PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Playoffs Round 2: Eastern Washington @ #6 Montana

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Game kicks off at 7PM MT on Friday 12/3. I'm gonna guess WaGriz will be cold and loud under the Friday night lights. ;)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51711579480_38ffe0ac82_z.jpg

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:11 PM
Going to be a great night in Missoula!

Grizalltheway
November 27th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Grizzlies by 10, I say.

dudeitsaid
November 28th, 2021, 01:09 AM
EWU takes on another defensive stalwart. No doubt UM will be very motivated by the revenge/rivalry elements of the game. They will be rested, focused, and it's on their home turf. This is going to be a very challenging game for the Eagles to win. Eastern's offense has become more pedestrian of late, and special teams continue to be an enormous liability. But the defense has improved, and if the offense can get in rhythm, I like Eastern's chances. If the offense plays the way it did today, I think UM will win.

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 06:31 AM
I think Montana wins the rematch. They can play defense like UNI, their offense is better than UNI, and EWU's special teams are atrocious right now which is Bobby's specialty.

Red & Black
November 28th, 2021, 06:45 AM
Yeah, but how cold and loud will it be? That’s what I really want to know.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 06:48 AM
Montana at home

Look forward too seeing a high energy crowd watching an FCS game, not that common

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 06:54 AM
Montana at home

Look forward too seeing a high energy crowd watching an FCS game, not that common

Being a Friday night game should make it more high energy than usual too.

mvemjsunpx
November 28th, 2021, 06:59 AM
I think Montana wins the rematch. They can play defense like UNI, their offense is better than UNI, and EWU's special teams are atrocious right now which is Bobby's specialty.

It is? xeyebrowx

The Griz have only scored 1 offensive touchdown in each of the last 2 games.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 07:01 AM
Being a Friday night game should make it more high energy than usual too.

Yep, nothing like spending a Friday night in Montana with a few thousand lit co-eds....

The Cats
November 28th, 2021, 07:48 AM
voted - Montana

kalm
November 28th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Toss up with no great mysteries.

Griz: home field, special teams, defense, red zone D, 3rd down D efficiency.

EWU: turnover margin, up tempo offense, redzone O efficiency, 3rd down efficiency O

Tough to use the first game as Montana’s D was shredded in the 1st and 4th quarters but absolutely locked ESU down in between. EWU has become a rhythm offense that struggles when things get slowed down.

EWU’s defense has given up 16 ppg over the last 4. It’s opportunistic and solid in the red zone. The front 7 has been playing really well and weren’t pushed around by that massive UNI line. The corners are the weakest group.

Montana’s offense should be more healthy and I’d expect more output.

EWU’s special teams are a huge liability not just in missed FG’s but in return return yardage.

Red & Black
November 28th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Toss up with no great mysteries.

Griz: home field, special teams, defense, red zone D, 3rd down D efficiency.

EWU: turnover margin, up tempo offense, redzone O efficiency, 3rd down efficiency O

Tough to use the first game as Montana’s D was shredded in the 1st and 4th quarters but absolutely locked ESU down in between. EWU has become a rhythm offense that struggles when things get slowed down.

EWU’s defense has given up 16 ppg over the last 4. It’s opportunistic and solid in the red zone. The front 7 has been playing really well and weren’t pushed around by that massive UNI line. The corners are the weakest group.

Montana’s offense should be more healthy and I’d expect more output.

EWU’s special teams are a huge liability not just in missed FG’s but in return return yardage.

To your point on the offense...absolutely accurate with this crew. Lots of points left on the field yesterday. I partly chalk that up to a good UNI defense, but EWU's offence just seemed out of rhythm for most of the game. I was just waiting for us to pull away in the second half and it never really happened.

That said, when they're "on", they can score lots of points on anyone.

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2021, 09:35 AM
It is? xeyebrowx

Probably not much better, but they did move the ball pretty well against MSU before stalling out and settling for FGs.

uofmman1122
November 28th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Nervous about this one, but the defense keeps proving me wrong.

EWU's run game late in the 4th really doomed us in the last game, and if it wasn't for the kickoff return touchdown, the game wouldn't have been as close as it ended up.

If we can shut down the run game and actually get ours going (like in the 2019 game), I like our chances.

