PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Playoffs Round 1: UT Martin @ Missouri State

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2021, 02:07 PM
Game kicks off at 3PM CT on 11/27. Winner goes to #8 Montana State.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51695669236_0e982a7dfe_z.jpg

Who ya got?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2021, 02:09 PM
Haven't watched UT-Martin so just going with the Valley team. Bears are a handful offensively for any defense.

JacksFan40
November 21st, 2021, 02:15 PM
Hope the Bears come out strong and represent the MVFC well.

Bearvision
November 21st, 2021, 03:23 PM
This would be one of the bigger upsets of the first round if UT-Martin pulled it off. Hopefully, Missouri State uses being robbed of a national seed as motivation and not feeling disappointed.

I'll be there to watch my first in-person FCS playoff game.

Mfergy4
November 21st, 2021, 03:45 PM
Bears come out with a chip on their shoulder for being snubbed a seeded place at the Bye Week table. Stats look even but against different levels of competition. MoSt bears by 14 over UT Martin.

MSUDuo
November 21st, 2021, 03:55 PM
We were probably 1 win shy of being seeded (though I think we still should've been) but I'll be damned if this isn't the most I've ever been excited for a Bears game!!!

POD Knows
November 21st, 2021, 04:09 PM
This could be a 30 point blowout.

Katfan
November 21st, 2021, 04:11 PM
Or more

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2021, 04:11 PM
We were probably 1 win shy of being seeded (though I think we still should've been) but I'll be damned if this isn't the most I've ever been excited for a Bears game!!!

After such a long drought and how this program has languished....I hope you guys roll!!

xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

xnodx

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2021, 04:18 PM
Or more

oh no

Rev Jim Jones is in the house and the Kool aid is flowing early

MSUDuo
November 21st, 2021, 04:39 PM
After such a long drought and how this program has languished....I hope you guys roll!!

xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

xnodx

I wish the price point on the tickets was lower so that we could pack Plaster full but I won't be missing this for anything!

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2021, 04:43 PM
This should be a landslide for the Bears. But I've seen the Bears lose games they shouldn't and I've seen UT-Martin win games they shouldn't. Jason Simpson does an excellent job out there with fewer resources than just about anyone and I suspect he'll have the team ready to play.

So this game should be all Bears but a closer than expected game wouldn't surprise me.

Mfergy4
November 21st, 2021, 04:53 PM

Dude make me a liar and blow up the score board!

MSUWineGuy
November 21st, 2021, 05:19 PM
I’m just hoping for a competitive game and for all those kids to have fun.

and for Missouri State to win by 70.

Chalupa Batman
November 21st, 2021, 05:23 PM
This would be one of the bigger upsets of the first round if UT-Martin pulled it off. Hopefully, Missouri State uses being robbed of a national seed as motivation and not feeling disappointed.

I'll be there to watch my first in-person FCS playoff game.

You weren't robbed. Many other years you would've gotten a seed but this was an unusually tough year to get a seed.

- - - Updated - - -

This will be a 30 point blowout.

FIFY

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2021, 07:43 AM
Missouri State is probably the best team playing this week (they should've been a seed), and UTM is just a good-but-not-great team with 0 notable wins. The Bears should win pretty easy.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2021, 07:54 AM
Missouri State is probably the best team playing this week (they should've been a seed), and UTM is just a good-but-not-great team with 0 notable wins. The Bears should win pretty easy.
Teams that lose to Youngstown State don't deserve seeds.

MSUDuo
November 22nd, 2021, 08:12 AM
Teams that lose to Youngstown State don't deserve seeds.

Because seeds are solely based on a single game...

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 08:12 AM
I wish the price point on the tickets was lower so that we could pack Plaster full but I won't be missing this for anything!
I believe there is an NCAA rule that schools cannot charge lower for the playoffs than they do for their cheapest regular season game since the NCAA gets 75% of the net gate receipts for playoff games. I believe it's for this reason that NDSU still has one regular season home game each year where tickets prices are ~$30 for endzone and ~$40 for sidelines when all the rest of the games are at least $10 per ticket more than that now.

MSUDuo
November 22nd, 2021, 09:09 AM
I believe there is an NCAA rule that schools cannot charge lower for the playoffs than they do for their cheapest regular season game since the NCAA gets 75% of the net gate receipts for playoff games. I believe it's for this reason that NDSU still has one regular season home game each year where tickets prices are ~$30 for endzone and ~$40 for sidelines when all the rest of the games are at least $10 per ticket more than that now.

Well, we had $3 tickets against UNI so there was no worry of going lower.

I'm afraid $20 is going to be steep for the casual fan in Springfield

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 09:20 AM
Well, we had $3 tickets against UNI so there was no worry of going lower.

I'm afraid $20 is going to be steep for the casual fan in Springfield
Was that $3 face value though? I don't think promotions count. SDSU was giving away 4 tickets for free to the UND game last Saturday to anyone that had bought tickets for previous games but I don't think the NCAA would let them do that in the playoffs. :)

MSUWineGuy
November 22nd, 2021, 11:51 AM

It's amazing the NCAA gets away with the current bidding/hosting process for the playoffs. Never really paid attention before, but I can see how it would be easy for the process to really screw over schools that actually want to host.

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2021, 12:04 PM
It's amazing the NCAA gets away with the current bidding/hosting process for the playoffs. Never really paid attention before, but I can see how it would be easy for the process to really screw over schools that actually want to host.

I'm confused by what you mean about screwing over a school that actually wants to host? If a school wants to host, they only have to put in a big bid. The schools that get screwed are the ones that should be the home team if the entire field was seeded, but have to travel because they were paired with a team that draws well. Montana State, for example, could be one of the last teams to make the playoff but they would then HOST a better team, because few teams in FCS can outdraw/outbid them.

MSUWineGuy
November 22nd, 2021, 12:09 PM
I'm confused by what you mean about screwing over a school that actually wants to host? If a school wants to host, they only have to put in a big bid. The schools that get screwed are the ones that should be the home team if the entire field was seeded, but have to travel because they were paired with a team that draws well. Montana State, for example, could be one of the last teams to make the playoff but they would then HOST a better team, because few teams in FCS can outdraw/outbid them.

Not sure what's confusing. NCAA doesn't need that ticket revenue and 75% is a huge chunk of any profits. The whole system is weird, the better team should always get to host and the bidding system is archaic.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 12:46 PM
Not sure what's confusing. NCAA doesn't need that ticket revenue and 75% is a huge chunk of any profits. The whole system is weird, the better team should always get to host and the bidding system is archaic.
Yeah, it's not ideal but it controls costs and the FCS playoffs lose the NCAA money as is most years I believe. The NCAA doesn't take 75% of the ticket revenue straight up though, they either take the bid amount or 75% of the net (revenue minus the host school's expenses) so unless schools are overbidding they should still make some money hosting playoff games.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 02:24 PM
Missouri St opens as 16.5 point favorites on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php). O/U of 59.5.

