View Full Version : SoCon Off-season thread - 2021-2022

Pages : 1 2 [3]

FUBeAR
August 19th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Is that a TV on a stand or a flat nose with tiny moustache? xsmiley_wix
bellhop brain with “No Vacancy” sign turned on

FUBeAR
August 19th, 2022, 02:29 PM
Sagarin has a different pre-season take on the SoCon…

144 D1 / 22 FCS / 1 SoCon - Chattanooga = 52.86
156 D1 / 30 FCS / 2 SoCon - Furman = 48.88
162 D1 / 34 FCS / 3 SoCon - ETSU = 47.43
163 D1 / 35 FCS /4 SoCon - Mercer = 47.32
166 D1 / 37 FCS / 5 SoCon - Samford = 47.00
184 D1 / 53 FCS / 6 SoCon - Wofford = 42.77
187 D1 / 56 FCS / 7 SoCon - WCU = 41.74
188 D1 / 57 FCS / 8 SoCon - VMI = 41.61
190 D1 / 59 FCS / 9 SoCon - The Citadel = 41.31
Some started discussing Massey vs. Sagarin on the new Sagarin Thread…

May have posted this here before, but this is how Massey ranks the Teams in the preseason & expects (based on current data/algorithm/voodoo) the SoCon to play out in 2022…

Rank Team SoCon Record Overall Record
24 Chattanooga 8-0 10-1
35 ETSU 6-2 8-3
38 Samford 5-3 7-4 (w/h2h win over Mercer)
39 Mercer 5-3 7-4 (w/h2h loss to Samford)
46 Furman 4-4 6-5
54 W Carolina 3-5 4-7 (w/h2h win over VMI)
57 VMI 3-5 5-6 (w(h2h loss to WCU)
66 Wofford 2-6 2-9
67 Citadel 0-8 1-10

The Cats
August 21st, 2022, 08:43 AM
2022 Catamount Football: Fall Scrimmage #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ylBlBwXxc

Reign of Terrier
August 21st, 2022, 10:47 AM
FUBeAR noticed this article about Woffy’s skirmish today…

https://woffordterriers.com/news/2022/8/13/football-holds-competitive-saturday-scrimmage.aspx

…doesn’t mention RB Irvin Mulligan…

…and FUBeAR noticed that the OC didn’t mention Irvin Mulligan in this video from Tuesday…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rlRXlcgziM

…but he does mention RB’s Nate Walker & Ryan Ingram.

What’s the scoop? Mulligan was, by far, Woffy’s best Player last year, but his body language all season was muy no bueno. FUBeAR was surprised to see him not transfer. He’s still on the roster…c’mon Tearyer Fans…prying Chatt fans wanna know….what up here?

Yep…self-quoting again…because the issue FUBeAR raised in his initial post seems to be broader than noted above.

Woffy published a 2022 Football Media Guide. In that guide, these Returning Stat Leaders are called out…

RETURNING STAT LEADERS
Top Scorer - Irvin Mulligan
Top Rusher - Irvin Mulligan
Top Passer - Jimmy Weirick
Top Receiver - Alec Holt
Top Tackler - Micheal Mason
Top Sacks - Micheal Mason

All 4 of these Players remain listed on Woffy’s roster & included in this guide.

This Media Guide also includes a “Preseason Depth Chart” - see below…

WR-X 6 R.J. Khayo (5-9, 170, Sr.)
………..18 Garrett Vernon (6-2, 210, Jr.)
WR-Y 9 Jordan Davis (6-2, 225, So.)
……….85 Will Jordan (6-3, 205, Jr.)
WR-Z 81 Kyle Watkins (6-0, 170, So.)
………..85 Will Daniel (6-2, 195, Fr.-2)

RB 21 Nathan Walker (6-0, 240, Sr.-5)
…….12 Ryan Ingram (5-11, 220, So.)

