PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Quarterfinal: #8 Montana State @ #1 Sam Houston

Pages : [1] 2

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 05:58 PM
Game kicks off at 7:30PM CT on Saturday 12/11 and will be streamable on ESPN+.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51729034938_cde850b20a_z.jpg

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 06:00 PM
I'll take the Cardiac Bearkats in another classic.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Excited to see if the Bobcat defense can contain the Bearkat offense. MSU could have a hard time finding points so their defense will need a monster effort.

CPMPride
December 4th, 2021, 06:08 PM
SHSU probably wins this one but I am going with my gut.

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 06:34 PM
Should be a good game. I think we match up much better with Montana St. 37-23 Kats. I will be there and hope it’s Friday night!

ysubigred
December 4th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Sammy by 17

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

katss07
December 4th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Is Ifanse still banged up? Haven’t watched enough MSU football this year to really get a great read on them now but their offense looked borderline anemic against Weber State and Montana, which bodes well for the Kats as passing defense has been a glaring issue recently. Still expecting a close game as always with this Bearkats team.

I also hope it’s on Friday and I hope the students show out again as they did today! Haven’t seen Bowers that lively since Willie Fritz was at the helm! Last time MSU was in town for the playoffs they brought a big crowd as well. Anyone making the trip?

wapiti
December 4th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Bobcat defense should keep the game close, but the Bobcat passing will keep them short of the W.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Bobcats can run the ball and play defense. Montana State wins this one.

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:40 PM
That’s a recipe for a L. We can play the run. I think we match up much better with a team like Montana St.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2021, 07:42 PM
That’s a recipe for a L. We can play the run. I think we match up much better with a team like Montana St.

Well, we'll see.

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:44 PM
Is the game going to be Friday?

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Is the game going to be Friday?
Guessing it'll be up to the SHSU admin to decide when they want to kick off. Supposedly there's an NCAA media conference call tonight at 9PM CT where they'll let everyone know what the decisions on the national games are. There's a 6PM Friday night slot on ESPN2 and an 11AM Saturday morning spot on ESPN and the other two games kick off at the preferred time for the host school on either Friday night or Saturday.

katss07
December 4th, 2021, 07:52 PM
MSU being run heavy bodes well for us, would much rather them try to grind it out against the second ranked rushing defense in the country loaded with Keeler's FBS transfers than passing on a banged up secondary that ranks in the 80s.

UNHWildcat18
December 4th, 2021, 07:57 PM
MSU has the defense, but I think their offense will struggle. SHSU will take it.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 4th, 2021, 08:00 PM
Really looking forward to this game! I still have memories of MSU's last trip to Huntsville, a spectacular catch but ultimately a tough loss. I think these Bobcats are actually a little better built than Ash's were to advance in a game like this. If Montana State can eek out 30 points their defense is good enough to win....

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 08:02 PM
MSU has the defense, but I think their offense will struggle. SHSU will take it.

This is what I'm thinking too. Bobcats will need some special teams/defense help to get a score or give their offense short fields.

Katfan
December 4th, 2021, 08:13 PM
This is what I'm thinking too. Bobcats will need some special teams/defense help to get a score or give their offense short fields.
Or they can just throw the ball!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2021, 08:20 PM
Or they can just throw the ball!

Maybe they should. UIW just threw for 481 on you guys. But they will run the ball and try to control the clock and play defense.

Bobcat99
December 4th, 2021, 08:22 PM
Would I be correct in stating that Sam Houston hasn’t really played a very challenging schedule thus far?

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2021, 08:25 PM
Would I be correct in stating that Sam Houston hasn’t really played a very challenging schedule thus far?

Probably.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 08:29 PM
Maybe they should. UIW just threw for 481 on you guys. But they will run the ball and try to control the clock and play defense.

Ward lights everyone up, probably his last fcs game today

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 09:02 PM

They played 1 playoff team all season (Stephen F Austin). A game SHSU was fortunate to win. SHSU didn't have their stud QB though.

However SHSU doesn't need to be battle tested after their title run last spring. Heck a bunch of cupcake games are good for the backups and resting starters.

Dewey

mvemjsunpx
December 4th, 2021, 09:02 PM

For the most part. They still have basically the same team that won the title in the spring, though, and they're 17-0 at home in the playoffs.

deez_na
December 4th, 2021, 09:39 PM
Sam doesn’t ever play a tough schedule, you could argue some one loss teams maybe deserved to be seeded above them.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 4th, 2021, 09:48 PM
Still remember watching this live...

https://youtu.be/XkGaxsmlmiE

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 09:50 PM
Still remember watching this live...

https://youtu.be/XkGaxsmlmiE

What year was that?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 4th, 2021, 09:57 PM
What year was that?

Daytripper
December 4th, 2021, 10:20 PM
Bobcat defense should keep the game close, but the Bobcat passing will keep them short of the W.

If you can't pass the ball, you can't beat the Bearkats. The best matchups for us are running teams. The worst are passing teams...UIW. It is in our best interest that UIW, SELA and EWU are all out. Those are our worst matchups.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 11:29 PM
Game will kick off at 7:30PM CT on Saturday 12/11 per Dom Izzo's Twitter. Unusually late kick for SHSU if I'm not mistaken.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Game will kick off at 7:30PM CT on Saturday 12/11 per Dom Izzo's Twitter. Unusually late kick for SHSU if I'm not mistaken.

Yes. We rarely have a game that kicks off later than 6:00 pm. It happens occasionally in the playoffs, such as this time. It is usually a great atmosphere though, as it gives fans a chance to get just a little more drunk at their tailgates.

mvemjsunpx
December 5th, 2021, 08:00 AM
SHSU is undefeated all-time at home in the playoffs, and I don't see that changing here. The Bobcats are just too one-dimensional on offense.

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2021, 08:35 AM
Would I be correct in stating that Sam Houston hasn’t really played a very challenging schedule thus far? Yes you would be correct.

Nickels
December 5th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Same thing we heard from Cat fans before the previous curb-stompings. MSU has never been remotely competitive against us.

MSU wont be able to run. This is a good match up for the Kats.

CopperCat
December 5th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Tommy Mellott is a capable passer, the game yesterday wasn't a good indicator of that due to 35 mph gusts. Sammy matches up well against the MSU offense, but I think it will be a competitive game. MSU D has been tested to a higher level, so I'm expecting a field position battle.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 12:28 PM
Tommy Mellott is a capable passer, the game yesterday wasn't a good indicator of that due to 35 mph gusts. Sammy matches up well against the MSU offense, but I think it will be a competitive game. MSU D has been tested to a higher level, so I'm expecting a field position battle.

I went back and watched some of the replay of your game against UTM. That was the very question I was asking...how much is the wind having a negative impact on the passing games?

AgentL
December 5th, 2021, 12:37 PM

Sounds like the Cats and the remaining playoff field should pack up and declare SHSU the champs. I mean, any of the teams that could of beat them have been eliminated.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Sounds like the Cats and the remaining playoff field should pack up and declare SHSU the champs. I mean, any of the teams that could of beat them have been eliminated.