One thing is for sure, both teams feel they have something to prove against the other, so it should be fierce, no matter what.

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 02:14 PM
It is? xeyebrowx

Only by default! xlolx

putter
November 28th, 2021, 03:34 PM
Will be a battle. Want to see if Eastern keeps a back in to protect EB. Worked in the second half of the first game. I liked how MSU sat on the ball more to limit Easterns chances. Would like see Montana do that

kalm
November 28th, 2021, 03:44 PM
Will be a battle. Want to see if Eastern keeps a back in to protect EB. Worked in the second half of the first game. I liked how MSU sat on the ball more to limit Easterns chances. Would like see Montana do that

we’ve been doing it most of the time since. Starting to see some 2-3 back formations and pitch options since MCCann has taken over at OC.

Roamingriz
November 28th, 2021, 04:56 PM
I hope there is at least 17k there for the game and enough offense to spell the d. It doesn't take a whole lot. And a pick or return td under the tree.

Roamingriz
November 28th, 2021, 04:58 PM
It does take away a whole offensive series when it happens and statistically takes away from the offense looking better than it does, but I'll take every one of those st and defense tds

mvemjsunpx
November 28th, 2021, 05:26 PM
Probably not much better, but they did move the ball pretty well against MSU before stalling out and settling for FGs.

This was true in the first half. The Griz only had 57 yards in the second half, though.

mvemjsunpx
November 28th, 2021, 05:28 PM
EWU's run game late in the 4th really doomed us in the last game, and if it wasn't for the kickoff return touchdown, the game wouldn't have been as close as it ended up.

Weird stat: Malik Flowers only has 1 kick return since that game.

uofmman1122
November 28th, 2021, 07:15 PM
Weird stat: Malik Flowers only has 1 kick return since that game.
He's only had like 2 chances to field a kick since then, and Graves took one of them right from him last weekend. lol

I would imagine Eastern would rather kick it out of bounds every time than let him touch it again.

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2021, 07:28 PM
Montana opens as a 3.5 point favorite on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php) with an O/U of 59.

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2021, 09:01 AM
Home team wins

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2021, 09:28 AM
I think Montana's defense carries them to a win but I'd kinda like to see EWU and SLU both upset the seeded teams in this quadrant of the bracket. Then we'd get a quarterfinal with an O/U of 120.

100%GRIZ
November 29th, 2021, 10:21 AM
I think Montana's defense carries them to a win but I'd kinda like to see EWU and SLU both upset the seeded teams in this quadrant of the bracket. Then we'd get a quarterfinal with an O/U of 120.
And the same could be SAID but only in REVERSE! Go Griz!

kalm
November 29th, 2021, 10:23 AM

No outcome would surprise me but you could make a similar argument for our defense who just held UNI to less points than any Valley team did and also Iowa State.

I’m honestly most concerned about our offense and special teams. But Pat MCCann seems to be an improvement at play calling. We were conservative against UNI but that may have been due to their D and how the game played out.

fencer24
November 29th, 2021, 03:30 PM
It is? xeyebrowx

Who cares if the D and the ST both score 3 or more TDs.

putter
November 30th, 2021, 10:47 AM
I never understood discounting defensive and ST scoring. Montana's offense has not been great all year yet here we are. Bobby has always had special teams running at a high level and I hope it shines again in this game. It is always interesting to see how teams will attack each other in a second meeting but I think having Robertson back at safety will be an advantage. Eastern made a couple of big plays against Graves and I don't think Robertson will be out of position.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2021, 01:55 PM
I never understood discounting defensive and ST scoring. Montana's offense has not been great all year yet here we are. Bobby has always had special teams running at a high level and I hope it shines again in this game. It is always interesting to see how teams will attack each other in a second meeting but I think having Robertson back at safety will be an advantage. Eastern made a couple of big plays against Graves and I don't think Robertson will be out of position.
I certainly don't discount them, just wary of relying on them. Especially against teams like Eastern.

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2021, 07:27 PM
Rematches usually favor the better defenses, at least in the experience I've seen re: Griz in the playoffs.

2004:
We got boatraced in Huntsville 41-29 early in the season, and then held the Bearkats to 14 points in the rematch.

