PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread - YSU at North Dakota

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2021, 09:43 PM
YSU hits the road to North Dakota where another loss awaits. The local newspaper picked the Hawks to win by 31-13. I would tend to agree except I look for lower score game. Hawks by 28- 10.

YSU again will miss both starting OTs. Their QB may not play as well, but game time decision. Even if he plays he won’t be 100%. That means his backup, an INT machine may play. Or the former 4th team quarterback, now 3rd team after Waid entered the transfer portal, may play.

UND seems to play top MVFC teams close, so YSU faces another team where they won’t match up talent level very well. YSU will finish the season playing NDSU and SIU, both top teams in the MVFC.

The game will be played in an indoor arena, a place typically where they do not play well vs playing outdoor games. Fans in Ytown will see this game on local channel WBCB, the CW.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2021, 11:01 PM
Don't be so sure about those predictions. UND is 3-5 and can seem mighty uninterested or aloof at times. Tomorrow could definitely be one of those games. Small crowd, no playoffs.

Penguin Nation
November 6th, 2021, 09:23 AM
It’s interesting that not a single participant in the MVFC pick em picked YSU...even those desperate to gain ground late in the season.

All of UND’s conference losses were within 1 score. Only 1 of YSU’s losses were.

YSU has yet to win a road game..and Grand Forks is their furthest away game FWIW. UND has a winning home record.

YSU relies on the ground game and UND has a decent run defense.

OTOH, YSU will be feasted upon in its last two games. If I’m YSU, I’d leave everything on the field this game.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 11:04 AM
YSU will start a ramshackle lineup on the OL , moving former starting RG to RT and playing a backup at RG. LT will play a Frosh for the former Senior starter. New backups listed on the 2 deeps which means we may already be looking at 1.) needs for recruiting or 2.) testing what we have under game conditions to prep ( late as it is) for next years potential starters, poor as they are.

I chuckle as a few members of the cheerleader board continue to protect the incompetent AD and refuse to blame him for the obvious failures of the program while most are called “fair weather” fans for wanting a winning and competitive program. The board owner is a brown noser for the AD and I’ve IDed one who is an athletic dept employee masquerading as a fan. Typical influence control exerted as part of the media control by the athletic dept.

I suspect this game will have YSU facing a loaded box with little risked in a passing game limiting McLaughlin in rushing yards. He may get injured again from over use. At this point, an evaluation of those on schollies needs to be done to determine who to keep and who to let go, the AD be damned if the program is to be resurrected.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Nice drive on first possession. YSU scores on short McLaughlin run. Nice short passes to RBs

YSU 7-0

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 12:15 PM
I know you dislike local talent, watching Poland and West Branch yesterday I seen some nice players. The WB QB seemed pretty handy..

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 12:20 PM
I was rooting for Poland, but the WB QB is decent. I suspect he will end up in the MAC.

The problem is what limited talent is here passes on YSU. YSU ends up signing local talent with D-II &III skills. Kids prefer going MAC than YSU.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Wow they'll call holding on defense but UND o-line holding on every play [emoji848]

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 12:27 PM
UND with pass for TD. 7 all.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Nice drive. YSU run for TD by Turner. YSU 14-7

semobison
November 6th, 2021, 12:41 PM
Good start, the Guins can run the ball! I like their RB McLaughlin.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2021, 12:42 PM
Like I said. UND season was over at MSU

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 12:49 PM
YSU with an INT. UND QB Telegraph his throws

BeamMeUp
November 6th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Paladin, been meaning to ask your opinion on Caffey from Hubbard who has an offer from YSU, in addition to Charlotte. At one point he led the nation in rushing putting up freakish numbers against mediocre (at best) competition, but against two great squads (South Range and Canfield), he was a non-factor. I haven’t seen him in person, so I’m not sure if he has the potential to succeed at this level.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Paladin, been meaning to ask your opinion on Caffey from Hubbard who has an offer from YSU, in addition to Charlotte. At one point he led the nation in rushing putting up freakish numbers against mediocre (at best) competition, but against two great squads (South Range and Canfield), he was a non-factor. I haven’t seen him in person, so I’m not sure if he has the potential to succeed at this level.