Quite the reach there. agent. The entire point of these threads is to discuss strengths and weaknesses. If you dispute what is posted, feel free to jump in with a counter argument. Nobody is declaring anything, but based on the teams we have faced this season and last, our run defense is the best part of our team. We are weak against the pass and the best passing teams are out of the playoffs. I don't find that to be over the top. But, you have 7 posts so maybe you haven't gotten a feel for the place yet.

Utgrizfan
December 5th, 2021, 04:08 PM
As mentioned judging MSU's passing attack after one game in severe winds isn't a good indicator at all, I think Mellots true capability passing the ball will be showcased this upcoming Saturday.

Also found this interesting tidbit of SHSU not playing against great Defenses off of Bobcatnation:

"NAU - Defense not in the Top 50 in FCS(42-16)
SEMO - Defense not in the Top 50 in FCS(52-14)
Central Arkansas - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(45-35)
Stephen F Austin - #17 defense in FCS(21-20)
Lamar - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(41-7)
Jacksonville State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(42-7)
Tarleton State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(45-27)
Dixie State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(59-10)
Eastern Kentucky - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(42-28)
Abilene Christian - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(35-9)
Incarnate Word - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(49-42)

One game this year against a Top 50 defense and they score a season low 21 *with backup QB*"

Also if I remember correctly the only running team that they played that has a rushing offense in the top 20 this season is SEMO and the Bobcats are much better team. This is going to be a lot closer than I think people are realizing, could very well come down to turnovers and special teams.

Utgrizfan
December 5th, 2021, 04:12 PM
More data off of Bobcatnation:

Scoring Defense:

-NAU: 30.0 ppg (80th)
-SEMO: 31 (90th)
-CARK: 28.7 (73rd)
-SFA: 19.3 (20th)
-LAM: 39.8 (118th)
-JSU: 28.4 (68th)
-TARL: 21.8 (27th)
-DIX: 39.6 (113th)
-EKU: 25.0 (45th)
-ACU: 25.5 (52nd)
-IW: 25.1 (47th)

Montana State: 13.2 (3rd)

This will easily be the best defense SHSU has faced all season and same in regards to the MSU rushing attack. By no means am I trying to say the Bearcats are a bad team, far from it. Simply looking at the data.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 04:13 PM
As mentioned judging MSU's passing attack after one game in severe winds isn't a good indicator at all, I think Mellots true capability passing the ball will be showcased this upcoming Saturday.

Also found this interesting tidbit of SHSU not playing against great Defenses off of Bobcatnation:

"NAU - Defense not in the Top 50 in FCS(42-16)
SEMO - Defense not in the Top 50 in FCS(52-14)
Central Arkansas - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(45-35)
Stephen F Austin - #17 defense in FCS(21-20)
Lamar - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(41-7)
Jacksonville State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(42-7)
Tarleton State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(45-27)
Dixie State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(59-10)
Eastern Kentucky - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(42-28)
Abilene Christian - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(35-9)
Incarnate Word - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(49-42)

One game this year against a Top 50 defense and they score a season low 21 *with backup QB*"

Also if I remember correctly the only running team that they played that has a rushing offense in the top 20 this season is SEMO and the Bobcats are much better team. This is going to be a lot closer than I think people are realizing, could very well come down to turnovers and special teams.

It seems all of our games come down to this. I think the difference will be big plays. Ifanse or Ezzard could decide the game.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2021, 04:17 PM
It seems all of our games come down to this. I think the difference will be big plays. Ifanse or Ezzard could decide the game.

totally agree

Big talent wins big games and the Wizard of Oz is a talented dude

SeattleCat
December 5th, 2021, 05:37 PM
This game will be the biggest test for our defense this season. I haven't seen SHSU play much, but from the stats they look pretty balanced slightly favoring the run. Our defense is as talented and fast as I've ever seen, there's at least 1 future NFL player with 2 more who will probably at least get a shot. I am hopeful our stout D can hold SHSU to 30 points or less but scoring that will be a huge challenge for our offense since we are basically a run only team. Our new freshman QB will be the wild card, if he finds an inch he's gone, his legs are extremely dangerous. I'm hoping for a beautiful day and Tommy can show us what his arm can do, and maybe, just maybe we can pull off the upset. It's a long shot, but I'll be happy if we keep it at least close and low scoring. Go Cats! Give them everything you got!

Katfan
December 5th, 2021, 07:38 PM
This game will be the biggest test for our defense this season. I haven't seen SHSU play much, but from the stats they look pretty balanced slightly favoring the run. Our defense is as talented and fast as I've ever seen, there's at least 1 future NFL player with 2 more who will probably at least get a shot. I am hopeful our stout D can hold SHSU to 30 points or less but scoring that will be a huge challenge for our offense since we are basically a run only team. Our new freshman QB will be the wild card, if he finds an inch he's gone, his legs are extremely dangerous. I'm hoping for a beautiful day and Tommy can show us what his arm can do, and maybe, just maybe we can pull off the upset. It's a long shot, but I'll be happy if we keep it at least close and low scoring. Go Cats! Give them everything you got!
I don’t think it’s a long shot! Anyone can win at this point. Our team looks worn down from the grind of playing in the spring. If all your offense can do is run we will have a chance if you can throw the ball then you’ll probably move the ball with ease on our defense.

- - - Updated - - -

totally agree

Big talent wins big games and the Wizard of Oz is a talented dude
And he’s back and healthy

katss07
December 5th, 2021, 07:43 PM
I wouldn’t say our defense is balanced at all. We’ve got the best defensive line in the FCS. Four legit all Americans with Kay, Wallace, Mascorro and Leon. We’re well below average in pass defense, and it doesn’t help that Clopton will miss the first half.

Puddin Tane
December 6th, 2021, 01:20 AM
Lot of talk about Sams schedule, not much on Montana State’s.

im no lover of sam houston, but cmon… Mt St didnt exactly play bama every week.

drake? San Diego? Cal polyanna? The idahos? Northern frickin colorado? ( and while i thought Lamar was the worst team in fcs, we did beat Northern Colorado.) They sucked!

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 06:48 AM
Lot of talk about Sams schedule, not much on Montana State’s.

im no lover of sam houston, but cmon… Mt St didnt exactly play bama every week.

drake? San Diego? Cal polyanna? The idahos? Northern frickin colorado? ( and while i thought Lamar was the worst team in fcs, we beat did beat Northern Colorado.) They sucked!
This is a good point. SHSU's schedule is getting beat up for what I'd consider as lingering reputation for some of their old Southland schedules when they'd play one team with a pulse the entire regular season. Their AQ7 schedule, while not great, wasn't that bad. Massey rates their SOS as 62nd in the FCS (which includes the UIW game) and they've had 6 opponents in Massey's top 50. You're right that Montana State's schedule isn't that much better at 44th also with 6 top 50 opponents (doesn't include their FBS game).

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 09:18 AM

Amen, my thoughts exactly.....

TheRevSFA
December 6th, 2021, 09:26 AM

That's not good against Sam. They can stop the run...they are a katrina era levee when it comes to the passing game...