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2021, 02:45 PM

What was confusing was you said they could screw over a team that "actually want(s)" to host. What you meant was the system in place screws over a team that "earned the right" to host by play on the field. Two wholly different arguments and no one disagrees. We'd all love to seed the field and play as it falls out (with minor adjustment to avoid conference rematches, i.e. if 9 vs 24 is a conference rematch, swap in #23 instead).

As for the 75% ticket revenue... someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that even with the NCAA taking 75% of ticket revenue, they still lose money on the FCS playoffs as a whole most years. In 2019, total announced attendance (per box scores) was 28,787... for ALL 8 games. And over a quarter was from a single game (Nicholls vs. UND, 7,569). 28,787 x 75% x $20 ave. ticket price (MSUDuo mentioned that even $20 is too steep for a casual fan Springfield so I used that) is $431,805. I don't know what the net revenue for broadcasting the game is, but the ticket revenue doesn't go very far toward paying the travel costs of the 8 visiting teams.

MSUWineGuy
November 22nd, 2021, 02:54 PM
Yeah, it's not ideal but it controls costs and the FCS playoffs lose the NCAA money as is most years I believe. The NCAA doesn't take 75% of the ticket revenue straight up though, they either take the bid amount or 75% of the net (revenue minus the host school's expenses) so unless schools are overbidding they should still make some money hosting playoff games.
Ohhh, okay, that makes more sense. I thought you had to pay 75% AND whatever you bid.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 02:55 PM
What was confusing was you said they could screw over a team that "actually want(s)" to host. What you meant was the system in place screws over a team that "earned the right" to host by play on the field. Two wholly different arguments and no one disagrees. We'd all love to seed the field and play as it falls out (with minor adjustment to avoid conference rematches, i.e. if 1 vs 24 is a conference rematch, swap in #23 instead).

As for the 75% ticket revenue... someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that even with the NCAA taking 75% of ticket revenue, they still lose money on the FCS playoffs as a whole most years. In 2019, total announced attendance (per box scores) was 28,787... for ALL 8 games. And over a quarter was from a single game (Nicholls vs. UND, 7,569). 28,787 x 75% x $20 ave. ticket price (MSUDuo mentioned that even $20 is too steep for a casual fan Springfield so I used that) is $431,805. I don't know what the net revenue for broadcasting the game is, but the ticket revenue doesn't go very far toward paying the travel costs of the 8 visiting teams.
The NCAA's cut is probably less than that because they take 75% of the net rather than the gross so the host schools take out their expenses before they divvy up the pie. The value of these games to the media partner (ESPN) is what really isn't known. The FCS playoffs go into the same TV contract as a boatload of other NCAA championships. I believe the latest contract was signed back in 2011 and was for 12 years and $500M (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-espn-ncaa-idUSTRE7BE2FM20111215). How much of that $40M+ annually can be attributed to the FCS playoffs? I don't know but I'd bet it's not insignificant since ESPN does give the FCS playoffs 5 spots on their national networks each year... it would be interesting to see what the deal would be if the NCAA ever bid out the TV contract for just the FCS playoffs.

Ohhh, okay, that makes more sense. I thought you had to pay 75% AND whatever you bid.
Nope, it's whatever the higher number is between those two amounts.

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2021, 03:12 PM
The NCAA's cut is probably less than that because they take 75% of the net rather than the gross so the host schools take out their expenses before they divvy up the pie. The value of these games to the media partner (ESPN) is what really isn't known. The FCS playoffs go into the same TV contract as a boatload of other NCAA championships. I believe the latest contract was signed back in 2011 and was for 12 years and $500M (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-espn-ncaa-idUSTRE7BE2FM20111215). How much of that $40M+ annually can be attributed to the FCS playoffs? I don't know but I'd bet it's not insignificant since ESPN does give the FCS playoffs 5 spots on their national networks each year... it would be interesting to see what the deal would be if the NCAA ever bid out the TV contract for just the FCS playoffs.

Nope, it's whatever the higher number is between those two amounts.

Good catch. I forgot that it's net and not gross. Even without knowing the media revenue, it's highly likely the NCAA was well in the red after the first round of the 2019 playoffs.

MSUWineGuy
November 22nd, 2021, 04:18 PM
Missouri St opens as 16.5 point favorites on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php). O/U of 59.5.
That seems...aggressive.

ysubigred
November 22nd, 2021, 04:55 PM
Mo state gets it in gear this will be a blow out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MSUWineGuy
November 22nd, 2021, 05:28 PM
The UTM coach let out in an interview that their stud quarterback is likely still out for this week. Watching some of the film, he looks like a really really good player.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2021, 06:01 PM
The UTM coach lead out in an interview that their stud quarterback is likely still out for this week. Watching some of the film, he looks like a really really good player.

oh man, I was just getting read to say many are seriously underestimating UT Martin

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2021, 07:36 PM
The UTM coach let out in an interview that their stud quarterback is likely still out for this week. Watching some of the film, he looks like a really really good player.

Seems like the kind of thing you'd play closer to the vest. Makes me think it's a misdirection.

MSUWineGuy
November 22nd, 2021, 10:04 PM
Seems like the kind of thing you'd play closer to the vest. Makes me think it's a misdirection.
We can’t find a beat writer for them but our beat reached out to the school and the school said he was day to day then a couple hours later came that interview. Petrino said they are preparing as if he will play.

Catbooster
November 23rd, 2021, 12:45 AM
What was confusing was you said they could screw over a team that "actually want(s)" to host. What you meant was the system in place screws over a team that "earned the right" to host by play on the field. Two wholly different arguments and no one disagrees. We'd all love to seed the field and play as it falls out (with minor adjustment to avoid conference rematches, i.e. if 9 vs 24 is a conference rematch, swap in #23 instead).

That must just be for the first round (since there are 8 games in the first round)? We hosted 2 games and I'm sure our attendance was well over 7,500 as well as Montana, NDSU, JMU who all hosted multiple games after the first round. Not that it changes your conclusion.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2021, 04:51 AM
Mo state gets it in gear this will be a blow out.

This here.

MSUWineGuy
November 23rd, 2021, 09:26 AM
I was so worried that most of the first round games sold out or had huge crowds, at the chance that MSU doesn't draw great this week until I looked at the 2019 crowds...Why are they so small??

Home Team
Attendance

Nichols vs ND

SELSU vs Nova

UNI vs San Diego

Austin Peay vs Furman

SEMO vs ILST

Holy Cross vs Monmouth

Wofford vs Kennesaw

Albany vs Cconn

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2021, 09:32 AM
I was so worried that most of the first round games sold out or had huge crowds, at the chance that MSU doesn't draw great this week until I looked at the 2019 crowds...Why are they so small??

