PDA

View Full Version : THE BIG SOUTH- MONMOUTH/KENNESAW

MUHAWKS
October 30th, 2021, 04:06 PM
With 3 games left and Monmouth playing @ Kennesaw the last week of the season, both teams just have to win 1 of their next 2 to make that last game be for the conference. It was always pretty much going to come down to that game anyway, but even if either team had slipped up or slips up and loses 1 game that game still would be the tiebreaker head to head anyway since now no other team can finish with less than 2 losses.

I am VERY excited about Monmouth again as we seem to be playing "better" football. But I will be 100% honest, we are not playing even close to our best. I think the recipe is still there to improve more and eliminate some mistakes and take it up another level or two which will be needed to make any noise anyway- We are still slightly banged up but I am hoping we are as full go as we can get for the last 3. We beat NC A&T 35-16 today and our stud RB Juwon Farri was held out with a nagging hammy. We also played the entire second half without The other pre season conf player of the year, safety Anthony Budd, and still the game was never too much in doubt, although frankly I do not think we played great. Like I said it feels like we are about to start to peak soon and it would be at the exact right time.

Kennesaw needed a semi miraculous finish to beat a feisty Gardener Webb team and I was impressed that they did it by throwing the ball which they sort of had to being down 3 with only 40 seconds left and the ball on their own 25.

Assuming both teams take care of business at least 1 of the next 2 weeks (both playing Robert Morris and North Alabama) it sets up yet another huge showdown for all the marbles in the last week. Kennesaw however if they win the next 2 would still almost definitely get in as an at large as they would be 9-2 with an FBS loss and a loss to MU who in this example would be a ranked conf. champ.

The last few weeks Monmouth has looked a lot more like the 2019 playoff team and the 2020 Spring team although like I said the overall consistency is not fully there and some injuries are hurting us a bit. Everyone has injuries, not an excuse whatsoever just saying that if we can get a little more healthy I get the feel this team is about to peak at the right time. I am chalking Holy Cross up to us just being flat and a perfect storm hitting- an FBS loss and than the Princeton game in which we somehow were in control for 3 quarters and let it slip away on some crazy plays and just losing focus to lose by 3.

This could be a classic last game of the season if things go as planned the next 2 weeks.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2021, 05:28 PM
you got this

- - - Updated - - -

you got this

Reign of Terrier
October 30th, 2021, 05:44 PM
If Kennesaw wins: Big South is a one bid league.

If Monmouth wins: at large for Kennesaw.

MUHAWKS
October 30th, 2021, 05:54 PM
If Kennesaw wins: Big South is a one bid league.

If Monmouth wins: at large for Kennesaw.

No doubt- not even a question. Begs the question however- Lets say Monmouth had not given up the big lead against Princeton and won the game-(we lost 31-28) just for the sake of argument.. but loses to Kennesaw. Would THAT 8-3 Monmouth team get an at large? I say almost definitely not. Right? Yet, they would have the same # of FCS wins as Kennesaw (8) they would both have 1 "good" win against a ranked team (although Jacksonville state may finish with 3 wins) . both have an FBS loss and Monmouth so far is beating The Big south teams easier and better than Kennesaw. So I guess what I am saying is, does Kennesaw really deserve an at large if they lose to us and go 9-2? Wofford (no offense) is proving to not be very good. The ONLY reason I can think of for Kennesaw to still go is that either they are giving The Big South more credit for being better than people think or people just love Kennesaw? Again, think about what I wrote. Was 1 play away from maybe being very real and I do not think ANYONE would say an 8-3 Monmouth team should get an at large (assuming they had beaten Princeton) so why in the world would Kennesaw get one if they lose to us?

HootyHoo
October 30th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Hypothetically, 9-2 with an 8-1 FCS record is definitely deserving of an At-large. However, KSU should leave no doubt and win the conference.

BurialGround
October 30th, 2021, 06:02 PM
You guys are a very bad matchup for our defense, just like GWU was. But you guys have much better athletes. On top of that, our offense constantly shoots itself in the foot. KSU has to turn this into a shoot-out or it'll be ugly. I know I've said this 20 times on here, but we're not the same team that beat you in 2017 and 2018. We don't have the defensive coaching anymore. Our secondary lacks even the most basic fundamentals. Just look at the last 10 minutes against GWU. Our front seven is good, and more physical than it was over the last two seasons. But if you can neutralize our front seven, you will have a heyday on our defense.