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 09:28 AM
The NCAA teams stats site finally got updated so I put the team stats comparison in the first post.

Also, SHSU opens as a 6.5 point favorite with an O/U of 49.5 on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php).

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 09:39 AM
The NCAA teams stats site finally got updated so I put the team stats comparison in the first post.

Also, SHSU opens as a 6.5 point favorite with an O/U of 49.5 on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php).

Sammy points and the over.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 09:45 AM
Game kicks off at 7:30PM CT on Saturday 12/11 and will be streamable on ESPN+.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51729034938_cde850b20a_z.jpg

Statistically, MSU's defensive stats seem to be much better than Sam Houston's. But two caught my eye which might undermine that narrative. Defensive yards per carry allowed and pass yards allowed per attempt. Based on yards per carried allowed, Sam Houston's rush defense is better. For pass yards allowed per pass attempt, Sam Houston is only .26 yards worse than Montana State. I'm not sure if that means as much as I am reading into it.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Statistically, MSU's defensive stats seem to be much better than Sam Houston's. But two caught my eye which might undermine that narrative. Defensive yards per carry allowed and pass yards allowed per attempt. Based on yards per carried allowed, Sam Houston's rush defense is better. For pass yards allowed per pass attempt, Sam Houston is only .26 yards worse than Montana State. I'm not sure if that means as much as I am reading into it.
The fact that SHSU's defensive pass efficiency is ranked 28th in the FCS vs 115th in pass yards allowed per game pretty much tells you that the only reason they've allowed so many pass yards is because they've played volume passing offenses and/or because teams have had to pass a lot against them due to being way behind in the score.

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 09:56 AM

Take SH and the over
Kats win 38-20

Chalupa Batman
December 6th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Take SH and the over
Kats win 38-20

38 would be very well done by your offense. The most points the Bobcats have allowed this year is 29 in their loss to the Griz and 7 of those were on a blocked FG return. They only gave up 20 to EWU and that was without them even turning the Eagles over once.

I do think you win because they won't be able to find enough offense, I think something like 20-10. They're going to need to find a special teams or defensive TD to win IMO.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 12:55 PM
38 would be very well done by your offense. The most points the Bobcats have allowed this year is 29 in their loss to the Griz and 7 of those were on a blocked FG return. They only gave up 20 to EWU and that was without them even turning the Eagles over once.

I do think you win because they won't be able to find enough offense, I think something like 20-10. They're going to need to find a special teams or defensive TD to win IMO.

This is my worry. Schmid has been known to throw stupid interceptions that can turn into a pick six. And our special teams can run hot and cold.

SeattleCat
December 6th, 2021, 01:51 PM

If SHSU coaches underestimate our defense, then they will be in trouble. I don't think your coaches will, but our D is Legit.

I'm thinking right now the score will be somewhere around 27-21 with SHSU coming out on top.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 01:56 PM
If SHSU coaches underestimate our defense, then they will be in trouble. I don't think your coaches will, but our D is Legit.

I'm thinking right now the score will be somewhere around 27-21 with SHSU coming out on top.

Yeah, after that defensive display against UIW, I don't think they will be underestimating anybody...

SeattleCat
December 6th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Yeah, after that defensive display against UIW, I don't think they will be underestimating anybody...
The biggest problem I'm seeing right now is our FR QB needs to show he can throw, if he can't we're in trouble.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 02:04 PM
So in Huntsville in the quarterfinals SHSU will be facing team led by a true freshman QB that was just tabbed as the starter at the beginning of the playoffs... I think I've seen this movie before...

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 02:06 PM

No doubt, we have been suspect against the pass all year, we just ran into a buzzsaw with Cam and crew, as talented a QB/Receiver group in the country.

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 02:10 PM
So in Huntsville in the quarterfinals SHSU will be facing team led by a true freshman QB that was just tabbed as the starter at the beginning of the playoffs... I think I've seen this movie before...

Was there for the first chapter of this book. Great game for SH fans, the visitors were one dimensional due to lack of QB play. I think if Montana St comes in wanting to run the ball 85-90% of the game they are going to get beaten by double digits.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 02:11 PM
Was there for the first chapter of this book. Great game for SH fans, the visitors were one dimensional due to lack of QB play. I think if Montana St comes in wanting to run the ball 85-90% of the game they are going to get beaten by double digits.
They'll need those two special teams TDs... ;)

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 02:33 PM
They'll need those two special teams TDs... ;)

Haha no doubt, that was depressing to watch those two returns. All I could say in my head was, "here we go again...."

catbob
December 6th, 2021, 02:33 PM
This game is going to hinge on Mellott's passing ability. I don't necessarily think he needs to throw for 300 yards but 175 and I'm really liking the Cats chances. 150 might get it done.

It is an interesting matchup. Statistically SHSU should shut down what the Cats do best. But MSU is much closer to SDSU running the ball than anyone else SHSU has faced this year, because Isaiah Ifanse is in the same conversation as Isaiah Davis and Pierre Strong Jr. SDSU ran for 239 on 6.8 YPC in the spring title game. I know that was a neutral site game and technically from last season, but it's about the best comp I can find for this game. SDSU managed that with their backup QB who was pretty awful throwing the ball. Mellott might not do much better than SDSU's QB who was 11/22 for 107 and an INT but I guarantee he'll do better than his 2 rushes for 1 yard. Mellott is a legit home run threat but he is also a pretty built kid at 6' 195, he's got the body of a safety. Ifanse isn't necessarily a home run threat but he can take it the distance but what he does is punish teams and grind out yards 5 yards at a time.

My mood will change as the week goes on, always does but right now I'm probably taking SHSU in this one but I think it's going to be a slugfest.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 04:42 PM
This game is going to hinge on Mellott's passing ability. I don't necessarily think he needs to throw for 300 yards but 175 and I'm really liking the Cats chances. 150 might get it done.

It is an interesting matchup. Statistically SHSU should shut down what the Cats do best. But MSU is much closer to SDSU running the ball than anyone else SHSU has faced this year, because Isaiah Ifanse is in the same conversation as Isaiah Davis and Pierre Strong Jr. SDSU ran for 239 on 6.8 YPC in the spring title game. I know that was a neutral site game and technically from last season, but it's about the best comp I can find for this game. SDSU managed that with their backup QB who was pretty awful throwing the ball. Mellott might not do much better than SDSU's QB who was 11/22 for 107 and an INT but I guarantee he'll do better than his 2 rushes for 1 yard. Mellott is a legit home run threat but he is also a pretty built kid at 6' 195, he's got the body of a safety. Ifanse isn't necessarily a home run threat but he can take it the distance but what he does is punish teams and grind out yards 5 yards at a time.

My mood will change as the week goes on, always does but right now I'm probably taking SHSU in this one but I think it's going to be a slugfest.

True, but that was also on a rain-soaked field which usually benefits the person who knows which way he is cutting.

Katfan
December 6th, 2021, 05:10 PM
True, but that was also on a rain-soaked field which usually benefits the person who knows which way he is cutting.
Actually the run D was good in that game except for the long td run late that gave SDSU the lead!

