PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Quarterfinal: #6 Montana @ #3 James Madison

Pages : [1] 2

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Rematch of the 2004 national title game and a 2008 semi. Kick off will be at 7PM ET on Friday 12/10. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51729034923_d81c9ec400_z.jpg

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 04:37 PM
I am really excited to see this game.

Go Grizzlies!

Dewey

Silenoz
December 4th, 2021, 04:43 PM
Rematch of the 2004 national title game (maybe their first matchup since then???)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzOnH-34to

jmu007
December 4th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Rubber match game. Bring it.

I remember how well you guys travelled in 2008. Safe travels this time around as well. Was at the 2004 and 2008 games. Kills me I won't be able to make this one.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 4th, 2021, 05:16 PM
I vividly remember the 2008 game! Didn't JMU's QB get hurt early on?

jmu007
December 4th, 2021, 05:26 PM
Yes, Drew Dudzik replaced Landers in relief, but couldn't quite bring us all the way back. So many costly turnovers for JMU in that game from what I recall.

knit35
December 4th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Yes, Drew Dudzik replaced Landers in relief, but couldn't quite bring us all the way back. So many costly turnovers for JMU in that game from what I recall.

I remember Montana twisting lots of ankles and hurting Landers which likely cost JMU that game. Should be a great match up next weekend.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2021, 05:49 PM
I remember Montana twisting lots of ankles and hurting Landers which likely cost JMU that game. Should be a great match up next weekend.

Aren't you going to be without two players for the first half next week due to...dirty play? Just saying, glass houses and all.

knit35
December 4th, 2021, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Grizalltheway;3023850]Aren't you going to be without two players for the first half next week due to...dirty play? Just saying, glass houses and all.[/QUOTE

Did you watch the plays? Interesting if you would call them targeting - it wasn’t a dirty play. Neither of them were.

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=Grizalltheway;3023850]Aren't you going to be without two players for the first half next week due to...dirty play? Just saying, glass houses and all.[/QUOTE

Did you watch the plays? Interesting if you would call them targeting - it wasn’t a dirty play. Neither of them were.

The targeting calls this year seem like the officials use a magic 8 ball to make the determination.

Dewey

KPSUL
December 4th, 2021, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=knit35;3023854]

The targeting calls this year seem like the officials use a magic 8 ball to make the determination.

Dewey

Today they seemed to call it when the crown of the tackler's helmet hit the ball carrier in the chest, and didn't call it when the contact was head to head. How does that make sense?

ysubigred
December 4th, 2021, 06:20 PM
JMU by 31..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2021, 06:25 PM

I didn't catch them, no. That's why I phrased it as a question. Landers was hurt on a clean tackle, btw.

knit35
December 4th, 2021, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=knit35;3023854]

I didn't catch them, no. That's why I phrased it as a question. Landers was hurt on a clean tackle, btw.

Thats why I didn’t say on that particular play btw.

Look its going to be a good game and I’d expect it to be chippy. Enjoy the build up and game

ysubigred
December 4th, 2021, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=dewey;3023868]

Today they seemed to call it when the crown of the tackler's helmet hit the ball carrier in the chest, and didn't call it when the contact was head to head. How does that make sense?It's a BS call.. taking some of the natural football plays away from the defense. Seen calls where the offensive player lowered his head to inflict punishment on a defensive player and the defensive guy ejected for the targeting.. Targeting really needs a relook..

xtwocentsx

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Would like to see Griz win but their defense was extremely suspect against EWU and offense scored 3 of their TD’s on extremely short fields. Should be a good game. JMU can not run the ball.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 10:01 PM
This will be the national game on ESPN2 next Friday at 7PM ET.

https://twitter.com/JMUFootball/status/1467339762403098625

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2021, 10:15 PM

Let's goooooooooo!!!!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 4th, 2021, 10:18 PM
I feel like this should be a mid-afternoon Saturday game to allow for the proper build up. However, if Friday night means ESPN(2) then so be it I suppose. Still, makes it tough for all the I-95 JMU fans/alums to get to Harrisonburg. I could see it taking a bit for the crowd to "settle in"....

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=dewey;3023868]

Today they seemed to call it when the crown of the tackler's helmet hit the ball carrier in the chest, and didn't call it when the contact was head to head. How does that make sense?

Agreed. I thought the SHSU hit wasn't since the SHSU player hit the IUW player in the chest and didn't launch. No helmet to helmet contact. Then there were 2 plays in thr MT vs EWU.

I get trying to get rid of the "head hunters" and lays like that but a LOT of these plays do not appear to be the head hunter type.

Luke YSUbigred said they need to figure out the targeting rule and better define it.

Dewey

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 10:22 PM

This appears to be the best matchup of the quarterfinals. 2 big FCS names and 2 very good teams.

Dewey

Daytripper
December 4th, 2021, 10:25 PM
This will either be a close Montana win or a JMU blowout. No in between.

UNHWildcat18
December 4th, 2021, 10:48 PM
I wish this was a semi or the final game.

putter
December 4th, 2021, 11:22 PM
Took a peek at the JMU board. All on the same wave length as knit. Saying Montana is dirty, purposely hurting Landers ... etc. I don't know how many times they said that Barrier was not a good QB. He has a good chance to win the Peyton but whatever floats your boat.

Will be a good game and I don't see how JMU blows out Montana but anything is possible.

