PDA

View Full Version : Fordham vs. Holy Cross -- the de facto PL Championship

crusader11
November 8th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Getting this thread started early.

Very much looking forward to this one. I think that most HC and Fordham fans had this game circled back in August as "the game" in the PL this year.

It's the PL's best offense (Fordham) against the best defense (HC).

HC has had Fordham's number as of late, keeping the Ram - Crusader Cup in Worcester the past four years, after that embarrassment at Yankee Stadium back in 2016.

In what has been a pretty poor year for the league top-to-bottom, at least the PL rep in the playoffs should be competitive. Regardless of which team wins the league, my guess is that they'll host the NEC champ in the first round.

Best guesses at what the line opens at? I'm guessing HC -4.5.

The Boogie Down
November 8th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Highly doubt this thread ever gets close to matching that epic Lafayette/UNH one, but expect a much better contest! Hope some non-PL fans stop in to check this game out b/c I do think both teams can hang w/most of the FCS. Thanks for getting the thread going. Looking very forward!!!

caribbeanhen
November 8th, 2021, 04:10 PM
I’ll check in on game, watched last year and liked Fordham QB

leaning Holy Cross only because that beast LB is hurt

MUHAWKS
November 8th, 2021, 04:25 PM
I am excited for this game. Although I will be at Monmouth I will be checking often and hoping to watch the end as ours is a 12 pm noon start. Obviously HC smoked us and Fordham we just got by so one would think I would pick HC but I think this is going to be a very close game. I did not even know Greenhagen has been out although I guess I should have known that since I would have heard about records and such by now. An exciting East Coast game with meaning. Very exciting. HC has the most to lose obviously as starting with an FBS win, blowing Monmouth out etc, to lose this and miss would not be good but such is life in FCS football at the middle level (goes for us too)..Although Fordham has a very good offense I think The Patriot league would be better served with HC repping it, but nothing against either school. Very intriguing game actually..

The Boogie Down
November 8th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Although Fordham has a very good offense I think The Patriot league would be better served with HC repping it, but nothing against either school. Very intriguing game actually..

I was with ya until that part. xmadx

MUHAWKS
November 8th, 2021, 04:59 PM
I was with ya until that part. xmadx

Haha- I just think you guys are too banged up - so when I say repping I meant put the better product out there to upset someone- Nothing else meant by it. But if you can win this one than I guess why the F not???

Pard4Life
November 8th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Holy Cross will win comfortably in a not-really competitive game, typical of the Patriot League season.

crusader11
November 8th, 2021, 07:06 PM
Holy Cross will win comfortably in a not-really competitive game, typical of the Patriot League season.

I don’t want to jinx it, but I do think our ground game and defense largely keeps the Fordham offense at bay and off the field for most of the game. The Fordham defense really doesn’t scare me at all. Homer in me, sure, but I think HC wins by 2+ scores.

ngineer
November 8th, 2021, 08:50 PM
I don’t want to jinx it, but I do think our ground game and defense largely keeps the Fordham offense at bay and off the field for most of the game. The Fordham defense really doesn’t scare me at all. Homer in me, sure, but I think HC wins by 2+ scores.

Always a key in dealing with a high powered offense. DeMorat is the best QB in the league with a major league arm. If he is "on" and he gets the time, it could be long day for the HC secondary. I would expect HC to come up with various pressure schemes to rattle the Ram QB, if not sack him; but, sustained productive drives keeping DeMorat on the sideline is the best defense. I'm sticking with my pick of HC by a single score, but won't be shocked if the Rams pull it out.

Fordham
November 9th, 2021, 10:52 AM

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooh ... I beg to differ.

I totally get why HC are favorites but we have a very experienced group and we're going to be competitive. Very pumped up for this one!

Lehigh'98
November 9th, 2021, 12:00 PM
Picking Fordham here 28-24. Should be a good game.

NY Crusader 2010
November 9th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Does the winner of this game sneak into the Top 25? I think so...

It's too bad that Fordham didn't beat Monmouth and HC didn't fall apart against Merrimack. If those two games had gone our respective ways, we'd be talking about the Fordham-HC loser possibly looking at an at-large bid either way.

Now, it's elimination game for the conference and for a playoff berth. Certainly adds some juice!

crusader11
November 9th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Now, it's elimination game for the conference and for a playoff berth. Certainly adds some juice!

