PDA

View Full Version : John Grass Steps Down as Jacksonville State Head Coach

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2021, 04:55 PM
He finishes his tenure with the Gamecocks with a 72-26 record, the greatest stretch of academic success in JSU football history, and 6 conference titles.

As much as us JSU fans griped and complained about the penalties and whatnot, he's immensely responsible for bringing Jacksonville State football to national relevance, bringing our University to the heights we've seen in the past few years and given us an excellent foundation to improve upon in the future.

And for that I say Thank You Coach Grass.

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Special Teams coach Max Thurmond is to be the interim head coach for the last two games of the season.

katss07
November 6th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Congratulations

CockyGeek
November 6th, 2021, 05:29 PM
I wish him all the best at whatever program he decides to take to mediocrity next.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2021, 05:32 PM
He finishes his tenure with the Gamecocks with a 72-26 record, the greatest stretch of academic success in JSU football history, and 6 conference titles.

As much as us JSU fans griped and complained about the penalties and whatnot, he's immensely responsible for bringing Jacksonville State football to national relevance, bringing our University to the heights we've seen in the past few years and given us an excellent foundation to improve upon in the future.

And for that I say Thank You Coach Grass.ursus - this account has, obviously, been hacked

bonarae
November 6th, 2021, 05:57 PM
I wish him all the best at whatever program he decides to take to mediocrity next.

Do you think he'll be next in line for a PL or Ivy opening? Or is it too far north and/or philosophically apart for his style?

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2021, 05:59 PM
ursus - this account has, obviously, been hacked
My issues with Grass have always been about his coaching style. He's done a lot for the university and I'm honestly thankful he's stepping away before the program really begins to suffer for it on a large scale.

Would it have been nice to have more success in the playoffs? Yes. But when looking at the program during his tenure as a whole compared to where it was before he and Clark came in, we are much better off than we were. I have my criticisms but I genuinely wish him the best going forward and I feel he's owed a thank you for what he did accomplish.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2021, 06:06 PM
What's the story behind this? Mutual agreement to part ways? Can't imagine it was his decision solely since he was in line for a pay raise as an FBS head coach.

Mocs123
November 6th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Did JSU use the money it was supposed to pay the OVC to buy him out? xlolx

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2021, 06:11 PM
What's the story behind this? Mutual agreement to part ways? Can't imagine it was his decision solely since he was in line for a pay raise as an FBS head coach.

Did JSU use the money it was supposed to pay the OVC to buy him out? xlolx

No buyout necessary. His contract is up after this season and he has enough years with the state for a full retirement.

Mocs123
November 6th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Well that worked out well for JSU. Why did he not announce he was stepping down after the season and coach the last couple of games? I guess at this point it doesn't matter, but you'd think JSU would fair as well with him at the helm the past few games then with his assistants running the show without him. I guess at this point JSU really isn't playing for anything.

When do they officially start playing in C-USA?

CockyGeek
November 6th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Well that worked out well for JSU. Why did he not announce he was stepping down after the season and coach the last couple of games? I guess at this point it doesn't matter, but you'd think JSU would fair as well with him at the helm the past few games then with his assistants running the show without him. I guess at this point JSU really isn't playing for anything.

When do they officially start playing in C-USA?

Start playing in 2023. Something weird must have happened behind the scenes to force him out this week.

Do you think he'll be next in line for a PL or Ivy opening? Or is it too far north and/or philosophically apart for his style?

He's extremely Southern. I doubt he would ever leave the Deep South. I don't think he's ever been seriously considered for another job since he's been here. I don't even know where he could end up.

Cocky
November 6th, 2021, 07:20 PM
Not being in on any of the FBS conversation may have been a hint.

He will be back coaching soon. Most likely at the high school level coaching his son. 6th grader now.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2021, 07:26 PM
No buyout necessary. His contract is up after this season and he has enough years with the state for a full retirement.
Nice... I envy the guy for being in that position at only age 53. Something tells me he'll find a landing spot in coaching somewhere if he wants one but that's a hell of a nice position to be in regardless.

Daytripper
November 6th, 2021, 09:08 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere here. https://www.gadsdentimes.com/story/sports/college/football/2021/11/06/jacksonville-state-football-john-grass-resigns-football-coach/6318711001/

If this is redundant, please remove.

Daytripper
November 6th, 2021, 09:09 PM
I didn't scroll down far enough and posted an new thread. Please ignore...or mods can remove.

walliver
November 7th, 2021, 07:35 AM
I am not a fan of the early signing day (which I suspect is the cause of this in-season "retirement"). It used to be that a season ended and then the coaching carousel began. Now it seems like coaches are forced out early before the early signing period. It also means that players will find out about coaching changes at times after the early signing period.

Outsider1
November 7th, 2021, 08:40 AM
I find this extremely ironic compared to where we are as a program. If he wants to come over and coach in some wind and mesquites, I am sure there are people here willing to talk to him. We have a dismal record for 5 years with one of the "winningest" coaches in College history and get manhandled by this guy and he ends up leaving right after our game. Yeah, Dorrel has helped elevate our academics in football, like he was asked to do. He couldn't run a successful football program at the FCS level to save his life though. JSU has been consistently relevant and successful for years. They have haven't had a losing record in years. Some may moan the lack of titles, but that isn't everything. A successful program kicks a coach out before the season ends and we still sit in waiting for successful decisions to be made; even after being embarrassed by said program.

Cocky
November 7th, 2021, 09:17 AM
JSU fans are not always reasonable when it comes to winning. Expectations are high, but the money isnt.