Bison56
December 4th, 2021, 11:27 PM
Took a peek at the JMU board. All on the same wave length as knit. Saying Montana is dirty, purposely hurting Landers ... etc. I don't know how many times they said that Barrier was not a good QB. He has a good chance to win the Peyton but whatever floats your boat.

Will be a good game and I don't see how JMU blows out Montana but anything is possible.

Only people that read and post on that board hate themselves.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 4th, 2021, 11:30 PM

Emotions figure to be quite high Friday night in Harrisonburg! This is going to be one helluva battle! Showcase for both programs and FCS in general. With JMU moving along, having Montana, NDSU and even a school like ETSU (some bball history) on national TV is a boost to the subdivision. JMU needs to really put their best foot forward. Huge recruiting opportunity imo...

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 11:30 PM

I read that board since their fans don't post over here, and to say they live in their own little self-inflated bubble would be an understatement. Some interesting takes over there.

putter
December 4th, 2021, 11:31 PM
Only people that read and post on that board hate themselves.

xlolx

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2021, 11:34 PM
they live in their own little self-inflated bubble would be an understatement.So…like MVFC Fans here, but with no unwashed ‘outsiders’ :p

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 11:36 PM
So…like MVFC Fans here, but with no unwashed ‘outsiders’ :p

Yes, people get checked for their outlandish takes here. It's basically one big circle jerk over there.

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2021, 11:37 PM
Yes, non-MVFC people get checked for their objective takes here. It's basically one big circle jerk over there.
FYP

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 11:41 PM
FYP

Uh huh, okay, sure

I hope ETSU runs the table....Or don't....Or whatever

KPSUL
December 5th, 2021, 07:25 AM
I read that board since their fans don't post over here, and to say they live in their own little self-inflated bubble would be an understatement. Some interesting takes over there.

The JMU board is a _ _ __show. They drive off all the sane and reasonable posters. I read it once in a while just to get a few laughs.

mvemjsunpx
December 5th, 2021, 07:53 AM
The defenses & special teams are comparable between these two, but the offenses aren't. The Griz are also just 3-15 in the playoffs away from Missoula, although one of those wins was at James Madison.

Ultimately, I think this game comes down to Cole Johnson being a good QB and Cam Humphrey just being an OK one.

Bison56
December 5th, 2021, 09:32 AM
They still talking about the dynasty over there?xcoffeex

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 10:10 AM
I feel like this should be a mid-afternoon Saturday game to allow for the proper build up. However, if Friday night means ESPN(2) then so be it I suppose. Still, makes it tough for all the I-95 JMU fans/alums to get to Harrisonburg. I could see it taking a bit for the crowd to "settle in"....

Seems like they have the two best matchups competing against each other for viewers.

knit35
December 5th, 2021, 10:17 AM

I never said EB wasn’t good. I did say I felt Montana was attempting to twist Landers ankles. I’m pretty even on the takes a majority of the time. This should be a great game and I am looking forward to it.

Bronco
December 5th, 2021, 10:59 AM

putter
December 5th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Ha Ha, now they are hoping Montana fans don't bring their urine bags...... WTF?

Bison56
December 5th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Do you bring them to the game or fill them when you get there?xlolx

ysubigred
December 5th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Do you bring them to the game or fill them when you get there?xlolxPiss bottles are the norm.. bags are for beginners [emoji57]

Chalupa Batman
December 5th, 2021, 03:02 PM

Yeah what's that about?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 5th, 2021, 04:22 PM
These are two FCS heavyweights and their two previous meetings were bigtime battles. This is going to be a fun week. EGriz and the Dukes Board will keep the curious entertained....

Utgrizfan
December 5th, 2021, 04:41 PM
I find it pretty funny they call us the dirty team while they have 2 players who will be sitting out some of the game due to personal fouls

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 5th, 2021, 05:05 PM
I find it pretty funny they call us the dirty team while they have 2 players who will be sitting out some of the game due to personal fouls

I feel in some ways the loss in 2008 was such a brutal loss that it lingers despite the 2004 title. The old saying the losses bring more pain than winning brings joy likely holds true. That game had tremendous hype going in, Landers was a known commodity nationally iirc, that team was by all accounts better than the 2004 team that won the title and it was in Harrisonburg. It was JMU's first time to really showcase their program/school. App State had really helped put FCS on the map the previous year. Plus, the CAA was at the peak of their power then. That was a great time for FCS. The Montana vs App State game in Missoula the next year was incredible....

semobison
December 5th, 2021, 05:24 PM
Would love to see the Griz come to Fargo for the semi’s but unfortunately I think JMU takes this one.

knit35
December 5th, 2021, 07:30 PM

Can you show the two plays that led to the individuals sitting out and tell others how you believe they are dirty? Just curious. Both teams will be aggressive and I anciticpate this being chippy and competititive. Should be a good game.

Bison56
December 5th, 2021, 07:34 PM

You won't find a bigger group of whiners than JMU fans.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 07:35 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/dXFKDUolyLLi8gq6Cl/giphy.gif

Katfan
December 5th, 2021, 07:46 PM
I am really excited to see this game.

Go Grizzlies!

Dewey this could be an instant classic!

Chalupa Batman
December 5th, 2021, 08:56 PM

They're convinced that they've stayed on top of the FCS mountain since 2016, in spite of losing two subsequent games to us in that time.

Gil Dobie
December 5th, 2021, 10:07 PM
They're convinced that they've stayed on top of the FCS mountain since 2016, in spite of losing two subsequent games to us in that time.