A bunch of things would have to fall HC's way, but I think at 8-3 they may have a chance at an at-large.

Need some of the other bubble teams to lose games, and it wouldn't hurt if Monmouth won the Big South and Yale co-champs in the Ivy. An 8-3 record with those two wins plus the UConn win would, at the very least, make the committee think about an at-large...especially if the bubble is weak this year.

DFW HOYA
November 9th, 2021, 01:58 PM
A bunch of things would have to fall HC's way, but I think at 8-3 they may have a chance at an at-large.

There a chance but the bottom of the PL standings will not help its case. The remaining five teams have a cumulative record of 10-34 (.227)

ngineer
November 9th, 2021, 02:07 PM
The Holy Cross loss to Merrimack is a head scratcher, but my experience is that everyone is allowed one screwup game a season. Plus, it came early. The loss to Harvard is nothing to worry about, as they are very good. If the Rams get a bounce or two to go their way and pull off the win, I would think HC would still stand a fair chance at an at large. Possible that regional travel for the first round playoffs could go into the equation?

DFW HOYA
November 9th, 2021, 02:21 PM
The loss to Harvard is nothing to worry about, as they are very good.

Agree but the committee tends to ignore the Ivies as serious competition.

Fordham
November 9th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Agree but the committee tends to ignore the Ivies as serious competition.

that combined with the PL stink makes it a tough go at 8-3 imo. I think they would deserve it but I feel like they needed to spend more amount of time in the top 25 during the year to make it happen

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Anyone who loses to Nebraska deserves shame.
HC by 20+

Pard4Life
November 9th, 2021, 07:49 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooh ... I beg to differ.

I totally get why HC are favorites but we have a very experienced group and we're going to be competitive. Very pumped up for this one!

Ok.

Lafayette was competitive against Fordham.

Lehigh had Fordham beat.

Lafayette and Lehigh are terrible.

Holy Cross handled both.

I see consistency versus volatility.

The Boogie Down
November 10th, 2021, 06:30 PM
I see consistency versus volatility.

Agree w/the "consistency vs. volatility" comparison. Holy Cross slowly but steadily thwarted off Lehigh and then, in easier fashion, beat down Lafayette. Fordham, otoh, fell asleep on both Eastern Pa teams. But, when it came time to win, Fordham won. Outscored Lafayette 16-6 in the final 13 minutes of that contest. Outscored Lehigh 21-0 in the final 13 minutes of the next. When combining those two endings (and not counting victory formation drives), Fordham had the ball 6 times and scored 6 times. Easily too. Only faced one 4th down in those combined 6 drives. There, the Rams settled for a 19 yard chip shot.

So yeah, this could be a case of consistency vs. volatility, but that doesn't necessarily mean that one way of winning is superior to the other. Thankfully, we'll all know for sure in 3 days.

NY Crusader 2010
November 10th, 2021, 06:47 PM
The Holy Cross loss to Merrimack is a head scratcher, but my experience is that everyone is allowed one screwup game a season. Plus, it came early. The loss to Harvard is nothing to worry about, as they are very good. If the Rams get a bounce or two to go their way and pull off the win, I would think HC would still stand a fair chance at an at large. Possible that regional travel for the first round playoffs could go into the equation?

I don't believe the committee factors in regionalization as far as picking bubble teams. Obviously, that would be egregiously unfair. Once the field is determined, they choose the most regionalized bracket possible with the exception of re-matches in the Round of 24.

Holy Cross would be the first Patriot League team ever to win an at-large berth at 8-3 -- of course with the 24-team bracket it's not impossible and will happen at some point. The 2016 Fordham team that boat-raced HC at Yankee Stadium finished 8-3 and was one of the first few teams on the wrong side of the bubble. An early season loss to Monmouth did that team in -- they would've been a lock at 9-2.

If Holy Cross loses Saturday and DOESN'T win an at-large, we will become only the 2nd PL team to beat an FBS team AND not make the playoffs in the same year. The other was...drum roll...a mediocre Holy Cross team that beat the worst Army team in the history of West Point football in 2002.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 10th, 2021, 08:51 PM
I don't believe the committee factors in regionalization as far as picking bubble teams. Obviously, that would be egregiously unfair. Once the field is determined, they choose the most regionalized bracket possible with the exception of re-matches in the Round of 24.