Chalupa Batman
December 6th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Actually the run D was good in that game except for the long td run late that gave SDSU the lead!

Minus that run SDSU had 154 yards on 34 carries, still 4.5 yards a clip.

Nickels
December 6th, 2021, 07:30 PM
35-14 Kats

SeattleCat
December 6th, 2021, 07:46 PM
https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats_FB/status/1467273946043019265

Hoping to see a lot of this on Saturday.

putter
December 6th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Tommy can throw the ball. I am remembering his high school games but he has an arm.. Will he be up for college speed, maybe.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 08:05 PM
https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats_FB/status/1467273946043019265

Hoping to see a lot of this on Saturday.

Dude has some wheels!

Catbooster
December 7th, 2021, 12:04 AM

I think that's a reasonable assessment. I haven't seen enough of SHSU to make an argument that we should be favored over the reigning national champions. I have a lot of faith in our defense, our special teams are decent and our offense has been enough to get to 10 wins so far, but mainly because the defense keeps the scores low.

But we really don't know what we have for an offense right now. Tommy is fast and runs the ball well but with the only game he started being one of the windiest games I've ever been to, I still don't know how our passing game will be. His passing game was good in high school but as we all know that doesn't necessarily translate to the DI level. Did the coaches put new wrinkles in the playbook with a different QB? Is the film SHSU is studying worth anything to prepare for the offense they'll see? Probably, but I hope not.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude has some wheels!
Northern Speed. xcoffeex

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2021, 08:47 AM
.....LAST AH'VE HEARD.....SKOOLS MUST SWAP....... 3 GAME FILMS.......ANY 3....O'....LAST 3......xdontknowx......BRAWK!

MSUBobcat
December 7th, 2021, 10:28 AM
I think that's a reasonable assessment. I haven't seen enough of SHSU to make an argument that we should be favored over the reigning national champions. I have a lot of faith in our defense, our special teams are decent and our offense has been enough to get to 10 wins so far, but mainly because the defense keeps the scores low.

But we really don't know what we have for an offense right now. Tommy is fast and runs the ball well but with the only game he started being one of the windiest games I've ever been to, I still don't know how our passing game will be. His passing game was good in high school but as we all know that doesn't necessarily translate to the DI level. Did the coaches put new wrinkles in the playbook with a different QB? Is the film SHSU is studying worth anything to prepare for the offense they'll see? Probably, but I hope not.

That is the question. His senior year, he went 191 of 300 (63.7%) for 2940 yards (245 ypg) and 30 TD to just 4 INT. He also ran for 1,217 yards on 162 carries (7.5 ypc and 101.4 ypg) and added 16 more touchdowns, which he HAS been able to transfer to the FCS level. Watching him play catch on the sideline Saturday, his 15-20 yard passes had a tight spiral (not the wounded ducks that McKay threw), but the wind of the day was not conducive to getting an accurate feel of how he'd do in a game situation.

I also don't know that Tommy starting the UTM game was even indicative of who will start this weekend. With that wind, even if Rovig is deemed the better passer, since it was unlikely that he was going to light it up through the air (Dresser threw for 272 vs the Bears and only 98 vs the Bobcats), it may have made sense for that particular game to have a much better runner in a wildcat-type of offense. Rovig throwing for 100-120 yards and rushing for barely anything isn't as good as Mellott throwing for 51 and rushing for 181. Having a true QB was almost a liability in that game, since you are then essentially down a man. If conditions are more favorable to passing, I think it's possible that Rovig gets the QB start (if he is indeed rated the better passer than Mellott) and Mellott would get spot action (though still possibly with passing play calls).

One advantage we may have is that no one knows what our offense will look like at this point. Not really any film on Rovig since December 2019 - has he made any significant strides in 2 years? One would hope so. Not really any film on Mellott as a throwing QB against D-I competition where the wind wasn't at tropical storm wind speeds. If neither can throw the ball, it'll be a LONG day for the offense and D/ST will be leaned on heavily and possibly required to come up with points of their own.

SHSU in a 20-13 or 23-14 type game seems likely. But I'm holding out hope that Rovig and/or Mellott is at least serviceable through the air to open up the running game a bit. Honestly, I think 150-175 passing yards may be enough to pull a W if it allows MSU to run for another 150-175 (still feel like 200 yards rushing is our floor, but Sam has good run D stats).

POD Knows
December 7th, 2021, 10:36 AM
That is the question. His senior year, he went 191 of 300 (63.7%) for 2940 yards (245 ypg) and 30 TD to just 4 INT. He also ran for 1,217 yards on 162 carries (7.5 ypc and 101.4 ypg) and added 16 more touchdowns, which he HAS been able to transfer to the FCS level. Watching him play catch on the sideline Saturday, his 15-20 yard passes had a tight spiral (not the wounded ducks that McKay threw), but the wind of the day was not conducive to getting an accurate feel of how he'd do in a game situation.

I also don't know that Tommy starting the UTM game was even indicative of who will start this weekend. With that wind, even if Rovig is deemed the better passer, since it was unlikely that he was going to light it up through the air (Dresser threw for 272 vs the Bears and only 98 vs the Bobcats), it may have made sense for that particular game to have a much better runner in a wildcat-type of offense. Rovig throwing for 100-120 yards and rushing for barely anything isn't as good as Mellott throwing for 51 and rushing for 181. Having a true QB was almost a liability in that game, since you are then essentially down a man. If conditions are more favorable to passing, I think it's possible that Rovig gets the QB start (if he is indeed rated the better passer than Mellott) and Mellott would get spot action (though still possibly with passing play calls).

One advantage we may have is that no one knows what our offense will look like at this point. Not really any film on Rovig since December 2019 - has he made any significant strides in 2 years? One would hope so. Not really any film on Mellott as a throwing QB against D-I competition where the wind wasn't at tropical storm wind speeds. If neither can throw the ball, it'll be a LONG day for the offense and D/ST will be leaned on heavily and possibly required to come up with points of their own.

SHSU in a 20-13 or 23-14 type game seems likely. But I'm holding out hope that Rovig and/or Mellott is at least serviceable through the air to open up the running game a bit. Honestly, I think 150-175 passing yards may be enough to pull a W if it allows MSU to run for another 150-175 (still feel like 200 yards rushing is our floor, but Sam has good run D stats).
SHSU has been dodging bullets for a while now. At some point, that kind of luck runs out. Don’t know if it will happen this weekend but it will happen at some point in time.

SeattleCat
December 7th, 2021, 11:01 AM

Tommy is starting.

MSUBobcat
December 7th, 2021, 12:31 PM
Tommy is starting.

My bad, I hadn't heard that. It's been a bit of a blur the last few days, having to leave straight from the game to come back to Billings put my only-5-year-old German Shepherd to sleep. If he's better than Rovig, or at least no measurable drop off, and if he's going to be the QB of the future, might as well throw him in and give him trial by fire. I think Tommy may surprise with his arm.

