PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Names for Jacksonville State Head Coach

acbearkat
November 24th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Football Scoop is reporting that Major Applewhite, a former University of Texas quarterback and assistant, and former head coach at the University of Houston, and current offensive coordinator at South Alabama, is interested. Applewhite was also a part of Nick Saban's initial staff at Alabama.

Preparing for FBS membership, Jacksonville State job drawing national interest - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/jacksonville-state-candidates)

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2021, 10:52 AM
This was a name somebody pulled out of their ass on our message board. If he's truly interested, they might give it to him. Somebody without JSU connections might be good for us. He needs to do a clean sweep of the coaching staff, though.

Daytripper
November 24th, 2021, 10:54 AM
Football Scoop is reporting that Major Applewhite, a former University of Texas quarterback and assistant, and former head coach at the University of Houston, and current offensive coordinator at South Alabama, is interested. Applewhite was also a part of Nick Saban's initial staff at Alabama.

Preparing for FBS membership, Jacksonville State job drawing national interest - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/jacksonville-state-candidates)

Gamecock fans will be severely disappointed with Applewhite. He may be a decent coordinator but his stint as UH head coach was brutal.

acbearkat
November 24th, 2021, 11:17 AM
There is a glaring error in the article. It says Major Applewhite was a "national-championship winning quarterback". I don't think Major Applewhite was even on staff of the 2005 national championship team, unless he was a graduate assistant.

Cocky
November 24th, 2021, 11:20 AM
The list doesnt add much excitement to the program

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2021, 11:24 AM
Of the people on that list, I would want Kevin Steele.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Of the people on that list, I would want Kevin Steele.
Are you sure?

You know he played @ Furman, right?

Daytripper
November 24th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Dan Mullen is available.

dgtw
November 24th, 2021, 12:16 PM
There is a glaring error in the article. It says Major Applewhite was a "national-championship winning quarterback". I don't think Major Applewhite was even on staff of the 2005 national championship team, unless he was a graduate assistant.

He was an analyst for Alabama last year. Not sure if his analyzing played a big role in their championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acbearkat
November 24th, 2021, 12:17 PM
He was an analyst for Alabama last year. Not sure if his analyzing played a big role in their championship.

It says he was a national championship winning quarterback at Texas. That was in 2005.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Are you sure?

You know he played @ Furman, right?
Ok? And? His defenses at Auburn were top notch. Despite playing for the idiot known as Malzahn.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 12:25 PM
Ok? And? His defenses at Auburn were top notch. Despite playing for the idiot known as Malzahn.
Just thought you might view him as too tainted for JSU by having prior association with Furman.

dgtw
November 24th, 2021, 12:31 PM
He was an GA at Texas 2003-4. Then he left and Texas won the championship the very next year.

He was OC at Alabama in 2007, Saban’s first (and worst) season there.

He only lasted two years at Houston and went 15-11, including a loss in the bowl game after Herman bailed. Not great, but not horrible. Wonder if there was more to it.

I think we can do better.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Just thought you might view him as too tainted for JSU by having prior association with Furman.

#$&+ Furman and their extra second.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 12:53 PM
#$&+ Furman and their extra second.
15 years is too soon, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2021, 01:24 PM
That was my very first home game as a student. Permanently etched into my brain.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 02:12 PM
That was my very first home game as a student. Permanently etched into my brain.
FUBeAR was in attendance as well, along with several old Paladin Teammates. We were surprised at how close the sidelines were to one portal under the stands…with no barriers between the portal entrance and the Team…so, of course, as we were walking by, FUBeAR was obligated to give his Placekicker Teammate, wearing all of his FU regalia, a hearty OLman’s shove thru the portal and right into the Jax State Players on the sidelines. He stumbled into several of them. They were not particularly welcoming.

Fun game. Haven’t been back though. Maybe some Tues or Wed night in the future, FUBeAR will cruise over to watch the Cocks tangle with their arch rivals, the Aggies of New Mexico State.

Libertine
November 25th, 2021, 06:48 PM
Mike MacIntyre is a pretty good coach and had a solid run going at San Jose State and then Colorado before the reality of being Colorado set in.

ngineer
November 25th, 2021, 08:44 PM
John Garrett is available!!! To paraphrase Jim Croce, "He's gotta name"...xlolx

TSUalum05
November 25th, 2021, 09:27 PM
Gamecock fans will be severely disappointed with Applewhite. He may be a decent coordinator but his stint as UH head coach was brutal.

I know several guys who played for Applewhite at UH and what was explained to me is that he was universally hated by all players because of his of integrity.

ngineer
November 25th, 2021, 09:39 PM
I know several guys who played for Applewhite at UH and what was explained to me is that he was universally hated by all players because of his of integrity.

...or lack thereof??? If "because" then we have indeed lost it.