2005:
We ran it down Cal Poly's throats 36-27 and then got bottled up 35-21 by their FCS-leading defense in the rematch, both in Missoula.

2008:
Got boatraced again 45-28 by Weber and then held them to 13 points in the rematch.

2014:
The only example where the same team won both games with similar scores 36-26 EWU and 37-20 EWU, but the Griz D played better in the rematch and lost due to 3 awful turnovers. Also the only one except the 2005 Poly rematch that was at the same place both times.

2019:
We kicked the **** out of #3 Weber at home 35-16, and despite being held to 113 total yards, their stingy defense forced 5 Dalton Sneed INTs in the rematch and won 17-10.

Lots of things are different this season, and the Eagle's offense still scares the **** out of me, but the Griz defense has been steadily improving at the end of this season.

It'll come down to whether our anemic offense can get the job done, or not. We had 6 three-and-outs and two interceptions in the first game, which will likely lose us the rematch if it happens again.

Chalupa Batman
November 30th, 2021, 11:28 PM
Rewatching the Brawl on Youtube and saw that Humphrey left after the 3rd quarter, looked like he hurt his throwing hand. Is he expected to be fully healthy this game?

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2021, 11:52 PM
Rewatching the Brawl on Youtube and saw that Humphrey left after the 3rd quarter, looked like he hurt his throwing hand. Is he expected to be fully healthy this game?
He hit it on a cat player's helmet and (reportedly) couldn't hold onto the ball very well.

That same hand was helping to hoist the trophy after the game, so I think it'll be fine.

I'm much more worried about his ankle. He hasn't had a game where he wasn't limping (and sometimes badly) since he's come back. But allegedly Barriere also messed his ankle up in the UNI win, so there might be two hobbled QBs in this one.

WeAreThePride
December 1st, 2021, 06:03 AM
Man, looking at the bracket from EWU's perspective I can't imagine a much more stacked path to Frisco.

UNI
Montana
Likely JMU
Good chance NDSU

I feel for you guys.

100%GRIZ
December 1st, 2021, 10:42 AM
I hope there is at least 17k there for the game and enough offense to spell the d. It doesn't take a whole lot. And a pick or return td under the tree.
Over 19,000 now!

100%GRIZ
December 1st, 2021, 10:44 AM
Man, looking at the bracket from EWU's perspective I can't imagine a much more stacked path to Frisco.

UNI
Montana
Likely JMU
Good chance NDSU

I feel for you guys.

I predict Montana has home field throughout like 1995 Championship Run!

nevadagriz
December 1st, 2021, 05:04 PM
All I want for my Birthday Friday is 3 offensive TDs by the Griz. Two turnovers forced and a victory ( dont care about marigin).
Is that too much to ask??

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2021, 06:07 PM
Rematches usually favor the better defenses, at least in the experience I've seen re: Griz in the playoffs.

2004:
We got boatraced in Huntsville 41-29 early in the season, and then held the Bearkats to 14 points in the rematch.

2005:
We ran it down Cal Poly's throats 36-27 and then got bottled up 35-21 by their FCS-leading defense in the rematch, both in Missoula.

2008:
Got boatraced again 45-28 by Weber and then held them to 13 points in the rematch.

2014:
The only example where the same team won both games with similar scores 36-26 EWU and 37-20 EWU, but the Griz D played better in the rematch and lost due to 3 awful turnovers. Also the only one except the 2005 Poly rematch that was at the same place both times.

2019:
We kicked the **** out of #3 Weber at home 35-16, and despite being held to 113 total yards, their stingy defense forced 5 Dalton Sneed INTs in the rematch and won 17-10.

Lots of things are different this season, and the Eagle's offense still scares the **** out of me, but the Griz defense has been steadily improving at the end of this season.

It'll come down to whether our anemic offense can get the job done, or not. We had 6 three-and-outs and two interceptions in the first game, which will likely lose us the rematch if it happens again.

2015 - Griz win the season opener over NDSU 38-35, lose in the playoffs 37-6.

Katfan
December 1st, 2021, 07:19 PM

2004:

2005:

2008:

2014:

2019:

In fairness to the Sam 2004 squad that game was played in a blizzard had it been in Huntsville the result would have been the same! That’s the importance of home field!