SeattleCat
December 7th, 2021, 12:45 PM
My bad, I hadn't heard that. It's been a bit of a blur the last few days, having to leave straight from the game to come back to Billings put my only-5-year-old German Shepherd to sleep. If he's better than Rovig, or at least no measurable drop off, and if he's going to be the QB of the future, might as well throw him in and give him trial by fire. I think Tommy may surprise with his arm.

Sorry to hear about your German Shepard, great dogs, my condolences. I think I was surprised as anyone when Mckay quit, I would have guessed Rovig would be the starter until the news broke that Tommy would start. Tommy just has that it factor like Troy, and I'm going to be sad to see Troy gone, but man we get to watch another one. With those guns he's got it looks like he could throw 100 yards, but he did show last week he can definitely throw a football hard AF. I'm excited to see what he can do in good weather.

If you have seen the press conference after the UTM game you should check them out. I think I was most impressed when Tommy was asked about the fumble and he took complete responsibility saying, he's a young QB and he needs to learn to take what the defense give him.

MSUBobcat
December 7th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your German Shepard, great dogs, my condolences. I think I was surprised as anyone when Mckay quit, I would have guessed Rovig would be the starter until the news broke that Tommy would start. Tommy just has that it factor like Troy, and I'm going to be sad to see Troy gone, but man we get to watch another one. With those guns he's got it looks like he could throw 100 yards, but he did show last week he can definitely throw a football hard AF. I'm excited to see what he can do in good weather.

If you have seen the press conference after the UTM game you should check them out. I think I was most impressed when Tommy was asked about the fumble and he took complete responsibility saying, he's a young QB and he needs to learn to take what the defense give him.

Appreciate the condolences. She was a bit gimpy Friday, woke us at 4am Saturday unable to move her back paws so we took her to the vet. 10 minutes later the prognosis was really bad, but we had them try some stuff (fluids to bring fever down, pain meds/muscle relaxers) and hoped for improvement. Literally walked into Specs and got the call that euthanasia was her best option. Not a fun game even with the win, but kept our mind off it partially. Knowing we were driving straight to the vet (after picking up our old man German Shepherd that turns 13 in 11 days) to put her down made that a pretty terrible 2 hour drive. Healthy (at least in appearance) to being told it was over in the course of barely 48 hours.

I did just watch Vigen's half hour presser, but I didn't watch any player interviews. I'll go back and check them out also. I agree about Troy leaving, but hopefully we can watch him on an NFL squad next year! Also excited to see what Tommy can do in the next 3 years. I think it being Rovig's last games factored in to giving Mellott the start. Neither has played much QB all year, so if they're comparable, might as well give some excellent game experience to the guy with 3 more years rather than the guy leaving at the end of the year.

Catbooster
December 7th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Tommy is starting.
But that doesn't mean that he will be the only QB we play. The coaches could plan on Tucker playing some but not list him as the starter (I don't think either one of them is too concerned who gets credit for being the starter). The coaches could just want to create a little confusion when they put Rovig out there. That being said, Tommy started last week and had a good game. I expected him to start and think he will get the majority (if not all) of the play time. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Rovig gets a fair amount of play time. It just depends on how they're doing and what SHSU is doing.

Although I have no doubt our offense will still be run-heavy, I don't know what the play-calling will be like. I think this shows how little any of us really know what our offense is right now.

Catbooster
December 7th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Appreciate the condolences. She was a bit gimpy Friday, woke us at 4am Saturday unable to move her back paws so we took her to the vet. 10 minutes later the prognosis was really bad, but we had them try some stuff (fluids to bring fever down, pain meds/muscle relaxers) and hoped for improvement. Literally walked into Specs and got the call that euthanasia was her best option. Not a fun game even with the win, but kept our mind off it partially. Knowing we were driving straight to the vet (after picking up our old man German Shepherd that turns 13 in 11 days) to put her down made that a pretty terrible 2 hour drive. Healthy (at least in appearance) to being told it was over in the course of barely 48 hours.
That's rough. Sorry for your family.

MSUBobcat
December 7th, 2021, 02:09 PM
But that doesn't mean that he will be the only QB we play. The coaches could plan on Tucker playing some but not list him as the starter (I don't think either one of them is too concerned who gets credit for being the starter). The coaches could just want to create a little confusion when they put Rovig out there. That being said, Tommy started last week and had a good game. I expected him to start and think he will get the majority (if not all) of the play time. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Rovig gets a fair amount of play time. It just depends on how they're doing and what SHSU is doing.

Although I have no doubt our offense will still be run-heavy, I don't know what the play-calling will be like. I think this shows how little any of us really know what our offense is right now.

That is a great point and an advantage for us IMO. Right now, pretty much everyone who follows FCS thinks we basically have no QB to throw the ball. But in reality, one (or both) could be more than adequate doing so if needed, but neither has been called on to do it since fall 2019. A possession or two of run-heavy offense and then take a shot downfield with McCutcheon to catch them with their pants down. If SHSU is bad against the pass when they're expecting it, you may only need to get it near a guy for him to walk in when they are caught completely off guard.

(appreciate the condolences also, thank you)

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 02:24 PM
That is a great point and an advantage for us IMO. Right now, pretty much everyone who follows FCS thinks we basically have no QB to throw the ball. But in reality, one (or both) could be more than adequate doing so if needed, but neither has been called on to do it since fall 2019. A possession or two of run-heavy offense and then take a shot downfield with McCutcheon to catch them with their pants down. If SHSU is bad against the pass when they're expecting it, you may only need to get it near a guy for him to walk in when they are caught completely off guard.

(appreciate the condolences also, thank you)

There is no "if" about it. If an opposing QB gets comfortable in the pocket, we are toast. In the spring our d-line was so incredibly good that it disguised some bad DB play. I think the 22 games in a calendar year has worn down our big guys up front. They are just not getting into the backfield like they did in the spring.

SeattleCat
December 7th, 2021, 02:36 PM
There is no "if" about it. If an opposing QB gets comfortable in the pocket, we are toast. In the spring our d-line was so incredibly good that it disguised some bad DB play. I think the 22 games in a calendar year has worn down our big guys up front. They are just not getting into the backfield like they did in the spring.

Where I see a problem is I don't think any of our QB's getting comfortable in pocket. Our O-lines pass protect has been, well not that great. We are missing one of our best lineman, who left after our last coach left, now starts at a SEC school... so you know that hurts. Why I see Tommy staying in all game, is being able to break the pocket and buy time with his legs. He threw some decent balls on the run, but they do need to get better. Rovig is a capable passing and the kid is a statue in that pocket, he will deliver a ball even though a big hit is coming, he's got a ton of heart, but he's not going to be quick enough to get out of the pocket if and when it collapses. The griz beat us with the Blitz, UTM stymied our offense bringing pressure almost every down. SHSU will unleash the hounds on us, I expect to see no less than 8 men in the box all night with constant pressure.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Where I see a problem is I don't think any of our QB's getting comfortable in pocket. Our O-lines pass protect has been, well not that great. We are missing one of our best lineman, who left after our last coach left, now starts at a SEC school... so you know that hurts. Why I see Tommy staying in all game, is being able to break the pocket and buy time with his legs. He threw some decent balls on the run, but they do need to get better. Rovig is a capable passing and the kid is a statue in that pocket, he will deliver a ball even though a big hit is coming, he's got a ton of heart, but he's not going to be quick enough to get out of the pocket if and when it collapses. The griz beat us with the Blitz, UTM stymied our offense bringing pressure almost every down. SHSU will unleash the hounds on us, I expect to see no less than 8 men in the box all night with constant pressure.

