PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Kelley out as Presbyterian College’s football coach after one season

JacksFan40
December 4th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Well that was quick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thestate.com/sports/college/football/article256337782.html

Kevin Kelley is leaving as Presbyterian College’s football coach after one season: Here’s the school release from Saturday

Presbyterian College is launching a nationwide search for its next head football coach after Kevin Kelley informed the administration that he is stepping down from leading the program for personal reasons.

Kelley, the program’s 16th head coach and fourth since the school’s move to NCAA Division I in 2007, joined PC after spending the last 18 seasons as head coach of Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Ark.

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2021, 12:54 PM
So…he’s punting on this job, huh?

https://i.giphy.com/media/c8bJDVz7i9KRW/giphy.webp

Libertine
December 4th, 2021, 05:13 PM
So…he’s punting on this job, huh?

xlolxxlolx xbowx

kdinva
December 4th, 2021, 06:26 PM
his way will never work in any FCS/FBS/DII/DIII league......maybe at Va. Univ. Lynchbrg

bonarae
December 4th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Meanwhile... PC should be exploring dropping football? xchinscratchx

mvemjsunpx
December 4th, 2021, 06:44 PM
I don't want to call the guy a quitter, but…

It was pretty obvious Kelley was gonna have to build this program to his liking from scratch, and now he bails after one season? xeyebrowx

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Meanwhile... PC should be exploring dropping football? xchinscratchx

Why? The Blue Hose have been playing since 1913.

walliver
December 6th, 2021, 02:33 PM
This is the second time PC has hired outside the box and failed.

I know of a former P5 coordinator who would be a great fit. ;)

Sir William
December 6th, 2021, 02:45 PM

Hey, PC may be bad…but not that desperate. 😆

Libertine
December 6th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Frustratingly, PC has shown the ability to recruit and develop defensive talent and build a bruising defense around them (ie., Justin Bethel, Rock Ya-Sin) but that's just not sexy enough for the fans and, more so, the PC admin. They think a high-flying offense will put butts in the seats (despite PC having a miniscule alumni base and being located an hour from anything) but that's just not going to be them. They've been trying to be Ole Miss Lite for years but -- shocker! -- it's not working.

If there was ever a team that needed to go triple-option, it's PC. In their D1 era (2006-), they've had exactly two QBs with even average passing talent and neither graduated anyway so why not lean into that? Sell the program on wins, not style points.

JacksFan40
December 7th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Frustratingly, PC has shown the ability to recruit and develop defensive talent and build a bruising defense around them (ie., Justin Bethel, Rock Ya-Sin) but that's just not sexy enough for the fans and, more so, the PC admin. They think a high-flying offense will put butts in the seats (despite PC having a miniscule alumni base and being located an hour from anything) but that's just not going to be them. They've been trying to be Ole Miss Lite for years but -- shocker! -- it's not working.

If there was ever a team that needed to go triple-option, it's PC. In their D1 era (2006-), they've had exactly two QBs with even average passing talent and neither graduated anyway so why not lean into that? Sell the program on wins, not style points.
I’ve never understood why more programs don’t use the triple option, especially when you are at a recruiting disadvantage like PC. Granted you’d need a good option coach and those aren’t the easiest to find. Maybe an assistant from one of the service academies?

walliver
December 8th, 2021, 02:51 PM
The problem with the option in 2021 is that very few high schools run that offense and teams have to recruit players from other schemes and teach them the option

PaladinNation
December 8th, 2021, 07:25 PM
I'd go after Chesnut at KSU…

Chesnut was the offensive coordinator, offensive line and strength and conditioning coach at Class AAA Mary Persons from 2007-10. Prior to his stint with the Bulldogs, he served as the defensive line coach at Camden County High School (2005-06), the co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach at Thomasville High School (2002-04) and the offensive line coach at Pickens County High School (1999). Chesnut also was a defensive line coach at Presbyterian College in Clinton, S.C. for two seasons (2000 and 2001), where the Blue Hose went a combined 15-6 (.714).

CockyGeek
December 9th, 2021, 02:55 AM
Call John Grass. He loves to punt.

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2021, 07:29 AM
This is the second time PC has hired outside the box and failed.

They could hire one of the Cole brothers.

McCowboys
December 9th, 2021, 07:30 AM
So sorry about the coach taking a hike, but McNeese can top that! The Cowboys are looking for its 4th head coach (yes, FOURTH!) since 2015, and we also had a coach hit the road after one season.
One was fired for issues which led to a low APR and probation for football for one year; then the one-year guy who preached "La Familia" in South Louisiana LOL; then Frank Wilson who had been fired at FBS UTSA who is leaving for an associate head coaching job at LSU -- who can blame him, right? Now a new nationwide search is on the way for a new one.

It is really sad mostly for the assistant coaches who will now be packing up, looking for a new gig, and moving wives and children again.

Sorry for the interruption. Now back to lamentations for Presbyterian.....

walliver
December 9th, 2021, 09:55 AM
I lived near "Clinnon" for 6 years and kept up with the happenings at "PC College". At that time Wofford and Elon had moved on to I-AA and Furman had stopped their local D-2 games and PC felt left behind. The president at that time embarked on multiple efforts to bring PC to prominence including a party/conference center and gourmet restaurant, neither was successful. The D-I move was rushed. Their goal was the SoCon, but the SoCon had no need for a fourth team in the same market. They hired Bobby Bentley, but he never actually moved to Clinton and seemed more loyal to the high school he coached than his alma mater, and commuted back and forth every day. He got tired of that and took an assistant job at his old high school (now he just gets assistant jobs at whatever college wants to recruit his sons). This last hire was another quick fix.

They need to hire a coach and give him 5 years to build a program, essentially from scratch, and avoid more gimmicks.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2021, 10:12 AM
Part of Presbyterian's issue is the same one affecting Wofford and Lafayette - they are limited in the number of football transfers they can take due to the lack of a graduate school. Wofford solves that by doing the triple option. Holy Cross seems to have found an alternate solution as well. So it appears to not be insurmountable.

- - - Updated - - -

Part of Presbyterian's issue is the same one affecting Wofford and Lafayette - they are limited in the number of football transfers they can take due to the lack of a graduate school. Wofford solves that by doing the triple option. Holy Cross seems to have found an alternate solution as well. So it appears to not be insurmountable.