PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards for Heisman??

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think Edwards has a legit chance to atleast have his name mentioned for the Heisman trophy after today's win over Michigan. Every once in a while there's been 1, 1-AA(FCS) player that comes along that is noted for their greatness, Steve McNair and Randy Moss most recently. I think people will follow App States progress enough that the media machine might get behind it. He has the team to put the numbers and the W's. Just saying there's a chance. xrotatehx

UNHWildCats
September 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM
heisman candidate based on one performance? He won, solid performance but heisman??? he had 2 INTS, thats almost a third of what Santos had all last season....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM
heisman candidate based on one performance? He won, solid performance but heisman??? he had 2 INTS, thats almost a third of what Santos had all last season....

I wasn't talking a trip to New York really just that if App State keeps winning and he puts up big numbers through the air and on the ground people will take notice. People who don't follow FCS will continue to keep an Eye on App State if they keep the ball rolling.

NDSUFREAK
September 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM
wow, lets not get ahead of ourselves........geez

Cap'n Cat
September 1st, 2007, 11:58 PM

Agreed.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2007, 12:00 AM

I believe people are not understanding the point i was trying to get across. Every number of years a 1-AA player comes along that gets pretty big pub, Randy Moss and Steve McNeir for example. People now know App State and usually the starting QB, if he's very good, gets attention. I didn't mean to imply i thought he was going to win the heisman or go to New York just that i believe this victory will bring added attention to him that's difficult for 1-AA players to receive.

CopperCat
September 2nd, 2007, 12:11 AM
Let's just give App the BCS title while we're at it.xrolleyesx

One game doesn't mean that a guy should be in the running for the Heisman, or even to be mentioned at the event.

UNHWildCats
September 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM

One game doesn't mean that a guy should be in the running for the Heisman, or even to be mentioned at the event.

Heck this one game dont even make him the Payton favorite.... still too early and hes on pace for 22 INTs xeekx xeekx xeekx

NDSUFREAK
September 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
don't worry guys, we're gonna go through this season AND offseason about this win from the App State Posters :D :D
but seriously, it was a great win, celebrate it, move on to the next game

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM

LOL, you people aren't reading what i was saying. App States score will be given every week now until they lose. They have the nations longest winning streak and now have the most notable win ever atleast according to the media. I'm not saying he's going to win the heisman. All i said is he now has the possibility to be the most recognized 1-AA athlete since Moss and Pennington. 1-AA players do get attention, it's happened in the past and it will happen again. I don't think what i'm saying is far fetched. Get the Heisman anology out of your head. It had reference to his 1-AA peers.

Poly Pigskin
September 2nd, 2007, 03:04 AM
LOL, you people aren't reading what i was saying. App States score will be given every week now until they lose. They have the nations longest winning streak and now have the most notable win ever atleast according to the media. I'm not saying he's going to win the heisman. All i said is he now has the possibility to be the most recognized 1-AA athlete since Moss and Pennington. 1-AA players do get attention, it's happened in the past and it will happen again. I don't think what i'm saying is far fetched. Get the Heisman anology out of your head. It had reference to his 1-AA peers.

I'm with you on this. The Heisman has turned into the DI FBS QB/RB award for many years, and even if they don't win it's great to see other players get some recognition. Forget about the numbers, just watch how he played today. I thought it was a fantastic performance, and he is clearly better than many (most?) FBS QBs. Clearly he won't be a finalist, but let's hear some talk about Edwards for a few weeks, it'll be fun! xbowx xnodx xbowx

chantster
September 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
First time I saw this kid play was in a playoff game in 2003. My son's team was up by two scores late in the third quarter. Greenwood makes a QB change and this skinny, left handed soph with a funny release comes in. All he did was run for two scores and pass for another to win the game.

I love high school football in SC, and I keep up with all the teams and players. There was nothing special about Armanti, except he won football
games. He was not highly touted, no stars next to his name. He did make the Shrine Bowl (All Star) Team, but did not see much action.

Only FBS team interested enough to offer was New Mexico State. And they wanted him to move to wideout.

Jerry Moore and his ASU staff watched his Shrine Bowl practices and decided to offer. With Richie Williams gone, they needed a versatile QB to run their spread offense. Trey Elder, another South Carolina product did well when Richie went down with an injury. But, he lacked speed.

ASU fans can correct me, but I think after ASU lost to NC State last year, Armanti got his first start the following week. And he has yet to lose a game as a starter for ASU. The scary part is Armanti is only a true soph.

http://scvarsity.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=36897&sport=1#colleges

mountain man
September 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
First time I saw this kid play was in a playoff game in 2003. My son's team was up by two scores late in the third quarter. Greenwood makes a QB change and this skinny, left handed soph with a funny release comes in. All he did was run for two scores and pass for another to win the game.

I love high school football in SC, and I keep up with all the teams and players. There was nothing special about Armanti, except he won football
games. He was not highly touted, no stars next to his name. He did make the Shrine Bowl (All Star) Team, but did not see much action.

Only FBS team interested enough to offer was New Mexico State. And they wanted him to move to wideout.

Jerry Moore and his ASU staff watched his Shrine Bowl practices and decided to offer. With Richie Williams gone, they needed a versatile QB to run their spread offense. Trey Elder, another South Carolina product did well when Richie went down with an injury. But, he lacked speed.

ASU fans can correct me, but I think after ASU lost to NC State last year, Armanti got his first start the following week. And he has yet to lose a game as a starter for ASU. The scary part is Armanti is only a true soph.

http://scvarsity.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=36897&sport=1#colleges

After NCSU, Elder started the following week vs JMU and then Edwards got the start against Mars Hill in week #3. As a starter he is 14-0.xthumbsupx

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
No intention of taking anything away from yesterday's win.......Edwards is still young and will make mistakes.