According to the 2019 QB, they only lost because of trickery. xembarrassedx

JayMYou
December 5th, 2021, 10:15 PM

True, there's no shortage of JMU fans that have to overcompensate for our feelings of inadequacy living in the shadows of UVA and VT. Probably on a scale with the number of NDST fans that correlate their inflated self worth to FCS trophies.

An objective perspective could find that JMU was the slightly better team in 2017, but lost due to freak plays like an INT bouncing off a player's foot. Said perspective could also pose that JMU was the better team in 2019, but NDST had by far the best player- who needed to win with his legs cause he couldn't with his arm. No doubt who the king of the FCS "mountain" is and always will be, you're welcome to it and all the hubris that keeps you warm at night xbowx

But to all you fans that will continue to lose to NDST year after year, it's just a game. Most Bison fans are good people, just try to ignore the insecure ones whose only joy in their empty lives seems to be rubbing your noses in accomplishments they had nothing to do with. With all that said, if JMU loses to Montana or NDST you'll never see me on this board again because I'm a sore loser. But if JMU beats both, I'll be on here for years annoy the f@#k out of you b!@ches.

DirtyDukes
December 6th, 2021, 12:50 AM

Yeah what's that about?

Thats in reference to the reports of the treatment that FAMU fans got at SELA, and one of our own said that they should put their big boy pants on. We (i) were making fun of him, not the griz.

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2021, 01:08 AM
Super excited for this one.

Think the Griz are physical enough to pull it out, but JMU will likely be the best team we've faced all year (including UW).

As long as the offense doesn't go stone cold, I think it'll be a close, good game. xthumbsupx

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 08:37 AM
I poked around over there for a while once. They are mostly delusional clowns. Wasn’t Alex Ale an JMU clown. Imagine that times a hundred.

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 08:39 AM
The defenses & special teams are comparable between these two, but the offenses aren't. The Griz are also just 3-15 in the playoffs away from Missoula, although one of those wins was at James Madison.

Ultimately, I think this game comes down to Cole Johnson being a good QB and Cam Humphrey just being an OK one.
I agree with this. I don’t think Montana is good enough at the QB position to win this game. Plus purple steamers. #BOOKIT

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 08:45 AM
You could have had a couple carry overs from the EWU game as well. I have seen far less egregious hits go the other way with this targeting deal. I am rooting for Montana here but I don’t think these targeting calls are the barometer for dirty play anymore, unless it is SDSU, then the dirty play banner is warranted. 😀

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 09:24 AM
Questions as I have not watched alot of the Griz this year. How is your Pass D? JMU has turned one dimensional, if you can pressure Cole, and cover downfield you have a shot. If not, those receivers are going to have a big game.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 09:31 AM
The NCAA teams stats site finally got updated so I put the team stats comparison in the first post.

Also, JMU opens as a 6 point favorite with an O/U of 47.5 on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php).

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 09:55 AM
I'd definitely take the under on the points in this one. Both defenses are stellar at stopping the run and both offenses have been bad in the redzone this year. I think there might be a lot of FGs in this one (and both teams have good kickers).

I could see this game playing out a lot like the JMU/UNI quarterfinal did 2 years ago that JMU won 17-0. Montana does have more big play potential with their offense than UNI did then but it could be another rock fight with both defenses controlling the game.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2021, 12:10 PM
I'd definitely take the under on the points in this one. Both defenses are stellar at stopping the run and both offenses have been bad in the redzone this year. I think there might be a lot of FGs in this one (and both teams have good kickers).

I could see this game playing out a lot like the JMU/UNI quarterfinal did 2 years ago that JMU won 17-0. Montana does have more big play potential with their offense than UNI did then but it could be another rock fight with both defenses controlling the game.

If E Washington can put up points on Montana you know JMU will, their athletes are to good not to

JMU usually scores on big plays before they get into RZ

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 12:14 PM
If E Washington can put up points on Montana you know JMU will, their athletes are to good not to

JMU usually scores on big plays before they get into RZ
Good defenses will limit those explosive plays and Montana has a good defense. EWU shredded that Griz defense though through the first quarter or so last week so maybe JMU can do the same. Although I do think EWU's offense (at QB in particular) is better than JMU's offense.

Chalupa Batman
December 6th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Questions as I have not watched alot of the Griz this year. How is your Pass D? JMU has turned one dimensional, if you can pressure Cole, and cover downfield you have a shot. If not, those receivers are going to have a big game.

Montana blitzes pretty much every play, and I expect they will get pressure on Cole. The Griz are really good at maintaining gap integrity when they do blitz, not leaving any open lanes to run. Cole will likely have to complete quick hitters all game as I don't think he'll have much time to let the deep routes develop. And Montana is an excellent tackling team.

We Are the Dukes of JMU
December 6th, 2021, 12:50 PM
I think much of the talk of dirty play from Montana actually comes from the 2004 championship game, when a Montana player effectively assaulted our QB on a late hit to try to take him out of the game. As one of the ESPN guys said, "That's not football, that's assault." See 2:09:30 for the hit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUfQs2nSwv0

I think that 2004 experience had a lot of JMU fans nervous that Montana would attempt another dirty hit to take out our QB in 2008. For what it's worth, I didn't see anything dirty about the play that took Landers out in 2008. He was already playing with an injury and something aggravated it. It was just one of those things that happens in football. I think a lot of JMU fans were just overly sensitive to the potential for dirty hits after the 2004 experience.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 01:16 PM
I think much of the talk of dirty play from Montana actually comes from the 2004 championship game, when a Montana player effectively assaulted our QB on a late hit to try to take him out of the game. As one of the ESPN guys said, "That's not football, that's assault." See 2:09:30 for the hit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUfQs2nSwv0

I think that 2004 experience had a lot of JMU fans nervous that Montana would attempt another dirty hit to take out our QB in 2008. For what it's worth, I didn't see anything dirty about the play that took Landers out in 2008. He was already playing with an injury and something aggravated it. It was just one of those things that happens in football. I think a lot of JMU fans were just overly sensitive to the potential for dirty hits after the 2004 experience.

