PDA

View Full Version : Question on CAA stadium requirements

MUHAWKS
October 31st, 2021, 07:09 PM
I could have swore I saw someone post here during the “who will replace jmu etc “ talk that they have 8k minimum capacity req. I care Bc there was always the thought that we (Monmouth) would eventually go to the CAA/ and we don’t even have 8k but there is no way URI does so is this really a thing??

Tribe4SF
October 31st, 2021, 07:33 PM
URI capacity is 5,180 so I can't imagine that's a real thing. Monmouth has demonstrated a commitment to playing top level FCS football and should be considered.

hengeek
October 31st, 2021, 09:46 PM
I remember when the CAA expanded with the Elon/SUNY schools, there was something to the effect that the league wanted a minimum of 10k seat FB stadiums. Stony Brook expanded from like 8.5k to present 12.5k and Albany I think is still at 8.5k but Albany just built their stadium. Also, Elon had a newly renovated 1800 seat BB area and a few years later had a plus 5k arena. Not sure if there is a source about the seating requirements but just remember reading that. Maybe those expansions were part of the agreement.

Sidenote: in 2015, then governor Cuomo vetoed a $22.2 million renovation for SB football stadium so there might be a freeze on the SUNY schools' expansion but now that Cuomo is gone...

When I heard that Monmouth and those other 4 were being courted I just assumed it was probably some reporter trying to create something for ratings. I'm not so sure about that list of schools. Looks too desperate.

Fact: Back then the CAA was also trying to add Albany, Stony Brook and Fairfield as full members but Hoftsra's president blocked it. Their president is gone now so I wonder if the CAA might be courting them again. I think they fit better potential wise. No disrespect to Monmouth, they just can't expand. I do wish they could though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
October 31st, 2021, 09:53 PM
Judging by recent attendance this is much ado about nothing

DFW HOYA
October 31st, 2021, 10:55 PM
If the CAA wants a big stadium, call Holy Cross.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a0/c7/3a/a0c73a4a9eb2d9cf35ea07d6ff3e18df--holy-cross-football-stuff.jpg

hengeek
October 31st, 2021, 11:05 PM
I think Lehigh would be great too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

clenz
October 31st, 2021, 11:14 PM
If the CAA wants a big stadium, call Holy Cross.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a0/c7/3a/a0c73a4a9eb2d9cf35ea07d6ff3e18df--holy-cross-football-stuff.jpg
Is that one of the fist color photos ever taken?

UNHWildcat18
November 1st, 2021, 05:28 AM
I believe it was 8k requirement when Ualbany built their stadium. Also URI was grandfathered into this, as was UNH before finishing the new half of a stadium.

Sucks you can't expand but going from JMU's stadium to Monmouth..........is far less than Ideal.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 1st, 2021, 06:49 AM
Some of these numbers are off, Rhody capacity is 8K, they averaged 5,888 in 2019. Doesn't really matter how large your stadium is if no one goes. Monmouth average attendance in 2019 was 2,780 capacity 4,200 so making the stadium larger probably would not help. Here is the latest attendance figures from 2019.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2019.pdf

MUHAWKS
November 1st, 2021, 06:54 AM
Thanks all for the info/input. I think we "can" expand, but like some note, we only fill the 5k up now 1 out of every 10 games and 1 was our home playoff game and the other was Holy Cross at home this season (whoops). I hate the Big South mostly b/c of geography but also continuity and frankly if we want to be a top program clearly even a JMU less CAA is the better route so hope something happens.

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2021, 08:08 AM

........NO LID ON DAT BABY..........WE PLAY OUTDOOR SPORTS....OUTDOORS.....IN DIS TIME ZONE........AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2021, 08:16 AM

.....NO NEED FO' WORRY-MENT......MONO'S...........VILLANOVA.....SOMETIMES .....SHIPS OUT UH HOME GAME.....TA UH SOCCER STADIUM...........AWK!

ps......YOUSE CAN NOW GET UH CUBAN SANDWICH @ YOU-DEE........BRAWK!

clenz
November 1st, 2021, 11:53 AM
........NO LID ON DAT BABY..........WE PLAY OUTDOOR SPORTS....OUTDOORS.....IN DIS TIME ZONE........AWK!
Not my deal if you want to give up the extra revenue a dome brings in. Do what makes you happy I guess.

Even if it means building a 30k seat stadium and putting 250 people in it.

Sader87
November 1st, 2021, 12:10 PM

Hardy har har.....though it probably is pushing on almost 40 years ago....probably a Homecoming game sometime in the mid-1980s.

clenz
November 1st, 2021, 12:22 PM
Hardy har har.....though it probably is pushing on almost 40 years ago....probably a Homecoming game sometime in the mid-1980s.
I'm 33

At this point, when things are older than me they are officially "****ing old". Not people related but photos, success of a program, cars, etc.

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2021, 01:21 PM
Not my deal if you want to give up the extra revenue a dome brings in. Do what makes you happy I guess.

Even if it means building a 30k seat stadium and putting 250 people in it.

.....UMMM.....YER MISERY VALLEY SIDELINE REPORTER......mvfcfan.........SAYS DUH DOME BROUGHT IN UH WHOPPIN' 5902......FO' BIG TIME SHOWDOWN......WHIFF DUH EGYPTIANS..........WE COVERED DAT.....AGIN DIXIE STATE...............SOME UH DEESE EAST COAST STADIUMS WERE PACKED....BACK IN DUH DAY.....BUT SOCIETY HAS CHANGED LAD.......BRAWK!!

caribbeanhen
November 1st, 2021, 01:28 PM

.....UMMM.....YER MISERY VALLEY SIDELINE REPORTER......mvfcfan.........SAYS DUH DOME BROUGHT IN UH WHOPPIN' 5902......FO' BIG TIME SHOWDOWN......WHIFF DUH EGYPTIANS..........WE COVERED DAT.....AGIN DIXIE STATE...............SOME UH DEESE EAST COAST STADIUMS WERE PACKED....BACK IN DUH DAY.....BUT SOCIETY HAS CHANGED LAD.......BRAWK!!

Right on Mr C

Give me the elements, dreary dome makes me stay home

clenz
November 1st, 2021, 01:34 PM

The dome was packed back in the day too

There is a lot that goes into the UNI attendance issues, which I won't get into here. They are being beaten to death on the UNI forum. It starts with incompetence at the top of the athletic department but that's neither here nor there.

Notice I was speaking of money beyond football. The dome can be, and is, used year round for a number of different events. Using the stadium in January without the roof doesn't happen. Instead UNI is hosting events in the dome and using it as a revenue source.

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2021, 01:43 PM
The dome was packed back in the day too

There is a lot that goes into the UNI attendance issues, which I won't get into here. They are being beaten to death on the UNI forum. It starts with incompetence at the top of the athletic department but that's neither here nor there.

Notice I was speaking of money beyond football. The dome can be, and is, used year round for a number of different events. Using the stadium in January without the roof doesn't happen. Instead UNI is hosting events in the dome and using it as a revenue source.

.....DELAWARE.....AN' ANY OTHERAH COLLEGE....BACK HERE.......HAS POTENTIAL TA EARN DUCATS....YEAR ROUND..............BRAWK!