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
AE needs to work on winning the Peyton first xnodx

pete4256
September 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
If Adrian Peterson couldn't crack the top ten in Hesiman balloting, I'm not sure if another FCS player will ever get the kind of recogition that Moss and McNair did.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Jerry Moore and his ASU staff watched his Shrine Bowl practices and decided to offer. With Richie Williams gone, they needed a versatile QB to run their spread offense. Trey Elder, another South Carolina product did well when Richie went down with an injury. But, he lacked speed. http://scvarsity.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=36897&sport=1#colleges

Not to nit-pick but Trey was and is actually faster than Richie; he just isn't elusive. They are two different skill sets but Trey just can't slip out of tackles like Armanti and Richie could and keep his balance to rumble another 15-20 yards.
Now to the topic of the thread. I remember a kid in the mid-90s that played both O and D that finished in the top 5-10 for Heisman vote getters that was in the FCS. I don't remember his name or school but I do distinctly remember that if anyone else can back me up on that it would be appreciated.
As far as Edwards is concerned, IMO this is K Rich's team. If anyone wins the Payton it will be him. Edwards will definitely be on the Watch List in 08 and 09 and most likely will be on this year's final list but as of right now the only Mountaineer on that list is Kevin and that is because he is the best offensive player in the skill positions (I think many know our LG Kerry Brown is the best player but he is on the O-line) on this team.

Minuteman87
September 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'd love to see an FCS player win the Heisman, but...

Edwards has almost no chance. But if the school promotes him properly (and that's what it's all about folks) he could certainly get some votes. Remember Gordie Lockbaum, the great two-way player for Holy Cross in the 80s? He was 5th as a junior and third as a senior in 87 (behind Tim Brown and Don McPherson).

In 1985, Joe Dudek, a RB at Div. III Plymouth State in NH finished 9th. (Bo Jackson won that year).

So there is a possibility he'd get some consideration. I'd love to see it happen.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Remember Gordie Lockbaum, the great two-way player for Holy Cross in the 80s? He was 5th as a junior and third as a senior in 87 (behind Tim Brown and Don McPherson).

That was the guy I was thinking of! I thought it was in the 90s but I knew I wasn't going dillusional... Thanks for throwing his name out there!

FormerPokeCenter
September 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Who cares if it's delusional to think a Playoff Series athlete could win the Heisman. The mere fact that he gets mentioned is enough. More power to them...

JDC325
September 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=35

WOW????

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
i ranked 'em! like i do all of you!

danefan
September 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM
He's also gotten 465 first place votes so far.

GannonFan
September 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Heck, I don't think he even has a great shot to win the Payton. xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
September 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Heck, I don't think he even has a great shot to win the Payton. xpeacex
That's ok, he's got 2 more years after this anyway. :D

GannonFan
September 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
That's ok, he's got 2 more years after this anyway. :D

Agreed - he might down the road, but he's got a lot of tough competitors to beat out this year.

mikebigg
September 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM
He was the best qb on the field on Saturday... I hadn't posted on this but no way was that a slight at App State. Helluva win...

I remember saying we (the ICON) wanted a piece of App State, well that still is the case but not just right now. Might wanna let yall cool off for a season or two. Man, yall hot!!!!!

Again Congrats!

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
He was the best qb on the field on Saturday... I hadn't posted on this but no way was that a slight at App State. Helluva win...

I remember saying we (the ICON) wanted a piece of App State, well that still is the case but not just right now. Might wanna let yall cool off for a season or two. Man, yall hot!!!!!

Again Congrats!

no they're hot, hot, hot!

Griz0383
September 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
mama told me that when your at the top there is only one wat to go!!! It's a long season with many surprizes to come!!!

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Adrian Peterson Also was mentoined for Heisman, but when it was all said and done was not even close, i'm sure armanti will be the same.

BULLDOG8180
September 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
There was nothing special about Armanti, except he won football games.

Too bad you didn't get to see him his senior year in HS, you would not say there was nothing special. He had a huge senior year, passed for over 2400 yds and rushed for more than 1200.

BULLDOG8180
September 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Heck this one game dont even make him the Payton favorite.... still too early and hes on pace for 22 INTs xeekx xeekx xeekx

and 33 tds throwing and 11 tds rushing (not counting play-off games)

appfan2008
September 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
his name will plummit and no one will mention him by the end of the year but of course he has two more ahead of him

mikebigg
September 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
no they're hot, hot, hot!

And that's good for football and our division. It shows kids that you might get passed over by the big schools but FCS has all the talent and competition you can handle. If you can play down here, there's a possibility that you can develop enuff to play on an even higher level. If not... hey, you've enjoyed a wonderful college experience with fans who cheer just as loud, even if it's not as many!

ronpayne
September 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Adrian Peterson Also was mentoined for Heisman, but when it was all said and done was not even close, i'm sure armanti will be the same.

But you have to admit its still cool as heck that he even got mentioned. None of us really expect him to win - he can't against the competition (compared to the "top" FBS schools playing each other), but its awesome that a FCS QB from Appalaychun (ESPN here...) even got his name mentioned!

AZGrizFan
September 6th, 2007, 12:26 AM

I'd say Jackson before Armani. xnodx

GolfingGriz
September 6th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I dont think that Armanti getting mentioned, obviously not as a leading candidate, but just getting mentioned is that far fetched. He just lead his team to victory in the biggest win in 1-AA/FCS history. Some people are degrading him because he is on pace for alot of picks, but that point is invalid. He obviously wont throw 22 picks, and stats aren't everything. Last year Troy Smith was not the best player in college football, but he was the leader of the best team. His play in the big games wasnt spectacular, but solid and good enough to win. If ASU can continue winning and Armanti plays well, I would be surprised if he wasn't mentioned.