Good lord! What a cheap shot!

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Good lord! What a cheap shot!

Yeah, that was bad. But I guarantee you he still remembers the lashing he got from Hauck and co. for it.

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 01:54 PM
Montana blitzes pretty much every play, and I expect they will get pressure on Cole. The Griz are really good at maintaining gap integrity when they do blitz, not leaving any open lanes to run. Cole will likely have to complete quick hitters all game as I don't think he'll have much time to let the deep routes develop. And Montana is an excellent tackling team.

Based on what you just said I will take the Griz in a close game. JMU is just not balanced enough this year and Montana is on quite a run as of late.

SeattleCat
December 6th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Good defenses will limit those explosive plays and Montana has a good defense. EWU shredded that Griz defense though through the first quarter or so last week so maybe JMU can do the same. Although I do think EWU's offense (at QB in particular) is better than JMU's offense.
If JMU can pick up the Blitz and make hot reads the griz are toast.

jmu007
December 6th, 2021, 02:10 PM

It'll be 1 player thank you very much. haha.

I agree, people complaining about a few plays 13 years ago is getting old.

PurpleStreamers
December 6th, 2021, 02:26 PM
I feel in some ways the loss in 2008 was such a brutal loss that it lingers despite the 2004 title. The old saying the losses bring more pain than winning brings joy likely holds true. That game had tremendous hype going in, Landers was a known commodity nationally iirc, that team was by all accounts better than the 2004 team that won the title and it was in Harrisonburg. It was JMU's first time to really showcase their program/school. App State had really helped put FCS on the map the previous year. Plus, the CAA was at the peak of their power then. That was a great time for FCS. The Montana vs App State game in Missoula the next year was incredible....

This is spot-on. Worst loss of my fan life and I do think that contributes to Dukes' fans lingering resentment and that includes the Skins blowout SB loss to the Raiders AND the Jeffrey Maher (sp?) play stealing a game for the Yanks from the O's. The hit vs. our QB Rascati in '04 was actually worse (you know, because it was actually dirty) but he didn't get hurt and JMU won so most people overlook it now, but in '08 when Landers (who is easily the program's most beloved player though not the "best" player) got hurt people just couldn't handle that it was a clean hit. That '08 team everyone truly believed would never lose after the comeback from 21-0 down to App. St. and the Hail Mary to win at Villanova and the punt-return TD to win at Richmond. And you're right, that was a golden age for FCS.

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 04:12 PM

Yea. That was one of the all time cheap shots ever hit it was literally a generation ago. Your lineman had a cheap shot earlier in that drive

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 04:15 PM
This is spot-on. Worst loss of my fan life and I do think that contributes to Dukes' fans lingering resentment and that includes the Skins blowout SB loss to the Raiders AND the Jeffrey Maher (sp?) play stealing a game for the Yanks from the O's. The hit vs. our QB Rascati in '04 was actually worse (you know, because it was actually dirty) but he didn't get hurt and JMU won so most people overlook it now, but in '08 when Landers (who is easily the program's most beloved player though not the "best" player) got hurt people just couldn't handle that it was a clean hit. That '08 team everyone truly believed would never lose after the comeback from 21-0 down to App. St. and the Hail Mary to win at Villanova and the punt-return TD to win at Richmond. And you're right, that was a golden age for FCS.
Golden age. Why. Because you used to be relevant. I think Delaware was good back then and GSU.

peavy
December 6th, 2021, 06:25 PM

As POD mentioned, just three players earlier #65 Corey Davis got a personal foul for grabbing LB Shane Macintyre from inside the shoulder pads and tossing him around like a rag doll after the play was over. That same announcer said of Davis, "... he's gotten away with a lot of things. He got away with a couple of shots to the helmet. [He] looked like Mike Tyson for a while, and that was a bridge too far. They wouldn't let him get away any further." Davis had an unsportsmanlike conduct call go against him on the previous JMU drive after he retaliated for getting pushed in the back once the JMU RB was already in the endzone. The announcers mentioned talking about Davis earlier and saying he was involved in a bunch of plays, so I'm curious as to what else went on.

This probably isn't a great take, but if Kerry Mullan followed through with the hit on the QB in any other way than the full on superman punch, you wouldn't be discussing that particular play. There were plenty of unnoticed hits after the whistle was blown that would have been called in today's game. Some would call it hard-nosed playoff football, but you won't see all that activity now. For what it's worth, some eGriz people were calling for both Mullan and Davis to be ejected.

peavy
December 6th, 2021, 06:37 PM
found one of the plays the announcers wanted a flag on - top of the screen
https://media.giphy.com/media/K5WK4gYAXqiDpaTj6a/giphy.gif

putter
December 6th, 2021, 06:42 PM
found one of the plays the announcers wanted a flag on - top of the screen
https://media.giphy.com/media/K5WK4gYAXqiDpaTj6a/giphy.gif

I forgot about that uppercut against Murphy ... we still talk about Mullins' punch. Totally uncalled for and he should have been ejected. Killed any defensive momentum Montana had on 3rd down.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2021, 08:05 PM
Golden age. Why. Because you used to be relevant. I think Delaware was good back then and GSU.