Home Team
Attendance

Nichols vs ND

SELSU vs Nova

UNI vs San Diego

Austin Peay vs Furman

SEMO vs ILST

Holy Cross vs Monmouth

Wofford vs Kennesaw

Albany vs Cconn

Crowds are always super small this weekend and generally smaller in the playoffs overall. There's several reasons; holiday weekend (many people already have alternate plans), no students on campus, only a week (and a holiday week at that) to sell tickets, and because the NCAA gets 75% of the net gate schools all of a sudden get a lot more conservative about who is counted for official attendance (bands, cheer teams, other school personnel, etc are not counted and there are no ticket promos). If you can draw 50% of your regular season average this weekend you're doing well. 75% or above is outstanding.

MSUWineGuy
November 23rd, 2021, 09:35 AM
Crowds are always super small this weekend and generally smaller in the playoffs overall. There's several reasons; holiday weekend (many people already have alternate plans), no students on campus, only a week (and a holiday week at that) to sell tickets, and because the NCAA gets 75% of the net gate schools all of a sudden get a lot more conservative about who is counted for official attendance (bands, cheer teams, other school personnel, are not counted). If you can draw 50% of your regular season average this weekend you're doing well. 75% or above is outstanding.
Can you tell this whole process is new to all us Missouri State fans?

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2021, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with that. There's no football like playoff football! My team has been in it for the last 12 years straight and, as a fan, I still get the excited jitters knowing that it's win or go home season. :)

MSUDuo
November 23rd, 2021, 01:54 PM

I was about to say the same. It still feels like a fricking dream!

MSUDuo
November 23rd, 2021, 01:57 PM
If you can draw 50% of your regular season average this weekend you're doing well. 75% or above is outstanding.

I will be so disappointed if we're between 5500 and 8000 fans this weekend...

MSUWineGuy
November 23rd, 2021, 02:16 PM
I will be so disappointed if we're between 5500 and 8000 fans this weekend... I think we will top at least 10k. Not having students or the full band will be killer, but those that do come are going to be loud as hell. 8 of the 12 lower bowl sections have already sold out and those are the fans you can hear the most on the field, so that is great to see.

Mfergy4
November 23rd, 2021, 03:21 PM

I think we will top at least 10k. Not having students or the full band will be killer, but those that do come are going to be loud as hell. 8 of the 12 lower bowl sections have already sold out and those are the fans you can hear the most on the field, so that is great to see.

Welcome to the Play-offs MoSt Bears! Glad to have you participating. Pulling for you to up hold your end and do some serious damage in the play-offs. You have the talent, my friends.

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2021, 04:06 PM

Yes. Enjoy it. It will be thrilling until it ends in bitter disappointment for all except one. Trust me from experience...it is usually disappointment.

MSUBobcat
November 23rd, 2021, 05:22 PM
That must just be for the first round (since there are 8 games in the first round)? We hosted 2 games and I'm sure our attendance was well over 7,500 as well as Montana, NDSU, JMU who all hosted multiple games after the first round. Not that it changes your conclusion.

Yes, just the first round because we were discussing teams that "should be" hosting getting screwed due to the "lower ranked" team bidding more. After the first round, it becomes pretty unlikely for an unseeded team to host, making bids less important. It is impossible in Round 2, because the seeds are guaranteed to host (assuming they at least bid the minimum, which I don't think anyone has ever NOT done). In the QF and SF, both seeds would have had to have been upset. Since seeding the top 8 started in 2013, it has only happened twice - the 2015 QF of SHSU-Colgate and the 2016 QF of YSU-Wofford. That's 2 out of 48 QF and SF games (4.167%) where bids mattered.

MSUBobcat
November 23rd, 2021, 05:26 PM
We can’t find a beat writer for them but our beat reached out to the school and the school said he was day to day then a couple hours later came that interview. Petrino said they are preparing as if he will play.

That's what I would expect. Unless I saw a star player in a full body cast, if the opposing coach says the stud is DEFINITELY OUT, I'm taking that with a truckload of salt and would still only believe it if I personally pushed the guy out of his hospital bed onto the floor to test for a believable shriek of pain.

MSUBobcat
November 23rd, 2021, 05:32 PM

Congrats to the Missouri State fans! It wasn't so long ago that I had the same reaction about the Bobcats in the playoffs as Jim Mora so enjoy it. And not only does your playoff drought end, but it looks very likely that you'll come away with at least one victory (if the poll voters know their stuff). But I can only support you for the 1 win xsmiley_wix

Catbooster
November 23rd, 2021, 09:19 PM

Congrats on making the playoffs! If you were just in another bracket I'd be rooting for you for more games. If you end up coming up here for the 2nd round let us know. We'll have hot food, warm drinks and a fire going at the tailgates.

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2021, 02:22 AM

If Keon Howard doesn't play, the Skyhawks are in for a world of trouble. With him, they might have a chance to make things close. I think they have the right pieces to stay on the field against the Bears' defense. If Howard doesn't suit up, though, they might as well install a mercy rule.

Mfergy4
November 24th, 2021, 10:39 AM
That's what I would expect. Unless I saw a star player in a full body cast, if the opposing coach says the stud is DEFINITELY OUT, I'm taking that with a truckload of salt and would still only believe it if I personally pushed the guy out of his hospital bed onto the floor to test for a believable shriek of pain.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxnodxxnodx

MSUWineGuy
November 24th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Congrats on making the playoffs! If you were just in another bracket I'd be rooting for you for more games. If you end up coming up here for the 2nd round let us know. We'll have hot food, warm drinks and a fire going at the tailgates.
Considering it. Only about $500 for the flight. Heard great things about the area.

MSUDuo
November 24th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Considering it. Only about $500 for the flight. Heard great things about the area.
20 hour drive for me 🤣

Gotta hope we can make it to Sam Houston and I'll definitely head to that one

Catbooster
November 24th, 2021, 08:51 PM
Do it. If we can get enough snow in the next few weeks you can snowmobile into Yellowstone Park (not looking promising right now - I think I heard 40 degrees forecast for the game).

Catbooster
November 24th, 2021, 08:53 PM
20 hour drive for me 藍

Yeah, that's a long drive - especially if the roads get bad (which they might in December).

Daytripper
November 24th, 2021, 10:28 PM
20 hour drive for me 藍

Southern hospitality awaits in Huntsville....

https://media.giphy.com/media/g9582DNuQppxC/giphy-downsized-large.gif

MSUWineGuy
November 25th, 2021, 10:19 AM
Do it. If we can get enough snow in the next few weeks you can snowmobile into Yellowstone Park (not looking promising right now - I think I heard 40 degrees forecast for the game).
That would be freaking awesome. Fingers crossed and not taking a moment of this for granted.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 25th, 2021, 05:38 PM
Missouri State might be a bit of a Frisco sleeper. UT-Martin is a good team but that recent loss is hard to get over. I'm with most who think the Bears win comfortably. I think I might have picked this one in the 45-27 range on the pick'em....

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Missouri State might be a bit of a Frisco sleeper. UT-Martin is a good team but that recent loss is hard to get over. I'm with most who think the Bears win comfortably. I think I might have picked this one in the 45-27 range on the pick'em....