This is what we do. Man coverage and 7-8 in the box. Stuff the run and dare you to pass. UIW took the dare and rolled with it. It is a challenge but you can beat us if you can do it.

Mfergy4
December 8th, 2021, 04:22 PM
As mention by POD Knows, this sounds like a remake of an old movie with Montana St having a Rookie starting only his second game. SHSU must licking their chops on this one and it sounds like it by some. I am looking forward to watching this one, I think it will be a fairly close game with turn-over being the key. Good Luck to both Teams!!

Daytripper
December 9th, 2021, 04:55 PM
I'm pulling this from the FCS Insider Weekly Notes that Ursus posted.

Game notes:

Sam Houston - https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobearkats.com/documents/2021/12/9/SHSU_FB_Notes_2021_Game12.pdf

Montana State - https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobearkats.com/documents/2021/12/9/FB_Notes_21_13_Sam_Houston.pdf

BNATION
December 10th, 2021, 08:40 AM

Game notes:

Sam Houston - https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobearkats.com/documents/2021/12/9/SHSU_FB_Notes_2021_Game12.pdf

Montana State - https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobearkats.com/documents/2021/12/9/FB_Notes_21_13_Sam_Houston.pdf
Thanks, these are great!

Katfan
December 10th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Game notes:

FYI game notes for each team are posted on the SHSU website

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Win or lose, Ryan Carty will be in Newark Monday morning for his press conference

He, like his sea Daddy KC did 18 years ago, will say National Championship multiple times 😊

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 10:21 AM
Win or lose, Ryan Carty will be in Newark Monday morning for his press conference

He, like his sea Daddy KC did 18 years ago, will say National Championship multiple times 

I'm really happy for Carty. Just hope he can stay focused on the game in front of him. I think it is good that the announcement is out of the way. No more rumors.

BNATION
December 10th, 2021, 04:36 PM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:https://www.anygivensaturday.com/03411598-2e20-4384-a47c-2deec6cf68e0

wapiti
December 10th, 2021, 04:40 PM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:https://www.anygivensaturday.com/03411598-2e20-4384-a47c-2deec6cf68e0

Nice!!

Bison56
December 10th, 2021, 08:32 PM

I disagree.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 08:34 PM
I disagree.
FUBeAR feels ambivalent on the matter

BNATION
December 11th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Picture didn’t go through. However, today is game day! All the talk will be settled by our two great teams. Hoping for health to all the players and all the fans traveling do it safely. 31-20 Kats

Daytripper
December 11th, 2021, 03:22 PM
Getting ready to head to Huntsville. Looking forward to some perfect football weather. Expected to be in the mid to high 40s, 0% chance of rain, and winds of 11 mph.

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Can we start this game now, I am sick of waiting.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 05:22 PM
Navy wins! Heading to the gym then going to settle in and watch this one! As a former resident of the Gallatin Valley i'll be pulling for the Bobcats....

BNATION
December 11th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Let the bloodbath begin

mmiller_34
December 11th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Why is this game so late. Omg.

Puddin Tane
December 11th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Getting ready to head to Huntsville. Looking forward to some perfect football weather. Expected to be in the mid to high 40s, 0% chance of rain, and winds of 11 mph.

nobody goes to our games if temp is below 60. Hope yall fare better

Puddin Tane
December 11th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Why is this game so late. Omg.

time zone change mind games?

Grizalltheway
December 11th, 2021, 06:51 PM
time zone change mind games?

Pretty sure NCAA/ESPN set the times.

mmiller_34
December 11th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Still 25 minutes until kick off. It feels like an eternity since the SDSU/Nova game ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catbooster
December 11th, 2021, 07:34 PM
Go Cats!

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 07:37 PM
Can they only afford to turn on half the lights?

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2021, 07:39 PM
Nice drive Cats!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Great start for the Bobcats!!

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2021, 07:41 PM
7-0! Bobcats! Here we go Defense!

BNATION
December 11th, 2021, 07:44 PM
Our defense is here…..

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2021, 07:45 PM
INT

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Bobcats with the pick! Terrible throw! He threw it right to the defender....

And the Bobcats score right away!!

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Someone tell Sammy there is a game.

MSUBobcat
December 11th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Uh oh.... Mellott can throw.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Great start for Montana State! Damn!!

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Beautiful pass.

Christiank22
December 11th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Where are all the cocky Sam fans at?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Awesome start when you are on the road!

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 07:49 PM
WTF.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 07:51 PM
SHSU with a long pass into Bobcat territory....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 07:53 PM
The Bobcat DL is flying off the ball. My goodness...

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2021, 07:55 PM
Bobcats look like the best team in FCS right now.

mmiller_34
December 11th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Bobcats look like the best team in FCS right now.

100 percent this.

They will paddle whip the Jacks next week

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 07:57 PM
55 for SHSU nearly did a big no no. pushed a bobcat OL then slapped a refs arm away....

Christiank22
December 11th, 2021, 07:58 PM
Idk why anyone is surprised. Sammy have been frauds all year

deez_na
December 11th, 2021, 08:00 PM
I personally feel Sam is overrated but it’s early.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 08:04 PM
The Bobcats slam the door on 4th down!

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:10 PM
Bobcats could run away with this one.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
This is shocking! I know it's only 15 minutes but the Bobcats are about 3 yards away from making this 21-0. They've completely dominated the LOS....

SeattleCat
Mellott is soooo much better than McKay its not even funny

peavy
'Mullet' count on this drive: 5

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Mellott is soooo much better than McKay its not even funny

He looks real good.

HootyHoo
December 11th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Wow Hooty is shocked. Bobcats look unstoppable. I think we can all agree at this point that the Spring season was a complete fluke.

Christiank22
December 11th, 2021, 08:12 PM
Still looking for those over confident Sam Houston fans. Been quiet for awhile.

dewey
Wow Hooty is shocked. Bobcats look unstoppable. I think we can all agree at this point that the Spring season was a complete fluke.

I think there is a lot of game left and never count out a defending champion.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
Nobody: ...

ESPN: Montana St head coach Brent Vigen
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1451191525791059975/mgiRgP32_400x400.jpg

I don't know who they keep showing on the Bobcat coaching staff when they're talking about Vigen but it's not Vigen. Also... isn't their QB's name pronounced like mel-ought and not mullet like the color commentary guy keeps saying?

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2021, 08:14 PM
Touchdown Tommy Bitches! Hope you're all ready!

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2021, 08:15 PM
Mellott is a return TD away from the football version of the cycle since he's now thrown a TD, caught a TD, and ran for a TD.