No, because you still had hair and were still getting laid:D

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 08:25 PM
No, because you still had hair and were still getting laid:D
Still got a full head of hair man.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Still got a full head of hair man.

50% ain't bad...xlolx

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2021, 09:54 PM
50% ain't bad...xlolx

funny

grizband
December 7th, 2021, 02:22 AM

I was at that game, my senior year with the Griz marching band. I'll never forget how frustrating it was, because they Griz had just held JMU on 2nd and goal from the 12, and it looked as though their defense may contain the Dukes to a field goal. With over 8 minutes remaining, the Griz may have had another shot to win the game. However, that penalty game JMU a first down, and 6 yards, allowing a touchdown that would ultimately seal the final score.

JMU2004
December 7th, 2021, 09:34 AM
For Montana fans, it's bitching about east coast arrogance and bias.

For JMU fans, it's bitching about Montana's dirty play.

Nothing has changed in the 17 years since our first meeting, even though we've only played once since then. Wish we had found a way to play each other more over the last 2 decades.

Live4Griz
December 7th, 2021, 10:04 AM

Nothing has changed in the 17 years since our first meeting, even though we've only played once since then. Wish we had found a way to play each other more over the last 2 decades.

I agree with all of this. Perfect summation. Looking forward to the game Friday night.

GO GRIZ!

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2021, 10:06 AM
....CAIN'T WAIT...MAH FIRST PLAY-OFF TA WATCH.....NO HAVE-UH.....DUH +......AWK!

POD Knows
December 7th, 2021, 10:08 AM

If I was anywhere close to JMU, I would be at this game. Really looking forward to this one.

semobison
December 7th, 2021, 10:11 AM
This is my kind of thread. Fans holding on to decades old resentments!

Herder
December 7th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Wow, Montana used to relevant. That was a great team vs JMU back in 2004, and I guess you can go back home Bobby Hauk. They could use Reynolds this coming Friday night.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Wow, Montana used to relevant. That was a great team vs JMU back in 2004, and I guess you can go back home Bobby Hauk. They could use Reynolds this coming Friday night.
Or Marcus Knight. 25 TDs last season, but tore his ACL in the spring.

kdinva
December 7th, 2021, 12:53 PM

that hit was 20x worse than anything in the NFL the past 40 years, and the no PI call the play before was BS, too.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2021, 01:08 PM
that hit was 20x worse than anything in the NFL the past 40 years, and the no PI call the play before was BS, too.

Really? 20x worse than Myles Garrer clubbing Mason Rudolph with his helmet?

putter
December 7th, 2021, 04:02 PM

A little dramatic don't you think? The punch was stupid and should have been an ejection. The PI, in real time, was close so I was not surprised at the no call. What about the punch from the JMU lineman? Funny how none of you Dukes fans remember what your team did ....

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 04:09 PM
If I was anywhere close to JMU, I would be at this game. Really looking forward to this one.

I will definitely have this on the big screen with a refreshing adult beverage within reach.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 04:34 PM
This will be a tough enough battle for the Griz without the distraction of possibly losing their OC: https://footballscoop.com/news/brent-pease-leading-candidate-idaho

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2021, 06:55 PM
This will be a tough enough battle for the Griz without the distraction of possibly losing their OC: https://footballscoop.com/news/brent-pease-leading-candidate-idaho
Pease isn’t our OC. That’s Rosenbaugh.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Pease isn’t our OC. That’s Rosenbaugh.

Ahh. Misread it. Asst. head coach/receivers coach. I think Pease was a QB for the Houston Oilers for a hot minute.

mvemjsunpx
December 7th, 2021, 08:41 PM
Ahh. Misread it. Asst. head coach/receivers coach. I think Pease was a QB for the Houston Oilers for a hot minute.

He was their starting QB for the replacement games in 1987 and remained on the roster through the following season.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2021, 10:23 PM
So Dukes...

Which event will carry more weight moving forward...a hoops win over Virginia at home (attendance record) on national TV or beating Montana in football on national tv?

JSUSoutherner
December 8th, 2021, 07:11 AM
So Dukes...

Which event will carry more weight moving forward...a hoops win over Virginia at home (attendance record) on national TV or beating Montana in football on national tv?

Hoops. Not even a real question.

Mfergy4
December 8th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Holy cow! What a thread going here between JMU and Griz. Lots of pent up ancient history being dredged up. Going to be a great game to watch. The Winner hopefully will be coming to Fargo, but that's a different thread. Laid my minuscule $1 bet on the the Griz.

JSUSoutherner
December 8th, 2021, 03:32 PM
Any win over an in-state P5, football or basketball, trumps anything we do against <insert FCS team> at this point. Just look at the VA Tech football win. I still see references to it in general conversation 11 years later.
You guys beat VT 11 years ago?

Neat.

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2021, 05:10 PM
TIL: Bobby Hauck interviewed for the JMU head coaching job in 2016 before the Dukes went with Mike Houston.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2016/01/19/citadel-head-football-coach-houston-leaving-for-james-madison/

The guy Houston beat out for the job was Bobby Hauck, who was also on campus Monday in Harrisonburg. Hauck is the former head coach at both Montana and UNLV. He’s now at San Diego State.

KPSUL
December 9th, 2021, 07:44 AM
You guys beat VT 11 years ago?