I agree, I have them as a sleeper somewhere

Sam Houston
N Dak St
JMU

followed by

S Dak State

Mizzu st

anyone else have a chance? No really

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 25th, 2021, 06:21 PM

Sam Houston
N Dak St
JMU

followed by

S Dak State

Mizzu st

I'll roll with SHSU, NDSU, JMU, EWU, Montana and Nova as my main contenders. Missouri State and Sac State as "sleepers". SDSU and Montana State will flame out....

I honestly like ETSU but they got a brutal draw. They'll get by KSU and fall in a respectful manner to the Bison imo....

Chalupa Batman
November 25th, 2021, 06:24 PM

Sam Houston
N Dak St
JMU

followed by

S Dak State

Mizzu st

If Montana had a better draw I’d include them. Having to win at Bridgeforth and the Fargodome in back to back weeks is almost an impossible task.

Does Villanova have much of a chance? I like SDSU to make the semis from that group but can easily see Nova winning that game instead and going to Sam Houston instead.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2021, 06:31 PM
I'll roll with SHSU, NDSU, JMU, EWU, Montana and Nova as my main contenders. Missouri State and Sac State as "sleepers". SDSU and Montana State will flame out....

I honestly like ETSU but they got a brutal draw. They'll get by KSU and fall in respectful manner to the Bison imo....

EWU just doesn’t have the defense

Nova so inconsistent, I could see Holy Cross pulling an upset, but if Nova is clicking they could cruise to victory but no further

Montana is in the grove but get them out of Big Sky and let’s see what happens at JMU

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 25th, 2021, 07:29 PM
EWU just doesn’t have the defense

Nova so inconsistent, I could see Holy Cross pulling an upset, but if Nova is clicking they could cruise to victory but no further

Montana is in the grove but get them out of Big Sky and let’s see what happens at JMU

EWU has a serviceable defense which could be good enough to make it to Frisco depending on the draws. I like their program culture too this time of year.

Villanova has a defense that will travel, they play smart , QB that that knows how to win and the Cats won't be intimidated by other venues (won at JMU, stood tall at Penn State).

I'm interested to see how much momentum the "Petrino Story" will pick up should the Bears advance deep into the playoffs. I'm friends with a current kinesiology professor at Missouri State (previously worked at Georgia Southern) so I would like to see the Bears do well just for the chance to talk a little FCS football with him. That said, Petrino just gives me bad vibes (doubt I am alone). I could see him becoming the overriding story which would be a shame....

I was "shocked" to learn this is ONLY the Bears 4th playoff appearance. While UT-Martin will be making only their second trip to the postseason...

F'N Hawks
November 25th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Bears will go as far as Shelley can carry them by himself. Their OL is not very good. They could easily lose this weekend.
An unpopular opinion is the MVFC was down this year. The top was down, the middle was the same, and the bottom was the same as usual. Alot of pretty solid teams but not nearly as high-end as previous years.

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2021, 09:44 PM
Bears will go as far as Shelley can carry them by himself. Their OL is not very good. They could easily lose this weekend.
An unpopular opinion is the MVFC was down this year. The top was down, the middle was the same, and the bottom was the same as usual. Alot of pretty solid teams but not nearly as high-end as previous years.
That's pretty tough to say when the conference lost 2 games total out of conference to FCS teams in the regular season. Somebody had to lose the 44 conference games that were played this year. Despite that there were 5-6 MVFC teams ranked in the top 25 all season. Let's see how the playoffs go before making declarations about the conference being up or down.

MSUDuo
November 25th, 2021, 10:35 PM
That's pretty tough to say when the conference lost 2 games total out of conference to FCS teams in the regular season. Somebody had to lose the 44 conference games that were played this year. Despite that there were 5-6 MVFC teams ranked in the top 25 all season. Let's see how the playoffs go before making declarations about the conference being up or down.

Never mind the fact that the 2 losses were by WIU...

Bearvision
November 25th, 2021, 11:16 PM
Excited to go to the game. I would imagine we have ~7500 at the game this week based on where ticket sales are at and the lack of season ticket holders and a band to prop up numbers. I'm talking actual butts in seats here. Seeing how previous first round games are attended, that's a solid showing I believe. Would be excited if the nice weather leads to a large walk-up crowd and they get to 10,000, but it would surprise me.

I've been a fan of the Bears so long I'm bracing for disappointment. I vividly remember listening on the radio in 1990 when the Bears reached #1 for their one and only time as they lost to UNLV 31-24. That year, they went on to host Idaho in the first round of the FCS playoffs (coincidentally, Bobby Petrino was the OC of Idaho at the time). In that game, the Bears had 8,750 in attendance. Can they top that number this week? That's what you want to see.

Missouri State is 1-3 in the playoffs, all-time, with their lone victory being a 38-35 win over Maine in 1989. We are talking a long history of futility here, which has left its mark. Hence, the trepidation.

Exciting times for the program and I imagine I will have nerves for the entirety of the game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 25th, 2021, 11:33 PM
Excited to go to the game. I would imagine we have ~7500 at the game this week based on where ticket sales are at and the lack of season ticket holders and a band to prop up numbers. I'm talking actual butts in seats here. Seeing how previous first round games are attended, that's a solid showing I believe. Would be excited if the nice weather leads to a large walk-up crowd and they get to 10,000, but it would surprise me.

I've been a fan of the Bears so long I'm bracing for disappointment. I vividly remember listening on the radio in 1990 when the Bears reached #1 for their one and only time as they lost to UNLV 31-24. That year, they went on to host Idaho in the first round of the FCS playoffs (coincidentally, Bobby Petrino was the OC of Idaho at the time). In that game, the Bears had 8,750 in attendance. Can they top that number this week? That's what you want to see.

Missouri State is 1-3 in the playoffs, all-time, with their lone victory being a 38-35 win over Maine in 1989. We are talking a long history of futility here, which has left its mark. Hence, the trepidation.

Exciting times for the program and I imagine I will have nerves for the entirety of the game.

Given Missouri State's size, location and other athletic success I really thought the Bears had more history. This is a big opportunity for them to given the fact they have a proven coach in Petrino and what seems like a legitimately, battle tested team. Got to strike while the iron is hot because you never know when Petrino will bolt or do something dumb. Those "occurrences" might not be mutually exclusive...

I had no idea just how small a school UT-Martin; about 6,500 students, located 2+ hours from anywhere of note. In a lot of states it would be a D2 school imo.....

F'N Hawks
November 26th, 2021, 12:02 AM
I take back what I said about MSU possibly losing this weekend. Ain't happening. But my point that the Valley is down still stands. The QB play is way down, which drives alot of things for teams.
But I also think the entire FCS is down post-covid. So winning in the playoffs doesn't mean the conference is as good as it was over the past 10 years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2021, 07:13 AM
I take back what I said about MSU possibly losing this weekend. Ain't happening. But my point that the Valley is down still stands. The QB play is way down, which drives alot of things for teams.
But I also think the entire FCS is down post-covid. So winning in the playoffs doesn't mean the conference is as good as it was over the past 10 years.

Teams cannibalizing themselves in conference play doesn't mean the conference is down. Teams are pretty even talent wise.