Holy Cross would be the first Patriot League team ever to win an at-large berth at 8-3 -- of course with the 24-team bracket it's not impossible and will happen at some point. The 2016 Fordham team that boat-raced HC at Yankee Stadium finished 8-3 and was one of the first few teams on the wrong side of the bubble. An early season loss to Monmouth did that team in -- they would've been a lock at 9-2.

If Holy Cross loses Saturday and DOESN'T win an at-large, we will become only the 2nd PL team to beat an FBS team AND not make the playoffs in the same year. The other was...drum roll...a mediocre Holy Cross team that beat the worst Army team in the history of West Point football in 2002.

1998 Colgate made it with an 8-3 record....

Also, 2002 Lehigh went 8-4 with a FBS win and didn't make the playoffs. Ascended to #2 in the rankings though following a 69-0 win over Georgetown in early September (highest ever for a PL in the "playoff era") before injuries derailed the season....

DFW HOYA
November 10th, 2021, 09:34 PM

Also, 2002 Lehigh went 8-4 with a FBS win and didn't make the playoffs. Ascended to #2 in the rankings though following a 69-0 win over Georgetown in early September (highest ever for a PL in the "playoff era") before injuries derailed the season....

2011: Georgetown was 8-3 and got zero consideration.

crusader11
November 10th, 2021, 10:37 PM
2011: Georgetown was 8-3 and got zero consideration.

Those wins over Davidson, Marist, Howard, and Wagner weren’t convincing I guess.

DFW HOYA
November 10th, 2021, 10:51 PM
Those wins over Davidson, Marist, Howard, and Wagner weren’t convincing I guess.

Sometimes, they are the only ones that return the calls. (Wagner and Howard, not anymore.)

ngineer
November 10th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Heck, didn't we go 10-1 a few years back and not get an at-large?

The Boogie Down
November 11th, 2021, 01:34 AM
Btw - Aside from this being the league's de facto title game, this is also a rivalry game. One that comes w/a trophy. Not just any trophy but one in honor of,,, The Iron Major!

NY Crusader 2010
November 11th, 2021, 05:56 AM

Yes. And that was after the bracket had expanded to 20. But not yet 24. The year was 2012 IIRC.

NY Crusader 2010
November 11th, 2021, 05:58 AM

I thought they were the AQ that year. And wasn't that the first year the PL dropped the post-season ban?

Lehigh'98
November 11th, 2021, 06:30 AM
I thought they were the AQ that year. And wasn't that the first year the PL dropped the post-season ban?

Lehigh was 11-0 that regular season. Got the AQ. Colgate had a helluva team though. I think 97 was first year for AQ, which Colgate got. Bucknell had probably their two best teams ever in 96/97. Ashame they didn’t get a shot at the playoffs.

Fordham
November 11th, 2021, 06:58 AM
Btw - Aside from this being the league's de facto title game, this is also a rivalry game. One that comes w/a trophy. Not just any trophy but one in honor of,,, The Iron Major!
love it.

Also, we have a thread about this game on the Fordham board and there's a discussion of how this really should be the final game of the season every year for both of us. It's such natural rivalry. The consensus is that the league doesn't want to risk having other rivalry games potentially take away from the marquee Lehigh-Lafayette game. Is that valid? Or is there some other reason they won't make it a last-week-rivalry game? Or is it just something no one has ever done but there's no reason they wouldn't (in your opinion)?

Curious for the board's thoughts on that, particularly given the large # of posters from Lehigh and Lafayette here.

BNiche
November 11th, 2021, 09:02 AM
love it.

Also, we have a thread about this game on the Fordham board and there's a discussion of how this really should be the final game of the season every year for both of us. It's such natural rivalry. The consensus is that the league doesn't want to risk having other rivalry games potentially take away from the marquee Lehigh-Lafayette game. Is that valid? Or is there some other reason they won't make it a last-week-rivalry game? Or is it just something no one has ever done but there's no reason they wouldn't (in your opinion)?

Curious for the board's thoughts on that, particularly given the large # of posters from Lehigh and Lafayette here.