Live4Griz
December 1st, 2021, 08:03 PM
In fairness to the Sam 2004 squad that game was played in a blizzard had it been in Huntsville the result would have been the same! That’s the importance of home field!

Are you sure about the blizzard? I seem to remember it was a relatively warm day for Montana in December. In the 50’s I believe.

Katfan
December 1st, 2021, 08:25 PM
Are you sure about the blizzard? I seem to remember it was a relatively warm day for Montana in December. In the 50’s I believe.
It was a white out!

Live4Griz
December 1st, 2021, 08:56 PM
It was a white out!

It’s been 17 years since that game but I sure don’t remember snow/blizzard at that game.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2021, 10:08 PM
It’s been 17 years since that game but I sure don’t remember snow/blizzard at that game.
I think you're being gaslighted.xlolx

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/KMSO/date/2004-12-11

uofmman1122
December 1st, 2021, 10:58 PM
It was a high of 54° that day, what are you talking about? lmao

uofmman1122
December 1st, 2021, 10:59 PM
2015 - Griz win the season opener over NDSU 38-35, lose in the playoffs 37-6.
I like to block that rematch out of my memory (for obvious reasons). lmao

My bad. xembarrassedx

Katfan
December 2nd, 2021, 07:24 AM
It was a high of 54° that day, what are you talking about? lmao
You’re correct I was thinking of a different game but your d came up with a bunch of turnovers and sacks in that game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2021, 07:24 AM
I like to block that rematch out of my memory (for obvious reasons). lmao

My bad. xembarrassedx

Wish I would have gone to that opener....xmadx

What a great college FB atmosphere....from TV anyway. I'm sure in person it was even better!

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2021, 03:48 PM
Wish I would have gone to that opener....xmadx

What a great college FB atmosphere....from TV anyway. I'm sure in person it was even better!
I was there. The place smelled like ash. Inside joke. It is a cool place to watch a game. Maybe the best atmosphere in FCS.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 08:11 PM
Griz up fast on EWU. 7-0 early. Looks like a great atmosphere.

grizband
December 3rd, 2021, 08:15 PM
EWU answers... Griz don't want a track meet here

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 08:15 PM
LOL. 5 minutes in. 7-7.

HootyHoo
December 3rd, 2021, 08:21 PM
This is going to be awesome.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:34 PM
Wow nice one handed catch for the TD.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 08:42 PM
Montana has given up 14 points in the 1st quarter already. The Grizzlies defense better find a way to slow down EWU.

Dewey

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 08:45 PM
I have always been amazed at the skill players EWU gets on offense year after year. It has never made sense to me given, well, it is EWU in Cheney, WA.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 09:06 PM
What do you guys think of those targeting calls that went Montanas way.

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2021, 09:08 PM
What do you guys think of those targeting calls that went Montanas way.Sucks.. mine as well make college football two hand tap..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 09:09 PM
Special teams equalizer right there

HootyHoo
December 3rd, 2021, 09:11 PM

Hooty would say the second was definitely targeting.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 09:13 PM

I thought the 1st one might be targeting. I didn't think the 2nd one was been the targeting is SOOOOO subjective.

I am glad they were both not called as targeting.

Dewey

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 09:14 PM
Hooty would say the second was definitely targeting.
I thought the second one was close. It was helmet to helmet but their angles weren’t real good. I didn’t think the first one was even close to a targeting. It looked to me like the helmet hit the guy below the shoulder. I can’t make heads or tails out of that rule. In any event neither targeting went against Montana.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
I thought the second one was close. It was helmet to helmet but their angles weren’t real good. I didn’t think the first one was even close to a targeting. It looked to me like the helmet hit the guy below the shoulder. I can’t make heads or tails out of that rule. In any event neither targeting went against Montana.

Completely agree!

Dewey

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 09:17 PM
Special teams are killing EWU now.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 09:19 PM
Big stop by EWU!

Dewey

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 09:28 PM
That punter from Montana has a big leg.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 09:30 PM
This is going to be a heck of a game in the 2nd half.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 09:32 PM
Looks like Montana's getting chippy and Barriere is just laughing at them

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:34 PM
Going to be locked into the second half of this one! Already had one great game tonight. This one should provide a few more fireworks....