Neat.

Yep, but then they went 3-5 in the Conference and didn't make the payoffs.

JSUSoutherner
December 9th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Yep, but then they went 3-5 in the Conference and didn't make the payoffs.

Hey we beat Florida State this year, went 3-3 in the conference and missed the playoffs.

But 11 years ago we beat Ole Miss and went 9-2 and got a bye.

Ended about as you'd expect for us though.

McCowboys
December 9th, 2021, 09:48 AM
Go Griz!!!

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Geaux Griz!!!

Ftfy

McCowboys
December 9th, 2021, 10:21 AM
Ftfy

I didn't know Montana was located in Cajun land!

PurpleStreamers
December 9th, 2021, 10:47 AM
So Dukes...

First, loving the old/petty/haterish nature of this thread!

Second, no doubt the hoops win over Virginia is a bigger deal "moving forward" even if most of our hardcore fans (including myself here) would probably choose a win over Montana and what it means (another shot at the Bison). Safe to say many public-school FCS fans outside of the Montana's and Dakota's know how big a deal it is to beat a condescending state flagship in anything. But the reasons the win over UVA is more important are so much bigger just in that so many of our more casual fans/alums, including those that have been skeptical of the conference move, haven't seen the new hoops arena (only reason for attendance record and hopefully will be reset many times now). And our students re-engaging with men's hoops seems certain to be a whole lot bigger deal long-term in terms of caring, engagement, fundraising, etc. than anything we're ever likely to do in football at any level at this point just given the interests and composition of our student body.

p.s. jizz on the Griz!

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2021, 11:18 AM
First, loving the old/petty/haterish nature of this thread!

Second, no doubt the hoops win over Virginia is a bigger deal "moving forward" even if most of our hardcore fans (including myself here) would probably choose a win over Montana and what it means (another shot at the Bison). Safe to say many public-school FCS fans outside of the Montana's and Dakota's know how big a deal it is to beat a condescending state flagship in anything. But the reasons the win over UVA is more important are so much bigger just in that so many of our more casual fans/alums, including those that have been skeptical of the conference move, haven't seen the new hoops arena (only reason for attendance record and hopefully will be reset many times now). And our students re-engaging with men's hoops seems certain to be a whole lot bigger deal long-term in terms of caring, engagement, fundraising, etc. than anything we're ever likely to do in football at any level at this point just given the interests and composition of our student body.

p.s. jizz on the Griz!

Dookie on the Dukes!

wapiti
December 9th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Dookie on the Dukes!

Gotta take a mondo Duke.

https://youtu.be/xYkP8CohSmU

Mfergy4
December 9th, 2021, 02:54 PM
Gotta take a mondo Duke.

https://youtu.be/xYkP8CohSmU

xlolxxlolxxbowx

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2021, 04:49 PM
Searched on JMU football on Roku

an old game came up mixed in with all the annoying streamers

It was from 2008
CAA heyday
at the old Richmond place and it was packed and fans were into the game as they didn’t didn’t have iPhones

the field was grass and so much better than field turf

Ward vs Landers

Richmond RB was a bruiser

players were intense and were not giving the silly first Down signal

JMU won game on a last second punt return from Robert don’t call me Bobby Magee

Spiders got last laugh that year as they won it all

so refreshing to see what the CAA was compared to what it is today

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 03:37 PM
About 2.5 hours from kickoff....

I have no skin in the game yet I'm stoked for this one!

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 04:02 PM
About 2.5 hours from kickoff....

I have no skin in the game yet I'm stoked for this one!

I am stoked stoked this game too!

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2021, 04:28 PM
I’m stoked too. Should be a good showcase for FCS.

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Getting very nervous.

I hope this Griz team can keep proving my skepticism wrong!

knit35
December 10th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Getting very nervous.

I hope this Griz team can keep proving my skepticism wrong!

Feel the same way on the other side. I hope it’s a great game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 05:56 PM
While this is a showcase game for FCS it carries significant weight for JMU football, the university as a whole and Harrisonburg. As a Temple alum/supporter I'm fascinated to see how the Dukes athletic program continues to evolve within the Mid-Atlantic. I'm hoping for a home and home in bball and football....

kdinva
December 10th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Beth Mowins at the mic

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 06:03 PM
Griz defense missing Hicks-Onu and Belknap, both starters.

That suuuuuuuucks.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:04 PM
Here we go!

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Griz defense missing Hicks-Onu and Belknap, both starters.

That suuuuuuuucks.

Whoops, Babros, not Belknap.

kdinva
December 10th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Great Griz pressure D to force the grounding flag, then Dukes punt

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:10 PM
Nice throw and catch for the big 3rd down completion!

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:11 PM
Humphrey looks good to start...

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:14 PM
Big drop by Roberts.

Dewey

Bison56
December 10th, 2021, 06:15 PM
Nice drive by the Griz stalled a dropped pass.

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 06:16 PM
Akem to the locker room looking like he hurt his shoulder.

UGH!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:17 PM
TD Dukes! They certainly have big play capability...

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 06:17 PM
Well ****

Prime Power
December 10th, 2021, 06:18 PM
Omfg...what a horrible designed blitz by Montana...

SeattleCat
Gonna be a long night for the griz if they don't get Akem back.

Bison56
Ouch

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:19 PM
Omfg...what a horrible designed blitz by Montana...

The Dukes offensive line and RB did a good job picking up the blitz. Surprising the Dukes receiver ran right by 2 other Griz players.

