PDA

View Full Version : Update at Jacksonville State

acbearkat
November 29th, 2021, 11:53 AM
It looks like Rich Rodriguez will be the next head coach at Jacksonville State, according to Football Scoop. If any of you remember, Rodriguez nearly took the Alabama job after Mike Shula was fired, which ultimately led Alabama to hiring Nick Saban.

Sources: Jacksonville State targeting Rich Rod - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-jacksonville-state-targeting-rich-rodriguez)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 29th, 2021, 11:55 AM
RichRod baby!! Wow!

He actually did a solid job at Arizona which was a dumpster fire before him and has regressed to one again since he left. He's a goofy dude but honestly a good coach.....

Daytripper
November 29th, 2021, 12:20 PM
If that is so, that is a great hire by JSU.

Chalupa Batman
November 29th, 2021, 01:25 PM
IIRC he was going to take the Alabama job but he expected to just be offered it, when the Tide wanted him to interview he balked at the idea and stayed at WVU for another season before going to Ann Arbor. I always thought he messed up leaving West Virginia anyway. This is a good hire for both him and JSU.

Libertine
November 29th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Arizona which was a dumpster fire before him and has regressed to one again since he left.

This is simply not true. Dick Tomey and Mike Stoops had solid runs at UA with records and winning percentages very comparable to Rich Rod's from 1987 to 2011. Aside from three disastrous years of John Mackovic in the early 2000's, Arizona wasn't a dumpster fire until Kevin Sumlin came in and tried to turn a team built around defense and ball control into a tempo sprint team despite lacking the players at all to run that kind of offense as well as, it turns out, any ability to recruit those kind of players to Tucscon.

That said, Rich Rod is a solid hire but probably not an ascendant one. His name still carries a lot of cachet from his innovative offenses at WVU and he did do a solid job at Arizona. But, his offense is fairly common today in college football and nothing he did at Michigan suggests he's a universal fit.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2021, 02:25 PM
Rumor is Kevin Sumlin is going to be on staff as well. No idea how much credibility it has.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 29th, 2021, 02:37 PM
This is simply not true. Dick Tomey and Mike Stoops had solid runs at UA with records and winning percentages very comparable to Rich Rod's from 1987 to 2011. Aside from three disastrous years of John Mackovic in the early 2000's, Arizona wasn't a dumpster fire until Kevin Sumlin came in and tried to turn a team built around defense and ball control into a tempo sprint team despite lacking the players at all to run that kind of offense as well as, it turns out, any ability to recruit those kind of players to Tucscon.

That said, Rich Rod is a solid hire but probably not an ascendant one. His name still carries a lot of cachet from his innovative offenses at WVU and he did do a solid job at Arizona. But, his offense is fairly common today in college football and nothing he did at Michigan suggests he's a universal fit.

You totally took my comment out of context. I remember those "Desert Swarm" teams of the early 90's (nearly 30s ago) and that late 90 run when they used two QB's and routed Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl. The next year they were preseason Top 4 and proceeded to get destroyed by Penn State in Happy Valley. They basically disappeared on the national stage until RichRod came about and led them to the 2014 Fiesta Bowl.

Libertine
November 29th, 2021, 02:59 PM
You totally took my comment out of context.

If so, I apologize.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 29th, 2021, 03:07 PM
If so, I apologize.

To be fair I didn't provide any type of evidence to the "casual Arizona football observer" to base judgement on. Even so, RichRod took Arizona football to heights they hadn't seen since the 1990's. While they perhaps weren't a dumpster fire all those season between 1998-2014 they ranged anywhere from "near dumpster fire" to "lost in the desert without much water" for about 15 years. They're currently horrific....

CockyGeek
November 29th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Multiple sources now reporting. Great hire.

dgtw
November 29th, 2021, 04:22 PM
A lot of names were thrown around on the Jax State boards, including his. We could have done a lot worse and I think we got a good coach to lead us into the FBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntxgamecock
November 29th, 2021, 04:33 PM
Now if we can keep him until the carousel stops, I think it will be a great hire. Supposedly meeting with the team tonight with formal announcement tomorrow afternoon.

Daytripper
November 29th, 2021, 04:35 PM
JSU just made CUSA a bit more interesting.

To keep up, when Keeler retires or moves on we are going to hire Kevin Sumlin.

ntxgamecock
November 29th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Rumors on our boards have Rich Rod bringing Sumlin and Kevin Steele as coordinators. I find that hard to believe, but it did apparently come from the same source that named Rich Rod last week.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2021, 05:41 PM
JSU just made CUSA a bit more interesting.

You mean when Keeler goes back where his heart never left

Daytripper
November 29th, 2021, 05:59 PM
You mean when Keeler goes back where his heart never left

But he will be wearing this....

ngineer
November 29th, 2021, 07:09 PM
Good hire for JSU. For a program that wants to be 'ascendant', having a name hire is important. Having someone who knows football is doubly so. However, for how long? If he starts building JSU into a credible FBS force, he will be off to greener pastures quickly.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2021, 08:47 PM
Yeah....

About that.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Rich Rod is official.

https://jsugamecocksports.com/news/2021/11/29/football-jsu-to-introduce-rich-rodriguez-as-head-coach-on-tuesday.aspx

dgtw
November 29th, 2021, 09:34 PM
Good hire for JSU. For a program that wants to be 'ascendant', having a name hire is important. Having someone who knows football is doubly so. However, for how long? If he starts building JSU into a credible FBS force, he will be off to greener pastures quickly.

He will be 59 next year. I don’t know if a big program would want him when he is 63-64 years old.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2021, 10:12 PM
He will be 59 next year. I don’t know if a big program would want him when he is 63-64 years old.

I mean LSU just hired a 60 year old. Saban is 70. It's not unreasonable to think he gets hired away if we come out and dominate CUSA.

Mocs123
November 30th, 2021, 06:06 AM
Nice hire by JSU.

CockyGeek
November 30th, 2021, 09:21 AM
I think we'll see what type of team we have pretty quickly. The first FCS team we face should get punished. If Rich Rod actually plays the best players, keeps the penalties to a minimum, and throws away our playbook, we should be decent in C-USA

JSUSoutherner
December 1st, 2021, 07:21 AM
Rich Rod said we should know most of the staff by Christmas.