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:58 PM

Chalupa, have no fear Gumby is here.... haha

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 10:03 PM
Big sack! Griz going to get the ball back....

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2021, 10:05 PM
MT has to pressure the qb.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 10:05 PM
Wow! Talk about a crazy 30 seconds! Griz can go up 2 possessions...

Catbooster
December 3rd, 2021, 10:09 PM
EWU guy should have wrapped him up instead of just diving at his legs

Special teams is the main difference in this game

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2021, 10:19 PM
OVC officials not having the best night...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 10:20 PM
That looked like a blatant tripping attempt....

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:22 PM
That looked like a blatant tripping attempt....

Oh it certainly was. EB made Hauck look silly.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:23 PM
Huge false start by the LT for EWU.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:23 PM
God I hate this zoomed in camera crap.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:24 PM
Dumb mistake by the MT DE.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:28 PM
The speed of this game is dizzying

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 10:31 PM
OVC officials not having the best night...

Both games tonight have had pretty bad officiating

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:32 PM
Hard to believe the over/under line was at 59.5xlolx

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 10:33 PM
Hard to believe the over/under line was at 59.5xlolx

Dewey

Well the 1st game was 62 total.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:34 PM
Boy this game has it all.

Dewey

putter
December 3rd, 2021, 10:37 PM
OVC, you can keep your officials

Bison56
December 3rd, 2021, 10:38 PM
Boneheaded play.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:39 PM
Wow! What a HUGE mistake by EB! That was a fumble. The DE that wrapped up EB was even held before getting to EB.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 10:39 PM
OMG Barriere xoopsx

Might be too big a hill to climb for the Eagles now

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:40 PM

Im laughing right now

that was stupid

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:40 PM
OMG Barriere xoopsx

Might be too big a hill to climb for the Eagles now

With the way EWU can score I think there is a LOT of game left.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:41 PM
Same old defense for E Washington and it’s not even 4th quarter yet

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 10:42 PM
With the way EWU can score I think there is a LOT of game left.

Dewey

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't think this time they have it. Barriere is toughing it out but he's hurt

Edit: lol and just like that Jones drops a TD

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2021, 10:43 PM
god I wish we had Montana’s stadium. I enjoy watching Montana home games more than any other FCS program outside of UNH.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:43 PM
Oh are you kidding that was 6

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:45 PM
Big drop by EWU's Jones.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:45 PM
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't think this time they have it. Barriere is toughing it out but he's hurt

Edit: lol and just like that Jones drops a TD

the D is doing what E Washington D is known for

Bison56
December 3rd, 2021, 10:46 PM
My God these refs.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:46 PM
god I wish we had Montana’s stadium. I enjoy watching Montana home games more than any other FCS program outside of UNH.

Kudos to the MT fans too. They bring it.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:47 PM
the D is doing what E Washington D is known for

Said by no one EVER!

Cue....Ursus and the "No one ever" poster.

Dewey

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2021, 10:48 PM
Yeah…it does kinda max out the Envy Meter.

Doubt the Griz will be losing kids to the portal who are just drooling to play in empty stadiums on Tuesday nights for some directional school located in some backwater oil spot on the Interstate because they have a “B” instead of a “C” in their Subdivision name…as FUBeAR believes we are already starting to see in the South.

Bison56
EW lucky to recover that fumble.

Chalupa Batman
Wow, Montana tried scooping and scoring and the Eagles recover for a 1st down!

Whoops, just short

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:49 PM
Jesus EWU RB with a fumble but is scooped up by EWU.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:51 PM
Now the EWU right TE jumps.

Another HUGE 4th and short penalty by EWU.

The Eagles can't get out of their own way.

Dewey

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2021, 10:51 PM
Big Fluffy Football is WAC.. I finished War and Peace while the 3rd quarter has progressed..

[emoji15]

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 10:52 PM
Montana's given up 27 4th quarter points all year? 24 of those were to the Eagles in the 1st matchup

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:53 PM
Montana got the mojo going on

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2021, 10:55 PM
Im laughing right now

that was stupidEWU's QB is a bit whiney...

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:55 PM
Montana's given up 27 4th quarter points all year? 24 of those were to the Eagles in the 1st matchup

interesting stat but Montana will get the ball too

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:56 PM

That isn't right. I looked at every game and this is what I saw.
7 to Cal Poly in the 4th.
24 to EWU in the 4th.
14 to Dixie State in the 4th.
7 to Idaho in the 4th.
7 to Montana State in the 4th.