Itis a question ,Beam. He is talented but runs behind a huge OL that steamrolls much of the competition. Canfield stuffed Hubbard last night in the playoffs and made him look average. I’m not sold on him. He could end up here but more likely a MAC or low level FBS. He is a power back, speed not great . Mostly a north south runner with limited field vision, elusiveness and moves.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Botched YSU punt. Hawks recover the fumble and have a short field.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 01:02 PM
YSU holds and they miss a FG. D is playing pretty good.

Penguin Nation
November 6th, 2021, 01:02 PM
A Jr WR...has a pass bounce off his sternum?

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Good point, PN. He has blown a lot of catches .

The Yo Show
November 6th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Crenshaw looks pretty good as a QB. I know that you aren't sold on him being all that great Paladin, but if you think about the fact that he is a RFr, he looks pretty great. If we have him for a few more years I think he could be something special (provided we don't get him hurt running him so much).

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 01:37 PM
If you are paying attention, Yo, the coaches are limiting his throws to short, to his backs, his TEs. Rarely do they dial up long passes. He isn’t accurate, ball placement isn’t often very good and he is confused on some coverages. That’s the reason most schools passed on him as a QB and told him he would be a running back that was his strength as he won 2 state championships. His legs, that’s his strength. He will usually face a loaded box. No one respects his arm.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Got to love when refs start to dictate a game in the homer advantage [emoji3063]

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Hawks hit a FG. YSU 14-10.

Lots of penalties, Red, but appears both ways

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 02:01 PM
Hawks hit a FG. YSU 14-10.

Lots of penalties, Red, but appears both waysNot enough the other way..

This game is starting to go away from the Guins. No adjustments to UNDs D.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Wow YSU on a 16 game road losing streak.. playing to make it 17 [emoji15]

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 02:11 PM
[emoji2]

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 02:12 PM
Crenshaw hangs it up and gets INT. No arm.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Crenshaw hangs it up and gets INT. No arm.I didn't see it that way he was hit throwing it. Weak ass receivers at YSU [emoji2962]

Penguin Nation
November 6th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Like watching an old lady get her purse snatched. Embarrassing.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 02:28 PM
That’s why the coaches do not have him throwing deep. Rainbow throws are easy INTs.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Crenshaw QB sneak for TD. YSU 21-10.

Crenshaw is winning the game with his feet.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 02:32 PM
Like watching an old lady get her purse snatched. Embarrassing.[emoji1787] good one..

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Uncovered man in endzone for easy Hawk TD pass.

YSU 21-16

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Hawks with 43 yd TD run by Wenah . Two pt xpt.

Hawks 24-21

Penguin Nation
November 6th, 2021, 02:54 PM
Two fumbles by same player on same play lol.

Hambone
November 6th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Huge stop for UND.

Paladin1aa
YSU stuffed on 4th down. Looks like another choke job.

Penguin Nation
Penguins can’t close again. Is it a lack of depth? Coaching?

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Penguins can’t close again. Is it a lack of depth? Coaching?Coaching. Played not to lose on defense instead of keep playing hard like they did the 1st 3 quarters.. remnants of the WIU game.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 03:03 PM
17 game road losing streak,, train keeps a rolling.. better game than I expected though..

Great game UND.

Penguin Nation
November 6th, 2021, 03:13 PM
If the Rabbits defeat the Bison today, there will be a bloodbath in Youngstown next week.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2021, 03:15 PM
If the Rabbits defeat the Bison today, there will be a bloodbath in Youngstown next week.Watching that one right now.. NDSU looks human lol..

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Congrats to the Hawks.

Listening to the 5th Qtr Show. Many morons in Ytown ! 😂

Always hilarious.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Congrats to the Hawks.

Listening to the 5th Qtr Show. Many morons in Ytown ! 😂

Always hilarious.

YSU played a nice game and this week UND actually made the comeback instead of giving it up. 10 and 8 are legit runners. UND couldn't get them down.

Penguin Nation
November 6th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Watching that one right now.. NDSU looks human lol..

Whatever the spread is.....take NDSU. The beating will be epic.