Reign of Terrier
October 30th, 2021, 06:03 PM
7-4 Monmouth with no quality wins doesn't get in the playoffs. 8-3 may have. Historically, it's hard to exclude an 8 win team but very easy to exclude a 7 win one.

Kennesaw, on the other hand, at 9-2 is a proven commodity in the FCS playoffs, even if they don't play a tough schedule during the regular season.

MUHAWKS
October 30th, 2021, 06:11 PM
Hypothetically, 9-2 with an 8-1 FCS record is definitely deserving of an At-large. However, KSU should leave no doubt and win the conference.

Even though I am a Monmouth fan I still actually like and respect Kennesaw so I am not hating but I am trying to decipher if people hate the Big South so much why 9-2 with 8-1 FCS is definitely deserving with only 1 "good" win and that win gets worse and worse each week? If that is the case than surely Monmouth would have been a shoe in at large @ 8-3 (8-2 FCS) with a win over a top 10-15 team (had they beaten Princeton this is hypothetical) and only 2 FCS losses to playoff teams (assuming HC beats Fordham). But let's be serious, If Monmouth had beaten Princeton and lost to Kennesaw there would be zero chance we would get in. I get that it is sort of dumb to talk about and yes I want to win the conf and get in that way but forget hypothetical for s second-- let's say we lose to Kennesaw by 3 pts but win the other 2 in convincing fashion-. We would be 7-4 with 7 FCS wins and 1 FBS loss. ALL THREE LOSSES would be either against top 7-12 ranked programs (Kennesaw would be ranked 7-10 by then and Princeton could be 10-15 and/or playoff teams (assuming Holy Cross beats Fordham) with 2 very very close losses in there and we would have beaten The Big South teams comparatively better (assuming same form holds)..I just do not see how that does not even garner conversation (no bad losses, 2 razor tight losses to top 10 teams, all losses to playoff teams) with several blowouts of teams? I am NOT saying they would def deserve it but than why would Kennesaw?? I am NOT hating on Kennesaw just trying to see the Logic?

MUHAWKS
October 30th, 2021, 06:13 PM
7-4 Monmouth with no quality wins doesn't get in the playoffs. 8-3 may have. Historically, it's hard to exclude an 8 win team but very easy to exclude a 7 win one.

Kennesaw, on the other hand, at 9-2 is a proven commodity in the FCS playoffs, even if they don't play a tough schedule during the regular season.

Fair enough and I basically agree- just playing devils advocate and still fkin P8ssed about blowing the Princeton game!

MUHAWKS
October 30th, 2021, 06:16 PM
You guys are a very bad matchup for our defense, just like GWU was. But you guys have much better athletes. On top of that, our offense constantly shoots itself in the foot. KSU has to turn this into a shoot-out or it'll be ugly. I know I've said this 20 times on here, but we're not the same team that beat you in 2017 and 2018. We don't have the defensive coaching anymore. Our secondary lacks even the most basic fundamentals. Just look at the last 10 minutes against GWU. Our front seven is good, and more physical than it was over the last two seasons. But if you can neutralize our front seven, you will have a heyday on our defense.

You really think so? I was very impressed with Kennesaw D when I watched you play NC A&T and after seeing them today they are sort of decent just have no cue how to win. They were decent upfront. I only saw the last GWU drive..What may be different on D though could be compensated with the fact that it seems you can actually throw the ball? In the past if you get up on KSU by 17 its game over. It looks like the game will def be for the de facto championship as all each of has to do is win 1 of the next 2 to make that game be for the chip. I am scared of North Alabama,, I know that sounds nuts but they have legit players I am not sure how they are not better.

BurialGround
October 30th, 2021, 06:56 PM
You really think so? I was very impressed with Kennesaw D when I watched you play NC A&T and after seeing them today they are sort of decent just have no cue how to win. They were decent upfront. I only saw the last GWU drive..What may be different on D though could be compensated with the fact that it seems you can actually throw the ball? In the past if you get up on KSU by 17 its game over. It looks like the game will def be for the de facto championship as all each of has to do is win 1 of the next 2 to make that game be for the chip. I am scared of North Alabama,, I know that sounds nuts but they have legit players I am not sure how they are not better.