Another bad stat by ESPN.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 10:57 PM
That isn't right.
7 to Cal Poly in the 4th.
24 to EWU in the 4th.
14 to Dixie State in the 4th.
7 to Idaho in the 4th.
7 to Montana State in the 4th.

Another bad stat by ESPN.

Dewey

We should know better than to expect ESPN to have accurate stats for FCS

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:58 PM
EB has thrown 49 times already! Now 50 after the 2nd down throw.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 10:59 PM
We should know better than to expect ESPN to have accurate stats for FCS

I chuckled earlier when ESPN said no one has been to more FCS title games than Montana who has been to 7.

Facts. Sometimes they are hard.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 11:00 PM
EWU needs a big play. This ain't gonna cut it...

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:01 PM
EWU LT had a nice hold. Also the RT.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:02 PM
EWU needs a big play. This ain't gonna cut it...

That drop by Jones earlier was HUGE! That would have been 6.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
That likely does it....

ysubigred
EB has thrown 49 times already! Now 50 after the 2nd down throw.

DeweyWatching him throw is hard to watch.. he's not looking healthy..

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:03 PM
Watching him throw is hard to watch.. he's not looking healthy..

Agreed. He is certainly dinged up.

Another playoff game where EWU looks good in the 1st half and then gets drug to the woodshed and beaten down.

Dewey

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2021, 11:06 PM
Agreed. He is certainly dinged up.

Another playoff game where EWU looks good in the 1st half and then gets drug to the woodshed and beaten down.

DeweyYes sir.. cash in some of that WR talent for some defense..

Bison56
December 3rd, 2021, 11:07 PM
Game

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 11:08 PM
The Griz have officially opened a can on EWU....

Montana at JMU...fingers crossed....

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:09 PM
TOUCHDOWN GRIZ!

James Madison should be VERY concerned about a potential matchup next week with the Grizzlies.

Going for 2 up by 22?

Dewey

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2021, 11:10 PM
Just checked in on this game on ESPN+...and, well, Montana seems to be real. Also, really good to see a full stadium with engaged fans in an FCS game.

putter
December 3rd, 2021, 11:10 PM
Not jinxing it yet …. They can score quickly

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:11 PM
Not jinxing it yet …. They can score quickly

Cue the fat lady. This one is over.

Good to see Montana back!

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 11:12 PM
TOUCHDOWN GRIZ!

James Madison should be VERY concerned about a potential matchup next week with the Grizzlies.

Going for 2 up by 22?

Dewey

Knowing Bobby Hauck it's only because they wouldn't let him go for 3

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:14 PM

LOL!

I really hope to see MT beat James Madison and come to Fargo for a national semifinal game.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 11:14 PM

lol....isn't there a famous college coach who said that? Jimmy Johnson or someone? The reason he went for 2 is because he couldn't go for 3? or something like that....

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 11:15 PM
Montana at home

This is the greatest venue for FCS and a great game as well

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2021, 11:19 PM
This is the greatest venue for FCS and a great game as well

If you've never been I suggest you go! Montana State is really fun too! The stadium design isn't quite as conducive to the aesthetic/"theater" aspect, but the atmosphere is still legit...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 11:20 PM
lol....isn't there a famous college coach who said that? Jimmy Johnson or someone? The reason he went for 2 is because he couldn't go for 3? or something like that....

It's said that Woody Hayes said that after a Michigan game they won 50-14, but it sounds like he really didn't say it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OhioStateFootball/comments/9y6j0h/because_i_couldnt_go_for_three/

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2021, 11:21 PM
Barriere is a warrior. No matter how this ends.

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2021, 11:27 PM
Helluva catch.

- - - Updated - - -

Helluva catch.

Maybe not...

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:29 PM
Barriere is a warrior. No matter how this ends.

Agreed.

Dewey

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2021, 11:30 PM
If you've never been I suggest you go! Montana State is really fun too! The stadium design isn't quite as conducive to the aesthetic/"theater" aspect, but the atmosphere is still legit...