QB 8 Bryce Corriston (6-1, 205, Jr.) - OR -
……10 Cade Rice (6-3, 215, Fr.-2)
……15 Kyle Pinnix (6-1, 190, So.))

DE 99 Micheal Mason (6-3, 270, Sr.) - OR -
…….55 Cameron Woolery (6-1, 245, Jr.)

So…
Top returning Scorer / Top returning Rusher - Mulligan (Sr.) - not even on 2-Deep
Top returning WR - Holt (5th year Sr) - not even on ‘6 deep’
Top returning QB - Weirick (5th year Sr) - not even on 3 deep
Top returning Tackler / Sacker - Mason (Sr) - listed as an “OR” Starter along with another Player

What’s up?

I think the Terriers have a new OC so maybe he is shaking things up. Or maybe it's a bit of trickery on their part. I can't imagine those guys, if still on the roster and healthy, not starting.

Yeah…could see it if they had a bunch of transfers that went thru Spring and earned slots, but of the 12 ‘Non-Stats Leader’ Players showing on the Depth Chart, in these positions, all, except 1 QB & 1 WR are young men that have been with the program for a while; not transfers. Can see a young man losing a starting job…but going from ‘Leading Returning Player’ to, essentially, ‘Scout Team Player’ would seem odd for 1 Player…but for 3 or 4 Sr.’s and 5th year Sr.’s (especially at Woffy) to tumble that far, losing their spots to their back-ups & their back-ups’ back-ups, is just really, really odd.

So I have 0 inside information here. He's still on the roster, I think. You'll notice that Holt and Parker aren't on the depth chart either.

Wofford is always hush hush about disciplinary issues historically. I'm very sympathetic to it. The cynical take is that it's a quasi-elite school that doesn't like bad headlines (and that's certainly part of it). But the other way to look at it is that these players are not going to be anything resembling famous after they graduate, and given the limited eyes fixated on socon football, the value of disclosing specific information for the good of a couple thousand fans is probably outweighed by the negative value created by a news article associated with their name saying they've have a discipline or academic issue (when many of their non-athletic peers have the same issues and they're not for public consumption). That stuff can follow you in today's information age - and these are still (relatively speaking) kids.

To be clear, I'm not saying that's the reason why they're not on the list: I have no idea, no insider information. I live like 700 miles away and my enthusiasm for Wofford football is at an all time low, so I haven't been thinking to ask around or anything.

I will say that under Conklin, for various reasons, we've had player retention problems, not just because of COVID, but because of academics and players hating Conklin's attitude (At least 3 all conference talents left for this reason, I have been told by a former star player). But what sucks and is worse because we don't have a committed journalist like Todd Shanesy following the team anymore is that we don't get answers or clarity, and given all of the above, when the answer comes out, it's not exactly honest. We lost Weirick last year, and we didn't hear until a month later that it was an injury - and it was an injury!

Anyway, the whole culture of lacking transparency on top of JC not being great throws a lot of shade on all of this.

Reign of Terrier
August 21st, 2022, 10:51 AM
Second, ETSU was not the only SoCon team that "qualified" for the playoffs; they were the only SoCon team invited. I know it may be semantic differences but this kind of hindsight bias implying that ETSU was the only team worthy of the playoffs is infuriating.

That's a very good way of framing it. The conflation of qualifying (in terms of quality) and being invited is pretty substantial on forums like these. The problem with FCS playoffs is that the number of teams that qualify quality-wise is bigger than most conferences, but the same handful of conferences get invited more

Reign of Terrier
August 21st, 2022, 10:53 AM
Nah - you don’t get those 2 transfers (Davis & Rice) or those several “-OR-“ type Starter designations just randomly stuck into a poorly put-together depth chart. This recently came off a board somewhere in the bowels of the Woffy Football Office. Now, if you wanna say, “I don’t think this was supposed to be for public release (yet),” FUBeAR can buy that.