Smoke and mirrors. Our front seven dominates lesser teams and masks the problems with our secondary. A&T had guys running wide open on every play, but we either got to their QB before he saw them, their WRs dropped the pass, or their QB just missed. GWU was the first team to expose us back there. I'm sure your coaches took note.

You're right though, we can actually throw the ball and maybe come back even if we're two touchdowns behind.

MUHAWKS
October 30th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Smoke and mirrors. Our front seven dominates lesser teams and masks the problems with our secondary. A&T had guys running wide open on every play, but we either got to their QB before he saw them, their WRs dropped the pass, or their QB just missed. GWU was the first team to expose us back there. I'm sure your coaches took note.

You're right though, we can actually throw the ball and maybe come back even if we're two touchdowns behind.

I am planning on going to the game 11/20 - assuming it matters and all each of us need to do is win 1 of the next 2 for that to happen so I am planning on going. Thing is I am truly scared to fly- I have flown several times and each time it gets worse and worse. I know that is crazy but it is true. Last time I had to take Xanax and it was not helping so I drank and the mix was NOT GOOD so I may actually take The Amtrak to Atlanta LOL- not joking.

BurialGround
October 31st, 2021, 03:00 PM
I am planning on going to the game 11/20 - assuming it matters and all each of us need to do is win 1 of the next 2 for that to happen so I am planning on going. Thing is I am truly scared to fly- I have flown several times and each time it gets worse and worse. I know that is crazy but it is true. Last time I had to take Xanax and it was not helping so I drank and the mix was NOT GOOD so I may actually take The Amtrak to Atlanta LOL- not joking.

Lol, try Valium or Ativan and take the flight. Soothing an irrational fear isn't worth being cooped up in a train all day.

caribbeanhen
October 31st, 2021, 03:21 PM

Now I don’t fell so bad for making them pull me out of the MRI tube the other day, attack of claustrophobia no thanks I don’t need this ****

MUHAWKS
October 31st, 2021, 04:23 PM
Lol, try Valium or Ativan and take the flight. Soothing an irrational fear isn't worth being cooped up in a train all day.

DEF an irrational fear I get the "math" but what I tell folks is a roller coaster 99.9% of the time is not going to kill you or hurt you either but the feeling it gives some folks sucks.. For me in a plane I have that same roller coaster feeling for at least 1/3 of the flight and the other 2/3 is just constant worry.. Sucks..

MUHAWKS
October 31st, 2021, 04:26 PM
Now I don’t fell so bad for making them pull me out of the MRI tube the other day, attack of claustrophobia no thanks I don’t need this ****

Dude if you are being serious about this same stuff with me and it is NOT who I am- The plane sh8t used to be my only problem. I am a big guy, 22 inch neck over 300 lbs and the fkin MRI machine is awful. I do not understand why it cannot be like a CT scan where I am comfy and tons of room. Just a few months ago I asked out of the MRI- was right in my face zero room to move any part of my body and i freaked out.. Then I tried an "open" MRI and same thing b/c although I could move my arms the thing was still 1 inch above my face. Awful.

caribbeanhen
October 31st, 2021, 05:35 PM
Dude if you are being serious about this same stuff with me and it is NOT who I am- The plane sh8t used to be my only problem. I am a big guy, 22 inch neck over 300 lbs and the fkin MRI machine is awful. I do not understand why it cannot be like a CT scan where I am comfy and tons of room. Just a few months ago I asked out of the MRI- was right in my face zero room to move any part of my body and i freaked out.. Then I tried an "open" MRI and same thing b/c although I could move my arms the thing was still 1 inch above my face. Awful.

Well I’ve never had a problem with airplanes and I’ve had a few MRI’s before without giving it a second thought, but last week they slide me into the tube and I just felt uncomfortable, just to tight and I tried to stay in but started getting a pañic feeling and I’ve never experienced that before so I squeezed the little ball and they pulled me out. No way will I ever go back in