Don't get too comfortable though Babcats... this isn't your older brother's Sam Houston team that'll flame out spectacularly. Teams with 21 game win streaks don't just lie down without a fight.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2021, 08:15 PM
Wow this one might be over already. Not surprised seeing this is the first real team they've played all season......xcoffeex

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Mellott is a return TD away from the football version of the cycle since he's now thrown a TD, caught a TD, and ran for a TD.

Kid is money

TennBison
December 11th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Holy cow, just wow.

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:17 PM
Tale a shot every time you hear penetration.

HootyHoo
December 11th, 2021, 08:19 PM
If this is a fumble. It’s over.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 08:19 PM
Even if that's not a fumble the SHSU OL is getting destroyed.....

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 08:20 PM
I think this is an incomplete pass. Same thing happened in the MT vs JMU game.

Good call by the referees.

Dewey

TennBison
December 11th, 2021, 08:20 PM
Pulling it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:21 PM
Someone tell this color commentator to take a breath.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
LOL at the SHSU OL...my goodness....

MTfan4life
100% a fumble. That's a bananas one to overturn. With the sack, it doesn't matter, but wow.

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2021, 08:22 PM
This is the best game ever!

Bison56
Unleash the southern speed!

dewey
It was an easy call. The arm is going forward and the ball comes out. Incomplete pass.

Dewey

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 08:23 PM
The Montana State defensive line is dominating the SHSU offensive line.

Wow! Getting to Schmid with only 4 rushers.

Dewey

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Is Sammy going back to there usual playoff exit?

MTfan4life
December 11th, 2021, 08:24 PM
It was an easy call. The arm is going forward and the ball comes out. Incomplete pass.

Dewey

The ball doesn't come out naturally, though. The way his thumb collapses on his hand, you can assume he was trying to regrip that ball, not release it.

NDSUtk
December 11th, 2021, 08:25 PM
Why is this game so late. Omg.Wait until Friday's semi-final. Kickoff at 8:15 Central....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Libertine

Dewey

This. Not going to matter though. That OL is offensive in every sense.

Roamingriz
Nobody: ...

ESPN: Montana St head coach Brent Vigen
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1451191525791059975/mgiRgP32_400x400.jpg

I don't know who they keep showing on the Bobcat coaching staff when they're talking about Vigen but it's not Vigen. Also... isn't their QB's name pronounced like mel-ought and not mullet like the color commentary guy keeps saying?

Rod Farva!

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:27 PM
Here we go with the targeting guessing game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 08:27 PM
No way is that targeting. They both lowered their heads.....

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 08:28 PM
The color announcer for this game is a ****ing idiot.

deez_na
December 11th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Montana just owning this game

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 08:29 PM
No way is that targeting. They both lowered their heads.....

Agreed. I have combined before but the targeting rule is a mess thr NCAA needs to revise in the off-season.

Dewey

Bison56
The color announcer for this game is a ****ing idiot.

He needs to level out.

POD Knows
That is text book targeting. So it won’t be.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
That's BS! #33 made a helluva play! that's awful...

dewey
Montana just owning this game

That is Montana State.....not Montana.

But yes, MSU is dominating.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Amazing how many commentators have no idea the nuances of the targeting rule. All that matters when a defender hits a runner (aka not a defenseless player) is if the defender leads with the crown of the helmet. It doesn't matter where they hit the runner (helmet or otherwise). If they lead with the crown it's targeting.

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 08:30 PM
That's BS! #33 made a helluva play! that's awful...

Agreed. QB lowered his helmet. Bad call.

So targeting is called but not a 15 yard personal fault? Or did I miss it?

Dewey

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:31 PM
Dumbest penalty in football, when both players lowers their head it should not be targeting. It should also be a warning on 1st call not ejection.

Bisonator
This targeting BS needs to be fricking redone such a stupid rule nobody knows what the hell it is anymore.

POD Knows
Amazing how many commentators have no idea the nuances of the targeting rule. All that matters when a defender hits a runner (aka not a defenseless player) is if the defender leads with the crown of the helmet. It doesn't matter where they hit the runner (helmet or otherwise). If they lead with the crown it's targeting.
It also doesn’t matter what their intent is.

Puddin Tane
December 11th, 2021, 08:32 PM
Tale a shot every time you hear penetration.

tequila for every “heat seeking missle”

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 08:32 PM
Agreed. QB lowered his helmet. Bad call.

So targeting is called but not a 15 yard personal fault? Or did I miss it?

Dewey

The SHSU defender was going to deliver a textbook tackle with his helmet being right on the ball/chest. The MSU QB sees it coming at the last second, braces for impact (aka ball up) which causes him to drop his head....

CHIP72
December 11th, 2021, 08:33 PM
I knew KC Keeler should have gone back to Delaware.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2021, 08:34 PM
It also doesn’t matter what their intent is.
Yep, that to. The targeting rule on a runner is in place mainly to protect the tackler since it can cause serious neck and spine issues to lead with the crown of the helmet.

deez_na
December 11th, 2021, 08:35 PM
That is Montana State.....not Montana.

But yes, MSU is dominating.

Dewey
Dangit, thought I had st behind it lol. My bad.

MSUBobcat
Dagger?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Another terrible pass gets picked by the Bobcats! My goodness!

Bisonator
December 11th, 2021, 08:36 PM
Game over!

Professor Chaos
The SHSU defender was going to deliver a textbook tackle with his helmet being right on the ball/chest. The MSU QB sees it coming at the last second, braces for impact (aka ball up) which causes him to drop his head....
I didn't really like the call but coaches shouldn't be teaching players to put their helmet on the ball anymore because that's just begging for a targeting call.

HootyHoo
Sam Houston is back….to normal.

JacksFan40
Well guess it’s time to get ready for tropical Bozeman in the semifinals.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2021, 08:37 PM
xlolx

Paper tiger Sammy??

Chalupa Batman
https://media2.giphy.com/media/1XYC52rwtqDja/giphy.gif

Bison56
Sam Houston is back….to normal.

xlolx looking that way.

TennBison
December 11th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Dagger?
Dagger my ass, that is a samurai sword to the face.

Libertine
Dude, shut up about film study. Literally EVERYBODY does film study. It's not special.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
This is crazy! Complete domination! Should be plenty of good seats at Bowers in the second half..

We sure Keeler isn't headed to Temple? Not sure he was preparing his team for this one....xsmiley_wix

Prime Power
December 11th, 2021, 08:39 PM
Soft Houston is back….to normal.

FIFY.......

Reign of Terrier
Congratulations Montana State on your first ever away playoff victory! What is, 30-something years in the making?

Bison Fan in NW MN
https://media2.giphy.com/media/1XYC52rwtqDja/giphy.gif

MSU......"I must break you"......xnodx

peavy
How dare he disrespect Touchdown Tommy like that by comparing him to Taysom Hill

Bison56
December 11th, 2021, 08:40 PM
Second game listening to this color commentator. He needs to rethink his career choice. So many words, but doesn't say anything.

MSUBobcat
December 11th, 2021, 08:40 PM
Well this is gonna **** up my pick 'em. I only picked us to win by 4.....