They are still working on closing off the north endzone with seats/a building. As well as increasing pressbox on all sides of the stadium. It's going to be even better in a few years. A buddy of mine went to MSU and sends me snaps during games.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:35 PM
EB has now thrown 68 passes. Wow! EB is 5th in FCS all time in passing touchdowns.

He should win the Payton!

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:36 PM
EWU WR Jones is having a HUGE game too.

Dewey

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2021, 11:37 PM
EB has now thrown 68 passes. Wow!

Dewey

What makes him special is that he is so very accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that post didn't age well....

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:37 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that post didn't age well....

Agreed. Except the pick 6 to the MT DB:-)

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 11:38 PM
EB has now thrown 68 passes. Wow! EB is 5th in FCS all time in passing touchdowns.

Dewey

I kinda feel for him, rough way to end his career. Dude is a gamer but he didn't have much help tonight.

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2021, 11:38 PM
This lack of defense by EWU should be a warning to Southeastern Louisiana... You can win it all without defense.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:40 PM
I kinda feel for him, rough way to end his career. Dude is a gamer but he didn't have much help tonight.

Those false diary penalties (2) on 4th and short were HUGE! Plus the blocked punt. Probably more that I am missing.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
They are still working on closing off the north endzone with seats/a building. As well as increasing pressbox on all sides of the stadium. It's going to be even better in a few years. A buddy of mine went to MSU and sends me snaps during games.

I knew they were adding the fieldhouse to the north endzone; didn't know about the other projects. Figured Montana State would be "keeping up with the Griz"; relatively speaking! Bozeman has become such a wealthy small city and Montana State is a hip school nationally. I'm interested to see where city and institution are in 10 years....

Great to have the Griz back in contention! The Big Sky has had a helluva season overall....

dewey
This lack of defense by EWU should be a warning to Southeastern Louisiana... You can win it all without defense.

Can or can't?

Dewey

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2021, 11:41 PM
Can't...typo.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 11:42 PM

Hence my 51-31 prediction for tomorrow. Rooting for a good game but that's what I see.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:44 PM
My guess for this game was 38-35 MT.

I had half of it rightxlolx

Dewey

ElCid
December 3rd, 2021, 11:46 PM

Dewey

Or not.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 11:47 PM

Dewey

You were half right. I'm happy Barriere at least gets to end his career with a TD.

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:48 PM
EWU EB is 47-80 for 530 yards, 5 TD's and 1 pick. WOW!

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2021, 11:50 PM
That was a hell of a game!

Hopefully the Griz beat James Madison and come to Fargo in 2 weeks.

Dewey

katss07
December 3rd, 2021, 11:56 PM
Congrats to Montana! Looked like an awesome environment in Missoula. Hope they can beat JMU next week if that matchup happens.

Utgrizfan
December 3rd, 2021, 11:57 PM
Was a great game, I won't lie though in a little bit miffed at the officiating. Fourteen Points were basically given to ewu with that stupid roughing the kicker call when he was clearly pushed into him and that no catch in the end zone. Not to mention ignoring all the holding the Eagles offensive line was doing, regardless glad we got the win and hoping for SE Louisiana to get the upset for another home game

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2021, 12:17 AM
Was a great game, I won't lie though in a little bit miffed at the officiating. Fourteen Points were basically given to ewu with that stupid roughing the kicker call when he was clearly pushed into him and that no catch in the end zone. Not to mention ignoring all the holding the Eagles offensive line was doing, regardless glad we got the win and hoping for SE Louisiana to get the upset for another home game

To be fair, pretty much every team gets away with holding every game. They really only call it when someone runs by a defender. who has his jersey being ripped off.

Born Rabbit Fan
December 4th, 2021, 12:20 AM
I cannot say i have seen a LOT of either one, but from what i have seen, i will take E Schmid from SHSU over EB. it appeared to me that Schmid is the far FAR more accurate passer. appears he does much more quarterbacking his team, rather than just looking to heave the ball deep as often as possible. i would also take the SHSU receivers

mvemjsunpx
December 4th, 2021, 02:08 AM
To be fair, pretty much every team gets away with holding every game. They really only call it when someone runs by a defender. who has his jersey being ripped off.

