PDA

View Full Version : Statement from Ivy League regarding the Harvard-Princeton game

bulldog10jw
October 24th, 2021, 03:10 PM
https://ivyleague.com/index.aspx?path=football

(https://ivyleague.com/index.aspx?path=football)In the third overtime, Harvard threw a pass for a successful two-point conversion. After the play, the replay booth stopped the game for an official review. While the review did determine that the Princeton head coach called for timeout before the ball was snapped, the officiating crew made a procedural error as a timeout can only be recognized and granted prior to the snap by an on-field official and is not reviewable. Therefore, the timeout should not have been granted and the play should have resulted in a successful two-point conversion.

The outcome of the game will stand as a win for Princeton. The league office will address the error with the officials.

crusader11
October 24th, 2021, 03:17 PM
This was really awful. I mentioned in another thread, this was almost like 1972 USA v. USSR.

Tim Murphy was right to throw his hat into the turf and be absolutely furious.

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2021, 03:20 PM
This was really awful. I mentioned in another thread, this was almost like 1972 USA v. USSR.

Tim Murphy was right to throw his hat into the turf and be absolutely furious.

first basketball game I remember

smilo
October 24th, 2021, 03:23 PM
There just isn't that much separating these teams. An absolute travesty that it came down to this anyway and terrible that it wasn't in in with the rules. I almost put Harvard ahead of Princeton on my ballot. They are neck-and-neck anyway. Ivy League co-champs would be an ideal outcome, but from a fan's perspective, got to hope we run the table. Colorado 1990 gets an AP championship banner despite a 5th down fake win (in addition to its two other blemishes). An unfortunate part of the game and sad that we won't get a rematch title game.

Ivytalk
October 24th, 2021, 08:52 PM
Princeton: the Houston Astros of the Ivy League.

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2021, 08:56 PM
Only the second time I've ever seen the League apologize on behalf of the officials... the other was Lafayette-Holy Cross 2009

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2021, 08:58 PM
Dartmouth beats Princeton, Columbia beats Harvard... three-way tie :D

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 24th, 2021, 09:04 PM
There just isn't that much separating these teams. An absolute travesty that it came down to this anyway and terrible that it wasn't in in with the rules. I almost put Harvard ahead of Princeton on my ballot. They are neck-and-neck anyway. Ivy League co-champs would be an ideal outcome, but from a fan's perspective, got to hope we run the table. Colorado 1990 gets an AP championship banner despite a 5th down fake win (in addition to its two other blemishes). An unfortunate part of the game and sad that we won't get a rematch title game.

And the ludicrous "clipping" call against Notre Dame on a Rocket punt return TD late in the game in the Orange Bowl. Georgia Tech deserved the title outright....

I just can't get onboard with these new OT rules in general. Given college kickers (all levels) are pretty shaky on kicks over 35 yards I had zero issue with the old rule. Seemed the perfect "compromise" for football ebb and flow while ending the game with minimal additional "wear and tear" on the participants.

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Princeton: the Houston Astros of the Ivy League.

What does this mean Ivy

Pards Rule
October 25th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Only the second time I've ever seen the League apologize on behalf of the officials... the other was Lafayette-Holy Cross 2009

Was that the game Mark Ross got assaulted in the end zone? No PI call? I was livid as I watched that on TV!

- - - Updated - - -

Was that the game Mark Ross got assaulted in the end zone? No PI call? I was livid as I watched that on TV!

crusader11
October 25th, 2021, 11:01 AM

Scroll to 2:05:25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0-K0mPgbEQ&t=8201s

Pards Rule
October 25th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Scroll to 2:05:25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0-K0mPgbEQ&t=8201s

Thanks 11. No that wasnt it. It was early Nov of 2010 or 11. Our reciever, Mark Ross, number 10 had a TD while standing in end zone and was mugged before he could catch it. Now that I think about it, I am positive it was at Fitton so that would make it 2011. A coworker at Bank of America was a HC alum and former player, and he even agreed on Monday.