Logistically, I may be talking out of my rear end, but could you possibly do both rivalry games but one is on a Friday night and the other on Saturday (rotate which game gets one)? Gives both games a bit of that solo game spotlight, though I would assume the teams playing Friday night would not be happy with one less day to prep.

Rivalry games bring energy no matter what, but there is something about a Friday night football game at Jack Coffey - hyped-up students especially.

Bill
November 11th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Logistically, I may be talking out of my rear end, but could you possibly do both rivalry games but one is on a Friday night and the other on Saturday (rotate which game gets one)? Gives both games a bit of that solo game spotlight, though I would assume the teams playing Friday night would not be happy with one less day to prep.

Rivalry games bring energy no matter what, but there is something about a Friday night football game at Jack Coffey - hyped-up students especially.

BNiche,

Not a bad idea, but the problem on our end is lights...Lehigh doesn't have them. While I can't speak for my Lafayette friends, I cannot imagine they would like to play our game at night...nothing to do with prep time, but rather the entire weekend experience would be different.

Sader87
November 11th, 2021, 05:24 PM
I watched the "Iron Major" recently, DVRd it off of Turner Classic Movies. Pretty cornball but a fun watch. Remembah watching it as a kid; one of my Dad's faves.

Are we looking at a sell-out Saturday? I know a fair amount of NYC-area HCers are going.

NY Crusader 2010
November 12th, 2021, 06:31 AM
love it.

The issue lies within odd numbers. Seven football schools in the conference. Every year, someone not named Lehigh and Lafayette has to end the season with a BYE (or occasionally a road game at Army now that we can play FBS teams again). The end-of-season bye rotates amongst the five schools that don't participate in the oldest rivalry game in the history of organized sports.

If we added an eighth football member, end-of-season rivalries could be set up. Let's hypothetically say Duquesne:

HC-Fordham
Colgate-Bucknell
Lehigh-Lafayette
Georgetown-Duquesne

BigCat
November 12th, 2021, 08:34 AM
I think Fordham wins a close one

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2021, 09:10 AM
The issue lies within odd numbers. Seven football schools in the conference. Every year, someone not named Lehigh and Lafayette has to end the season with a BYE (or occasionally a road game at Army now that we can play FBS teams again). The end-of-season bye rotates amongst the five schools that don't participate in the oldest rivalry game in the history of organized sports.

If we added an eighth football member, end-of-season rivalries could be set up. Let's hypothetically say Duquesne:

HC-Fordham
Colgate-Bucknell
Lehigh-Lafayette
Georgetown-Duquesne

In that scenario you have three rivalries and a schedule filler. At this point, Georgetown has as much a rivalry with Duquesne as it does with Towson.

For a variety of reasons, 20 years in the PL have done nothing to engender any serious rivalries with or from Georgetown, so the PL is better off giving Georgetown week 12 off, to find a non-conference game or end the season a week early.

N.B. : The oldest rivalry game in the history of organized sports is the baseball series with Amherst-Williams (1869).

Sader87
November 12th, 2021, 02:18 PM
I would rank (in terms of # of games played, intensity of the rivalry) Holy Cross' football rivals from a HC perspective post WW2 thusly:

1. BC
2. Dartmouth
3. Harvard
4. Colgate
5. UMass
6. Army
7. Yale
8. Fordham
9. Brown
10. UConn

Although we have a much longah history with the Red Raidahhs, I think the Rams would be a bettah "rival game" for a host of reasons (institutionally, geographically etc)

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2021, 02:49 PM
I would rank (in terms of # of games played, intensity of the rivalry) Holy Cross' football rivals from a HC perspective post WW2 thusly:

1. BC
2. Dartmouth
3. Harvard
4. Colgate
5. UMass
6. Army
7. Yale
8. Fordham
9. Brown
10. UConn

Although we have a much longah history with the Red Raidahhs, I think the Rams would be a bettah "rival game" for a host of reasons (institutionally, geographically etc)

That's a solid list, which by comparison Georgetown fails on. By number of games since WWII (62 seasons), Georgetown's "rivals" include:

1. Fordham (45 games)
2. St. Peter's (29 games, SPC dropped football in 2007)
3. Catholic (27 games, once since 1993)
4. Holy Cross (23 games)
5. St. John's (22 games, SJU dropped football in 2003)

The optimal rivalry set would be:
1. Villanova (10 games, last played in 1950)
2. Connecticut (never played)
3. Navy (19 games, last played in 1929)
4. Pennsylvania (6 games, last played in 2008)

None of these four are even remotely interested. Hence, the problem.

