PDA

View Full Version : A Video Clip for Travis

JoltinJoe
August 31st, 2007, 06:07 AM
Travis, I know you are a huge Mantle fan and I thought you might enjoy this clip of No. 7 dinging No. 500 (May 13, 1967):

Mantle's 500th (http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l83/JoltinJoe/?action=view&current=ALL_CENTURY_TEAM-29.flv)

Mantle was never one to shop up a pitcher and he's true to form here. He would just put his head down and run the bases as quickly as he could. Even as fans jump on the field to congratulate him,, Mantle just keeps his head down as he enters the dugout.

It's tough to watch him run in this video though. His knees were plainly gone by 1967.

This is from the All Century Team DVD. If you don't' have it, you may want to spring for it. Some great stuff for a baseball fan:

All Century Team DVD (http://www.amazon.com/Major-League-Baseball-Century-Team/dp/B00004Y509/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2517348-1740969?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1188559415&sr=1-1)

BlueHen86
August 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Travis, I know you are a huge Mantle fan and I thought you might enjoy this clip of No. 7 dinging No. 500 (May 13, 1967):

Mantle's 500th (http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l83/JoltinJoe/?action=view&current=ALL_CENTURY_TEAM-29.flv)

Mantle was never one to shop up a pitcher and he's true to form here. He would just put his head down and run the bases as quickly as he could. Even as fans jump on the field to congratulate him,, Mantle just keeps his head down as he enters the dugout.

It's tough to watch him run in this video though. His knees were plainly gone by 1967.

This is from the All Century Team DVD. If you don't' have it, you may want to spring for it. Some great stuff for a baseball fan:

All Century Team DVD (http://www.amazon.com/Major-League-Baseball-Century-Team/dp/B00004Y509/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2517348-1740969?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1188559415&sr=1-1)

You're right. Kirk Gibson looks more comfortable rounding the bases in the '88 World Series than Mickey does there. To think he played for years with that pain.

I saw Mickey hit a homer person, the ball went right over my head and landed about 5 rows behind me.

Ivytalk
August 31st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Joe, when I saw the title, I diddn't know whether the video would highlight the Yankees or B.D. Wong!:p

Glad it was the Yankees! Hard to believe that was 40 years ago.:o The Mick sure had a sweet swing.

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Why were his knees so bad? xconfusedx

p.s....I would have LOVED to be a left handed hitter playing for the Yankees all these years.....that short porch is a joke.

BlueHen86
August 31st, 2007, 01:57 PM

p.s....I would have LOVED to be a left handed hitter playing for the Yankees all these years.....that short porch is a joke.
Lots of injuries, starting in high school. The worst may have been in his first World Series when he tore cartilage in his right knee stopping suddenly and catching his foot in a drain. Hurts my knee just thinking about it.

JoltinJoe
August 31st, 2007, 02:02 PM

Seven knee surgeries in the days long before arthroscopic surgery. During one of the surgeries, he received tainted blood that caused the Hepatitis-C infection that eventually killed him.

Mantle was a switch hitter incidentally (the best ever) who mainly hit to the power allies. He was not usually a pull hitter from either side of the plate. They say he lost an average of 15-20 homers a year hitting deep to left-center at the old Yankee Stadium. The power alley there was 457 feet.

He also hit two balls during his career off the copper frieze of the roof of the old Stadium. So if you're suggesting Mantle's HR totals were inflated by the right-field porch, I think you're pretty mistaken about that.

BTW, if Mantle had managed as many at-bats as Henry Aaron, his career numbers project to 818 homers. Of the many amazing statistics Mantle amassed in his career, perhaps the most suprising is that, due to his many injuries, he only had 8,102 official at bats but still managed to hit over 500 home runs. If you look at Mantle's career in perspective, you will understand why Bill James rates Mantle at his peak as the best baseball player ever.

Mickey Mantle's 10 Longest Home Runs (http://www.themick.com/10homers.html#Home Run #6)

Col Hogan
August 31st, 2007, 02:14 PM
I remember seeing him, Maris and Yaz play...my Dad took me to a Sox Yankees game for my birthday...

During BP, Mantle put them into the deepest part of Fenway with ease...

Ivytalk
August 31st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Seven knee surgeries in the days long before arthroscopic surgery. During one of the surgeries, he received tainted blood that caused the Hepatitis-C infection that eventually killed him.

Mantle was a switch hitter incidentally (the best ever) who mainly hit to the power allies. He was not usually a pull hitter from either side of the plate. They say he lost an average of 15-20 homers a year hitting deep to left-center at the old Yankee Stadium. The power alley there was 457 feet.

He also hit two balls during his career off the copper frieze of the roof of the old Stadium. So if you're suggesting Mantle's HR totals were inflated by the right-field porch, I think you're pretty mistaken about that.

BTW, if Mantle had managed as many at-bats as Henry Aaron, his career numbers project to 818 homers. Of the many amazing statistics Mantle amassed in his career, perhaps the most suprising is that, due to his many injuries, he only had 8,102 official at bats but still managed to hit over 500 home runs. If you look at Mantle's career in perspective, you will understand why Bill James rates Mantle at his peak as the best baseball player ever.

Mickey Mantle's 10 Longest Home Runs (http://www.themick.com/10homers.html#Home Run #6)

Mantle Tape Measure #10 was hit off Bob Cain, the same guy who pitched to midget Eddie Gaedel.xreadx

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM

Not really suggesting that, although I'm sure it helped a little.... ;) ;) ;)

I loved Mantle as a player....never knew much about him as a person other than his rep as a power drinker....never knew it was Hep C that killed him either....Sad story all the way around....xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

JoltinJoe
August 31st, 2007, 06:12 PM
Mantle Tape Measure #10 was hit off Bob Cain, the same guy who pitched to midget Eddie Gaedel.xreadx

The artist Bill Purdom created an image of the 1956 homer off Pedro Ramos, when Mantle hit the Yankee Stadium roof (#6) It is a limited edition of 600 and I was lucky enough to find one a few years back.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l83/JoltinJoe/mantlelong.jpg

My uncle was at the game when Mantle hit the roof again in 1963 (No. 1 on the list). He really couldn't say whether, as reported, the ball was still rising when it hit the roof but he did say that the ball did in fact rebound all the way back to where the second baseman was standing near the infield!

I'm no expert in physics but I can't fathom how a ball on the descent is going to rebound that far.

NDSUFREAK
September 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Joe, when I saw the title, I diddn't know whether the video would highlight the Yankees or B.D. Wong!:p

Glad it was the Yankees! Hard to believe that was 40 years ago.:o The Mick sure had a sweet swing.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bulldog10jw
September 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM

Hard to believe that Duke Snider, a Hall of Famer, was the worst centerfielder in NY in the early and mid '50's.