Paladin1aa
November 7th, 2021, 07:15 AM
I’ll use this as a wrap-

Game was a case of getting beat by a poor team. While UND has played a lot of teams close, they aren’t that good. YSU was even worse. The coaches are working hard on Crenshaw, his footwork and throwing mechanics but can’t fix his poor accuracy , weak arm and happy feet. Throwing rainbows leads to INT as witnessed today. The only reason Crenshaw is starting is he is their best running QB, which he does well at. But his passing skills are limited and I see little chance they will be improved upon. Look for them to keep recruiting QBs looking for a savior.

The OL actually had a decent day given their limitations as the pass protection was decent. However, it was UND. Coming up is NDSU and SIU where the truth will be known. Run blocking was adequate but give credit to McLaughlin for making them look good. Not that they are as again it was UND.

The D played well for 3 quarters then faded again. Except for a blown coverage in the endzone for a TD, the secondary showed off the best athletes on the D. Both DL and LBs played better but against a bottom half MVFC team, it should be enjoyed as the next 2 games will be brutal.

As others point out, the coaching is extremely suspect. But when you hire cheap and buy little experience you can’t expect to buy a Cadillac when you only can afford a Honda with bald tires. Thank Strollo 😳

MR. CHICKEN
November 7th, 2021, 11:16 AM
I’ll use this as a wrap-

Game was a case of getting beat by a poor team. While UND has played a lot of teams close, they aren’t that good. YSU was even worse. The coaches are working hard on Crenshaw, his footwork and throwing mechanics but can’t fix his poor accuracy , weak arm and happy feet. Throwing rainbows leads to INT as witnessed today. The only reason Crenshaw is starting is he is their best running QB, which he does well at. But his passing skills are limited and I see little chance they will be improved upon. Look for them to keep recruiting QBs looking for a savior.

The OL actually had a decent day given their limitations as the pass protection was decent. However, it was UND. Coming up is NDSU and SIU where the truth will be known. Run blocking was adequate but give credit to McLaughlin for making them look good. Not that they are as again it was UND.

The D played well for 3 quarters then faded again. Except for a blown coverage in the endzone for a TD, the secondary showed off the best athletes on the D. Both DL and LBs played better but against a bottom half MVFC team, it should be enjoyed as the next 2 games will be brutal.

As others point out, the coaching is extremely suspect. But when you hire cheap and buy little experience you can’t expect to buy a Cadillac when you only can afford a Honda with bald tires. Thank Strollo 

.....THANK GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........xprayx.....BRALK!!!! !!!!!!

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2021, 11:56 AM
I’ll use this as a wrap-

As others point out, the coaching is extremely suspect. But when you hire cheap and buy little experience you can’t expect to buy a Cadillac when you only can afford a Honda with bald tires. Thank Strollo 😳

Wow, humble writeup. Missouri State must be really, really sh@tty.

Penguin Nation
November 7th, 2021, 12:56 PM
I’ll use this as a wrap-

As others point out, the coaching is extremely suspect. But when you hire cheap and buy little experience you can’t expect to buy a Cadillac when you only can afford a Honda with bald tires. Thank Strollo 

He is the smallest QB on the roster. Does he have the size to see the field over the lines? A QB that can only scramble or throw slants seems too limited to be serviceable.

I just noticed that there's a freshman Chris Sammarone on the roster that looks just like his dad, but shorter.

Regarding Strollo... remember the the Vindy article about 10 years ago where he was quoted as saying (paraphrasing) "Championships are not the goal." He told us straight up all we needed to know.

Penguin Nation
November 7th, 2021, 12:59 PM
.....THANK GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........xprayx.....BRALK!!!! !!!!!!

Now boy, I say boy...you misspelled "BRAWK" 😁

ysubigred
November 7th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Wow, humble writeup. Missouri State must be really, really [email protected] league is full of teams that can beat any other team each week. YSU is the Miami Dolphins of the MVFC, good enough to win but just don't. A 17 game road losing streak tells you all you need to know about the logistics and coaching at Y-town.

UND has a nice team and you all should be damn proud of them.

Paladin1aa
November 7th, 2021, 02:34 PM
He is the smallest QB on the roster. Does he have the size to see the field over the lines? A QB that can only scramble or throw slants seems too limited to be serviceable.