Pard4Life
November 12th, 2021, 04:32 PM

Also, 2002 Lehigh went 8-4 with a FBS win and didn't make the playoffs. Ascended to #2 in the rankings though following a 69-0 win over Georgetown in early September (highest ever for a PL in the "playoff era") before a colossal 14-7 upset loss to Lafayette derailed the season....

^ Fixed above for you

- - - Updated - - -

:D

Pard4Life
November 12th, 2021, 04:36 PM
N.B. : The oldest rivalry game in the history of organized sports is the baseball series with Amherst-Williams (1869).

When was it held? Lafayette played Lehigh in baseball in October 1869. And I'm not sure that is the case... I think there is an Oxford-Cambridge regatta.

Pard4Life
November 12th, 2021, 04:46 PM
love it.

I do not understand how 'Lafayette-Lehigh' sucks the air out of the final weekend. Each rivalry is unique and stands on its own. What exactly is the Patriot League's role in promoting Lafayette-Lehigh? How would it detract from Fordham-Holy Cross rallying their alumni bases to have a great final regular season game? If anything it adds to the PL dynamic by having a title up for grabs with four teams usually in the middle of the race.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2021, 04:50 PM
I do not understand how 'Lafayette-Lehigh' sucks the air out of the final weekend. Each rivalry is unique and stands on its own. What exactly is the Patriot League's role in promoting Lafayette-Lehigh? How would it detract from Fordham-Holy Cross rallying their alumni bases to have a great final regular season game? If anything it adds to the PL dynamic by having a title up for grabs with four teams usually in the middle of the race.

It is an issue because the league has basically made the statement that Colgate-Holy Cross doesn't matter, much the Ivy deemphasizing other rivalries to protect H-Y.

Conferences protect some rivalries and not others. The SEC does not put Auburn-Alabama in week 5, nor the Big Ten slotting Michigan-Ohio State in late October.

Pard4Life
November 12th, 2021, 04:51 PM
That's a solid list, which by comparison Georgetown fails on. By number of games since WWII (62 seasons), Georgetown's "rivals" include:

1. Fordham (45 games)
2. St. Peter's (29 games, SPC dropped football in 2007)
3. Catholic (27 games, once since 1993)
4. Holy Cross (23 games)
5. St. John's (22 games, SJU dropped football in 2003)

Oh wow... St. Peter's and St. John's football... I remember! Anyone recall LaSalle football?

Lafayette's post WWII rivals are:

1) Lehigh
2) Bucknell
3) Rutgers
4) Penn
5) ?? Colgate

All-time though:

1) Lehigh
2) Penn
3) Bucknell
4) Rutgers
5) Washington & Jefferson

Not sure if you can call Princeton a 'rival' given we have beaten them four times since 1882, in 50 games.

ngineer
November 13th, 2021, 12:11 AM

Agreed. I think it actually gives the League a little 'boost' to be able to hype their longtime rivalries. I think keeping the 'big' rivalry games on the same weekend every year is so that most people who want to attend can count on the calendar date for planning ahead. I know in our family, the moment anyone talks about doing "something" involving traveling somewhere in November, the first question is.."when is Lafayette game?"

Fordham
November 13th, 2021, 08:30 AM

Why UCONN?

Fwiw, I would think Fordham and HC clearly make the most sense from Gtown’s perspective given the Jesuit connection and # of times played.

The belief from HC and Fordham fans is that the league won’t schedule the two of us as the last game of the season despite both schools clearly wanting to. The major reason given is that the league doesn’t want to have anything detract from the marquee rivalry game. Think of what would happen if this game were taking place next week. To the extent there is interest in PL football, a lot of it would be on what’s going on in the Bronx/Worcester and not Easton/Bethlehem

Not sure if the assertions above are true or not but that’s just what the consensus seems to be from both schools fanbases (as far as I can tell) since most would like this to be our rivalry season-ending game (me included).

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 12:14 PM
7-0 HC after a workman-like drive down the field to open the game. Lots of Sluka and Oliver.