Im just as bad as the others with this thought process.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2021, 09:23 AM
JSU fans are not always reasonable when it comes to winning. Expectations are high, but the money isnt.

Im just as bad as the others with this thought process.
I've said before, my issues with Grass weren't tied directly to wins and losses. It was an inability to improve in any meaningful way. Grass ran the same plays in 2013 that he did yesterday. Even with different personnel and different situations. Penalties and discipline were NEVER addressed. The team the past couple years hasn't been the type to leave it all out on the field every game.

To be fair, yesterday the team looked inspired. But given that they knew it was coaches last game, that was to be expect. Akin to the pumpkin smash against EKU and 2015.

Living in Michigan I've gotten the privilege of watching every Lions game on the way to their 0-8 record. And you know what? I've enjoyed watching their games this year. Dan Campbell has had them playing inspired and competing in games they have no business even being in. That's what I enjoy watching. Yes they are bad, but you can tell they're leaving everything out on the field and giving it 100%. Except for the Bengals and Eagles games. Those were bad. But it's the Lions and not my point. Extreme example, I don't want to go 0-8 but I want a coach from that Dan Campbell/ Mike Vrable type of cloth that makes his guys play hard for him week in and week out. JSU needs some grit.

Outsider1
November 7th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Perspective is still a big issue here...

CockyGeek
November 7th, 2021, 09:50 AM
JSU has been the laughingstock of the playoffs for the past 6 years if they've made it. OVC titles look great on the banner, but whatever. That era is gone now. We have to hope for a coach who can get us to 6-6 and go to the Bahamas Bowl in 5 years. Times, they are a changing.

tigonian02
November 7th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Was this a good decision? The man's playoff record sucks, but he averaged 10 wins per year. This feels like GT getting rid of Paul Johnson.

In any case. I hope that Georgia Southern at least talks to him about becoming our OC. The timing is good.

nickp
November 7th, 2021, 11:42 AM
John Grass is an outstanding football coach but he’s a better man

Outsider1
November 7th, 2021, 01:18 PM
He helped get JSU an FBS invite, again, poor perspective...

CockyGeek
November 7th, 2021, 05:05 PM
If you want him you can have him. He's completely lost the team this year. They were having danceoffs on the field while getting curb stomped by Central Arkansas.

Outsider1
November 7th, 2021, 05:35 PM
If you want him you can have him. He's completely lost the team this year. They were having danceoffs on the field while getting curb stomped by Central Arkansas.

Again, you have had a winning record for over a decade, close to two decades. Even the threat of one losing season and you lose it. It's amazing how loss of perspective clouds the mind. The other day, you were getting positive press about moving to the FBS on ESPN and all the local press, while killing it on the field. Learn a little sense of gratitude before you implode. UCA is also a very decent football team with a good history of being relevant. Bear needs to understand that as much as you need to stop griping over nothing.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2021, 05:40 PM
He helped get JSU an FBS invite, again, poor perspective...
Perspective is different based on your program expectations. We're a program that's been to 6 postseason bids in 8 years, been to Frisco, been a staple in the top 10 for years, and pulled in six conference championships. We are now staring down our first losing season in 19 years.

To someone who is a fan of a team with one lone 6-5 season since moving to D1 it probably sounds insane.

But to fans at NDSU, SHSU, and other programs that expect top tier success, this move is the culmination of years of underperformance with respect to expectation.

So maybe poor perspective from your point of view, but at the end of the day, we just have loftier goals. Our program is at a different stage in the game. Not to say the move can't backfire, it absolutely can. We could hire a dud. But we reached our ceiling with Grass and he has shown the past couple seasons he can't win big games. The move is a necessity if there is to be any more potential for growth.

In the past 3 seasons he is 18-12 against the FCS and 1-8 against ranked teams. That's unacceptable.

CockyGeek
November 7th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Again, you have had a winning record for over a decade, close to two decades. Even the threat of one losing season and you lose it. It's amazing how loss of perspective clouds the mind. The other day, you were getting positive press about moving to the FBS on ESPN and all the local press, while killing it on the field. Learn a little sense of gratitude before you implode. UCA is also a very decent football team with a good history of being relevant. Bear needs to understand that as much as you need to stop griping over nothing.

Grass isn't being fired because of a bad season. It's multiple mediocre seasons with no improvement. It's because we're consitently one of the most penalized teams in football and he takes absolutely no responsibility. He won't even play the best guys on the field. Middle schoolers can fall his plays from the sideline.

6-5 might be a lofty goal for a lot of FCS teams, but we should be winning 90% of our games with the talent we have.

Daytripper
November 7th, 2021, 06:21 PM

It's about expectations. Programs that have tasted success expect improvement to greater heights (JSU). Programs that haven't had much success historically (ACU) make the above argument. Not targeting you specifically, but you are correct....it is about perspective.

Outsider1
November 7th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Yep, it's about perspective and teams that have won conference championships and have multiple play-off games have the privilege of having those expectations. Our teams are at different points in time. We ALL have the same lofty goals of being at the top of the FCS, otherwise why play? Again, yes, the goals are the same but the perspective is different because JSU has had the privilege of having the success it has; enough success to get it to the next level of play... Kick your coach out the door all you want, on a successful day that you got mega press coverage for being good enough to move to FBS and were winning a football game. Don't be surprised at the optics that may project. Good luck to ya'll. Go for the gold as you have played good enough to deserve it inspight of the bad coach you have had.