I just noticed that there's a freshman Chris Sammarone on the roster that looks just like his dad, but shorter.

Regarding Strollo... remember the the Vindy article about 10 years ago where he was quoted as saying (paraphrasing) "Championships are not the goal." He told us straight up all we needed to know.

Of course winning championships are not the goal. The goal is corrupting the process so maximum local players get help in getting an education. That’s why the Wolf was let go. He had a winning record. He beat Pitt not some last place Can’t or Akron. He recruited solid competitive players for the MVFC wars, but he didn’t recruit local players who aren’t good enough for this level of play. Mom and Dad paid tuition to send Junior to a local parochial football factory and then because he was a star if others didn’t recruit him, YSU was the backup to get a college education. YSU is the default setting. It’s not about winning. Strollo destroyed the money sports. Heacock was kept because he gave out local schollies. Bozo stocked the cupboard with Mooney talent. Wolf wouldn’t play that game. He wanted to win.

Strollo has hired another local boy to recruit local boys. That is the system. That is the goal.

Silly, but the moaners on the cheerleader board do not understand the system. It about local corruption. Now go out there and buy those tickets and support YSU who supports the local community. Championships and winning be damned.

ysubigred
November 7th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Of course winning championships are not the goal. The goal is corrupting the process so maximum local players get help in getting an education. That’s why the Wolf was let go. He had a winning record. He beat Pitt not some last place Can’t or Akron. He recruited solid competitive players for the MVFC wars, but he didn’t recruit local players who aren’t good enough for this level of play. Mom and Dad paid tuition to send Junior to a local parochial football factory and then because he was a star if others didn’t recruit him, YSU was the backup to get a college education. YSU is the default setting. It’s not about winning. Strollo destroyed the money sports. Heacock was kept because he gave out local schollies. Bozo stocked the cupboard with Mooney talent. Wolf wouldn’t play that game. He wanted to win.

Strollo has hired another local boy to recruit local boys. That is the system. That is the goal.

Silly, but the moaners on the cheerleader board do not understand the system. It about local corruption. Now go out there and buy those tickets and support YSU who supports the local community. Championships and winning be damned.

Give it up on Wolford.. If he was worth a **** he'd be HC somewhere else.

Bozo and Phillips are no better IMO.

We do agree Strollo sucks ass..

MR. CHICKEN
November 7th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Now boy, I say boy...you misspelled "BRAWK" 

BRAWK/BRAQUE/BRALK/BRALLK/BRALQUE........AWK!

Penguin Nation
November 7th, 2021, 02:54 PM
“Be glad it happened and not sad it’s over”

I was at the Pitt game and it was glorious, as well as multiple nattys. Great times. Great memories.

IMO there’s not the tools in place to Lazarus the program. It’s not going to happen....and I actually don’t care.

POD Knows
November 7th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Read someplace that UND got 5 third down conversions on penalties. That sounds like a lot.

ysubigred
November 7th, 2021, 07:07 PM
Read someplace that UND got 5 third down conversions on penalties. That sounds like a lot.True.
YSU had 7 penalties for 90 yards.. all at a nice stop or it seemed to be.
Niether team is ready for prime time but UND wanted it more...

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2021, 09:07 PM
Read someplace that UND got 5 third down conversions on penalties. That sounds like a lot.

You read about something as obscure as that and cannot remember where it was when the game was yesterday?

The Yo Show
November 8th, 2021, 07:01 AM
I’ll use this as a wrap-

Paladin, only thing I take exception with is the single rainbow int was due to Crenshaw being hit as he threw it. I agree with rest of this though.

ysubigred
November 8th, 2021, 07:56 AM
Paladin, only thing I take exception with is the single rainbow int was due to Crenshaw being hit as he threw it. I agree with rest of this though.Sadly our receiver caught it but he let the defender rip it out of his hands.. weak ass play all around..