MSUWineGuy
November 26th, 2021, 08:03 AM
Given Missouri State's size, location and other athletic success I really thought the Bears had more history. This is a big opportunity for them to given the fact they have a proven coach in Petrino and what seems like a legitimately, battle tested team. Got to strike while the iron is hot because you never know when Petrino will bolt or do something dumb. Those "occurrences" might not be mutually exclusive...

I had no idea just how small a school UT-Martin; about 6,500 students, located 2+ hours from anywhere of note. In a lot of states it would be a D2 school imo.....
We have made some good hires and some questionable ones. Everyone in the world could look at our student and metro populations and see massive opportunity there. We hired Randy Ball and Terry Allen, two of the winningest coaches in conference history and were always mediocre with them (5-6 wins) then hired David Steckel the long time DC out of Mizzou and he was just the worst. Now with Petrino he has seemingly reversed 30 years of below average football in just two seasons. I personally don’t expect him to be here much longer and will enjoy every second while he’s here. I am also hopeful that maybe his son or son in law will stay back and be able to take over as HC, if/when Bobby is gone.

TennBison
November 26th, 2021, 10:48 AM
We have made some good hires and some questionable ones. Everyone in the world could look at our student and metro populations and see massive opportunity there. We hired Randy Ball and Terry Allen, two of the winningest coaches in conference history and were always mediocre with them (5-6 wins) then hired David Steckel the long time DC out of Mizzou and he was just the worst. Now with Petrino he has seemingly reversed 30 years of below average football in just two seasons. I personally don’t expect him to be here much longer and will enjoy every second while he’s here. I am also hopeful that maybe his son or son in law will stay back and be able to take over as HC, if/when Bobby is gone.
It is amazing what bringing in a huge amount of transfers can do. Wasn't it the top 2-3 receivers from last spring that left the program because of the transfers coming in. I would be careful with using the word "reversed" in your description of what Petrino has done. Maybe try the phrase "put a band-aid on a gaping wound". He has a long history of not building any tradition at the places he has been, only however fixing his teams for the time he is there. He is not setting the team up for long term success. His former teams are a testament to that. But I will concede that he has a very good football mind.

ST_Lawson
November 26th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Never mind the fact that the 2 losses were by WIU...

And not to say that we're at all good...because we weren't this year...but both losses were to playoff Big Sky teams. One was by only 7 to Eastern Washington where we had all the momentum but just simply ran out of time, and the other was the home opener for a seeded playoff team (Montana) at their place (one of the loudest and toughest places to play in the FCS) in front of 25k+ screaming Grizzly fans, the weekend after one of their biggest wins in program history (over Top 25 ranked PAC 12 Washington.

Outside of seeded playoff teams and maybe one or two others, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any FCS team able to do any better in those situations.

As for MSU in the playoffs (btw, congrats Bears fans...it's a huge swing from where you were only a couple of years ago), I actually have you guys making it the quarterfinals where you lose by 3 at Sam Houston State.

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 08:56 AM
Get up Springfield! It's Game Day!

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 12:09 PM
It is amazing what bringing in a huge amount of transfers can do. Wasn't it the top 2-3 receivers from last spring that left the program because of the transfers coming in. I would be careful with using the word "reversed" in your description of what Petrino has done. Maybe try the phrase "put a band-aid on a gaping wound". He has a long history of not building any tradition at the places he has been, only however fixing his teams for the time he is there. He is not setting the team up for long term success. His former teams are a testament to that. But I will concede that he has a very good football mind.

This is a cop out. Every program is taking transfers at this level. His recruiting has been solid and many of the starters are recruited players or players who have more than one season remaining.

Everyone knows Petrino has a history of being a flake, and that's just fine, but don't take away from what is being built because you don't like the man.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Get up Springfield! It's Game Day!
Good Luck today MoST Bears....Kick butt like I picked you to do!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Underway in Springfield! Going to keep a close eye on this one....

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Bears look nervous. Can't protect Shelley from the pass rush early on.

UTM without their QB but the backup looks good.

Bison56
November 27th, 2021, 03:21 PM
What's the over/under on penalties, 50?

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Dang - just learned UTM’s QB is out. Saw some of their game @ WKU & their game vs. Samford. Tulane transfer is definitely a BIG difference-maker…as was most likely demonstrated last week in their only loss of the season when he also did not play.

They have a couple of pretty good RB’s, and a good D Front 7, but their Secondary was fairly porous - Safeties were particularly weak.

Hate this won’t be a full-strength game for the Skyhawks.

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 03:27 PM
3-0 Skyhawks. They've had WR's running open on several plays and made some big catches.

If you had this as a walkover, it's probably time to forget about that. Should be more, as bot possessions have gotten into red zone.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Bears starting to shake the butterflies....

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Couple of big plays and Missouri State is in the end zone! 7-3 Bears

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Nice TD Bears.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Gotta tighten up the pass D Bears!

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 03:42 PM
All year long the Bears have dropped punts. They've had four different returners this year at different times and they've all dropped the ball.

UTM inside the 5 after yet another muffed punt.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 03:42 PM
Come on Bears you played NDSU better than that!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 03:45 PM
TD Skyhawks! Maybe I was reading to much into the end of their season?

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Results in a UTM TD.

Absolutely unacceptable the number of times Missouri State has done that on punts.

9-7 UTM after blocked extra point.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 03:47 PM
Nice push in the middle to get the blocked extra point.

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 03:51 PM
This is disgusting football.

Such a MO State thing to do to come out and play like this...

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 04:00 PM
come on Bears...starting playing.

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Missouri St got a gift on that spot.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Nice drive....Bears! Keep it up on defense now.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:11 PM
TD Bears!

14-9 6:46 2Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Missouri State feels like they're getting close to taking full control of this game....

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 04:17 PM
Missouri State feels like they're getting close to taking full control of this game....

And we give it right back...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:18 PM
And MSU fumbles it. Bears with 2 first half turnovers.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:27 PM
And we give it right back...

Yup! Turnovers have been huge in this game. UTM cashes the fumble into a TD

UTM 16-14 1:52 2Q

Missouri State seems a bit better in the trenches but UTM has some legit athletes who are able to make things happen....

Mfergy4
Bears letting Martin hang around...gotta stop turning the ball over guys

Chalupa Batman
Missouri State is going to name a new special teams coach at halftime.

acbearkat
November 27th, 2021, 04:28 PM
Tennessee-Martin will have the lead going into halftime barring something crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:28 PM
Missouri State fumbles the enquing kickoff! wow! this is turning into a disaster!

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 04:29 PM
I can't believe Missouri St fumbled again.

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 04:31 PM
This is a sick f***ing joke.

As a Bears fan, I'll never get my hopes up again if this goes to complete $#!+

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 04:32 PM
If bears hold Martin to a Fg that would be a win.

acbearkat
November 27th, 2021, 04:34 PM
This is a sick f***ing joke.