Also - think about the interview with the OC and this depth chart. He mentioned the 2 RB’s listed, in the order they are listed and DID NOT mention Mulligan, who is NOT listed.

Nah…as President Conklin’s Press Secretary, walliver, you’re gonna have to do better than that. FUBeAR has follow-ups.

Wait, we're assuming high quality and coherent output from the program that didn't fire a coach that finished 1-10 (0-8)?

Reign of Terrier
August 21st, 2022, 11:04 AM
Anyway, 13 days before the season, I think Wofford will be "better" than last year, but only in the 3-8 to 5-6 range (and if we finish at that level, Conklin is out IMO).

I just don't think we're a well run program. As I said in a comment above, we're not transparent about many things, and the incompetence is seemingly seeping into our sports marketing deliverables (I'm being a little hyperbolic/dramatic on the latter point but STILL). We have way too many "coordinators" on both sides of the ball, which wreaks politics more than good management. I'm optimistic about the new coaching hires, because they do seem to have good resumes and seem very competent. But in the environment they're in (3 co-offensive coordinators, 2 defensive!) and all the nonsense that happened off the field over the last 2 years or so, I just don't see that as a recipe for an 8-3 or 7-4 finish.

I'll be happy if we do better, but a 4-7 or 5-6 finish may be the best scenario because maybe we get rid of Conklin and promote one of those folks to lead the team on, like, a 3 year contract with a 2 year incentive if we make the playoffs in their first 2 years (or something).

I just have such a pessimistic outlook of this program under Conklin, given all the nonsense he creates. Wofford fans are just so demoralized, I don't think we could take another year of Conklin *even if* we finished like 10-1. I'll watch the team until I'm confident we're eliminated from the playoffs - which is probably longer than most fans.

I hear players are fired up and stuff, which is nice, but let's see how that mentality changes if/when we lose to UTC by a couple touchdowns. Maybe I'm wrong and sandbagging and we'll be very good this year - against all odds! But the weight of history in the socon both recent (Conklin BS) and not (0-8 teams with the same coaches don't turn things around) seems too heavy right now.

FUBeAR
August 25th, 2022, 08:28 AM
I like the gold hemet for VMI… it was their heritage look.

I had hoped Furman would sometime in the near future bring back the original silver diamond F helmet.
But - I don't think we will. Clay seems to like the Purple/White look better.
Plus with the Grey uniform – silver clashes.

I have seen a purple helmet with white diamond F s a prototype.
If that ever comes to reality my guess is it will be used sparingly.
Looks like this is happening…

https://i.postimg.cc/V6qKfNWM/28-D8-D571-785-D-4-C42-B61-E-52-E4-F8564639.png

Purple, <F> on left side, Player’s number on right side, sword-like imagery for middle stripe..

https://twitter.com/paladinfootball/status/1562786883809132544

Milktruck74
August 25th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Purple Helmet!!!! It may be a bit juvenile, but I'm going to laugh every time I hear purple helmet!!!!

PaladinNation
August 25th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Purple Helmet!!!! It may be a bit juvenile, but I'm going to laugh every time I hear purple helmet!!!!

Sorry Dude… but that look is Bad Ass!!!
Recruits and Players are gonna love it!

FUBeAR
August 25th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Sorry Dude… but that look is Bad Ass!!!
Recruits and Players are gonna love it!
Any supporter of a Team that can’t even figure out if their own dang mascot is animal, vegetable, or mineral ain’t got no business poppin’ off at any other Team with any uniform or mascot smack.

https://twitter.com/paladinfootball/status/1562791313745285123

Milktruck74
August 25th, 2022, 12:21 PM
We will see who can "pop off" on 10/22 or 10/29 or whatever other date we play a team you decided to add to your cornucopia of SoCon Teams!!!! And I had to laugh at Purple helmet and popping off all in the same sentence too.

And with all that straddling the fence you do, your purple helmet could be in jeopardy!!!!