Paladin1aa
November 8th, 2021, 08:47 AM
It’s Monday morning and I’m feeling extremely generous, so may as well let it all hang out. Soon, very soon , the athletic dept as well as YSU as a whole will be hit with financial cutbacks, layoffs and restructuring. Enrollment has been dropping from almost 16k at its peak to under 12k now and projected to keep falling. This bastardization of recruiting fills in a lame attempt to stop the flow. While football is going nowhere, it will have little money to work with. Those golden trips to Florida to recruit superior athletes will get cut back. Ditto Calif., Texas, etc. expect to see more auto trips to Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland and Pittsburgh to recruit in the well picked over fields left by multiple major conferences and legions of FCS programs from the East coast to the South to the Midwest. Barren is a word that comes to mind. And then there is the MAC, where most kids want because its close but far away from home. Close enough for friends and family to drive to and see you play, TV appearances on ESPN and playing major teams even if getting their brains kicked out. It’s not “ lower level” FCS.

Best get used to cut rate football at YSU. It’s happening now and in the foreseeable future. I’m preparing to critique the upcoming recruiting season. Don’t miss it.

POD Knows
November 8th, 2021, 08:51 AM
You read about something as obscure as that and cannot remember where it was when the game was yesterday?
I didn’t watch the game. I was talking to a guy from Forks that went to the game and he mentioned the penalties. Why do you care where I heard it. It apparently wasn’t that obscure or unimportant or he wouldn’t have mentioned it. He said UND dodged some bullets with YSU penalties. Not a big deal I was just curious.

Penguin Nation
November 8th, 2021, 03:37 PM
It’s Monday morning and I’m feeling extremely generous, so may as well let it all hang out. Soon, very soon , the athletic dept as well as YSU as a whole will be hit with financial cutbacks, layoffs and restructuring. Enrollment has been dropping from almost 16k at its peak to under 12k now and projected to keep falling. This bastardization of recruiting fills in a lame attempt to stop the flow. While football is going nowhere, it will have little money to work with. Those golden trips to Florida to recruit superior athletes will get cut back. Ditto Calif., Texas, etc. expect to see more auto trips to Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland and Pittsburgh to recruit in the well picked over fields left by multiple major conferences and legions of FCS programs from the East coast to the South to the Midwest. Barren is a word that comes to mind. And then there is the MAC, where most kids want because its close but far away from home. Close enough for friends and family to drive to and see you play, TV appearances on ESPN and playing major teams even if getting their brains kicked out. It’s not “ lower level” FCS.

Best get used to cut rate football at YSU. It’s happening now and in the foreseeable future. I’m preparing to critique the upcoming recruiting season. Don’t miss it.

I’m not an accountant :) but it seems logical to support your revenue generating sports, and not create sports (bowling) that divert funding that could go to revenue generation. Also, you could play G5 in addition to P5 in the OOC schedule. If you wanted to fiscally destroy the Athletic Department, you’d do exactly what moRon has been doing.

Paladin1aa
November 8th, 2021, 04:03 PM
I’m not an accountant :) but it seems logical to support your revenue generating sports, and not create sports (bowling) that divert funding that could go to revenue generation. Also, you could play G5 in addition to P5 in the OOC schedule. If you wanted to fiscally destroy the Athletic Department, you’d do exactly what moRon has been doing.

Here is my guess and it is a guess - you are required to have some many sports to remain D-I. YSU has been adding multiple sports while operating revenue fell. Most are small team or individual sports (golf, tennis, bowling, etc) where seasons are short and travel limited. I see cash hogs, like baseball, where huge numbers of games and out of town travel ( read Florida and Southern tournaments) and a sizable roster are prime for cuts. Many of these add no revenue like football or basketball. Add in Tressel had a clause in his employment contract where he got a bonus each year enrollment went up . To my knowledge, he collected one year. But that happened with the expansion of sports teams and they were handing out all kinds of schollies to everyone. Better to get half loaves of bread than no loaves at all, so the enticement was there to get people enrolled. Many local kids I know talked about going with the YSU help which got some higher numbers and more revenue. But the dam is about to burst. Operating expenses across the spectrum are relentless while enrollment falls and all expenses are under the microscope. So expensive sports with lots of travel , big rosters are prime for elimination while newer, small roster teams with limited travel will prevail. Meanwhile the money sports survive, but with budget cuts, limited expenses and support ( recruiting,etc) frozen with no new money.

The academic programs are already lined up for wholesale eliminations of dept. and courses. The bloodbath is underway.