As a Bears fan, I'll never get my hopes up again if this goes to complete $#!+

Try being a Texas fan right after the rough season. Granted, injures played a huge reason for the 5-7 regular season, but still it was rough.

JSUSoutherner
I warned you guys not to sleep on Jason Simpson.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
UTM has to "settle" for 3....

Skyhawks 19-14 0:55 2Q

That's a win for Da Bears. 0-3 TO margin and only down 5 against a good team is a first half "win" in many ways...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:36 PM
Holy crap Missouri State just threw an INT! UTM ball at the Bears 30!

Bearvision
Four turnovers in the 1st half for Missouri State.

This is the Bears program I'm used to.

Mfergy4
Ah gesh....INT come on bears you are rolling over here.

ElCid
Missouri tosses INT. They are going to screw my bracket up.

Or maybe not UT Martin tosses INT.

Catbooster
UTM gonna score again before half?

Bison56
My God this is brutal.

acbearkat
November 27th, 2021, 04:37 PM
UTM gonna score again before half?

Did you lose a bet to change your avatar?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Missouri State with a pick! Wow, did they need that!

Mfergy4
Wow! Bears D comes up with the Pick!

Bison56
November 27th, 2021, 04:38 PM
MSU finally gets a turnover.

Catbooster
And MSU gets an INT

TennBison
Sloppy play by both teams in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half

Catbooster
November 27th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Did you lose a bet to change your avatar?

Yep (Damn Grizzlies).

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Jason Shelley is definitely playing the worst game I've seen him have. He's all over the place, missing open receivers.

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 04:40 PM
He's worried about the pass rush, dropping his eyes. Missouri State cannot block them at all.

Just a nightmare half.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:41 PM
Incomplete!

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 04:42 PM
No catch...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 04:44 PM
This should be a 10 second review....

Catbooster
Seems clear enough to overturn to me.

Bearvision
The Bears are beyond fortunate to not be down more.

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 04:45 PM
How the hell did that review take so long?

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Muffed punt

Muffed kickoff

Fumble

INT

And we're down 2 at half...

Clean it up and it's not a game.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Come on Bears you have to play better in the second half.

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Muffed punt

Muffed kickoff

Fumble

INT

And we're down 2 at half...

Clean it up and it's not a game.

I don't even care how many we win by at this point, just pull it out.

ElCid
How the hell did that review take so long?

They were looking at the time at incompletion to make sure clock was correct. The no catch part was easy.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Honestly, UTM should feel worse than Missouri State. +3 turnover margin and only up 2?

Whacky game honestly, fun to watch, but whacky....

Catbooster
MSU should feel good to only be behind by 2 with all of the mistakes they made.

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 04:48 PM
They were looking at the time at incompletion to make sure clock was correct. The no catch part was easy.

Ah true

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 04:49 PM
Ah true

Because we all know what one second can mean.xlolx

katss07
November 27th, 2021, 04:59 PM
lol I kept hearing in the selection Sunday thread about how scary Missery is what’s up now

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 05:00 PM
lol I kept hearing in the selection Sunday thread about how scary Missery is what’s up now

Yeah but what you didn't hear was how good UTM actually is. Yeah they had a bump, but they are solid over all.

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 05:02 PM

It's why they're unseeded, because they are inconsistent. Actually kind of impressive they're not down 20 the way they played that half.

F'N Hawks
November 27th, 2021, 05:04 PM
Hopefully they settle down in 2nd half.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Yeah but what you didn't hear was how good UTM actually is. Yeah they had a bump, but they are solid over all.

UTM is sound! They remind me of a Holy Cross or any other good team from a "smaller conference". However, Missouri State is down 3 in turnovers and barely losing. The Bears have legit, big time FCS talent imo. UTM has no margin for error if they want to win. MSU can probably do one or two more dumb things and still win.

Bison56
November 27th, 2021, 05:11 PM
UTM is sound! They remind me of a Holy Cross or any other good team from a "smaller conference". However, Missouri State is down 3 in turnovers and barely losing. The Bears have legit, big time FCS talent imo. UMT has no margin for error if they want to win. MSU can probably do one or two more dumb things and still win.

^This, 4 turnovers and still only down by 2.

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 05:11 PM

Because they are, and have been all season.

They've also been known to shoot themselves in the foot.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Dumb penalty

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Almost a TD for the Bears but the receiver tripped over the 10 yard line...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 05:34 PM
TD Bears!

MSU 24-19 5:48 3Q

UTM's offense needs to do something or this will get away from them....

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 05:35 PM
A lot of respect to UTM coach. He's had a great game plan thus far.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Bears D has to step up now

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Almost a TD for the Bears but the receiver tripped over the 10 yard line...

Big boy TE ran out of steam 🤣

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Ouch, #7 for MSU just got lit up by friendly fire...

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 05:42 PM
I am not convinced that Missouri State wins this game at all. The defense has been getting toasted all day.

If UTM had their QB I might think they're the better team.

Mfergy4
Bad Bears D on that series....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Wow a response by the Skyhawks! They are slinging it! Then capped by a nice run! Good one in Springfield....

UTM 26-24 3:13 3Q

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Come on Bears Offense...turn it up

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Go Bears! TD!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 05:48 PM
TD Bears! Whew! 4th quarter still to go!

Bears 31-26 0:018 3Q

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 05:51 PM
Going to be a wild 4th Qtr

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 05:55 PM
UTM OL doing work!

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Bear O showing some desire to win...

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Stop them here Bears!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Bears!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:17 PM
UTM will force a punt! Skyhawks have played a helluva game to have a chance with 6 minutes left....

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 06:19 PM
Martin has very impressive....their QB can chuck the ball around some.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Wow! They blew it dead!! wow!

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 06:21 PM
Wow! They blew it dead!! wow!

A gift from the gods

Mfergy4
Whistle saves the TD run.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
UTM was flat out robbed! UTM coach has a right to be pissed! Thats' terrible!!

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 06:22 PM
robbery

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:23 PM
Some justice...MSU with a pick....UTM ball at the Bears 37 or so yard line....

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 06:23 PM
Oh Oh...not good a pass choice.

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 06:24 PM
I don't know who this is playing QB, but it's not Jason Shelley.

My goodness has he been bad.

Bison56
November 27th, 2021, 06:24 PM
WR ducks instead of trying to catch the ball.xrolleyesx

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Some justice...MSU with a pick....UTM ball at the Bears 37 or so yard line....

Ball don’t lie….

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:26 PM
TD skyhawks! What a catch!!

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Slap in your face TD by Martin....can the Bears recover?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:28 PM
How in the world did UTM lose to SEMO last week? This game is crazy because MSU has 5 turnovers, UTM is barely winning yet the Skyhawks have played great to be up 1. MSU has played very well too when they aren't screwing up. Really entertaining stuff...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:33 PM
UTM defense holds with 2:17 left....Shelley having a meltdown on the sideline...

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 06:33 PM
what the heck was that play call.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:37 PM
Bears ball at the 20 or so 1:45 left....