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 12:21 PM
For such a strong sports journalism / media / comms school, you'd think Fordham would have a better broadcast of games.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 13th, 2021, 12:23 PM
There is some nasty weather just west of NYC and headed towards the city. I have to think conditions will be rather ugly as the game nears half. Right now it's raining sideways and the wind is gusting 30+ at Lehigh. Absolutely miserable....

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2021, 12:28 PM
There is some nasty weather just west of NYC and headed towards the city. I have to think conditions will be rather ugly as the game nears half. Right now it's raining sideways and the wind is gusting 30+ at Lehigh. Absolutely miserable....
Colgate at Lafayette was apparently delayed a half hour

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 12:34 PM
10-0 HC. Dropped ball in the endzone would have made it 14.

Very clear that HC is going to move the ball on the ground today.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2021, 12:38 PM
After 1, CU 7 LC 6 (PAT attempt affected by wind/rain?)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 13th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Rams right down the field. Set up with a perfect pass that gained most of the yards...

HC 10-7 1:43 1Q

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2021, 12:40 PM
And OUCH at half Army 42 Bucknell 0...YIKES!

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 12:46 PM
17-7 HC. Flea flicker to Ayeni was a 51-yard play for the score.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 13th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Crusaders answer right back!

BNiche
November 13th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Fordham answers right back!

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Well, TD is exposing the HC secondary today...which is certainly pales in comparison to the front seven.

BNiche
November 13th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Clouds are coming... rain would play even more to HC so bias coming, but hoping it somehow holds off.

I accidentally got my HC friend and I tickets... in the HC section here. Big fan of Crusader alums though. Y'all are pretty friendly.

BNiche
November 13th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Another Fordham TD - this has been a GAME so far.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 13th, 2021, 01:18 PM

And right on cue....

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 02:03 PM
3:25 resumption. 10 minute halftime.

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 02:28 PM
What a joke Fordham's production of this game is.

You'd think they'd have the best production of all PL schools. Just terrible.

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 03:05 PM
Huge puddles on the field. How old is the field turf at JCF?

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 03:36 PM
38-24.

Going to be tough for Fordham to get back into this one, especially with HC's ability to grind this game down on the ground.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2021, 03:42 PM
Does Fordham need some new turf? It looks worn on the video feed.

BNiche
November 13th, 2021, 03:43 PM
Congrats, HC.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 13th, 2021, 03:44 PM
Holy Cross with a huge interception to end a promising Ram drive. Simply a bad throw into double coverage. That might be the proverbial dagger....

- - - Updated - - -

Does Fordham need some new turf? It looks worn on the video feed.

I think so! It also suffers from a terrible glare problem. Time to pony up some cash.....

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Run it up!

From down 24-17 to up 45-24.

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 04:02 PM
I'd have to look at the numbers, but it ain't pretty to how Chesney has out-dueled Conlin in the second halves of all their meetings.

BNiche
November 13th, 2021, 04:03 PM
The lightning delay that ended Fordham's season...

Seriously, the team looked completely different after the delay. Awful preparation.

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 04:04 PM

Seriously, the team looked completely different after the delay. Awful preparation.

Is that what the narrative will be?

BNiche
November 13th, 2021, 04:08 PM
That Conlin didn't have this team ready after the delay? Yeah. What else do you want? Already congratulated HC for clearly being the superior team.

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 04:10 PM
That Conlin didn't have this team ready after the delay? Yeah. What else do you want? Already congratulated HC for clearly being the superior team.

Oh, okay. I thought you were inferring that the lightening delay alone was the reason HC totally flipped the game in their direction.

I had a feeling HC's ground game was going to wear Fordham out. What made me nervous was our secondary...but our front seven finally got to DeMorat to disrupt him.

Chesney clearly has Conlin's number.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 13th, 2021, 04:13 PM
Holy Cross has the best coach in the league and its not even close. It's actually sad how poor the coaching is in the league outside of Worcester. Fordham is stacked with talent/athletes but Conlin can't get out of his own way at times in terms of preparation/getting the Rams over the hump. This game was similar to the spring battle where the Rams had the momentum then bam, Chesney and Company change things up (put in Sluka) and Fordham has zero answers.

The only saving grace for the rest of the league is Chesney is not going to be at HC much longer....

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 04:16 PM
35 unanswered points.

52-24 HC.

