PDA

View Full Version : App State Win - FCS coverage in MT

Proud Griz Man
September 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
xnodx

App State makes a statement to Griz and the rest of the FCS
By GREG RACHAC Of The Gazette Staff

MISSOULA - Does anybody else think there's a giant gap between Nos. 1 and 2 in this thing they call the FCS?

If not, here's a little reminder:

Appalachian State 34, Michigan 32.

That's Michigan, as in the Michigan Wolverines
It's true.

Saturday afternoon in Ann Arbor, Mich., some 1,500 miles from Washington-Grizzly Stadium, the Football Championship Subdivision's (formerly I-AA) top-ranked team pulled an upset for the ages by beating the mighty Maize and Blue.

While it was a great victory for the FCS - Appalachian State's win was the first ever for a I-AA team over a ranked team - a collective groan was voiced by rival teams. The question now is: Can anybody catch up to the Mountaineers?

The Montana Grizzlies, the No. 2 team in the FCS, weren't spectacular in a 37-17 victory over Southern Utah in their simultaneous home opener on Saturday. While the Grizzlies will take that kind of win every time, they have to be thinking deep down about just what it will take to keep pace with the Mountaineers, the back-to-back defending FCS national champions.

When asked about his reaction to ASU's gigantic win, Griz coach Bobby Hauck didn't seem overly excited.

"I just heard that from Mick (Grizzlies' radio voice Mick Holein)," Hauck said. "Good for them. I can't wait to call Jerry (ASU coach Jerry Moore) and tell him nice job."

Get on the horn, Bobby. Moore deserves it. And while you're at it, tell him to take it easy on the rest of his team's opponents.

Seven years ago, Montana beat Appalachian State in the Division I-AA semifinals at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. It was a thrilling game that ended in overtime with a Jimmy Farris touchdown catch in the corner of the north end zone. But since that dramatic contest, Appalachian State has clearly caught - and passed - not only the Grizzlies, but all of Division I-AA.

For 20 years, dating back to Don Read's tenure, the Grizzlies have been busy establishing themselves as the most prominent team in the nation.

But just in the last three years, Appalachian State has been on a tear, wiping out everything in its way.

Every year, Montana is ranked at least in the Top 5 in the FCS polls, and this one is no different. With 16 returning starters from a team that nearly went to Chattanooga, Tenn., for the FCS title game last season, the Grizzlies again have national championship aspirations.

But right now, they're eons away from Appalachian State.

Everyone is.

It appears the road to Chattanooga will once again go through - or end at - Appalachian State.

The Mountaineers brought loads of talent back from last year's title team, which featured a dazzling freshman quarterback in Armanti Edwards who put on a show, at least statistically, against Michigan. Yes, the Mountaineers are loaded once again and, obviously, not going anywhere anytime soon.

So no matter how well Montana or Montana State do in our little corner of the world this season, fans must realize exactly what it will take to bring home a national title this season. It will take a gigantic effort by some team. And right now, they all have a lot of catching up to do.

Greg Rachac can be reached at 657-1397 or [email protected]

psc2445
September 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
that's pretty sweet, to get some pub in a opponents market. this has been unbelievable

ngineer
September 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
ASU has certainly become the current dynasty..but that makes for interesting challenges..GSU was the big gorilla that 'no one would ever lay glove on, again.', but time moves on. As General Patton said in the movie, when the conquoring general returned in ancient Rome, a slave holding the victory wreath from behind over his head would whisper, "All glory is quickly fleeting"...Someone will be coming along sooner than later to swipe the Mountaineers' mantel--who has the cahones to do it? It's why the game is playedxnodx

bshgriz
September 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
At the game yesterday the announcer was announcing the scores and every time he announced a App lead they got applause around the stadium.Not bad for a team across the country,also shows how much people in Montana hate Michigan.