The refs in this game clearly didn't want to call anything on anybody. xchinscratchx

Catbooster
December 4th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Congrats Griz. Hopefully the rest of the Big Sky teams will do as well this round

Also - Go SLU and UIW.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2021, 11:42 AM
I cannot say i have seen a LOT of either one, but from what i have seen, i will take E Schmid from SHSU over EB. it appeared to me that Schmid is the far FAR more accurate passer. appears he does much more quarterbacking his team, rather than just looking to heave the ball deep as often as possible. i would also take the SHSU receivers
Yea. Not so sure about that. Montana is a pretty good defensive football team and EWU dropped 40+ on them. I hate playing EWU. They are like a bunch of school kids running around and drawing up plays in the dirt. You never feel real safe but the fact that they can’t seem to field a defense will always keep the other team in the game.

Born Rabbit Fan
December 4th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Yea. Not so sure about that. Montana is a pretty good defensive football team and EWU dropped 40+ on them. I hate playing EWU. They are like a bunch of school kids running around and drawing up plays in the dirt. You never feel real safe but the fact that they can’t seem to field a defense will always keep the other team in the game.

yes they did put up 40 on montana AT montana. AT home against UNI, however, they put up a measly 19. i guess i have to admit again i have only seen about two games from either of them, but i just do not remember Schmid looking like he was just heaving the ball down the field and hoping his receiver would make a play. also in the 3rd Q last night. he had a guy open by easily 10 yards and he missed him by at least 5 yards

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 12:50 PM

great analogy on Eastern Washington, loved drawing up plays in the dirt

WeAreThePride
December 4th, 2021, 02:12 PM
Well I don't know what I expected out of this game, but these results sure as hell weren't it.

Damn, what a game. What a final score!

- - - Updated - - -

EWU EB is 47-80 for 530 yards, 5 TD's and 1 pick. WOW!

Dewey
Are you serious? He actually had 80 pass attempts?

That's got to be approaching a D1 record...

WeAreThePride
December 4th, 2021, 02:13 PM
It appears a Washington State QB attempted 89 passes in one game in 2013.

Holy Hannah.

SeattleCat
December 4th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Montana has a good D no doubt, but they blitz 90% of the time, if you can pick up the blitz and pass quickly you can mitigate a lot of the pressure they dole out.

SeattleCat
December 4th, 2021, 02:35 PM
How did that work out for Eastern? Or you guys, for that matter.
Did we even try to pass? or run head first into 8 guys game? If Eastern had a defense that game could have gone differently, EB went Madden. Not knocking the griz, but there are certainly ways to beat a blitz heavy team.

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Did we even try to pass? or run head first into 8 guys game? If Eastern had a defense that game could have gone differently, EB went Madden. Not knocking the griz, but there are certainly ways to beat a blitz heavy team.
You make it sound so easy, and yet the best offense in the FCS couldn't get it done last night. xcoffeex

SeattleCat
December 4th, 2021, 02:51 PM
You make it sound so easy, and yet the best offense in the FCS couldn't get it done last night. xcoffeex
They scored 41 points, if they had a decent defense you guys don't score 57, and its a different game. nowhere did I say its easy, you make it sound like giving up 41 will never be enough points to beat the griz.xcoffeex

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2021, 02:54 PM
They scored 41 points, if they had a decent defense you guys don't score 57, and its a different game. nowhere did I say its easy, you make it sound like giving up 41 will never be enough points to beat the griz.xcoffeex
Sure wasn't last night lmao

SeattleCat
December 4th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Sure wasn't last night lmao
Which is super impressive, you guys had a helluva game last night.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2021, 03:56 PM

EWU are the only team to score more than 30 on us this season. Do you think there's a team left in the playoffs with a better offense than them?

SeattleCat
December 4th, 2021, 04:06 PM
EWU are the only team to score more than 30 on us this season. Do you think there's a team left in the playoffs with a better offense than them?
I think there's a few good offenses with really good defenses left. I think the griz are one of them.

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 04:14 PM

Probably none. But there are teams with offenses almost as good with defenses that are waaaaay better than EWU’s. Your opponent next week comes to mind.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Probably none. But there are teams with offenses almost as good with defenses that are waaaaay better than EWU’s. Your opponent next week comes to mind.
It'll be a tall task for sure, but Hauck has pulled it off before.