The Cats
August 25th, 2022, 07:43 PM
@CatamountsFB (https://twitter.com/CatamountsFB) will be wearing The Cats decal on their helmets in the home opener, Saturday, Sept. 17th against Presbyterian!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fa2Wo56VEAArCz2?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

PaladinNation
August 26th, 2022, 06:34 AM
We will see who can "pop off" on 10/22 or 10/29 or whatever other date we play a team you decided to add to your cornucopia of SoCon Teams!!!! And I had to laugh at Purple helmet and popping off all in the same sentence too.

And with all that straddling the fence you do, your purple helmet could be in jeopardy!!!!

all kidding aside… if the Furman fan base in general had their way - Furman would never touch the white helmet Diamond F combo. Same for the simple white/purple away uniform.

Kudos to CCH - for listening to his assistant coaches (many new ones this season) and the players and putting some funds into this look. By the comments on twitter - the new look has been well-received Furman even picked up its 6th 2023 commitment the same day.

Back to stuff that matters - I've got a feeling this Furman team is going to be a lot to handle. Looking forward to the MOCS coming to TR.

I guess you can say these are unknowns — what will the additions of Justin Roper and Tommy Spangler translate to Furman's on field play? Spangler's history as a DC is stellar at the FCS and FBS levels. Spangler's influence appears large watching practices and a few scrimmages - Furman's DB's have been impressive this camp. Roper is coming into his role at Furman as a hot young offensive mind. He's not been shy to move players into new positions to get more explosive players in position to make plays.

A note from a recent Hendrix interview — Furman has completely moved to new OC Justin Roper's offensive scheme and numerology. I think gone will be the days of stacking the box against Furman, and daring Furman to pass the ball.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2022, 09:18 PM
why not Mercer to Frisco ?

Morehead State looked like Div3 team though

but they are definitely on the watch list

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Good win by Mercer. Obviously, it's Moorehead, so you can't over-react. But still, the margin they won by was very "James Madison circa 2017" or whatever. I don't think Mercer is *that* good. But they played about as well as you'd expect a top 25 team to. I think people need to watch them closely.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2022, 12:18 PM
Good win by Mercer. Obviously, it's Moorehead, so you can't over-react. But still, the margin they won by was very "James Madison circa 2017" or whatever. I don't think Mercer is *that* good. But they played about as well as you'd expect a top 25 team to. I think people need to watch them closely.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2022, 12:23 PM
https://twitter.com/scott_keeler/status/1564255116001255424
FUBeAR 1st desired this young man to be FU’s Starting QB on 3/13/21 when he was wearing blue & white and leading the PFL in passing. Hope he lives up to everything FUBeAR thought he could be. No fault of FUBeAR if not. Now, if Coach Hendrix wants to hire FUBeAR as his QB Coach, then FUBeAR will take some responsibility. Otherwise, just a fan….who will, of course, be taking ALL the credit if he lights it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju7QxX7NNeQ

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2022, 07:40 PM
The Chattanooga Mocs have entered the modern mercenary era of college football and have laid the foundation to soon buy theirselves some better Players…

https://www.supportrepthec.com/

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 29th, 2022, 09:42 PM
I think that some time in each school's history, all the SoCon football schools had a white helmet, except WCU and ETSU.

I thought I saw some ETSU football players model a white football helmet on Twitter earlier this month.

Mocs123
August 30th, 2022, 07:22 AM
The Chattanooga Mocs have entered the modern mercenary era of college football and have laid the foundation to soon buy theirselves some better Players…

https://www.supportrepthec.com/

Personally, I don't care for the way the Transfer Portal and NIL have changed college athletics. ( I'm not sure the intent of either is bad, but to me, neither are being used in the spirit of the intent.) Despite my feelings, I think you have to adapt to change with the environment of today's college athletics.

