View Full Version : Pioneer League Stadiums

GAD
November 8th, 2021, 07:04 PM
A look at the stadiums of the Pioneer League

https://youtu.be/upFJxCRmpWU

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2021, 07:38 PM
A look at the stadiums of the Pioneer League

One wonders what he would have said about Milne Field had Jacksonville stayed in the PFL.

FUBeAR
November 8th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Marist Stadium was pretty cool & the campus is very nice. Hudson River backdrop certainly does add to the aesthetic. The visitors side was rather weird. That “lawn seating” he mentioned is actually a few tiers of concrete beams embedded into a berm. That part was just odd.

Davidson’s setting is very nice. Heard they were going to re-build the other side. It had 2 sides back when FUBeAR played there and WCU only had 1. Now The Citadel, which used to have 2 sides, only has 1 (plus some temporary aluminum bleachers) & WCU has 2. Hard to keep count of the number of sides on these stadia. Would think 2 (at least) would be standard.

Didn’t make the trips to Stetson or San Diego during Mercer’s year in the PFL & the rest were at Mercer (far nicer than any of these venues)…wish I could have seen more of them. Well, did go to Campbell, who was in the PFL at the time, and it was kinda nice, but the best part (other than the Eastern NC BBQ Tailgate feast) was the live camel mascot touring the tailgate areas.

FUBeAR likes interesting stadiums.

FUBeAR
November 8th, 2021, 07:48 PM
One wonders what he would have said about Milne Field had Jacksonville stayed in the PFL.
Before they dropped Football, I believe they did a fairly nice upgrade there…relatively speaking. Much better than no stands & lawn chairs.

Laker
November 8th, 2021, 07:49 PM
I've seen several games at St Thomas's stadium- had a former student athlete play there. The other side is quite interesting. Those D3 MIAC schools had some classic old stadiums- Concordia in Moorhead MN is pretty big. Gustavus Adolphus is pretty new. They used to have the HS state track meet at Macalester when I was in HS. But if you want to see a beautiful place to watch a game- go out to St. Johns, northwest of St. Cloud. I'm a Methodist and I'm still awed when I go to games there at the campus on the lake with leaves falling down on you.

Baron Sardonicus
November 8th, 2021, 10:27 PM
Lol when he said Welcome Stadium is the largest in the league...as he corrects himself by flashing the word "second" on the screen. Fancy postproduction.

WallyWofford
November 8th, 2021, 10:52 PM
Davidson’s setting is very nice. Heard they were going to re-build the other side.

Davidson’s actually fundraising for a new stadium. Historic Richardson Field will become a track & field facility and the new football stadium will be relocated on campus.

https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2021/9/9/general-davidson-college-announces-plans-for-new-facilities.aspx

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2021, 12:00 AM
Football coach says they recruit against the Ivies. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400558427

Not that Davidson anymore…new Coach in 2018 put some Wild into the formerly Mildcats.

2012 2-9
2013 0-11
*2014 0-11 (not counting “win” vs. College of Faith - the Bishop Sycamore of its time)
2015 2-9
2016 2-9
2017 2-9

2018 6-5
2019 8-4
2020 4-3 (Spring…1 loss by 3 to CAA’s Elon & 1 loss to JaxSt in 1st round of FCS Playoffs)
2021 7-1 (to date - 1 loss to defending SoCon Champ VMI)

Davidson definitely recruits against the Ivies…

Hanover, NH
Month High / Low(°F)
December 33° / 17°
January 29° / 10°
February 33° / 12°

Davidson, NC
Month High / Low(°F)
December 55° / 35°
January 52° / 32°
February 56° / 35°

* Not a good Football Team, but FUBeAR is proud to have Coached this young man from 7th grade thru HS…

….from that ESPN Game Summary…

DAV

J.P. Douglas

29-44, 260 YDS, 1 TD

Son of Eli
November 9th, 2021, 12:15 AM
Not that Davidson anymore…new Coach in 2018 put some Wild into the formerly Mildcats.

2012 2-9
2013 0-11
*2014 0-11 (not counting “win” vs. College of Faith - the Bishop Sycamore of its time)
2015 2-9
2016 2-9
2017 2-9

2018 6-5
2019 8-4
2021 7-1 (to date)

Davidson definitely recruits against the Ivies…

Hanover, NH
Month High / Low(°F)
December 33° / 17°
January 29° / 10°
February 33° / 12°

Davidson, NC
Month High / Low(°F)
December 55° / 35°
January 52° / 32°
February 56° / 35°

* Not a good Football Team, but FUBeAR is proud to have Coached this young man from 7th grade thru HS…

….from that ESPN Game Summary…

DAV

J.P. Douglas

29-44, 260 YDS, 1 TD

Not one of their 7 commits from their most recent class listed here had any Ivy League offers. I admit they are much improved under their new coach. I think they should consider rejoining the Patriot League with their new football facilities. It’s not like the Pioneer League offers them any regional rivalries anyway.

https://247sports.com/college/davidson/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2021, 01:13 AM
Not one of their 7 commits from their most recent class listed here had any Ivy League offers. I admit they are much improved under their new coach. I think they should consider rejoining the Patriot League with their new football facilities. It’s not like the Pioneer League offers them any regional rivalries anyway.

https://247sports.com/college/davidson/Season/2021-Football/Commits/Well, 247Sports is always woefully un- & mis-informed when it comes to FCS Football Recruiting, but if you look at Davidson’s Offers for this same Recruiting Class, 13 of them are showing Ivy offers & 6 of those are showing as Ivy Signees. Maybe, they didn’t win any of those battles this year, but when I was following recruiting much more closely a few years back, Davidson was definitely competing with & winning some battles with the Ivies for Atlanta-area kids. So, from both my empirical knowledge & your chosen information source, it is verifiable that Davidson does, in fact, “recruit against the Ivies.”

BTW - Did y’all fix that sand & mud pit you tried to pass off as a Football Field yet? :D

Son of Eli
November 9th, 2021, 06:54 AM
I’ll take your word for it. Yes, and that field was an embarrassment.