PDA

View Full Version : MONMOUTH @ KENNESAW - THE FINAL CHAPTER!

MUHAWKS
November 14th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Even though we are just The lowly Big South I figured this upcoming "Championship" game was worth a thread- at least to me and the few KSU fans!

Fitting that once again and for the final time, the Big South Championship and auto bid to the FCS playoffs will be decided in this end of season game.

Kennesaw owned this matchup from 2015-2018, winning the first 4 contests, most of them in convincing fashion before Monmouth turned the tables and won the last 2, both in blowout fashion.

It seems many still see Kennesaw as one of the most overrated teams in the country while Monmouth finally got some respect after their showing against Sam Houston last year. However, Monmouth basically squandered their high preseason ranking and most of that respect by losing big to Holy Cross and then failing to seal the deal against Princeton. This game clearly is more important for Monmouth as most see Kennesaw a shoe in for an at large even with a loss. The only path to the playoffs for Monmouth is to win this game. However, I doubt after the last 2 games against Monmouth that Kennesaw will be happy with "backing in" to the playoffs and of course they want another Big South Championship. Around the Monmouth program, we honestly feel we are a top 10-15 team and have just been victimized but a number of things including injuries, the psychology of being the hunted, a perfect storm not showing up for Holy Cross and somehow letting up in that Princeton game. The truth is, losing to Princeton by 3 on the last play of the game although it is a loss, is really not that much different than beating them by 3. What I mean by that is- The game down to 1 play- If we had won and been 8-2 right now, people probably would have written Holy Cross off to just a bad day and we would be ranked in all 3 polls and being talked about for an at large. Does that really make us that different of a football team? Of course not, but that is how it goes however and it is fine b/c we did not win that game and this is what needs to be done!

I do NOT think this game can be analyzed by common opponents but if one want to look at that-

KSU 14, NC A&T 0
MU- 35 NC A&T 16

KSU 30, Campbell 7
MU 34 Campbell 17

KSU 34 Gardner Webb 30
MU 54 Gardner Webb 17

KSU 45 Robert Morris 21
MU 44 Robert Morris 7

KSU 28 North Alabama 24
MU 45 North Alabama 33

Not too much to learn there really anyway.

Here is what I can tell you about Monmouth coming into this game. We were ravaged by key injuries in the 2 weeks preceding the opener. It took a bit for the younger guys to come around but other than Holy Cross we showed up in every game. Even the first game against FBS Middle Tennessee State we were in that game in the 4th quarter. We had the ball at midfield down by 13 and then it just went south but we were only outgained by 60 yards had 2 less first downs and ran 20 more plays winning TOP by almost 8 minutes. The 4 turnover to 0 was the big key. We then controlled the Fordham game and were up 10 with a 1st and goal on the 1 before turning the ball over and letting them back in. We then blew out Charleston Southern before the Holy Cross debacle. After that game there were some doubts among fans but not by coaches and players. The next week saw us blow out Gardner Webb before dominating Princeton for 3+ quarters. They came back and beat us and frankly I think it was just part of the process of THIS team understanding how to finish and changing the psychology. Since the Holy Cross game in week 4 we are 5-1 with our only loss being to ranked Princeton on the last play of the game. Every other game was a win by double digits where we have averaged 40 pts.

But let me tell you this- The injuries never stopped! We have played our last 3 games without both conference pre season players of the year, on offense, RB Juwon Farri and defense, Safety Anthony Budd. On top of that, during this last 6 game stretch we had another starting OL out for 2 games, lost 2 starting DL and played 2 games without a starting WR. We also lost our MLB for 3 games. What this has done is allowed younger guys to step up and gain confidence. We seem to have some good depth. But the best part is we should have almost everyone back for Kennesaw.

We look like a well rounded team and the psychology and attitude are very good right now. Football is about staying alive and peaking at the right time and it truly looks like we are peaking/about to peak. It has not been perfect but this is a different "team" from the first 3-4 weeks of the season and we are playing our best football right now. We have serious depth at WR and RB. Our O line has struggled a bit with consistency and pass protection and the defense has not been dominant, but we are an offensive led team so our defense just needs to be adequate and sort of play the bend don't break game.

I think we should be able to throw the ball against KSU and believe it or not what scares me the most about KSU is our D getting too aggressive and biting on play action and wide stuff. This will very much be a game where coaching will play a HUGE part in the outcome.

Would love to hear from some KSU fans on what ya'll are thinking and seeing coming into this. I am guessing KSU will be anywhere from a 3 to 7 point favorite.

crusader11
November 14th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Go Hawks!

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Kennesaw loses to Monmouth again

Just a hunch

NY Crusader 2010
November 14th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Heart: Hawks
Head: KSU brings the trophy back to Georgia this year.

mvfcfan
November 14th, 2021, 09:13 PM
I chose Monmouth.

dgtw
November 15th, 2021, 04:22 AM
If the ASUN doesn’t find a replacement for Jax State, Kennesaw may be back in the Big South in 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUHAWKS
November 15th, 2021, 06:49 AM
If the ASUN doesn’t find a replacement for Jax State, Kennesaw may be back in the Big South in 2022.

seriously?

dgtw
November 15th, 2021, 07:36 AM
I don’t really know for sure. Jax State is still in the ASUN for 2022-23, but won’t be eligible for the playoffs. So I don’t know what happens with the five football members. The WAC should have enough full members next year so they probably won’t continue the AQ7 deal.