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Personally, I don't care for the way the Transfer Portal and NIL have changed college athletics. ( I'm not sure the intent of either is bad, but to me, neither are being used in the spirit of the intent.) Despite my feelings, I think you have to adapt to change with the environment of today's college athletics.
Yeah…like FUBeAR said…”buy theirselves some better Players”

SU DOG
August 30th, 2022, 11:54 AM
Kennesaw State will hopefully have a better visit (than last time) this Thursday as far as weather is concerned. They are still complaining about their "mistreatment" at Samford. It was discussed at Coach Bohannon's Presser yesterday. He actually took the high road even though the questioner goaded him. Was it really the delay or those TD passes from Delvin Hodges that downed the Owls? Maybe a few sour grapes IMO. I guess Samford maybe should have had a shuttle service down to the Galleria's Wynfrey Hotel ready for our guests? Seriously, we don't offer the best in visiting locker rooms I know. However, it is the same facility that our team used for many many years. It wasn't Samford's fault that KSU wasn't prepared for this type of situation. To infer that Samford won the game because of inferior facilities and unfair advantages is cry baby stuff. Details here:

Owls learned lessons from first visit to Samford (yahoo.com) (https://news.yahoo.com/owls-learned-lessons-first-visit-223500758.html)

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Kennesaw State will hopefully have a better visit (than last time) this Thursday as far as weather is concerned. They are still complaining about their "mistreatment" at Samford. It was discussed at Coach Bohannon's Presser yesterday. He actually took the high road even though the questioner goaded him. Was it really the delay or those TD passes from Delvin Hodges that downed the Owls? Maybe a few sour grapes IMO. I guess Samford maybe should have had a shuttle service down to the Galleria's Wynfrey Hotel ready for our guests? Seriously, we don't offer the best in visiting locker rooms I know. However, it is the same facility that our team used for many many years. It wasn't Samford's fault that KSU wasn't prepared for this type of situation. To infer that Samford won the game because of inferior facilities and unfair advantages is cry baby stuff. Details here:

Owls learned lessons from first visit to Samford (yahoo.com) (https://news.yahoo.com/owls-learned-lessons-first-visit-223500758.html)

”With the temperature near 90 with near 100% humidity, the Owls were forced into an old cramped gymnasium that was lacking air conditioning. There was no way to watch first-half film, the team had to sit around in wet uniforms, and more than anything, there was nothing for the team to snack on.”

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdBx670bTLHgnXnuOf9AneQJLOrY18d BoRXQ&usqp=CAU

Milktruck74
August 30th, 2022, 12:25 PM
FuBear pre-dates me by a few years, but I'm sure he will back me up (or even say that I am sugar coating it)...I remember when the majority of the visitor locker rooms in the SoCon were this way...I remember one having a sewer back up that flooded the space at halftime..I also remember a few being so far away you didn't try and get there and back in a 15 min half time, so you just met in the endzone just like middle school.

And that rare occasion when you got to go to a nice visitor locker room it was probably at Marshall and you got pelted with airplane bottles and tobacco spit (probably by the players sisters and coaches wives) when you exited at halftime.

SUCK IT UP!!! It is FCS football, if you need leather couches and carpet or a fruit tray, enter the portal and get picked up by an SEC squad!!!

kdinva
August 30th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Personally, I don't care for the way the Transfer Portal and NIL have changed college athletics. ( I'm not sure the intent of either is bad, but to me, neither are being used in the spirit of the intent.)

This:

rosters change like YMCA basketball leagues.

The Cats
September 6th, 2022, 08:43 AM
Catamount Football Weekly

....view it on Facebook, Coach Bell discusses the CSU win, and takes a look at the upcoming GT game...

Watch on Facebook: www.facebook.com/catamountsports (http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=71fe2139a887ad501313cd8cce3053c5&subId=3051070&u=https%3A//www.facebook.com/catamountsports)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb5bWeuWYAAyN22?format=jpg&name=small