Dewey

Roamingriz
December 10th, 2021, 06:24 PM
Haven't done a double pass all season, didn't need it right there....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Gonna be a long night for the griz if they don't get Akem back.

He looks done. Devastating loss for the Griz....

dewey
MT WR Akem on the sidelines shoulder pads off and arm in a sling. Not good for the Grizzlies.

Dewey

uofmman1122
Sammy Akem in a sling. This is a nightmare.

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Big catch by Roberts.

Dewey

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:25 PM
The Grizzly offensive line has done a good job protecting Humphries.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2021, 06:27 PM
Sammy Akem in a sling. This is a nightmare.

Yeah that’s not good. Special teams gonna have to be extra special tonight.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:27 PM
51 yard FG! Nice kick but Montana needs TDs.....

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Big 51 yard field goal by the Griz.

7-3 Dukes.

Dewey

knit35
December 10th, 2021, 06:28 PM
51 yard FG! Nice kick but Montana needs TDs.....

Great kick. That was deep.

kdinva
December 10th, 2021, 06:31 PM
I'm Guessing 9000 in the stands...

SeattleCat
December 10th, 2021, 06:32 PM
JMU almost riots after QB pushed out of bounds xeyebrowx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:34 PM
I'm Guessing 9000 in the stands...

I was thinking the same thing sadly. The crowd in 2008 might have been bigger. As a fan the atmosphere is a bit disappointing.....

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:37 PM
JMU almost riots after QB pushed out of bounds xeyebrowx

Looked to me like a one handed shove. No penalty there IMHO.

Dewey

knit35
I was thinking the same thing sadly. The crowd in 2008 might have been bigger. As a fan the atmosphere is a bit disappointing.....

I would guess there are 10-12k there. About avg for playoff crowds

Daytripper
If Montana can withstand the early JMU onslaught, they may have a chance. JMU just looks faster.

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2021, 06:39 PM
I’m not sure it’s a good idea for the Dukes to run Johnson this much.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:40 PM
I’m not sure it’s a good idea for the Dukes to run Johnson this much.

Yeah I didn't think he was getting up on that 4th down hit!! My goodness!!

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Huge stop by the Griz!

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Big stop by the Griz D! Also a huge hit on Johnson.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:42 PM
And Humphrey is done...my goodness....

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 06:43 PM
Good lord. He is out.

SeattleCat
Yikes... Humphrey got murdered.

Bison56
Nice high fives by JMU players. Stay classy.

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Good stick by JMU on Humphrey. Looks like Humphrey I hurt. Hopefully he can come back.

Dewey

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Oh my god I hope Cam is ok.

That’s likely ballgame.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:46 PM
Honestly, based on the replay it didn't look like a big shot to the head....

Daytripper
Nice high fives by JMU players. Stay classy.

Agree. Not surprised by JMU players. Reflects their head coach.

knit35
Oh my god I hope Cam is ok.

That’s likely ballgame.

Hope the young man is ok. Big stop on 4th

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 06:47 PM
If Brown plays the rest of this game, we’re gonna get annihilated.

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:48 PM
Hope the young man is ok. Big stop on 4th

Agreed. Why go for it on 4th down near midfield when the D is playing pretty well?

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:48 PM
Griz get a much needed turnover! Montana continues to get pressure on Johnson...

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Boom!

dewey
Griz get a much needed turnover! Montana continues to get pressure on Johnson...

Hell yeah! Come on Griz!

Dewey

uofmman1122
FUMBLE!!!

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 06:50 PM
Down a QB, Griz gonna need turnovers and more.

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2021, 06:52 PM
There is absolutely NO reason for the Dukes to have Cole running designed runs.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 06:54 PM

True.

- - - Updated - - -

Last thing the Griz needed.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 06:55 PM

This game is going to be uber physical/chippy the rest of the way. If I'm JMU I'm protecting my QB.....

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:55 PM
Humphrey and Akem on the sidelines together is not good.

Dewey

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 06:56 PM

Dewey

Yeah. Montana was going to have an uphill battle at full force. This is going to be really tough for them.

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Yeah. Montana was going to have an uphill battle at full force. This is going to be really tough for them.

Agreed. The Griz needs to play lights out the rest of the way and cause turnovers.

Dewey

putter
December 10th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Montana, playing with one hand behind their back. Humphrey takes forever in his reads so I hope they can run the ball

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 06:58 PM
He was pulling it back. Fumble.

ysubigred
December 10th, 2021, 06:59 PM

DeweyYup, I was thinking the same.. Griz causing turn overs left and right but the O is neutered..

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 06:59 PM
It looks like the Tom Brady tuck rule?

Hopefully a fumble.

Dewey

Bison56
December 10th, 2021, 07:00 PM

That's what it looks like to me but I'm sure it will be incomplete pass.

dewey

I hope you are right.

Dewey

Daytripper

Not the first time I have been wrong.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
I'm not sure if Johnson is making it out of this game alive either......good lord...

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:01 PM
We may end up with backup QBs for both teams if this keeps going...

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:01 PM
Another big stop by MT! This JMU o line is not good.

Dewey

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Johnson looks rough when he’s pressured. Gotta keep hammering him.

Roamingriz
I worried about Brown, he can be a turnover machine.

dewey
Interesting how JMU fans want to head to Fargo for retribution. With that o line Johnson may get killed in Fargo.

Dewey

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 07:03 PM
Brown is struggling so much. Ugh.