Digby
November 13th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Let’s go Cross! The low quality of the league will unfortunately not help in seeding. The PL has no clout.
FWIW - not much now - the College Sports Journal picked Fordham to face URI.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 13th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Let’s go Cross! The low quality of the league will unfortunately not help in seeding. The PL has no clout.

Chance they get to host the NEC champ? Or will that be Rhode Island?

The big question is can Holy Cross beat a legit Top 20 team in the playoffs?

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 04:27 PM
That loss to Merrimack is a real shame. May not get a seed at 10-1, but could have avoided an opening round game.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2021, 04:33 PM
FWIW - not much now - the College Sports Journal picked Fordham to face URI.

The PL has been skidding into the ditch for years and the league has done nothing about it.

Sader87
November 13th, 2021, 05:22 PM
HC has actually improved a lot in the PL undah Chesney.....as long as he is at HC do any other PL teams really stand a chance??? I really don't think so.

crusader11
November 13th, 2021, 05:34 PM
HC has actually improved a lot in the PL undah Chesney.....as long as he is at HC do any other PL teams really stand a chance??? I really don't think so.

Colgate and Lehigh are the two programs that, historically, should be able to quickly challenge HC...but I don't believe in either of the guys leading those programs.

Chesney has proven to totally embarrass Joe Conlin when it counts.

Bucknell, Georgetown, and Lafayette are pretty much after thoughts. If Lafayette cared about football, they'd part ways with Garrett after this season.

I'd be curious to know where HC's average score differential in the PL this year ranks all time. Going into hapless Bucknell, HC is +27.6 points per game.

All of this is well and good, but if Chesney doesn't find a way to win a game or two in the playoffs this year, HC are viewed as the tallest midget.

ngineer
November 13th, 2021, 06:04 PM

No question such an interruption/delay can have such an effect. I've seen it happen several times before; however, it does ultimately end up in coach's lap in having his team ready to go afterward and having used the interruption to his team's advantage by using the time to make adjustments. Years ago, Lehigh was trouncing Penn, something like 24-3 when a lightning storm stopped play for about 40 minutes. After the break, it was like two different teams and we ended up losing. Probably about 15 years ago or so.
I got a 'partial score' on the radio on my way home from Goodman, and thought it was 21-17 in the fourth quarter, and saw visions of the three way tie occuring had that held and 'gate beaten the Rams. No such worry. Cross should give any top 20 team trouble.

Fordham
November 13th, 2021, 06:19 PM
Better team won. Congrats HC. And good luck in the playoffs.

DFW, not sure what ditch you’re referring to but you’re way off base. The program is rising under Conlin. Chesney owns him. That staff is so good. But Conlin and staff improving and recruiting as well as ever. A lot of medical redshirts next year means almost the whole team returns

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2021, 06:25 PM
DFW, not sure what ditch you’re referring to but you’re way off base. The program is rising under Conlin. Chesney owns him. That staff is so good. But Conlin and staff improving and recruiting as well as ever. A lot of medical redshirts next year means almost the whole team returns

The ditch referred to the league as a whole, not today's title combatants. The league doesn't seem to be showing signs of progress.

Fordham
November 13th, 2021, 06:44 PM
The ditch referred to the league as a whole, not today's title combatants. The league doesn't seem to be showing signs of progress.

Got it, thanks. Can’t argue that

caribbeanhen
November 13th, 2021, 06:50 PM
Holy Cross, good luck In playoffs

win one for Sader

ngineer
November 13th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Holy Cross, good luck In playoffs

win one for Sader

Let's not get too confident...the 'saders must still travel to "The Bubble" in Lewisburg, Pa... Anyone want to prognosticate the line?:D Though I guess, the 'saders would go regardless due to beating Fordham and Colgate.

MUHAWKS
November 14th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Congratulations to Holy cross! Well earned and other than if we get in and have to play you will be pulling for the Crusaders to make some noise.

NY Crusader 2010
November 14th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Better team won. Congrats HC. And good luck in the playoffs.

Let's team up and be a two-bid league in 2022.

Digby
November 14th, 2021, 04:26 PM
If Holy Cross has the best coach, what does Lehigh have?

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2021, 04:39 PM
If Holy Cross has the best coach, what does Lehigh have?

The guy that Holy Cross got rid of to become a champion?