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 06:38 PM
Still plenty of time for the Bears.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:39 PM
UTM with another INT! That's 6 Bear turnovers! Good Lawd!!

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Still plenty of time for the Bears.

…….for another turnover

acbearkat
November 27th, 2021, 06:40 PM
That was a great play by the Tennessee-Martin defense.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Wow, UT Martin not scared comes in and shocks MoSt....great game for Martin and Bears not up to the spotlight.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:43 PM
If the saying a team takes on the persona of their coach is true then that explains this game. UTM was well prepared, never made any major mistakes, had some huge individual plays and found a way to win. MSU had 6 turnovers, were sloppy from the start, their QB was all over the place. Just a brutal loss for the Bears given their history...

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 06:43 PM
I do not remember a QB playing worse than Jason Shelley played tonight. Congrats to UT-Martin, their HC was excellent.

You simply cannot throw the ball into traffic in that situation.

Bison56
November 27th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Congrats to UTM.

F'N Hawks
November 27th, 2021, 06:44 PM

Shouldve went with my original thought. The MVFC is down, like I said. Alot of good solid teams but thats about it this year.
Congrats to MSU though on breaking through for their first playoff appearance in a long time!

acbearkat
November 27th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Shouldve went with my original thought. The MVFC is down, like I said. Alot of good solid teams but thats about it this year.
Congrats to MSU though on breaking through for their first playoff appearance in a long time!

You realize Missouri State was in the playoffs in the spring, correct?

Bearvision
November 27th, 2021, 06:45 PM
If the saying a team takes on the persona of their coach is true then that explains this game. UTM was well prepared, never made any major mistakes, had some huge individual plays and found a way to win. MSU had 6 turnovers, were sloppy from the start, their QB was all over the place. Just a brutal loss for the Bears given their history...

What in the world does this even mean? What a silly thing to say.

Bobby Petrino is whatever he is off the field, but he's a phenomenal coach on the field and this is the first time they have played like this under him.

CockyGeek
November 27th, 2021, 06:46 PM
OVC! OVC!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 06:48 PM

Bobby Petrino is whatever he is off the field, but he's a phenomenal coach on the field and this is the first time they have played like this under him.

UTM was much better prepared than Missouri State imo. That looked like some of those dumpster fire Louisville games....

acbearkat
November 27th, 2021, 06:48 PM

Running around on your wife is a whole lot different than covering up a rape scandal. They’re both morally wrong, but covering up crimes is way worse (reference to Art Briles and Baylor).

F'N Hawks
November 27th, 2021, 06:50 PM
You realize Missouri State was in the playoffs in the spring, correct?

I was told that didn't count. And yes I do cause UND destroyed them in first round.

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 06:53 PM
I shouldn't be shocked.

Thought maybe I could have some hope finally.

I'm just done.

MSUWineGuy
November 27th, 2021, 06:55 PM
I hate being a Bears fan. Cut the program.

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 06:56 PM
I shouldn't be shocked.

Thought maybe I could have some hope finally.

I'm just done.Dude.. I'd trade you places in a heart beat.. look around. 24 teams and MSU was one of them.. You could be like team choke (UNI).. they get in every year some how and **** the bed LOL.

Keep the faith..

MSUDuo
November 27th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Well done UT-M. Definitely deserve the credit

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Good. Another overrated MVFC team bites the dust. Sorry. It is what it is. Good luck next year.

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 07:24 PM
Good. Another overrated MVFC team bites the dust. Sorry. It is what it is. Good luck next year.MVFC.. pretty much sucks except for the golden Buffalo's.. xtwocentsx

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 07:29 PM
MVFC.. pretty much sucks except for the golden Buffalo's.. xtwocentsx

No. SDSU is good.

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 07:31 PM
No. SDSU is good.Bull****.. pretenders..

Least impressive of all YSU losses..

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Glad to see Jason Simpson finally get a win in the postseason. Dude is a helluva coach.

JacksFan40
November 27th, 2021, 07:37 PM
Bull****.. pretenders..

With Isaiah Davis back I feel pretty confident about SDSU-NDSU in Frisco. Our running game is unstoppable if our coach actually uses it.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Bull****.. pretenders..

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkYea. We will see. SDSU will walk into the finals

MSUWineGuy
November 27th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Glad to see Jason Simpson finally get a win in the postseason. Dude is a helluva coach.
Was impressed with him. His team should have won by more than one when gifted six mother f’ing turnovers, but still got that win.

kdinva
November 27th, 2021, 07:46 PM
UT Martin was playing with house money, Mizz. State was expected to win (based on chatter here the past week), tough game and loss (folks in Lex. can sympathize).

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 07:48 PM
With Isaiah Davis back I feel pretty confident about SDSU-NDSU in Frisco. Our running game is unstoppable if our coach actually uses it.
NDSU won’t get there.

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Yea. We will see. SDSU will walk into the finalsUmm. Ok... any MVFC TEAM winning it all makes my year..

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 07:49 PM
No. SDSU is good...sometimes

FIFY.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 07:50 PM
I am glad too. Don’t know the guy but I am sure he has more character than the guy on the Mo State sidelines. He would pretty much win that contest by default.

mvfcfan
November 27th, 2021, 08:20 PM
This was a fun game to watch. I like both squads, but I found myself pulling for UTM, since they were the OVC's only rep.

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 08:21 PM
With Isaiah Davis back I feel pretty confident about SDSU-NDSU in Frisco. Our running game is unstoppable if our coach actually uses it.Shhhhh... let me work my magic [emoji56]

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 08:22 PM
NDSU won’t get there.I won't defecate next week..

Daytripper
November 27th, 2021, 08:25 PM
Yea. We will see. SDSU will walk into the finals

SDSU v. SHSU in Bowers could be epic.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 08:52 PM
oh man, I was just getting read to say many are seriously underestimating UT Martin

back up QB played very well

Catbooster
November 27th, 2021, 08:53 PM
This was a fun game to watch. I like both squads, but I found myself pulling for UTM, since they were the OVC's only rep.
Agreed. My wife (and quite a bit of her family who now live in Bozeman) is originally from Missouri. So I thought I wanted Missouri State to win, but:

They have maroon uniforms
Petrino reputation
underdogs

I found myself torn but somewhat rooting for UTM to pull off the upset. No offense intended MSU fans, I'd have liked to have had a few of you come by our tailgate. But you should be proud of your players and the turn-around you've made from a couple years ago. I know it hurts right now but it takes time and you seem to be on the right track. There are roughly 100 teams that would like to have been able to make the playoffs but didn't.

mmiller_34
November 27th, 2021, 08:55 PM
SDSU won’t get there.

Fixed it for you

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 09:03 PM
Fixed it for you
My posts, once written, are like the words of the Gods, chiseled in stone, timeless

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2021, 09:05 PM
I switched my pick'em last night to have Missouri State in the final (figured calculated risk to try and win). Whelp, should have went with Villanova....

UTM is quite good. I was really impressed with their coaching and skill players, ability to fly around on defense. For a small school in rural NW TN they have a heckuva team. Nice to see some fresh blood in FCS....