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Brown has got to see that and get rid of it faster. Why not run the ball or give the QB the option to run if he is struggling to pass from the pocket.

Dewey

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Go for it there. Not going to get a lot of chances in JMU territory.

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Brown has got to see that and get rid of it faster. Why not run the ball or give the QB the option to run if he is struggling to pass from the pocket.

Dewey
This has been his problem all season. He just doesn’t have it (yet, I hope).

Bison56
December 10th, 2021, 07:06 PM
No official word on Humphreys?

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 07:07 PM
No official word on Humphreys?
Looks like they took his helmet away, probably in concussion protocol for the rest of the game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 07:07 PM
Montana has to tackle. The yards after contact on this drive are crazy....

knit35
December 10th, 2021, 07:08 PM

Great effort.

Bison56
Looks like a dooks win.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
JMU breaks one to the house. That might be the ball game....

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:09 PM
Game over. No way Montana comes back without their best two offensive players.

NDB
Just came to say this.

Big sky defense.

dewey

Agreed. Big TD by the Dukes. 96 yards on 4 plays. UGH!

Dewey

uofmman1122
Holy **** that was pathetic

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:11 PM
Just came to say this.

Big sky defense.

Southern Speed.

ysubigred
Rot row Raggy.. wheels are coming off Da Bears wagon [emoji15]

putter
Hate to say it, if Brown plays the rest of the game this will be ugly. He is not good

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Nice throw. Maybe he get into a groove.

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:13 PM
Come on Griz!

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 07:14 PM
From a 3rd and 1 (potentially 2 down territory) to a false start and punt....brutal first half for the Griz

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:14 PM
Huge mistake on that false start. Drive killer.

Dewey

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:15 PM
Griz gotta hold here and regroup. Big halftime adjustments are the only way they win.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:18 PM
Generous spot.

dewey
Why the hell is JMU running Johnson? Give it to the RB.

Dewey

Hammerhead
JMU needs better lighting so their jerseys and end zones don’t look blue.

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:20 PM
That slant is killing the Griz.

Dewey

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:21 PM
Big sack by the Griz! Come on brown bears!

Dewey

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:22 PM
You got to think that the MT coaches are going to scheme up a safety or OLB to stop that slant, right?

Dewey

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:23 PM
You got to think that the MT coaches are going to scheme up a safety or OLB to stop that slant, right?

Dewey

They have to do something.

putter
December 10th, 2021, 07:25 PM

Dewey

Haven't all year. This is the Griz team that lost to Sac and struggled. Brown has to step up and I hope Montana devises calls to help him out. He is brutally slow in His reads

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Griz have to be at least relieved that it is only 11 points.

uofmman1122
Boy that couldn’t have gone much worse to only be down 11.

Roamingriz
I agree, its his reads. This is about the level of griz that lost to sac.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2021, 07:29 PM
Montana is not winning this game with that backup QB.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Montana is not winning this game with that backup QB.

Do they have another option?

mvemjsunpx
December 10th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Do they have another option?

Not really. The third guy has basically been a Wildcat-only QB.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:35 PM
Not really. The third guy has basically been a Wildcat-only QB.

Just have to get creative. Do or die.

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 07:40 PM
I agree, its his reads. This is about the level of griz that lost to sac.
It's devastating to see this team again.

We were so good the last few weeks, and now we're playing with an offense that doesn't belong in the playoffs.

A microcosm of this entire season right here.

We need a miracle.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2021, 07:43 PM
Griz D played pretty well to keep it this close. They are going to need turnovers in JMU territory to keep this close

Totally perplexed why JMU is running the QB. They seem to have a lot of tools on offense, there should be no QB runs

JMJ appears to be a lot better run blocking team than they are in pass protection.

JMU D is going to completely sell out to the run. Montana might not get a first down the rest of the game.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Does JMU normally throw this many slants or is it because Montana lives by LB blitzes

Bison56
December 10th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Terrible call

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 07:54 PM
What a weak ****ing call

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 10th, 2021, 07:55 PM
Terrible PI call

Daytripper
Weak f***ing call.

Christiank22
What a shock JMU gets a favorable call. Literally every time I watch them play

POD Knows
OMFG. hideous ****ing call. Are you kidding me.

crusader11
What a bunch of bullspit that was.

Daytripper
That could cost the Griz the game. What are these, MVFC refs??

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 07:56 PM
That was a terrible call on the defensive PI. Nothing but hand fighting.

Dewey

Daytripper
December 10th, 2021, 07:56 PM
That could cost the Griz the game. What are these, MVFC refs??

We had our experience with that cluster ****** last weekend.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2021, 07:57 PM
Pure ****ing bull****. Might be the worst call I have seen in a key moment in a game in a long time. Total garbage.

uofmman1122
Sigh

ysubigred
That could cost the Griz the game. What are these, MVFC refs??Larry, Moe and Curly refs.. like JMU needs homer ref help 1[emoji37]

KnightoftheRedFlash
FCS refs make the FBS/NFL refs look good.

Scary thought.

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 10th, 2021, 07:59 PM
Back to mute. Mowins' voice ruins games.

Daytripper
Watching JMU fans throw their panty liners at each other...

Bison56
Shocking

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 08:00 PM
That's a TD.

Dewey

Christiank22
Lol JMU players are all such tools.

Daytripper
Cignetti move..

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 10th, 2021, 08:01 PM
This is going to get nasty....xembarrassedx

SeattleCat
December 10th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Griz gotta find some offensive life somewhere or it's curtains.