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 08:41 PM
If MSU can score 28 this quick so can SHSU. Keep your powder dry.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2021, 08:42 PM
"The Big Lie" seems like it's something different in this game lmao

Way to go cats xthumbsupx

Roamingriz
December 11th, 2021, 08:46 PM
"The Big Lie" seems like it's something different in this game lmao

Way to go cats xthumbsupx

I would have preferred the "starting" QB to be out for Mellott if I were a 🐈. Dudes a baller. Anderson type.

Chalupa Batman
If MSU can score 28 this quick so can SHSU. Keep your powder dry.

I don’t see MSU’s defense giving up 29 points.

Libertine
<sigh> That's a terrible description of Cover 2.

F'N Hawks
December 11th, 2021, 08:48 PM
I mean lmfao. What the hell

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 08:49 PM
I don’t see MSU’s defense giving up 29 points.
Well. They are going to give up 7 here

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 08:51 PM
TD SHSU! I believe they get the ball to start the second half? Might have a chance for one last charge....

WTF do you go for 2? Take your point and be happy....lol

AgentL
December 11th, 2021, 08:52 PM

Chalupa Batman

They’ve had to work way too hard for their points. It could happen but it don’t see it happening.

POD Knows
Yea. They get the ball in the second half. They score and you got a new ball game

HootyHoo
December 11th, 2021, 08:53 PM
Hooty is a Atlanta Falcons fan. 28-6 is not safe. Bobcats need to run the football. Trust Hooty.

Chalupa Batman
Three TD’s & 3 2 point conversations means you still need a TD. [emoji2357]

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Interested to see how MSU plays this possession....

Reign of Terrier
December 11th, 2021, 08:55 PM
This one isn't over, but damn it I'm all for jinxing for the memes lol

TennBison
December 11th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Intercepts the two point conversion attempt and does not try to run it back. He went right to his knee??????

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 08:56 PM
Why didn't SHSU call timeout after the first down run?

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 08:56 PM

I completely agree.

Dewey

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Hooty is a Atlanta Falcons fan. 28-6 is not safe. Bobcats need to run the football. Trust Hooty.
Yea. KSU gave up 15 in a couple minutes. **** happens

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 08:58 PM
TD SHSU! I believe they get the ball to start the second half? Might have a chance for one last charge....

WTF do you go for 2? Take your point and be happy....lol

Stupid decision to go for 2. Really dumb

Dewey

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2021, 08:59 PM
You have a timeout, WTF is SHSU doing? lol

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 09:00 PM
If SHSU can get 15 yards use the last timeout and take a shot at a field goal.

Edit...nevermind Schmid takes a shot and now SHSU has 3 seconds left.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 09:01 PM
I feel like SHSU really mismanaged these final 90 seconds....

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 09:02 PM
Wow! Complete domination by the Bobcats!

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 09:03 PM
You have a timeout, WTF is SHSU doing? lol

Why they headed to the locker room with a TO in their pocket down 22 points I'll never know. They pissed away like 40 seconds by not calling it when MSU had the call...

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 09:03 PM
That 2 conversion try was pure genius. Keeler is a mastermind.

mvemjsunpx
December 11th, 2021, 09:04 PM
Why they headed to the locker room with a TO in their pocket down 22 points I'll never know. They pissed away like 40 seconds by not calling it when MSU had the call...

MSU gained 5 yards on first down and still had time to drive the field at that point. I don't think most coaches would've called a timeout there.

dewey
Does the ESPN cor commentator get paid by the word? Wow he talks a LOT.

Dewey

POD Knows
Absolutely brutal clock management by SHSU at the end of the half. Really really bad

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 09:05 PM
Does the ESPN cor commentator get paid by the word? Wow he talks a LOT.

Dewey
He is a tweaker.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2021, 09:05 PM
I'm now more convinced than ever that this side of the bracket was an absolute joke.

MSUBobcat
December 11th, 2021, 09:06 PM
First possession of 2nd half will be crucial. Snuff out any momentum. D is still playing very well. I'd be surprised if we don't at least score once more.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 09:07 PM
MSU gained 5 yards on first down and still had time to drive the field at that point. I don't think most coaches would've called a timeout there.

You're down 22 at that point what's another MSU TD? You need possessions....

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 09:07 PM
I'm now more convinced than ever that this side of the bracket was an absolute joke.

SDSU is the best team on that side with MSU being the 2nd best IMHO.

Dewey

mmiller_34
December 11th, 2021, 09:08 PM

Dewey

Wrong.

MSU way better

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 09:08 PM
First possession of 2nd half will be crucial. Snuff out any momentum. D is still playing very well. I'd be surprised if we don't at least score once more.
This is balls on. It would rip their hearts out.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2021, 09:09 PM

Missouri State really crapped the bed imo. I think they were extremely dangerous prior to their 6 turnover implosion....

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2021, 09:11 PM

Dewey
Looking like the seeds should've been

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. SDSU
4. Montana
5. MSU
6. Nova
7. EWU
8. SHSU

Catbooster
December 11th, 2021, 09:12 PM
Let the bloodbath begin
So far, so good.

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2021, 09:14 PM

The Bearkats are paper tigers. Didn't play anyone to deserve the ranking.

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 09:16 PM
SHSU is going to win this. They have been incredibly lucky for a while now. Maybe that luck runs out tonight but who knows.

SoDakSA
The only chance SHSU has against good teams is when their star QB goes down in the 1st qtr.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
I'm a Keeler fan and honestly I would not be sad if Temple hired him (I know he's not coming to Temple). With that said, SHSU looks awful tonight...ugly....

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2021, 09:17 PM
Wrong.

MSU way better

Nope SDSU is better. Good thing is we'll all get to see who's right. Paper tigers aren't coming back in this one.

Catbooster
The targeting call was unfortunate. Probably the right call technically, but I don't like it - obviously no intent and Tommy lowered his shoulder/head as well.

mmiller_34
The only chance SHSU has against good teams is when their star QB goes down in the 1st qtr.

This

Professor Chaos
I have to think SHSU is going to come back and make this a game.

If this score holds or gets worse I may have to flip to the side of those who considered the spring season a complete sham.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2021, 09:18 PM
The targeting call was unfortunate. Probably the right call technically, but I don't like it - obviously no intent and Tommy lowered his shoulder/head as well.
Avatar looks good, btw xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2021, 09:19 PM
MSU can thank the Griz for beating their asses so bad, they jettisoned their dead weight at QB and are now a much better team. xlolx

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2021, 09:21 PM
MSU can thank the Griz for beating their asses so bad, they jettisoned their dead weight at QB and are now a much better team. xlolx

This is actually true.

Catbooster
December 11th, 2021, 09:22 PM
Avatar looks good, btw xthumbsupx
xsmhx
xshakefistx

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Intent has nothing to do with it.

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 09:24 PM
I have to think SHSU is going to come back and make this a game.

If this score holds or gets worse I may have to flip to the side of those who considered the spring season a complete sham.

Agreed. I have a hard time believing SHSU is going to roll over. SHSU got it going on that last drive. Got to think SHSU comes back to make this interesting.

No matter what happens SHSU winning the spring title was not a shame IMHO. They won 4 games by 1 score or less against good teams.

Dewey