POD Knows
November 15th, 2021, 08:00 AM
I chose KSU mainly because I don’t generally get picks correct.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2021, 10:35 AM
I don’t really know for sure. Jax State is still in the ASUN for 2022-23, but won’t be eligible for the playoffs. So I don’t know what happens with the five football members. The WAC should have enough full members next year so they probably won’t continue the AQ7 deal.

And for all we know, all of you ASun-ers will be in the Big South for Football next fall.

ksu_owls
November 15th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Always appreciate your posts, MUHAWKS! You have a gift of remaining objective and respectful— tough to find on fan forums!

I love the owls and will cheer for them even if we stoop to the levels of suck equivalent with JSU, but I haven’t seen much that makes me overly excited for this game. My hope is we are a good team that will rise to the occasion. It just sucks seeing us squeak out close games the last two weeks against trash opponents.

We’ve got the athletes to play with y’all, but I’d rather have some consistency going into the weekend than what we’ve been producing. I can’t imagine our guys not playing the hardest they can, there’s just a lot of benefit in doing that week after week instead of relying on “flipping a switch”.

My hope is we make a huge defensive statement that will make us grossly overrated as a playoff seed and everyone on AGS freaks out about it. But I’ll take a win of any caliber. Should be a good one!

MUHAWKS
November 15th, 2021, 12:03 PM
Always appreciate your posts, MUHAWKS! You have a gift of remaining objective and respectful— tough to find on fan forums!

I love the owls and will cheer for them even if we stoop to the levels of suck equivalent with JSU, but I haven’t seen much that makes me overly excited for this game. My hope is we are a good team that will rise to the occasion. It just sucks seeing us squeak out close games the last two weeks against trash opponents.

We’ve got the athletes to play with y’all, but I’d rather have some consistency going into the weekend than what we’ve been producing. I can’t imagine our guys not playing the hardest they can, there’s just a lot of benefit in doing that week after week instead of relying on “flipping a switch”.

My hope is we make a huge defensive statement that will make us grossly overrated as a playoff seed and everyone on AGS freaks out about it. But I’ll take a win of any caliber. Should be a good one!

LOL x 100 on the "that will make us grossly overrated as a playoff seed and everyone on AGS freaks out about it."-

Yeah man I wish I could say I hated Kennesaw but not the case. Mad respect for your program.. I mean this is what year 7? And a playoff team nearly every year with some very nice wins along the way. I am not sure whther it is the uniforms or what not but your Defensive front 7 look like studs. I like the QB a lot and something in the back of my mind scares me about getting beat against the pass.. Crazy right? The good thing is even with a loss you guys 90% should be in and I can root for ya'll. We are def playing our best football of the year lately, and although probably bit banged up, I assume everyone is right now. Our offense is truly clicking and I am hoping we have a good ame pln to make it stay that way and defensively I feel like we will be more of a bend dont break. REALLY want this one b/c I do not feel we were ourselves first few weeks and I want the chance to see these guys in the playoffs. I HATE the triple option but we seemed to have it defended well the last 2 games. Our tacking has kind of notn been great at times this year so I am worried but I am always worried. Its weird b/c looking at the results of games it does not match up with what I see on the field? Like the gardner webb and alabama game..Maybe it is just the respect we have for you guys that I fee that way.. I imagine KSU will be truly up for this, so it is imperative we get off to a good start.

ksu_owls
November 15th, 2021, 03:11 PM
I think our defense is legit. I’ll know what our offense is after we play y’all because like you said, y’all shut down the TO back to back.

I like that it’s a home game for us. If we are a good team you’d expect us to do whatever we can to keep y’all from winning the conference on our field like 2 years ago, but y’all know Saturday is basically round one of the playoffs— win or go home. It should be one helluva game!

If you or any other MU people are coming to the game let me know. We’re actually pretty nice around here.

BurialGround
November 15th, 2021, 06:21 PM
I just want to see KSU leave it all on the field on Saturday. I won't ask for more than that. Go back to the Owls that ran JSU off their own field in 2017. If we can control the los (which is what we did in '17 and '18 against Monmouth, but hasn't happened over the last two years), then we'll have a chance. But we'll have to play mistake-free ball on offense as well, and that simply hasn't happened yet this year. If the Owls play like they did against UNA and GWU, then Monmouth runs away with it. Agreed that it would be hilarious to watch KSU win and the ensuing AGS meltdown after they get seeded lol.

HootyHoo
November 16th, 2021, 09:35 AM
This has been a weird "rivalry". Since 2016, the winning team has won by at least 24 points. That's crazy. However, I don't think it will be a 3 TD defeat for either team on saturday. Monmouth and KSU seem to be pretty similar on paper, both teams suffered injuries early and found young guys to fill those roles, solid bend but don't break defenses, and offenses that control possession and put up points.

So what will the game come down to? Turnovers and Penalties!

KSU has struggled mightily with fumbles this season. The key for the Owls will be HOLD ON TO THE DAMN BALL!. I would assume the same would be for Monmouth as each team likes to possess the ball(both average 33 minutes in TOP) so possessions will be paramount.

I'd favor Monmouth by 3 since they are 2 time defending Big South Champions and are playing better ball atm.

HootyHoo
November 20th, 2021, 03:28 PM
WHO IS YOUR DADDY MONMOUTH?!