I would have guess higher than that. I only see one school that dropped as well.

ST_Lawson
January 20th, 2022, 01:41 PM

I was a year out from being a freshman at WIU, so while I missed this particular playoff, a lot of the names were the same from the first few years that I was actually paying any attention to I-AA football (or really, any college football).

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 20th, 2022, 02:29 PM
I was sitting at home wondering how Keith Marsh ran all over Lehigh's defense!

That would be 1994!

In 1995 you (and I) were a week removed from the Klingerman OT catch! Arguably the greatest win over Lafayette ever!! Ironically, Lehigh won the PL in 1995 but was banned to participate in the playoffs due to the PL rules at the time.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 20th, 2022, 02:34 PM
The 13 year old me was definitely paying attention to 1-AA football at the time given my curiosity to with Delaware, Marshall and Youngstown State football at that time. That takes me back to Biakabutuka going for 300+ against undefeated Ohio State, Northwestern going to the Rose Bowl, the final SWC Texas vs Texas A&M game.

I am such a weirdo I can vividly remember that week and some of my actions around Thanksgiving 1995...lol.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2022, 02:41 PM
That would be 1994!

In 1995 you (and I) were a week removed from the Klingerman OT catch! Arguably the greatest win over Lafayette ever!! Ironically, Lehigh won the PL in 1995 but was banned to participate in the playoffs due to the PL rules at the time.

I was so upset I was stewing about it for more than a year!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 20th, 2022, 02:55 PM
I was so upset I was stewing about it for more than a year!

I hear ya! 1994 was a weird year! 5-5-1 with a blowout loss to the 'Pards at Fisher to close things out....

And his name was Erik, not Keith. Looked it up, he ran for 251 yards against Lehigh in 1992 and 215 in 1994. Not sure about 1991 or 1993....

Maybe you're thinking of Keith Elias? I saw him run all over Lehigh in 1993 at Palmer Stadium...

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2022, 03:12 PM
I hear ya! 1994 was a weird year! 5-5-1 with a blowout loss to the 'Pards at Fisher to close things out....

And his name was Erik, not Keith. Looked it up, he ran for 251 yards against Lehigh in 1992 and 215 in 1994. Not sure about 1991 or 1993....

Maybe you're thinking of Keith Elias? I saw him run all over Lehigh in 1993 at Palmer Stadium...

Yeah, Erik Marsh. I always screw up his name. I attribute it to my still being upset about it nearly 30 years later.

katss07
January 20th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Same! Interesting to discover that Montana was once a strong football program.

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2022, 07:19 PM

The good ole News Journal.

Thanks for posting.

Ive heard that the mosquitoes were pretty bad in Delaware’s second round defeat at McNeese St that year.

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2022, 08:14 AM
The good ole News Journal.

Thanks for posting.

Ive heard that the mosquitoes were pretty bad in Delaware’s second round defeat at McNeese St that year.

....AH REMEMBER....AS IT WAS YESTERDEE....PLAYERS COMPLAINED...UH SLIPPERY TURF...AS DUH WHEEZY-ANNAH DEW.....SETTLED....FROM HEAT UH DAY....TA EVENIN' KICK-OFF........O'COURSE...IT WAS 52-18.....BAD GUMBO...&....GAME PLAN.....TOO!.......AWK!

FormerPokeCenter
January 21st, 2022, 01:28 PM
Bad Gumbo? In SW La.? That's a great way to be the guest of honor in the next one, brawk!

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2022, 01:34 PM
Bad Gumbo? In SW La.? That's a great way to be the guest of honor in the next one, brawk!

......xembarrassedx..........BRAWK!

McCowboys
January 21st, 2022, 04:12 PM
....AH REMEMBER....AS IT WAS YESTERDEE....PLAYERS COMPLAINED...UH SLIPPERY TURF...AS DUH WHEEZY-ANNAH DEW.....SETTLED....FROM HEAT UH DAY....TA EVENIN' KICK-OFF........O'COURSE...IT WAS 52-18.....BAD GUMBO...&....GAME PLAN.....TOO!.......AWK!

Hmmmmm. Maybe next time Delaware comes a calling we will have Blue Hen and Mr. Chicken gumbo!

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2022, 07:34 PM