BEAR
November 27th, 2021, 09:10 PM
This one surprised me. Thought MoState would win this easily. Shocker.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 09:13 PM

Rev JJ with the annual round of Kool-Aid

- - - Updated - - -

Or more

lol

katss07
November 27th, 2021, 09:15 PM
The OVC owns the Moral Victory Football Conference. But hey, at least scary Missouri State played hard.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Rev JJ with the annual round of Kool-Aid

- - - Updated - - -

lol
I despise Mo State. Glad they lost. Petrino is an ass hat.

Christiank22
November 27th, 2021, 10:11 PM
The OVC owns the Moral Victory Football Conference. But hey, at least scary Missouri State played hard.

Aren’t you guys the team that made National runner up T-shirts? LOL

MSUWineGuy
November 27th, 2021, 10:36 PM
At least we had the largest crowd of the first round? Lol…kill me.

katss07
November 27th, 2021, 10:45 PM
Aren’t you guys the team that made National runner up T-shirts? LOL
That is us.

Christiank22
November 27th, 2021, 10:54 PM
That is us.

Hahahahahahaha, at least you aren’t denying it I guess…??

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 11:02 PM
I despise Mo State. Glad they lost. Petrino is an ass hat.
That’s an insult to ass hats!

Falcons Fans hate Petrino worse than we hate 28-3…and that’s saying something.

deez_na
November 27th, 2021, 11:18 PM
To be fair Missouri has 6 turnovers and still only lost by 1. They cut that in half and they likely win this game easily.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 11:24 PM
To be fair Missouri has 6 turnovers and still only lost by 1. They cut that in half and they likely win this game easily.
So…you’re saying we should imagine these turnovers didn’t happen and imagine that Missouri State won the game. Chattanooga’s Coaches, Players, and Fans tried that after Mercer forced 5 turnovers and the Bears whipped their a$$e$.

Kinda hard to understand how it works exactly, but the Selection Committee was able to imagine that UNI didn’t lose 5 games, so I guess it’s the new FCS way.

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 06:25 AM
It's really too bad UNI didn't run the table....or it's a good thing they didn't...or whatever.

McCowboys
November 28th, 2021, 07:55 AM
What a classic FCS playoff game!!! SFA at UIW is a close second. Congrats to all the winners and the teams who made the playoffs, but most of these games were not very exciting compared to the two games I just mentioned, IMO.
Bearkat fans can stop shaking in their boots now that they won't have to face da Bears somewhere down the road....

deez_na
November 28th, 2021, 02:15 PM
So…you’re saying we should imagine these turnovers didn’t happen and imagine that Missouri State won the game. Chattanooga’s Coaches, Players, and Fans tried that after Mercer forced 5 turnovers and the Bears whipped their a$$e$.

Kinda hard to understand how it works exactly, but the Selection Committee was able to imagine that UNI didn’t lose 5 games, so I guess it’s the new FCS way.

They did happen. They lost, yes, but Missouri doesn’t have 6 turnovers every game. Highly unlikely if they played again they would sniff that many turnovers. Missouri didn’t play a good game and barely
lost. Do you think the outcome would be the same had they played even decent?

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2021, 01:07 PM
UTM was undefeated in FCS…until for the only time this season they played an FCS game without their Starting QB (the OVC’s Offensive Player of the Year) and they lost by 3 scores to a 4-7 OVC Team.

UTM, again, only 1 week later, played Missouri State without their Starting QB and they beat Missouri State.

The only logical conclusion FUBeAR can draw from that is that Missouri State, the MVFC runner-up, is at least 3 scores worse than a 4-7 OVC Team.

JacksFan40
November 29th, 2021, 01:59 PM
UTM was undefeated in FCS…until for the only time this season they played an FCS game without their Starting QB (the OVC’s Offensive Player of the Year) and they lost by 3 scores to a 4-7 OVC Team.

UTM, again, only 1 week later, played Missouri State without their Starting QB and they beat Missouri State.

The only logical conclusion FUBeAR can draw from that is that Missouri State, the MVFC runner-up, is at least 3 scores worse than a 4-7 OVC Team.

This also means that since NDSU only beat Missouri State by 7, that NDSU is two scores worse than a 4-7 OVC team. Man the MVFC really sucks this year.

Preferred Walk-On
November 29th, 2021, 02:03 PM

I see we're playing fast and loose with the word "logical"...xrotatehx

Also, that was the "only" conclusion you could draw from that?

MSUWineGuy
November 29th, 2021, 07:19 PM

UTM has some athletes but I would be SHOCKED to see them beat Montana State. Missouri State played their worst game in two years in all aspects from playcalling to execution and still was driving for the win to end the game.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2021, 09:00 PM

The irony of being on a website called Any Given Saturday and thinking that a single game, in which one team played comically bad and STILL almost won, means the winning team is better than the other. xrotatehx I don't want to say one specific play lost the Bears the game. But, without taking ANYTHING away from what UTM did in the game, if Mitchell doesn't botch that punt return at the 5 at the end of the 1st quarter, this is likely a vastly different outcome.

Troll game is strong with this one.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2021, 10:12 PM
Outcomes of games are objective conclusions. All logic exposited ex post facto to justify any alternative outcome of the game cannot, in fact, alter the outcome of the game.

Playoff Seeds & At-Large Selections are subjective conclusions, the outcomes of which may be justified by well-constructed logical arguments intended to supply broad, definitive credence to the subjectively determined outcomes. Though not readily disclosed or discussed, the underpinning of these logical arguments may, in fact, rely solely on the outcome of a single play of a single game.

FUBeAR finds it interesting how people often open & close the apertures of their lenses to provide themselves & others with only the subjective view they desire.

ElCid
November 29th, 2021, 10:17 PM
Outcomes of games are objective conclusions. All logic exposited ex post facto to justify any alternative outcome of the game cannot, in fact, alter the outcome of the game.

Playoff Seeds & At-Large Selections are subjective conclusions, the outcomes of which may be justified by well-constructed logical arguments intended to supply broad, definitive credence to the subjectively determined outcomes. Though not readily disclosed or discussed, the validity of these logical arguments may, in fact, rely solely on the outcome of a single play of a single game.

FUBeAR finds it interesting how people often open & close the apertures of their lenses to provide themselves & others with only the subjective view they desire.

Dude. I am absolutely speechless and in awe. I give you three bows for that well thought out observation. xbowxxbowxxbowx

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2021, 06:04 AM

Playoff Seeds & At-Large Selections are subjective conclusions, the outcomes of which may be justified by well-constructed logical arguments intended to supply broad, definitive credence to the subjectively determined outcomes. Though not readily disclosed or discussed, the underpinning of these logical arguments may, in fact, rely solely on the outcome of a single play of a single game.

MVFC posters lead the league in all of this

pass the Kool-Aid

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2021, 07:06 AM
MVFC posters lead the league in all of this

pass the Kool-Aid

I'll pass on the Ivy flavor.